JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Nativity scene; 25th morning [open]- Xmas 1677

Perhaps Nell would be relieved to know that Nicolette had never called herself 'Belle Vauquelin', although at times it didn't seem that Nicolette could do anything right in Nells eyes -- perhaps it was Nell who was the one jealous? How about that.

“Well I would prefer err on the side of praise, besides, it my countries ilk to do so." Nicolette laughed cheerfully, dismissing her error like that, "the trick, with the French, is to know if the flattery is sincere or mocking. Mmm... what do you think it is, mon Capitaine?"

Douglas was surely happy to be back at court, Nicolette could tell, as he then playfully pretended cold and asked the ladies for ways to keep him warm. Nell's solution was the Eggnog. Was Nicolette already a dissolute to be thinking of something else entirely?!

“Mm... if that does not work, we might come up with some other." she daringly replied... she'd once seen Douglas naked. Cheeks pinked.

"Like I have heard there is hot baths in town." her words now tumbled quickly over one another, as she tried explain away her comment (even the blush itself) "public baths where only a screen separates the men from the women bathers. Ah! Have either of you ever been there?" Still this embarrassment she felt, was strangely enjoyable, Nicolette was discovering a joy in shocking herself (if not others) at her daring.

Waylaying Nell a little longer, Nicolette caught her hand, "Shall we plan an outing there together?" specifically inviting Nell, though Douglas was entirely, but nakedly, invited too.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Douglas assumed that everyone knew he was a bastard - often in more ways than one. It was right there in his name after all, although if he'd thought about it he might have realised that the name could simply imply bastardy somewhere in his ancestry. But if not for her whim, Nell's children might have been called FitzCharles like those of another Royal mistress. The big Scotsman went through life as though his illegitimacy was an indelible forehead tattoo, and he was looking for some way to remove it.

The fact that a lady called him wonderful - however overdone it might be - was a warm and welcome boost to the ego. "I shall believe it tae be sincere, Mistress Vauquelin, fer tis a pleasant thocht." He declared. "An' if tis otherwise, I'll speir ye leave me tae my far more enjoyable ignorance."* He added with a grin. He didn't think she mocked him; didn't want to think it. He liked her too much for that.

It was plain that the actress was right at home in London when she grinned at his suggestion that they all stay in the city. He had to chuckle as she called him out. "Alas, I'm nae sae guid an actor as yersel', but ye cannae blame a man fer tryin'."** He added with a wink. He'd take what excuse he could find to snuggle up to Nicolette, if she'd let him.

As Nell served him herself Douglas accepted the warm cup of eggnog with a slight bow of acknowledgement. "Ye hae a safe trip Lairdy Nell, an' luik efter yer wee uns."*** He bade her farewell. What he wouldn't have given to have his mother around as a boy, even if she'd been an actress. Even if she'd been a whore.

Sipping his drink, Douglas smirked into his cup as Nicolette suggested that they might have to find some other way of warming him up. He'd been thinking the same, although he had to admit he was surprised when she suggested the baths, suddenly babbling about them and turning a delightful shade of pink. "Aye, I hae been thair."+ He allowed. Usually he preferred a tub by the fire.

He'd been about to mention that tub by the fire, along with the fact that you could fit two if you were careful, but as Nicci stepped away to talk to Nell he held his tongue. He mightn't be the fastest thinker at court, but he did reach important conclusions eventually. The pink blush, the babbling, and the recollection of her watching him swim at the beach at Brighton, but fleeing when he came too close, all led to a particular inference.

She wanted to be a libertine, you could see it in her movements and hear it in her words, but she wasn't one yet. Those little mannerisms spoke of a nervousness, a fight against training and instilled propriety that couldn't be rushed, lest it be ruined. So the big man simply settled to lounge in a chair by the fire, warm cup of eggnog in his hand, and waited to see what the ladies would do next.

Subtitles

* "I shall believe it to be sincere, Mistress Vauquelin, for it is a pleasant thought. And if it is otherwise, I'll ask you to leave me to my far more enjoyable ignorance."

** "Alas, I'm not so good an actor as yourself, but you can't blame a man for trying."

*** "You have a safe trip Lady Nell, and look after your little ones."

+ "Yes, I have been there."

Nell was not jealous of Nicolette. Contrarily, she felt a bit protective of her. She had seen so many sweet young ladies fall afoul of silver-tongued rogues who ruined their reputations for a bit of fun. Lord Dundarg, she was pretty certain, was not one of them. His affection for the Frenchwoman seemed sincere and reciprocated. But there were other courtiers who would not hesitate to take advantage of her and she seemed rather naïve for her age. Perhaps the handsome Scot would take care of her and see that she came to no harm.

They certainly didn't mind flirting in front of her, but Nell took that as a compliment. She strove to be approachable to everyone, and that they felt comfortable flattering each other in her presence proved that she was doing a good job of it. When she called Douglas out, his response made her laugh. “At least you don't deny it.” Her eyes flickered to Nicolette and then back to Douglas. “Sometimes being obvious is the best way to get what you want. But if you ever want a few acting lessons, look me up.”

As she had suspected, Mistress Vauquelin didn't think the eggnog was enough to warm the Scot up. By the way she blushed, Nell believed that she knew what the other woman had in mind. Perhaps they are lovers already, she mused. And they're waiting for me to leave so they can fall into each other's arms.

Yet then Nicolette mentioned the public baths and asked if either of them had been there. Douglas admitted he had and Nell nodded as well. She had bathed there as a child … when she had bothered to bathe at all …and she knew that some of the more daring nobles frequented them as well.

“Them's not for proper ladies, love,” she warned the Frenchwoman when she implored her to go with her. “But if you want to go anyway, it's best you go with someone who ain't no lady.” Nell squeezed her hand. “We can talk more about it later, maybe tonight at the ball.” It sounded like a fun excursion, but she wasn't sure if the King would want her cavorting about in public baths when she could cavort with him in his private tub. Then again, he rarely denied her anything.

