JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Winter Port | 25th mid-afternoon- Xmas 1677

Debarking the barge on the city side, Nicolette took a pause upon bench seat, her eyes turned towards the dockyard further down and past the bridge. Was that a french flag flapping on one of the tall ships, don't say it was the same vessel she'd made her journey upon. Perhaps it was. She was no expert of such things, in fact they all looked much the same; gracefully large things with a pleasing balance of weight at waterline and beams&ropes in the air.

She lingered here, with no where else she she particularly needed to be, and yes, feeling a little homesick. This was her first Christmas day not spent with her mother.

• 1 month later...

A coach with the O'Roarke coat of arms stopped near by. There were several York livireid servants, who respectfully opened the door. A feminine figure slipped out, covered by a white cloak that was touched with ermine. A single red lock danced before her face, before she readjusted the hood.

The lady walked towards the railing and leaned over to watcht the ships, caught in her own day dreams perhaps.

Like every afternoon after arriving in London, Thomas strolled up and down docks. He liked watching the barges, and trade ships drift by, towards whatever destination they were intended for. Through the winter gales he sometimes caught a slight salty scent that was subtly mixed with the wind. He missed the salt spray of the seas, and the rhythmic rocking of a ship underneath his boots.

He felt like a foreigner here in London. Sure, the people spoke the same language as him, and looked like him, but something was different. Maybe it had to do with the lack of structure and discipline and warship had. He felt lost here, and what always caught him off guard were the amount of women strolling the streets. He spent most of his life aboard ships, and away from women. He didn't really understand how to interact with them. They were soft, and small, and delicate. He felt awkward in their company.

As he was pondering his purpose in London, a strange sight beset him. A coach with a noble's coat of arms emblazoned on in it, had stopped near the docks. Thomas watched carefully as a woman dressed in a fine white cloak stepped out of her carriage. It was a strange sight indeed for a noble to come down to the docks. Of course, he was a noble himself, but was a sailor at heart.

Being the untactful man that he is, Thomas let himself gawk at the coach, and its passenger.

People watching was a distracting sport.

Nicolette's silent gaze slid to the jangling carriage as it drew up not far away. She noticed one of the liveried men looked like a golden lion tamarin (which was to say he looked a lot like Sophia's pet monkey). His red hair brushed backwards, though standing up more than slicked, and his eyes rather too round to call relaxed. Nicolette discreetly watched him, wondering if he (like Sophia's monkey) was apt to doing things unpredictable? But the man was far less interesting than the pet, and instead scurried to attend to the coach door.

Out stepped an lady wrapped in cloak and hood, though keeping identity hidden it was plain enough she was very wealthy. Noble surely.

Belle fourrure blanche1, Nicolette admired a little enviously. The noble woman did not see Nicci, instead she adjusted her concealing hood and moved to the hand railing to look towards the ships. It was a picture from a story.

Perhaps the noblewoman was awaiting a long lost lover? Nicolette's imagination slid towards the romantic as she watched the woman who seemed to have everything. Tugging her own wool cloak a bit tighter, Nicolette looked towards the ships and wondered which one the woman's sweetheart might be in, or perhaps he was already rushing here upon a city carriage for their lovers rendezvous?

She loosed a soft sigh and looked back at the noblewoman; Nicolette imagined it must be such a lovely life. And then she noticed the man starting at the woman in furs, blind to anyone but the woman in white. L'amant 2

Feeling a little embarrassed to witness the love affair a lump formed in her throat, and glassy eyed Nicolette looked back to the distant ships.

1. Beautiful White fur

2. The lover

Still oblivious to any onlookers Heather stared over the port, lost in thought about her brother Clarence. It was out of the question in her current position that she reached out to him, and likely he would not hurry back to London. The redhead tried not to think what the pirate "Duke of Clarence" was getting up to in the Carribean. Of all her brothers, only Edmund remained to support her and some days she felt that loos keenly.

