JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Francis & Frances play cards | Monday 2pm

The Crimson Drawing Room

Crimson.JPG.a637ac35b99052a2e8fa83bd08a854fc.JPG

This spacious room lies in the heart of the Upper Ward, and serves as a much-needed refuge from the sometimes inclement weather. The floor is laid with sumptuous carpets of taupe, cream, and gold, while the walls are papered in deep crimson and trimmed with gilded cornice. Several large mirrors, dressed artfully with heavy velvet drapes, are hung about the room to reflect and maximize the candlelight, since there are no windows. There is also an intricate tapestry depicting the four seasons. The ceiling is painted with an assembly of gods and goddesses, intermixed with delightfully cherubic Cupids. Throughout the room there are small groupings of comfortable chairs, all luxuriously upholstered in crimson, often surrounding elegant little tables. There is also a marble fireplace, flanked by Grecian columns, in which a fire may be laid to bring light and warmth to the room.

Francis had agreed to meet the Duchess of Richmond, the one who wasn't his aunt, in the Crimson Drawing Room for a spontaneous game of cards. The goal was that hopefully, people would see him going about his usual business, unbothered by the slanders, with his well-placed friends. The Duchess of Richmond was always an amusing friend to spend time with, and they had figured if they put up a game a cards, others might wish to join.

Gentleman that he was, he made certain that the servants had made ready a card table in a prominent position, and he had borrowed one of the Duke's liveried servants to be on hand to serve drinks as needed.

In the meantime, he waited for the arrival of the Duchess.

The Duchess of Richmond stepped into the Crimson Drawing Room wearing a blue silk gown adorned with white lace and sprinkled with pearls. If she was going to be gossiped about today, at least her attire would be above reproach.

Immediately noticing Francis as well as the card table, she approached him with a smile. “Good afternoon, Lord Kingston,” she said, holding up one hand to be kissed.

• 2 weeks later...

Intent on beating his slanderers at their own game, Francis gave the duchess a pretty bow and then kissed her hand delicately. Her blue ensemble popped considerably brighter by the complimentary bronze of his own. Though he could claim no credit for it as Buckingham liberally directed his tailoring, he could appreciate the duke had a fine eye for fashionable things.

His only true addition to the costuming was the sapphire earring that dangled down from his ear. Although such things had been considerably fashionable for gentlemen one martyred king earlier, Francis cared not one whit about that. The duke's only commentary about doing something 'vintage' and out of style was to do it extravagantly and others might follow suit. 

"And a good afternoon to you as well, Your Grace." He gave her an appreciative look up and down. "The color suits you."

Lord Kingston bowed to her and his lips brushed lightly over her hand. Not for the first time, Frances considered how handsome and gentlemanly he was. It was such a shame that some vile fellow was trying to ruin him with unjustifiable lies. She remembered well when she had been the target of nasty rumors back when the King was obsessed with her. She had not been as mature and experienced as Francis, and they had hurt her much more than they should have.

He was handling it quite well, and she was pleased to help him prove his enemy wrong. Though no longer a court beauty, she still had influence and was well-known and accepted in the highest social circles. If she didn’t shun him, than why should anyone else?

She blushed and giggled at his compliment. “Thank you, my lord.” Her head turned toward the card table. “I see that you have everything prepared. Will it just be the two of us, or have you invited others to join us?"

• 3 weeks later...

Francis smiled, "Well, it wouldn't be much of an impromptu card game if I invited a bunch of others to play, now would it?" There was a light chuckle. "I am curious to see if any will join us, seeing you will join me companionably. Then I shall know how strongly the broadsheets are swaying true sentiment. If it is just people enjoying a good gossip and something to whisper about scandalously, that is a bit different than true avoidance and belief."

He gestured to a chair, holding out a hand to aide in her graceful sitting if she wished.

"In the meantime, you choose the game. With just the two of us Vingt-un would be suitable and simple enough to manage whilst conversing, but I will defer to your judgement and desires. I am curious what you have been up to since last we had time together?"

The Duchess giggled. “It’s not very spontaneous if the card table is already set up. Though I suppose that if anyone walked by, they would assume you were waiting for someone and that would show that not all courtiers fell for those horrible lies.” She had a lot of friends and if any of them saw her, they would certainly come in and greet her, perhaps hoping for some juicy gossip. And if they wanted to play a few rounds with them, the more the merrier.

