JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

For The First Time In Forever [26/12, afternoon]- Xmas 1677

Tucked away in St. James’s Park, away from the oft-traveled avenues and sprawling lawns, is a grove of ancient trees. The quiet burble of a stream draws the curious explorer into a hidden glade to discover a forgotten pavilion. Its ornate construction is evocative of the Far East, and beneath the lichen, colorful paint and peeling gilt reveal that it was once a festive destination. Now, however, flowering vines have overgrown the lattice walls creating a whimsical hideaway. At some point, an especially decadent and generous visitor left an assortment of plush pillows on the bench seating, laid an old Persian rug on the plank floor, and hung a pair of lanterns from the crossbeams. The result is a perfect spot for a lovers’ rendezvous or some other covert exchange.

After Caroline's departure, Sophia left word with a servant that she would be painting in the park in case Esteban came home early and asked where she was. The park was large enough that it would be difficult to find her if he sent someone to look for her, which she doubted he would. Although she had never spoken to him about it, she believed he was aware of her penchant to seek out interesting places to paint, considering that she did it quite often. Only yesterday, she had left the house to paint and had had found herself embroiled in an unexpected adventure with the Duchess of Buccleuch and Lord Dundarg.

Now she was heading toward another adventure, this time with the intriguing Lord Arundel. After writing Don Juan about the opera and the ball, she had felt guilty and almost decided not to go, but she had convinced herself that he was only interested in friendship and had asked her to go sledding with him because he knew that she was daring and adventurous, unlike a lot of the ladies at court. Perhaps all he did want was someone to share a bit of fun with and it was possible that he might drop some tidbit of information that would be useful to Esteban.

Deep in the back of her mind, she suspected that she was only fooling herself. He had made it clear what he wanted and she had told him how to get it, though she was still not completely certain if she was the lady he was looking for. She still loved Juan with all her heart. But Henry was so very tempting ...

Life was quite confusing when one was only sixteen.

Anna was waiting for her in the stables. Sophia's painting supplies had been packed into Acapella's saddlebags and soon they were on their way. Anna, riding on one of the other horses, would accompany her to the gazebo and then hide among the trees until Lord Arundel's coach arrived. She would covertly follow them to the forest and after a predetermined signal from Sophia once she saw Lord Arundel, Anna would go and visit a friend, meeting her mistress back at the gazebo a few hours later. All the petite blonde had told her was that she was meeting a friend.

It was quite cold when they reached the pavilion. Sophia thought it was beautiful, with the vines covered in snow and glittering icicles hanging from the edges of the roof. Anna rode a short distance away until she was hidden from view. Sophia remained mounted, waiting for the handsome Earl's coach to arrive. Acapella snorted occasionally and pawed the ground, and Sophia stroked his mane reassuringly. "Be patient," she whispered. "We will be on our way again soon."

A black coach drawn by four horses arrived shortly thereafter. The driver appeared to be a gruff looking middle-aged man, wrapped in layers of wool coats. With a pleasant nod to Sophia, he signaled the horses to come to halt, as if he was awaiting someone at the gazebo.

Anna was safely in the woods and watching from a distance. There were children playing in the park, most watched by nannies or servants, though there were many commoners in the park this day. It was the Sunday after Christmas and there were snow fights and general running to and fro.

Sophia could hear the shouts of children in the distance. There were a lot of people in the park today. A horse following a carriage would not look strange or out of place. Acepella snorted and Sophia whispered more reassurances to the impatient Lipizzan. If Lord Arundel's coach did not some soon, she would have to set up her painting supplies so it would not look as if she were loitering about waiting for somebody (which, of course, she was).

She heard the carriage before she saw it, and she nodded to the driver. The young Baroness was also wrapped up against the cold. Her white fur cloak was pulled tight against her body and the back of it spread out over her saddle. Her hands were encased in white leather fur-lined gloves and she wore a matching hat adorned with pastel feathers atop her flaxen curls.

At first, she didn't approach the coach and only nodded at the driver. Eventually, as if curious, she rode Acapella closer so that she could speak with him. “Greetings, good sir,” she said softly. “Do you have goat horns?”

Sophia's hands tightened on Acapella's reins, ready to dash away if he was not who she thought he was.