She glanced over at Douglas where he sat by the fire. “If we do go together, it'll have to be just us girls.” Dropping her hand, she smiled warmly. “And now I really gotta go. I'll see ya both tonight at the ball.”

With another grin for each of them, she turned around and headed out the door.

{OOC: Figured you two might want to be alone, so I took Nell out. If you want her to stick around, you can always call her back. There will also be opportunities to post with her at events and such, or on request.}

Nicolette did not clarify for Doug either way, it did not hurt to keep a gentleman a little uncertain after all - but instead she smiled mysteriously. Goodness, he was just as adorable as she remembered! It was little wonder that so many ladies fell under his charm.

But for a time she abandoned him, for a little tete a tete with the Actress. Nell advised against the baths, though if she was set upon it, said she'd be just the one to go with. Nicci gave a pleased smile, "Then we shall plan it my friend." eyes sparkled at this positive turn, while it was a little early yet to dub the pair 'friends', it was a start "- see you tonight."

And the cheery Nell exited, and Nicolette found herself alone with the Scott.

Approaching she smiled and slid onto the couch next to him, "What adventures have you for your daring ladies this season? Mmm... no, I mean what adventures have you for me?" Theoretically at least, Nicolette was very much enjoying this new life of the libertine!

"... and I think you should take up Nell's offer of acting lessons, she is a lady with influence yes, to come under her tutelage must be good for the ambitious." While Nell might disparage her own influence at court, Nicolette saw it rather differently.

The ladies finished their whilst Douglas gave them the privacy to say what they would. Exactly what a Royal Mistress might say to Nicolette was an interesting question, and one which a man's imagination might run away with.

Nell bid them a final goodbye, and Douglas signalled to the servant as Nicolette joined him on the couch by the fire. They were brought two more cups of eggnog to keep them warm. The big man laughed at her question, delighted by the lady's coy daring. Ah, she would be a force to reckon with when she was fully comfortable with whom she wished to become.

"We think alike thair."* He agreed on the subject of Nell's offer of acting lessons; he'd be a fool not to take her up on them. A very useful skill at court, he mused, as he drank the warm, sweet drink.

Reaching an arm around Nicci's shoulders, Douglas smiled at her. "Weel noo, tha' aw depends on whit kind o' adventures wuid please ye, thou' I hae a few ideas." He declared, a twinkle in his bright blue eyes. "I do hae ocht fer ye, ocht I promised a wee whilk back."** And he hadn't forgotten.

OOC: Thank you for writing Nell, Delight!

Subtitles

* "We think alive there."

* "Well now, that all depends on what kind of adventures would please you, though I have a few ideas. I do have something for you, something I promised a little while back."

But Nicolette refrained from saying what Nell had said to her, for now at least. It was simple enough to shift her focus upon Douglas, than to wonder why Nell did not want a mixed outing to the baths - and Nicci was not quite so daring to suggest that as an outing there directly to Douglas, just he and she.

"Hmm... perhaps next season you shall star in a play, a rival to Lady Toledos Opera?" the girl teased. Douglas then got himself comfortable, spreading his arm out along the divan behind her. A shiver ran up Nicci's spine, he was practically embracing her! She sat still, pretending not to notice, all the while delighting inside.

"Perhaps an indoor adventure Lord Dundarg?" Douglas factored outside of Nicolette's grand schemes, so that fancying him as she did seemed a rather more private indulgence. She dropped her voice to quiz, "What were you thinking?"

He remembered some promise, a promise that she did not remember. "It is a lovely promise?" she asked, turning to look at him particularly. Oh drat that they were sat in one of Whitehall's most public rooms, she'd really like to try kiss him about now, and she did not think he'd mind much either. Cest la vie!

“Nell wuid hae tae be a verra guid teacher!”* He chuckled, amused by the thought of himself in a play. Not that he objected to the idea itself, goodness knew he had little compunction about playing up in front of others and indeed enjoyed the attention, but he doubted he’d be good at it. And nothing was likely to rival Sophia’s performance in the Opera.

“Fer the Society, I was thinkin’ ahaps a ghost tour.”** He revealed, wondering how she might respond to that idea. He was going to change the way things worked slightly as well. But he had a good start for a horror story.

The big man smiled mischievously as she asked what kind of adventure he had in mind. “Fer us, aye, an indoor adventure.” He agreed. “We hae tae find ocht.” He told her, thinking on his feet. “An’ thain I can gie ye whit I promised.” And gladly. “I think ye weel like’t.”*** He added.

Was she up for a little game, a little indoor fun as requested? Cornflower blue eyes met hers as he spoke, a smile playing at his lips as he wrapped his hand around her slim shoulder.

Subtitles

* “Nell would have to be a very good teacher.”

** “For the Society, I was thinking perhaps a ghost tour.”

** “For us, yes, an indoor adventure. We have to find something. And then I can give you what I promised. I think you will like it.”

"A ghost tour." Nicolette repeated with due reverence. While there were the odd brave soul that did not believe in such things, there was simply too much 'unexplained' to entirely dismiss it. Mlle Vauquelin was not sure if such things were real or not, though it was definitely exciting and a bit scary. And, "... and then we'd get a ghost charm for our bracelets?" she gave a small smile that she softly teased him with a secondary matter. Serious again she added, "It sounds very exciting, I already cannot wait."

Nicolette did not need to wait long for a mystery though. Douglas collected her fascination deftly about finger tip, done so smoothly that she had no idea he was thinking on the fly.

"La!" she breathed, eyes flaring, "What do we need to find?"

And he was looking at her with those eyes of his - such a pureness of blue, yet filled with alluring insinuation of darkness. "I am so relieved we shan't need to brave the cold." said she, feeling his warm hand clasp about her shoulder -- a shiver of pleasure ran up her spine.

Perhaps he was not talking of a treasure hunt after all. Perhaps the thing he'd promised to give her was not another pretty trinket to hang around her neck?

"Did you loose this 'something' we need to find? Lately, I have noticed, it is hard to loose something we do not want. Perhaps then, it is easy to loose the things we want most of all. Was it something you, love, we need to find?" she suggested quietly, moving her fingertips a little with an urge to touch him.

