JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

[CD] A Master and His Apprentice | Thursday 22nd - sunup

Henry Grey

Grey Rental Property

A small but clean and functional Tudor-style home with two bedrooms, a dining room, a parlor, and service areas. The dining room was repurposed into a work area by placing the chairs against the walls and using the large table for instruments, experiments, and notes.  A small stable that can hold a carriage and its horses can be found behind the house. Inside the stable there was a locked storeroom where Lord Grey’s trunks and coffers could be stored safely.

It was a fewe minutes after sunup, and his assistant should have already left. The boy had other duties besides cleaning telescopes. But the lad had a bright mind and had learned quickly. Sure, he had made a few mistakes at start, but they were becoming rarer and rarer. The cost in time and materials was minimal compared to having the convenience of a dutiful assistant.

“So, master Tom”, Henry said after examining and approving the boy’s latest attempt at fitting a lens in an eyepiece, “is lens making boring you to death?” As if on cue, both master and apprenticed stifled a yawn. “No, my lord”, the youth asked. “Truth be told, I much rather help you with telescopes than memorize Georgics…” Suddenly realizing what he had said, he turned a rather dark of beet. “I mean… err… I mean…”

The Baron interrupted the boy’s attempts to amend his words with a hearty laugh. “I will take the secret to grave, if need be, master Tom. Your guardian may be the Chancelor of Cambridge, but he does not need to know that you prefer natural philosophy to the Classics. Truth be told, so do I”. The boy’s face was one of relief. “Besides”, Lord Grey continued, “you have been diligent in your appointed duties, so there is no need for me to raise a complaint”. It was true. Tom had begun cleaning parts, then he had learned to dismantle them and put them back together. He would soon begin the long road of lens and mirror polishing and then, if he still cared to continue, that of crafting the lenses and mirrors themselves. Henry did not say it in so many words, but he was quite pleased.

The youth decided that keeping silent was the best course of action, just in case. He felt fairly treated by the man of science, but trust had not developed between them yet. He may not be as terrified of Lord Grey as of the Duke, but it was not far from that.

“There are a couple of things I would speak with you about before you leave, master Tom, so begin putting what you are working on safely away”. Henry continued as the boy did as he was told. “First, I would ask you to procure some fireworks for me. Enough to light the skies above the castle at the end of the season. If you prove yourself worthy of the responsibility and wish to accept it, you will oversee setting them up and lighting them, if that is your wish. I am too old to do a young man’s job…” the last was but an excuse to help Lord Kingston’s cousin to accept the task. It would have been unneeded by the wide eyes and even wider grin in the youth’s face as he moved his head up and down. After all, what youth did not like to set off fireworks?

“Second, I have set up a small account in your name at the Celestial Patisserie, and I mean small. You are not to buy their entire stock and then make a business of reselling it, and you cannot kill the Cardinal by feeding him things he ought not to eat, understood? But if you were to need a gift for a… shall we say… a young acquaintance deserving such a gift, you will have the freedom to do so. Just do not abuse the privilege, or you will lose it. Understood?” It was a safe way to measure the boy's character.

Tom could not believe it. If he understood correctly, Lord Grey was telling him that he was willing to pay for a small gift to a girl, without asking who the girl was before authorizing the purchase. “Thank… thank you… mmy… my lord” the boy blurted out when he could finally speak. “Thh… that is very gracious of you”.

“Master Tom, by now you have realized that in my laboratory we work hard, very hard. What you now will learn is that, at appropriate times, we play as hard or harder. Go home now. The sun is up, and you have a long day ahead of you!” The youngster did as ordered, but the smile did not erase from his face until he reached Windsor Castle.

He might make a good natural philosopher one day, if he learns to love the craft of it.

It was time for the Baron to break fast... and check on what the Cardinal was up to.

• 4 weeks later...

Eleanor had learned through recent association that her 'Uncle', Henry Grey, Baron Grey of Codnor Castle, was a kind of slightly eccentric academic, possessed of a mind so deep and broad that it wandered all over the place, contemplating the great mysteries of the universe and sometimes forgetting things like regular meals. He had servants of course, she'd observed, though they seemed few and often focused by him on his scientific endeavours. Her mother Alice had once told Eleanor that it was the nature of men to seek greatness and daring, whether it be in academia, administration, the military or service to God, and thus it was the essential role of women to ensure that the mundane and necessary were maintained and advanced, and the menfolk kept as firmly grounded as possible.

This it was that, whilst Eleanor was accustomed to a more leisurely morning, she and Mary had readied themselves quickly and set forth for Henry's rented house. For once the basket that Mary carried contained not her embroidery but a selection of warm pastries. The previous night had been her uncle's shining moment, but it would not surprise Eleanor in the slightest if he had spent the rest of the night contemplating the stars, and was only now possibly contemplating bed.

She would ensure that he had food first. On reaching the house Mary knocked on the door, whilst Eleanor waited, one step back, demure in her cream and green striped cotton day dress, her hair arranged simply but appropriately. She could only hope that her uncle would not disapprove of her presumption. 

• 1 month later...

There was a commotion inside. “Grab him, quick!“… “Nobody open that door until that demon is caught!”… “If he gets out again, he will honour his nickname and impregnate every willing female he finds!”

A crash. Another crash. Finally, a very annoyed meowwwwww, and a triumphant “there!”. Only then was the door opened by a manservant.

”May I help you?”

