JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Meeting the Mother (Sunday After Church) Sept. 18

Having arrived at Lady Pembroke's apartment, Charles took off his plumed hat and tucked it under his arm so that he would look best for an indoor presentation.  He knocked at the door politely, expecting to be received.  He had hoped to have this interview in private with Lady Pembroke, because they could speak more freely than in front of Susan; however, he was feeling optimistic about making a good impression regardless.

A servant answered the door at allowed Lord Langdon inside.

Lady Pembroke seemed to be alone in the parlour, but the presence of two door suggester two bedrooms. Susan might be there, but it would seem she would not be present. At least, at the beginning.

"Lord Langdon, welcome." She was tall for a lady, like most of Buckingham's female relations, and still had beauty for her age. She and her daughter shared many features, but they were not features they shared with her son, aside from the large blue eyes. "My son said you wished to speak with me privately?"

She was a woman who enjoyed taking the measure of a man. Or woman. There were plenty who wished the attention of Thomas, and meeting her frightened most all of them away. Scampering little field mice did not belong in her family and too many families of court wished their daughters to be foolish, meek things, who if they had brains were trained to behave as if they did not. 

And so she waited for him to make the first move while standing near the fireplace.

Charles took a quick survey of the lady but dared not linger in his gaze, lest he convey the wrong message.  "Lady Pembroke , thank you for agreeing to see me."  He closed the distance between them to a socially acceptable separation.  If she offered her hand, he would be happy to kiss it.

"I come with three goals today.  First an apology.  Second a compliment, and third a request."  He paused politely to give her an opportunity to object, which he doubted she would be ungracious enough to send him away without hearing him out.  If she asked him to sit, he would, but he preferred to stand.

"First, as I also conveyed to your son, I was mortified to hear any insinuation that my brief encounters with your daughter may have cast some shadow upon her honor.  I have engaged in past folly and I did not realize the extent of potential harm I could have caused your daughter by speaking with her in the absence of a proper chaperone.  For all of this you have my sincere apology."  He stood at attention as if facing a tribunal.

"Second, I hold your daughter in the highest regard.  I would never wish to be anything but an aid to her.  You are to be complimented for raising such an exceptional daughter.  Not only has she impressed me with her kindness and charm, but she is the smartest and well-read lady I have encountered.  We can have conversations of substance and not just frivolities.  That is rare at court, and I respect her for that."  On this subject he softened the serious expression he wore during the apology.

"Third, I am here to ask your permission to court your daughter.  I believe we would be a good match not only personally, but also as an alliance of families.  Your family is one of the most renown in the Three Kingdoms.  His Majesty holds you in the highest regard.  He has told me so personally.  Any gentleman would be lucky to join your family and have you as a mother-in-law.  I have much to bring to a marriage and an alliance.  I am happy to recount them if it is your wish."  A gentleman needed to demonstrate some humility.  "Yet, I credit that you have likely informed yourself of my character and portfolio."  He offered a nod to try and indicate he was attempting to flatter her.  "As for my character, let me be the first to say that I have engaged in some recent folly, for which I am embarrassed.  It has been ended. I now place myself at your service to answer any questions."  With that, he relaxed his posture somewhat.

The lady raised a delicate eyebrow and then her chalice of wine to her lips. She listened to his long speech. She offered a soft smile. It did not quite reach her eyes.

"Are you an actor on a stage, Lord Langdon? That was a considerably long speech. Did you prepare it beforehand?" She motioned a servant to offer him something to drink. "You should quench your thirst after such efforts."

She sat down on a chaise and motioned that he could sit in the chair nearby if he wished.

"I have lived a life at court, a very full one, so I need not familiarize myself with your portfolio, as you put it. I have seen it unfold since you were younger than you are now." Another sip from her chalice. "The good...and the bad. It does a lady well to know the goings and doing of courtiers, especially when one is a mother."

There was only a brief pause before she added. 

"I do hope you have learned the lesson that if one fathers a bastard child and is not a prince, that it is best nobody else knows of it? Court is not a forgiving place, and one's honor is not easily recovered once it has been threatened. You are lucky, perhaps, that there are rumors of pirate Janissaries about to keep everyone entertained, because your reputation with ladies might have more traction were it not for such gossip."

