JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

For The First Time In Forever [26/12, afternoon]- Xmas 1677

He didn't seem too exhausted, and Sophia suspected that he enjoyed catching her whenever she slipped on the ice. She had been so intent on regaining her balance she had not paid any attention to where he grabbed her when he pulled her up. He may have taken liberties she would normally have slapped him for, but it didn't matter. They'd had fun and she had taken another successful step towards overcoming her fear of water.

The cold was finally starting to affect her. “Sitting by a warm fire sounds divine,” she breathed. She was taller with the skates on, and it was fascinating (and a bit strange) to view the world from a slightly elevated height. At first, she held onto his arm while they slowly made their way to the cabin, but as she gained confidence, she let go and made the final few steps to the door on her own. Blinking a few times to adjust to the light inside the cabin, she sighed happily as the warmth of the fire enveloped her.

She nodded when he told her to lean against the door, and noticed that he didn't turn away from her until he was certain she would stay upright. He was a true gentleman, concerned about her welfare. As he removed his skates, she took a tentative step toward the vacant chair, tottering precariously.

Sophia was grateful when he assisted her with sitting. Looking down at his stockinged feet. she remembered the sight of Lord Dundarg's bare legs in Brighton. Was Henry's legs hairy too? Quickly, she lifted her eyes to his face as he knelt before her and lifted the hem of her gown in order to remove her skates. Her body hummed with unexpected pleasure which she tried … and failed … to push to the back of her mind.

As the skates were unlaced, she lowered the gown slowly until the hem rested just above her ankles. She expected him to resume his seat when he unwound the pieces of his scarf from her feet, but his hands lingered upon her ankles and began to massage them. They were, indeed, sore and the sensations trilling through her body intensified. His gentle touch felt delightful, but she knew that she shouldn't allow him such familiarity.

Reluctantly, she reached down and grasped his hands, moving them away and squeezing them softly before letting them go. “Thank you, my lord, but I can manage now. You need to attend to yourself. Your ankles must be aching as well.”

Noticing a few errant snowflakes clinging to his ebony hair, she could not resist brushing them off. “There was snow in your hair,” she explained. A soft blush suffused her cheeks as her lips turned up in a shy little smile.

Reluctantly, Henry pulled his hands away from Sophia's ankles. He did not resist her push. Sighing, he replied with a grin "I was hoping you would rub my ankles in return. So much for that I suppose." He lifted one foot and waggled it at her

As she brushed a snowflake from his hair, he interpreted it to be a peace offering for pushing him away. In return, he reached to her head and tousled her hair. "You had a flake or two in your hair too." He laughed as he failed to provide any further explanation for messing her hair. She was still a young woman and it seemed like a fun thing to do to her.

He moved to the fire to stoke it, so the flames would roar again. It required another log. "Everyone needs someone in their life to rub their ankles when they are sore and to whisk errant snowflakes from hair and eyelashes Sophia," Henry proclaimed as he kept his back to her. Turning to face her again, he asked "did you ever have someone like that in your life?"

Sophia laughed when he wiggled his foot. “It is very tempting,” she remarked coyly, “but I am afraid I must decline … this time.” He had promised her more skating lessons. As they became better acquainted, perhaps she would think nothing of massaging his aching feet. At this stage, it seemed rather inappropriate, no matter how intriguing the notion was to her.

He tousled her curls, claiming that there was snow in her hair as well. Perhaps there had been, but she didn't know how he could see it due to the fact that her long silky tresses were almost white. She imagined that her hair was quite mussed from the sleigh ride and falling on top of him on the ice, and she enjoyed his playful gesture. Everything about him so far was fascinating. He seemed almost too good to be true.

As he stoked the fire, she stood up and removed her coat, draping it over the back of her chair, and then sat back down, leaning over to rub her ankles. It didn't feel nearly as pleasant as when Henry had done it, and she wished now that she had let him continue. She was still wearing the rose and gold gown adorned with lace and pearls that she had changed into after church.

Sophia looked up at him when he spoke, considering his question thoughtfully. “My father,” she answered, “when I was a child.” He turned to face her and she smiled demurely. “What about you, Henry?” she asked softly. “Is there anyone who does such things for you?”

"Maybe next time then," he replied as he stoked the fire. It would not be the last time that he touched her indecently; he was certain.

"Your father?" he asked sadly. "So, no one since you were a child?" When she returned the question, his own answer was sader. "No one; at least no one who really cared."

