JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

An Unexpected Visitor | Friday September 16th, late afternoon

Sophia de la Cerda

The Toledo Residence

Though she hated to admit it, Sophia was exhausted after her shopping trip with Darlene. After changing into a more comfortable gown, she took her sketchbook to the drawing room and instructed her servants to bring a bowl of fruit. She often munched on fruit between meals, but that was not the reason she wanted it. When it arrived, she sat it upon a table that had been moved in front of the pastel brocade chaise lounge she usually rested on. She added a pretty porcelain vase that contained a single red rose and then arranged both items in a pleasing way.

When she was done, she relined upon the chaise and began to sketch, allowing her thoughts to roam free until they were interrupted by a knock on the front door. Sophia was not expecting any visitors and figured that Esteban had invited over one of his acquaintances to discuss business. It was a rather common occurrence. An Ambassador’s work was never done.

Only a few minutes later, she heard footsteps approaching the drawing room. Lifting her charcoal from her sketchpad, she looked toward the door just as the butler entered with her former guardian. She had been wanting to speak to him since last season, but the chance had never arisen. A bright smile lit up her features as she painstakingly rose and crossed the room. “Lord Kingston!” she exclaimed. “What a lovely surprise!”

Edited by Sophia de la Cerda

Feeling more himself after his brief sojourn in the chapel to gather his thoughts, he made his way into Windsor town. It was familiar and comfortable to him, more so than courtiers shoved into castles. He had decided that a visit to Sophia was in order. He had not checked the now Lady Toledo in some time, and she had never just been a duty to him as his ward; he owed her father for helping his grandfather when they were in exile and that family loyalty was never discharged. 

He knocked at the door and was greeted by a servant who took his hat and cloak. Underneath he was in a pale lavender and silver brocade justacorps over a dark, slate blue waistcoat. 

The servant led him to the drawing room where a very large Sophia rose to greet him.

"I hope I am not interrupting your repose," he said in return. He looked at her as she came toward him. "I fear that being in the north of England seeing to the duties of His Grace's Lord Lieutenancy, I have missed much in changes. It seems the baby is now almost ready to arrive."

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Kingston truly was a welcome sight and his presence dispelled her fear that he wanted nothing more to do with her now that his duty to her had been done. Even though the bond between their families ran deep, Sophia had not been a model ward and had caused him so much trouble that he had probably regretted agreeing to her father’s dying wish. And he had a life of his own. Eventually he would marry some lucky young lady and have children. With any luck, they would be better behaved than she had ever been.

As she reached him, she held up her hand to be kissed. “A visit from you is never an interruption, my lord. I confessed I have missed you. His Grace must trust you implicitly to allow you to handle his affairs in the North. The two of you seemed inseparable last season. I am surprised that you have enough time to serve both him and the King.”

She placed one hand on her baby bump. “It looks that way, but I still have two months to go. I fear I will be bedridden before I am due. Oh, but where are my manners? Come in and have a seat.” There were two richly upholstered chairs on either side of the chaise. “Would you like me to send for refreshments?”

Francis kissed her hand when she offered it. 

"Is Lord Toledo here? I would like to give my congratulations and well-wished to him too," Francis asked, making sure the servant was present to hear the question. He did not wish to be seen to want to be alone with her or there when Toledo was not in some purposeful way.

He sat down in the chair by the foot of the chaise rather than the top. With the way things were, he was intimately aware of appearances and wished to maintain a proper distance.

"Kings and dukes have grand expectations, so my time is not as much my own as it has been in the past. I have duties to both that cannot be put second to anything. It is not lack of desire to see and check up on you. I take your father's legacy and goodwill toward my family very seriously," he added. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked. Then he commented, "It is best for the child to make sure that you rest. I know that must be difficult for you." He smiled. She had never been one for patience or lack of activity. "You do not wish to risk your own life, either, for complications with pregnancies can be dire, so do take care of yourself." 

“My lord husband does not spend much time at home during the day. His duties take him elsewhere. I haven’t seen him much since he became an Ambassador. It is a very demanding job. He may come home while you are here. If he does not, I shall convey your congratulations to him. Or you can speak to him at the next court event."

Pushing her sketchbook and charcoal aside, Sophia sat down on the chaise but did not recline upon it, as it did not seem proper to lie down in the company of a gentleman, even if she was heavily pregnant and the gentleman in question was like a brother to her. When she first arrived in England, she cared nothing for propriety, but much had changed since then.

