JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Nativity scene; 25th morning [open]- Xmas 1677

"I weel arrange th'intraeduction." He promised. "Thain ye kin work yer magic on her."* And Douglas didn't doubt that Nicci would. She seemed able to charm anyone, perhaps she could charm Cat? certainly he was at a loss as to how the meeting would go, but it would be interesting to watch. He suspected where he could assist was from the sidelines, things whispered in both women's ears.

Her giggle warmed his heart. Sometimes it was fun to simply be playful, even if his play was never strictly innocent. And she was so very kind in her estimation of him. Believe in yourself. Was that Nicci's secret? Was that the source of her confidence? Douglas had a veneer of brash overconfidence, but it hid a knawing core of self-doubt. Why wouldn't it, when all his life he'd been told that he was worth less than others because of his origins? But I'm not. I'm as good as any man. Perhaps his very need to prove that was his undoing. There was nothing to prove when you knew it for truth. Perhaps that explained Nicci's ability to move smoothly in any circle; she knew her own high worth.

"Is that hou't works?" He asked quietly, a small smile playing at his lips. "Is that hou ye win o'er aw ye meet?" Her blush was sweet as she licked his thumb and he reached up to trail a finger down her cheek. "Ye ken yer ain worth, which is verra high."** He would vouch for that. He only hoped that she wouldn't sell herself short.

Certainly high enough that he valued her advice above most. Still, her response surprised him. It was perhaps an odd trait that Douglas listened to women. They fascinated him, enthralled him, and he hung on their words. Many men dismissed women, he knew; perhaps he might not rate all their words as highly, but how did you know if you did not listen?

"Thairs wisdom in those words." He smiled. Perhaps he would do better in life if he listened more and said less. He had a bad case of foot-in-mouth disease. "Whit kin I gie ye, as thanks fer such wisdom?"*** He asked, although he'd promised the introduction, that was easy. What else could he do for Nicolette? He was hardly immune to her charm, rather was quite under her spell.

Subtitles

* "I will arrange the introduction. Then you can work you magic on her."

** "Is that how it works? Is that how you win over all you meet? You know your own worth, which is very high."

*** "There's wisdom in those words. What can I give you, as thanks for such wisdom?"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'd introduce her to Cat. "Say you won't leave me alone with her too soon." she asked, not so sure that she could befriend the Countess. Catriona stuck her as aloof, and so she might need as much help as possible to endear herself to her.

The advice she gave was honestly believed, yet who could know if it would prove helpful to another, the lives of men and women are very different. Still, it was very nice to have been asked, it reminded her of the time Louis had asked her opinion of something, and how she'd suddenly felt like her life had a meaning.

Her eyes slipped closed, enjoying his touch on her cheek. As she reopened her eyes she saw his, watching, and she blushed further, even though she wished not to. She really wanted to be one of those brazen, confident and untouchable women. Women like Buckingham admired so much. But here she was feeling 16 again, and wanting a place in his heart.

"I cant really know." she replied quietly, "but I hope it is so. If she can see you as I see you, then she would want you always near."

She was seriously saying too much, and likely to complicate her life even more.

Lips tugged into a grin as he wanted to know what to get her. He was not to know, but he'd already given her the most presents that any gentleman had ever given her. It was some sort of urge he had, and not done for his own gain, she was certain. She paused for a moment thinking. Oh there were many pretty things she''d seen in shops this christmas season, but what she wanted more was his time. "Take me on a picnic. Lets picnic high again, we can dress warm, it will be alright, and look at the stars together. Can we, Lord Dundarg?"

"I'll be wi' ye."* He assured Nicci, he wouldn't leave her to Cat's whims alone, at least not on the first meeting. Not that he thought she would need a lot of help. But then his sister could be both mercurial and confusing at times, and Nicci had more to lose in the encounter than Douglas who could yell at Cat with impugnity because he was family.

She was a sweet young lady, and it was a shame that she needed to take the road she chose, but at least she did it willingly, and with full determination. If anyone could make the most of being a mistress, Nicci could. Alas but if he could have rendered things such that she did not need to.

The great affection with which she held him was mutual. If the Queen came to see him as Nicci did, then he might find himself a great patron indeed. It was a very large if, however. He suspected that the Queen would be rather more circumspect, but then he wasn't interested in her romantically. Could he present himself as someone reliable? Time would tell.

The request brought a broad grin to Douglas's features. He was genuinely fond of Nicci and liked to give her things purely because it made her happy. A happy lady was a joy to be around. "Absolutely." He agreed. "Leave't wi' me, I weel see tae't."** He promised, already planning in his head. Somewhere high where they could watch the stars...