The driver acknowledged Sophia's presence with a business like smile. "I fear, milady, that I do not have horns, but only goat meat. Perhaps, if you were to follow me, you might find what you seek."

A flick of the reins and the coach was moving. In a wide arc, it turned to go back the way it had entered. There were many eyes that might see what was transpiring. Amongst those would be Anna. As to whether there were others that might have links to her husband, who would know for sure?

The breath whooshed out of her when he responded with the phrase Lord Arundel had given her and her hands relaxed a bit on Acapella's reins. The white Lipizzan snorted and tossed his head again. He was not fond of other horses and she had pulled him close to the coach. “Very well. I will follow at a distance so that it looks like you are simply on the road ahead of me.”

As the coach pulled away, Sophia looked toward the trees where Anna had hidden, nodding as an indication that she should follow. This was not the signal they had worked out. She would only give that one when she laid eyes upon the Earl.

She did not gaze at the coach as she rode, but at the people meandering about the park, smiling at the children throwing snowballs at each other. Every now and then, she stopped briefly, glancing around as if trying to decide where she wanted to paint, and then moving on. Sophia always kept the carriage in sight so that she would not accidentally lose it. If she did, she hoped the driver would wait for her to catch up. After they left the park, she would be able to trail it more closely.

The coach moved purposefully, neither slow nor fast. The coachman was incentivized to get her to the destination promptly, but wished to draw no unwanted scrutiny. The pace picked up once outside of the park.

Children ran along side the coach for a time, before falling into the snow with laughter on their lips. Many eyes were upon Sophia at various times in the park; but, did they belong to those she knew?

The streets were clogged, as usual, so progress towards the east was slowed for a time. The snow was less pronounced in the city than it was in the countryside to the east. Anna followed, but it was unclear whether anyone else was following. The lone lady was watched with interest by some unsavory types in the east end, but no one attempted to thwart the passage of the coach and horse.

At last, a large white sleigh appeared ahead. It was in the midst of farmland just outside the city. There were two chestnut thoroughbreds hitched to the sleigh, bells on their harness. At the reins was a fur bound Henry Howard. He doffed his broad brimmed cavalier hat in salute at her arrival. "You are late," he growled at the driver, who knew better than to say anything.

There were furs and blankets in the sleigh, as well as a small case of wine. Disembarking from the sleigh, Henry approached Sophia. "My lady. It warms me to see you again. The day seems brighter now. We are behind schedule, so we should make haste. My man will hitch your horse to the coach." He reached up to assist her in her dismount.

Sophia occasionally pulled Acapella off the road and into the grass so it would not look as if she was following the coach directly. At one point, she rode ahead of it and paused for a moment to watch a couple of children play, a thoughtful expression on her face. She gave no notice to the carriage as it passed her, and a few moments later, she turned her horse around and urged him back upon the road, still a good distance behind the coach.

In the city, it was a bit easier. She let other coaches move between them from time to time. From her elevated viewpoint, she could still see the Earl's carriage up ahead, and even when she paused to look at this or that, she had no trouble catching up. Sophia saw various people glancing at her, but she pretended not to notice them, especially the shady fellows in the east end.

She breathed a bit easier when they entered the countryside, and when she spotted Lord Arundel in a large white sleigh, she sighed in relief and her eyes lit up in delight. The petite singer had not ridden in a sleigh since her childhood in Germany and her father's had not been nearly as opulent as this one. She smiled when he doffed his hat, and she reached up to adjust her own fur hat … the signal that all was well and Anna could go back to the city.

Acapella pranced in place as Henry approached, as if he wished to be admired. How had she wound up with such an arrogant horse? “You flatter me, my lord.” She smiled disarmingly. “I have been looking forward to this moment since last night.” Looking down into the coach, she saw the furs and blankets and the case of wine. She could not even remember the last time a gentlemen had gone to such lengths to please her and she was suitably enchanted. If he was trying to woo her, he was doing an impressive job so far.

“Acapella has quite a temper around other horses. Tell your driver to be careful with him.” As Lord Arundel reached up to help her dismount, she leaned over and placed her hands on his shoulders so he could swing her out of the saddle.