Posted (edited)

There was a commotion from beyond the door, a series of loud cries to the effect that some being apparently bent on ravishing and demonising Windsor was imprisoned behind it. What kind of of terrible being could that be? Mary the chaperone stepped back in shock, and the two women looked wide eyed at each other only for a series of loud crashes to sound within, followed presumably by somebody stepping on a cat's tail by the screetch, a loud 'there!' in a voice she didn't recognise, and the door began to open. 

The question as to why a sex-mad fiend might be loose in her Uncle's house did not have the time to cross Eleanor's mind in the fraction of a second before she was clearly about to be faced with him. Given the circumstances, she did what any well brought up young lady would do; she screamed loudly and, in a desperate attempt to preserve her virtue, back-handed the felon across the face with her sandlewood fan. 

Eleanor owned two fans. Her pride and joy was her ostrich feather fan, which was rich and wafted elegantly and was of the fixed style, the feathers splayed out for maximum effect. But she kept that one for indoor, formal use, lest it be damaged. At other times she carried a fan which was collapsible. It was still elegant, and bore a painted arrangement of flowers upon it's blades that she was quite fond of but was, above all, made of wood. The closed blades could leave quite a welt. 

Edited by Eleanor Bayning

Smack!

The backhand slap hit true, in the middle of the face of Lord Grey’s valet. The man was utterly surprised, to say the least, but Henry was the third Lord Grey ha had served, so few things surprised him anymore.

Still, a slap was a slap, so it took him a couple of seconds to regain composure. Then, having ascertained who it was that was calling on his master, he said in as even a tone as he could manage: “Mistress Eleanore, good morning. If you follow me, I will take you to Lord Grey now”.

Behind him, two other liveried servants could be seen, one of them holding a large and hairy cat that was trying to escape.

”Please, Mistress Eleanore, come in quickly. That… cat tries to escape evry time the door is opened…”

Posted (edited)

The fan connected, a split second before Eleanor recognised the face of her uncle's valet, a second far too late. She paled, her hands flying to her mouth which open in horror, the fan now dangling, forgotten, from the silk ribbon about her wrist. "Oh!" She exclaimed. "But the shouting, I thought..." and her words trailed off as her blue gaze moved from the valet to the servant holding the cat, and back again. Perhaps better not to say what she had thought. It was a cat, you utter nancy, she scolded herself internally. 

Saved from further awkwardness by the valet's urging that they come inside, Eleanor's cheeks turned from the white of shock to the deep pink of acute embarrassment beneath her makeup as she hurriedly stepped inside, gaze determinedly on where she placed her feet both so that she might not trip and also that she need not meet the valet's gaze. But that was no way to behave and, once inside, Eleanor sought to collect herself. "I am so terribly sorry." She said earnestly to the man who's visage was now augmented by a red welt across his nose and cheek. 

The valet might be a servant, and likely well paid by Lord Grey, but he still should not have to put up with such treatment. Uncle Henry probably wouldn't put up with it either. Well, that was on her. "We have brought pastries for breakfast." The delicious smell of warm, sweet pastries was rising from Mary's basket. "I must insist you take one for yourself." She told the valet, wanting in some way to make it up to the poor man. 

spelling

Althougha the welt would probably be visible for some time, Lord Grey’s valet did not seem offended. “I will take one if his lordship leaves any”, which was a toss up. The man of science was not exactly disciplined with his eating habits. As to her profuse excuses, he simply said, “think of it no more, Mistress Eleanore”.

She was then directed to the dining room turned laboratory. Henry was looking through an eyepiece with focused concentration. It was not until his valet cleared his throat that the baron noticed there were others in the room. “Yes?…” he began, until he realized that Eleanore was there. “Oh! My dear, how nice of you to drop by! Would you like a cup of tea?”

Whatever the kind valet might say, Eleanor could not think no more of it, but perhaps she could learn from it. He did at least allow that he would take a pastry if her Uncle left any. Perhaps she might be able to see that he did. They were very good, she could vouch for that. 

What would normally be the house's modest dining room had been turned over into a laboratory in service of her uncle's scientific endeavours. Eleanor wasn't sure how she felt about that but it wasn't her house. No doubt he had a dedicated set of rooms for his work in Codnor Castle, and elsewhere a gentleman must make do. Well, she'd seen how impressive his work was, one supposed that a certain amount of tolerance for the workings of genius was necessary. And she wouldn't presume to second guess her uncle. 

Rather she smiled sweetly in turn at his warm welcome. "That would be lovely uncle." She replied. "Mary and I have brought pastries for breakfast." She explained, indicating her chaperone and the covered basket. "I wanted to offer you my congratulations on last night's success." She added, obviously meaning the stargazing event which had been attended by much of the highly ranked nobility at court, including the King!

“Excellent, excellent!” Said Lord Grey. “Let us move to the parlour, shall we?” He said as he offered Eleanor his arm. “Pastries, you say? Hmm… now that you mention pastries, I do not recall when I ate last… but no worries! You are here, and you brought pastries, so all is well!”

”Last night? Oh, yes, now that you mention it, I did eat a fair number of dainties last night. It was a well-attended even, was it not? His Majesty, His Grace Buckingham, The Chancellor of Cambridge… even His Majesty’s Attorney General, and he is an Oxford man! I could not be happier about how it turned out”. He was. He really was. It was just that now that the event was over, his mind was busy with new lens shapes and configurations, that he seemed distracted.

