JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Company of Barber-Surgeons | December 27th- Xmas 1677

James Winchester

The Secretary

The Worshipful Company of Barber-Surgeons

To Whom it May Concern,

A most joyous season to you and yours.

I am writing in the spirit of Charity and indeed in my role as Her Majesty's Minister for Charity. Queen Karoline has taken a great interest in the welfare of the people of England, and as such is founding a Royal Infirmary, for the treatment of the sick and injured.

You may recall that I have in my own employ a Surgeon of your esteemed company working in my Free Clinic, upon whose concept the Royal Infirmary shall be based. He has been exemplary in his work, and so I am now in the position of seeking another Surgeon, for a similar position at the pending Royal Infirmary.

I would be most appreciative if you would let it be known toyour membership that I seek to employ from amongst them, and forward to me any expressions of interest.

Yours in Service

James Winchester

Baron Wentwood

Her Majesty's Minister for Charity

Knowing the habits of his old colleague at the Veteran's Hospital, the letter was accompanied by a bottle of good brandy.

• 2 weeks later...

A glimmer of amber liquid remained in the glass near his inkwell, the warming taste still pleasant within his mouth as he addressed the envelope to Her Majesty's Minister for Charity.

The envelope was embossed with a Opinicus, and bore the society's motto: De Praescientia Dei

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your missive, and upon such a laudable goal, how the peoples of England might be cheered to know the generous intentions of Her Majesty the Queen, and you her most eloquent advisor.

I can surely assure you than your enquiry shall land upon receptive ears within the committee, and would think that any number of applicants shall swiftly step forwards. Though of course there is further information that need be supplied, such as the rate of remuneration fiscal, or be it otherwise.

So it is I would extend an invitation to address the committee personally at it's next meeting upon the 29th of December at quarter after ten in the morning at Monkwell street. Whereupon you may elaborate upon that topic, and upon a certain other to which we are intent to know more of.

Our Compliments of the Season

Dr Buckley

• 8 months later...
Dear Doctor Buckley,

Thank you for you prompt reply and I would be delighted to meet with the committee and answer any questions that they might have. Alas I deeply regret that I cannot attend on the 29th; would it be possible to meet with the relevant members at a later date; perhaps the 2nd? Else I am at your disposal during daylight hours in the new year.

Yours in Service

James Winchester

Baron Wentwood

Her Majesty's Minister for Charity

Archived