At some point Heather felt eyes burning in her back. Not a sensation she was unfamiiar with. Court liked to gossip its full about her. Carefully she turned around, her cloak falling wide, revealing a sumpteous emerald green silk day gown. Not the average day wear of a simpering society miss.

A man was close by, and a little further a lady... Heather frowned, was she familiar? The distance made it hard to tell but something tugged at her memory. Ignoring the gawking youth, it took just a few rushed steps for Heather to seat herself next to the lady.

"Nicci, is that you?" Heather breathed, little puffs of white frosted air escaping.

OOC: Why don't you approach and introduce yourself

Thomas watched carefully as the cloaked lady made her way towards a woman, that Thomas had yet to notice. He was unsure whether he should approach the two noblewomen. Would they mind his salty presence? He did try to keep himself looking relatively presentable by trying to keep up with the latest fashions the best he could, but no matter how he was dressed he always wore his sailor's cravat that was not as white as it once was, and held a faint smell of the sea. This afternoon he was wearing a deep blue coloured doublet with golden detailing, and a pair of breeches of the same colour. His shoulder length auburn hair hung loose around his head.

Thomas looked down at the clothes he was wearing and gave a shrug. He decided to join the ladies if they would have him. He tried to wipe the usual scowl off of his face, as he began his approach. He was unsure how he was going to act around the noblewomen. He tried to stow away the cold and demanding personality of Lieutenant Thomas Grey. As he came ever closer to the two women, he began trying to desperately remember the etiquette lessons his mother gave him. It had been too long since he had to use them. A warship was a very different place, then the battlefield of the courts.

Finally he arrived. The finally stretch of his approach left him more than a little awkward, but he pushed past it and gave the ladies a bow. "Good afternoon. What brings the two of you to this stinking paradise?"

"Stinking paradise? That's the best thing you could come up with? Thomas gave a slight wince as soon as the words left his mouth.

The French girl peeked back towards the story book scene she'd conjured, anticipating that by now the pair would be locked in an passionate embrace. But no? Here was the problem with a lively imagination, it advanced things far more than practicality was possible. Looking at the fellow again she wondered what was keeping him -- at which moment the woman's voice rung out, cheerful and light, and very familiar!

"Heather?!" arising, Nicolette broached the gap between them with hands outstretched to her mentor and friend. "Ah you look so well, and your cloak, sacre bleu, it is heavenly." Nicci gushed, properly kissing Heather on both cheeks.

Forgotten was her pining for home.

"I missed you when you visited yesterday... la, it is beginning my dear friend." Heather surely knew what Nicolette was about to talking about...

... but then belatedly 'The Lover' approached, and spoke.

Nicolette turned to look at him. While it was still quite possible that this gentleman was under Lady O'Roarkes spell, he could certainly do with improving his poetry. Talk of a stinking river was not likely to loosen a ladies laces - and and by the look on his face he knew he'd made a mistake.

Nicolette glanced back to Heather, and then replied to the gent with a grin, "You do not like our perfumes?" her dancing eyes slid back to her friend.

Thomas immediately shifted his glance from the women to his shoes. His face turned a faint pink as he felt blood rush to his face. Why was he feeling embarrassed? He never feels like that. "O-oh I-I-I meant the the blasted river. Your perfumes smell perfectly fine." he stuttered as he risked a glance at the accented lady and caught her grin.

"Their teasing you already." the taunting voice in his head spoke to him.

Thomas sucked in as much air through his nose as quietly as he could before he spoke again. "I was just curious as to why two finely dressed ladies were down here at the docks. Fisherman and merchant's wives I could expect, but..." his voice trailed off. He was unsure where he was going with this. It was true he was curious, but he never let curiosity rule his decisions. Careful planning and rational thought, or fury usually dominated his actions. Maybe it had to do with the two women themselves. He found them both attractive certainly, but he was far from being the dashing rogue. He was just scowling "old" Thomas. That thought reminded him.

