JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Food For The Body, Music For The Soul [26/12, after church]- Xmas 1677

When Caroline readily agreed to play a solo, it was quite clear to Sophia that her friend loved to perform as much as she did. And she also seemed as confident with her cello as the petite Baroness was with her voice. The orchestra had blended beautifully at the opera and she had only heard the musicians collectively. She had seen Caroline from the stage during rehearsals, but she had been too busy with her own part even to smile at her. Lucas had been a tyrannical director, obsessed with perfection, and she had barely even had time to breathe.

Yet that was how it should be and how it had always been in Venice. Sophia felt more at home on stage than she did anywhere else. Now that the opera was over, she felt a bit lost. The excitement and anticipation were gone, leaving a gaping void in her soul. Perhaps that was why she was considering taking another lover. The sensations leading up to a show were much like desire, and she sought to fill that horrible emptiness inside her in the only way she knew how.

Or maybe now that the newness of her marriage had worn off and her beloved Prince was far away, her teenage hormones were simply raging out of control, but with a new vengeance now that she had been initiated into the secrets of sexual pleasure.

She crossed over to the table and retrieved her brandy and then sat back upon the bench as Caroline decided what to play. As soon as she began, Sophia closed her eyes and all her worries fell away as the magic of her friend's music surrounded her. From her own knowledge of music, she could tell that the piece that Caroline had chosen was complex and required great skill. The crescendo was brilliantly done and when the last note had been played, she applauded enthusiastically.

“Beautiful!” she exclaimed. “You play your cello as well as Master Cole plays his violin. I envy those who had the privilege of hearing you play together.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the conclusion of her solo, her friend applauded enthusiastically, even comparing her skills to Master Cole and his violin playing. Of that she was somewhat dubious, he was older and more experienced but she did appreciate Sophia's kindness and enthusiasm.

"Oh thank you. We did have a good time playing for those in attendance at the party. I would dearly love to do it some more. Plus once Master Cole heard me I believe that cinched my chances to become part of the opera orchestra. So it was most advantageous for me," Caroline remarked.

"And then........I got to work with you on the opera and see and most importantly hear your performance that opening night. So doubly fortunate I think as far as I was concerned," she added with a compliment for Sophia in return.

"I think I would like another drink if that would be alright? Solos are thirsty work," she laughed and reached for the brandy.

Sophia had an ear for music, and she truly believed that Caroline's skills were equal to Lucas'. She truly wished that she could hear them play together, but Master Cole appeared to have disappeared from court.

He had seemed depressed to her since that morning when she'd had to inform him that they couldn't meet after the concert so that he could teach her the ways of love. Her guardians had quite suddenly curtailed what freedom she had enjoyed. If they had given her a reason, she couldn't remember what it was. But it had seemed to hurt Lucas. In the selfish way of teenage girls, she wondered if he had left court because of her.

“I had planned to suggest that you become a part of the orchestra, but my lord husband was adamant that we leave London immediately as soon as he heard about the plague. I had no time to contact Master Cole. Did he select you himself or did you have to go through an audition?”

Caroline's complements made Sophia blush. “Thank you. Unfortunately, that show was both the opening and closing performance. I do hope that the King will decide he wants to see it again and that we can bring Master Cole and Master Greyson's creation to life once more.” If that happened, she wondered if Esteban would insist that she act in a more proper fashion. She wouldn't, and then he would be angry at her again.

“Please do.” Sophia waved her hand toward the brandy bottle. Her own glass was almost empty. She hadn't realized how often she had raised her glass to her lips during Caroline's performance. Her vision was a bit out of focus, and she felt as if she was surrounded by a warm golden glow. “Would you like a serenade while you enjoy your brandy?”

Sophia now revealed to her that she had wanted to recommend her to be a part of the orchestra for the opera only to be stopped by her Spaniard husband. Yet another reason to dislike Spaniards, Caroline thought to herself. The German girl also inquired how it had gone with Master Cole.