“I understand completely. You are quite fortunate to be in such an enviable position.” She smiled impishly. “I always knew you would make a splash at court.” Sophia had read those broadsheets and believed that jealousy had been the motivation behind all those terrible and quite ridiculous lies.

Francis asked how she was doing and she barely suppressed an eye roll when he spoke of resting. “No matter how hard I find sitting still for long periods of time, I would never do anything to harm this baby or myself. I do go on walks frequently because the baby kicks a lot and I think the cadence of my footsteps calm him as much, or perhaps more, than my singing.”

She sighed. “My views on pregnancy are not the same as the average Englishwoman’s, but that is inevitable when you grow up in a different culture. We Germans are a sturdy and practical lot. You would not believe all the superstitions they have over here. If I heeded them, I would be covered in goo and smelling like pee.” Sophia laughed. “No wonder Englishwomen go into confinement.  Nobody can stand to be around them."

There was a matter she wished to discuss with Francis, but that could wait for a bit. She wasn’t even sure how to bring it up. “Congratulations on your new title, by the way. When we first arrived, I don’t think either us expected to rise in status in only a year. I don’t know that I deserve it, but you certainly do.”

"I am not certain what sort of a splash I am making right now."

Francis listened carefully to what Sophia said about the baby. He did not know much about such matters. Only what most men knew. At some point there should be a lying in, and his former ward was very large. Thankfully, such was not his problem any more. He had shared his care for both of their health and that was far more than enough.

"Do not forget, that it does not matter that you are German, now, my lady. You are married to a Spanish lord and living in England. Those are the customs you will be judged by, as I am sure you know," he said gently with a chuckle and a smile. "Though, I have no idea what good goo and pee would do."

As to his title, it would be more felicitous if it did not accompany slanderous writings and gossip.

"I thank you, truly, and I am glad that you think so. I surely never thought to ever have such fortune let alone this sort of fortune in just short of two years. And you deserve a happy life, so I am grateful you are content with your match. It was your choice that achieved it, if you recall." 

“You are making a good splash,” Sophia assured him. “Those lies that are being printed about you are trying to ruin it. His Majesty, Lord Buckingham, and all the courtiers you have impressed know that you are a fine and upstanding gentleman. And your friends will always support you. Anyone with more than one brain cell will know those broadsheets for what they are … inane drivel spouted by men who are jealous of you. Pay them no attention. Sometimes silence is the best reaction.”

Francis had advice for her too. “I am trying, but I will not go against my instincts. No matter what the English say, walking my puppy and monkey daily will do no more harm to the baby than lying still in bed. In fact, it is probably healthier. Maybe I am so large because the baby thriving by getting fresh air.”

Sophia’s smile remained steady. She would not tell Lord Kingston that her marriage was not as happy as he believed it to be. “You could have refused me. I was almost sure you would.” She leaned toward him. “You seemed to want me to wed an Englishman. Why did you finally agree, if you don’t mind my asking?”

Francis raised a delicate blond brow at her question

"I did attempt to refuse you, and I did not wish you to marry someone foreign to England or Germany," he said, honestly. "As a matter of honor, I had to speak to the Duke of Cumberland about the marriage to Toledo, for his assent. I did not feel I could make such a judgement on my own."

He contemplated whether to tell her the entire truth of his reasoning. He rubbed his lips together.

"You did not wish any of the Englishmen who expressed interest and were of a rank to merit a betrothal...and I was afraid you would dishonour yourself before you could be married and then be excluded from society altogether. I did not wish to see such a thing happen. Not residing with me, I had little way of control over you. Doolittle clearly did not understand the customs of the nobility enough to keep you safe from your own adventurousness and teach you self-control." He offered a nod and a sigh. "That reasoning and Cumberland's assent was why I relented in my own desires and what I thought would be your lord father's desires for your match. But Lord Toledo has been elevated since then and is an honorable and influential man."

Sophia listened to Francis’ explanation. So it was the Duke of Cumberland’s opinion that had prompted his consent. Being foreign himself, he would not be against a foreign match. She would have to thank him when she next saw him. Or perhaps it was better to let it go. He had probably forgotten all about the young German singer who had wanted to marry a Spaniard.