He moved back to the stool beside her. "Look at you Sophia, you have so much life and talent. So much beauty and so much to offer and yet to have had no one to be tender with you. It is a high crime." No mention was made of her husband and he was certainly ignorant of Don Juan.

"I am not so bad looking and have a modicum of wit and good manners. Why is it that I have found no one to be tender with either I wonder?" He left the question open. Perhaps he was looking for flattery, or perhaps he was looking for a revelation.

Juan would rub her feet and brush the snow out of her hair ... and make love to her in the most delightful of ways. She could not reveal her affection for her Prince to Henry and so she let him believe that she was as lonely as he was. It wasn't far from the truth. Sophia loved Juan with all her heart but he was so far away and she had not seen him in months. She did have some feelings for Henry, although she was not certain yet if they were romantic or platonic. She was drawn to him, though, and could not deny that she found him both attractive and charming.

She blushed again when he flattered her so eloquently. “Try telling my lord husband that,” she replied sadly. “He has hardly touched me since we were wed. He does not see me the way you do.” Sophia believed she knew why he was so distant. She belonged to his master, and he saw himself as more of a guardian than a mate. He visited her bed so infrequently that she didn't think he wanted any heirs. Or maybe Juan wanted her children to be his.

Her heart went out to Henry as he spoke of his own longings. She reached over and took his hand, squeezing it briefly before letting it go. “Perhaps, as you told me last night, the ladies cannot see past your title. But that special lady I spoke of last night will be entranced with Henry the man and not Henry the future Duke. Once she is sure of your love for her, she will do everything you spoke of and more. You will not even have to ask. She will anticipate your every need and will ask nothing from you but that you return her affection.”

"Your husband has hardly touched you?" This had him surprised. "Does he have the Italian disease then?" he was about to ask if Estaban had been castrated somehow. "That is unbelievable," he continued, his voice raising in anger. "It is one thing if your wife is dull and repulsive. It is quite another when your wife has the wit, look, and charm of what any man would dream upon. Perhaps it is not too late to get an annulment," he suggested.

"How old are you Sophia? Are you prepared to spend the next fifty years of your life untouched and unloved? Do you not feel the longing for a man's caress? The tingle of his kiss, and the bliss of physical union?" His spoke of continued outrage.

The kind words she had for him about his own situation were naught but hopeful platitudes in his eyes, or so it seemed. He was more interested in her situation.

His reaction to her confession was completely unexpected and now Sophia wished she had not said anything at all about her relationship with her husband. I should have thought before I spoke. she berated herself. Henry's anger confused her, as did his comment about the Italian disease. What did that entail? Riding in gondolas, eating spicy food, and attending operas?

“It is too late for an annulment,” she disclosed, blushing profusely. “He does his … duties. Just not very often.” And not with her own satisfaction in mind. Juan was hotter than the sun. Esteban was colder than ice. Henry, at this moment, was practically boiling. “I thought that all arranged marriages were like mine. He didn't wed me because he loved me. I guess he thought I would be useful to him in some way.”

Her blush deepened as Henry continued to rant, and her body hummed pleasantly as he spoke of caresses and kisses and sensual pleasure. She got all that and more from Juan, but not recently. Sometimes she wondered if he thought of her as much as she thought of him, or if she hardly ever crossed his mind. Now that he was the ruler of Spain, lovely ladies with beautiful voices were probably throwing themselves at his feet. Was he true to her or was 'Sophia' no longer his flavor of choice?

She needed to see him, to be assured of his love before she did something she would later regret.

“Yes,” she breathed when Henry had finished. “I wish for all of those things. But what can I do? I am not a libertine. Meaningless affairs do not interest me. I could never give myself to someone I do not love.” Her eyes locked on his. “I guess I want what you do, but from a feminine perspective … a gentleman who can look beyond my beauty and my golden voice and fall in love with me.”

"The man is insane," Henry muttered, meaning her husband. "Does his duty ... bah." He was still angry.

"It is not a duty to love you Sophia. It comes naturally. Only a fool would think someone as precious as you was a mere obligation." He stood and reached out to Sophia. "Sophia, humor me please. Stand up and let me show you the sort of kiss you deserve," he insisted. "You should know."

If Henry knew the true reason Esteban had married her, he would think he belonged in Bedlam. Sophia was not certain if he had wed her because Juan had told him to, but it seemed likely considering how distant he was. He was certainly not attracted to her sexually. For the first time, she wondered if he preferred men. It was possible, she supposed. With a beautiful and talented wife, he could take male lovers without suspicion. Growing up in the opera culture of Venice, she considered such relationships natural, but she knew that most people saw them as sinful and evil.