"No audition, no," Caroline shook her head, "Well, mayhaps not quite true. I believe me playing with him on the river ride was my unofficial audition. Still, I pushed it too, I actually wrote him a letter asking if he would let me play in the opera and he agreed without conditions."

She grinned, "Sometimes you need be bold."

They discussed the opera some more and how short it was, merely one performance.

"Yes, is that not unusual? Normally when a show is a success, does it not run for at the least several performances? It certainly seemed to me - judging by the audience reaction - that we gave them an enjoyable evening?" Caroline wondered aloud.

Sophia had not told Esteban that she wanted to suggest to Master Cole that Caroline be a part of the orchestra. He had been eager to leave, and if she had asked him to wait until she had a chance to speak to Lucas, he might have drawn the wrong conclusion and thought she wanted to meet the composer for a lover's tryst. So she had said nothing, hoping that they would return before rehearsals started. She could have spoken with him then.

But practice had been well underway by the time she recovered from the illness that had plagued her on the return journey from Madrid. She had been pleased to note that Caroline was already a part of the orchestra. She was such a brilliant musician that she had not needed Sophia's help.

“It always pays to be bold,” she grinned. “He must have been very impressed with you. From what I know of him, he is not the kind of man who is easily pleased. And we both know from working with him that he expects perfection.” Was that why their relationship had failed? Had Lucas thought she was perfect until he had heard those rumors about her lack of virtue? Maybe once he found out she had flaws (even though she had been a maiden and the gossip was untrue), he had lost interest in her.

Caroline didn't say anything when Sophia asked if she would like to hear her sing. After so many rehearsals and the opera itself, maybe she'd had her fill of the young Baroness' voice.

“In Venice they usually run for weeks, sometimes months, depending on how well they are received. But opera houses in Venice are open to everyone, while our show was limited to nobility only. I am hoping that so many people will tell the King how much they enjoyed it that he will decide he wants to see it again. Or maybe he will want it performed whenever he has important guests from the Continent, to show them that England is every bit as cultured as they are.

“Maybe we should all get together and rehearse every now and then so we will not forget our parts. If Master Cole has left court, it will be difficult, but maybe someone else with experience can step in and direct in his absence.”

Sophia asserted that it paid to be bold in life, as Caroline was beginning to find out more and more since her first arrival in London, not that - even as a child - she had ever been what one would call 'shy'. She nodded in agreement both to that and Sophia's declaration that Master Cole was not an easy person to please, least when it came to music.

"Indeed but I won him over and let me say it was a sweet victory," she grinned.

Sophia began talking about Venice and the opera there and how it worked in that land. Caroline listened as she sipped and enjoyed the brandy refill. It was patently apparent Sophia was ardently hoping for further performances here in England though, even to the point of suggesting possible rehearsals. Caroline, ever the realist...or was that cynic...doubted that complicated arrangement could be pulled off with someone of Cole's caliber to organize it.

"Oh, I hope you are right about the King requesting future shows...we will see. I don't know though about rehearsals to be honest. Getting together everyone without Master Cole might be a bit too ambitious," she shrugged.

"But you could sing for me right here and now easily enough. Perhaps not one of the opera songs but maybe something simpler, happier? And I will close my eyes and think of my childhood and imagine my mother singing to me," she requested then, afterall Sophia had just before offered to sing, why not take her up on it?

Winning Lucas' heart had been a sweet victory as well, for the brief time it had lasted. Sophia had fully intended to bestow him with her greatest gift … her purity … but her guardians' over-protective tendencies had prevented it. Considering how things had went, she was now glad she hadn't. Don Juan had been the recipient of her precious virtue, and she did not regret giving it to him. In fact, she believed that it had been meant to be his.

“You are probably right,” she conceded. “And Master Cole would resent anyone else taking his place. Maybe if the King requests another performance, he will return.” He could possibly be at court now, but if so, she had not run into him yet. Maybe he was avoiding her again.

Sophia grinned when Caroline asked her to sing. “The first English song I ever learned was written for me by a friend of my voice master. I sang it at a ball during a competition where we were to come up with an act using a hat. It is about a young girl looking forward to her first ball, which is something I think every lady can relate to. Or I could sing the song that Master Cole wrote especially for my voice, but I warn you, the lyrics are in Welsh. I practice it quite often because it is so beautiful and I do not want to forget it.”

