JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

How Does The garden Grow, Saturday Am {open}

EASTERN TERRACE GARDEN

Unlike the Northern Terrace, the enclosure known as the Eastern Terrace was not merely an expanse of stone. It was instead a more gentle garden, with the familiar geometric shapes in almost perfect symmetry that allowed for a protected stroll without getting lost. Its structure was reassuring and quite different from the wild park beyond the walls of the Castle proper. With its lush greens and neatly trimmed edges and hardly a flower in sight it was perhaps most suited for those in need of contemplation.

The terrace was enclosed by a half way wall, inviting people to lean across it while enjoying the farther view over the Little Park.

Prince Rupert had never actually issued any kind of decree or even a list of what would please him, meaning The King, so she was operating somewhat blind.

She knew embroidery and the way of planning with threads and beads and such so this had been a challenge. But once she had looked at it as if she were sewing things had become easier.

She had devised a 'plan' and together with the head gardener's and their apprentices and those who actually toiled the soil and things would soon reach a conclusion at least on her part.

She had consulted books and looked at plans and took in advice and now she could begin to see how things progressed. This garden in its original form had been all green. She had added ornamental Quince trees in pots along the inside of the half-wall. Their pink flowers would bear a hard aromatic bright golden-yellow fruit that could be eaten or used for medicinal purposes. They would all soon have fruit that would last thru September and their scent would be pleasing to those that came here.

September was a transition month as Fall would come soon followed by Winter and she knew that few here now would bear witness to what would grow and sprout and thrive.

Now walking slowing with the mist that still hung over much of Windsor she was well-pleased. She liked this time the best for it was quiet and most did not come here until later if at all. 

Poppies of all colors had begun to flower and she had used the spaces around the walkways to show them to best advantage. All the roses had been pruned or cut to come in October along with Violets, Musk rose, Sweetbriar, and Wall-flowers - which she had purposely set under those lower chamber windows that bordered some areas of this garden. Once bloomed the scents would be most pleasing! The flowers of the lime-tree would bloom with their strong, sweet, honey-like scent that attract bees - this chosen especially as bees in ones garden were considered good luck and if one told them your troubles they would all fly away as the bees fly. Fragrant lavender in pots set about also scented the air. It was not an overly large space so there was no need to plant all the other things that would bloom between now and Christmas and then thru to March.

Drawing her wool shawl a bit closer she pushed at the loose strands of hair as she bent down to cut lavender which she had been adding to the small basket that sat on the ground next to her. When she had first come here she was not happy but now she realized that once returned to London she would long to be back here. How funny was Life. She was also here alone for another purpose - so far she had not been approached by anyone. She had nothing in which to wear a red scarf that she could pass on information about.  Was it because their last plans had failed or were they simply biding their time ready to pounce like a cat on a mouse?

Thinking about the day before when she had the exchange with Lady Chichester and Lady Toledo and the mystery box and then to the Yacht Race and meeting Anne Elizabeth and the Earl who had disrupted her plans to not attend the Masque but remain alone before her fire and a good bottle of wine. Lady Chichester was something unexpected. She had thought that George would marry someone who looked up at him in adoration and would do everything he told her to do. After her meeting she knew that was not true at all. He will be in for an unusual marriage but she still wished him all the Happiness for his future and married life. At the races there had been no sign of the Duchess or Lady Oakham. Perhaps they suffered still the after-effects or were just too scared to go out?

She also begun to think ahead - with only a few months till year's end what would the New Year bring for her? 

Would she still be prisoner to her reckless actions that haunted her still?

Would she even be able to restore her Name thru the help of Buckingham - if he had told her the Truth that is - but even so she would always be a pawn unless she somehow managed to break free.

She hummed some wordless tune as she continued with her cuttings   .........

There was a crunch of boot soles upon the crushed rock of the pathway leading to the garden.  It was not the sound of gardeners approaching; but, instead, someone more important.

As Davina might glance in the direction of the stranger, she would see the familiar form of her cousin Henry Howard, wearing a scarlet coat and dove grey breeches.    "Cousin?  It is you," he greeted, seemingly undeterred by her last outrage.  "I thought the form looked familiar."  He moved up beside her.  "What mischief is afoot? Why are you collecting flower cuttings?  You have your servant to do that surely." 

