JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Mind Clearing-after supper, Sept 15th

The grotto which in summertime provided seclusion and a breath of coolness to ladies wandering the Keeps ascent, was framed by leaves in yellow and red covering its entrance, providing a hiding place as well as the throne of fall. Still further in one could still sit with a measure of privacy on its banks, admiring the hundreds of shellfish that had been immortalized in mosaic, whose blue tones called for images of water. Its tunnellike shape gave a measure of protection against the sometimes inclement weather. Helpful servants had left a lantern to be lit by visitors after nightfall.

After supper with her family and the stress of having to fill Douglas in on the Fiona Fiasco (as she was calling it in her mind), Cat needed to clear her head.  She always preferred gardens, and while there was one attached to the house they were renting, the eldest MacBain girl needed to be away from the other three.  If she stayed nearby, someone would inevitably come looking for her.  She could only handle so much fighting for so long before she felt the urge to smack their heads together.  So, she had come to the castle for some head clearing.  

Believing in her own fighting superiority with her daggers, she had only brought one guard with her and left the others on alert at home.  The tall Scot had the tendency to forget she wasn't immortal, which should be odd, considering all the deaths that surrounded her.  She found the lantern and lit it, requesting the guard to go find somewhere warm to wait while she cleared her head.  It took some convincing, but eventually he did as told as he rather enjoyed his job.  Except when her ladyship argued about her protection.  He walked away, working hard not to stomp, for he was clearing upset with this outcome.

Cat smiled and shook her head, then picked up the lantern, ready to head into the entrance.

Francis was yet restlessly walking about and thinking of heading back to Buckingham's rooms after his walk around Windsor when he sighted a lantern moving up ahead. When it illuminated the face of the holder, he picked up speed with his long legs.

It looked as if he needn't head back inside quite yet.

Coming close enough not to shout indecorously, he hailed the lady to pause her in her progression enough to wait for him, "Lady Alyth!" A few more paces and he added, "I do hope I am not interrupting a planned interlude?" He chuckled lightly and grinned.

A welcome voice hailed her before she could step inside.  Turning in that direction, she smiled and laughed.  "I don't know if I should say 'alas' or 'thankfully' but no assignation have I planned in quite some time, Cap....my lord."  He had been a lord longer than she knew him as a captain, but she still thought of Francis that say.  "Ach," her Scottish accent slipping through for a minute, "I didn't think memory loss started at 20."  

She was wearing a dress that was comfortable, in her customary shade of blue.  But only the lightest of cape topped it.  To Cat, this was a normal occurance in the Highlands, so didn't really feel the temperature.  There was a bulge in the pocket of the cape.  She had stashed some cookies there.  You never know when you might need a nibble.

Francis was hardier than most courtiers whose bodies were accustomed to every convenience, so he was simply wearing a wide-cuffed burgundy velvet justacorps embroidered with golden vines and florals. It was a pattern either Buckingham or Nicci had picked in his absence. He had only needed to endure minor tailoring on his return from Scotland. His breeches and waistcoat were a warm cream as was his hat, and his tall brown boots were dirty from walking the streets of Windsor. 

"I do not think it is memory loss. I think it is my constantly changing title and mode of address that is at fault, a result of my over-reaching and greedy nature as an undeserving upstart you know," he replied, with a snicker of derision at his own situation. Buckingham had said to act above it or to make a joke of it, and with Cat he could make a joke of it. 

He rested his hand gently on the hilt of his rapier and said, "Either fortunate or unfortunate in lack of assignation, would you care for some company on your walk?" 

Cat was reminded how pretty her friend was as he was illuminated better.   It was a good thing blondes weren't her favorite flavor or she might be sad that their friendship stay right there, safe in the friend zone.   Now that she was allowing herself to consider sharing herself with another man (they were necessary for having babies, after all), she'd found herself a bit more aware of the men around her. 

At his recitation of what must have been a direct quote, she snorted.  "Because you've never performed a heroic service to King and country and thus are undeserving of your earned status.  Ach, the English and their snobbery.  In Scotland, you'd never have to pay for a drink ever again.   I'd be surprised if Douglas has to pay."  She admired men to made their own futures and hadn't relied on Daddy's pockets.