"Yes, we best leave it up to the King. And good point, if he requests another performance I have no doubt Master Cole would agree to present it once more. One doesn't say 'no' to royals afterall," Caroline remarked then finished off the brandy in her glass.

It was no surprise Sophia seemed delighted to sing for her and quickly came up with two possibilities as to what she should perform, leaving it up to Caroline to choose. There was something she liked about both choices really.

"Well, could you not sing both of them for me? I do like the topic of that first song. And while I do not understand Welsh at all, I do want to hear how well you enunciate," she grinned, "From what I've heard of their tongue, it is certainly a difficult one."

Maybe Caroline had seen Lucas this season. She didn't seem to think that he was away from court. Sophia wanted to ask, but in truth, the handsome composer's whereabouts were none of her concern and she didn't want him to know that she missed him. A friendship had begun to flourish that day in the gazebo when she had fainted after hearing those horrible accusations against Lord Chichester. She didn't want to ruin that in any way.

“I would be delighted to sing both of them. I do not speak Welsh either and I am afraid that my pronunciation has suffered since I performed the song last spring. When he was teaching it to me, Master Cole was as tyrannical as he was during rehearsals, making me repeat each line over and over until I got it right. I sang it during a concert the King had requested, so of course he wanted it to be perfect.

“I should probably find a Welsh lady or gentleman to sing it to eventually. They will be able to correct my enunciation. I would not be surprised if the words are no longer understandable when I sing them.”

Setting her empty glass beside the bottle, she moved into the center of the room and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, she began to sing. She sung the English song first. It was the story of a young girl stepping from childhood into a promising adulthood ... of new adventures waiting to be experienced, a wish for true love, and the first stirrings of desire. Sophia had only recently passed that stage in her life and she remembered it well.

Emotion poured from each note she sang as her voice leapt and spun and danced through the room. She acted out the song just as she had done on the night she had sung it at the ball, clasping her hands to her heart as she sang of love, and twirling as she imagined her first dance at the ball. When it came to an end, she immediately moved on to the Welsh song, but this time she stood perfectly still while she sang it, focusing on articulating each word as well as she could recall it.

Both songs utilized every facet of her highly-trained voice, from the lowest to the highest notes she could sing, for they had each been written expressly for her rare acuto sfogato soprano vocal range. Once she had finished, she bowed theatrically and then grinned at her friend. Even after two energetic songs, she was not even breathless. “If a Welshman heard that last song, he probably would have cringed and drank the last of our brandy to wash the memory away,” she laughed.

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, I certainly am not Welsh so do not fret if you do mispronounce something....I certainly will not notice one way or the other," Caroline waved her hand in dismissal, "It's more about the tune and your beautiful voice in the first place."

Sophia's first song was in English so Caroline obviously could follow the story behind the tune. Young love, in fact first love. She smiled, here she was nineteen and still having not fallen in love yet. Would she ever? A part of her certainly hoped so but maybe it would never happen?

Sophia even danced while she sang, she certainly had showmanship and put real effort into it. Caroline could understand why the German girl loved to perform up on that stage. When Sophia finished the first song, Caroline was about to put her hands together in applause but the girl jumped right into the second song, the Welsh number. Unintelligible lyrics but most impressive voice, that's what Caroline concentrated on. When Sophia finished with a bow, Caroline burst into sincere applause.

"Excellent! I'd say you have the voice of an angel but then I've never heard one," she grinned.

"As for the brandy, that's for us, let the Welshman get his own" she declared even as she reached to pour another drink.

Sophia bowed again when Caroline applauded her. “Thank you. I have been told that before, but I do not know if it is true. I have never heard an angel either, but I am sure my voice would pale next to theirs. I did dress like one last spring when I sang for the King's birthday. Of course, I only sung hymns that night.”

