JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Oranges and Lemons - Late morning, 16th September

"Precisely."

Darlene was pleased with this woman’s nonce, but mostly that she agreed with herself.  "Actually that reminds me of another Gardening competition that I was planning with Lady Lismire, before she became inconveniently illdisposed.  We were to have a gardening competition in Chelsea, that was where her estate was you see.  Perhaps you might take her place in those plans... we'd really not done much working out yet. Except for the method." Darlene chatted on freely as she did, "that each competitor would get a cart sized box that they could work on in their own leisure during th recess - then they would have each plot carted to London for the Spring season show.  What do you think of that?" 

"You are right that we need a wealthy sponsor though, for I do not have the where-with-all to pay for it all nor to sponsor the prize." she sighed, “I suppose that must be why I gave up. Money is such a bother.”  

Darlene nodded, although she had not actually been quite as adventurous as Anne-Elizabeth, nor become quite accustomed to the very different flavours used in the food.  "Most English people would have no idea." 

"My charm worked for my husband also, alas I stopped carrying it when safely home in England. Perhaps if I had had still be alive." 

"But heavens, yours is a very dramatic tale.  Was it your swimming skills that saved you, apart from the charm that is, when the ship was wreaked." Darlene’s theatrical mind had already conjured the great scene - under a stormy sky the bedraggled lady swam to and clutched a still burning plank of wood while the multi-masted ship behind her sunk to the depths. 

"You are quite the heroine." she sighed, entirely impressed. 

"Goodness, but that is awful too, did you mean you lost your entire family?" Darlene’s eye flared, and the beginnings of a thought occurred. This might be a lady who'd also like to communicate with the other side. 

Anne-Elisabeth wondered why this lady had not introduced herself yet. Maybe she was so well-known that everyone knew she was. Everybody but me, apparently. She had no idea who Lady Lismire was, either.

The competition sounded quite intriguing. Anne-Elisabeth was surprised that her companion suggested that she take the place of the missing lady so soon after meeting her. Yet they were both from the Caribbean so in a way, they were linked through their love of the islands. “That’s a great idea. There aren’t many activities for ladies at court and I think it would be quite popular. I’d like to help you plan it, but I probably won’t participate. I confess I don’t know the first thing about gardening, though it’s something I would like to learn.”

As to a wealthy sponsor: “The Queen is the obvious choice. I’ve never met her personally but anyone can request an audience. If it’s granted, we could propose our plan and perhaps she will volunteer to patronize it.” Maybe the lady knew of other influential women who would be interested.

Sorrow colored her rich sultry voice. “I’m sorry about your husband. I, too, am a widow. I had only been married a few weeks before the shipwreck. At least you were able to have more time with your husband.”

Her companion painted a dramatic picture of how she might have survived the tragedy that had taken her family’s lives. “I am no heroine,” she said softly. " I swim like a fish, but I never got the chance. I was knocked out after being thrown across my cabin and woke up about a week later in my mother-in-law’s home. My husband and I had both been severely injured, but while I recovered …” Anne-Elisabeth paused and looked down at the floor. “… He did not. He died in my arms. I would have given him my charm but I no longer had it with me. My parents and brother were already dead before we were found."

“You should still compete, even if just to show others who’ve never designed gardens before that it is possible.  Besides somebody has to come last.” That last bit was added with a wink and teasing laugh, “not that there is a punishment for that. Oh unless is would amuse us to make a penalty… like perhaps the person in last place has to make a flower arrangement from the winners blooms? 

“Oh but I don’t know, it shall be fun to think about and plan wont it.”

“Perhaps you design a carrib garden, under a small glass house of course.  That might be marvellous, and enlightening for all the ladies who have not travelled.  Not many are as fortunate as us.”

“No I’ve not met the current Queen either, nor the one before her.” Darlene did not have many friends actually, “Do you think she would actually speak to us.  It need to be done in your name, for you see, my own is a tad… ah, notorious

Yes Darlene had not yet told her newest acquaintance her name, and that fact became quite pointed now, but did Elizabeth Anne dare directly ask?