"I'd be delighted to walk with you.  You can regale me your nefarious deeds that allowed you to steal your...earldom?  Is that what I heard?"  If his arm was offered, she loop her free arm through it.  She certainly didn't want to hit him with the lantern.

The darkness hid some of his blush at her comment about his deeds that had led to his earldom. In truth, he might have been able to say he earned his baronetcy on his own, perhaps even his acceleration by writ to the title gifted to his mother, but he did not feel he had particularly done much to earn his earldom other than be born. Not that he hadn't proven his usefulness or diligence to His Majesty but many did that for years or decades and did not experience his fortune.

"I wager the Scottish dukes and earls are likely just as snobbish but perhaps less prim about it," Francis replied, with a grin.

He held out a hand to take the lantern from her in gentlemanly fashion whilst offering her his other arm.

"Many perform heroic services and aren't gifted earldoms, you know," he added, quietly. "In this case the truth is that Buckingham asked the King to gift it to me. There are, of course, many services I have done or sacrifices I have made, but there will always be a sect of courtier who see that I was plain gentry not even five years ago. To them my baronetcy was reward enough for a lifetime." He chuckled at the predicament and elaborated, "And upstarts run in the Villiers family, perhaps I should see it as a badge of honor. His Grace thinks one cannot be arrived as a courtier properly without being the subject of broadsheets, pamphlets, slander, and gossip."

Cat was a steadfast friend (unless you slept with her sister) and would defend them, no matter what.  "Those same men refer to me as an upstart and a whore, and if they're English, a Scottish whore, so do we really care what they think?"  She handed him the lantern was was once again reminded how nice it was to speak with someone taller than herself.  Men of shorter stature tended to hold conversations with her breasts.  They were tired of being condescended to.

She chuckled at his talk of Buckingham and the family habit of being upstarts.  "Ah, but upstarts have more fun. "  Before taking his arm, she reached in her pocket and brought out two cookies.  "Would you like one?  I made them this afternoon."  They were shortbread with a touch of ginger in them.  She liked the warmth of the spice.

Francis smiled in the darkness, "His Majesty would have something to say about that. He feels strongly about impugning a lady's honor...especially on his account. If someone did say that in your hearing, I do hope you would tell me?" It would then, of course, go right back to the King or right back to the King after Francis reminded said person how his master felt about his courtiers speaking in such a way; the King almost always used one of his gentlemen for such reminders of expected behavior. It was one of his many duties in regards to the Kings many ladies.

"I confess, I care only insomuch as it upsets my lady mother," Francis replied. He had never hidden his softness when it came to matters surrounding his mother. "There was some minor talk after the King gave her the viscountcy in her own right. This just brings up those same things again...And, if I am being wholly truthful, I do not wish to feel like an upstart. I have not asked or campaigned for this all; it has been freely given."

Many did not care what others thought or what appearances were so long as they advanced, but Francis was cut from a singular cloth and circumstance. His life had felt the sting of both Charles Kirke's reputation and also knowing the man was not his father. Once he had known his true father and gained his own reputation independent of Kirke's horrific one, it had stung less. Now that he knew his father had known about him before he had been killed and intended to marry his mother, things had changed, and then these bloody broadsheets had to come out. 

"I thought that bulge was one of your daggers," he replied, with a bright sound that more resembled a giggle than a chuckle. HIs tenor voice did not lend itself to deep noises. "I'll never refuse any of your sweets."

The expression that crossed Cat's face at Francis' request to tell him when someone called her a whore to her face was one of amusement.  "I'll not make any promises of such.  His Majesty has enough on his plate as it is."  Besides, if she really wanted to be mean, she'd tell Douglas.  "I do appreciate the offer."  Francis should be familiar with Cat's stubbornness and desire to take care of everything herself.  