Charles offered a hesitant smile as Lady Pembroke replied.  He accepted the offered drink and accepted her offer to sit nearby.

"Of course it was practiced," he replied easily.  It was no shame admitting it.  "Just be glad I gave you the shorter version," he offered in jest.  There was too much tension in his upper chest and he felt the need to lighten the mood.

"I suppose I could offer the excuse that I have neither father or mother to advise me, but I must own my mistakes.  I was foolish and I would change things if such were possible."  He allowed a sigh to escape his lips in another attempt to lesson the tension he felt.

"I did recently seek His Majesty's counsel, and His Highness the Duke of York's forgiveness, which was granted.  Unfortunately, I owe more apologies than that.  You are but one."

He knew little of rumors about piracy and Turkish soldiers.  Langdon was not an avid reader.  "I can assure you, my lady, that you will not regret matching me with your daughter.  We will be quite the couple and likely achieve more together than you might have hoped for your family."  He had been told to end on a positive note.

The lady wondered who else he might owe apologies to, considering the cause of the apology to the Duke of York. It put her on her guard that there were other conquests that had not been so public. She did not wish her daughter caught up in such things. 

"I do not know enough of you personally, Lord Langdon, to give such permission, and besides that it is like to inflame my eldest son who is best quenched at the moment than antagonized. For your good and all of ours." She took a long, agonizing sip before adding, "I will allow you to see her privately with Herbert or I present so that we might learn more of you and your fit with our family. Perhaps if you impress me, I will give such permission at a later date."

She added, "You may speak with her now, if you wish. She is changing from chapel."

Charles was surprised that Lady Pembroke did not jump at his offer; but then, he was still an impulsive 24 year old lad.  He had practiced his speech so often and had imagined every objection, knowing he could overcome it.  In his mind, he was the perfect match for Susan.  It took him a moment to calm and tell himself that she was just being cautious because she knew him only from gossip.  Susan and he shared far more substantive dealings.

"Would not your elder son's concerns be addressed, Lady Pembroke, if I was to wed his sister?"  In such a case, he imagined, Philip's honor would be assuaged.  In the end, she offered him a chance to speak with Susan in front of her.  That seemed rather awkward.  He had been hoping for a private walk with Susan, with her mother trailing behind, outside of earshot.

"I should very much enjoy the opportunity to speak with her now," he replied courteously.  His mind was racing how he could get Susan to proclaim in front of her mother that he was the only man for her.  He was beginning to gain confidence in that regard and he looked expectantly in the direction of Lady Pembroke.

"Phillip is...not a sensible man and does not find placating what many others would find placating. I am sure that you would trust I know my own son, especially his less desirable characteristics. This matter with Dorset, of being denied access to court, has made him even more irrational and unpredictable. Do not think that what would make sense to most peers would be the same for Pembroke. Alas, I have given up on such notions, even as a mother."

She could be present and yet allow them some privacy where the entire conversation was not said with her within four feet. The apartment was spacious enough. The lady motioned to the servant to tell Susan she might emerge when she was ready. Lady Pembroke then moved to a writing desk by the window and began penning replies to her correspondence where she would be present but not wholly obtrusive.

(OOC - CW and Susan can post without waiting for Lady Pembroke to reply. I'll stick her in when and where it makes sense to ;) )

Uncharitable thoughts came to mind.  A person feeling hurt often was more quick to find fault in others.  Charles considered having a lunatic for a son a greater stain on the honor of the family than having a womanizer son-in-law.  Some might want nothing to do with Susan for fear that lunacy ran in the family, given Philip's grandfather, as opposed to unchaperoned encounters of a King's Guard and a Queen's lady. 

Of course, there was nothing he could say to Lady Pembroke other than "I understand."  That was the polite response after all.  As Lady Pembroke stood, Charles stood as well.  He would remain standing, as a gentleman must, to greet the arrival of Susan Herbert.  His hat rotated nervously in his hand.