Still she was very aware that they were in a public room, and it might harm her plans, Louis plans, if she was caught canoodling with Douglas, but oh, how she'd like to canoodle. Had he ever promised her passion? Surely she'd remember that, if he had. Her memory of the evening atop clifftops was so sweet, the kiss she remembered was poignant, chaste to forehead. But down at the ocean, that was a more confusing recollection, scattered with memories of his body parts (which did not help her remember what he'd actually said).

The idea of a ghost tour seemed to appeal to Nicolette. “Aye, acourse.” Douglas assured her on the subject of a ghost charm. The fun of adventuring, as well as the thrill of the adventure itself, was being able to subtly brag about it afterwards. “I weel let ye ken as soon as tis organised.”* He assured her. Since the idea obviously appealed to her, hopefully it would appeal to others.

The idea of a little indoor adventure seemed to intrigue her. “Nae, tisnae ocht I lostit.” He replied, deliberately drawing it out. “Tis ocht tae do wi’ the season.” He glanced around the room, but couldn’t see what he was looking for. “But we shall hae tae search Whit’haw fer’t.”** What he was looking for had to be somewhere, and half the fun could be in the searching.

Her comment drew a thoughtful look from the big man; how true her words were. “Hae ye been tryin’ tae lose thin’s?” He asked, curious. What might Nicci wish to lose that she could not get rid of? Unwanted attention perhaps? Or rumous; they were awfully difficult to shake, he knew. Her counter-observation was equally astute. “Tis aw tae easy tae lose thin’s we want, if we dinnae tak care tae keep thaim.”*** He agreed quietly.

But Nicci’s affection wasn’t something he cared to lose. He remembered all too well their conversation atop the cliffs. If I had all the money and good breeding I needed, I’d marry her for her charm. He mused. Alas but, in his situation, he needed a wife not only with money but with noble blood, to balance his own bastardy. She was proving difficult to find. Somehow he doubted he’d wed for affection.

Not that he wanted to dwell on that now. He preferred to live in the moment, and right now that moment belonged to Nicolette. Setting his empty cup aside, Douglas held out a hand to her, brows raised in silent invitation. Shall we?

subtitles

* “Of course. I will let you know as soon as it’s organised.”

** “No, it isn’t something I lost. It’s something to do with the season. But we shall have to search Whitehall for it.”

*** “Have you been trying to lose things? It’s all too easy to lose things we want, if we don’t take care to keep them.”

"Real ghosts, not men in sheets?" Nicolette thought to quiz...

Discarding her cup, she took his hand to arise. He was a man of action after all, they had talked about hunting for this 'something' long enough. "To do with the season?" it was a clue, and given her current train of thought, the conclusion she reached was simply made. Her smile warmed with her belief that she knew their plan now, and hand was slid through the crook of his arm.

"Perhaps mince pies then?" she made effort to press against him as they moved, "perhaps we should hunt the kitchens, or the banquet hall." she watched his face, the expressive shift of his jaw.

"Ahh..." his direct question caught her by surprise though. She'd forgotten how that was his way, she ought not have mentioned something she did not want to talk directly about. "It is nothing really, I. Mmm. Am making a life, and the loosing of the old, it is a strange sort of thing." she did not want to tell him what she specifically wanted to loose, although, he might be willing to assist her to do that.

In reply to his own comment then she said, "Some things we love, we then grow out of. Some things we love, we grow with." she hoped her friendship with Douglas would be like the latter.

“Aye, acourse.” Douglas assured Nicci on the subject of the ghosts. “Nae silly tricks fer my Adventuresses.” He wouldn’t degrade the concept with such. “Real tales o’ hauntin’s an’ horrors, an’ a visit tae a site o’ such.”* He promised, having already had ideas as to possible locations.

The big man smiled at her suggested quarry. “Weel, I wuidnae sae ‘nae’ tae a mince pie, thou’ tisnae whit we’re luikin’ fer.” He revealed. The Kitchens were below stairs, but other possibilities appealed; Douglas was always a sucker for offers of food. “Le’s try the Banquettin’ Haw.”** He agreed, offering Nicci an arm as they set off on their adventure.

That was Douglas unfortunately; well intentioned but subtle as a brick. As they walked Whitehall’s corridors he listened to Nicci’s vague explanation, realising it had been meant as more of an idle comment. He chuckled in spite of himself. “Ye cannae tell me ocht new aboot tryin’ tae lose the remains o’ yer auld life.” He said quietly in understanding tones, accompanied by a faint smile. “Some hint allus follers, but ye dinnae hae tae pay only attention to’t.”*** He advised with a shrug of rangy shoulders.

No, far better to focus on the very pleasant point at which life had come to now. “Will ye let me in on whit grand plans ye hae fer the season?”+ He urged. Being Nicci it would be something eminently daring and stylish, in his mind.

Subtitles

* “Yes, of course. No silly trillys for my Adventuresses. Real tales of haunting and horrors, and a visit to the site of such.”

** “Well, I wouldn’t say no to a mince pie, though it isn’t what we’re looking for. Lets try the Banquetting Hall.”

** “You can’t tell me anything new about trying to lose the remains of your old life. Some hint always follows, but you don’t have to pay any attention to it.”

+ “Will you let me in on what grand plans you have for the season?”

"Ooh, it sounds better still. The tales that is. I love to listen to ghost tales... but I don't truly want to have any for myself. To see where they have happened though, that sounds fun." Perhaps Nicolette was more of a 'believer' than she'd like to admit.

Curling hand around his arm, and tucking fingers under the sleeve, she strolled along at his side with skirts swishing. "...a plum pudding, some sugar'd almonds, or ginger bread." her eyes were bright, and a pleased smile was on her face.

"I suppose that is what makes us each different, the different challenges we face." Nicolette expressed easily enough, although wanting to loose her virginity was not like wanting to loose a reputation (which seemed to be what he was thinking about.) She was hardly about to explain her own trouble to him, for that would seem like a request! Besides, in but a few hours she hoped that not to be a issue any more.