Subtitles

* "I'll be with you."

** "Absolutely. Leave it with me, I will see to it."

Nicolette bit her lip in pleased smile, doubly pleased for she fully intended, as soon as possible, to have a fuller grasp of a number of things she fancied trying with Douglas. Surely he was aware of the possibilities between them, they had flirted around an attraction for so long now, a crescendo would surely come. Or so she hoped.

"It's going to be a memorable season." she squeezed his fingers, and then remembering something, turned his hand over and looked at his scar there.

He'd injured his hand, nearly fallen to his death while gathering Samphire for her last May. It had healed well. Moving her finger across the discolouration softly, she then looked back to his face, "Life leaves her marks on us, some might say you would be better to keep less adventurous company?" she was teasing him now, playing really.

A memorable season. He hoped so, and in a good way. There were a lot of things it could be memorable for, but the King had expressed a desire for a merry season, and it seemed that court was all too happy to oblige. "Fer aw guid reasons."* He added as she squeezed his fingers; fervent prayer.

She turned his big hand over, examining amongst the callouses and other marks the faint line where he had cut his hand open, scaling the cliffs of Brighton. He chuckled at her suggestion. "Noo whaur wuid be the fun in that?"** He replied. Douglas wore more than his fare share of scars, testament to his often reckless nature.

No, he wasn't the kind to shy away from risk. "We arenae s'posed tae be buried in mint condition."*** He opined. No, in his book you were supposed to come screaming in on two smoking tyres, held together with spit and gaffer tape; and you might as well because you couldn't take it with you.

"Scars er less easy tae lose than a charm bracelet."+ He said with a cheeky smile, trailing a finger along the sensitive skin on the underside of her wrist. His scars were his adventuring marks, and there were plenty more for her to discover. A man with no scars had done nothing, in Douglas's opinion.

One could of course offer the opinion that an unscarred man might have done things and gotten away with them. Alas but they'd found no more mistletoe.

Subtitles

* "For all good reasons."

** "Now where would be the fun in that?"

*** "You aren't supposed to be buried in mind condition."

+ "Scars are less easy to lose than a charm bracelet."

She grinned of his reply, enjoying the allusion that she was the danger he'd take risk for. "But I shall try mend you, to keep you from the hole as long as I breathe." She didn't really want him to take physical risks, just to talk about it was enough really. Alas, this was one man who habitually risked his neck... she'd be wiser to be advocating caution right now.

"My charm bracelet." her hand went to her own wrist then, she'd forgot to put it on today. Remembrance had her blink with brief regret, but just as quickly she grinned again, "I shall wear it tomorrow, and the next day and the next. I am so glad you have arrived in time for all the fun."

"I shall look for you at the ball tonight." she arose, the morning pressed on, and she had plans, though she lingered a little longer, holding his hand, enjoying the feeling of being with a dear friend.

Now there was somewhere Nicci might really help him, in a way no other could. If she could mend his wounds better than a battlefield surgeon, he might not wear future scars so obviously. It was a precious promise.

As for her charm bracelet, it was a reminder that there should be more adventures, though he knew she didn't meant it that way. He wanted to provide opportunities for the ladies to earn more charms, to revel in the freedom and fun he could provide them.

"Sae am I." He agreed, on the subject of being in time for the fun. For a while, hip-deep in snow drifts, he'd feared he'd not make it, and spend the season snowed-in in an Inn somewhere. "Thair er few pleasures like the comp'ny o' thaim we hauld dear."* He assured her.

Alas but they couldn't spend all day in each others' company. Particularly if she wanted to catch the King's attention. He didn't fancy other men's leavings. "Yer'll see me thair." He promised, catching her hand and bringing it to his lips. "Haps yer'll save me a dance, if ye hae one tae spare."** Though it was quite likely that Nicci already had her dance card full, or dastardly plans to fill it; he silently wished her the best of luck.

Subtitles

* "So am I. There are few pleasures like the company of those we hold dear."

** "You'll see me there. Perhaps you'll save me a dance, if you have one to spare."

OOC: Thanks for a fun thread!

"I shall!" she promised, pressing an impulsive kiss to his knuckles in echo of his more proper kiss of hand. With a carefree smile and light of heart she carried on, with one spot on her dance card now filled.

Though as the Lifeguard well knew, life had it's way of happening, catching one up on it's whirlwind. Plots, Plans, Ambitions tangled with enthusiasm, laughter and sometimes a few tears - it was all the stuff that made for memorable lives. Like Douglas said, people were not meant to return the the earth without bearing the marks of a few adventures.

OOC: & Fin!

*squeeze*

And thank you for joining it!

Archived