"How is your mother doing?," she asked.  She was supposed to meet her while they were in Brighton, but things had not worked out.  "As for being an upstart, that is pure magirlean*."  Cat was all for taking care of people who spoke poorly of her friends and family and if she heard anyone saying such things about Francis...  "You are not your father.  You don't carry his sins.  Believe me, I know."  Her tone turned dark for a moment.  "You are deserving of everything you have gained and will gain in the future.  You are a rare thing, my friend.  You are a good man."

Cat laughed.  "As if I would carry any of my daggers in such a loose way.  No, they are in much more secure locations, I promise you."  She handed over a cookie and nibbled on the other.  The crumbly texture with the buttery goodness brought for a sigh of happiness.  She really did love her sweets.  "Though I'm only carrying four.  I feel underdressed."

"That is why His Majesty has Gentlemen of the Bedchamber, to take care of such things without burdening him with them," Francis replied. "Part of the expected duties. He would not wish it to not be taken care of; it would annoy him more to hear that."

Courtiers misbehaved all the time. There were rules. He'd rather tell someone off for the King over a lady than deal with any other number of them, like snubbing a higher-ranking person through a doorway or pissing on a rare statue...

In retrospect, it was why Cumberland reminded him of the decorum due Dorothea as a princess. For him to do it was worse than most courtiers, because it reflected badly on His Majesty. 

"She is very well, though upset I did not spend time with her over the recess. His Grace had me in York for much of it, seeing to his business there for his Lord Lieutenancy." Her assessment of his character made him smile, "I assure you I am not that good." He grinned with mischief, "But I understand your meaning and appreciate your sentiment and support."

He chuckled about the daggers and accepted the cookie. "Four daggers or four cookies?" He took and swallowed a bit before he said, "And how is your family and little Nessia?"

Ugh.  "And if I don't promise, you'll mention it to my brother, who will then pester me?"  Men!  Such stubborn creatures.  Why was she thinking about getting herself another one?  Oh yes, babies.  Gaelic curses slid through her mind, but this time didn't slip from her mouth.  "Fine.  I promise."  The tone was one not often associated with the eldest MacBain girl.  It was practically pouting.  "If Douglas starts pestering me about it, I'll know it was you who talked to him and not make you any more black bun."

"Working on the break?  Always a fun thing to do.  I hope you sent her goodies from York, at least," she teased.  Then laughed.  "Oh, but I've heard you're very good," she continued teasing, "at least from a lady's perspective."

At the clarifying question, she grinned mischievously.  "And if I said both?"  She pulled out another cookie to hand over.  

Francis' face got a bit of an uncomfortable blush. It seemed Cat was unaware that he and her brother...did not get along. 

"It will not be me who tells him...We," he paused, thinking of how to put it politely. "We had a disagreement on an affair of honor some time ago, though I do not believe anyone else knows aside from His Grace my cousin, who knows everything. I thought your brother would have told you of it." Such things between men were not small matters or ones that were ever dismissed lightly. "I apologize if that puts you in a strange position," he added, with a polite dip of his blond head. He would, of course, explain it to her if she asked.

Her veiled comment about his sexual prowess was met with a wry smile. "I hear there is a book that details various gentlemen's prowess in such ways." He had, of course, heard of that from Heather.

"I would say that you have clearly come unprepared to meet me, at least by way of cookies."

"If I kept track of all my friends that have had 'encounters' with my brother, I'd have no friends," Cat replied with a shrug.  She did now remember Douglas mentioning Francis not being happy with Dougie pursuing Sophia.  But Sophia was now married and with child (she needed to decide what to take by way of baked treats tomorrow morning), so she no longer grumbled about it.  Besides, she had someone else to focus her ire on that had claimed the title friends.  "But now I don't have to worry about him hunting down rude people."

She chuckled.  "I can not verify or deny such a record exists," she replied.  Mainly because she didn't know.  For being considered part of the Libertine side of court, she'd only been with 2 men.  

At his retort of being ill-prepared, baked goods wise, to meet him, a brow rose.  "So, should I always keep a basket full of baked treats on me at all times, in the off-chance I run into you?"  After a shake of her head, she added, "If I did that for all my friends, I'd have to travel with a carriageful."