She laughed. “Yes, the Welshman can find his own brandy. He probably needs an entire bottle to take his mind off of the way I butchered his language. Maybe I will learn Welsh once I am proficient enough in Spanish and French.” She remembered that Caroline had offered to help her with her French, which she hoped she was still willing to do.

Singing had sobered her up considerably and she poured herself another glass as well. “Do you think Mademoiselle Vauquelin would agree to something musical as part of her reign as Lady of Misrule? Perhaps we could get some musical courtiers together and perform during the next ball, maybe with masks to hide our identities. I brought quite a few masks from Venice.” Most of them had been gifts from her admirers during her illicit opera career.

"Since no one has apparently heard an actual angel sing since.....I don't know....Bethlehem? Did they sing then even? I forget," Caroline shrugged, her grasp of scripture was weak.

"Anyhow we don't even know if they are that great of singers. You however - well, people have heard sing and everyone declares you to be magnificent," she smiled.

Sophia voiced a desire to add Welsh once she mastered Spanish and French. My, adding all those to the girl's native German and English, she will certainly be the linguist! Caroline was quite content with English and the French her parents did teach her. Not like she got much chance to use it though. And if the damned war started, best she not speak it aloud at all.

Sophia was full of enthusiasm though for further opportunities to sing, bringing up an idea she had about arranging some sort of performance under the auspices of the current Lady of Misrule, Nicci of course. Caroline thought on it a moment.

"Oh? I'm uncertain if that is the sort of thing Misrule means? I thought she was to play tricks on the court and make people uncomfortable all in the name of entertainment of course. Mayhaps I do not understand this tradition though?" Caroline wondered aloud.

That she knew of, Nicci was much interested in men but as for music, not so much.

“I do not know.” Sophia grinned impishly. “I was not there. I always think of angels sitting on clouds playing harps and singing, but maybe they do not do that at all. Maybe they paint the colors on animals or create snowflakes in different shapes. In spring, they could invent new varieties of flowers and watch them bloom.”

Realizing how childish and silly she sounded, she blushed. Listen to me! I sound like I am five years old! “Thank you,” she said, her blush deepening. “I have not spoken to anyone who has heard you play your cello, but I'm sure they would all say that you are absolutely brilliant. I will tell everyone I know how splendidly you play.”

Her understanding of misrule was different than Caroline's and probably less accurate. “This is my first Christmas season in England so I do not know what to expect. I am so glad that I did not find the ring. I would have done a dreadful job.”

She sipped her brandy, a thoughtful expression on her face. “I thought she was supposed to arrange games and other entertainment for the amusement of court.” Sophia would probably mention her idea the next time she saw Nicolette. The worst she could do was refuse. She had a request from Esteban to run by her as well.

“How are the preparations for your party going?”

• 2 weeks later...

"Sounds like those angels are quite busy. For all that, I've never seen one and neither has anyone else I've ever talked to," Caroline commented, hoping Sophia did not find her lack of belief too disturbing.

It's not that she didn't believe in God, she did but a part of her was truly frustrated by any lack of evidence of His existence, at least to her knowledge. Sophia moved on though once more complimenting her cello playing and assuring her that she would tell others of her playing talent.

"That is kind of you, thank you," Caroline nodded.

As for the subject of Lady of Misrule, Sophia saw it all quite differently but also admitted she was rather inexperienced at this tradition.

"So am I, it is my first holiday season here at court but I do believe I am correct. I suppose Nicci is the final arbiter of what is allowed and isn't though so we shall see. You are certainly free to ask her about a performance," Caroline conceded.

It was then when Sophia asked about the upcoming party Caroline was throwing at her residence.

"I have been working on it. I already had a well stocked wine cellar but I have bought more liquors and wines of quite a variety. As for food, I have managed to hire a well recommended chef to prepare everything and allowed him to create the menu. We had a good discussion about the budget so he realizes he is not cooking for a royal and doesn't get carried away," Caroline answered.

She was grateful that Caroline didn't say anything about how childish her comments had been. Maybe she, too, had a vivid imagination. Sophia would not have been troubled by her friend's lack of faith had she known of it. The petite singer had once believed in God with a child's pure trust, but after her reputation had been ruined by scandal and her father had passed away soon afterward, she had decided that if there was a God, He would not have let such horrible things happen to her.