Again, Henry's words sent pleasurable sensations dancing through her small form. He sounded sincere, and she wanted to believe that she was precious to him, but, in truth, he barely knew her. Were his stirring words motivated by his heart or by his … naughty bits? “How can you be so certain?” she asked softly. “We do not know each other very well.”

He wanted to kiss her. Sophia wanted the same, but she was acutely aware that there was a bed in the room. A simple kiss was harmless, but what if he thought that kissing him meant that she wanted to sleep with him? Maybe he was only interested in a simple romp between the sheets, even though he knew she wasn't.

Her small even teeth worried her lower lip as she placed one of her tiny hands in his much larger one. “I want to know what I am missing, but I am afraid a mere taste will make me want more.” Although she had yet to stand, she was leaning toward him as if she had to physically hold herself back from capitulating to his request. Maybe it is better that I do not know until I find that special gentleman who loves me for myself.”

Her lyrical voice said one thing and her nubile young body quite another.

"We do not know each other well Sophia? Am I a stranger to you? Do you not have a fair guess about what lives in my heart? I should think not." He reached to lift her to her feet.

"Love can develop over time, but most ignites in but a moment. Certainly the kind of love that generates the greatest heat does. You do not need to know everything about a person to love them. In fact, a certain mystery makes love all the stronger. Love is to notice that the other person has that which is missing from oneself. To be united in love is to make oneself be whole," Henry declared.

"You make me feel complete Sophia. In your company I worry more about you than myself. I want you to be happy more than I want myself to be happy." He paused to look into her eyes seriously. "Your eyes say the same when you look at me, whether you give voice to it or not. Do not be scared to love Sophia. Do not live a life deprived of something so cherished," he urged.

Without waiting approval, which would be difficult for any proper lady, Henry took her into his arms and attempted to give her an urgent and impassioned kiss.

Sophia blinked as he pulled her to her feet. Did he truly love her even though he had known her for such a short time? Her romantic soul wanted to believe him, but her practical mind told her that he was just pretending to be enamored of her so that he could get her into bed and add her to what must be a long list of conquests. He could have any lady at court he wanted. Could he truly care for her?

She knew it was possible to fall in love in a moment because of Juan. The petite blonde had tried to deny her feelings for the Spanish Prince, but she had dreamed about him dancing with her and kissing her almost every night. He was not only over thirty years her senior, but she was far beneath him in status. Yet when he had confessed his love for her, she had realized that she had loved him all along.

Was that how Henry felt about her? They had first met last spring. Had he been thinking about her all that time? Had he given her his mother's handkerchief because he had already known that she was the lady he was looking for? Maybe he had never intended to ask her to return it.

Did she feel the same about him? She wasn't certain. Sophia loved Juan, but maybe a lady could love two gentlemen at once. There was a lot of love in her heart, she knew that much. And she did want him to be happy. He had spoke so longingly of finding a lady who loved him last night and she truly wanted to help him find her. Now she wondered if that lady had been her all along.

She was still a bit wary. He might just want … what was the English saying … to roll in the grass? Something like that, anyway. Sophia had no intention of sleeping with him today. If he pressed her for sexual favors, then she would know that those beautiful words were nothing but clever but insidious lies.

He can have any lady he wants, she thought again. Why me?

If he wasn't sincere, then how could he gaze into her eyes so earnestly and speak of his love for her? Because of her own skill at acting and her natural perceptiveness, she was usually able to tell when a person was not telling the truth, and she saw none of the usual signs in Henry's expression or his voice. But she was young and impressionable and perhaps not as difficult to fool as she thought.

“I do want you to be happy,” she whispered. “When I described the lady you were looking for last night, I gave her my own longings, my own desires. Perhaps ...”

Sophia did not protest when he pulled her into his arms. His warmth seemed to permeate her body, suffusing it with a delectable heat. She could smell the scent of his skin and she wondered how his lips would taste as he prepared to press them to her own. A simple kiss was harmless and she didn't think she would have been able to pull away even if she had wanted to.

No doubt Henry could see the conflict in Sophia's eyes. It was no surprise to him. In his mind she was a young girl married to a cruel and indifferent foreigner. A rare wine was given to a man that did not drink alcohol, but the wine would spoil with age, not get batter. Was that motivating him to be more reckless, or was this just part of a sham as she feared? Who was to say? He certainly looked earnest and if he just wanted sex, could he not gain it easily enough? Men had that advantage. Perhaps it was just the thrill of conquest as she feared. Perhaps there was something more, as she hoped.