They walked the short way to the parlour, took a seat, and indicated a comfortable chair for Eleanore to sit in. “You did mention pastries, did you not, my dear?”

Lord Grey seemed in a fine, high mood this morning, and Eleanor happily took her uncle's arm as he led her to the parlour, all the while confirming her suspicions that he might not have eaten much recently. It gave her a little, warm thrill to think that she had judged correctly. 

"It was a very well attended evening." She agreed as Henry enthused on the success of his evening, as well he should. It had been his planning and execution, and it had been roundly attended and enjoyed by the cream of court. "And very well enjoyed, by those with whom I spoke. You have every right to be proud of your presentation." As she was proud of him. Eleanor understood that, until his brother's untimely death, Henry had been ensconced in Cambridge academia and not so involved in family doings, but she rather wished she'd met him earlier. He was quite a dear, though she supposed that she might have found his obsession with telescopes boring as a child. Still, she might have to insist he attend Bayning family events from now on. If only to thank him for his care.

Settling into the comfortable chair that her uncle indicated, carefully spreading out her skirts so as not to crush them, Eleanor settled her hands together in her lap, fan folded beneath them. "I did indeed." She replied brightly, glancing at Mary who set her wicker basket on the side table between the two, pulling back the quilted cloth cover to reveal an array of fresh pastries nestled within a quilted liner to keep them warm. As Henry's staff quickly set plates and cutlery out for them, Eleanor manouvered the basket so that Henry could view the contents. "There are apple rollovers with cinnamon, St Clements* tarts, and almond and vanilla custard scrolls. Those are my favourite." She added conspiritorially, thinking that he might light to try one. 

Waiting until her uncle had selected his pastry before taking her own, Eleanor considered the things that they might discuss whilst they ate. "Shall we attend the Yacht Race tomorrow afternoon?" She asked lightly, inwardly hoping that her uncle would say yes. "I have heard that the King himself shall be racing." And wouldn't that be something to watch?

* Pastry case filled with a custard flavoured with oranges and lemons. 

Henry was pleased with the results of the previous evening. His mind was such, though, that it did not dwell in past success overlong. The Baron was always thinking about the next problem to solve. “I need to find new types of glass…” he mused absent-mindedly. “There is a problem to solve, and I cannot do it with what I have at hand…”

Getting back to the present as he smelled the pastries, Lord Grey smiled contentedly. “It is so nice of you to take care of me, my dear. I know I forget things when I am focused on a problem. I forget to eat, to sleep, to attend court functions… I even forgot about Lord Chichester’s wedding!” Henry sounded upset about that. “I thought it was next week…” he said sheepishly. “I need to find a good gift for him and his wife. I know it will not compensate, but I need to say ‘sorry’ somehow”.

“Now, as for these pastries…” Henry picked up a St. Clement’s tart. “There was a bakery and pastry shop in Cambridge, one I could afford. They had the most amazing St. Clement’s. I do not know what type of orange they used, but they were glorious!” Or so they had seemed to the then student on a budget. Bitting into the tart, he closed his eyes and smiled with delight. “These are just as good. Thank you, Eleanore. You have made my heart glad”. He focused on the tart until there was nothing left.

”The yacht race? Tomorrow? The King himself? Oh dear, so much to do, so little time!” Lord Grey’s brow furrowed as he turned to his valet. “Reginald, make sure Seamus has the carriage ready. Also… make sure I do not forget!” The valet assented with a nod. That was a large part of his duties, that his lord did not forget things. “Eleanore, my dear, would you mind if we meet there? There is so much I need to work on…”

His train of thought was interrupted by the sight of the pastries. “You did say that the almond and vanilla custard scrolls were your favourite, no? I would like to try one of those, if you do not mind…”

Talk of the stargazing night clearly turned Lord Grey's busy mind to thoughts of his work, and Eleanor heard him murmur about glass and a problem to solve. Well, she supposed that was what he had devoted his mind to for many years, and no doubt it was terribly interesting if one had the specific education to understand it. Still, she was inwardly pleased when the smell of the fresh pastries drew him back to the present, and she gave a small, demure smile and dimpled prettily when he thanked her for taking care of him. "It's my pleasure." She said softly, her gaze dropping to her hands as she pinked a little about her cheekbones. She hadn't wanted to presume or overstep, and to hear that she had not made her happy. Perhaps she might continue to aid him subtly. 

Her smile faded however when he admitted to having missed Lord Chichester's wedding. Now there was a social faux pas! Oh deary dear. "You might say that you were indisposed." Eleanor suggested gently. She actually had been indisposed around the same time and thus in no position to ensure that Lord Grey attended his social events, not that she'd realised such was needed. Now that she did, she would be more vigilant. And what to gift a newly wed couple? Chichester was an Earl, she'd overheard purely from people talking about the wedding, and his bride a previous widow. They'd likely not want for necessities. Either something small but particularly fine, like silver candleholders, or something big and expensive, like a horse. "You understand glass better than most; perhaps you might select for them a fine decanter and matching glasses?" She suggested, toying unconsciously with her fan. That was the sort of thing one needed more than one set of for parties. She wasn't certain whether it was the right thing to put her own idea forward, but the poor man seemed at such a loss. 