"Apologies, I forgot to introduce meself. I am Lieutenant Thomas Grey" he gave a another bow. Of course he "forgot" to mention his pedigree. He'd quite like to leave his father out of most of his affairs. Personal merit and all that.

Kisses were shared with exuberance. "Oh Nicci," Heather sighed, clasping her friends hands between her own "You will do so well as long as you allow no silliness to enter your head. You need to be strong and cunning. He demands it. It will keep us busy this season, non?" In truth there was so much gossip to share, but they were not alone.

The stranger approached, not bad in his uniform. Many women had a weakness for it. Heather stiffled a giggle at the inartful observation about the Thames. The man had a rough, uncultured layer that was interesting and possibly amusing to suave courtiers. She exchanged glances with her friend.

She held out her hand, waiting for it to be kissed "Lieutenant Grey, such a pleasure." Her lashes lowered, but not demurely "Heather O"Roarke, Countess O'Roarke." Her bright green eyes regarded him "So what are you doing around port? Hoping to get aboard again, or just remembering hte misery?"

OOC: apologies for delays. Please remember to wait for others in the thread

"Silly, moi?" Nicolette jested easily, although she was aware of the messages gravity - Heather had seen her different sides before. "I will do my very best." in a quieter tone she promised, and squeezed Heather's hand as she included herself to the schemes. If Nicolette was to achieve success, she'd need every bit of Heather advice.

But for now the friends sharing was put on hold, as The Lover stumbled (verbally) about. Nicci's eyes slid to Heather, exchanging a moments delight at the fellows anguish. Ladies did like to disarm a fellow.

"And Mademoiselle Vauquelin," she added her own introduction and extension of hand following the Countess, dipping a curtsy, and making some effort to restrain her grin.

"Are you sure our perfumes small fine? I am not convinced you are close enough to appreciate them." She coaxed. Now if it was her innocent Lord Maldon, that would be enough to set him to blushing. Was Lieutenant Grey similarity innocent, or would he raise to her suggestion opportunistically?

Thomas took the hand that the fiery-haired woman offered to him. He bent down and lightly brushed his lips against it, taking note on how soft they felt compared to his calloused hands. "A pleasure to meet you, Madam" he said as he raised himself up from his greeting. He then bent down again to kiss the hand that the foreign courtier offered him. "And it is a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Vauquelin." He stood upright once again, and gave them both a sheepish smile. What was it about women that made him such a fool? If he was standing among men, he would act like his normal scowling self, but it was different here for a reason he did not understand.

"So what are you doing around port? Hoping to get aboard again, or just remembering the misery?"

"Oh, I tend to come down to the docks now and again" he said, his face dropping the silly smile it had on before. He switched his gaze from the Countess, to the Thames, as early memories of his days as a lad serving upon the Royal Oak. "I miss the smell, you see." he turned back to look at the Countess as he forced himself out of the memory. He gave her a quick smile.

"Are you sure our perfumes small fine? I am not convinced you are close enough to appreciate them."

At that Thomas went a light shade of pink again and gave an ungentlemanly snort. "I doubt you'd want me that close. You might catch a scent that's similar to that bloody river." he joked with a grin on his face.

OOC: Sorry about that. Got a little eager

Oh, but Heather had grown such a weakness for puppies, men that were ,for once ,not confident and seductive, but instead blushed to the roots of their hairs. There was something undeniably sweet to such men, and the urge to teach them all that this wicked court could be a temptation in itself. The redhead controlled her reaction but lowered her eyelids slightly as a sign of the little thrill of desire she had to repress.

She recognized the scent of the sea upon him and took in a brief swift inhale of air. "You are a true sailor then, Lieutenant Grey," she murmured huskily "My brothers Clarence and Darren are just like that." Not ot mention her lover and former lover. The court greatly favoured men of the sea.