The kiss was anything but simple. It was nothing like the kind she received from anyone other than Don Juan. It was passionate and hungry. He did not pull away as one might in a simple kiss. Rather, he pulled Sophia into a tight embrace and made love to her lips with a variety of style and probing. The seconds turned into minutes. It would need to be her that broke the kissing at this point. Henry seemed quite enamored with kissing her.

Sophia had not expected Henry to kiss her quite so thoroughly. His kiss was deep and ardent and exciting, and she found herself responding instinctively, standing on her toes so that she could entwine her arms around his neck. Her abundant bosom was crushed against his chest, and desire inflamed her, intensifying in that secret place between her thighs. No one but Juan had ever kissed her with such passion and she opened her mouth so that his tongue could dance delightfully with her own.

Henry kissed much differently than Juan. It seemed that every man had their own personal style, and she was not yet accustomed to his. Her response was a bit awkward, as if she was more inexperienced than she actually was, but she made up for it with sheer enthusiasm. All thoughts of Juan vanished in the space of a heartbeat, and she surrendered herself entirely to the exquisite way he made her feel.

At length, she felt the need for air, and she reluctantly pulled her lips from his, unwrapping her arms from around his neck and stepping backward. Sophia captured both of his hands in hers, as if loath to break contact with him completely. Her ice-blue eyes, full of a sultry desire, met his. “I did not know a kiss could be … like that," she whispered, her voice tinted with wonder.

"You have been deprived, Love, from the very essence of love and passion. You have been ignored by guardians and spouses long enough," he breathed. "It is time that someone who loves you frees you from the shackles of servitude and unhappiness."

With this, Arundel moved to pick up Sophia in his arms. He carried her to the bed and laid her gently on her back. "Now then, Love, be silent. Let me show you what it is like to be loved, at least once in your life." He sat himself over her and then bent down to take another kiss.

Although ignored by her husband, Sophia had not been deprived of love and passion. Juan was a skilled and considerate lover, and had shown her both how to give and receive pleasure. She still loved him deeply and completely, but she couldn't deny that she was curious as to what it would be like to make love with another man.

Her heart leapt within her chest when Henry called her his love. He swung her into his arms so quickly that she could not have stopped him even had she wanted to and a few moments later, he laid her upon the bed as if she was the most precious thing in the world to him. She was utterly entranced with him and could hardly wait for him to kiss …

At least once in your life.

He wanted more than just kisses. He wanted sex. And only once. After that, he would not wish to see her again. There would be no more sleigh rides, no more skating lessons, no more breathtaking kisses. He would move on to another lady and never spare another thought for her.

Or had she misinterpreted his words? Maybe that phrase was only a figure of speech, one of many she had never heard before. Sophia wanted to believe he loved her, wanted to believe it with all her heart, and she knew one foolproof way to be sure of his feelings for her.

If he was in love with her, he would not force her into something she was not yet ready for.

As he bent over to kiss her, she placed both small hands upon his chest. “I want to know what it is like to be loved, Henry. I long for you. But please let us not rush this. We will have to leave soon anyway. Give me a little time, my love, to come to terms with the overwhelming feelings I have for you. I promise that when I am ready, I will give myself to you joyfully and unconditionally, which is what you deserve.”

"If you told me that you did not like me or care for me, I would stop now at your request," Henry began to explain patiently, preferring to kiss her. "But, you admit you long for me in return and that you will give yourself over to me in time."

"Time is the one thing we do not have Sweet Sophia. How often will your husband let you slip away? Spaniards are very possessive of their wives. It was luck that you could get away this day. Another opportunity may not present itself again the rest of the season, and you may return to Spain in the recess, so we might not see each other again until the Spring."

"The only thing you have to fear is not experiencing the joy I would show you. We would look at each other in misery across the ballroom over the lost opportunity and might try something foolish. Yet, if we share the pleasure at least this once, we will find ourselves smiling at each other in remembrance, looking to renew our liaison in a more happy attitude."

"This is not about sex Sophia. You could go home and have your husband do his duty to you in an unsatisfying way. I could allow myself to lay with some woman who will try her upmost to please me, but it will be equally unsatisfying. Do not we both deserve to taste true happiness at least once? I hope that it will be more, but seeing the joy in your eyes this day is too priceless to me."