Susan paced restlessly across the length of the room and then turned and retraced her steps. She was more nervous than she had ever been in her life. Would Charles … Lord Langdon … impress her mother or would he be turned away? He was the best possible match for her and her mother was a smart woman. Surely she would be able to see it.

She stopped and attempted to rearrange the flowers in a vase on a small table, but her hands were trembling so much that she dropped one. Picking it up, she stuck it back in and walked over to a bookcase, forcing herself to read the title on every tome. Susan felt as if her future happiness was hanging by a thread.

If Charles did not convince her mother to allow him to court her, would they ever be able to see each other again? Would they long for each other forever or would they both eventually move on? Susan resumed her pacing, her anxiety increasing with every step. She looked out the window, trying to distract herself, but all she could think of was what was happening in the adjoining room

The sound of the door opening made her jump. A servant entered and told her that her presence was requested. Now that the moment was here, Susan dreaded it. Would her mother be alone? Or would Charles be with her? Would they both be smiling with good news? Taking a deep breath, she walked to the door and through it.  Her heart pounded loudly in her chest.   She felt as if she was about to pass out.

Which probably had to do with holding her breath. She didn’t exhale until she beheld the handsome form of Lord Langdon, who seemed as nervous as she was. Her mother was sitting at her writing desk busy with her correspondence, most likely to give them a semblance of privacy. Susan greeted her with a curtsy. “Lady mother.”

She then joined Charles, curtsying to him too. “Lord Langdon.” Her blue eyes searched his for some sign as to what had just transpired, hoping that he was about to deliver news that would send her heart soaring up to the sky.

As Susan emerged, Charles offered an admiring smile.  He observed her as if they had first met, since they had not seen each other in months, other than hearing her voice behind him.  They had been friends for the past year or two and he had not viewed her as a mate before.  That had been reserved for Darlene up until they broke up in the Spring.  Now he looked at her as a woman that might share his bed and be on his arm, so his eye took in her form and face.

"Lady Susan," he greeted her formally.  "You are quite the welcome sight to behold.  I think my eyes were on you throughout the service."  He offered an amused and flattering smile.

"I have come to seek your lady mother's permission to court you, with the intent of matrimony.  She has agreed to take it under advisement, likely because she may wish to speak to you of it, as well as to learn more about myself and family."  It was a signal to Susan that she would need to play her role to pressure her mother and brother.

"Though we do not know each other well," he began as a signal that they would need to pretend they were more casual acquaintances, "I should like to tell you that I believe our match would be the envy of the court.  As a couple, we would be steeped in royal favor, you with the Queen and I with the King.  We would travel with the royal family often and have ample opportunity to win more favor with good service.  I have a spare title for our son with the secrets to unlock in Tintagel Castle, as well as other properties that I own or hope to acquire.  Our life together would be one of adventure and purpose, shared with many friends.  If I may be so bold, I think it highly likely that we find love in marriage before your younger brother.  I cannot promise that there will not be challenges for us to overcome, but we will do so together, looking back in our old age at a happy and rewarding life spent together."  He watched her eyes and facial expressions to measure the amount of joy she displayed in response to his words.

"I would treasure the opportunity for the two of us to spend some time together so that I might tell you more of my family, my wards, and my adventures to date.  I am proud of many and embarrassed by a few.  I would hear of your family and adventures too.  I shall hope that we can convince your lady mother to grant us some time to do so."  He awaited her response and he tried to sneak a peek at Lady Pembroke as well to see if she was showing any signs of emotion, good or bad.  Ideally he would like to ride with her or walk in the garden together, with her mother or Thomas in a far trailing position.  If they were to have their talk, instead, in this moment, he was prepared to proceed, perhaps they might sit together on a settee.

Susan hardly ever blushed but the appreciative way Charles looked at her brought a pretty rose colored hue to her cheeks. Just from his smile and his gaze, she gathered that his meeting with her mother had not gone poorly. His compliments were quite eloquent. Had he really been watching her during the service? She had not caught him at it when her eyes had strayed in his direction. Her glances had been brief, as she was sitting with the Queen’s ladies and she knew how they liked to gossip and spread rumors about each other hoping to advance their own positions. So far, their animosity had not touched her, probably because they all knew of her eldest brother’s reputation for violence.