Going back to his question on her family, she replied, "Nessie is growing like a weed and is no longer my sweet baby.   She has opinions and even says 'No' to me.  I have no idea where she gets it from."  She pondered whether she should mention the Fiona Fiasco, but since he already threatened to tattle on people saying rude things to her, she held off.  Cat hesitated before saying, "As for the rest of the girls, things are how you would imagine."  

Francis kept quiet about her having no friends if she took offense of everyone that had an issue with her brother. It was not his place to comment on someone else's family. He knew the lady was an independent sort that could take care of herself. There were plenty of those in his own family. He also had a feeling that FitzJames was the sort who barreled headlong into a lot of situations, but in truth he knew the man only little. All he knew was that he had given the man an opportunity to prove himself a gentleman by taking him at his word of honor and that it had been broken the very same day. 

He eyed her sideways as she said she couldn't confirm such a record existed, not certain if she was joking or being serious. He grinned, "Word travels far and wide amongst ladies then." He chuckled, "You know it is odd that a lady can talk all she wants about such things with her lady friends but that a gentleman should not kiss and tell." He paused. "Or at least that is what I hear and my own personal take on things. At least where there is a lady's honor is involved."

Whores, on the other hand, real ones at whorehouses, gentlemen discussed all the time. Where the good ones were to be had...Who was best at what...There was no expectation of honor there!

"Perhaps only if you expect to see me then," he replied, trying to remain serious, but tittering in amusement a bit at the end. "Gentlemen are won over by their stomachs."

Her daughter saying "no" made Francis laugh, "Oh no, no idea wherever she might have gotten that string of vociferous independence from. No never." His Majesty's family was not precisely full of demure ladies either from what he understood of the past. "I have no sisters and while I have uncles who are my own age, no aunts that are, so I can scarce imagine!"

Cat was relatively scarce in female friends at the moment, so she simply shrugged.  "It is either we speak about gentlemen or fashion and there is only so much you can talk about lace.  Besides, you're the prettiest of the bunch, so of course you'd be a preferred topic."  

She replied to the double standards, "As if men don't talk about such things."  The Scot had recently found herself privy to some such things with her investigations into who was after her sister.  A bit of a blush flushed her cheeks, but the darkness hid most of it.  As a mistress, she shouldn't be blushing at what she heard and saw in the bordellos and gambling hells she had entered in her masculine disguise.  "You I would believe as to be one man who wouldn't bandy a woman's name around."

She chuckled.  "By that logic, you should already be mine," she joked.  "You're staying here in the palace, correct?  With His Grace?"  She was already planning on what treats to bake up for her friend and the man who considered himself her pimp to the King.

His laughter was joined by her own.  "Ah yes, both of her parents are so meek.  I possibly shouldn't be surprised."  Then, she said, "If you ever want to be cured of desiring housing a bevy of females, spend a day with my family.  When I have another child, it had better be a boy."  Of course, there was no knowing of if she would have another child.  Being unwed did have its downside.

"Most of my life has not been spent around proper ladies, you recall. So I can say that there is indeed much talk in such cases. However, a lady's honor is a different matter. Unless she bandies about on her own that she sleeps around, in which case I'm not offending anyone's honor to have also partaken, I keep names out of my tales of conquest." He smiled unrepentantly.

He had to watch his behaviour ever since he had come to court because of Charles Kirke, something that made a resurgence in importance now with the broadsheets, so while he we known to be a part of the libertine crowd, he was a comparatively well-behaved libertine. Like Dorset could traverse both crowds at court, Francis tried his best to follow suit. 

"I find that also lends itself to more bedding as ladies who do not wish their honor impugned are hardly going to sleep with you if you have loose lips. And nor do I sleep with virgins or unmarried ladies. I do not fancy duels with fathers or brothers or uncles or such." In reality he had slept with two virgins, but he hadn't known it until it was too late to fall back on his no virgins stance, so he felt they did not count. 