The mist was lifting at last, and having left the Orangery in favour of morning tea lest she disturb a private conversation, Eleanor headed outside proper in search of good sewing light and a pleasant space to work on her project. Her wanderings led her to the Eastern Terrace Garden, which she had yet to explore. Alas but no garden looked it's best in autumn, even if it was yet early, but she paused to admire the flowers that were in bloom, and take a deep breath of the scents that floated on the air. They were a heady mix, and Eleanor wondered whether the garden had been specifically designed with the scent of it's plants in mind. 

Potted trees bore pretty pink flowers, and Eleanor drifted over to admire them, recognising them as she drew closer. "Look Mary, quince!" She declared delightedly to her chaperone. 

Mary glanced at the trees and nodded, then gestured silently to indicate to her charge that she could hear people talking further along the path. Depending on which direction she faced, Eleanor might not necessarily hear them. She nodded gratefully to Mary and hoped that they were not about to encounter another private conversation. Didn't people have those indoors?

"That lavender smells divine." She commented as they walked, so that any others would be aware of their presence, but did not seek to intrude by inserting herself into another's company uninvited. Perhaps they might be interested in acquaintance, or perhaps they might simply all enjoy the garden. When I have my own garden, there will be many scented plants. She decided.

She heard the arrival before a voice even announced it. A man no doubt by the weight of their walk.

For a moment her heart did a quick rush thinking that it might be someone seeking her out here on purpose.

So it was a bit of a surprise to see who it was.

"Good morning Henry ...."

She cast her blue-eyed gaze over his person.

"Getting up or just coming in?"

"Mischief  ...... Hardly. Simply enjoying the results of all my labors and worries."

"And I am busy with Lavender as I have plans for its usage and I enjoy it."

"So why are you here of all places?"

The direct question finally asked as she continued on with her clippings.

"Hard night," he replied. "Much on my mind, so I rose early and thought a walk in the garden might clear my mind."

It seemed odd to him that Davina was becoming something of a gardener.  He had no desire for physical laabor in the gardens.  That was more appropriate for a servant. He considered how to carry on from their last tumultuous conversation, and he looked about to see who might be watching or listening.

As if on cue, Eleanor nd her maid appeared to be out for a stroll.  Wasit a simple stroll, or one of Spencer's spies?  The best way to handle such things was head-on.

"Good day," he greeted the new arrival, drawing her into the conversation.  "Miss Wellsley and I were just conversing.  Perhaps you will join us? I am Henry Howard, son of the Viscount Stafford."

"Ahhhhh ....."

She said in understanding.

"Yes there are times when a quiet stroll does clear the mind. I hope it does for you."

She did not ask what was troubling. 

It was then that they were joined by another and he offered his own introductions for them both.

She did not recognize this person nor her maid yet she offered a smile in greeting.

There was nothing she could do after all for this space was not a prohibited one.

But she did pause to wonder why her cousin had opened them up to an intrusion.

Eleanor continued to wander along the path admiring the plants, her maid Mary following behind and carrying her sewing basket. There were indeed two other people in the garden, a man and a young woman, and to her surprise the gentleman, who was unknown to her, addressed her directly. 

Schooled in good manners, Eleanor smiled pleasantly at the invitation to join them and dropped into a respectful curtsey to the pait. "That's terribly kind of you." She said. "I am Eleanor Bayning, daughter of Viscount Bayning. It's a pleasure to meet you Master Howard, Miss Wellsley." She said politely but genuinely. She hadn't had the opportunity to meet many people yet; at least her plan of being in public places in order to remedy that seemed to have paid off. 

"I do hope that I am not interrupting you." She said earnestly. "I was just admiring the gardens and looking for a place to sew. Aren't the quinces pretty?"

As she spoke she flicked her sandlewood fan delicately and observed the pair discretely from behind it, eyes widening as she noticed that Miss Wellsley appeared to have been cutting lavender from the King's gardens! She didn't look like a gardener; perhaps she had special privileges?