He leaned down to kiss her lightly multiple times. "To stop me from bringing us bliss, you will need to kill me ... or tell me you do not care about me and want to live a life of unsatisfied hope." He then began kissing her passionately and urgently. His hand caressed her hair at first, and then her arm. It was clear that it would be traveling to more sensitive areas as his kisses became more heated.

Her hands remained on his chest, holding him back. He made a good argument as to why they should not wait, but despite his lovely words, Sophia couldn't shake the feeling that there would never be a second time. She didn't want to be yet another notch on any gentleman's bedpost. If that was her goal, she would have gone after the King. He had much more to offer her than Henry did and she had practically seduced him with her performance already. However, she had no desire to be one of many.

Sophia would never be content with 'at least once.'

She wanted 'always.'

The young singer wasn't certain that was what Henry was offering, even though he spoke of future liaisons. If she trusted that his intentions were true, she would eagerly succumb to the delicious temptation he presented to her. Sophia wanted him with a passion she had not felt since she had left Madrid. To feel him inside her would be divine, as would riding the waves of pleasure in his embrace.

“It is never any trouble for me to slip away. We could meet in a few days.” Sophia smiled disarmingly. “You did promise me more skating lessons. I can leave the house earlier and we can spend the entire day together. I do not want a small taste of pleasure. I want you to teach me everything about pleasing you. And then when we look at each other across a crowded ballroom, it will be in joyful anticipation of our next assignation.”

It was so difficult to resist him, and she wanted to believe that he meant every word he said. They did deserve happiness and it seemed as if they were both looking for a committed relationship, not a meaningless fling. She sighed with delight when he rained myriad little kisses upon her lips. “Of course, I care for you, Henry, but ...”

Before she could finish, his kisses became deeper and more forceful. Sophia could feel her objections crumbling under his delectable onslaught. Her hands were still caught between them, preventing her curves from pressing against his masculine angles. They were starting to hurt, trapped as they were, and that was all that stopped her from surrendering to the exquisite sensations he evoked in her. His his own hands began to caress her hair and then her arm. She wanted him to keep going, to feel him touch her in her most sacred of places …

“Henry, please stop,” she gasped against his lips. With all of her meager strength, she pushed against his chest, attempting to roll out from under him. Her right wrist twisted painfully, and she winced as agony shot through her arm. If she had injured herself, how would she explain that to Esteban when she was supposed to be out painting?

“You said that I would have to kill you to stop you, but I am afraid that if we go through with this, you will be killed. It is true that Spaniards are possessive of their wives. It is because I love you that I cannot endanger your life by giving into my longings right now. I am an excellent actress, but if he sees me as I enter the house, I don't think I will be able to hide my happiness from him. He will know and he has spies. They will be able to find out where I have been, and he will want revenge.

“We must wait and plan our next meeting more carefully, on a day when I know that he will not be home when I return. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Our pleasure will be so much sweeter if we wait until we know we are safe and can take our time.”

Her words slowed him, surprisingly. Of course he was frustrated. He was a man who believed in seizing the moment. Nevertheless, he stopped to allow her to push him back.

"Never a trouble to slip away? I doubt that." His voice was incredulous. "What sort of a husband is he? Does he ignore you completely?" That made no sense. Surely an Ambassador would watch his wife. She might escape now and then for a few hours, but free license seemed improbable.

"Let me see if I understand you," he began slowly as his ardor cooled a bit. "You do not wish to make love today because it will make you too happy and you believe you will have a hard time hiding such happiness from your husband. If that is true then I shall never be able to share happiness with you." Could she see the logic in that?

"What if I make you only partially happy today? You could surely hide that," he recommended mischievously.

Had she finally gotten through to him? Sophia sat up and swung her legs over the side of the bed. She didn't realize that part of her gown was bunched up beneath her thighs, revealing shapely calves clad in multicolored stockings. Ever since she had found out that stocking colors had specific meanings, she'd had hers sewn from silken strips of many colors so that they would keep people guessing as to what she was trying to convey … if, by chance, anyone saw them. Henry had already seen them when he had pulled off her skates.

Her right wrist was still throbbing painfully, and she held it cradled against her chest. “As long as I give him no reason to be suspicious of me and leave word as to where I am going, he does not complain. I have given him no reason not to trust me, and I am always home before it gets dark. He is traditional and probably thinks all trysts take place in the evenings.

“I told my servants I was going to the park to paint today. It will look odd if I come home looking pleased and have no paintings to show for it. I have taken up charity work recently and the next time we meet, I can tell him I will be spending the day visiting various hospitals and helping the poor. I do not think he will question that.”