"Indeed, with His Grace. It seems Lord Beverley does not think me meriting of my own room," he added, with a chuckle. In reality it likely signified that the boy knew he lived with Buckingham and that Buckingham's rooms at Windsor easily supported another. "I could always sleep on my yacht as I did last Windsor if need be anyway."

"And, thankfully, I need not yet worry about children."

Cat nodded as Francis reminded her that proper ladies weren't frequent visitors at sea or in the areas he had frequented.  And she knew at least one 'proper' lady who had no qualms about flaunting her affairs.  But, like Cat, she was a widow and they have a bit more freedom in that area.  She'd never really pushed the boundary, having stayed faithful to both the King and Adam (at the same time).  She really did need to figure out if she was ready to take a new lover.  Or husband.  But she opted not to mention those plans to Francis.  As an often chased after bachelor, he had enough to worry about.  "And that is why you, my friend, are popular with the ladies.  They know they're safe with you."  She gave his arm a friendly squeeze.

"You must caveat that 'unmarried ladies'," she teased.  "For widows are unmarried women.  But yes, I can see why, beyond your pretty face, you are much in demand." 

Well then, it seemed two baskets of treats and perhaps a bottle of brandy?  She kept different liquors on hand as not everyone the 'water of life'.  "Warn me if you decide to do that or the Duke will get your basket of goodies."  She just needed to make sure the baskets were different enough that it was obviously meant for two different people.  

"Very true.  They do tend to make housing difficult.  But oh, the sweet baby laughter and watching them take their first steps..."  She sighed.  "I want more, but to do that..."  Cat shrugged, her cheeks pinking in embarrassment.  She hadn't meant to say that.

Cat nodded as Francis reminded her that proper ladies weren't frequent visitors at sea or in the areas he had frequented.  And she knew at least one 'proper' lady who had no qualms about flaunting her affairs.  But, like Cat, she was a widow and they have a bit more freedom in that area.  She'd never really pushed the boundary, having stayed faithful to both the King and Adam (at the same time).  She really did need to figure out if she was ready to take a new lover.  Or husband.  But she opted not to mention those plans to Francis.  As an often chased after bachelor, he had enough to worry about.  "And that is why you, my friend, are popular with the ladies.  They know they're safe with you."  She gave his arm a friendly squeeze.

"You must caveat that 'unmarried ladies'," she teased.  "For widows are unmarried women.  But yes, I can see why, beyond your pretty face, you are much in demand." 

Well then, it seemed two baskets of treats and perhaps a bottle of brandy?  She kept different liquors on hand as not everyone the 'water of life'.  "Warn me if you decide to do that or the Duke will get your basket of goodies."  She just needed to make sure the baskets were different enough that it was obviously meant for two different people.  

"Very true.  They do tend to make housing difficult.  But oh, the sweet baby laughter and watching them take their first steps..."  She sighed.  "I want more, but to do that..."  Cat shrugged, her cheeks pinking in embarrassment.  She hadn't meant to say that.

That was, in fact, his secret to getting bedded with easy frequency. At least, beyond the reputation of being a good lover. 

It also did not hurt that as one of the King's gentlemen and as Buckingham's understudy of sorts, ladies thought him a decent way to find their way into the King's bed. 

"True, I more meant those who had yet to be married. For some of those aren't virgins but are far too risky. Pesky fathers and such." Merry widows, were of course, another matter. They were his preferred fare. Nobody to offend and most of them enjoyed their freedom with no desire to remarry.

"Well, you are very young," he said, not really noticing the awkwardness of her trailing off. "It would not be odd for you to wish for more and to marry again." He did not contemplate that perhaps she would rather have more of the King's children. Like any male, he had his limitations with the female mind. One never knew what they were thinking. "I do not have much experience with young children or babes beyond Sir George's, and I have some content with spoiling them for now. Do not forget that I've had my share of wards and still have one. I will say, the boys are easier." 

Pesky fathers, indeed.  And some gentlemen needed to know older sisters and brothers could be just as 'pesky'.  But that was a thought for a different individual.  