Noting Henry's first choice of a St Clement's Tart, Eleanor naturally chose an almond and custard scroll for herself, waiting until Henry had bitten into his and listening to his tale of the bakery at his university as she cut herself a dainty bite of her own pastry. They were such a simple pleasure, but Henry seemed to enjoy them as much as she did, closing his eyes at the taste. Of course, hunger always sharpened the appreciation... But again that little, demure smile appeared. "I am glad." She said earnestly. A simple thing, done well, could be as much a joy as something elaborate and excessive, if not more so, in her opinion. Not that one didn't enjoy one's luxuries of course, and the baker was really very good. "Do you miss Cambridge?" She asked, curious. He clearly had fond memories of his student days, and her mother had mentioned he'd held an important position there. 

Reginald; that was the name of the valet who now sported the mark of Eleanor's fan across his nose. She would remember; meanwhile Henry asked if they could meet there. Clearly he was busy. "Certainly, I have a few things to attend to beforehand." She assured him, noting that he seemed to have forgotten that was on as well. Or never noticed. Oh dear, the poor man really did need organising. At least she would not be attending on her own. 

Turning the basket of pastries so that Henry could more easily access the favoured flavour at his request, Eleanor dimpled again. "Of course." She had not yet quite finished her own, eating daintily during breaks in their conversation, but she was pleased to see him eat well. "On the subject of events..." she began whilst Henry ate and Reginald was still in the room, "have you given thought to the Masque on Saturday evening?" She enquired lightly. 

Henry might have a brilliant mind, but like other such brilliant minds, he was not the best at handling the everyday details of life. If Eleanore were to make sure he did not forget important details, like eating or sleeping for example, she would make him a great service.

When his niece told him that a white lie would be best, his face showed... horror. "I already wrote to Lord Chichester saying that I would see him next Wednesday, as I thought that was when the ceremony would take place". It was a social gaffe, that was certain. "But the idea of a decanter and matching glasses is a good one. I will have an agent comb London for something appropriate". Perhaps two Cristallo decanters and a dozen matching glasses would make for a good gift.

"Cambridge? Very much so. I lived on a tight budget, tighter because I was always saving for travels, particularly to Venice and Bohemia. but I was happy back then. It was a simpler life too. All I had to do was devote my time to research and lecturing. Others made sure I was on time for meals at the High Table, and I paid for my clothes to be cleaned". It had been a happy time. "Not that I am not content now. Although I miss lecturing and exchanging ideas with other Fellows, I can still do research, and some doors that were previously closed have now opened, like having courtiers look at the sky through my telescopes, or requesting access to the White Tower in the Tower of London". Henry had come to terms with his current circumstance. "Being able to speak and vote in the House of Lords is a responsibility I take seriously".

"I will meet you at the yacht race venue then..." Lord Grey fell silent as he chewed heartily on his second pastry. "Also very, very good. I wonder what the third kind tastes like..." He was on the brink of deciding whether a third pastry would be gluttony or not. He had shed some weight, and he would like to keep it off.

"Saturday's Masque? Reginald has not allowed me to forget that one. He made sure that I ordered a costume that would be ready on time. To keep it simple and in my area of expertise, I will go dressed as Galileo Galilei, the famous Italian astronomer. I ordered a fake telescope made out of paper and glue too, but I am not sure if I will take it or not". It would be a hindrance for dancing to start with. "Are you going, my dear? A beautiful young lady like you should not miss such an event. I can be your chaperone, if you so wish..."

Alas but her suggestion of a harmless white lie caused a certain measure of horror in her Uncle, and he explained that he'd already written to Chichester revealing his mistake. "Ah." She said delicately. "I suppose that just leaves an apology then." She said quietly. And the hope that Lord Chichester would forgive her Uncle his absent mindedness. Still, Henry liked her idea of the decanter and glasses so she'd been of some help. That pleased her. She'd been brought up to be helpful to the gentlemen around her. 

He seemed happy to talk about Cambridge and Eleanor listened with interest as she daintily finished her pastry. Clearly it had been a different life for him - poorer but freer - before his brother's untimely death had thrust him into his current position. It sounded to her ears as though he was wistful for that existence, however much he might protest that his current position had it's benefits. "It sounds like a simpler life." She observed in good humour. Simple could be very pleasant. She had so far found court enjoyable but she was all too aware that she was very new and the gloss hadn't worn off yet. Things were also very different for a gentleman than for a lady. 

Their attendance at the Yacht race was agreed upon, and attention turned to the upcoming Masque, and Eleanor listened as Henry told her about his intention to attend as a famous astronomer. She nibbled at her lip a little, a sign of concern. "I should very much like to attend" She replied when he asked. "And I would appreciate you acting as my chaperone; thank you." She added; it was so kind of him to offer. "I must confess however that I am uncertain as to what character I should present." She admitted. "I have a dress and a simple mask which can easily be modified," she assured him hurriedly, in case he thought that she was completely without a costume, "but I was not certain whether there might be a theme, or an appropriate selection of figures?" She said, the lilt in her voice turning the statement to a question that perhaps her dear uncle might assist her with. 

"I confess, after your presentation last night, I had this fancy that we might attend as Astraeus and his daughter Astraea." The ancient Greek god of the stars and astronomy, and his daughter who was goddess of innocence and purity, and sometimes justice. But perhaps it wasn't done to give one's self such airs?