As Francis continued, she felt regret that she had caused him so much trouble, but her remorse was quickly eclipsed by anger. Had he really believed that she was so wanton that she would just throw away her most precious gift without a single thought? Did he think she was that stupid? Or that a spanking would set her straight?

Yes, she had freely bestowed her virginity upon her beloved Prince, but they were in love and he had offered her marriage with one of his associates that enabled them to still see each other. Sophia would have rather married Juan, but that would have put her in danger and she would have had to stay in Spain.

When her former guardian finished speaking, she sat for a few moments in silence and then got up and began to pace. “My father sent me to England because the King had married a German and he thought that other high-ranking nobles would follow his lead. He didn’t want me to marry lower than an Earl.” That was what he had told her on her deathbed, anyway.  In case any servants were listening, she didn't mention the scandal she had caused in Venice, which was also one of the reasons he had sent her away.

“He would have refused those Englishmen who were interested in me. None of them had a title and nor did they possess great wealth or influence. As far as I know, they still don’t. And one of them …” She stopped and faced Francis, her eyes spitting ice-blue fire. “One of them almost killed me!”

Sophia resumed her pacing. Her hormones were even in more of an uproar than they had been when she was a maiden. “The only gentleman I truly wanted was not allowed to court me.” She was speaking of Douglas, whom she still loved and probably always would. “I loathed living with the Doolittles. Mistress Ellen and I fought constantly. I don’t think you knew how unhappy I was. I had to take matters into my own hands, and I saw both ambition and intelligence in Lord Toledo’s eyes. That was why I chose him.” How easily the lies flowed from her lips.

As suddenly as it had come, her fury disappeared and she slumped back into her chair. “I am sorry, my lord. I should not have said those things. I know I was not a perfect ward, and that I caused you much grief. I don’t blame you for wanting to rid yourself of me.” She lowered her head humbly. “Please forgive me for ruining nearly a year of your life. You deserved much better than that.”

Cumberland had been not fond of a foreign match but the greater issue was the lady's propensity for trouble. Running off with Dundarg had meant she could not be trusted with her honor, because appearances were everything. Kissing bastards was not a way to win an earl or greater. So they had settled for Toledo. 

Had he known what she was thinking, and had she not been pregnant, he would have reminded her that fucking was not essential for losing one's honor and being unmarriageable to the higher peers or their sons, but he could not know her anger and her condition would have been too delicate anyway.

"I am well-aware of what your father wanted, my lady, and I would have waited for the appropriate gentleman, but you were not eager to wait and were eager to flirt with disaster. And I had no say in the Doolittles involvement as you are aware, and we do not always get a say over every aspect of our lives and must do as duty dictates. That is not a condition limited to women." There were also things gentlemen had to consider. Duties that were not savory. Situations which one did not like. "I did make sure you could stay with my lady mother."

Then her rage subsided. He felt a bit badly for giving her, perhaps, a bit too much truth. She was not a little girl anymore. She had asked. But pregnancy was a delicate thing.

"You caused yourself much grief and that, in turn, caused mine. I had little control with you not living with me, and Doolittle was not up to the task. I was afraid for you, and afraid of not doing well by your father for what he had asked of me. It was not just your youth in my keeping but all of your future life and happiness. You did not ruin a year of my life, Sophia, and I did not want rid of you. I was simply a poor substitute for a father and a man of more experience in such matters, with young ladies; taking care of someone else's child is not an easy task. I have done it now twice, and I am not even thirty yet. I hope you are not that displeased with me?"

After her outburst, Sophia wouldn’t have blamed Lord Kingston for storming out of the house and never speaking to her again. But he remained seated and revealed a few things that she had never known. She had assumed that he was willing to pawn her off on the first gentleman who came along in order to get rid of her, even if that gentleman would not have been suitable in her father’s eyes. Her father had wanted only the best for his beloved only daughter and would never have considered any of those men that he had introduced her to at any of the events during her court debut.

Now she discovered that Francis had planned to wait for a loftier suitor to show interest in her. Had he simply been using those low-ranking gentlemen to make her look like a desirable match? Men always wanted what they couldn’t have and if she had been surrounded by male admirers who all wanted to marry her, she might appeal to an Earl … or even a Duke, though most of those were either married or much too old for her. So is Juan, and I love him to distraction.

