JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Tea For Three | Friday September 16th, early afternoon

Sophia de la Cerda

The Toledo Residence

The tablecloth was crooked.

Sophia sighed and walked over to the table, carefully adjusting the circular lavender cloth hemmed with lace and accented with a pretty floral pattern that she had embroidered herself. She’d never had much time for embroidery before but now that she was pregnant, she had taken it up again. Her stitches had never been perfect, but they were improving and her skills would no doubt increase the further along she became. The petite blonde spent most of her resting time reading or drawing, but sometimes she felt the need to do something different. She had discovered she enjoyed the activity more now than when she had been forced to learn as a child and she didn’t prick her fingers nearly as often as she had then.

Stepping back, she surveyed the tablecloth again. Much better. The house they had rented was already furnished, mostly in neutral shades of white and cream, but she had added her own touches to the décor. There were pastel colored pillows printed with flowers on the two couches and chairs which sat close to the fireplace on a matching rug. She had brought the pillows and the rug from her London residence, as well as some of the paintings hanging on the wall, mostly lovely landscapes brimming with flowers. The tablecloth was her own as well as the cushions on the back of the chairs on opposite sides of it. Porcelain vases on the tables had been filled with late-blooming roses from the small garden.

There was a low fire flickering in the hearth and Sophia waddled over and sat down. Lady Kendishall should be arriving soon for tea. She was elated that Caroline was marrying Lord Chichester, who was a friend of both her husband and herself. Sophia planned on inviting the two of them to dinner after they were wed, and she hoped that someday their children could play with each other occasionally. Unless Juan was adamant that his children grow up in Spain. The thought of leaving England forever was not pleasant, though she did like Madrid and it was warmer.

Unwilling to dwell on that, she picked up the book she had left on the table and began to read as she waited for Caroline to arrive.

Caroline's coach pulled up, driven by her Irish servant, he was more a bodyguard than anything else though.  She had hired the ex-continental soldier back when she had been worried about her safety given she was of French descent and probably thought a Catholic on top of it. Now publicly she attended, when she did actually go, the English church though in reality she still thought of herself as a Catholic though not a practicing one. Things had settled down since then but she kept the grizzled old soldier on even though he was hardly all that proficient a servant. He was loyal and Caroline valued loyalty in people. It was something she believed in practicing too.

She had been surprised, though it was a pleasant surprise, to get Sophia's letter of invitation. The two of them had not seen each other in a long time, Caroline figured they mayhaps were simply drifting apart for good. Sophia had her Spanish husband and was now with child too or so she had heard in court. But the letter proved Sophia was not yet prepared to let go of their friendship so Caroline took up the invitation without hesitation.

As she entered the place, her Irishman remaining outside by the carriage, Caroline looked about. The place was elegant, tasteful, like Sophia herself. Well, she could almost forgive the girl for marrying a Spaniard. A servant led her to into the room where Sophia sat. Oh yes, she was undoubtedly pregnant, that was instantly obvious.

"Well, my dear one, it has been a long time!" Caroline smiled as the servant quietly faded away behind her.

Hearing two sets of footsteps in the hallway, Sophia sat her book on the table beside the couch she sat on. By the time the butler ushered Caroline in, she was on her feet, smiling warmly at her friend. Waddling forward, she took both her hands and kissed the air by each of her cheeks.

“Much too long,” the young blonde exclaimed. “I am so pleased you had time to see me today. You must be quite occupied with planning your wedding. I am so excited for you. Lord Chichester is a good man and I’m sure he will make you happy.

“When did … Ohh!” Sophia flinched as the baby punched her particularly hard. Dropping Caroline’s hands, gently pat her expanding belly, hoping to calm him down. “I think the baby just reminded me that I am talking too much.”

Edited by Sophia de la Cerda

• 2 weeks later...

Caroline looked alarmed, she was not used to being around pregnant women, having never had younger siblings.

"You alright? Please sit and hopefully the little one will settle down then too," Caroline would then sit when Sophia did the same.

"Thank you about George. It came on quite suddenly. He visited me one day to ask advice about another matter, wanting a female opinon - which let us face it, men seldom do," she smiled.

"I was frank, I even confronted him about his past where he walked over you when you fainted that time," Caroline paused just a second but then did not go into further detail, no need to, Sophia certainly knew what she was referring to.

"He surprised me. His answer seemed most sincere, at least I definitely believed it. And from then on, we hit it off. Things moved fast, very fast. And then he took a chance and I surprised him..........well and myself too. I said 'yes'.  Neither of us have hesitated since then. I will freely admit, Sophia, I never thought I would marry again. But now, I am very happy and excited."