“Thank you, my lord,” she said graciously.  She tried to look a bit baffled, as she was not supposed to know why he had come.

She didn’t have to feign her surprise at Charles’ announcement. Her mother had neither approved of or refused his request. She had figured it would be one or the other, but it seemed that her mother did not fully trust him, possibly because of his own reputation, which was almost as damaging as Philip’s. He had not tried to hide his affair with Mistress Sedley and had claimed her son as his own. The Dowager Countess was at least willing to give him a chance.  Perhaps he had convinced her that he had changed.

Susan understood his subtle hints. She would need to show her family that she was intrigued by this possible match and she could not reveal how well she and Charles already knew each other. There were so many things she needed to tell him, none of which could be said with her mother listening in, as she assumed she was.

She was delighted by everything he said and wondered if the lovely life he painted for them was for her benefit, her mother’s, or both. Though she thought he was laying it on a bit thick, she clung to every word. Perhaps every young lord was effusive when speaking to the lady with whom he wished to spend the rest of his life with. At that moment, she felt like the most fortunate young lady in the world.

Susan smiled warmly. “I should like that very much, my lord.” She hoped Charles had time to speak to her immediately and that they could take a stroll in the gardens together. It would be too forward for her to suggest it herself.

Things were progressing as anticipated.  Susan played her role well.  As such, he was eager to speak privately with her.  First, he needed to communicate the standard sort of information, which was intended more for the benefit of Lady Pembroke.

Although they were still standing because no one invited them to sit, Charles began the summary of his life.  His father had been a Viscount and Major in the Life Guard as well.  He mentioned his two brothers, William, an academic on the Continent studying, and Bradley, who had followed him into the Guard.  His father had bred fast horses and Charles had learned to ride at a very young age.  There was the loss of his mother and then his father, leaving him in the Court of Wards and at the mercy of Silas Moorehead.  This was followed by the story of saving his wards Abigail and Francis Smith and being given their care by the King. There were adventures arresting blackguards and breaking a Turkish slavers ring, among other good deeds.  He characterized his friendship with the young Duke of Savoy in a grand light and his friendship with the Duchess of Savoy in less of a grand light.  There had been the silly marriage to a wealthy French lady at the recommendation of the Duchess, and his wife Jeanne dying a year later.

There was mostly good, but a disclosure that two wards would stay with him, and that he had been married briefly previously needed to be shared.  Though certain that Susan had investigated his history, as well as her mother, duty required that the disclosures be made by him.  There was a bit more about his regiment and the actions it took to combat crime in London, for the good of all, as well as his offices as Steward of Somerset Palace and Lord Lieutenant of London.  These were grand accolades for one so young.  Charles could only hope that Lady Pembroke would be impressed with the opportunities he had been given.

The young Earl paused to allow Susan to make whatever disclosures about herself that she felt necessary to make in front of her mother.  After that, he turned to Lady Pembroke and asked politely "Lady Pembroke, might Lady Susan and I take a walk in the gardens now, under your supervision of course, but given some moments to get to know each other better?"   

Lady Pembroke looked up from her correspondence when Lord Langdon asked if they could walk in the gardens. 

"In the rain, my lord?" she blinked. "I do not think that's very wise..."

Understanding that young people had nervous energy and sensing they probably wished to talk where she would not hear everything, she sighed. "I suppose we could go for a walk around the inside of the castle if you are restless."

(OOC - sidebar has said that Sunday is rainy for a long time, so... 😆)

He was nervous enough that he did not give Susan a chance to comment.  "Yes, quite restless Lady Pembroke.  A walk along the walls would be lovely."  Anything that would give him a chance to speak with Susan privately would do the trick.  Now, he awaited Lady Pembroke standing and going out of the room.  Anything Susan might offer in the way of conversation would be, of course, welcome.

Susan had not investigated Charles’ background. She had not known that he had feelings for her until two days ago, and she had spent most of ensuing time serving the Queen. Most of what he told her was new to her.  Though she suspected that he was speaking more for her mother’s benefit than her own, she found his narrative interesting. She had not been aware that he had been married before or that he had wards who lived with him. The latter made her a bit wary as she wasn’t sure how they would get along, but whatever happened, they could come up with solutions together.

