JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Princely Solace on the Battlements | Afternoon 15th

Atop the Round Tower Battlements

Though some battlements of Windsor could be accessed by the courtiers, the battlements atop the Round Tower where his master made his residence were fairly private. One would have to be staying with the prince and know where to go. It was a place where Beverley frequently had talks with the Duke of Cumberland. It provided a great view of the castle and surroundings.

Beverley made his way up there, happy that it would be one place nobody could accost him about their accommodations, or the water, or the privies, or any other number of ridiculous things like fireplaces and windows. 

Wearing a justacorps of soft grey with amply embroidered cuffs over navy coloured breeches and matching hat with white plume, Beverley ran his hand over the rough stone until he sighted his master looking out over things in peace and quiet. 

At Cumberland's acknowledgement he removed his hat and bowed in that fluid, practiced way of a gentleman who had existed at court and around this most particular prince for a long time, even if he was only in his early twenties. He placed his hat back on his head, smiled a bit, and exhaled through his nose at the moment of peace he would now receive. 

For whatever he spoke about here with the prince, even rooms and fireplaces and windows, it would be far more relaxing than being called after, stalked up to, and spoken down at from any number of personages who felt themselves very grand.

The Cavalier Prince had his back to Beverley, both hands on the cold stoneworks as he surveyed the forest in the distance.  No doubt, there were memories coming unbidden to him of years long gone.

He heard his aide approach.  "Beverley," he acknowledged without turning to face the younger man.  "The battlements will provide you respite from the barking dogs at court.  "How bad is the barking?" he inquired knowing that he had placed his aide in an unenviable position.

"Good afternoon, Your Highness," Beverley replied. "Up here, away from it all," he added. "Surely, nobody shall find me for a short while."

He joined Cumberland against the stone, looking out. "Do you know how dogs bark when simply startled, Sir? That is how these dogs are barking. At everything."  A little laugh of disbelief escaped him as he added, "The rooms are so small that Lord Somesuch can smell the chamberpot. To which I replied his servant should be more diligent in emptying it, that's it's naught to do with the room, and even less a problem I need attend to."

Taking in a deep breath, the comparatively short Beverley looked up at his master, "I believe they are trying to outdo one another with their complaints to accentuate their own, erm, grandiosity. They seem to forget I'm not their Steward but yours." In which light, he should be treated with more respect. 

"No problems then?"  It sounded as if the complaints were mundane.  The King and York had not tried to intervene with him on behalf of anyone.  That was a good sign.

"You have doubled up and tripled up some gentlemen and ladies.  I had expected pandemonium by now.  Ah, but the season is young," he sighed.  "Anyone you accommodate should make a donation to the naval fund don't you think?"  He offered a wry smile as the two of them spent the last two seasons doing fundraising.

"Kingston has an idea for a yacht race.  Each entrant pays an entry fee and we establish official betting whereby the naval fund will gain a percentage of any bets and any purse.  I think we need some sort of trophy to award. The entrants will all be royalty or ducal I suspect, meaning the trophy needs to be ... memorable.  Your thoughts?"

"Nothing Your Highness need concern about," Beverley replied. "There are a few who did not like those they are in proximity to and asked to be moved for various reasons. Some believed they should be on a lower floor or a better tower, but that is to be expected. There is both His Majesty's preferment and rank to consider, not just one or the other. Those of high rank oft take offense about those whom His Majesty keeps close in company and wishes preference shown to."

He had needed to double up some of those who were single gentlemen, and many of the Queen's ladies who did not have family rooms were placed together, but that was typical in such places. Of course, he expected there to be bickering and unease, but he had hoped they'd have the good sense not to endlessly complain to him, for there was truly nowhere to move anyone. 