The baby was usually calmer when she was active, but Sophia didn’t want to worry Caroline.  Walking over to the table, she sat down in one of the chairs. She nodded to the servant standing nearby and she disappeared to fetch the tea and refreshments.

She listened intently to Caroline’s story. Considering what she knew of him, it didn’t seem odd at all for Lord Chichester to ask for a female opinion. She could not help flinching when her friend mentioned that incident at the gazebo last year. If asked, she would say it was the baby kicking again, though he was not moving much at the moment.

Sophia could not remember telling her about that. Had Lord Chichester told her? Or Master Cole? The composer had been acquainted with Caroline too. Did she know the reason he had walked away, or that he’d had a hallucination about killing his fiancee and asked his girlfriend to dig her up? Did she know that both gentlemen had fancied the same lady and that was what had started the entire fiasco? Had the elegant Earl confessed everything to Caroline that day?

“I confess I remember little about what happened,” Sophia lied. “I was unconscious on the gazebo floor most of the time.” That story was not hers to tell, and she assumed that Lord Chichester had answered truthfully. At least something good had come of that unfortunate incident. Two of her dear friends had realized they had feelings for each other and now they were going to be married. She wished she knew where Lucas was so that she could write him with the good news.

“You both deserve all the happiness in the world. Lord Chichester went through a bad time last year. I tried to help him as much as I could, but I sensed that he needed more than I was able to give him. I am glad that he found what he needed with you.”

She grinned. “Would you like somebody to sing at your wedding? I can probably perform only one song in this condition, but I would be happy to do so. I still practice singing every day.”

Caroline smiled, "Well, people who have fainted probably do not know what transpired while they lie there unconscious. So quite understandable."

Sophia had a lot of sympathy for George, declaring he had had a rough past year. Caroline still did not know a lot of the details and for now was not going to pry into it. If George wished to someday share more, fair enough. If he wished to keep it in the past, also fair enough. She too had skeletons in her closet. Her deceased husband almost literally!

"Well, I hope I am what he needs and that it all turns out for the best. My first marriage was a disaster. I want this one to work," she opined.

Then it was on to the near future, Sophia offering to sing at their wedding. In truth Caroline had not even thought about such things as music for it. It's not like she had much experience with weddings. Her first marriage had been rushed and almost a private affair in a small rural church.

"Why yes, I would like that....I'd like that very much. One song, two songs, I will take whatever you can provide, I know you will sound heavenly. You always do."

"Oh and perhaps this season you and I should do some sort of duet again. I feel badly I did not play much at all last season," Caroline added.

All Sophia knew about Caroline’s first husband was that he was dead. Though curious, she didn’t ask why her first marriage was so awful. If she wanted to volunteer the information, she would do so, but the petite blonde doubted she would. She had a second chance at happiness. Why dredge up bad memories of the past?

Sophia was too compassionate to wish for another’s death, but she often wondered if she would be better off if Esteban was no longer in her life. As a widow, she would no longer be watched all the time and have the freedom to do as she pleased. She had even dreamed of Esteban's demise a few times and had felt guilty because she had awakened with a smile on her face.

“It will work out. The two of you are perfect for each other.” Sophia grinned. “Just don’t mind me if I turn green with envy every now and then. My own marriage is … complicated.” Should I tell her that I suspect the baby is not Esteban’s? She might understand and even help me find a solution that will fool a Spaniard, since she hates them so much. Or she could hate her for betraying her future husband’s friend.

The sheer joy of being able to sing again eclipsed her fear of the future, at least temporarily. Her predicament was never far from her mind. Esteban had told her that she should wait to be asked to sing, but she saw nothing wrong with suggesting it herself. “Thank you. It is the least I can do to help you celebrate the beginning of your life with Lord Chichester.”

Caroline mentioned a duet and Sophia leaned over the table. “I’m one step ahead of you. At the reception shortly after you left us, I thought that it would be nice to present Her Majesty with a short concert. She likes music and she will most likely appreciate our thoughtfulness. We could even play and sing for the baby. What do you think?”

Sophia was confident that she would have a successful marriage with George, that they were perfect for each other. Caroline was not so confident as that but she was optimistic. They did not even know each other all that well to be labeled a perfect match.

"Glad you think so," she smiled.

"Your marriage is complicated? Not certain what all that entails," Caroline left the other woman an opening to amplify without pressuring her to. Heaven knows they all had secrets did they not?