"Oh." she blinked, and then gave a laugh. A laugh at why she should hesitate?! It was not like like he was courting her, not like she needed him to think he was her only one. "Well, this season I shall seduce the King." she cheerily announced, "why already he is fairly panting for me, it's just he does not yet know who I actually am." Now it was her turn to look all mysterious, while inviting his fuller interrogation.

He’d judged correctly then. Better the fleeting and safe horror of tales of encounters than the risk of actually finding a restless spirit. Given his upbringing and area of origin, he was less inclined that many to dismiss such things as fanciful.

She was making him hungry. Douglas was always hungry mind you, but she was making him aware of it, competing with other appetites. Still, sometimes they were best sated together. “We shall hae tae see whit we kin find.” He opined, looking forward to the hunt. “D’ye think we’ll git intae trouble fer raidin’ the King’s larder?”* He asked mischieviously. He was always getting into trouble from Cat for the amount he ate, even though she should be used to it by now.

“An’ hou we choose tae face thaim.”** The big man agreed. That was something that he was learning. Of course, he assumed that she referred to her French past and family destitution, having not the slightest inkling of her true thoughts. If he had he might have responded more enthusiastically.

Her reply made his dark brows rise in surprise. “Och aye?” Was his first comment, an effort to sound interested and hide his disappointment. Always with young women wanting the King. Still, he had a thing for Countesses and Duchesses so he supposed he couldn’t really talk. If the Queen was a Libertine he might even try his luck, and Nicolette would likely not have to worry about her future ever again if she became a Mistress to the King. Not that Cat would likely appreciate the competition.

He gave the following words more thought. In truth he was all for anything that made Nicolette’s life easier. “He wilnae ken whit haes hit him.” He observed in amused tones, if the King was as interested as she claimed. Nicci had that way with people. “D’ye ken weel the King’s tastes, tae clinch yer seduction?”*** Asked a man of His Majesty’s elite guard. Douglas had made some observation of the King’s tendencies.

Subtitles

* “We shall have to see what we can find. Do you think we’ll get into trouble for raising the King’s larder?”

** “And how we choose to face them.”

*** “He won’t know what has hit him. Do you know well the King’s tastes, to clinch your seduction?”

"Trouble? Oh no." she assured him with all conviction borne of her common roots, "Nobles and Kings too, love to be known for their excess in hospitality - as long as we claim the provisions are excessive and scandalously outlandish, we shall be welcome tourists of his pantry."

“Mmm." a nod. "and how we face them." She gave a smile to her lifeguard, a squeeze of his arm. She hoped they found what they were looking for soon, even if she was pretending not to know what 'it' was. She licked her lips, in readiness.

If Douglas took a surprised pause at her revelation, he was quick to then conceal it. Nicolette for her part hid her nerves beneath bluster, counting on the power of positive belief to help her barrel on through. "Whitehall shall not know what hit it.” she added with a chuckle.

She was not shy of enlisting supporters, and did not intend to skint when (if) she ever came to a favor-bestowing power. Though Doug's question then came from a different angle, at least she saw it differently. "Not much at all." she replied to the tall scott, her pace slowing, her fingers sliding a little lower down his wrist. "but I am earnest in taking lessons?" Lessons from Douglas would have to be very pleasant.

Douglas grinned at Nicolette’s assurance. She had a keen grasp of the noble mindset and psychology – and how to manipulate it. It was something he admired in her, and envied a little. He understood how to appeal to the mindset of many ladies – not all, as he had discovered – but it didn’t have the same effect.

It was that confidence, that self-assurance, and that winsome nature that helped her barrel through and claim whatever it was she set her sights on. He echoed her chuckle as she declared that court itself was in for a surprise. “Dinnae doobt it.”* He agreed in tones of amusement.

She’d make a fabulous mistress, if that was her goal. He certainly believed so. And if he gave pause at the concept, it was only out of jealousy. The King had so many women, and more for the asking, leaving other men wanting. It wasn’t fair, but then life wasn’t, and goodness knew that if anyone could make the best of that sort of situation it was Nicci. As his friend he should do what he could to help her.

Not entirely innocent. Douglas mused, as soft fingers stole under the edge of his lace cuff to tickle the skin on his wrist. He smiled down at her and placed his other hand over hers, running his thumb lightly over her fingers.

He didn’t know what other help, if any, she’d enlisted in her aims. “Diff’rent folk kin tell ye diff’rent thin’s.” He said quietly. “I kin tell ye some o’ whit I hae observed, an’ some o’ whit I ken frae Cat.” He offered. “But tell me one thin’. Whit weel ye do, efter ye hae seduced the King?” He asked, not doubting that she could do it. “Weel ye become his Mistress?”**

Had she planned her future out, thought beyond the seduction? What she planned might change how she went about things. Before them the doors opened onto the Banquetting Hall. There were a few servants about, and the air was rich with the scents of sweet seasonal treats. Douglas gave Nicolette an anticipatory look; they’d found something at any rate.

Subtitles

* “Don’t doubt it.”

** “Different people can tell you different things. I can tell you some of what I have observed, and some of what I know from Cat. But tell me one thing. What will you do, after you have seduced the King? Weel ye become his Mistress?”

While she'd remained on the periphery of court at Versailles, on account of her circumstance, on account of being Huguenot, being little more than a pretty nobody - Nicolette had observed. She'd never thought at the time that her observations would become useful in a new life abroad. She did understand the rules of court well though, so perhaps that would help her with the flexing of them?

Douglas chuckled of her Louis-esqe claim, and she grinned too of it's pleasantness. Time would tell. "I have tried to meet her many times now, written notes, and tried to approach. But fates conspire against it. It is her babies that takes her attention isn't it, she does not come to London often. Did her babies take her attention from the King also?" she asked of Catriona, who was a woman who'd been a mistress, owned a teashop and was resident in the country, but scant more than that had been told to Nicci of her.

He stilled her fingers - she pouted, chin tilting.

"I hope so. I want him to become obliged to me, so he shall take care of my future, after." Her tone of voice was entirely practical.