Sophia slid closer to him and shook her blonde curls when he surmised that they may never get the chance to be together. “No, it is not like that at all. It is hard to explain in English.” She leaned her head against his arm. “Before you sing an aria, you have to prepare yourself for the role so that you will put the proper emotions behind the verses you are singing. All this I learned from my voice masters in Venice. Sometimes you must be happy, or amorous, or sorrowful, or angry.

“It is the same with life. If we surrender to our desires today, I will not be prepared to hide my happiness if my lord husband is home. He might also notice that I look a bit disheveled. If we plan our meeting in advance, then I will have the time I need. And like I said before, we can pick a day when I know he will be working late at the Embassy. I can freshen myself up before he gets home and he will suspect nothing.”

His mischievous smile caused her heart to leap in her chest. “You have already made me happy with your kisses, my darling. You have given me more pleasure than I have ever experienced before.” Well, at least for a couple of months. “And you have promised me more to come. I can be content for a few days with that.”

Her grin was as playful as his. “I would not mind another kiss ...” She reached out to him with her right hand and immediately winced in pain. Trying to ignore the ache so he would not know she had hurt herself pushing him away, she continued as if nothing was wrong. “... Before we go.”

Regardless of whether he understood her approach to trysts or not, Henry seemed compliant for the moment. His eyes wandered down to her stockings as she moved her legs. "Rainbow stockings," he proclaimed with good humor. "I cannot recall seeing such before." He paused for an explanation.

"You will not be bringing a painting home this afternoon," he reminded her. Was she just making excuses to get away? Her logic seemed ... strained. Though appearing to be a veteran at assignations, he wondered if she was just bluffing.

"Very well, we shall meet in a few days. We shall put your plan to the test. Do you think you can get away Wednesday?" He paused to see if the 29th was agreeable. "Do you think you can find this cabin on your own if I point out the important landscape on the way back? It would be easier if we could just meet here." It would be easier, but he paused to consider whether it would be easier for her husband to discover as well.

She offered a farewell kiss. The minx. "No kiss. I shall want you to suffer the wait as much as myself," he offered playfully. She was willing to be content with a kiss. He was not. He moved to fetch her boots so that he could help her before donning his own.

“Do you like them?” Sophia glanced down at her stockings. “I have them made especially for me. When I found out that the color of a lady's stockings have certain meanings, I decided that I wanted mine to be made of many colors so that I will appear mysterious. You are the only gentlemen who has ever seen them." She favored him with a saucy grin. “Does it work? Is there still an an air of mystery about me even though I have told you all my secrets?”

She already knew how to explain her lack of paintings to Esteban. “I was not able to paint in the park because there were so many children throwing snowballs at each other. I thought that a stray snowball might land on my canvas and ruin my work. So I went into the forest to find a place to paint there, but I got lost and it took me a long time to find my way back. That is also why I look a bit disheveled.” It sounded quite logical to her.

At least he agreed to wait a few days to meet again. “Not Tuesday?” she asked with a pretty little pout. “I will wait until Wednesday if I must.” Two days would give her more than enough time to figure out if this was really the path she wanted to take, if her future truly lay in Henry's arms. Sophia had not been lying when she said she needed time. She believed that Henry did too. In those two days, he could change his mind and decide that he didn't love her at all.

Acting in the heat of the moment sometimes led to situations you would later regret. “Perhaps we can meet around noon? We will have the entire afternoon to ourselves.”

As to where they should meet: “I have a poor sense of direction, but an excellent memory.” She lifted her head from his shoulder and kissed his neck lightly. “If we ride back slowly and you show me several different landmarks, I might be able to find my way back. Or you could meet me on horseback at the place your carriage brought me to today and we could travel the rest of the way together.”

Sophia pouted again when he refused to kiss her. “You are so cruel to me,” she replied, but there was playfulness in her voice. When he left the bed and picked up her shoes, she shifted again so that she could hold her feet out in front of her and make his task easier.

"Yes I like them," henry replied with a smile. Given what had just happened between them, he took the liberty of reaching down and feeling her stocking and leg. "Ingenious," he added. "Oh, and what do the colors mean?" he asked, though he might know more than he pretended.

"Tuesday is better," he admitted. "I was thinking to give you more time to think up an excuse to slip away. If you wish to meet Tuesday, then I am at your service," he declared with an expectant smile. Was she teasing or did she want to accelerate their assignation? "Noon it shall be."