Sophia was then pleased when she got the go ahead to perform at the wedding. But then she mentioned another possible opportunity and this for a duet. They could perhaps entertain the Queen and the baby. Caroline highly doubted an infant would appreciate any such thing but it was more important the Queen would.

"If you wish to arrange it, hopefully I can accompany you then. Depending when of course," Caroline nodded.

Sophia had always been an optimistic young lady, seeing the best in everything and everybody. It was only recently that her positivism had waned, for there seemed to be no way to get out of the hole she had dug herself into. Sometimes she was certain that everything would work out and at others, she felt that her life would soon change for the worst. She was more pessimistic during the night, which might be the cause of those horrible nightmares.

Caroline, though, would find her happily-ever-after with Lord Chichester. At least one of them would have a happy ending.

“I will make some inquiries and see if I can set something up.” Writing Lady Mountjoy would probably be the best way to go about it, as she was in charge of Her Majesty's household.

She had not answered Caroline’s question because she wasn’t certain whether or not to reveal the truth. “As for my marriage ...” Sophia paused and bit her lip pensively. “Just how much do you hate Spaniards, Caroline? Would you approve of tricking one, even though he is a friend of your future husband?”

• 3 weeks later...

"Excellent!  You do that then. And let me know. If at all possible I will do my best to be able to accompany you. Unless my husband to be forbids," Caroline nodded then grinned, "But not if he knows what's good for him."

Caroline did take note too that Sophia avoided answering that...perhaps very loaded question though she felt it a fair one given what the other woman had hinted at. Still she would not push it. But in a way Sophia circled back to it...or at least to the Spanish. Tricking one? Strange ....

"Well, my father is the one who truly despises them. He fought them on the continent you see and I too recall an incident..no that is too gentle a word for it. A massacre of prisoners done by some troops in service of Spain. Their commander was actually Spanish though most of the men were probably the usual mix of every sort. You know how these constant wars go. I would rather not go into the details...especially what with you in your delicate state now. But it left a mark on me, as still a child. This was of course before my parents came to England."

"But enough of old history, tell me more about this trick you are thinking about? I admit I am fascinated," she smiled.

ooc: Sorry lost track of this one !

“I’m sure you will be able to keep him in line,” Sophia grinned, “but I doubt Lord Chichester will protest to your performing. He is artistic himself, after all. And I think I have a better idea. I will see if I can arrange for us to perform at the christening, if you agree.”

Caroline explained the origin of her hatred of Spaniards. The petite singer surmised that the Spaniards told similar stories about the French. Soldiers were tortured and massacred on both sides during a war. She wondered which one her friend was talking about but there had been so many wars in her lifetime that it was impossible to keep track of them all.

The more she thought about it, the more Sophia believed it was unfair to burden her friend with the uncertainty of her baby’s paternity less than a week away from her wedding to her husband’s good friend. Caroline would have to hide the fact that Esteban was being cuckolded by his own wife and that the child Sophia carried probably didn’t have a drop of Spanish blood in its veins. What if Lord Chichester could tell she was concealing something? Sophia’s secret could ruin their marriage before it even began.

But there was another secret she could tell. “My husband uses my bodyguard to spy on me. For some reason, he doesn’t trust me. I want to get rid of the bodyguard.  I mentioned the problem to Lord Chatham and he suggested that I ask some of my friends to say he leers at them and they feel uncomfortable in his presence. If my husband hears about it, maybe he will be tricked into dismissing him.  Do you think it will work?"

Caroline hoped the other woman would share more about whatever this trick was going to be. Sofia decided to explain further.

And interesting, her husband was spying on her? Well, using one of his bodyguards to do so. Or.........there could be another explanation. Maybe the man was just trying to protect his pregnant wife? Sophia thought it was more than that though obviously and Caroline was not going to toss in her mayhaps controversial take on it.

Lord Chatham's mention brought a reflexive smile to Caroline, her raunchy and oft hilarious old friend. Her Minister of Evil.

"Well, he is a clever man, Chaham. And a man I trust. It could just work?" she pondered it more for a few seconds.

"Would you like me to be one of those going to your husband to complain about this leering devil?" she smiled.

Sophia noticed the way Caroline smiled when she mentioned Charles. She wondered if her friend had succumbed to his charms as well. It would be difficult for any lady to resist him. She wasn’t the least bit jealous, as it would be unfair of her to ask him to be faithful to her when she was married and could not do the same. The petite blonde hoped that of all his lovers, she was the one he preferred, for she cared for her darling Eros deeply.