The stories of his adventures were quite exciting and she laughed at his more humorous anecdotes. When he was finished, she spoke briefly about herself and her own family history, painting it all in a favorable light, since her mother was listening. Except for Philip’s tendency toward violence, there was really nothing negative to speak of.

He must have read her mind, for Charles asked her mother if they might walk together in the gardens. Susan felt like she was floating on air and had not even realized that it was raining. The Dowager Countess suggested that they might walk around the palace instead. “Thank you, Lady Mother. I would much enjoy a stroll in the company of Lord Langdon and yourself.”

And please give us a little privacy, she added silently.

Lady Pembroke fought her desire to roll her eyes. Young people!

Then again she had bed the King secretly numerous times for a long time. That didn't mean she wanted her daughter to do the same with some earl. She stood and exited, planning to follow far enough behind to keep an eye on things but not overhear...much.

At last they were outside the confines of the Pembroke rooms!  Charles led the way towards the most private paths he knew along the walls.  He held out his elbow for Susan to take so that they might promenade together, trying to keep a safe distance ahead of the mother hen, and the rainfall.

There was the obligatory banter about the light rainfall before he fell into a whisper for Susan's benefit.  "I hope I have not scared you off," he whispered with a chuckle.  "I have done some foolish things with ladies in the past, but I have grown from it.  You know the type of man that I truly am.  You know that we will be perfect together, I hope."

Susan took Charles’ arm. Everything should have changed between them now that he was a potential suitor, but she felt the same warmth and companionship that they had always shared. She felt a bit awkward as they spoke about the weather, but that was probably because they had never really engaged in small talk before. She looked up at him as they strolled ahead of her mother, not noticing the surroundings at all.

There was nothing for her in this moment but Charles.

“It would take more than that to scare me away,” she laughed. “And I do believe that you have put your past behind you. You know me as well as I know you. I wouldn’t be here if I doubted you.” Her voice was soft but determined. “But my mother will. You will need to prove to my family that you have changed. They will be watching you closely from now on. Try to keep your distance from the ladies and don’t flirt with them. Watch what you say about ladies to your friends too, for they may be acquainted with my brothers.”

She grinned. “I am not saying these things because I am jealous. I am saying them because I want us to be together with all my heart and soul.”

Taking comfort from her warm response, Charles smiled back at her.  "And I would not be here if I doubted you," he whispered back.

She expressed caution about her family and he nodded.  "Just as we will be a team in the future, we must be a team in this.  I will do my part.  I will stay away from ladies in other than ordinary social settings.  You will take care of your family.  I assume you will win Thomas if you tell him you are marrying for love.  You could write your elder brother and tell him the good news and that you desire him to meet with me or my appointed representative to negotiate a betrothal as soon as possible.  You can tell him that the King supported me asking for your hand, so it might be treason for him to refuse," he laughed.  "Then you work on your mother with all the tools at your disposal to gain her consent.  Perhaps a note from the Queen? You know your family better than me, but I have full confidence in you that we will gain permission, if not by the end of the season, then soon thereafter," he offered hopefully.

Susan still felt as if she was living in a wonderful dream from which she never wanted to awaken. She had seen the way the other maids of honor looked at her, as if she was stark raving mad. And that was probably how she appeared, walking around with her head in the clouds with a silly grin on her face. If … no, when … she and Charles married, she would no longer be a maid of honor but a lady in waiting, unless Her Majesty no longer had a place for her. She didn’t think that would happen, as it would be seen as a slight and would send Philip on yet another rampage.

She laughed. “If you stayed away from ladies at social functions, it would look just as suspicious as flirting openly with them. My family would think you have something to hide and are trying too hard to get in their good graces.”

Some of Charles’ suggestions were excellent; others simply proved that he didn’t know her family very well. Discussing her potential betrothal with the Queen would be wise, as would letting Thomas know how she felt without sounding like she was the victim of a girlish crush. No, her affection for Charles was real. She knew it with every fiber of her being.