The true tale was even worse that she’d imagined, Darlenes heart ached for her and she reached her hand to touch the others in comfort. “That is truly heart breaking, oh you poor darling, I cannot think of anything more tragic.” Emotion was rich in her voice, “Tell me, what was his name.”  Darlene, a lover of theatre, sought to know more about this tragic love story, while she wondered if the other had also loved a Thomas. “And your time together, cut so short. If only there was a way to speak to our dearly departed loved ones again…”

Gauging the others response, Darlene hesitated before mention of the seance.

Anne-Elisabeth shook her head. “As much as I love to make people laugh, I’m far too competitive to enter a contest that I know I will lose, even to make a point. I think I will find planning it more fun. However, if I learn how to garden before the competition begins, I may change my mind.

“Planting a Caribbean garden is a great idea, though. I think I will try that at my estate in Cornwall, but first I shall need an Orangery built. If I succeed, then I will try growing some flowers under glass.” She would need some way to pay for the construction, which she imagined would be expensive. Additional costs would be importing soil, seeds, and plants from Barbados and other islands. It was a long term project and certainly wouldn’t be finished by the following season, even if somebody volunteered to finance it tomorrow.

So now Anne-Elisabeth knew why the lady had not given her name. She feared that if the Countess heard it, she would run in the opposite direction. If she was as disreputable as she made herself seem, then Davina, who was very respectable and proper, would have nothing to do with her.

“I doubt the Queen will speak to me either.  My own name is becoming notorious as well, by my own design. Associating with more infamous ladies can only help my goals.” She raised one raven eyebrow. “So who do I have the pleasure of conversing with?”

Her companion expressed her concern over the death of her family. Anne-Elisabeth felt that this lady had experienced tragedies of her own. “His name was Arthur.” The name was spoken softly and reverently.

As for communicating with the dead: “I have heard that there are ways to do that. It would be wonderful to talk to Arthur again. It would ease my sorrow immensely."

By the ladies reply, of enjoying planning while not knowing how to garden, Darlene wondered if she misunderstood the competitors role.  "But planning is the ladies role in gardening, we none of us want to actually get dirt under our nails." She tipped her head to see if that made a difference to Anne Elizabeth as a possible entrant. 

But none of the plans were any good without a sponsor, and her newest acquaintance ruled out the chance of getting the queen onboard also.  However any disappointment that Darlene might feel about that as alleviated by the news that this lady also had dubious repute.  In fact, deliberately so!

“Then I am more delighted to meet you, we ladies of less-than-pristine ought stick together don’t you think. My name is Darlene Hamilton, Viscountess Oakham.” She smiled all pleased, so pleased that in fact she thought to brag her misdemeanours just in case the other had not heard.  “Yes the same Lady Oakham as what stabbed Mr Killigrew senior at the ball, and whom was kept by the Duke Newcastle, god rest his gentle soul, further the same Lady Oakham as who entertained the Pirate Henry Morgan. Although to be fair, that as after he was already made Lieutenant Governor of Jamaica.”

Her crimes against gentle society were hardly really so bad, all understandable, at least by her own rationale.

The other lady's reaction then confirmed Darlene wish, and sh eput forth the invite: “Then you simply must attend my good friend Lady Albemarle’s seance on Wednesday night, where the highly renown medium Count Fiorenzi shall summon the dead.”

“I meant I would rather plan the competition than take part in it. I’ve never attempted to design a garden. I have excellent gardeners to do that for me. You should see the fanciful topiaries in the garden of my London residence. They are shaped into mythological creatures. They were already there when I moved in, but I hired the gardeners who created them to maintain them and sculpt new ones.”

Anne-Elisabeth chuckled. “I suppose I could cheat and tell my gardeners to work their magic on my contest entry. Or is that what everyone does?” They still needed a sponsor. Perhaps they could find a lady who was on good terms with the Queen. Davina would have been the perfect if she had not lost her position.

“Of course we need to stick together. It’s no fun to wallow in the gutter alone.”

She had never heard the name of Lady Oakham mentioned during the nine months she had been at court. Nor was she familiar with the things she had done. Except the last one. “You know Henry Morgan?” Anne-Elisabeth was impressed. While most people in England might not have heard of him, he was well-known in the Caribbean.

“What was he like?” She winked mischievously and lowered her voice to a whisper. “Does he have a big cock?”