Sometimes she forgot that Francis was several years older than herself.  She'd turn 20 in November.  "I am younger, but I have already been widowed twice," not that she was sad about the first one.  "I'm rather set in my ways, running things as I see fit.  I doubt I'd find another man who'd understand my situation."  It felt right making these statements in the dark with only the lantern to illuminate around them.  "What man would allow his wife to run her own business?  Or oversee her sisters' future? Or any number of things that the law allows him to take over?"  Her shoulders drooped.  "Having to be married to have children is stupid."  Then, rallying herself, she said, "Speaking of female wards, I ran into Sophia this afternoon at the patisserie."

Francis listened to her complaints. He did not have easy answers. Many traditional sorts of men would not allow those things, surely, and especially not if he disagreed vehemently with her methodology. Then again, those most stodgy and traditional would probably not marry a King's mistress either. 

"The world is very large. The number of courtiers is very large. The sort of man you seek is out there, but I will not contest that he will be difficult to find. And when you find him, there may be concessions you would need to make for him too. For it is highly likely you will find him more amongst libertines than the proper sect." He thought for a moment, running his lips together. 

"And you have His Majesty, who all must listen to. There are many matters he would not come between, but his word could safeguard your business and oversight of your sisters, surely, especially because of the daughter you share with him. If you wish to remarry, speak to him. Our royal master does like to see people happy, especially those close at heart." It might seem a strange thing to bring up to a former lover, but the King was not a usual former lover, and there were benefits to having been a mistress. The King troubled over his ladies and had a kind heart with them. Most of his own duties circulated around them. 

Cat listened to Francis as he spoke.  But when he got to the King, she snorted in a very unladylike way.  "There will be no mention of my name and marriage in the same breath before His Majesty until I'm ready.  I married Lord Alyth here at the whim of the King."  It was also to give their child a name that didn't have a Fitz in it.   And also because Charles knew she loved Adam.  Look where that got her. "And if you hear my name in anyways spoken in a sentence containing either wedding or marriage and it doesn't also involve Fiona, try to turn the conversation."  She paused before adding, "I beg of you."

Waving her hand in the darkness, as though to wave away the topic.  "Away with this depressing topic.  I have enough drama in my life as it stands.  Tell me what are your plans while court resides in Windsor?  Anything fun planned?"

"Of course not," Francis replied. "I would not be a very good Gentleman of the Bedchamber if I angered ladies left and right. It is not my business. I merely wished you to know the King always wants those he cares for to know that they may count on him to do what he can. When you are ready. If you are ready."

There were some things Francis was obligated to tell his royal master, but much was left up to his discretion. If that were not the case, he would not provide very much use in making things easier for His Majesty.

"If that is what you wish, I will do my best," he assured her with a nod.

"I am arranging a yacht race for whomever has the coin to enter with His Highness the Duke of Cumberland, so that will consume much of my free time to prepare and help organize. It will benefit the Navy or some naval cause of the prince's choice," he told her. Then he added with a small smile, "The broadsheets have yet to cause me to lose my position, and I cannot imagine they will as they complain about the very things which the King has given me of his own volition, so much of my time will be spent attending. Many early morning walks, I suppose, for I am one of few with long enough legs to keep up and am less out of sorts that early in the morning than most."

"And yourself?"

Cat knew the King would want to make things happen for his ladies, but she wasn't ready yet.  Normally, she would have quipped a reply, but instead she just said, "Thank you."  There was so much already on her plate that the added stress of avoiding another marriage might have buried her.

"A yacht race?  Sounds exciting," she replied, though she was very much done with water conveyances.  "If you need any assistance, I'll be happy to help," she added.  If there was one thing outside of family and friends (and baking) that the Scot was passionate about, it was charity.  It was likely associated with her mother hen tendencies, but she wanted to help anyone she could.  

"Anyone who believes those things in the broadsheets is either jealous or has a brain the size of a walnut," Cat said in Francis' defense.  "No, no.  That's too mean to the walnut.  Something even smaller."  She always believed the best in her friends...until she was slapped in the face with such audacity.  