"Do not fear my lady. My driver has a temper to match," he laughed as he swung her down from her horse. Already the coachman had dismounted to take the reins of Sophia's mount.

Offering his arm for the short distance he exclaimed "come warm yourself beneath the furs. You will need your heat for what I show you next," he chuckled as he helped her into the sleigh. Athletically, he leaped in beside her, pulled some furs over his lap and then sent the horses trotting northeast as a brisk pace. Bells jingled as they went.

"I dreamt about you last night," Henry shouted, to give his voice sufficient volume to surpass the wind and the bells. "You were trying to tell me something ... something secret, but you insisted that I must tell you something first. We were quite drunk in the dream and were having a good deal of fun together though I cannot recall what we were doing that was so enjoyable. Have you ever had such a dream? Perhaps I was looking forward to this ride too much," he laughed.

The sleigh raced on for about 30 minutes until they entered a small wood. A cabin came into view, resting beside a small pond. "There is a warm fire in the cabin, but I thought we might go skating first. Are you game? The ice is quite thick I should think. You do know how to skate don't you?"

“Then Acapella is in good hands.” And so was she as he swung her from the stallion's back and set her gently upon the ground. “Be good,” she whispered to the Lipizzan while she transferred his reins to the coachman. Would the carriage follow the sleigh, would it wait for her here, or would the driver take the horses to a stable where they would be warm? Henry had told her that their excursion would last for a few hours when he had first suggested it. Sophia wondered where he was planning to take her.

She took his arm and accompanied him over to the sleigh, allowing him to help her inside. After arranging her skirts and her cloak, she pulled a couple of furs over her and settled herself onto the seat, scooting over so that there would be a respectable distance between them. In truth, she wouldn't mind snuggling against him, but no, that would be wrong. An image of Juan's face permeated her mind. No matter how solicitous Henry was of her or how wonderful she felt in his presence, she would never be unfaithful to her beloved Prince.

They were just two friends spending a pleasant afternoon together. And yet, Sophia still wore his handkerchief tucked into her bodice. “Must you be so mysterious?” she asked playfully. “Or do you know how much I love surprises?”

Soon they were off, traveling at a lively pace. She liked the way the bells on the horses' harnesses jingled and the cold air whipping back her flaxen curls was quite invigorating. Sophia laughed in delight. The handsome Earl was catering to her adventurous spirit, whether he intended to or not. She could feel his heat beside her, and after pulling the furs a bit closer around her, she was surprisingly warm.

So she had danced through his dreams last night? Sophia didn't recall what she had dreamed about, if she had even dreamed at all. She had been as exhausted after the ball as she had been after the opera and had fallen asleep nearly as soon as her little blonde head hit the pillow. The retelling of his dream enchanted her. Was it perhaps a premonition of things to come?

“Yes, I have had such dreams before.” But not about you. Not yet anyway. Like all opera singers, Sophia had an impressive set of lungs and she didn't have to expend much effort to be heard. “Were you disappointed when you woke up because you had hoped it was real?” She was pleased that he had looked forward to their little encounter as much as she had.

The ride took longer than she had thought it would, but she was happy and warm and enjoyed every minute of it. Eventually, they entered a forest and came to a cabin beside a small pond. Sophia's sudden shiver had nothing to do with the cold and she sighed sadly when he asked her if she could skate. Her father had tried many times to coax her out onto the ice and she remembered sitting on a bench with her skates on, watching the servants' children glide across frozen lake on the estate grounds, longing to join them but unable to get close enough to participate.

“I have always wanted to skate,” she said wistfully. “But there is water beneath the ice and I told you why I am afraid of it. I have not been quite as frightened since we went to Brighton, but I am not sure if I am brave enough to venture out onto the ice.” She wanted to try, though. Skating would bring her one step closer to overcoming her fear for good. But what would Henry think of her if she wasn't able to do it? Sophia wanted impress him, not to disgust him by her lack of courage.

"Mystery is a spice to life," Henry replied in good spirits when she inquired. "Why would one want to know the details of the road ahead?"

"I was devastated when I awoke," He replied dramatically. She had all but begged fr such an answer and he was not about to disappoint her. He then broke into a wide smile.