"It sounds like we were all woolgathering then," she cried out with a bright laugh, trying to break the awkwardness, no matter that Nicci, that big tease, tried to increase it "Lieutenant Grey, would you not like to take us on a little tour of the port? Surely, having a woman on each arm will show you in the best possible light, and who knows, me and miss Vaughlin might learn something."

OOC: no problem, we are all having fun

Here was the difference between cat and kitten.

Nicolette bit her lip with silent glee at the fellows awkwardness, though she was no so absorbed in torturing the prey that she did not notice Heather's more refined manner, (Heather was her mentor after all.) "I doubt so." the french accented girl replied to his nervy reply. She quite expected, that like Lord Maldon, his fluster was there to hide longing.

One way or the'tother the ladies would secure a close position upon the man, but it was Heather's smooth manner that was most expedient. Nicolette almost crowed her agreement to the suggestion, "La! I am so interested in education. I am sure you find us both to be excellent pupils."

Thomas found himself engaged in conversation with two gorgeous noblewomen, he was surprised he hasn't buggered it up. He certainly wasn't expecting this when he awoke this morning. The two women seemed receptive to him, which was another surprise. Today was his day apparently.

He nodded at the countess' suggestion. It seemed like a good day to push his luck. God knows what might happen, these two could be his first friends at court.

"That sounds like a good idea." he said with a second nod. "Although, I must warn you. I am not too intimate with the port. I could talk about ships if you'd like, or maybe some of my experiences in the Navy. Though I doubt you'd like to listen to those tales, their mostly miserable and violent." he finished the sentence with a softer tone.

Memories of blood-soaked decks, and the thunder of guns filled his mind. He'd seen a lot over the years, and maybe too much for one as young as himself. There is a part of himself that revels in the bloodshed. The splintering wood, the dying screams, the crack of pistols and clanging of blades; it all made him feel so alive. The God-fearing side of his mind knew it was wrong to feel that way, but he couldn't help himself.

"La! I am so interested in education. I am sure you find us both to be excellent pupils."

The enthusiasm of the French girl was palpable, and it brought him back to the moment at hand. At her statement, Thomas' eyes lit up. He had an idea.

"Actually, we could trade lessons. I could tell you about the sea, what I know of the port, and my experiences (at your discretion) and the both you could teach me about the ways of the court. I'll admit that I've spent a long time away from home, and I've forgotten much."

"Oh, a question for a question," Heather cooed, the hood of her cloak gliding further down as she tossed her red curls " What an excellent game." Fears of violence did not terrify her. Not with five elder brothers with a redhead temperament.

A little more contained, yet not the least less enthousiastic the Countess rose from the bench. She put a white gloved hand on his arm, then waited for Nicci to join them as well.

Heather dove into the game, ladies first after all. "Tell me, Lieutenant Grey, have you ever encountered pirates? Are they as exciting as they say.. that is . rough, violent men?"

His caution of the sort of stories he could tell gave Nicolette pause. Her father had died in naval battle, before she'd even been born, and last season the talk of England declaring war on her homeland had been everywhere. Her cheer slipped a little, though her smile grew at the same time - which her trained response to things possibly troublesome.

"Oh, yes pirates." she seized upon Heather's question, grateful that it did not directly relate to war. "I have heard the pirates in the topics don't wear jackets, or even shirts. It must make fighting them very distracting." or that what her feminine mind imagined.

Thomas once again turned a light shade of pink when he noticed he was arm-in-arm with two women. He cursed himself under his breath. He was hardly the image of daring naval officer, rather he was one of a blushing schoolboy.

Pirates. He gave a smile when the conversation turned to pirates. He was reminded of being a lad of 14 and joining the crew of the HMS Resolution. He spent years aboard her in the Mediterranean fighting the Barbary Pirates that stalked those waters.