Sophia's proposed story for her husband sounded logical to Henry but he suspected she was naïve in thinking she could manufacture excuses repeatedly. Suspicions, in his experience, tended to compound, rather than go away. Yet, he kept silent on it.

Instead, he moved to assist her with her boots, leaving the skates inside for another day. Of course, he took liberties stroking her shins and ankles prior to sliding the leather in place. He gave a pleased grin as he did so. Once done, he lifted her to her feet and then pulled her into an embrace and gave her a deep parting kiss even though he had threatened to withhold. "That will have to hold you as we canot take a chance being seen kissing in the sleigh.

Little ripples of pleasure slid down her spine as he stroked her stocking-covered leg. If he kept it up, Sophia was afraid that she would throw caution to the wind and give in to him right here and now. Her desire for him was strong and compelling and oh so difficult to resist. “I do not remember,” she admitted when he asked what the colors of lady's stockings meant. “But I think a few of them had to do with what kind of husband or lover the lady is looking for.”

He seemed eager to meet with her on Tuesday, but she recalled that she had plans for the evening that would require some preparation. “You are so delightfully intriguing that I forgot that I am hosting a dinner party Tuesday evening. We will have more time together if we wait until Wednesday, although it will be agonizing to be away from you for so long. It will also give me time to buy a pair of skates that fit.” She smiled saucily. “In case you wish to give me another skating lesson after you teach me the art of pleasure.”

Her young body hummed with exquisite sensations when he lavished attention on her shins and ankles before sliding her boots onto her feet. Sophia closed her eyes and sighed blissfully. She wanted to pull him back on the bed and tell him she had changed her mind and no longer wished to wait, but she managed to resist the temptation.

When she opened her eyes, he was grinning at her, obviously satisfied with her reaction. He lifted her from the bed and drew her into an embrace, kissing her deeply. Sophia responded with equal passion. His kisses were much different than Juan's, but every bit as enticing.

As he pulled his lips from hers, she felt bereft. Again, she pouted prettily. “You enjoy teasing me,” she accused him playfully. The petite blonde wished they could kiss in the sleigh but she knew it was too dangerous. Just being seen with him was dangerous. “Even though you torment me, my heart will long for you until I am in your embrace once more.”

"And does a rainbow stocking suggest you are looking for all sorts of lovers then?" Henry teased as she expressed her thoughts about the color of stockings. "Will your skates be rainbow too?" he laughed. Her purchasing skates was a good idea. If she hoped to learn, she would need ones better suited to her feet.

Arundel sensed that Sophia's resistance was wavering more than once, but he did not push the issue. He had decided to honor her request since she seemed determined that she could sneak away again easily.

"Wednesday then," he replied with a hint of sorrow in his voice. I shall be longing for you until then." It was time to bundle her up and get her back into the sleigh. Not much was said as he helped her in and laid on the blankets. Henry hopped in and began the drive back to where his coach would be waiting. Along the way he attempted to point on landmarks that would help her navigate should she wish to find the cabin on her own. Nevertheless, he offered to meet her on horseback Wednesday.

“I like to keep my options open,” she replied with a coquettish smile, teasing him in return. Sophia chuckled at the idea of rainbow skates. “I suppose I could paint them, but the snow would wash the paint away. I do not know what colors skates come in, but I will find a colorful pair if I can.”

She did not miss the sorrow in his voice. He did seem to care for her. Perhaps she had been foolish not to trust him. If all he had wanted was sex, he would have either forced himself on her or been infuriated at her for refusing his advances. Now they would both have time to think about each other without passion clouding their judgment.

He was very considerate of her, making certain that she was bundled up against the cold and arranging the blankets over her lap in the sleigh. As they traveled back to where her horse awaited, she gazed at him often, admiring his profile as he pointed out various landmarks to her. Sophia was not certain if she would be able to find her way to the cabin by herself and was relieved when he offered to meet her on horseback.

“Perhaps that would be best. You can let me lead the way to the cabin to be sure that I know how to get there. After that, I should be able to find it on my own.” She looked up at him and sighed. “If I do not come, you will know that I was unable to get away. I do not think that will happen, but I cannot predict what Wednesday will bring."

"I think skates come in black and ... black," Henry deadpanned. He then offered a smile.

Did she really think that the pair would be able to think about each other without passion? Unlikely. Did Sophia not want Henry thinking of her passionately? Did she really know what she wanted?

"You promised that you shall be able to slip away easily" he reminded her as they arrived at the coach. Despite the declaration, he whispered "be careful. I shall be here."