“I trust him as well, and I figured that he would have a brilliant solution. He never disappoints.”

The tea and refreshments arrived. She had bought some sweets from the bakery which, along with contributions from her cook, were arranged on a silver tray. Sophia poured the tea herself, handing Caroline a pretty porcelain cup painted with pastel flowers that matched the teapot and the bowls of cream and sugar that accompanied it.

“If you don’t think it will harm your relationship with Lord Chichester, I would be grateful. Your marriage is more important than helping me get my bodyguard dismissed.”

If Esteban’s friend complained about Karl leering at his wife, then he would certainty take action, but it was probably better if Lord Chichester was left out of it …. unless Sophia told him that Karl was leering at her without any mention of Caroline. She didn’t want to ruin the friendship between the two gentlemen either.

Caroline nodded at Sophia's opinion of Audley, "Yes, he never disappointed me either. A fine fellow."

There was a momentary pause in the conversation as refreshments were served. Caroline added both cream and sugar to the tea. Now if there had been liquor she would have added that too,  "Thank you."

She had volunteered to assist the other woman in her clever plot but while Sophia was pleased to hear it she wondered if it might not bring some contention with her and George. Interesting.

"Nonsense. What kind of a friend would I be if I did not help you?  To me the real truth of a friendship is if that friend steps forward in the hard times not just basks with you in the good. This may shock you, Sophia dear, but I am actually quite a good liar when I want to be," she grinned.

Unfortunately, there was no liquor offered. Sophia had never thought of putting it in tea and nobody she had visited had done so in her presence. In many ways, she was still naive.

She was pleased that Caroline agreed to assist her in having Karl dismissed. The imbecile needed to go, especially after he had interrupted her conversation with Henry this morning. He should have stayed out in the hallway as he usually did. Had Esteban told him to barge in on her when she was alone in a room with a gentleman? Did he not trust her even while she was pregnant?

“I see friendship the same way. I stick with my friends through thick and thin, and would do almost anything for them.”

Caroline’s declaration caused her to gasp mock-melodramatically and place her hand over her heart. “You are?” she asked, her eyes widening but sparkling with mischief. “It does not surprise me. I lie quite well myself. Feel free to tell anyone you wish that my bodyguard leers at you. Hopefully, my lord husband will hear of it.”

Sophia took a sip of tea. “And if there is anything I can do for you in return, just let me know."

It seemed Caroline's revelation that she could indeed lie quite convincingly brought some (fake) disbelief from Sophia who then admitted her own talents in fabricating untruths. Both of them were quite amused at the turn the conversation had suddenly taken. 

However back to the matter at hand, Caroline declared, " I will certainly tell all and sundry about this sad excuse for Sophia's bodyguard and how he leered at me. The man was far too forward for one of his station. Any English husband would never tolerate such a fellow in his wife's company, guard or not. Why it must be her Spanish husband is unaware."

She was practicing her outrage and could do quite an acting job of it too.

Sophia in return promised to return the favor in some way, at some time in the future.

"Ahhh, I did not ask for any such turn about but since you have offered, I will certainly keep it in mind. Who knows, someday I may have need of a good and loyal friend such as yourself," Caroline nodded.

Sophia laughed. “Your acting skills are splendid. That all sounds great, just please don’t malign my lord husband in the process. Spaniards value honor above all else, and if he finds out that you insulted him, he will forbid me to see you anymore. It might also have a negative effect on his friendship with Lord Chichester.” She hoped that this warning didn’t change Caroline’s mind. “Of course, he might never find out it was you, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.”

She took another sip of tea. “I am here for you, whenever you need me. And I will happily give you advice when you are with child. Perhaps our children will grow up as friends. Hopefully, they will get along better than Lord Chichester and I during my first season at court."

She laughed again, remembering that fateful ball. “Would you like to hear a funny story about your future husband?” she asked Caroline.

"Well, you certainly must realize I do not like your husband. But nothing personal. I, like my father, despise Spaniards on principle. And no, due to my friendship with you, I will never insult him or impugn his honor," Caroline was blunt but also reassuring - she hoped!

"However, if I am to complain about his Karl, I doubt I can remain anonymous, you realize? "  Sophia was not going to be able to have it both ways.

"Advice huh? Based on all the children you have had already?" Caroline grinned.

"But that would be nice if our children someday were good friends like we have been...and are," Caroline nodded.

Sophia seemed amused by a past memory and then wondered if Caroline would like to hear a funny tale relating to George. Easy one to answer.