How could anybody believe such awful rumors when Francis was so charming and gallant? He was nothing at all like the evil man described in those broadsheets. She smiled at him and took his hand, only releasing it when she was settled in the chair. “You read my mind. I was going to suggest Vingt-un myself.” Frances enjoyed all kinds of card games and was quite good at them, though today she was more interested in conversation. She was quite fond of Lord Kingston and it had been quite some time since they had spent time together.  Too long, in her opinion.

“Recess was quiet as usual. I rode my horse a lot and had some new flowers planted in the gardens. Flowers are one of the best things about summer recesses. I threw a party for friends and attended a few soirees on neighboring estates.”

She leaned forward. “I also acquired a ward. Some distant cousins I hardly knew were killed in a carriage accident nearly a year ago, leaving their only daughter an orphan. Her father left her well-provided for, but she couldn’t inherit his title and it was inappropriate for her to stay with the new unmarried Earl. Poor Diana was shuffled from relative to relative until I heard about her and agreed to take her in. It is rather lonely living by myself, and it’s nice to have a companion.

“I left her at my estate because her new gowns weren’t finished yet. Now that they’re done, she’ll be arriving tomorrow to stay with me at the house I rented in town. I would like for you to meet her.”

• 2 weeks later...

"Spontaneous enough that it did not have a flowery invitation sent out a week prior?" Francis posed, with a grin. "It is easy enough to call for a card table for it to not be utterly planned, but I don't really care what anyone thinks in that regard. Just that others would feel welcomed to join if they wanted to test their luck and risk their coin." He winked.

Sailors were notorious gamblers for there not being many entertainments at sea. They were even fewer for more common men, who oft were not the most literate nor talented with music or such things. Bawdy songs, rowdy play, and gambling were usual fare for long voyages. 

Francis was a practiced enough player but not particularly profligate. He had always felt the constraints of coin until more recently and still felt that he could not keep up with the reckless spending of most courtiers.

Settling himself opposite her, he began to shuffle the cards. "I confess to having a love of the fruits of summertime, although there are many treats of autumn as well. I can appreciate a well-done garden for the beauty and ambience. There are many that put off a scent of such sweetness."

He paused in the card shuffling, "A ward?" He resumed. "Have you ever had a ward before?"

Two cards were dealt to each of them face down. He continued the conversation as he waited for Richmond to look at hers and determine if she wished another card. "She is of age to come to court then; how old is she? And I would be happy to meet her, of course."

Frances blushed when Lord Kingston winked at her. His mood had definitely improved since the reception. “Maybe you should have sent me an invitation and made a show of having it delivered. Then there would be courtiers lined up outside the door waiting to see if I came.”

She watched as he shuffled the cards. “I wish you should see my garden. Perhaps I should hire an artist to paint it next summer. Does your own estate have a nice garden?” The Duchess of Richmond knew that he lived with the Duke of Buckingham, but assumed that Francis had some property of his own, especially after his rise in status.

“No, I’ve never had a ward before. She just turned sixteen. I plan on introducing her around at the next court event. I do hope there will be a ball this season.”

Frances looked at her cards and nodded to indicate she would like another one. “I remember that you had a ward a couple of years ago. Do you think I did the wrong thing by taking her in?”

"You are clearly better at this than I am," Francis replied. "That is as I should have done. It would have been entertaining to see them in wide-eyed wonder."

Though Francis was a newly made earl, he was not the richest man in property. Kingston was his lady mother's, and she was quite young. His estate in Staffordshire was his, true, but it descended to him from a "father" that was not truly his father, and he had used a lot of the finery from it to fund his company in the years after the way when he had lost his ships. 

"I should like to see it," he said, "How far is it?"

"Alas, I have never spent enough time in England to truly build a splendid garden on my property. I have planted trees, paw paws, and such, from the Americas, and my lady mother has been making a splendid garden in Kingston, but I cannot claim it as my own. It is hers, in her own right. His Grace has a beautiful garden at his London property which I enjoy." Francis did most things in Buckingham's garden. He practiced swordsmanship and baton with Tom, read, played his violin, and napped.

"I do not think it is ever wrong to provide a young person aide when one has the means and desire to do so," Francis answered her. "I still have a ward, though Sophia has married; he is about the same age as yours, a cousin of mine. His Majesty is fond of amusements, and I know there is to be a masked ball. I would expect invitations to go out shortly."

Francis dealt the lady another card. He stayed on his. 

• 2 weeks later...

“I’m just more experienced at these things than you are.” Frances smiled teasingly. “Whenever you wish to benefit from my vast social wisdom, all you have to do is ask.”

As to her estate: “It’s in Kent, so it’s not all that far, depending on your definition of ‘far.’” She thought the journey quite boring, but maybe that would change with Diana to keep her company. “You are welcome to visit anytime.”