"Me?  No, nothing planned.  With the threat to Fi...fun," she stumbled.  It wasn't that she didn't trust Francis, but if the King found out Nessia was threatened, she didn't know exactly what would happen.  "There's always somebody who wants to stop anything fun from happening, you know.  But if you hear of something, please let me know."  Then, her conscience nudged her.  "Lord Arlington seemed to believe there might still be a room assigned in the Palace to me and mine.  Do you think I should let Prince Rupert's aid know I'm staying elsewhere or..."  She paused, trying to find the right wording.  "Keep the option open in case I find a need for an empty bed?"

"To enjoy watching and cheering?" he said, with a grin. "Perhaps even if His Majesty competes, you will cheer for me a bit too?" 

With more seriousness, he said, "I could not 'put you to work' on the project, for that would spoil the fun of it. However, knowing your charitable works, the betting will benefit a naval cause, so perhaps you might wish to place some bets and encourage others to do so as well?"

Then he thought, "Do you know anyone else who owns a yacht? The larger the field the better."

As to the broadsheet, Francis nodded, blond ringlets brushing his shoulders. "Courtiers love gossip and the only thing they love more is watching someone suffer and fall, but I shall not allow the last and nor shall His Grace. I will simply have to watch my behavior and give them no further fuel - though it seems they enjoy simply making it up - and sail through it. I've weathered through worse things than words. I had thought I had finally rid myself of the reputation associated with the Kirke name, but it seems I shall likely never fully be rid of it."

Her words did not strike him firmly, although she'd almost misspoken. His mind could not fill in that she had almost said Fiona, so he took what she said at the value of what actually came out, even if it seemed a bit odd. Enough so that his brows furrowed for just a moment. 

"Bah, Lord Arlington. He dislikes me," Francis opined. "I am sure more now than even before. He will have choice words for me before I next attend His Majesty. Shaking his white staff no doubt. He only joined us at Windsor, so did not get his opportunity when I rejoined the King after coming back from the North. I have yet to attend since we've both been at Windsor. Saturday into Sunday is my usual, so it is looming." If he did not have her on his arm and a lantern in his hand he would have gestured with a fake staff wildly. 

"Beverley, you mean?" Francis supplied. "That depends, do you wish to secure a favor from Lord Beverley for the future, or even from his father, Lord Brooke? You could stipulate he informs his master of your magnanimity, so might gain a prince's regard. Or would you rather have a room in case you need an escape?" Buckingham had taught Francis about the necessary maneuvering of court life quite well, for he would not have had the same answer nearly two years earlier.

"Of course I'd cheer for you as well...just quietly," Cat replied with a giggle. "And I shall wager on you both as well.  As for others' with yachts?  I'm not aware of anyone else, but have no fear, I shall spread the word as far and wide as I can."  Charity should have been Cat's middle name, for she would champion any endeavor to help those in need.  

"People will say harmful things about other people no matter if they have the most sterling reputation.  Jealousy felt by petty people is the last thing anyone would listen to."  A shrug.  "That's their loss.  Besides, if you were a horrible person, would I help support your black bun addiction?"  The wind was getting colder as the night drew on, but once again, she didn't feel it.  To her, it was a pleasant breeze.  Highlander girls were built differently.

She grinned at his description of Arlington.  Men of a certain age didn't appreciate younger, more handsome men.  And men thought themselves so superior to women.  Ha.   "Favor from a family of prudes?  Of course not.  I just thought if His Grace wanted to move someone who is in his or His Majesty's favor, it should be an option.  But, it is also true that having somewhere to go for when I need privacy..."  Cat bit her lip in thought.  Allowing Prince Rupert (and his aide) to know they might stave off a mutiny with the addition of an available suite or leaving herself somewhere she could 'entertain' if she needed to.  Decisions, decisions.  "I'll sleep on it."  As if she got much sleep these days.  

"I could always give you the key so you can use it for yourself or His Grace or His Majesty if any of you need to slip away."