"I'm afraid I don't know much about the pirates in the colonies, but I fought those heathen bastards in the Mediterranean. Aye, they were savage in the attack, I've seen my fair share of good christian folk enslaved by them. Being the foreigners that they are the dressed funny. Wore strange wraps upon their heads, the officers often had them decorated with jewels and feathers." he shook his head as he sorted through the images of those he'd seen in his various encounters with the enemy.

"Of course I was a bit young when I first fought them. I spent most of my time below deck, but as I grew I fought them during a few boarding actions. Fear, hate, and rage tends to block distractions." he said with a wistful smirk. Thomas really didn't remember the specifics of each encounter, and sometimes they blended together, but he remembers the emotions vividly.

Heather, who as a writer and poetess had a very imaginative brain, immediately was caught up in images of the scene that Thomas must be imagining. Man to man, bloodlust, savagery. It was different from what she expected, her experience limited to her brother's crew. Oh my, she thought, a little puff of warm mist escaping her mouth.

"Is it true what they say then, that they enslave white men and .. women." A memory tugged at Heather, back when Lady Rebecca was kidnapped. A whole ring of Turkish slavers right here in London. "What do they do with them?"

Then with a laugh she interrupted herself "Oh, but vie, you caught me, lieutenant, I asked more questions than I ought. After all it is your turn now."

"Indeed it is." Thomas said as he began pondering what to ask.

The stroll through the docks had been surprisingly well. For the first time in what seemed like forever, he was enjoying himself.

"Tell me, are there any maidens at court that are ripe for marriage? I only ask because most men my age are already married, and have a family of their own. I was just thinking it was about time I started looking." that and he was beginning to feel a little lonely, but they didn't need to know that.

"Heathern Bastards." Nicolette giggled of the colourful language - oh how she wished Lady Hawker could be here!

"...But not all pirates are barbarians, why, Lord Kingston told me he was a pirate. Or at least, think that is what he said?" questioningly she looked to the others. Heather was Francis dear friend so would know if Piracy was on his resume. While Thomas might likewise explain an English perspective to the permitted pirates of England.

Thomas avoid Heather's risque question of what pirates did with women, naieve perhaps, but not so artless that he'd talk to ladies about rape. "Pirates do not marry their female captives do they?" Nicci smiled at his topic change, "Mmm... I am not sure if you shall find it easier to catch a wife at court than at sea, but there should be a bit less bloodshed Lieutenant Grey." Nicci teased.

Thomas gave a smile as the French girl giggled at his choice of words.

"There are some pirates that are employed by the King. I doubt them to be the barbarians in the Mediterranean. Pirates hired by the king are only supposed to attack enemy trade lines. I'm not sure whether what else they do. I wouldn't trust those who fight for coin, all the King needs is his loyal men of England as far as I'm concerned. And no I highly doubt Pirates marry their female captives."

"Mmm... I am not sure if you shall find it easier to catch a wife at court than at sea, but there should be a bit less bloodshed Lieutenant Grey."

Thomas gave a soft sigh "A pity. I just assumed since... Nevermind that."

• 2 weeks later...

"I am quite sure buccanneers are not as barbaric as true pirates," Heather opined "Why, Prince Rupert was a buccaneer back when Charles was still in exile, and how could the court have been kept without the fortune he brought in. I am sure it was duty to royalty that kept Lord Kingston thus active."

It slipped, it was not intentional, but the Countess always refered to the King by his Christian name when in comfortable company. It was her way of assering he no longer had a hold over him, as well as none too subtly announce previous intimate relations. If she had not been coaching Nicci so much on this very issue it would have come out differently.

It had not escaped her notice that Thomas did not directly answer her question "Fie, lieutenant, you are cheating," she laughed, hitting his arm in mock censure "For sure, pirates are not the marrying kind, but they can be passionate lovers. It is not all rape and pillage." That at least Heather firmly wished to believe for it was mighty uncomfortable to think of Clarence as a rapist. No, that would not do at all.