Spelling

“Yes, an apology. Hopefully that will be enough. The main reason I try to be truthful and avoid fibs is that I am so forgetful that I get into trouble when I forget what I said. Truthfulness suits me best, I think”. I must not forget the gift, though…

”It was a simpler life indeed. But when court is in recess and I go back to Codnor Castle, things are almost as simple. I can make mead from my bees, watch the stars and the moon, walk briskly around the estate…” his waist was indeed slimmer than last season. “I do not complain, my dear. I live a good life”.

Eleanore’s words about the masque gave Henry food for thought. Wearing coordinated costumes would further cement their relationship in the eyes of court, which would benefit Eleanore greatly, as she would be seen as being under the protection of a very old family. Besides, altering his costume would not be that hard, Lord Grey thought. Galileo would have been a possible controversial subject, as he was placed under house arrest by the Inquisition, and the King wanted religious tolerance.

”My costume of Galileo is basically a stern black outfit with a white Italian collar and a black Venetian mask. Perhaps we could remove the collar and add pearls of different colours on the outfit and the mask? What do you think?” Henry was more than willing to make the change. “The night sky with stars of varying colours could very well represent Astraeus”.

”To dress as deities might be a bit presumptuous, but after last night we might be forgiven the vanity of it. After all, I am an astronomer, so something star-related is to be expected, no?” The Baron was sold on the idea.

"Of course." Eleanor acknowledged, gaze lowered and suitably chastised on the subject of truthfulness. She was aware that there were times when, socially, it was more provident to provide a white lie than the truth, which could hurt or offend, but she understood Henry's point about needing to remember the fibs that one had told. She would remember that too. From each of the adults in her life, Eleanor learned something different, and for that she was grateful. 

Still, Henry's description of his estate was quite endearing. "That sounds very peaceful." She observed, and not unlike the country life that her own parents preferred. She knew her father attended Lords when he felt it really required of him, but they tended not to frequent the court scene. Of course, that was partly due to others who did. But she understood the appeal of the simpler, country life and it seemed that Henry felt the same. All he needed was a lady to help organise him and bear him an heir. 

"So, there was no theme preferred?" Eleanor wanted to clarify. In that case it rather sounded as though it might be open slather, though she would acknowledge the point that dressing as deities might be a little forward. But Henry had just held a very successful astronomy night. "I think you might be forgiven." She agreed with that demure little smile. The event had been very popular. Why, the idea seemed to spark Henry's imagination as he described alterations to his current costume. "If your outfit is black, that is perfect." Eleanor enthused. "My own dress is a cream silk brocade." Very pure and innocent.

Henry spoke of pearls, but Eleanor had other ideas. Though pearls certainly appealed. She liked pearls. "If you will allow it, I can purchase some small pearls, silver thread and silver spangles* at the dressmaker's, and it would not take me long to add a series of constellations to your ensemble." After all, embroidery was her passion. "Especially if you can provide diagrams of the actual constellations for me to follow." They could be outlined in silver thread with spangles and pearls for the actual stars. Already she could see the designs in her mind's eye. "Then I can add something similar to my own outfit, so that we are clearly a pair." Eleanor's enthusiasm was apparent in her lively tone and the way she even sketched out designs in the air with her hands. Then she could attend with her uncle, her first courtly ball. How exciting!

* Spangles: metal sequins

Henry had a healthy appetite. That was the reason he had gained weight over the years, weight he had been shedding with the help of his morning constitutionals. But the pastries were glorious, so he took a third one, an apple rollover. “This is the last one, I promise”, he said mostly to himself. He then proceeded to devour it in a few seconds without making any noise or wasting even one crumb.

“I think anything astronomically-themed would be best”, the Baron replied. “Besides that, I have no preference. Buy whatever you need for my costume as well as for yours, and charge it to my account”. It was a relief that Eleanore was taking care of his costume so he did not have to. Such great help ought to be rewarded.

”Constellations? Give me but a moment…” Lord Grey looked in one stack of papers that seemed close to falling. “I have a hand-drawn draft of the London sky here somewhere… where is it?” After a minute or two the English Lord took a folio-sized paper and gave it to Eleanore. It depicted the midsummer’s night sky of London, with dotted lines joining each constellation’s stars.

”Will this do? There are enough constellations here for a full ensemble, I think, and any astronomer worth their salt will recognize them as being real. Just send it back when you are finished with it. It is a draft for a project I am contributing to”.

It pleased Eleanor no end that Henry was obviously enjoying the pastries she had brought. It meant that she had judged both his need and what she had brought correctly. Had she known of his struggle with his weight she might have chosen a little differently, but for the leisure class the solution was generally the one Henry had chosen; be more active rather than eat less. For herself she decided to indulge in one of the St Clements tart, but resolved not to eat all of it, lest she consume and unladylike amount. Besides, if she left some then the servants were guaranteed to at least have a taste. 

The girl's tummy did a little flip when Henry told her to buy whatever she needed for their costumes, and he would pay for it. Such largesse! Her family were reasonably well off of course, by noble standards, but she was not accustomed to having access to more than a small stipend, her parents managing any necessary spending. Usually she bought her embroidery supplies and the sweet treat when they went into town. Her mother handled her wardrobe, though she'd been allowed more input as she'd grown older, but always with that guiding hand. To be given such freedom! Oh there were many things she would like to buy, but resolved that she would not abuse her Uncle's generosity. Besides, she had only two days to complete the work on two costumes, so there was a limit to what she could achieve before the event. 

But there would be a few pearls. 