Francis nodded at her encouragement and support. "I do not question my own worth, my friend, rest-assured. It does not make some things less bothersome and painful. I'd like to think I have a healthy degree of humility, and I rather preferred the reputation I earned for myself as being 'dashing,'" he joked. At least about the dashing bit. But when he added, "At least that saved me from excessive lecturing by the Lord Chamberlain," he was firmly making a joke. "If I was not aggrieved by such slander, I would not need to eat my feelings in your delectable treats, so there is one benefit. I shall need all the treats to stopper my tears."

He batted his long eyelashes. "I am also partial to fig tarts."

He barked out a laugh about the family of prudes. He had seen Lord Brooke a time or two at Madame Hortense's house of pleasure. Francis had a soft spot for Madame Hortense and flirting with her. "Proper, perhaps, but not prude. Lady O'Roarke told me that Lord Beverley is hung like a haggis!" 

In more seriousness, he said, "Lord Brooke is a privy councilor. Being owed a favor by such a man or his son is no small thing. Think on it. As for me, I have my yacht. There are quarters for me on it, albeit small, but it is more private than Buckingham's suite. His Majesty can hide wherever it pleases him anyway."

Cat had to laugh.  Francis was, indeed, dashing.  "Fig tarts, hmm.  Good to know," she said, filing that away.  She did have some dried figs, but perhaps some were available for sale at the market.  She'd also have to check her spice stock.  

"And what haggis has Lady O'Roarke had?  Stop.  I don't need to know about my brother's 'haggis'," she said, shaking her head, attempting to void any inkling of Douglas showing that about.  "I guess it's good to know Lord Beverly has his vices.  And the fact his father is on the Privy Council..."  Cat had tried to stay away from politics, but politics refused to stay away from her, so perhaps she should just give in.  And it was true, the King could make anywhere private, should he desire.  And if the lady was so inclined to join Francis on his yacht, good for her.  "I suspect there will be less sleeping on it and more baking on it," she said with a shrug.  It wasn't as though she was unfamiliar with little sleep.  Perhaps after her visit with Sophia tomorrow afternoon, she'd try to catch a nap.  Maybe.  "I will definitely think on it.  I value your opinion.  As much as I've tried to avoid anything related to politics, I really can't, can I?"

"I am no political aficionado myself. I bow to the tutelage of His Grace, who is the aficionado of such matters. I understand well-enough how favors at court work, for I was warned greatly by the Duke that my position would make me sought-after for such things and that I would have 'friends' crawling out of the woodwork. It is much easier to understand that business than all of the political allegiances of all these old families, my own included. Most in my position would have been living a court life since youth whilst I obeyed schoolmasters and served on ships. I knew next to nothing about most of these courtiers."

And then he was suddenly expected to be able to supply a name and a title for every face at court lest the King should not know one and ask him to supply it! Buckingham had put in a monumental amount of effort to catch him up, and His Majesty had extended him a good deal of indulgence knowing that the Duke had much work to do on him. 

"But no, one cannot be at court and entirely escape politics. Or, at least, one cannot escape the machinations of courtiers. That is its own variety of politicking. I am sure you picked up a thing or two from His Grace as well." Francis did know that the Duke had been involved in bringing the lady to the attention of the King. His uncle knew the King's tastes more intimately than any. Francis had needed to learn all of that too. One could not just provide mermaids to the King to keep him happy and sated. "Favors owed are power. A lady at court cannot have too much power." Not being able to hold a position or serve any official political role, a lady's currency was different. 

"His Grace literally forced me into His Majesty's arms," she chuckled.  Of course, she had already come to His attention during the hunt, but Buckingham had given her good information to keep His attention and thus saving her from Lauderdale.  "But I'm afraid I may have forgotten all he told me.  I am a very bad pupil, it seems."  Cat wanted to stomp her foot and curse, but there was no getting around politics, especially any lady who shared the King's bed.  She needed to make sure she made her way back into the Duke's good graces if she had fallen out of favor.  Seemed there would be two treat baskets needed sent to those rooms.  She had come here to clear her mind, not add more to it.  But, that was how life worked.  "Trying to curry favor does not come naturally to me.  But I shall try."  Cat sounded like the 19 year old she was then.  A bit pouty and a bit ashamed.