"Now tell me, Lieutenant, what kind of woman would you prefer... as a wife that is," Heather continued her teasing.

Nicolette put hand to lips, surprised at Heather's slip, even knowing that she'd shared the mans bed.Heather was a comfortable sort of companion, it was easy to forget quite how loftily she was placed. "M-hmm." the girl nodded purchasing a moment to adjust her mind, the topic of pirates habits was not near so interesting to Nicci as other topics were, "plundering is practically the English Crown's right..." Oh how she prayed the King would one day plunder her!

Yet the pairs companion was troubled over his own prospects. Nicolette met Heather's eyes with her question to Thomas, and with a tip of a head suggested, "Fiery, passionate, and willing."

Thomas tried to hide his shock, at the Countess' casual use of the King's name. She was either intimate with him or very brave. He wasn't going to point it out. He reckoned it was a better idea to pretend like it didn't happen.

"Fie, lieutenant, you are cheating"

Thomas grinned at her playful nudge, he was happy that the two women were warming up to him. It felt nice to finally find some agreeable company.

"You wound me, with your accusations!" he joked. He had avoided specifics on purpose, it wasn't a topic for light conversation. "I'm just trying to avoid unpleasant topics, that's all. You must know what men are like after being on a ship with just men for extended periods of time. Some men find it easier to take what they want, rather than spend the coin, or woo a lady.

That's when the lady Vauquelin spoke up. He laughed at her double meaning. "Indeed, some take that to heart more than others."

"Now tell me, Lieutenant, what kind of woman would you prefer... as a wife that is"

Now that was the question, indeed. Thomas saw the same teasing smile on Ms. O'Roarke's face, but he felt he should answer honestly. He knew he shouldn't joke when it came to matters of the heart. That's when Lady Vauquelin offered him suggestions. The tips of his ears went pink and his cheeks began to burn red, as he met the eyes of his companions.

"I-I, uh -- Yes, well those are good traits to have," Thomas took a moment to really consider what he was going to say next. "Someone who's really alive. It'd be refreshing I think. You see some people who are so dreadfully boring, like they're already dead."

• 2 weeks later...

Fiery, passionate and willing.. in a wife? I thought that was what men were looking for in a mistresss. Heather arched an eyebrow at Nicci's suggestion in mild surprise, then could barely repress the giggle as Thomas went pink all over, Nicci's words obviously meeting their target. Well, perhaps he was't just looking for a wife then. A soul mate perhaps, a wicked lady.

"Lively, well that is a good start," Heather mused 'You must stay away from the overly proper sort of families then. The Cavendishes, the Howards, the Butlers.. Not a laugh to be shared between them. . I think you need a lady of understanding, one who allows you to roam free from time to time but stays at your side when it is necessary. This a merry age after all and a man should be allowed to enjoy himself"

Heather pursed her lips "Unless you wish power, then by all means go for the proper sort of wife, at least she'll look away when you put up a mistress somewhere, even if she'll never approve and will be a cold fish in your bed while you sire an heir."

OOC: sorry, sorry, feel free to skip me from time to time as I try to adjust my time table

While in fact Nicolette was hoping to carry out conversation on two fronts- while seemingly responding to Thomas she was conversing with Heather upon His Majesties penchants - with the French girls hunch based on qualities she believed Heather to possess.

Beaming as her assertion gained approval on both fronts, Nicolette supposed, "Lack of jealousy in a gentleman is a liberating thing." If the King was not jealous, that suited Nicolette's plans just fine. Her eyes swung on to Thomas... perhaps her future plans might include him in due time.

"Already dead..." she repeated his words, she knew some people just like that - with show of a shiver at the thought she agreed, "tragedie."

Understanding that Heather's words about power, were for Thomas specifically, Nicolette's mind wandered on a little. With a whimsical sigh she breathed, "Power, it is an aphrodisiac, oui?" At least she had found herself most attracted to men that possessed some manner of authority.