She was not terribly aware of the food scents that wafted on the air, but saw a look in his eyes then, the anticipatory look. She dared to look upward at that moment, had he found what they looked for? There above the door was mistletoe.

She hadn’t met Cat, although she’d tried? That was… unusual. Catriona was normally prepared to welcome and mother anyone, but especially lost souls, though Nicci seemed to be finding herself awfully quickly. “Haps we micht hae tae contrive a meetin’ atween the twa o’ ye thain.” He mused, thinking that it really shouldn’t be that hard. “T’haes been the Quin wha haes chased the mistresses frae the Palace.”* He added quietly. And of course the King had humoured her, hoping for an heir. Now Douglas suspected that things were about to return to their merry ways.

Douglas nodded as Nicci explained her intentions. “Guid, ye need tae think o’ more’n one nicht.” He said approvingly. “I hae seen lassies enamoured o’ the King, git thair roll in the Royal hay, an’ then say ‘I’m ruined’ er ‘I’m pregnant, whit do I do noo?’” One lady in particular. “The las’ one the King married off tae some foreign naebody sae she wuidnae hae a bastard.”** It was a sad end for a lovely lady and he didn’t want to see Nicci go the same way. He still wondered what happened to Alexandra, and whether her daughter’s eyes had been brown, or cornflower blue.

He squeezed Nicci’s fingers gently as he spoke, expressing unspoken concern for her future and a desire for her not to end up used and cast away. He didn’t think that she would though, she was smarter than that, which was why he was telling her what he was; so that she would enter into her planned situation prepared.

Douglas’s mind was, as tended to happen, drawn to focus on the smell of food, but as they made to enter the Banquetting Hall, there above the doorway was a little gleam of green, rare in the depths of winter and even more so indoors. “Ah.” The big man smiled. “Thair’s whit we’re luikin’ fer.” He declared with satisfaction. “An’ noo I kin keep my promise tae ye at Brichton.”***

He looked down at Nicci, full lips curved in a soft smile, before touching his free hand to her cheek and leaning down to place a kiss on her lips.

Subtitles

* “Perhaps we might have to contrive a meeting between the two of you then. It has been the Queen who has chased the mistresses from the palace.”

** “Good, you need to think of more than one night. I have seen ladies enamoured of the King, get their roll in the Royal hay, and then say ‘I’m ruined’ or ‘I’m pregnant, what do I do now?’ The last one the King married off to some foreign nobody so she wouldn’t have a bastard.”

*** “Ah. There’s what we’re looking for. And now I can keep my promise to you at Brighton.”

"Chased?" She'd not heard this story before, nor particularly realised it was the case. The Frenchwoman blinked. "La! Then perhaps I best seduce the Queen too. To my favour, I mean." she gave a small laugh.

So Catriona had let herself be chased out? From what Nicolette had worked out about her temperament, that could only mean she'd wanted to leave in any case. The Kings Scottish mistress was not some pushover.

"I think he is charming, do not mistake me." Nicolette expressed, "he has sense of humor, considerate of ladies, and sparkling eyes. He loves to play and is generous. But I do not think myself in a royal romance. It is the sport, the game between ladies and gentlemen, this is what I have with him." She gave a little sigh, "I think I may be immune to that other, the sort of love that makes people do the silliest things." she looked at Douglas, hoping he did not think her any the worse for that truth.

"But anyhow, my dear Lord Dundarg, you may rest assured I've my eyes upon a very tangible reward. It shall not be marriage to some nobody for me, but to one of the Kings favorites, who has a property my heart is set upon, and a title that will keep me warm when I grow old." she grinned, then added with whisper of darkness, "That. And I want revenge of success, to thumb my nose at those who doubt me." her eyes glinted. One day she wanted to see Davina squirm.

That aside, they reached the mistletoe, or banquet hall, depending upon your priorities. In that cheerful-obvious and appealing way of his, Douglas announced the discovery. If he thought Nicolette might be surprised, not so! The little lady was already tipping towards him, throwing her arms around his neck as he bent; and exerted her very best efforts upon his lips. Why, as if she was ravenous, she kissed. As though she might never kiss again, she clung.

It was a dim memory he had provoked, of his promise to kiss her properly one day, she'd thought the day might never really happen. But now, it had, was happening, right now.

Beyond them the scurry of servants rushed about, preparing the hall for that nights ball.

“Dinnae think she went gladly.” Douglas chucked. Cat had chucked a right royal fit about it. But he had counselled her as he would counsel Nicci, should he get the chance. Here was not the place. Still, she seemed to understand the gist of what he would say. “Best nae git the Quin off side.”* He agreed quietly.

Nicci’s slightly evil grin elicited a similar expression from Douglas. A lofty goal with a seasoning of revenge was something that he could relate to. “Than awe power tae ye.” He replied with slow relish. “Yer plan soonds verra sensible, an’ I weel help as I kin.”** He meant that. He wanted to see Nicci succeed. Perhaps they could help each other. He’d certainly benefitted from Royal mistresses before, and he had things he thought it might help her to know.

But right now he had other things on his mind. If Nicci felt she couldn’t really feel the deep, foolish love for a man, Douglas had the opposite problem. He could fall for almost any woman, and regularly did so, often at the same time. It caused him no end of trouble, and even when he new better he found he couldn’t help himself. It would certainly be all too easy to fall for Nicci.

Douglas wasn’t a subtle person; countless people had noted that. Still, if he had been thinking a bit more objectively – or his writer hadn’t been stoned on cold and flu meds – then he would probably have been a bit more playful and a bit less obvious in his approach to the kiss. But the fact was that he really wanted to kiss Nicci – and his writer’s brains were dribbling out her ears – so he simply went for what he wanted. It wasn’t the first time; sometimes it worked and sometimes it backfired.

This time was not one of the latter, as he felt Nicci’s arms curl around him, her lips meet his and demand more, which he gladly gave. Far from a chaste holiday kiss, the big Scotsman curling an arm around her shoulders as he leaned into it, enjoying the soft feel of her in his arms, and it was several moments before he came up for air.