Francis spoke more of his mother’s garden and Buckingham’s than his own and she said nothing more about it. The Duchess assumed that gardens were not very important to somebody who spent much of his time at sea. She wondered if they grew plants on ships, but decided not to ask.

She had not known that Lord Kingston had another ward. “Perhaps we can introduce them to each other,” Frances suggested. “And you can give me advice when I need it. You have more experience in guardianship than I do.”

Her eyes lit up at the mention of a masked ball. As one of the King’s attendants, it made sense that he would know the plans for the season before anybody else. “I suppose I shall need to take Diana to the dressmaker and have a costume made for her. And one for me as well.”

She looked as her cards. “What kind of disguise do you plan to wear?”

Kent was bordering on a fair few hours by coach, but it was only three or four by horseback, so it was not entirely far from Francis' point of view. His point of view was also skewed by the fact that he had spent a life of far travel. 

Speaking of which, he said, "I could travel down the Thames by boat to Kent, by Gravesend." He, in fact, had experience with that route as that was where the Thames Estuary met the sea. 

"Of course, I would be happy to introduce them and provide you any guidance you might ask of me, but I can hardly be labeled an expert with the raising of young ladies. It was a task I was not wholly prepared for, but one does what one must where family loyalties and honor are concerned."

The idea of a costumed ball appealed to the duchess,  and he admitted to himself that she probably relished in such dramatics as they were a prime driver of gossip. Who was inside what costume? Who dared to do this or that anonymously? Could identities that were attempted to be concealed be ferreted out? Ladies loved such things.

"I do so believe that when you see my costume, it will make both make you laugh and make sense, for it could be none other than me." He then leaned in and whispered, "Besides, my hair is a dead giveaway, and it is hard to properly cover with a periwig without being ridiculous hot in a room crammed full of dancing and reveling courtiers. 

“Of course you prefer to travel by boat,” the Duchess teased. “If you do, I hope you take Diana and me sailing before you leave. Cobham Hall isn’t all that far from Gravesend. I am so glad I don’t live in Gravesend. Who ever thought to call a town by such a morbid name?”

She had not known that Francis and his former ward were related. Perhaps that explained why they both had such gorgeous hair. “I’m sure I will need some help along the way. I guess I am fortunate that my ward is a girl. I wouldn’t know how to raise a boy.

“Maybe we can introduce our wards at the masquerade ball, though I would like you to meet Diana first while she’s not in disguise.”

Francis gave her a hint about his costume. “My first guess would be a pirate, but that’s probably too obvious.”

She tapped her chin thoughtfully. “I am tempted to propose that Diana dress as me when I was her age. She looks almost exactly like I did fifteen years ago. I must have gotten my looks from my mother’s side of the family. As for my own costume, I have no idea. Do you have any suggestions, Lord Kingston?”

• 3 weeks later...

Francis  had no idea that the duchess thought he and Sophia were related based on his comment. Family loyalties could mean many things other than direct relation, so their similarity in hair did not occur to him.

"I felt much the same about being responsible for a girl. Much of their future happiness has to do with what sort of husband they can attract and if you can facilitate a good match as a man, and that is a hefty responsibility."

With a hmm, Francis contemplated her idea. He was not sure Tom was ready to participate in court events and balls where one's identity was concealed could lead to inappropriate situations. He was not sure Tom was ready to both control and deport himself at a ball.

"I have not decided if I am allowing him to attend, but if I do then they can surely meet, and I would be pleased to meet her beforehand."

As to his costume he chortled and said, "No nothing quite that obvious and unimaginative."

To her ward's costume, he said, "I am sure none could compare to you, so I would let the girl be her own and allow her to conceal her identity with a feathered mask, like a swan...or something...maybe the mythical Roman goddess Diana." He grinned. "As for your own...You could also play quite right as a goddess."

“I don't know her, but she always looks happy when I see her so I think you did well.  You've also gained experience that might make it easier to find husbands for your own daughters.” The Duchess was certain that he would have a family of his own eventually. She would have liked to have children herself, but she was past thirty and didn’t plan to marry again. Gentlemen were lucky that they could procreate at any age.

Lord Kingston seemed rather strict with his current ward, but maybe the boy was prone to getting into mischief. She didn’t think she had to worry about that with Diana. “Well, like I said, she will be arriving tomorrow. Just let me know when you’re not busy and we can arrange a meeting.”

Frances had known she was wrong about his costume. “Any more hints? Or are you going to be cruel and make me wait until the ball?”