She had not believed in Him at all after that, but as her luck began to change, her faith had returned. Even now, she was far from pious but she did believe that God had given her a beautiful voice so that she could serve Him with it. If He had been watching, Sophia didn't think He would have disapproved of the opera. It had brought people joy and performing in it had not been a sin in the eyes of God, but only in the eyes of those courtiers who disapproved of anything that deviated from their narrow-minded perceptions of propriety.

“Mademoiselle Vauquelin's ideas might be completely different from both yours and mine. Whatever she comes up with, I'm sure it will be a lot fun. I will run my idea by her when I see her next. If she decides not to use it, then it is something to keep in mind for the future. The court does like to be entertained. There will probably be plenty of opportunities to put it into play.”

Caroline seemed to be a bit more further along in her party plans than Sophia was. The entertainment had been chosen while they were still in Madrid and she had also hired musicians to play in the background for ambiance, but she had not yet finalized the menu and had not even begun to think about the drinks. She would be decorating the Embassy later this week and tables would have to be brought in for the food.

“It is good to hear that everything is going well. Have you thrown parties before or will this be your first?”

• 3 weeks later...

"Oh certainly, my dear, go ahead and ask her. Nicci will if nothing else listen, I find her a good listener. We got along from our very first meeting, I love her spirit, her confidence....maybe overconfidence," Caroline grinned.

The last part was in reference to the French girl's personal crusade to become the King's mistress, which Caroline considered an overreach but still admired her ambition to try for it. She truly did wish Nicci well in that endeavor.

In answer to the other girl's question, Caroline took a moment to talk about her preparations thus far for her big party. That brought a second question from Sophia, a reasonable enough one at that. Caroline shook her head.

"Oh no, I've not done this before. There were no social affairs at all on the estate when I was married. He lived like a hermit, my husband," Caroline started. Except for his bedding boys.

"But if I can pull this off, I plan on it being the first of many. Even the house I live in here has a tradition of the most libertine of celebrations reverberating thru it's walls or so I have been told. So you see, I have standards to uphold, do I not?" she smiled.

“I hope I will see her soon. We spent some time together last season. She is kind and adventurous and a lot of fun to be around.” Sophia did not know that Nicolette wanted to become the His Majesty's mistress, but she would not have thought less of her for it. Bedding the King was a reliable way for a woman to become influential at court, at least until he tired of her. The petite blonde had never been interested in being one of many, and she was not particularly ambitious. She was also trying to earn the Queen's friendship. Sleeping with her husband would alienate her forever.

And I think I have an unhappy marriage. Caroline had fared far worse. Sophia couldn't imagine spending life as a recluse on some remote country estate. She thrived in social situations and enforced solitude would drive her completely mad. No wonder Caroline was glad he was gone. Now she was at court and able to do whatever she pleased.

While the young Baroness envied the freedom of widows, she had no desire to be one. As aloof and conservative as Esteban was, she was fond of him and hoped that his attitude toward her would thaw eventually. Neither of them would ever be the kind of person they wanted each other to be. They needed to accept each other for who they were.

“You will be a magnificent hostess and I believe that you will not only uphold those standards but surpass them. Who did the house belong to before you bought it?” Sophia assumed it was somebody who had been so popular at court that even she would recognize his or her name.

Caroline smirked, "Oh Nicci is adventurous alright. And very ambitious. Neither of those are bad things but both are...well, shall I say....at times risky?"

As the conversation veered back to her upcoming party, Sophia was curious as to who the previous owner of the residence had been. It certainly was a good question but one she could not answer unfortunately.

"I do not actually know the name. I really should find out though. You see I didn't exactly buy it, why I've never purchased something so expensive as a house before. My deceased husband had bought it or mayhaps even his father, knowing how inept my husband was," Caroline paused, again filled with hate for the dead spouse.