“Weel, I think ye cuid win ony man o’er wi’ jus’ yer kisses.”*** He observed with a smile. She was clearly moving along the right path.

Subtitles

* “Don’t think she went gladly. Best not to get the Queen off side.”

** “Then all power to you. Your plan sounds very sensible, and I will help as I can.”

*** “Well, I think you could win any man over with just your kisses.”

As he revealed Cat had not gone willingly, Nicolette paused, her head tipping with thought. "I would like it if you could help me to meet her, I would like to know more of these things." Leaving the palace was a reduction in her power, why had Cat allowed that to happen if it was not wanted? It made no sense to Nicolette, though from her own perspective she had no desire to become a permanent resident at Whitehall. Her ambitions were other.

His grin, his promise to help as he could, was all that she could have hoped for. "And one day I shall help you." she breathed in response. There were not really that many on her side in this contest, and having his backing meant more than most, for it came out of uncomplicated friendship. Though as friendships at court were prone to do, things got complicated - quickly.

So here she was declaring herself immune to love, then kissing him with a vehemence that might say otherwise - and his lips told her of a yearning quite equal. Stars burst before her eyes, the words spun around, and he was the rock, the anchor she held onto. Till gasping for air, they/she broke apart. Blinking, looking up into his wonderful eyes, panting, and then at his words breaking into laughter. "Then beware Lord Dundarg, for I would prize your heart above most others!" she was caught a little off guard by how his kiss had stirred her. By how he moved her.

Stepping apart, she held his fingers. "But the world does not need another love story, another heart-break waiting to happen. Brace yourself, resist me. But. But as long as we are stood neath the mistletoe, perhaps we should try another?"

Douglas laughed with a mixture of surprise and delight at Nicci’s sassy reply. She admitted a certain depth of feeling that her kiss had suggested, and which he matched in full force. The way she looked up at him made his breath catch in his throat. Yet she was right, the world didn’t need another set of hopeless, star-crossed lovers. He’d walked that path with Heather and it had ended badly, he didn’t wish to repeat himself with Nicci. “Haps we kin serve each other as training fer the heert; learn tae keep oor feelin’s in check.” He said quietly. Goodness knew he needed that training. “Fer t’wuid be awfu’ easy nae tae.”* He admitted, voice a low rumble.

At her suggestion he looked up again at the mistletoe, as though he had forgotten it was there. “I think this sprig is entirely unimpressive an’ lackin’.” He opined. “We shuid keep searchin’ fer a better one.”** He added, mischief sparkling in his blue eyes, as his fingers curled about hers, holding her hand.

So saying he stepped out into the Banquetting hall, intending to cross to the other side. On the way he paused to pilfer two lemon tarts from a servant’s tray, earning him a sour look but no word from the woman. “Supplies fer oor venture.” He explained to Nicci with a wink. “Thou’ fer the best cakes ye want my sister’s shop.” He added, having thought about it before. “I will find oot which days she’s spendin’ thair, an’ invite ye tae join me fer tea.”*** That way Nicci could meet Cat under the pretence of an outing with her brother.

Subtitles

* “Perhaps we can serve each other as training for the heart; learn to keep our feelings in check. For it would be awfully easy not to.”

** “I think this sprig is entirely unimpressive and lacking. We should keep searching for a better one.”

*** “Supplies for our venture. Though for the best cakes you want my sister’s shop. I will find out which days she’s spending there, and invite you to join me for tea.”

Nicolette enjoyed his laughter. Though she would tell herself that she did not need the sort of training he suggested, she readily agreed to the course on account that it would mean spending more time together. "Well now you are just teasing me." she grinned, charmed that he was charmed. "In a different world..." in a different time and place she might leap boots and all in with Douglas. But here, that would do neither of this ambitious pair any good. "La! But that does stop us from lighting our own fires does it?" she crooned.

Like a snowball tumbling down mountainside, Nicolette plans quickly grew. Perhaps Doug's were too, as he was quick to declare the current mistletoe inadequate. Inadequate for what? (she might have asked but did not). Instead she loosed a cheerful laugh and stole a petite jug of cream to take with them...

"The Duchess Ablemarle even agrees on that. I gave her a chocolate cake from Lady Aylths' shop, and she was caught in raptures of it." catching hold of Douglas's arm she followed along where he directed, "The Teashop has private rooms there also, perhaps we shall take one of those, so we may talk in private." It seemed prudent to suggest that, "with my goal, and her past, discretion would be sensible."

Ah dear. Douglas smiled but there was a touch of sadness in it. “Wha’s teasin’ wha?” He returned, rhetorical question. And was it truly teasing, or toying with temptation? It would be so deliciously easy to give in to it, and so unproductive for both of them. That at least was something he had learned. “Aye, in a diff’rent world.” He agreed; that he could drink to. At least they could acknowledge the mutual attraction. Somehow it made it easier, knowing that they could if they chose to. “But lets see whit we can accomplish in this ain.”* He added, the sadness leaving his smile as he waggled his eyebrows mischieviously.

Loot in hand, the two pushed on through the Banquetting Hall and out the other side, into the Portrait Gallery.

Portrait Gallery

The long hallway connecting the Banqueting House and the Great Hall is decked out in portraits, landscapes and sculptures from all the past masters. Stools dot the hallway, as well as a fireplace or two, to warm it in the winter months. Also scattered about are small nooks that lend an air of privacy in the open corridor, especially at night.

Now they had a plan of attack. “I cannae promise Cat weel do ony more thain tell ye nae tae do’t.” Douglas warned Nicci. “But at least ye weel hae met her.” That much he could do. Whether a mistress would welcome another to the same man, he had his doubts. “Haps if ye dinnae tell her yer aimin’ fer the King.”** He suggested. If Cat thought Nicci wanted to become mistress to someone else, might she be more forthcoming? Then again, she hadn’t exactly graced the King’s bed much recently.

Subtitles

* “Who’s teasing whom? Yes, in a different world. But lets see what we can accomplish in this one.”

** “I can’t promise Cat will do any more than tell you not to do it. But at least you will have met her. Perhaps if you don’t tell her you’re aiming for the King.”