His compliment pleased her. She had lost her beauty to smallpox scars but it was still nice to be flattered. “I suppose you are right. I should let her choose for herself, as long as she doesn’t want to be a duck or a chicken or something equally ridiculous. A goddess would be a good choice for her but perhaps not for myself. I suppose I shall have to think on it.  It would be fun to come up with something really unique."

• 2 weeks later...

"That is an astute observation," he concurred. If he ever did have children. He still held misgivings over the Kirke name and until an alternative was set, it seemed a notion he did not want to contemplate.

As to Tom, it was not that he was particularly mischievous, but boys of a certain age had their tendencies. Tom had lived a dutiful and structured life, so it was more the boy's lack of experience around the nobility and higher gentry, of deep court life, that gave Francis pause. As did the ability to conceal identity. Even after being in the duke's household, Francis was not certain Tom was ready for a greater court introduction.

"Perhaps Thursday afternoon? I have a dinner with that Russian ambassador in the evening, but I am free much of the rest of the day. Or Friday, after the yacht race?"

Chuckling about the thought of his costume, he said, "Oh, it is no cruelty. It will only be the more amusing when you see it first hand without foreknowledge of it."

The scars from smallpox had never bothered Francis. They might mar perfect skin, but they did not alter beautiful features in his opinion. "I trust in your ability to come up with something unique and notable."

It did not seem their game was going to tempt anyone else, though they kept playing as they spoke.

• 2 weeks later...

“Of course it was.” Frances grinned. “Because I was the one who made it.” She wondered if Lord Kingston fancied any lady in particular or if he had yet to find the right one for him. Whoever she turned out to be, she would be a lucky young lady.

“Thursday afternoon is fine. Perhaps we can meet in the garden for a stroll? I would like to show Diana the waterfall.”

She supposed that Francis was right about his costume. It would be better to be surprised than to know about it beforehand. She hoped she could think of something for herself that would surprise him too.

“So you have already met the Russian Ambassador?"  She leaned forward.  "Does he really wear a dead animal on his head as a hat?”

• 2 weeks later...

"Thursday in the gardens then," Francis confirmed. "Let us hope the weather is fine, for gardens are so much better when it is not gloomy or foggy."

He snickered as she asked him about the Russian ambassador. "A dead animal? Well, I did meet the man at the bonfire a few days passed, and I did not smell any dead animals. He had a rather strange and large hat, yes, but it is oft the case that fashions are different elsewhere. In my travels I suppose I have become accustomed to such things. If you would like to meet him, I could introduce you, and you could judge for yourself."

• 2 weeks later...

“I do hope it doesn’t rain. Then we’ll have to wait another day, unless we meet indoors. She plays the harp and sings, so the music room might be a good idea.” The Duchess favored Francis with a sly smile. “I have heard that you sing well too. Perhaps the two of you can perform a duet.”

One of her friends had told her that the Russian Ambassador wore a dead animal on his head. She had hoped it was true, and maybe it was. Since Francis had met him at a bonfire, the scent of smoke might have masked other smells. And since it had been dark, he probably hadn’t been able to see very well.

Her blue eyes lit up. “Yes, I would love to meet him. Is he going to be at the yacht race?”

• 2 weeks later...

"You have heard that I sing well?" he asked, an amused smile crossing his face. "I do not know if I would second that opinion. I surely have never sang a duet, and I only play the violin moderately well. I do not think any practiced ear would find much pleasure in being subjected to either."

Gwen had found his voice to be very natural and pleasing. Sophia, perhaps, had encouraged him in it, but she lived singing and music. 

"I wonder who brought that particular gossip to your ears?" he asked.

"I would imagine most of court will be there. Who would miss watching all the royals race with Her Majesty observing? It will be a grand court event, so ambassadors will likely be in attendance. I will be on my yacht, so I am not sure if there would be a good opportunity to introduce you, but if the opportunity presents itself, certainly."

(OOC - shall we wrap this up? :) )

“You’re just being modest. I’m sure you sing and play very well.” The Duchess smirked mischievously. “As for where I heard it, that’s for me to know and you to never find out. A lady never reveals her sources.”

She considered asking Francis if she and Diana could join him on his yacht during the race, but their presence might distract him. Watching from shore was a better option anyway, for she would be able to introduce her ward to those courtiers she wanted her to become acquainted with.

“Well, if it doesn’t, I’m sure there will be other events before the end of the season.”

It seemed as if nobody was going to stop by the drawing room. Frances had not even seen anybody peering through the open doorway. Perhaps she had secretly hoped they wouldn’t, for Lord Kingston was excellent company by himself and she was enjoying their game of cards.

(OOC: ~finis?)