"So when I decided to come to London to spend time at court, I was then informed of this house as part of the estate. I do like the place. It is far too large for just me but that makes it all the better for holding a big party does it not?"

"Oh and the grounds...you will see. It is filled with nymphs and other such statues, quite magical really...or creepy...take your pick," she grinned.

Sophia grinned at Caroline's description of Nicolette. “Nothing worth having comes without risks. I envy her because she knows how to go about getting what she wants.”

So Caroline didn't know the name of the person who had given her house a reputation for hosting magnificent parties. Since her late husband or his father had bought it, that person was probably dead. Or maybe they had moved to a bigger house … or a smaller one if their celebrations had bankrupted them. “That must have been a nice surprise, finding out that you owned such a fine house in London.”

“And yes, a big house is ideal for parties.” The grounds of Caroline's house sounded fascinating. “I can't wait to see it. Statues of nymphs sound magical to me, but perhaps they look creepy in the winter when all the trees and bushes are bare.

“My lord husband and I did not choose this place either. It has always been the residence of the current Spanish Ambassador. Perhaps when the redecorating is done, I will throw a party to celebrate, but it seemed more appropriate to host a banquet at the Embassy for Christmas. I hope the ballroom is large enough, since I invited nearly everyone at court. Not all of them will come, of course, but I do hope Their Majesties grace us with their presence.”

She didn't think they would, but a girl could always dream.

"Well, she claims she knows what she wants, yes. I fear she wants too much and I worry for her in the long run. But I do wish her great success, however enough of Nicci for now," Caroline declared.

The conversation moved on to Caroline's soon to be party and her residence where it would take place. Caroline told Sophia what she could about it and it's previous owner, which wasn't much. Someday it might be fascinating to investigate the house's past and learn more? She would give it some consideration.

Sophia admitted they had no choice as to this current residence, it being property of the Spanish embassy not a private purchase. She was going to make use of it though to have a banquet for the holidays. That included inviting the King and Queen. Though it seemed Sophia did not hold out much hope they would attend.

"Well, mayhaps the invitation should have been worded that if their majesties fail to honor the invitation, Spain would promptly declare war upon England!" Caroline announced in a straight face though obviously was being girlishly silly.

"That should bring them running especially as it seems the English are already eager to fight the French next campaign season," that brought a frown though.

It seemed to Sophia that it was human nature to want too much. She knew that she did. What she dreamed of most of all was becoming Juan's official mistress, even if she had to move to Madrid. She wished she could have married him, but having a German wife would have hindered his plans to rule Spain. Maybe revealing their affair would hurt him too. The petite blonde didn't mind keeping their love a secret, but she wished that she could see him more often. Her husband was a poor substitute for her royal lover, at least as long as he treated her with cool indifference.

She wondered if she could find out who had once owned Caroline's house. Sophia was unable to resist a good mystery but this one was not hers to solve. Perhaps she should concentrate on the former Ambassadors who had lived at the Spanish residence before Ronquillo had corrupted it with his deceitful presence. Maybe he had not been responsible for the décor. If he wasn't, his predecessor must have been unmarried, for the colors and furnishings spoke of a masculine influence. It wouldn't remain that way for long. She would leave her own cheerful pastel mark on the place.

Caroline's suggestion on how to get Their Majesties to attend her banquet made her clap one hand over her mouth in feigned shock. “That sounds like something the former Ambassador would do.”

Her friend's frown made her realize that Caroline and Esteban were on opposite sides when it came to the war. Caroline was against it because her own country would suffer and Spain wanted England involved because it would weaken France. Sophia was against war in general, and her own opinion was conflicted.

“Maybe they will decide against it,” she said. “They couldn't come to an agreement during the session of the House of Lords I attended. There were as many opposed to it as there were in favor. Were you there? All they did was argue.”

"Oh? No wonder he was replaced. That would strike me as very poor diplomacy, even for an arrogant Spaniard," chuckled Caroline, despite her joking around it was fairly plain that the young lady shared her father's distaste for the Spanish, well any Hapsburgs, the long standing deadly rivals of the French. Though she was certainly happy enough in England, a part of her would always consider herself French. Now as for her Polish born mother, she had loved her mother dearly but she knew nothing about the Polish.