There was no excuse for her poor behavior. She could try to convince herself that she had been trying to forget the grief of her father’s passing, or that she hadn't understood the rules of English society, but Sophia knew that her years in Venice had made her a bit wild and she had been too young and stupid to realize that she couldn’t get away with the sort of mischief she had caused in Venice while pretending to be an opera singer. Now she saw the error of her ways.

Poor dear Francis, having to deal with a recalcitrant child who wasn't even his.

“I wished I could have lived with your lady mother instead of the Doolittles. I was happy when I stayed with her. She could also have given me guidance. I never had a maternal figure in my life. My stepmother was more like a friend. And yes, I know that gentlemen cannot always do as they please. But they have more freedom than ladies, who must obey their fathers or guardians.”

Sophia smiled wryly. “I was never good at obedience, and I should have made more of an effort. I was going through a lot then … losing my father, moving to a country where I barely spoke the language, living with strangers who resented my presence. I was self-absorbed, and for that, too, I am sorry.”

She could hardly believe that he apologized to her for being a poor guardian. Her ice-blue eyes widened as she listened. She had believed at one point that Francis never intended to follow her father’s wishes … he had been dead, after all ... now she understood how seriously he had taken them. He had felt that he held her future happiness in his hands. And how awful she had been to him! Instead of a meek young lady, she had been a little whirlwind of trouble.

If she had been close enough, Sophia would have reached over and squeezed Francis’ hand. “How could I ever be displeased with you? You were good to me, and I felt that you cared for me much more than Sir Cedric did. I always came fourth with him and I think he resented me because I was more beautiful and popular than his own daughters. I know now that I was not easy to handle, and if this child I carry gives me as many problems as I gave you ….” She chuckled. “Then you will have your revenge.”

She grinned. “And you did ensure that I was happy by allowing me to marry Lord Toledo. He is now a Conde and an Ambassador. That definitely counts as a ‘big man.’” She had used that phrase to describe a gentleman who was an Earl or higher when she was learning to speak English.

“So, tell me. Were you using those other gentlemen as bait so that I would seem popular and attract an Earl? Oh, and should I become Catholic?”

• 2 weeks later...

Francis snorted with amusement at Sophia's perspective. She had been sixteen when she had come to England with him, and she thought that girls had to obey their fathers or guardians. Precisely what had she thought he had gotten to do at sixteen? 

"Yes, oh so very much freedom sixteen-year-old boys have. Before I went to war at that age, I got birched on the regular by my grandfather, who didn't tolerate any recalcitrance, and I promise service on a ship had little freedoms either. There might be a few things boys can do that girls cannot at that age, but do not think it is full of freedoms. Do you think I let Tommy do whatever he pleases?" He chuckled. He very much did not let Tom be master of himself at age sixteen!

"You need not be sorry, but I appreciate the sentiment." He smiled, "I do not need any revenge, but perhaps you will gain some understanding when you are raising a child." 

His chuckle lingered a good long time as she said "big man" as she used to. Her English had been rather hilarious back then. He could not say much because his German had been more hilarious and still was not as fluent as her English. 

"No, I------. Wait, what?"

Sophia was aware that boys were treated more harshly than girls. Her father had told her some stories from his own childhood and she had heard others from her friends. “I think that boys are not held to such strict standards. They are expected to acquire experiences that will serve them well in adulthood. Girls must always be demure and innocent of the ways of the world.” She looked directly into Francis’ eyes. “So that their future husbands can easily control them. Some of us are more spirited and naturally push our limits.”

She placed on hand on her belly. “If my little one is a girl, I will teach her to think for herself. Some gentlemen, like my own lord husband, prefer their wives to have a mind of their own.” Sophia hoped that Francis didn’t ask Esteban to confirm her statement, as he probably wished she was meek and obedient. Juan, however, liked her effervescence and her sense of adventure.

Lord Kingston was understandably surprised at her question. She had not meant to ask it quite so abruptly, but sometimes she didn’t think before she spoke.

Her smile faded. “My lord husband informed me before we began courting that our children would be raised Catholic. He also told me that he wanted to become an Ambassador and a Protestant wife would be beneficial to that goal.  Now that he has what he wanted, he is pressuring me to convert. I am wondering if I should so that my children and I will share the same faith.”