"Kingston?" Beverley replied. There was an ever so slight frown on his face. In some instances he was one of those from the old-blooded families who found offense in the quick rise of some at court, but he was also intelligent enough to know his master's preferment. His master liked Kingston and had been in long friendship with the Legges, who were Kingston's uncles and grandparents. "He does have a great many ideas for making coin," the viscount agreed. It was not the first time Kingston had raised money for Cumberland, and he also risked his ships and business in privateering, so even Beverley could see Kingston had some worth. Whether it was worth an earldom in his mind, the viscount would eternally be quiet about in respect of his master. "I am certain I could enlist Sir George to help from the betting end of things." Sir George Legge and Beverley worked together closely with the ordnance and were friendly. He likely had more gambling experience than Beverley and as Kingston's relation, would be a good choice. "He is in your Tower, next to my rooms, I could speak with him, or you could?"

As to a trophy worthy of a royal, well, Beverley blinked. With short notice, there might be a few limitations. "Is there something we could cast in your foundry and plate with gold? It would grant more exposure to your work and invention, Sir." 

"So, this season is to be kind to you with petty complaints only," Cumberland observed.  "Thank Heaven for small favors."  Yet, in Rupert's experience some of the greatest logistical battles came several days into a season when the newness of things wore thin.

"George Legge is a good choice," he acknowledged.  "Beverley, I need you to keep Peg away from any wager on this race.  She has lost me half a fortune with cards.  She cannot moderate herself when it comes to gambling.  She will be inclined to wager every coin I own to support me.  This affair will already cost me a meaningful sum.  I need you to restrain her any way you can."

As for the trophy, the Prince carried on with his aide's idea.  "Let us get a small ship model plated in gold at my foundry as soon as possible.  What shall we call it?  The Windsor Trophy.  Surely there is a better name."

Beverley smiled in a way he rarely smiled at others. He was exceedingly loyal to his princely master for not being treated like a foolish boy. At least not for quite some time now. In the beginning, he had been one and treated as one. He had been scared stupid of a man when the top of his head only reached the Lord High Admiral's chin. It still did, but he wasn't a child anymore.

"It has barely been a full day, Sir. There is yet plenty of time for claws to come out, chins to jut up, and walking sticks to be waved in my face." 

The viscount nodded when his master approved of the idea of Sir George, for Legge was a capable man. Clearly, as the governor as a port and having charge of the ordnance, he could keep track of things, people, and accounts. Plus, Beverley would not mind working with him in this project.

However, his dark eyebrows popped up as high as they would go, his mouth making a little O, his brow lines raising. "Me, Your Highness?" he asked, for a moment perhaps giving a hint of the boy he had once been. "By any means I can?"

Beverley, if one listened to his father, had difficulty restraining himself where coin and gambling were concerned, and there was a bit of doubt in himself from having it driven in so hard and being watched so closely.

Then he quickly added, "Of course, I will not fail you."

His mind could hardly be on the trophy after that, and he was not known for his ability with words. Far from it, actually. "Perhaps, Lord Kingston or Sir George would be better at the naming of such a regal thing? Pretty or witty words are not my strong suit."

"Best to expect the worst," he acknowledged.  He assumed that Beverley would rise to the occasion with complainers,

"My preference is that she know nothing of the race, but there is little chance of it.  I could try to send her away for a fortnight but she would never forgive me.  I could forbid her from gambling but I do not trust that she would not find a way around my instruction by asking you or another to place her bet.  You need to find a way to prevent her gamble."  He would be under pressure enough to win the race without his entire fortune hanging in the balance.

"Yes, I will think on it and consult others."  Maybe the Windsor Trophy name was good enough.

"Perhaps if I enlisted her help in keeping track of the bets, she would not be able to place any, Your Highness? I could find something for her to do that would allow me to keep an eye on her, and I could make it seem as if doing it would be of great benefit to you."

He further brainstormed, "If unofficial and side-betting were prohibited for the event as it is to raise charitable funds, all bets would have to funnel through me. Any that side bet and get caught, would have their bets negated and His Majesty could levy a steep fine to further discourage it. He oft does when courtiers, erm, misbehave."