The coachman was relieved to see his master. It was quite cold waited in the snow. Stepping down from his perch, he unhitched Sophia's horse and brought it beside the sleigh..

"I told you I would not kiss you openly," Henry reminded her in a soft voice. "Pretend that I did nothing more than give you a ride back to your horse."

Sophia sighed melodramatically. “Then I guess I will be stuck with black.” Once she had bought a pair, she would ask Anna if she could make a pair of rainbow-colored laces. Henry would be pleasantly surprised when he saw them. Or … “What is your favorite color, Henry? What color would I choose to show that I want you for my lover?”

The diminutive Baroness did want Henry to think of her with passion, but even as young as she was, she knew that one often regretted decisions made in the heat of the moment. What she didn't consider was that thinking of each other for a few days might increase their longing to the point that they would immediately fall into bed together when they met again on Wednesday.

In truth, Sophia was a bit confused about what she wanted. She was still very much in love with Juan, but her feelings for Henry ran deeply too. If she was certain that the handsome Earl was interested in more than a passing fling, she would have given herself to him in the cabin. He seemed sincere, but what if he wasn't? That was what she needed to contemplate, whether he really loved her or whether he was only saying it to get up her skirt.

Unfortunately, she might not be able to look at the situation objectively with desire for him constantly coursing through her veins.

“I do not think it will be,” she whispered back. “If I do not come, I just want you to know that it is not because I changed my mind. I promise I will be careful.” Sophia watched as the coachman brought Acapella over to the sleigh. If it was possible for a horse to look irate, he was doing an excellent job. It probably had not been pleasant standing in the snow for several hours.

Sophia wished that Henry would kiss her good-bye, but there could be somebody watching them. A carriage sitting out in the middle of nowhere must be a mysterious sight. Her legs were still under the blankets and she couldn't resist teasing him a bit. Sliding one of them closer to his, she caressed his shin gently and briefly with a small booted foot.

“Thank you so much, my lord,” she said as she stood up and held out her hand so that he could help her out of the sleigh. “I am grateful that you thought somebody might be lost or injured in the forest when you discovered Acapella wandering around on his own. After he bolted, I was worried that I might never find my way home.”

If anyone was observing the little scene, she believed that her explanation would be sufficient to explain why she and Lord Arundel had shared a sleigh.

"My favorite color?" Henry replied, caught off guard at the moment, unsure whether his favorite color would look good on skates. He liked red, but that would not be a good choice for Sophia. "Shall we say green ... mistletoe green?" That would be far better and more festive.

When she talked about possibly not coming, Henry reminded Sophia gently "it is going to be bloody cold and boring sitting in the saddle here. If I'm not here, it could be that I've taken a brisk ride to keep warm, " he chuckled. "In such a case, wait for me, just ten minutes if you must."

"Have a good day Lady Toledo," he called after her formally, as if they were mere acquaintances. He watched her ride away before calling to his coachman. Plans needed to be made.

Mistletoe green was his favorite color? Or did he just prefer it during the Christmas season? It didn't matter. Fabric and ribbons in that hue would most likely be available at Norringtons. Maybe she could even get Anna to sew her a pair of green stockings to surprise him with on Wednesday. There was no doubt in Sophia's mind what would happen when they next visited the cabin. He would see much more than her stockings. By meeting him again, she would be agreeing to enter into a clandestine relationship with him.

Was that what she really wanted? Perhaps she should leave it up to fate. Juan had promised that he would join her in London around the end of the year. If he arrived by Wednesday, she wouldn't go to Henry. If he didn't, she would meet the handsome Earl as planned.

“I expect to be here at noon, but if I am delayed, I promise I will wait for you.” She would bring her painting supplies again and set them up if he was not there. Her presence in the middle of the forest would then not look suspicious to anyone who passed by.

Soon Sophia was mounted on Acapella and ready to go. The long ride home would give her time to consider the wisdom of taking a second lover. “You too, Lord Arundel,” she called back to him. Turning the Lipizzan back the way they had come, she resisted the impulse to throw Henry a kiss over her shoulder. It was her trademark parting gesture when leaving the company of gentlemen, but if anyone was watching and reported what they had seen to Esteban, she knew he would never understand.

As soon as Henry was out of sight, she missed him dreadfully. Instead of pondering whether or not she was making the right decision, Sophia relived every moment of the afternoon, already longing to feel his lips upon hers once more.

~finis~ Thank you for a lovely thread.

Archived