“I will do my part as well,” she promised. “Together, nobody will be able to stand in our way.”

After a moment's pause, she queried, “I didn’t know you had wards. Will they be living with us or do they stay in a place of their own?”

The important part was agreed upon, giving Charles certainty that Lady Pembroke would stand no chance to thwart the match. That just left Philip.  The man was mad, so who knew what he might do?  A sane man that was concerned that his sister was being dishonored would be glad to hear the gentleman in question had honorable intentions.

'First we convince your mother this season.  Then I, or my agent, will negotiate with Pembroke in the offseason, since he is not here ... unless he permits your mother to negotiate a betrothal in his stead," Charles discussed quietly, trying to set a short timeline for action.  It was possible that they could be wed as early as the new year, if all went well.

She asked about his wards, causing him to relay the tale of Abigail and Frances Smith.  Thomas Smith was a wealthy MP who was murdered.  Silas Moorehead had swooped in to try and get the money by getting Abigail to sign papers that she was incompetent.  Silas sent her to Bedlam prison, where she was tortured with head experiments.  Frances ran off and had lived on the streets for a year until she had shown up at Langdon's door begging food for a song.  When Frances had revealed that her mother was in Bedlam, Charles had gone there at once to rescue her, disappointed to learn that Abigail chose to knit all day and not speak.  He had gotten her to speak once to say that Frances was named after her mother.  When Charles had explained the villainry to the King, he dissolved the Court of Wards and entrusted the Smiths into the Earl's care.  They had lived with him since.  Frances was approaching 13 at becoming more independent, so he had sent her to a girl's school in London where she might learn her subjects and take singing lessons as well.

Charles viewed himself a hero in the tale, though he omitted the part about helping Moorehead in the beginning.  "Yes, I should think that they live with us until Frances is married.  Then, perhaps we can send Abigail to one of our estates to receive care the rest of her life.  They have wealth enough to sustain them, so it shall not tax our resources.  I have invested their money to purchase Dorchester House and the King's former hunting lodge, Bagshot."  Bagshot was less than 12 miles south of Windsor Castle and Charles was hoping for a dowry sufficient to purchase back those two properties for himself.

"My brother Bradley lives with me, but I hope to see him married to Miss Sedley and he can have his own fine house."  He would let that piece of planning germinate with Susan, offering her an explanation as to how Catherine Sedley would exit his life, but not completely.  Charles felt guilty over the fact that she had become pregnant.  In his mind, he was doing Catherine a service by finding her a husband, and one close to him.

“Yes, my mother is the one we need to win over. If she approves, even Philip will agree with her. She will be watching me as well, and I shall show no interest in other gentlemen so that she knows I am set on you. I wouldn’t be surprised if she interrogates me as well. Maybe she thinks that we are only infatuated with each other or even that you deceived me into believing that I care for you. I can’t blame her for wanting me to be happy. I just need to prove to her that you are the only man who can make me so. And you need to convince her that I will do the same for you."

Susan listened as Charles explained how he had acquired a mother and daughter as his wards. It was a sad and horrifying tale that reinforced the fact that some people would do anything for money. She thought it sad that Abigail never spoke and that Frances had lived on the street for so long. Charles was truly a hero for rescuing them and investing their money so that nobody else could get their hands on it.

“You were very kind to take them in.” She smiled mischievously. “Every time we converse, I learn something new about you. I just hope that they don’t resent my place in your life.”

Susan frowned when Charles spoke of marrying his former mistress to his brother. “I think you should put that plan on hold until after we are married. My family may misunderstand your intentions.  They could believe that you can’t let Mistress Sedley go and you are arranging the marriage yourself so that you can continue your affair with her. Philip might give you the same treatment he gave Dorset. After we wed, it won’t matter anymore.” Her smile returned. “I will be yours forever.”

Charles was pleased to hear how much Susan wanted to marry him.  He smiled as she spoke and softly added "she wants you to be happy surely, but she seems practical and must desire you to be a countess and have another earldom and barony added to her grandchildren.  And, perhaps as importantly, he added with humor, I have no mother of my own, so she might see the advantage of being a powerful parent to us both."  Mother-in-laws had an easier time when there was no man's own mother to stand in the way.