"Thank you Uncle." She replied seriously. "I shall be mindful of your confidence in me." She added seriously. "After last night, I think you can claim at least temporary Lordship over Astronomy." Even the King had been there! 

Curious, Eleanor watched as Henry responded to her enquiry by rifling through a precarious stack of papers  - really, he needed an assistant to sort and file his work for him - and returned with a large piece of which he offered to her. She could see that it was covered in intricate sketchings and she carefully wiped her fingers on her napkin before taking it, holding it delicately by the edges as she looked at the intricate mappings of the stars, each connected into their constellations by fine lines. "Oh this is perfect." She breathed, looking up at Henry after a moment's perusal, before looking down again at the intricate work. "Yes, I can definitely work these onto an outfit." This was exactly the kind of thing she'd had in mind. And her Uncle was trusting her with some of his work... Instinctively she moved to trace the delicate lines, but stopped before her finger actually touched the paper. She didn't want to smudge his work. Such simplicity, and such grandeur. And the views through the telescopes the night before...

"I never give much thought to the stars save to admire them on occasion before, but the views of God's creation last night were breathtaking." She admitted quietly, still looking at the fine detail on the map of the heavens, before glancing up at Henry. "I know you must be very busy with your work, but do you think you might be willing to teach me a little about astronomy?" She asked daringly. She was a woman of course, and most men did not think ladies capable of academia, but Henry had had that Countess from the West Indies helping him.

Henry was pleased that Eleanore did not react as if she would spend one year’s worth of Codnor Castle’s income in their costumes. How she behaved with something as minor as a masque’s costume would determine how much she could be trusted with more important things. So far, so good, though.

Henry had handed her his latest draft of the London star map. That he trusted her with it with the only instruction of sending it back when she had no more use of it spoke volumes. It would soon be ready for Lord Chichester to start turning it into a work of art. Court season ending would hopefully allow Henry to check things one more time before sending the final draft to the earl.

Which reminds me. I need to get a house in London before next Court season starts. A room at an inn will not do anymore! That would take some of his time in the off-season too.

And then, Eleanore’s interest in the celestial moved from the mere aesthetic to the scientific. The baron say a little straighter as a grin appeared on his face. “Of course my dear! It would be my pleasure to help as much as I can in whatever field you wish to learn from!” Henry did not think women should be barred from learning. There were enough historical examples of women with extraordinary minds “Perhaps it is your intention to follow in Lady Rannelagh’s footsteps and host salons for learned minds?”*

* Katherine Jones, Viscountess Rannelagh and sister of Robert Boyle, was famous in the 1650s for hosting salons which discussed topics including alchemy, religion, mathematics, and finances, among others.

"I shall send the map and your costume back by Saturday morning." Eleanor assured Henry. She intended to return it on Friday if possible, but allowed herself a little leeway. Still, that way he would have time to make any last adjustments. She would only have a day to work on each outfit so the embellishments could hardly be too intricate, and she would finish his first. "I shall take good care with both." She promised. 

Lord Grey seemed not only willing to humour Eleanor's request to teach her a little about the stars from an academic perspective, he seemed positively thrilled by it. Why, he even compared her to the Viscountess Rannelagh and her academic salons. Eleanor pinked across her cheekbones and lowered her gaze to her hands in her lap. "I wouldn't presume to count myself amongst such august company." She demurred, well aware that whilst she was appropriately educated for a young lady of the noble classes, she had no academic training. "But I can see how passionate you are about astronomy, and I found last night's view of the heavens intriguing." She revealed. "I can think of no better teacher. And perhaps..." she paused, wondering whether she dared too much, "perhaps if I find some small aptitude for the academic, then I might turn my attention to other fields as well." She allowed. It felt like a very daring thing to say, despite Henry's enthusiasm. Her father, so keen to fit in properly amongst the nobility, certainly hadn't seen any need to educate Eleanor beyond what was expected, and if her mother had any opinion on that she'd said nothing, focusing on schooling her daughter in the social niceties expected of her. But with the view of the heavens, and of both Lord Grey and Lady Cambray operating the equipment, an hitherto unknown door had opened a crack, and let in a little light. 

Those were the only upcoming engagements of which she was aware, apart of course from the obvious. "And then there is the Royal Christening on Sunday. I trust that we might attend together?" She ventured, not wanting to take his company for granted, even though as family going together was the obvious thing to do. Setting her cutlery down, she pushed her plate with it's half-finished tart away carefully. Someone would enjoy the rest. "My mother had a silk smock made for the prince, and I have embroidered it." With little lions and crowns in red and gold threads. It was safely wrapped and packed away for Sunday. That left the delicately unspoken question as to whether or not Henry had remembered to prepare a gift. She would not insult him by assuming that he had not. 

Posted (edited)

"Saturday morning will be perfect. Although I will not check it for errors until court is adjourned, I am so absent-minded that I would rather have back it in its assigned pile as soon as possible". His work desk might look like a spawn of primordial chaos, but that was far from the truth. Everything was assigned a zone depending on topic, importance, urgency, and other criteria. The map draft's home was the astronomy + very important + not urgent stack.

"Humility becomes you, my dear. Those who are truly good at something do not have the need to display. Only those unsure of themselves do". Which reminded him he needed to eat humble pie and ask forgiveness as soon as circumstances allowed. "All fields of study are worthwhile pursuits. Choose whatever strikes your fancy, and devote yourself to it. If it is Astronomy, I will gladly help you. If it is not, perhaps I can help you find an appropriate tutor". All of the natural philosophy fields were held by Henry in high regard.