Nicolette faltered at that, not so much his reply but the mixed tone of it. She felt a little guilty to be less than plain with the man who spoke of life simply clearly, and whom she thought more of for his doing do. He seemed suddenly more distant, which would never do. "I am sorry, Lord Dundarg." she murmured.

The little plan in her mind grew stronger, that surely when her fate was steadier, she, they, might become lovers. And before that, confidantes, in a trial run they begun with the talk of arranging to meet Catriona.

Through the Banquet hall, and out the other side, to the Portrait gallery.

"Which would be the same advice that Nell gave me." she replied with a little shrug.

"Why do you think I should not tell her my goal? It shall not affect her, if anything, the King might like to know her option of me? I wish for her to like me, to recommend me to his bed, a month, a season perhaps. Are not the mistresses become like sisters, yes some might fight, but surely the King wish them to exist together happily. This is why I wanted to meet Nell, so that she would realise that I am not a danger to her. I wish to be one part, not to take dominion. And if it is not me the King takes in, it shall be some other. Perhaps someone less agreeable. I am very good at being agreeable. The royal household shall barely ripple... or at least not at first." Nicolette gaze slid back to Douglas, with an impish raise of eyebrow.

Why was she sorry? That was how the world worked. He’d learned that a long time ago, come to court knowing that. It was only here in this world completely removed from reality that he had begun to hope for more than the kick in the teeth the world thought he was due. Not that those hopes had been entirely misplaced; he’d done incredibly well for himself really. But there was always the hope for more. No, it was a simple reminder of reality. That didn’t mean that he couldn’t be Nicci’s friend, and help her as could. As he was for Sophia, and for Heather.

For the moment the Portrait Gallery was deserted, and Douglas laid claim to a nook next to the fireplace, a cosy hide-away where they could relax and speak for the moment. Nicolette’s revelation that Nell had advised her similarly drew an interested raise of dark brows from Douglas.

“Luik at it this wa’.” He said quietly, without any rancour. “The King haes ainly sae much attention tae gie. Sae ony mistresses er in competition wi’ each other fer his affection.” He reached down and a small knife appeared in his hand. “Fer practical lassies like Nell, tisnae such a big concern, but fer the more romantically inclined, weel, they git jealous.”* He tried to put the line of thought into words, gaze focused on his big hands as the little knife carefully cutting one of the lemon tarts into bite-sized quarters.

He wondered how much he should say. Then again, he didn’t even know whether Cat intended to return to the King’s bed. “In the lead-up tae the Weddin’, the Weepin’ Willow haed tae be dragged frae the King’s presence, cryin’ an’ screamin’.” He revealed quietly. He’d been one of those who’d had to do it. “Tis why he shipped her off tae Chelsea first. She ne’er liked tae share, an’ thocht she shuid be Quin.”** Not a practical woman that one, but one genuinely in love with the King. Douglas had wondered whether that genuine devotion was why His Majesty put up with her for so long.

Dipping a bite of lemon tart into the dish of cream cheese dip in Nicci’s grasp, he held the morsel up for her to bite.

Subtitles

* “Look at it this way. The King has only so much attention to give. So any mistresses are in competition with each other for his affection. For practical ladies like Nell, it isn’t such a big concern, but for the more romantically inclined, well, they get jealous.”

** “In the lead-up to the Wedding, the Weeping Willow had to be dragged from the King’s presence, crying and screaming. It’s why he shipped her off to Chelsea first. She never liked to share, and thought she should be Queen.”

So she listened to his tale. The upshot being; "You expect your sister to be jealous..." Cat had not left willingly either, though there was no follow-up tale of a scottish screaming match, it was implied.

As blunt as Douglas could be, he'd told her this story in a round about fashion. By doing so he'd been able to to privide more background story to the styles and lives within the royal household. Jealousy was a part of life for any female, but learning how the King of England dealt with it was not. It seemed as though he was somewhat under his new wife's thumb... but then all gentlemen moved more than they realised to feminine bidding.

Nicolette nodded, revising her plans. "I would still like to meet Lady Aylth some day, but I shall let you make the call of when to reveal to her my plans. But for now, perhaps your assistance would be better served for both of our purposes, if you were to establish yourself as Her Majesties guard. There must be rosters for such things that can be... swapped about within the guards." Nicolette held his gaze, opening her mouth to receive the morstel, chewing slowly then to swallow. It was a queer thing to be fed like a babe, she watched his face, wondering if he found a pleasure from it?

"Her Majesties power over court shall grow with the girth of her belly... and so shall the influence of those around her." she reached to take up a quarter, and dipping it to deep in the dish of cream (deliberately), she lifted it to his lips - then lingered with white tipped finger, intent for him to lick it clean.

"I'm nae sure." He admitted. He'd probably said more than he should but he worried that Nicci's blithe manner might get her into trouble. Then again, she seemed to charm all that she met so perhaps not. "I think yer doin' the richt thin' by speakin' wi' th'other mistresses; aw I'm sayin' is dinnae 'spect aw o' thaim tae welcome ye."* He clarified. Caution.

"The thin' is, His Majesty doesnae like conflict er angst in his hoosehawld. Sae ye want tae git on wi' t'others. He likes awthin' tae be calm an' peacefu'."** Probably because it was the only place he could get any calm or peace. Any woman upsetting that wouldn't last long. Except Fubs. Douglas wasn't sure how she got away with it.

There was something sensual about feeding someone and being fed, or at least a lot of people seemed to think so. Douglas obligingly licked the lemon custard from Nicci's finger after taking the offered morsel. He was sure it tasted better from her hand.

"Her Majesty's Life Guards er the Second Troop; tha's Major Whit'hurst's command." Douglas observed thoughtfully, though as the Colonel's Aide - he still wasn't quite sure what that meant - he didn't doubt he could get himself onto the guard. Her Majesty had stipulated that no one who had been the previous Queen's guards should be hers. "I weel luik intae't."*** His Majesty had expressed no particular fondness for him, even when he'd tried to express his support, but perhaps that could change. The wheels of thought were visibly turning.