Francis fought the desire to roll his eyes and snort with amusement as Sophia said it was so that their husbands could easily control them. There was such a thing as being ignorant in the way of the world and young people were oft afflicted with it. They naturally wanted to be right about everything and question the order of the world. Francis had long since grown out of that. 

There was a part of growing up where you learned your place and duties and how to fit into the world. 

Being ostracized, a social outcast, or...imprisoned, hanged, beheaded, or burned at the stake were not enjoyable alternatives to learning how to be oneself within the parameters of society. 

"Hmm, I never took Spaniards, being Catholic, as being so free with their ideals about wives, but if he is then that is a happy situation for you and any future daughters," he said. Then he added, "There are many gentlemen who like a woman of intellect but far fewer who wish a wife who will cause him social ills, there is a difference between the two. It is silly to think life is not impacted by the way that one behaves. You have seen how they gossip about me and the stories the broadsheets put out; if you think that has not hurt my life, even the suggestion of such behavior, you would be wrong." 

He did not say in meanly, but kindly, because it was not just women who had constraints on their behavior. They were different, yes, but being ruined was a real thing for a gentleman too. He was lucky that in the face of such things, the King was on his side as was Buckingham. He had enough high-placed patrons and friends to withstand it as being just rumour and an attack that had little to do with reality.

"Do you know how many ladies who were not already my friends have risked being seen with me or speaking to me? Absolutely not a one. And there are a few that are my friends who cannot risk being seen with me because they are unmarried, and I've been made into some immoral ruiner of maidens by some words and coin."

As to her crisis of faith, he gave it a few moments of consideration before he said, "That is not something someone else can tell you but a decision you must make for yourself. With a Catholic husband, it is not surprising it is expected. One's Faith is a large part of our world. We fight wars and kill people over it. One should not be asked to act according to their own conscience, though. One's life and afterlife should be within their own decision, not forced. Though I never found you to be...particularly zealous in your faith."

Francis had his own intellectual views about religion and God, but it was still important to him. Sea life was a good tutor about God, as was war.

“I know firsthand how much damage gossip can cause. Remember that ball when rumors were circulating that I was not a virgin and I got so mad that I threw a glass of wine and ruined Lord Chichester’s stockings? I lost a potential suitor whom I was very fond of because he believed those baseless lies instead of me.”

Sophia felt for Francis, being subjected to even more harmful falsehoods. Who, she wondered, was behind those scandalous lies?  How could anyone be so cruel?  She had read a few of the broadsheets and had either thrown them back at the seller or stamped them into the mud in a fit of anger. All without paying for them.  Being pregnant had its advantages.

“You are still one of His Majesty’s gentlemen, so he obviously doesn’t believe them. Or Lord Buckingham. My lord husband probably read them too and he has not forbidden me to see you.  Everyone knows that there is rarely any truth in what they print. Soon, somebody else will pay them to demean his or her enemy and everyone will forget about what was written about you.”

Sophia smiled sympathetically. “I know that doesn’t make your current situation easier to bear. Have you any idea who did it?"

Francis did not tell her whether or not she could convert, but believed that the decision should be hers alone. “You are right.  I am not very pious. I don’t see why it matters whether one is Catholic or Protestant. Both faiths worship the same God. That view won't change no matter what I call myself.  As for what else I believe, I really haven't thought too much about it. "   Sophia shrugged. “Maybe I should just go ahead and do it. Most people think I am Catholic anyway just because I’m married to a Spaniard.”

• 2 weeks later...

Francis let out a breath. He did remember that.

And she wondered why he had felt such pressure to make certain that she was married before she became damaged goods in the mind of all!

"Public opinion is oft not swayed by truth," he said simply.

"His Majesty knows they are false because he knows my character quite intimate, as does the Duke. That does not mean Lord Arlington has not had words with me that I should vacate the position to save His Majesty the shame of such a servant."

With a shrug he said, "I have suspicions. Lord Arlington has never liked me, but it could not be he alone. My cousin is a threat to many peers when in favor with His Majesty. They resent their closeness and call it license."

As to religion, Francis said, "I fear Catholics will always hold some suspicion but likely less now that His Majesty has a heir. And ladies are expected to follow their husbands, so few could fault you for it."

