JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

An evening of Stargazing etc | climbing the tower, Weds 21st evening

Lord Mountjoy returned to the topic of Barbados when he was finished with the telescope. “Is is,” Anne-Elisabeth agreed. “Especially if you grew up there. Newcomers often complain about the heat and take some time to adjust to it. I had never seen snow until I moved to England and I can't say I like it. You are correct about our lives. Though we call our home a colony, it is more a collection of huge plantations. One’s nearest neighbor can live miles away. But we get together for parties and holidays. There is a church that many attend every Sunday.”

As the second highest ranking member of the group, she should be next. “You can have my turn, Lady Lucas,” she called. “And you can go after her, Mistress Bayning,” she said in a lower voice since Eleanor was standing next to her. “I prefer to be last, as I will probably make some adjustments.”

The Marquess spoke privately to Lord Grey while Eleanor explained her relationship to the gentleman she called ‘Uncle.’ Now Anne-Elisabeth knew why she had never looked through a telescope before. They were only distant cousins and had never met before this season. Hopefully, he would encourage her interest in science.

Lord Mountjoy had turned back to them by the time she finished and commended Lord Grey on being an excellent choice of guardian. Anne-Elisabeth nodded in agreement. As to how she had met the Baron: “We met at a dressmaker’s shop.” She chuckled at the memory. “Neither of us had been at court long and we didn’t know it catered only to ladies. Nor did we care, for when we discovered we shared a passion for astronomy, the heavens and telescopes were all that mattered."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could have been easy to take slight at being placed after Lady Lucas by Lady Cambray, when precedence dictated that, as a Viscount's daughter she should go before her, but mindful of her Uncle's advice, Eleanor was more than willing to give deference to age and wisdom. Besides, it meant that she had a few more moments to speak with the intriguing lady from the Carib. 

Whilst it was true that Eleanor had not met 'Uncle' Henry before this season, she had to agree with Lord Mountjoy's assessment. "I couldn't agree more." She said in response, smiling at the two gentlemen. "My mother always spoke highly of Lord Grey, and since my arrival I have seen why." She felt very safe with Henry as her guardian. He was firm but fair, giving her structure which she was accustomed to and perhaps just a little more freedom, which she was enjoying but determined not to abuse. 

She was interested to hear Lady Cambray's explanation. "So it was over the thought of a telescope then!" She observed cheerfully, carefully not asking how one did not know the difference between a tailor and a dressmaker. She supposed that both had lived rather sheltered lives, albeit for wildly different reasons. Still, the pair clearly got along well and that was wonderful. Uncle Henry no doubt benefitted from friends who shared his interests. She seemed pleasant company. 

"I do not doubt Lord Grey appreciates the assistance of one who understand and appreciates such instruments as well." She acknowledged. "How many court seasons have you attended?" She asked, curious, wondering whether the older lady enjoyed them as much as Eleanor was enjoying her first.