Then the topic changed to the Royal Christening. "Of course we will attend together. It would not do to arrive each on their own. Next we know, gossips will start saying that your father is challenging me to a duel over some relative's inheritance that I absconded from your mother!" Although it was obviously said in jest, there was some seed of truth in it. "An embroidered silk smock sounds marvelous. I opted for a child's traveling desk, with His Highness' coat of arms carved into the side panels, and the whole thing first gilded and then the coat of arms painted with enamels". There was even a small secret compartment at the bottom, which could only be opened by pressing simultaneously on the Irish quarters of the coats of arms. But that information would only be given to the King, or perhaps to one of his gentlemen. "I would have forgotten about the absolute need for a gift, but Reginald is such help..." Lord Grey directed a thankful look at Reginald. "He did not let me be until I told him what the gift would be, and then he made sure it was ready on time, along an appropriate outfit designed by Mr. Maisonere specifically for the occasion. He will also make sure I do not forget to attend, and that I arrive on time. Perhaps I could call on you at an appropriate time? We could meet on the ground floor of whatever tower you are staying at, and go from there". They were not close enough relatives that he wanted to go to her room.

Edited by Henry Grey
Typos

Eleanor would ensure that the star chart was returned in good order, noting with amusement that Henry was far more interested in that than the costume. Ah well, she supposed that he had put far more effort into the former. She had noticed however that, despite the apparent chaos of his work area, he had been able to locate the chart quickly when he wanted it. Clearly there was method to the madness. 

At this rate Eleanor was not going to need to apply rouge before her meetings with Henry; he was being terribly complimentary. It felt good to have her manners validated, that she wasn't too likely to misstep, and comforting also because she knew Henry would - and had - pull her up where such was warranted. "I would like to learn at least the basic concepts of astronomy." She reiterated, thinking that if nothing else it might better help her understand her uncle. Simply being able to look at the stars and name the constellations would be enjoyable as well. But there was another field that rather fascinated her. "I am quite interested in botany." She revealed carefully. "I've always loved flowers," she gestured to the embroideries on her dress, "and whilst I was looking for some inspiration in the library I found a treatise on botany that was rather fascinating." Admittedly of more interest for it's delicate illustrations, but Eleanor felt that was more because she did not really know how to digest the information it contained, than because that information was of no interest to her.

"Well, we wouldn't want to start that kind of rumour; I can't imagine that the de Greys have ever been the type to welcome drama." Eleanor replied playfully. Though she supposed that Lady Jane Grey's story might be considered rather dramatic, but then she doubted her family had welcomed it. "The traveling desk sounds delightful." She observed, thinking it a fine thing for a young prince. The Baynings' gift would only be suitable until the boy was breeched, but could also be re-used for other, future royal babies. Still, it seemed that once again Reginald had come to the rescue. She turned a smile on the poor man as well, still feeling rather awful about the red mark on his nose. "Then Reginald is owed thanks doubly." She replied, thinking that she must find out more about the man who was clearly the one keeping Henry on some semblance of the plane of reality. "I have a modest room in the Octagonal Tower," on the fourth floor but that was no trial for young legs, "so could meet you on the ground floor if that would suit?" It was close to the room in which they'd had their first breakfast together. 

What else might they need to cover? Eleanor searched her thoughts. "Speaking of your wonderful astronomy night, whilst I was there Lord Mountjoy introduced me to Lord Kingston, describing him as 'Buckingham's protegee', but we had only a few minutes of his company before he was called away." She recalled. "Given who was making the introduction I would assume that the man is suitable company, but I really know nothing else about him other than that he has some past in maritime trade." She related. It was a bit of a puzzle really. "Do you know him?" She asked, interested in her uncle's opinion, and quite happy to have him vet her acquaintances. 

“The stars are all beautiful. If you have a good enough telescope, you start to realize that each one has a different colour and brightness. They move in the sky as seasons change, and that is also wonderful”. Although Henry’s love was the moon, the stars were also of great interest to him. “The sketch you have is the result of Lady Cambray’s work and my own. Once we are finished checking everything for the last time, Lord Chichester will turn it into a work of art. We will then present it to… someone. The King, perhaps, or the Royal Society. I think we have not decided yet. But the idea is to call attention to astronomy. The more people are exposed to it, the more great astronomers will rise”.

A sip of his tea. His cup was almost empty by then. Reginald noticed and refilled it without being told to.

“Botany is a worthwhile field of natural philosophy. Its applications are endless. From making sure your children do not eat a poisonous berry or mushroom, to painting flower arrangements that are correct as to season and location”. It was easy to see that Henry approved of her wanting to learn. “You embroidery would also benefit from such knowledge, I think”. If Eleanore could embroider constellations, she could do the same with flowers.

All descendants of Anchetil de Greye inherited the family’s drama. Lady Jane Grey had died because of the Duke of Northumberland’s greed and, quite possibly, her own father’s too. But Henry was learning to let go. His inherited hate of the Howards, Stanleys and Bourchiers was subsiding, all because of the charitable actions of a Catholic village priest.

“The ground floor of the Octagonal Tower sound perfect. I am grateful I do not need to climb four stories”. Not that he could not do it with little effort, but he would be wearing new shoes, and that was not something the Baron was looking forward to.