Henry gave a friendly nod to the stranger as she introduced herself.  His mind was thinking how convenient it was that Eleanor just happened along when he arrived.  Was she one of Sunderland's creatures?  If they sent her on her way, the lady would likely start sewing at a listening distance.  It was a perfect cover for a spy, and he knew that Davina was being watched.

Best to play along and withdraw he thought to himself.  "A pleasure to make your acquaintance.  I was just strolling through the gardens when I encountered Miss Wellsley.  She seems quite eager to do some gardening this morning. I would offer my aid, but I have little skill for it.  Are you skilled at gardening by chance?" he asked Eleanor, mostly to judge if there was anything curious about her conduct.

"Do not listen to him Mistress Bayning. My cousin has missed the mark."

She smiled across to the younger girl.

"Prince Rupert has tasked me in some re-design of this space and so here I am admiring the results."

"I am no 'gardener' but I am quite skilled in needlework and so I simply looked at this space as a canvas and thus it was much easier."

"It is complete now and I hope that those that come here shall find it pleasing."

"You have already made notice of the Quince and Lavender."

"And I too am appreciative of it and so have made some cuttings for future uses."

She spared a glance at her cousin then - was he suspicious of this young woman - and if so Why?

Now that she was a little closer and facing the other two she could see that the other lady was a few years her senior. No doubt she was far more experienced at court than Eleanor. Henry seemed quite friendly, though Eleanor felt that perhaps she was under some scrutiny. But then, some people did that. Perhaps he was pondering her age and lineage. She of course had at least heard of the Howards. 

Eleanor considered his question for a moment. "I would say 'interested' rather than 'skilled'," she demurred, "though I do help my mother with the gardens at Honningham Hall." Where she permitted of course. "But flowers are something of a passion of mine, along with embroidery." She indicated her dress, which today was her cotton day dress woven in stripes of cream and pale green and hand embroidered with trails of darker green leaves highlighted here and there with little clusters of pink silk roses - as though some rambling rose had climbed all over the dress. 

Perhaps she was right in thinking that Henry was scrutinising her, for Miss Wellsley urged her suddenly not to listen to him. The younger girl hid the faintest of moues behind her fan; she had been schooled to always listen to her elders and to gentlemen. That thought lasted only a moment however as the lady revealed that Prince Rupert himself had tasked her with redesigning the garden; Eleanor's face lit up. "Then this is your work?" She asked, enthusiasm plain in her voice.

"Oh, it is very pleasing." She assured Davina. "I was just admiring how the garden is well scented as well as kind to the eye. Something that is often overlooked in design, I think." She opined. How wonderful indeed to have not only a garden to design, but a Royal one! Clearly Miss Wellsley was a lady of some note. 

"I do like the idea of viewing a garden as a fabric to be embroidered. Art imitates life, and now life imitates art!" She enthused. What a wonderful idea. 

Gardening was not Howard's forte.  Other things were on his mind.  Davina's news about the Prince Rupert appointment was a surprise, but he questioned the merit of it in his mind, knowing that Sunderland was likely laying a trap for certain people.

Ladies that enjoyed flowers and embroidery the most, were likely harmless courtiers.  It was time for him to exit, as the direction of conversation was not one that suited his taste.  "You have done a splendid job cousin," he complimented.  "I shall continue on my way.  Miss Bayning, it has been a pleasure.  I leave you in excellent company."  With that, he was ready to take his leave.   

Her cousin seemed to not have any interest in remaining but she could hardly blame him!

Not many men had an interest in needlework or gardens.

"Have a care Henry as you go. I shall send Poppy with a restorative."

She said to him before she turned back her trained eye admiring the others attire.

"You have skill yourself Mistress Bayning judging by what you are wearing."

"You are new to Court - I have not seen you about - but then I have been a bit confined even if it is self-imposed."

"Who are your Family? I wonder if I know of them?"

"Shall we sit? My back aches a bit from all the bending!"

She gestured to a grouping of benches set along the outer side of the half wall.