The conversation led to the possibility of war between England and France. Caroline made no secret of her desire that not occur. Sophia seemed to agree and pointed out the parliament had not yet even decided upon any course of action but were quite split in opinion.

"Yes, you are right. And I was there that day, I even saw you in the crowd," Caroline smiled.

"I was sitting with Master Cole and I am afraid I angered him a bit when I voiced my own opinion on the matter. But you know, much as I like the man, he could afford to be in favor of war, not like he was ever going to be on a battlefield to kill or be killed. The same can be said for most of Parliament - they can be brave as they won't be going on campaign. Mayhaps if they all would be required to fight in any war they voted for, well, there would be no war at all."

“He was a snake. Not only did he try to fool me into spying for him so he could discover Don Juan's plans, but he taught me a song in Spanish and said he could not translate the words. He wanted us to sing it at my party together. It is fortunate that I refuse to sing without knowing exactly what I am singing. I had a friend translate it and it turned out to be a duet about a married woman and her lover. He and my lord husband were bitter enemies and he wanted to embarrass him. But with Master Greyson's help, we turned the tables on him.”

Sophia did not remember seeing either Caroline or Master Cole at the House of Lords. “I think the same thing. They would be less likely to vote for war if they had to participate. Instead, it will be the commoners who fight and die and they have no choice in the matter. Parliament does not seem to care about them. I would think that some of the members have seen battle, but probably not on the front lines. They gave the orders and others carried them out.

“I do not understand why disputes between countries cannot be decided by negotiation instead of by war. No lives would be lost and no mothers, wives, and daughters left behind who cannot support themselves. But try telling a gentleman that. Most of them tend to prefer actions over words.”

A snake eh? Well, in Caroline's view so were all...no, she would be nice as it was the Christmas season...MOST Spaniards. Still, she decided not to share that opinion with Sophia, who had after all married one. Instead Caroline merely nodded as Sophia went on. Her tale ended well for her though and badly for the ambassador.

"Bravo for you then!" she congratulated the other girl, "I must admit I have never met this Master Greyson though indeed I have heard of the fellow."

The talk was then of possible war and Parliament's role in bringing it on. There the two young women shared the same general view, wars were hardly good things despite most men seeming to be rather eager for it. Well, at least the well born and powerful, Caroline wondered about the common folk. Of course then she remembered the enthusiastic crowds baying for French blood out on the streets of London. All rather disturbing.

"Well for men, there is this notion of honor and glory. You know I actually can understand those who hope to accrue a fortune during a war, loot or some such. That at least makes sense. But some hothead who merely wants to wave his sword and be the first to charge the foe. For glory? Seems all rather silly and dangerous to me," Caroline smirked.

“He went to Italy,” she said of Master Greyson. “I hope he will return next season. He is a very good friend of mine. We shared quite a few adventures together and I miss him dreadfully.”

Sophia had thankfully not encountered any mobs, but she had heard that they called out for action against both the French and Catholics. But did all of them actually want to fight in the war? Some would, of course. Men were men after all, and they could rise out of poverty if they distinguished themselves in battle. And as Caroline pointed out, they could become rich from the loot they took from their vanquished enemies. Dying probably never occurred to them.

“I don't understand any of it. There are safer ways to make a fortune and gain glory. I can see how they would want to defend their country. If England was conquered, then their lives would suffer. Commoners can't just pack up and move somewhere else. Maybe that is their motivation.” She shrugged. “I have never understood the minds of men. They think so much differently than we do.”

{OOC: Shall we start wrapping this up since Sunday will soon fall off the timeline?}

ooc: I agree, I think we accomplished what we sought for this thread by now.

IC:

"Ah Italy, I have never been there though I hear the weather is more pleasant than the countries I have lived in - Denmark, England," Caroline smiled.

As to why men fight, that was very complicated.

"My father tells me that the chance for loot and plunder can be a major factor in any campaign. He says soldiering is a business much as most others...only riskier," Caroline shrugged then as there was nothing anyone could do to change it, it was how the world was.