"Yes! Of course, I would love to hear it," Caroline was curious.

“I know you won’t be. Nor will you be the only one complaining about him, as I plan to ask other friends to do the same.”

Sophia laughed at Caroline’s jest. “Based on the child I will have by the time you fall pregnant. I will be able to tell you what to expect when you go into labor, if nothing else. I am not looking forward to that and will be glad when it’s over. If the ordeal is particularly distressing, then my lord husband will just have to be content with one.”

She smiled wistfully. “Hopefully, our children will be as musical as we are and we can all play and sing together.”

Sophia had expected her friend’s answer. “It was the spring before last and my first season at court. I could barely speak English but I was able to understand the rumors that were whispered at a ball I attended … that I was loose with my favors when in truth, I was a maiden. I was so upset that I hurled my glass of wine, not caring where it landed. Well, it splashed on Lord Chichester’s stockings, ruining them completely. He was so angry at me, even though I apologized over and over. He finally stalked away and I thought that I had just made my first enemy.

“At a later time, I ran into him again and he forgave me, like the gracious gentleman he is. We became friends after that and he even gave me some tips to improve my painting skills.”

Sophia was clever, she was recruiting others in her scheme, that should help convince even a suspicious husband. The conversation moved on to children, Sophia was soon to have one and Caroline, she had to hope she was going to follow someday. It really was an important duty of a wife, to produce an heir. Or at least offspring. It was the way of the world though boys were wished for over girls. Caroline thought it would be wonderful if some day their children might become good friends. Leave it to Sophia to add that mayhaps they would also be musically talented and could perform together.

"That would be nice, indeed. I just want my children to be healthy and survive when it comes down to it. "

Sadly infants died all too often.

Caroline asked about George and Sophia in the past, if there might be some memory to entertain her regarding them. Sophia recalled one that ended up she being upset and George being angry over spilt wine. Not a good start to any friendship but George later forgave her and even gave her advice on her painting.

"Ahh, interesting. That was decent of him and I can see that. I too think he is a decent man otherwise I would not have agreed to marry him," Caroline remarked, "Suppose I must make it a point not to spill wine on his stockings then."

"Oh and speaking of painting. George wants to paint a portrait of me sometime. I thought it a splendid idea. But I told him I want the painting to be one of me au natural. Not a stitch of clothing on me. And he surprised me by agreeing!" she was delighted really.

Sophia looked down at her baby bump. “That’s all I want as well. I already love this little one and I can’t imagine losing him … or her.” She tried not to think of all the things that could go wrong, not just during the birthing process but all throughout her son’s or daughter’s childhood. So many children didn’t make it to adulthood. I shall not think of that. There are millions of adults in the world and they all survived. Why can’t this sweet little baby of mine do it too?

“He will forgive you if you do,” she told Caroline. He had no idea who I was and I must have looked like a spoiled child who had lost her temper because she had a hair out of place. I had not yet met my lord husband at that point. I thought I was in love with somebody else who believed those rumors and thought I had betrayed him.” Lucas Cole. Her first love. No matter how badly things had ended between them, she would always remember him with fondness.

Sophia chuckled when Caroline revealed that she wanted Lord Chichester to paint her in the nude. “Of course he agreed. He’s a man.” She winked at her friend teasingly. “I wonder how much painting will actually get done. I think it's a great idea, though. I wish I would have thought of being painted that way.” She sighed sadly. “It’s probably too late now. After this pregnancy, my body will never be the same.” All that extra skin had to go somewhere, after all.

“Lord Chichester is a wonderful painter. I suppose he already told you that he sponsors other artists too. He put us in touch with one who did a splendid job painting our wedding portraits. I may hire him again to paint the baby and the three of us as a family, unless your future husband offers to do it himself.”

"Oh do not fret, that helps nothing. Your baby will be strong and full of life. I am confident of it. You must be too," Caroline always felt a bold front was the way to approach any issue.

Sophia now told her about her soon to be husband and, despite that one awful incident, it seemed Sophia had a positive memory of the man. So far really Caroline had heard nothing negative about George at all from people who knew him, that was a hopeful sign. Caroline so badly wanted to marry a decent man this time around not the monster she had been stuck with in that wretched arranged marriage.

The talk drifted to painting and Caroline just had to tell the girl of the decision that George would paint her au natural. Caroline really was excited about it, there had never been anything shy about her. Sophia worried about how she would look at giving birth.