As for skating, he had not thought of her fear of water. "Ah yes," he acknowledged at last as he thought on a remedy. "What if I put my belt around your waist tightly and I shall skate right next to you. If you fall, I can catch you. If the ice becomes brittle, I can pull you away," he offered. "I have never lost a skating partner, I assure you. Shall we give it a go? If you are uncomfortable, we shall go inside instead. Is that a bargain?" He was fishing two pairs of skates out of the back of the sleigh in case she agreed.

“Very true.” Sophia was fond of both surprises and mystery. For some reason she couldn't explain, she trusted Lord Arundel. The paranoia that had plagued her lately had completely disappeared as soon as she saw him, and she felt safe in the sleigh beside him. He would protect her from any harm that might befall them during their journey, but they were moving so fast, even bandits would have a hard time catching up to them.

Her heart fluttered at his answer to her question. His broad smile indicated that he was teasing her and telling her what he thought she wanted to hear. Which she supposed was true, although the reason she had asked was because she was curious if his reaction toward such pleasant dreams was the same as hers. If he was telling the truth, then it was.

The petite blonde often had vivid dreams that she wished were real. Since she had met Juan, all of them had concerned him, even before he had shown a romantic interest in her. Sophia had been so confused then, wondering why her subconscious mind conjured a relationship between them when he was so much older and higher in status. When he had confessed his feelings for her, she had realized she had loved him all along.

When they arrived at the cabin, Henry presented a solution that could help her feel more comfortable skating with him. Unfortunately, he was heavier than she was, and if she was bound close to him and the ice broke beneath him, she would fall in with him and they would both drown in the freezing water.

“I will try,” she agreed, “if you promise only to skate along the edges where the water is shallow unless I ask you to take me further out. I cannot guarantee that I will be able to get close enough to the pond so please be patient with me. My fear runs deep.”

She watched as he rummaged in the back of the sleigh. “I do not think your belt will fit me well. Holding my hand should be sufficient.” As an idea came to her, she reached up and pulled a rose-colored ribbon edged in gold from her hair. “Or we could bind our wrists lightly together with this.”

Glancing at the pond, she shivered again. “Have you skated here before? Do you know for certain that the ice is thick enough to support us?”

Sophia was brave enough to try, which earned a pleased smile from Arundel. "Perfect," he exclaimed as he pulled forth the skates. Eschewing the belt, the blond expressed a preference for a mere hand hold or ribbon binding. While the belt was more sturdy and likely to keep her upright than the ribbon, Henry was in the mood to indulge her wishes. After all, she was attempting to overcome a fear for him.

"These skates are for a boy, but I am hoping they fit you," Henry explained as he handed her his skates. "They were mine long ago."

He agreed to stay at the shallow edges of the pond as he began to fit his foot into his own skates. "Yes, I have skated here before. This land belongs to my family. This cabin is used by one of our family servants that oversees the family farmland and properties in Londonshire. He has a small dwelling in London as well. He is staying there today so that we might have use of the cabin. My father used it years ago as a small hunting lodge for day trips from London. So, I know this cabin and pond well enough. I have swimmed here as a boy as well."

Sophia would find that the boots were a little large on her, and that her foot would be swimming inside, despite the cord wrapped around her ankle. She would also find herself walking very awkwardly, needing constant attention by her companion to keep her upright. Despite this, she would fall at least once en route to the pond edge, though henry's hand would help ensure the fall was softened on the way down.

His smile made her feel a bit braver. She had never heard of anybody plummeting through the ice around Katzenberg Castle, so it probably didn't happen very often. It seemed more likely that one might suffer minor injuries when falling, another good reason not to be tied to Henry by his belt. If he fell, she would tumble after him, or vice versa. The thought of landing on top of him appealed to Sophia, but if he landed on top of her, she could be seriously injured. He was much larger than she.

“Thank you,” she said, as she took the skates he handed her. She could already tell that they were too big. Her feet were tiny and her shoes looked as if they belonged to a child. The only skates of his that would fit her well would be those he wore when he was very young. She put them on anyway, tying the laces tightly around her ankles and hoping it would help.

She had intended to ask him who the cabin belonged to, but he volunteered the information. They were on his family's land and he must have skated on this pond many times. If he said it was safe, then she would believe him.