“I have never met Lord Arlington, but I always thought he looked a bit dodgy. I have never heard a good word said about him either. Since he doesn't like you,  he must have been involved in having those broadsheets printed. Maybe he feels threatened by your closeness to both His Majesty and His Grace and wants to get rid of you?  What I do not understand is how slandering you could hurt the Duke. If ruining him is their aim, would not they target him instead of you?”

Francis didn’t seem to think that Catholics would be actively persecuted now that there was an heir. She hoped he was right. “I am going to discuss this with a few friends, but I will probably do it. I will still attend Protestant church services, though.” She grinned. “Now I’ll get to sing at two services every week like I did when I was a child.”

Sophia titled her head to the side. “After this fiasco dies down. I think you should get married. Would you not like to have a wife and children of your own, as long as your children are nothing like me?”

Francis sighed. The weight of this season and such things being said of him and all the whispers of Charles Kirke and his own Kirke-ness were heavy upon him.

"His Grace has withstood such things plenty of times. It is expected and barely novel anymore. I am an easier target, and it is clear to most that the Duke has a fondness for me and lobbies for my advancement. By threatening that, they thwart him and hurt me, and he is not a man who enjoys being thwarted. It is likely they hope to goad him into some indiscretion by making him angry." Perhaps if Buckingham only had himself to concern over, that might have been more likely, but the two of them we inextricably tied now as was the future of the title and name. To a man like Buckingham, that power was not something to risk. 

Francis was happy enough to escape further talk of religion. He breathed easy for only a moment. Then Sophia dropped a bomb on him.

"Me? Married? What makes you say that?" He blinked. "One day I should like a wife and children, yes..." the rest that hung in the air was that there was no rush. He did not touch the comment of his children being more well-behaved than she had been. 

“If I was the person behind that slander, I would be afraid what His Grace would do to me if he found out who I was. He is close to the King and powerful in his own right. He could frame the culprit for some imaginary crime and ruin him forever. Though that would be stooping to the same level and perhaps he is beyond that. Still, whoever published those lies deserves to be punished.”

Francis seemed as surprised at this inquiry as he had been at her last. “Well, you’re not getting any younger, you know,” she jested with a mischievous smile. Sophia was aware that many gentlemen didn’t marry until they were quite a bit older than he was now. “It just seems like the next logical step to me. And I have seen the way ladies look at you at court events. I don’t think you would have any trouble finding a wife who is perfect for you. And then our children can grow up and thing of themselves as cousins … and they’ll all have gorgeous hair. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?”

• 2 weeks later...

Francis said, "I think he shall be tempted to do just that. His Grace is known for being a bad enemy to have, sometimes exacting a quick and rash revenge, but also sometimes waiting for an opportune moment, even if it takes time for him to accomplish his objective. Many have fallen at his will by various means, but with His Majesty's favor now upon him, he has a care to keep it."

The King might be the Merry Monarch, and he very much enjoyed his entertainments, but there were some areas in which His Majesty was vehement. Do not (ab)use his family, as Danby did with Monmouth, and do not use faith as a weapon, were two of the ones of most import.

"The ways the ladies look at me at court events?" he raised a blond brow. If she  was speaking of silly girls and their fans, he had very little interest in that. "And nor am I that old that I need to be in some rush, even if I wished to marry. I am not keen to give any woman or child the surname of Kirke."

He then added, "It would be wonderful, yes, but do not forget that you might very well end up in Spain one day."

• 2 weeks later...

“It makes no sense to me that anyone would dare to cross His Grace.” Sophia found the Duke quite formidable, though he had always been kind to her and was willing to help her achieve her dream of having an opera house built in London, as long as she completed the challenge he had given her. “The author of those broadsheets might be long gone by now. Perhaps he fled the country and is hiding somewhere until the effects of his slander blows over."

Francis seemed completely oblivious to the young ladies she had seen gazing at him appreciatively. Gentlemen usually were. “You are already changing the reputation of your surname by becoming a gentleman of the King and Lord Buckingham’s friend. Make it your own and soon it will be a respected and revered name at court.” Sophia knew it wasn’t as easy as she made it sound, but one couldn’t just change one’s name.

“Maybe someday, but I think we will staying in England for many more years, My lord husband is a fine Ambassador and it would be foolish to replace him. Perhaps my children will eventually be sent to Spain to be educated, but that’s far in the future.” She grinned. “By that time, I might be eager to be rid of them, especially if they turn out like me.”

(OOC:  Shall we start to wrap this one up?)