OOC: we've time, and I am more than happy to wait for your parts in our wintry theatre *hugs*

Thomas gave a shrug. He never really lusted after power, he liked to earn what he got. He wasn't made lieutenant because of birth, the navy didn't work like that. He gained his rank through blood, sweat, and salty sprays. Thomas knew it was fairly uncommon, for a man of the gentry to marry for love, rather than great wealth or influence. He figured if he was going to be stuck with someone for the rest of his life, it should be someone he could at least tolerate. Of course, it was not unheard of for spouses to live apart. If they had the coin. He couldn't live like that.

"I just feel like if I'm going to get married, I should at least tolerate their presence. I don't think I'd feel right taking a mistress. Maybe I'm just being naive?" he said voicing the thoughts passing through his mind. Thomas gave out a chuckle. "It wouldn't be the first time."

"Power, it is an aphrodisiac, oui?"

Thomas nodded and gave a smile "For both sexes, I find. It's not often you find a woman that exudes power and confidence. Just like you said" he glanced at Ms. Vauquelin "Fiery and passionate. I think they are very attractive qualities."

Heather patted Thomas' arm as they moved through the cold wintry scene. "I wouldn't say naive, charmingly refreshing perhaps, something new and unexpected. It has some appeal to a jaded court. Why, a promise of such dedication might enchant some ladies, even the most passionate. You should point out what an honorable young man you are."

The redhead laughed "Though, do not take that honorable thing too far. If it is fierce and passionate you are looking for, you will wish to show your lady of choice you can be.. ah.. forceful? .. no.. nor domineering.. truly powerful people have no need of being either. " She took a deep breath of the chilly air which burned in her lungs while she thought of her James instead of the King "A man who knows what he wants in full confidence, and does not hesitate in his pursuit. It can be quite a thrill, no.. to be the object of the chase?"

Her green eyes glided over to Nicolette and gave her a sly wink. Even the King, though frequently lazy, did like the chase from time to time. His brother was more honest about it though and that she preferred.

"This is your first Court season?" Nicolette asked Thomas. In her experiance people grew, shifted and changed, especially through their first or second season, and then they changed again following marriage, she remembered Sophia's idealistic views on marriage prior to it, how she was determined hers would be a happily ever after.

"I hope your vision is realised." she said kindly to Thomas.

Heather though, might have been the Lord Jesus, and Nicci her disciple such was the care that she paid her words. Power hmm, domineering? the Frenchwoman tipped her head, better to figure how to head these pearls of wisdom. It was a bit like Francis advice, that the King might find a passive role alluring, and so Nicci had given chase, albeit at a distance as Francis had advised.

"Hmm... l'amour is a varied banquet perhaps, with many tastes, many flavours - and the greatest gourmand is known to savour all and every of them - and the chef's excite of his appetites, prepare this and then that for him." she gave a chuckle as she mentally assigned roles to persons within her allegory.

Thomas sucked in a breath of the chilled air. He felt more than a little embarrassed discussing topics that he held close to his chest. He'd certainly never spoke of them with the men on the warship. He felt that such a place wasn't suited for this kind of talk. It was strange to talk fairly openly with two women he'd just met, but for whatever reason he found the Countess, and Ms. Vauquelin as calming presences. The pat on the arm only magnified the feeling.

He gave a smile to the redheaded noblewoman "Honourable, but not too honourable. Innocent, but not too innocent? That sounds like quite the challenge." He caught her wink to the other woman, but said nothing of it. Perhaps there was a double meaning?

Thomas' attention went back to Ms. Vauquelin "It is indeed" he nodded. "I'll admit it's a little daunting. Things were much simpler aboard a ship" he said with smile. That was true enough. At sea he knew what he was supposed to be doing at all times, and what was supposed to done. Here it was different.

Thomas smiled at her metaphor. "That's something to keep in mind, but maybe a little too overwhelming for the time being."

Archived