The petite singer needed Henry's help to get out of the sleigh, and she held tightly to his hand while she tried to balance on the blades. When she was finally ready to try walking, she gripped his arm, concentrating so hard on putting one foot in front of the other that she didn't realize that her fur-covered bosom was pressed against his sleeve. With each step she took, her feet slipped around in the skates. Without the handsome Earl's support, she doubted she would have been able to move at all.

If she couldn't even walk upon the snow, how would she be able to skate on the slippery ice? As the pond loomed ever closer, fear gripped her heart. No matter how much she wanted to skate with him, no matter how much she liked him holding her up, this was not going to work.

When Sophia fell, she sighed as he pulled her upright. “I will not be able skate like this,” she told him, regret in her voice. “My feet keep sliding around and I cannot balance properly. Is there anything that I can wrap around my feet or stuff inside my stockings to make them temporarily larger?”

Sophia moved awkwardly on the skates but Henry was at her side to help with balance. It appeared that the skates of his boyhood were still too large for her. She was right to be concerned.

"I shall use my wool muffler," he offered as he pulled a grey one from around his neck. "I shall wrap your foot in it. That should fill the shoe ... ." He stopped as he realized it would be far too much yarn. "And fill your other shoe too, and dangle down upon the ice." It would look silly but maybe it would help her keep her legs together as the material would tie both shoes together loosely.

There seemed to be few alternatives. A handkerchief or two seemed too insubstantial to fill the boots.

Sophia appreciated his offer, but she didn't like the idea of having her feet tied together or that part of it would flap between them where she might trip over it. There was, however, another solution. “How attached are you to that muffler? If it was cut in half, it could fill both of the boots. If you would rather not part with it, maybe there is something in the cabin we could use instead?”

If she were lucky, there would be another pair of skates inside, left there by a child or a lady with a small foot. She wouldn't hold her breath for that, but maybe there was an old tablecloth or some old curtains that weren't used anymore that could be cut or torn into strips.

"Let us cut the muffler then," Henry offered gallantly. It was easy enough to obtain a new one later. He doubted there was anything better inside the cabin.

Taking out a small knife that he kept on his person, the Earl cut the yarn easily enough and then handed the pieces to Sophia. "Would you allow me to wrap your feet, or do you prefer to do it yourself?" It would be rather forward to handle another man's wife's feet.

Regardless of how it was done, Sophia would find that her feet fit more snuggly in the boots, though still not free of movement. It would suffice for her to proceed, with caution.

Her charming companion didn't have any qualms about sacrificing his muffler to pad her boots with. He most likely had many more at home. Sophia hoped he wouldn't be too cold without it. She would feel guilty if he caught a chill during their little outing. Maybe freezing temperatures didn't bother him. He had probably lived in England all his life. Even though she had grown up in a country with a climate similar to England's, she had never tolerated the cold very well. Venice had suited her much better, although she did have a fondness for snow.

It would be easier to let him wrap her feet, but such a gesture seemed a bit too intimate at this stage of their budding friendship. Maybe when she knew him better, she would allow him such liberties. “I think I can manage,” she replied with an apologetic smile as she took the pieces from him. She sat down on a stump (or a bench, if there was one beside the pond) and quickly wove the pieces of fluffy material around her feet, making sure that it was thickest at her ankles.

Pulling the boots back on, she found that they fit better but not as perfectly as she would have liked. A little room at the front and back would not matter much if her ankles were secure. “Will you help me up?” she asked with a disarming grin, holding out both hands toward him. Hopefully, she would be able to walk better and her ankles would no longer slide around in the skates.

It was a tree stump that served as a seat for Sophia. Henry watched as she wrapped her feet and ankles with pieces of his muffler, showing signs of moving to assist whenever she was having a difficult time. The view of her feet and ankles was a treat surely.

In the end, she asked for assistance in standing. Henry was already well laced into his skates and moved to help lift her. It was upon wobbly ankles that the blond beauty took to her feet. Arundel did not move, allowing her to gain a full balance before attempting to let her take a step.

Gripping his arm tightly, Sophia might be able to take the few steps to the pond's edge without mishap. Once upon the ice it was a different matter. There was no ground for the blade to penetrate.