Lord Kingston? Hmm…

“Lord Kingston is a cousin of His Grace Buckingham. The King has appointed him as one of his gentlemen and as Chancellor of Cambridge. He studied in Cambridge for a time, but left to go to war. From the little I have interacted with him, he seems to be a good man”. A pause. How do I say this?  “You may have heard rumours about him. I consider them the words of envious people who would prefer being in the Kings good graces in his stead”.

• 2 weeks later...

Eleanor listened as Henry spoke of the stars. She could hear the passion for his subject in his voice, and his words were also informative; he was a pleasure to listen to. Had his students at Cambridge felt similarly when he lectured? Surely they must have. And to think that the document she held was the sum of two people's hard work and intended to inform a third's. "You seek to make Astronomy more accessible." She surmised. The more people who could access it and learn it, the more people could then expand on it. 

She smiled when Henry declared Botany a worthwhile field of study. His approval meant a lot to her. She already embroidered flowers on most of her dresses, but imagine how much they might improve if she had a deeper understanding of their nature! "I would like to learn Astronomy, if you're willing to teach me, because it is what you enjoy." And there was a pleasure in learning from those passionate about their subjects. "And I would like to learn Botany, because it is what I enjoy." She said simply. What better thing to base one's studies on than one's passion?

Alas but women were raised, trained and expected to be pawns for men's ambition, from Lady Jane Grey through to Eleanor. If their menfolk were good, then they were also defended and protected. If ambition was put before a lady's welfare, then sometimes they became casualties on the road to power. Some women had strong enough personalities to carve their own path, but they were viewed with suspicion as improper. And Eleanor had been taught to be very proper. She was thoughtful and intelligent, but the innocent faith in those blue eyes as she looked at Henry made clear her implicit trust in him, and the other adults in her life. 

They agreed on a place to meet prior to attending the Royal Christening together, and attention turned to one of Eleanor's latest introductions, a young gentleman the Marquess Mountjoy had called Lord Kingston. Henry seemed to confirm Lord Mountjoy's casual comment about him being Buckingham's protegee, at least in his progress at court. "He has His Majesty's favour then." She deduced. Possibly through his cousin, who even she knew was closest to the King. The comment about rumours was interesting. "I haven't heard any yet, but then mother always says that rumours tell you less about what to believe than what others want you to believe." So she could well believe that they were being spread out of jealousy. "Surely His Majesty would not promote someone unworthy?" Which mean that he could be quite influential. 

"I have only heard him referred to as 'Lord Kingston'; who is his father?" She asked, on the assumption that, if he was using that honourific, he had a titled father yet living. She set her empty teacup down and waved Reginald away when he moved to refill it. She was satiated, and had run through most of the topics she'd had on her mind to discuss with her uncle. 

(OOC: Sorry I missed this!)

"Then the stars will be within your reach, but flowers will be within your heart, my dear. And never underestimate informal teaching. For centuries, women have transmitted knowledge from mother to daughter. Some of it has been lost, due to how males have looked at that as a menace to their power, but enough has reached us today. Perhaps a book or two would be a good starting point..." I will have to look for something adequate. Such books tend to be very expensive.

"Lord Kingston is being maligned by those envious of his success. But my experience is that he is nothing of what the broadsheets say about him. If I have things right, the King raised his mother to the peerage first, and then him. His father was some sort of unsavoury Scot, but that may be another exaggeration". Henry's expertise was optics, not genealogy. "If you need to, he is a good gentleman to call on as a protector if need be", Lord Grey concluded.

Seeing that Eleanor did not accept more tea, the Baron surmised that the meeting was at an end. "If there is nothing else, my dear, we will meet at the yacht races, then". Henry got up, waiting for Eleanor to do the same before adding, "Thank you for the pastries. They were truly magnificent". There were a few left still.

ooc: fin?

One book had already been a starting point, and Eleanor didn't doubt that she would find others. "I shall make use of the library whilst we are at Windsor." She decided. "And, now that I am better informed, I dare say that I shall find more books of use in the library at home." At least she hoped so. Surely there was a volume on gardening or something? Her mother would know. Alice Bayning nee Grey was an intelligent woman, and a subtle one. 

Henry's revelation regarding Kingston's mother being raised to the peerage was an interesting one, with his father being some Scotsman. His mother must be the Villiers link then. Presumably Buckingham had arranged something for her, especially if her husband had not amounted to much before his death. Curious that the match should occur in the first place, but then families could be curious things, and she was certainly not one to be throwing stones from within the orangery. "That is good to know. Thank you." Eleanor said, when Henry assured her that Kingston was another who would be suitable to call on at need. So far she had made a number of important connections, and was feeling safer and safer at court. 

At Henry's confirmation of her subtle indication that she was finished, Eleanor smiled politely and collected up her fan. "I won't take up any more of your time, dear uncle." She said, rising to her feet. "It was my pleasure," on the subject of the pastries, "thank you for the conversation." She approached and stood on her toes to give Henry a chaste, familial kiss on the cheek. "Until the races then. And, if you haven't yet had the chance to sleep following your undeniable success last night, now might be a good time." She suggested quietly, at close proximity, before stepping away and curtseying politely. Then, in a flurry of skirts she, her chaperone Mary, and the basket were gone. Only the last of the basket's contents remained on the table as evidence.

OOC: Fin! And thank you!