She was surprised when Lady Oakham invited her to a séance. The young Countess wasn’t superstitious, but it was difficult to grow up on the islands without developing a respect for the supernatural. It was such a part of the natives’ lives and strange things did happen that could be explained no other way.   she truly believed that charm saved her life.  While she wasn’t positive that the dead could actually speak to the living, she would certainly like to give it a try.

“I would love to join you and I have no plans for Wednesday night. Where is it being held?”

Gardening simply didn’t interest Anne Elizabeth, "Though you still enjoy gardens of course." Darlene assured herself, for of course the current locale must have meant something. 

"Oh I hope nobody cheats." the idea hadn’t even occurred to Darlene prior.  But the problem still remained that the idea was without funding, so would not proceed.  

"Intimately." she replied to her new friends amazed (and was that a hint of surprise in her tone too) question.  Squealing a laugh at the ladies use of gutter language she then continued "what is the saying about not kiss-and-telling?  Might I say though that I suspect that all men of high station are gifted in that regard." she paused for a breath then continued on the fly, "It is like the good lord blessed them with a fine measuring stick that they must in every possible way live up to." 

Discovering she liked that theory, Darlene gave a further smile.  For the time being at least she was not thinking about hr late husband, and however he did ot did not qualify. 

"It's at Lady Ablmarles apartment>' she went on to explain how Anne Elizabeth might find the room, "And be sure to wear plenty of silver, for it known to protect us from any ill intent spirits that might be about." 

“I think all ladies enjoy gardens. I hope you will come to see mine when court moves back to London. Is looks really mysterious and mystical at night. My garden at Cornwall is larger but not nearly as imaginative. I suggest certain flowers to the gardeners, but I let them decide where they will look best."

So it was cheating to put one’s gardeners in charge of one’s contest entry. Anne-Elisabeth supposed that the ladies told them what to plant and where, since they didn’t get their hands dirty. That sounded rather boring to her but perhaps that was the kind of activity that proper noblewomen enjoyed. It was much more fun to be improper, and her new friend seemed to agree.

She had used an indecent word just to see what Lady Oakham’s reaction would be. Apparently, she approved. Her answer to the Countess’ question was creatively indirect. “I thought as much,” she replied. “I have noticed the same thing.” While the Countess preferred large ‘measuring sticks,' she didn’t think that size mattered as much as knowing what to do with what you had.

Lady Oakham explained where the séance was going to be held. “I have some silver jewelry so I should be fine. I do hope that Lady Albemarle does not mind if you invite a complete stranger. I have not yet met her.”

• 3 weeks later...

"It sounds fun." Darlene agreed, hoping that the loose invitation might some day be confirmed by a formal invite.  

But for now, it was all talk of the seance, most importantly what to wear.  "Oh yes she shall be pleased, she had asked me to ask a few friends. But, you might be surprised to know that there are not so many broad minded ladies out there.  Most think themselves clever to be a sceptic.  While you and I know that actually the clever thing to do is to see what is revealed.  To keep an open mind is... well essential I think. That is probably true for everything in life."

So with the invitation confirmed, and all of that, Darlene felt much pleased. 

"I am truly pleased to have met you Lady Cambray." she smiled cheerily as she made her farewell, "and cant wait for what adventure we shall discover on Wednesday night!" 

Anne-Elisabeth was a bit worried about being thrown out because of her scandalous reputation, but since Lady Albemarle was Lady Oakham’s friend,  she was probably a libertine herself. Proper ladies didn’t hold seances.

“I’m actually not surprised at all. Most ladies are not only narrow-minded but afraid of the unknown. Me, I’ll try anything once. There is so much in this world that nobody yet understands. The only way to increase your knowledge is to be bold and experiment.  There are new things everywhere just waiting to be discovered."

What Anne-Elisabeth had expected to be a confrontation had turned into an exciting opportunity and hopefully, a blossoming friendship. “I’m glad that we met as as well. I suppose I should go and check on my kitten. She often gets in trouble when I leave her alone for too long. Until Wednesday, then.”

After cautiously fond farewells (for their relationship was yet to be cemented by time) Darlene made her own departure.  She took care not to head off in the same direction that Davina had left in, for she was not yet ready to face it.  In a few days, when delicate tempers had settled, she was bound to feel better. 

Fin! 

❤️