"Hang on to me tightly and let me circle the edge of the pool," Henry insisted. "The water is very shallow here." The ice seemed hard enough to support their weight. "Shall I skate backwards while you grip my arm? I am quite capable of it," he assured.

Sophia didn't even realize that she was giving Henry a scandalous view of her feet and ankles when she wrapped the pieces of muffler around them. Her mind was focused on whether or not she would be able to proceed if her plan didn't work, assuming she was able to get close enough to the pond to skate. She could feel her blood pounding in her veins. It was ice, not water, she told herself, and if she stayed close to the edge, she would be all right.

She clung to Henry's hands when he helped her up. The skates still didn't fit as well as she had hoped, but her ankles didn't move much and she presumed that the main reason she was wobbling was because she had never skated before. Balancing on a blade took practice.

Lord Arundel was patient with her and didn't push her to walk before she was ready. Sophia released one of his hands and held tightly to the other. The closer she came to the edge of the pond, the more rapidly her heart palpitated. Strangely enough, she was not nauseous as she usually was, nor did she feel as if she might faint. Was it finally becoming easier to face her fear? If so, she still had a long way to go before she would be fully comfortable around large bodies of water.

“Please stay so close to the edge that I can step back onto the snow at any time,” she implored him. Her lyrical voice trembled slightly and she nodded when he suggested skating backwards. If she could look into his handsome face, maybe she wouldn't be so frightened.

However, when they reached the ice, Sophia found herself frozen in place. The first step was always the most terrifying. “I … I do not think I can do this.” She looked up at him with wide blue eyes and her grip on his hand tightened. “I want to, but … I am afraid.”

"The best way to handle fear I have found," Henry began "is to confront it face to face." It was advice typically given to boys trying to become men; but, perhaps the same tactic might work for ladies as well.

"Let me show you what could be," the Earl offered once he moved her to a low hanging tree branch that she could grab for balance. What followed was a graceful display by the Howard heir of skating. He moved freely to the center of the pond and began to circle it as if taking its measure. In no circumstance did the ice seem to crack. He laughed as he gained speed in one short sprint from the other bank to her side.

"See what fun we might have? Come, let us take baby steps upon the ice together and see how it goes." He held out his gloved hand to her invitingly.

It might have been easier to confront her fear if it had not been caused by a traumatic incident. Sophia had nearly drowned that day long ago. Her mother had given her own life to save hers and the image of her floating face down with her golden hair rippling around her was forever ingrained upon the young blonde's mind. She knew that her mother would want her to hold onto the few memories she had of her life rather than dwell on her death, and that horrifying image faded a bit each time she came closer to overcoming her terror of water.

She had worked her way up to strolling along the beach at Brighton, although she had stayed away from the ocean. Walking around Lord Kingston's yacht had helped, and she had traveled by sea twice since then. She believed it had been the decreasing temperatures that had caused her illness during the return journey from Spain. Had it been warmer, she might have been able to handle the trip well enough if she had kept to her cabin. It had not been too difficult to board the ship while holding tightly to Esteban's hand.

Sophia allowed Henry to lead her over to a tree, and she held lightly to a branch while he glided onto the ice. He skated as well as he danced, but he had said he had been skating since childhood. She had never even tried it before, but it did look tempting. As she watched him, her grip on the branch loosened as she attempted to balance by herself.

She grinned when he sped over to her. “You have convinced me,” she conceded. “I have never skated before and it will not be as easy for me as it is for you. Please hold onto me tightly so that I do not fall. And remember to stay close to the edge.”

Letting go of the branch, she held both of her small gloved hands toward him. Her heart beat so loudly he was probably able to hear it and her throat felt a bit dry, but she was determined not to let her fear stop her from enjoying this new experience in the Earl's delightful company.

The blond beauty found her courage as a response to the Earl's demonstration perhaps. As a result, Henry offered a winsome smile.

"Hang on tightly" he advised as he moved her out slowly omto the ice. It took but a few strokes before Sophia lost her balance in such a panicked way that Henry could not sufficiently compensate. Rather than let her fall on the ice with him atop her, he took the fall and pulled her atop him so as to cushion the blow. It was his backside that hit the ice rather than hers.