Eleanor watched as Henry took his leave before turning to Davina. "I do apologise if I interrupted your conversation." She said, feeling guilty. "That was not my intention." But Miss Wellsley had spoken of a restorative; perhaps Master Howard was feeling a little under the weather, and she should not judge him too harshly. She recalled her father like that, some mornings.

"Thank you." Eleanor dimpled when Davina complimented her skill with a needle. "You mentioned that you are skilled with the needle too; I would love to see some of your work." She said earnestly. It was always enjoyable to appreciate the skilled art of others, and she might even learn something.

The older woman observed quite accurately that Eleanor was new to court, and asked who her family were. "My father is Paul Bayning, 3rd Viscount Bayning of Sudbury." The family seat was in Sussex. "My mother is Alice Grey, and through her I am related to Baron Grey of Codnor Castle." She explained. "And yourself? I noticed that Master Howard called you cousin..." The Howards were a prominent, albeit Catholic, family. 

Eleanor was all too happy to take a seat in the garden. "Gladly." She smiled, following Davina's lead. As she did so Mary positioned the sewing basket strategically at her feat and, almost without thought, Eleanor reached inside for the piece of delicate silk veil she was currently working on. As Mary settled on the next bench over with her darning, Eleanor thought to glace about, to see whether Davina had her own chaperone, for that would tell Eleanor something about her marital state, or so she thought. 

"It is of no matter."

She reassure the other.

"My cousin will seek me out if there its anything of import."

"Yes I shall admit without any conceit that I am good. Several at Court have asked for special designs on and off."

"Perhaps we might arrange something  ...."

She took a seat without waiting for a reply and then hid a smile as Mistress Bayning took up something almost at once to work on as she spoke of her family.

"Ah Lord Grey ... The Gentleman who looks at Stars   ...I have not had the pleasure but I seem to recall some Event the past night or two?"

"My dear friend Lady Cambray must have gone for she too shares that passion."

"As for myself  .... I am the daughter of the late Viscount Baintree. And now sister to the 3rd Viscount as my brother Richard inherited. My Mother was a Paulet before her marriage so that makes my brother Baintree and I first cousins to Charles Paulet the current 6th Marquis of Winchester. The Dowager Marchioness, the Lady Isabel, is my Great-Aunt but we are close in age so it is somewhat of a joke. I am second cousin to Henry Howard, Earl of Arundel, the Duke of Norfolk's eldest son by his first wife. My brother married the Dukes daughter Catherine, by his second wife, but a few months ago."

She had rattled off the litany of names as if it were nothing.

"It is quite much I know  but I have given you the shortened version."

She smiled at the other aware that it would be rather daunting.

"And so Mistress banning have you come to Court to get a Position or a Husband or both?"

"It must be very pleasant to have one's skill's so appreciated." Eleanor enthused when Davina spoke of being sought out by others. Wouldn't that be something, having people come to her for her designs? Well, she supposed that people came to others for paintings and plays, perhaps embroidery might be considered similar. But it tended to be a feminine occupation. 

She smiled when Davina immediately placed her uncle. "Yes, he held an Astronomy Evening; it was very well attended." Something she was very proud of. "He was an academic at Cambridge before becoming Lord Grey." She explained. Ah, so Miss Wellsley knew Lady Cambray. "In fact Lady Cambray was assisting him." Something which had been of interest to Eleanor. 

Miss Wellsley rattled off her rather impressive family tree, and Eleanor listened with interest. The Howards were of course well known, such a prominent family, and here the lady she was speaking with had a strong connection to them! "It is not nothing at all. Family is very important, and yours is a very important family." She assured Davina. Eleanor rather wished that she could claim such important connections, but whilst they did technically have a distant connection to the Villers, the result of that connection was not something that the family cared to talk about, according to her father. She'd been told to forget it, and had known better than to enquire further. No doubt his reasons were good ones. 

Why was she at court? Eleanor lowered her gaze demurely for a moment. "I have come to be introduced to my peers." She replied, as was proper. "If that should result in either of those things, well, such would not be unwelcome." Of course she would welcome such. 

Then she looked up again at her companion. "What about yourself, Mistress Wellsley?" She asked.