His thoughts returned to more certain ground. "Make friends wi' Cat first, thain tell her yer plans. Ye wuid judge yer timin' better than I, jus' dinnae wait tae lang."+ He opined. The Sisterhood was a mysterious force to Douglas, the source of both great strength and great detriment.

Subtitles

* "I'm not sure. I think you're doing the right thing by speaking with the other mistresses; all I'm saying is don't expect all of them to welcome you."

** "The thing is, His Majesty doesn't like conflict or angst in his household. So you want to get on with the others. He likes everything to be calm and peaceful."

*** "Her Majesty's Life Guards are the Second Troop; that's Major Whitehurst's command. I will look into it."

+ "Make friends with Cat first, then tell her your plans. You would judge your timing better than I, just don't wait too long."

""You mean your sister specifically." she clarified. Nell for instance, whom Nicolette had estimated might be won over, had been quite nice considering. They were even planning to go to the baths some time together.

Her eyes were upon his lips as he licked away the cream... it did not quite make sense, but she supposed it was not that different to playing with a feather. These things men and women did, these things written about in Heather's book.

She selected another piece, and after a dip lifted it for Doug to eat, her free hand cupping to catch the cream drips.

"He is sweet on one of her Ladies... perhaps too distracted to think of the opportunity. If a man made himself indispensable... her protection might be more long lasting than the Kings." she supposed. "And you are very charming, my dear Captain, she shall love you quickly I am sure."

And if he was settled near the queens side, if the Queen ever bitched about Nicolette, he might be the soothing voice to recommend moderation. Nicolette did not want to be chased out of Whitehall prematurely.

"Are you sure?" he seemed to have reconsidered his earlier advice. "I think you were right, she's never wanted to meet me before after all, and if she's like Louise." Nicolette had told Nell she was not interested in meeting Louise. If Cat was like Louise, then. "Then perhaps it's for the best."

“As I sayed, I’m nae sure.” Douglas reaffirmed. “She’s her ain wuman, an’ hard tae predict at times.”* Sometimes Cat flew off the handle over the littlest things – like muddy boot prints on the carpet – and other times she could be disturbingly, aggressively reasonable. Even Douglas found himself hard put to predict her.

Accepting another morsel from her fingers, Douglas surrepticiously kissed her hand as she cupped his chin to catch any drips. He said that he would help her, and these little games were one of the many weapons in the arsenal of the would-be seductor, or seductress.

Too distracted; yes, that was Whitehurst. Lighting Langdon was too busy with the London Regiment and chasing skirts. Half his luck. Still, she made a valid point. Douglas didn’t think nearly so high of his chances of securing the Queen’s favour, but Nicci moved successfully in so many circles and if she thought he could do it, perhaps he’d do best to listen to her. There might be more of a chance than he gave credit for.

“Flatterer.” He accused with an amused smile, offering her a morsel of lemon tart in turn, wiping a supposed dribble of cream from her lip with a gentle thumb. “But if ye think I kin do’t, I weel gie’t a try.” ** It meant a lot to have her faith in him. And perhaps she was right. After all, the Queen was a stranger in a strange land with only a small household around her; perhaps the steady presence of a Life Guard she could rely on would mean something.

Was he sure about Cat? No. That was the problem. He considered the question more carefully, full lips forming a moue of consideration. “I’ll invite ye tae the tea shop an’ intraeduce ye.” He decided. “Thain I weel see if I kin soond oot her thochts on the subject, an’ let ye ken whit she says. Thain ye kin approach her yersel’ if ye want. Hoo daes that soond?”*** Cat would be freer with her thoughts with him, and for all he knew she might fully support Nicci. And if not, Nicci wouldn’t have to bear the brunt of her anger.

“Yer turn tae offer advice.” He said suddenly. “Hou daes a man best persuade a lairdy – nearly alain in a foreign country – tae trust him; ‘specially whin she michtnae be naturally drawn tae do sae.”+ He asked. He was, of course, talking about the Queen.

Subtitles

* “As I said, I’m not sure. She’s her own woman, and hard to predict at times.”

** “Flatterer. But if you think I can do it, I will give it a try.”

*** “I’ll invite you to the tea shop and introduce you. Then I will see if I can sound out her thoughts on the subject, and let you know what she says. Then you can approach her yourself if you want. How does that sound?”

+ “Your turn to offer advice. How does a man best persuade a lady – nearly alone in a foreign country – to trust him; especially when she mightn’t be naturally drawn to do so.”

"You make me nervous of her." Nicolette admitted then, as they continued talk, at times pressing forwards points of view, at other times receding in accepting the others point of view. She gave a small smile, and supposed, "Perhaps take it quietly at first then. It used to be I wanted to talk to her about providing herbal teas to her shop, perhaps this is how we begin."

His kiss to her fingers caught her by surprise, she giggled, delighted. "You are as playful as a kitten!" She wondered what playful thing she might do in return?

"Don't underestimate your charm." she replied. She'd not been flattering him actually, but understood very well the secret whispers in the mind that had him say that, "Believe in yourself, and quite anything may be possible." She hoped this was true for herself at least, if she could shake free of of self doubt.

She took another bite, was there a drip? With thumb he wiped it, and on a impulse she captured that buff digit between her lips and mouthed it clean. Her cheeks pinked... it reminded her of one of the pages in Heathers book.

Yet back to Cat, it was a precarious topic. "The thing I try to say is if it is not me, it shall be another in the Kings arms. I can be the devil they know, I shall work with them, better that than the devil they do not. Mmm... at least this is the way I used with Nell, and Nell... well she advised against it. She imagined I might have better options. But she did not seem set against me. And I think, when she thinks of it more, she might see the wisdom."

"Listen to her." Nicolette's reply to his question was easily made. "When you are a woman, and especially when foreign, people think you have no experience, they lecture us like a child. But every life has wisdom, her wisdom from her home may be different, but valuable still. Maybe more valuable for it is unique. Ah, but you do this already Mon Capitaine, part of your charm is this thing."

Archived