There they were, face to face, with her atop him. Fortunately, she was not very heavy. "Ah, my back," he grumbled with feigned injury. "As a boy my Governess used to kiss me to make me feel better," he offered with thinly-veiled amusement.

Sophia grasped his hands firmly, swallowing convulsively as he led her onto the ice. She didn't try to move at first and just let him pull her while she tried to keep her balance. The pond was quite slippery, and gliding upon it was almost like flying. The young blonde laughed. “This is wonderful!” she exclaimed.

Tentatively, she attempted to put one skate in front of the other, but immediately lost her footing. With a startled little cry, she began to fall, still holding tightly to Henry's hands, which might have been what pulled him off balance. Or did he drop to his back on purpose to cushion her own fall? Whatever the reason, Sophia sprawled on top of him in a tumble of white fur.

She was intensely aware of the hard angles of his body pressed against her soft curves, and an explosion of unexpected pleasure spiraled through her small form. Was it because of his closeness or because she had taken yet another step, however awkward, toward overcoming her fear? Perhaps it was a bit of both.

Her face was right above his, and she could feel his warm breath as he spoke of injuring his back. She looked at him in concern, but he did not appear to be in any pain. When he mentioned his governess kissing him, she suspected he was teasing her … or issuing an invitation. The lure of his lips was difficult to resist, but she had to try. “Do I look like your governess?” she asked with a cheeky grin.

Despite the pain and discomfort, Henry seemed to be having a pleasurable experience, being so close to Sophia's lips. A sly smile remained on his lips.

"No. My governess was pretty enough as I recall; but, you are stunning," he whispered. "She was a gem whereas you are a jewel. I recall feigning not wanting her to kiss me when I fell, knowing that she would insist. Now, here as a man, I find it quite the opposite. I trust that you are feigning a lack of interest and that it is I that must insist." With that, he moved gently upward to take a kiss from her. She could move her head away if she wished. It was clear that he was affording her such an opportunity.

Sophia had expected him to say that she did look like his governess in order to convince her to kiss him. Instead, he delighted her with his enchanting compliments. Like most teenage girls, she enjoyed being flattered. Her German pragmatism told her that he was only telling her what she wanted to hear in order to get the desired result, but her romantic soul insisted that he meant what he said.

He was right that she was feigning a lack of interest. He had kissed her in the walled garden the night before, and she had not forgotten how pleasurable it had been. She yearned to repeat that lovely experience, to feel his lips upon hers once more. Yet she was playing hard to get … perhaps impossible to get … and she didn't want to give away too much too soon.

When he pressed his lips to hers, she gave him but a tantalizing taste before rolling off of him and sitting up. “Your insistence is admirable, but I am concerned that if you lie on the ice too long, you will fall ill and not even my kisses will be enough to warm you. We should get up.” She held out her hand to him, grinning impishly. “I want to try to skate again, unless you think I am a hopeless cause.”

She did not resist the kiss, which was a good omen. he took what she gave and was content with it, for the moment. "I feel life and warmth once more flowing into my body," he declared in good humor.

As she rolled off to sit on the ice, Henry rolled to his knees and then began the process to stand on his skates. It took practice and dexterity to do it on one's own. Once on his feet, he looked down upon Sophia contemplating a taunt to leave her sitting there, but it was too cruel to consider long because she was scared of the water underneath. As such, he reached his hand downward to assist her standing. "How could you be hopeless when you have been on the ice but a moment? With my guidance you shall become a natural at it one day, our bodies moving together in perfect harmony." Was he speaking of more than skating? The grin suggested there might be more than one meaning.

"Now then, hold me tight," he suggested as they began to move together. The tight grip might also cause him to think of more intimate moments as well. His grin widened momentarily at the thought.

Sophia was surprised that so brief a kiss could send such pleasant heat coursing through her veins. Apparently, he felt the same way. “The fair maiden has healed the handsome prince with her kiss,” she replied. “Now they are one step closer to happily ever after.” It was a whimsical thing to say, but it seemed fitting somehow.

She had absolutely no idea how to get up and she watched Henry rise to his feet. Just like skating, it looked so easy, but her hands kept slipping on the ice when she tried to use them to assist her in rolling to her knees. Her skates slid on the slippery surface as well and she couldn't manage to curl her legs beneath her. When Henry extended a hand toward her, she smiled gratefully and grasped it tightly.

