JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Turning in a Key, Sept 16th, around Noon

STEWARD OF THE ROOMS

A small room for Lord Beverley, Steward of the Rooms, in which he kept stacks and stacks of papers, keeping careful logs of who came and parted, what rooms required cleaning, how much damage was done and thus repairs that needed to be made. 

After having been reminded by her maid, Collette, that today was Friday, not Saturday, Cat decided some stress release by stabbing was required.  So after a bath (and a wash of her hair to get all the flour out), she donned her sword practice clothing (men's practice clothing that had been fitted to her frame and one of her corsets that had the 'special' pocket between her breasts for one of her daggers).  The shirt was ecru with a neatly tied cravat and the pants black.  Her hair was in a single braid that was wound up into a bun on the back of her head.  No jewelry was worn.  After donning a light cape, she had Scathach saddled and, along with Jack, rode to the palace.  After handing over her mount, she made an impromptu decision.

With her guard trailing her, she made her way to the office of the Steward of the rooms.  Stopping in front of the clerk guarding Lord Beverley's domain, she gave her name and inquired if she might speak with the man.

• 2 weeks later...

Beverley had returned from his early morning ride, changed, attending to organizing the Prince's correspondence so that it was ready for him, and then returned to tend to his own - much less significant - correspondence and general Windsor duties. 

He was now seated at his desk with a clerk plopping down various delivery slips and other things which required his signature to be paid. He could not believe the cost associated with hosting so many people. Just the number of servants for the castle was tremendous. 

That was where he was when Lady Alyth came in...dressed quite unconventionally. He rose from his position and offered her a short bow, expecting some sort of request that he would need to find a way to grant. Having His Majesty's child was a special sort of circumstance.

"Good afternoon, Lady Alyth. What can I do for you? My apologies the office is small. Would you like something to drink?" He gestured to the seat in front of the desk if she wished to sit. He would sit again after she did.

Cat responded to the bow with an abbreviated curtsy and then sat so Beverly could sit as well.  "I'm just here for a quick moment, so please don't go to any trouble."  She did the most unfeminine thing and crossed one long leg over the other.  "Having been to Windsor a time or two, I know just how tight the quarters are for housing the Court.  I felt it would make more sense to have myself and family rent a house in town, rather than trying to fit myself, my sisters and my daughter into what I'm certain is well more than adequate space."  Alright, that was a definite exaggeration.  "I must have forgotten to notify your office of this, for I have found that quarters had been set aside for me."  She switched her crossed legs.  The breeches pulled tight against her legs, the boots shaped to her calves.

Beverley was readying himself for the complaint that the space was too small for so many ladies, but there were no larger spaces in truth. Even greater personages than Lady Alyth and her family were staying in places much smaller than their tastes and sharing bed space with family members. Not even all the Dukes and high-ranking ambassadors could be afforded suites of great size. 

However, that complaint never came.

"Oh, well, I see. So you are relinquishing the room then?" he asked, eyebrows raised. 

"Far be it for me to hold on to such a space, letting it go to waste when I'm certain you know of someone who might be able to make use of it," Cat said.  Her foot bobbed slightly.  While her face remained fixed in her friendly smile, the movement of her foot gave away her restless energy.  Unconsciously, she licked her lips.  They were feeling a bit dry. 

"I truly appreciate that, and it will not be forgotten, my lady," Beverley said, amiably.

Once upon a time, his eyes might have gone to her legs...or elsewhere. But after his time with Lady O'Roarke and the consummate beating his father had given him, he had been disabused of those notions. A mistress and then a wife and then a newborn son, of course, helped those matters along too. He kept his base desires far away from court, as his father had educated him, to keep that life separate from his family and court entirely. 

And now he had Mary, and he was very fond of his Lady Beverley. 

So instead of finding a discomfort in his breeches, the viscount said, "Are you sure you would not like some refreshment? The air is, erm, rather dry in here from the hearth."

Beverley did not understand ladies, so he was not sure why the lady seemed...off. He could not fathom that he had done something wrong in a few short sentences of appreciation.

"If there is anything I might arrange for you at Windsor, please do let me know, my lady. I appreciate the rarity of not taking advantage of holding a room at a premium when it is not needed, as will His Highness." The Duke of Cumberland was a man who noted good behaviour amongst courtiers, for it was so very rare for anyone to behave honorably or honestly. 

He stood again when she said that she would take her leave, nodding at the clerk to see her out and open the door for her.

Beverly wasn't the only one who couldn't understand Cat's mind.  Often times, she didn't understand herself as well.  She smiled at Beverly as she replied, "If I do think of anything, I'll be sure to let you know."  She paused.  "I have heard of the yacht race that is being set up for charity.  Do you know how I can go about making either a donation or place a bet?"  Francis had said it was through Prince Rupert and Beverly was his right hand man.

Beverley smiled politely and nodded.

He was sure one day she would think of something. That was how court worked. 

"If you wish to make a donation, I can accept it, erm, or it could be sent directly to His Highness. If you wish to place bets, we will have an official process set up in advance of the race. Side-betting would, erm, negate the purpose of the cause for the navy, of course, so it will require a bit of organization that is not yet ready, my lady."

That made sense.  It took time to make sure everything was in place before a charity event.  The where, when, who and hows were never decided in a second.  Especially if royalty was involved.  "Of course.  I understand.  I will wait until something official is out.  Thank you.  I hope the rest of your day goes smoothly," she said before exiting the office.