As for his wards, he represented "Abigail will say nothing.  Frances did not my first wife, but then, there was not much to like.   I think she will like you," he predicted.

Susan frowned at the idea about getting Catherine married first.  Charles cleared his throat and looked embarrassed.  "I am not saying someone would do it, but what if Charles Sedley, or some lord or lady stood up in church and objected to our wedding.  They could say that Catherine Sedley is a unmarried lady and that I likely fathered a child with her and, as a gentleman, I should do the honorable thing and marry her instead of you."  He whispered the obvious "it would embarrass us both greatly and there might be other grumbles to support it.  If she was already married when our banns are read, no one could object."  He disliked discussing something so crass relating to such a lovely topic.  He was very worried that Darlene might stand up and object. "I apologize for the shadow I have caused us.  I assure you, for what it is worth, that there were no promises or expectations of marriage with Miss Sedley.  Had I promised, or had she presumed it, I would have made good.  No, it is best to remove her threat by finding a husband for her quietly, if she is willing. " Maybe the banns could be read in a church in Cornwall and Wales, rather than London.  No one would dare object there.

Susan doubted that her mother or eldest brother would even consider a gentlemen who was not at least an Earl. Maybe they had hoped that a Duke or Marquess would ask for her hand. As a child, she had dreamed of marrying a Duke or even a foreign Prince, but now she wanted nothing more than to be the Countess of Langdon. Even if a higher ranking gentleman wished to marry her now, she would turn him down.

Another thing she had not known about Charles was that his mother had passed away. “Oh, I’m sorry,” she whispered. She wondered if his mother had died  while he was a child or more recently. “But you are most likely right. My lady mother would see her as competition. I wish I would have had the chance to meet her, though. And your father too.”

Susan hoped that his wards liked her as well. If they didn’t, she and Charles would come up with a solution. As the youngest member of her family, she didn’t have much experience with children. Maybe Frances would stay at school until she was of marriageable age, especially if she resented her guardian’s new wife. If her own mother died and her father had remarried, it would have been difficult for her to accept a new stepmother. But as Frances had not been fond of his first wife, maybe she would see Susan as an improvement.

Charles’ explanation as to why he wanted Mistress Sedley married made perfect sense. If anyone objected to their marriage, her family would most likely dissolve the betrothal on the spot and Charles might not live to see another day if Philip was present at the time. He also assured her that his former mistress had never expected him to marry her and he wouldn’t be here with Susan now if she had. Still, they had a child together, and her father might think they should wed.

“I never thought of that,” she said. “I don’t think that she should marry your brother, though. I'm not sure my family would understand.   Are you going to tell her about us? Maybe she will want you to be happy and will agree to marry before the banns are read. Perhaps there is another gentlemen she would rather spend the rest of her life with.” As an attempt at levity, she added: “Or she could convince her father that she wouldn’t marry you if you were the last man on earth.”

Susan was uncomfortable with the idea of Catherine marrying Bradley.  Charles could understand why she might object emotionally, but there was perfect sense behind it too.

"Miss Sedley has a mind of her own.  No one can tell her what to do, not even her famous father.  They are at odds about most things these days.  She does not have a desire to marry, preferring libertine ways, so she will need to be coaxed."  This was an odd conversation to have with a lady one courted, but it was essential to discuss.  "My brother Bradley is rather keen on her."  Left unsaid was that Bradley was more keen on Dorothea.  That was impossible, and the point had been made to him sternly.  Fortunately, Bradley had seemed to cease his pursuit of the impossible.  "Miss Sedley likes him.  The best selling point is that he is willing to adopt the child and claim it is his, at least he has told me so.  The child is likely his nephew, so it is good that the boy will have a father that is his blood.  It may convince Miss Sedley to go along with the marriage.  Our son will be with my brother and legitimized.  Bradley does not seem troubled by her sordid past."  The wealth he would gain was a tonic for that.