The ladies chatted on about other topics, ranging from such as the latest fashion and rumors going around on various people but eventually Caroline felt it was best she leave, she did not wish to wear out her welcome.

"This has been so entertaining and the food and drink excellent, my lady. But I really should be going. You make a fine hostess, I hope that Spaniard husband of yours appreciates it," she declared then stood up to begin the process of place her cello into it's travel case.

“The weather is absolutely marvelous. It does get cold there, but not the way it is here. From what I have heard of Denmark, it is even colder. I hope you will tell me about your experiences there one day. I love to hear about other cultures.” Sophia had no desire to visit Denmark herself, but she was curious as to what it was like. Maybe it was similar to Germany, since the countries were so close.

Her own father had fought in at least one war, maybe more. It was during a war that he had befriended Lord Kingston's grandfather. He had never spoken of that time to her, nor had she been interested enough to ask. “I guess some commoners join the military because they get paid regularly and can support their families. They would accept the risks involved as part of their jobs, I suppose. I doubt anyone would be forced to go to war against their will.”

It was getting quite late and Sophia had a rendezvous to make soon. She chuckled at Caroline's comment about her husband. It was understandable that she didn't like Spaniards. “Thank you. I hope I do half as well at the banquet. I'm glad we got the chance to play together, and perhaps we can do it again before the season ends.”

Sophia confirmed Caroline's guess Italy was nice and warm then the other girl expressed an interest in Denmark and what that land was like for she had never traveled there. Caroline felt she better explain further.

"Oh I barely remember it to be honest. I was but a very small child, we left for France but then soon after for England when I was ....four, five years old. I do vaguely recall we lived in this stone fortress and I played with another girl my age on the battlements, running about and laughing. The sentries could say nothing because my father was garrison commander," Caroline remarked.

And then it was time to pick up and go, as Caroline put away her cello in it's carrying case, Sophia hoped her own banquet would be as successful as Caroline's party.

"Oh I am confident it will be. You and your husband know a bigger circle of people than I do certainly. And besides, my party is libertine," she almost fell into a whisper at that, "Only certain people enjoy that sort. Your banquet has the trappings of a matter of state import."

As Caroline hefted her closed case now, she added with a grin, "Although I do imagine mine will be more wild and fun. No offense, my dear."

“That sounds like fun,” Sophia said of the story Caroline told her about her childhood. “I didn't do anything quite so interesting when I was a little girl, unless you count climbing trees to rescue stray cats.” Her early years had been pleasant and she had wished for nothing else but to stay in her castle with her father forever. Her Italian stepmother's tales of Venice had sparked her wanderlust when she had been five years old.

Sophia stood up and left her harpsichord, ready to escort Caroline downstairs when she had finished putting away her cello. “Some of the same people will probably attend both parties. You do not have to be a libertine to enjoy a bit of fun, just as you do not have to be proper to enjoy a formal banquet.”

She laughed. “No offense taken. Both of our parties will be fun, but in different ways. You will be coming to the banquet, will you not? The entertainment might be considered a bit libertine.”

Caroline laughed, "Ahhhh, so you climbed to rescue a cat but that infernal monkey you let me do it?"

She was only teasing of course. It was how they had actually met and the beginning of a growing friendship so mayhaps she should be thankful for the tiny brute and it's misbehavior.

"Speaking of which, where is Aurora? Stuck up on the roof or something?" she grinned.

As Caroline stood now at the doorway, cello in hand, she turned to say 'adieu' with one last smile and an answer then to Sophia's kind invitation to her banquet...well her husband's no doubt, he was the ambassador afterall.

"I am not sure why you would risk the likes of me coming to such an affair of state, I am not even a powerful noble but it is kind of you to offer so I will accept. Besides if the meal is as good as your little lunch today, I'd be a fool to miss such dining."

She did have one question though, "Umm, am I allowed to bring a guest?"

It was always a bit uncomfortable to attend things by one's self. Mayhaps John or Charles would take her?

Archived