"There are many women who have children and still retain their youthful look and shape. Again you worry too much. Although....as you age you do realize with those impressive breasts of yours...they will no doubt sag dreadfully. While I, with my flat chest, will need not worry about such things," she laughed. Hopefully Sophia would not be offended.

"I do know George likes to collect fine works of art but I really must get him to show me some of what he has painted. Unless he gives them all to others as gifts and such? I must ask him."

Caroline seemed confident that everything would go well.  Hopefully  she was right and in two months time, Sophia would be holding a healthy infant in her arms, whether it was hers or the baby of a mother who had sold it. She still wasn’t comfortable with that plan but it might be the only way. The little life she so cherished would be raised by another family and she would see it only infrequently. Even the thought of it made her want to scream.

Sophia laughed along with her friend about her bountiful bosom. “I try not to think about that, but I know it’s going to happen eventually. You are lucky that you will escape that fate.  Maybe if I continue being active while I’m pregnant and after the baby is born, I will quickly regain my shape. If so, then I might ask to have myself painted au natural.” Juan would probably adore a nude portrait of her and Esteban wanted what Juan wanted.

“I definitely don’t plan on lying in bed all the time when I’m in confinement. The room I chose has a door that leads out to the garden. I will be taking advantage of it as often as I can.” Nor would the windows be covered or closed all the time. She didn’t mind the heat part. What was stifling for most Englishwomen was comfortable for her.

“He hasn’t shown you his paintings yet? I have seen him painting but not any of his finished works. If he does give them away, I wonder if he might have presented one to my lord husband. They were friends long before I met either one of them.”

(OOC: Shall we start wrapping this one up?)

"I would certainly imagine your husband would welcome a painting such as that of you. Or what about this? A painting of you and the newborn babe in your arms both au natural? Surely someone has done something along those lines?" Caroline mused.

Turned out Sophia had never seen any of George's paintings that were completed.

"Yes, somewhere he must have them stored but he has yet to reveal such to me. Maybe he is just too shy about his own work? Just trying to be modest?" Caroline wondered aloud.

"Well, I guarantee you, I shall get to the bottom of it once we are married. Afterall is it not so that husbands and wives shall not keep secrets from each other? Of course I am probably being naive about such things," she shrugged.

ooc: Makes sense to me!

Sophia’s eyes lit up at Caroline’s suggestion. “Oh, that is a wonderful idea! I am set on it now. After we both recover from the birth, I shall have it done. Unless I look too horrendous. Then it will have to wait a month or two until I … hopefully … regain my figure.” Juan would thrilled to have a painting like that of her and their child.

“When I first showed one of my sketches to another artist, I felt like I was giving away part of my soul. Maybe Lord Chichester feels like that too. I think he will show them to you, though it might take some time until he’s ready. Or maybe he will reveal them on the day after your wedding.”

The young singer sighed. “Everyone has secrets. I know my lord husband is keeping some from me, and I have a few of my own. Nothing scandalous, of course. There are just some things about me that he doesn’t need to know. You will be lucky if the two of you share everything with each other.”

Sophia was worried about recovering her figure, Caroline had to smile.

"Your figure has always been quite impressive. You know the menfolk literally stare at those twin treasures of yours. I certainly can never say that."

Then the two discussed artwork, Sophia was quite optimistic George would let Caroline see of his paintings.

"Yes indeed, I believe he will. He is just waiting for the right moment. Perhaps after we are actually married?" Caroline shrugged.

Now as far as secrets, her friend had a great point.

"You are right, some secrets are best never being revealed. I have one such. I would rather not deal with the possible consequences," that in itself was a bit of a revelation by her.

“They used to embarrass me when I was younger, but now I’m quite proud of them,” Sophia said of her impressive bosom. “Though at the moment, they are so huge that I can’t even wear a high-necked gown without showing cleavage.” This was, of course, an exaggeration, but her bosom had become larger with pregnancy.

“Maybe you can convince Lord Chichester to show his paintings to his friends. I would love to see them myself.”

She wondered about the secret that Caroline spoke of. It was probably not nearly as scandalous as her own. As it was none of her business, she was content to continue conversing amiably with her friend.

~finis?

• 2 weeks later...

"I will do my very best to convince him but perhaps after the dust settles from the marriage? I imagine he might well wish to spend our time just between ourselves for awhile, getting to know each other better. After all this was all so fast, no real courtship. Not that I am complaining."

"He wants an heir, so I am anticipating he will be wanting to plow me quite often in hopes of his wishes..oh and mine too, coming true," she grinned.

"And on that happy note, perhaps I should take my leave, dear friend?"

-Finis indeed?