"I have yet to speak to Miss Sedley of these plans.  I may need to travel to London to see her.  I must inform her that the affair is over and that she should consider her position and that of her child.  She suspects it already as I have had no dealings with her other than to see to the health of her and the boy." He paused at the callousness of the remark, but he knew he could show no affection for Catherine or Susan would forever suspect that he was cheating with her in the future.  "I apologize again for all the heartbreak of such awkwardness, but I wanted to open and honest with you about this scandal of mine.  I shall deal with the matter as humanely as possible for all parties, and it shall open the door to our marriage, which shall be more than worth the angst that you and I experience in the coming weeks and months," he pledged.  "One happy day, we might even laugh about it."

Charles seemed to have it all worked out. Susan didn’t have the heart to tell him that he had failed to take into account one important aspect of his plan: how his future wife would feel about having his former mistress as a sister-in-law and calling his illegitimate son her nephew. Seeing his son would be especially difficult if she could not give him an heir, or even any children at all. Susan didn’t think she would have trouble having children, but the possibility existed until she held their baby in her arms. Whatever the case, family gatherings would be awkward and distressing.

Not to mention the fact that her family would not condone it. If Mistress Sedley married his brother, his suit would be rejected and Philip would probably kill him. Neither she nor Charles wanted anything to stand in the way of their marriage. Perhaps this was a matter that Susan would have to take in her own hands, as Charles seemed unwilling to listen to reason. Whatever she decided to do about it, she was certain that he would thank her when she told him what she’d done years after their marriage. And they would, indeed, laugh about the tragedy that she had prevented.

Or maybe Mistress Sedley would outright refuse to marry his brother and the problem would be solved.

“I understand,” Susan reassured him, squeezing his arm lightly. “You are taking responsibility for your past mistakes. Even my lady mother will be impressed by that. I am also glad that you are telling me about them rather than hiding them from me.” She smiled teasingly. “Are there any more skeletons in your closet? Aside from the one we found in the secret room?"

It was nice having a lady that had confidence in him.  Once he had explained the rationale for Catherine to marry Bradley, Susan could voice no objection.  "Thank you."  He would travel to London later in the week to meet with Catherine and get everything tied up in a bow.

As for more skeletons, he dared not mention Darlene.  Had he not alluded to other matches in the making?  Surely he must have said something that would give him a fig leaf to claim that he had not been dishonest in hiding possible scandals.  At least Darlene was a widow.  As for Davina, that must never be known.  Fiona was nothing more than a fling.  Surely every gentleman was guilty of that.

He needed to keep the mood light.  "Perhaps my greatest skeleton is ... that I believe in ghosts."  He feigned seriousness.  "And a lady that holds my happiness in her hands, shares that belief I think.  The court would think me a looney.  I trust you can keep this in confidence," he added with a smile.  

Susan could tell that Charles believed she had accepted his plans to marry his former mistress to his brother. Perhaps she should object, but that might start an argument between them, and her mother was only a few steps away and would be able to tell that something was wrong. And that would spell the end of their potential courtship. Perhaps at another time, when they had more privacy, she would bring it up. Everything would work out for the best as long as he was beside her. She knew it would.

She laughed. “I think I can keep that secret since I would be laughed out of court with you if anybody knew of our strange beliefs. But at least we would still be together.”

Her eyes lit up. “Do you think we should tell the Lion when we go back to London? I think it would cheer him up. He has so little to be happy about. Or maybe it would just make him sadder because he is still not with his Swan.”

Charles laughed at her good humor, ignorant of the battle brewing over Catherine Sedley.  Everything seemed to be going swimmingly.

"Yes, I would love to tell the Lion together when back in London," though his enthusiasm was dampened by recalling the strictures they were under.  "I am not to slip away with you alone anymore, if you remember.  Maybe when we are betrothed they will let us be free," he offered, thinking that a betrothal was a contract of marriage and allowed more private time without questions asked.  "Maybe I will need to tell him alone, but I should like to know where to take his bones to be united with the Swan."  Susan claimed to have new information in that regard.

"Or, we wait until we are married and go see him together, and let him preside over our kissing," Charles laughed.  "Maybe he will take credit for bringing us together.  One ancient love story gives rise to a modern one," he offered hopefully.