It still took a few tries before she was able to stand up and she gripped his arm to keep her balance. He had a lot more confidence in her than she had in herself. Or perhaps he was confident in his teaching skills. Sophia hoped he was more patient than she was. Since he had said 'one day,' did that mean he planned to bring her here again?

“Do you really think so?” she asked. “Then that shall be my goal … to be able to move in such perfect rhythm with you that it will almost be as if we are one.” Her grin was as playful as his and she was fully aware of the flirtatious innuendo in her words. Sophia was coquettish by nature and there was nothing wrong, in her opinion, with a bit of harmless flirtation.

“It will be my pleasure,” she disclosed when he told her to hold him tight. She grasped his gloved hands again and cautiously attempted to glide upon the ice with the alluring Earl's guidance.

"Healed, but only temporarily so," Arundel replied with a flirtatious smile. It became apparent soon thereafter that Sophia was flirting with him in return. Her last remark about moving as one was sufficient evidence that she knew very well what game was afoot. That would allow things to appear less forced.

This time Henry held her close, as she gripped him tightly. They managed to move slowly upon the surface of the lake. More than once Sophia lost her balance but Henry was there to keep her from falling. They made it a full revolution around the pond. A snow flurry began as they finished the circuit. It made for a picturesque scene of snowflakes in their hair and eyelashes.

"Shall we head to the cabin to warm up? I think this is enough for your first lesson. I pray there may be many more."

“Only temporarily?” Sophia puckered her lips. “Then it is fortunate that I have an unlimited supply of elixir.” Narrowing her eyes playfully, she added: “If I fall, I hope you brought along some elixir too.”

After a comment like that, she would have expected Henry to let her fall, but he steadied her whenever she lost her balance, which she did quite frequently. Skating was not easy, and she felt as if she were learning to walk all over again. Still, she persevered, clinging tightly to her handsome companion and laughing often. This was the most fun she'd had since the opera and now Sophia wished she had been brave enough to skate when she was a child. Henry was patient with her, and before she realized it, they had made a complete turn around the pond.

“Yes, of course,” she agreed, grinning impishly. “You are probably exhausted from holding me up.” The snow was falling now, soft and white and beautiful. “I look forward to many more lessons as well. I can hardly believe I actually did it!” The pond held no terror for her now, only memories of a very pleasant experience which she hoped would be repeated often.

“Thank you for coaxing me out onto the ice. I could never have done it without your encouragement. You are good for me, my lord.”

Sophia was acting saucy with him about kisses. How pleasant. This was a lady with hot temperament no doubt. "I suspect that we each have plenty of elixir," he remarked in a sly aside as they moved about. He had been tempted to let her fall, but it would be unfair of his to jeopardize the lady for a kiss.

"I am exhausted," he proclaimed as she suggested it. How much of that proclamation was real was hard to know. "Let's take off the skates inside," he recommended. "It is warmer in there and it is fun to walk on grass in one's skates. It is quite a challenge to one's ankles." He paused to pick up their discarded shoes along the way.

With the smallest of baby steps, they worked their way the short distance to the cabin door. The latch lifted and the door swung inward. Light and a welcoming heat issued forth. Fortunately there were chairs right beside the door, likely intended for just this purpose. "Lean against the wall for a moment while I remove my skates and then I will assist you removing yours." Not pausing, he assured that she could stay upright by leaning against the now closed door and not moving. Swiftly he was seated and the laces were loosened. It was as if there were a race to remove skates. Dropping them beside his chair, he was relegated to stocking feet.

Easing Sophia into the chair, Henry kneeled in front of her as a servant might. "Now then, let's relieve you of these skates and warm our toes in front of the fire." A fire was burning in the fireplace but it was dying. It would need to be stoked. The rest of the cabin was open with a bed on one side and a table with plain wooden chairs on the other.

While she could stop him, Henry lifted the hem of her skirts so that he could undo her skates. They came off easily enough, along with the improvised padding. As the wool scarf fell to the floor, Henry's hands lingered on her ankle. He began to rub them gently. "Your ankles will be sore if they are not rubbed." Whether that was a flimsy excuse to take liberties, it was hard to know.

Archived