"That might work," Rupert admitted, feeling a small bit of optimism.  "Peg is a schemer.  I shall not rest easy."

The idea was a good one, but enforcement of such an edict was questionable.  Might it have the effect of encouraging more unsanctioned betting?  The old prince had seen situations where edicts encouraged opposite behavior.  Yet, there was hope that it might be honored on the basis that the race was to benefit naval charity.

"If he levies steep fines," Rupert supposed, "it might raise even more funds."  That sounded satisfying.  "Perhaps we should introduce a policy of fines for bad behavior at Windsor, to benefit the Navy."  He wondered if the King could be coaxed into it, and delegate that authority to Rupert.

"I bow to your superior knowledge of the lady, Sir," Beverley said, diplomatically, with a dip of his head.

She had always been kind to Beverley, as evidenced by taking care of him after Rochester attempted to poison them all at Brighton. He could appeal to her care for him if need be, tell her that he depended upon her to help him and that if anything went amiss, he could lose his position. Appealing to a woman's soft heart always seemed to do the trick. As he had seen with his lord father, it did not always work when it was your wife. Or pseudo-wife in his master's case.

Surely none of them could break the rules with so many eyes on them without he, Beverley, taking the blame. He could hear himself now. He could remind her of the times, in years past, when the prince had yelled at him and dressed him down like some errant boy peon. He had not learned his masters preferences because Cumberland had pet him and said "there, there, lad, that's a good try."

His master had said by any means!

The thought of fines levying even more funds made Beverley's eyes flare momentarily. "Of course, that is very true," Beverley said appreciatively, nodding vehemently as Cumberland suggested all fines for breaking rules of court behavior at Windsor be used for the Navy. "It could even be a large sum if His Majesty agreed to split the fines with you, Sir. We could keep stringent watch, for Windsor is not the maze that is Whitehall, if the King will allow it to you. It is easy to observe people here."

It was clear that Beverley was giving much thought to his problem with Peg.  He was a good lad and likely to come up with some scheme to counter Peg's scheme.  It might be that Rupert himself could forbid Peg from gambling, telling her that he would sell her jewelry to pay off any wager.  She liked her pretty things, almost as much as she liked him.

"I shall ask the King to announce that proper etiquette is the order of the season.  I shall ask that you and select others be etiquette enforcers with the power to fine any gentleman up to ten pounds for a breach of etiquette such as not using the correct form of address, employing a swear word, not being chivalrous with a lady, presenting an unkempt appearance or being unclothed in public.  Maybe a low fine on first offense.  What say you Beverley?  Are you up for it?  Are there others that you trust that understand the importance of etiquette?  Best not invite Langdon.  He might have offenders arrested," it was a small attempt at humor.  "I would give a pass to Kingston as well.  Let him chase his slanderers rather than improper behavior." 

While Rupert would enjoy raising funds, he had little interest in policing etiquette.  It seemed beneath him, but he supposed he would be the chief judge if some lord wished to appeal his fine. Good etiquette would please his niece and help make the Windsor season more pleasant.  Frankly, he would rather be sponsoring a competition for inventors with a grand prize.  There would be time enough for that.

"I am up for anything which would benefit your Highness," Beverley replied. "I would see to any duty you wished of me."

It was, after all, his job to see to all things which made Cumberland's life and positions easier to manage. Princes did not stoop to such things, and his master preferred everything done with military-like precision and detail. That was what an aide was for, so it did not matter if it was organizing the correspondence very morning, assigning rooms, hawking specific deliveries, or managing audiences and other engagements. Beverley did whatever he was asked to do, mostly without having to be asked. The prince had a cadre of servants and clerks he made use of in the execution. 

"It is not a difficult task to watch the behavior of courtiers, Sir. There are any number of Windsor's servants who see and hear things and can report them to me. I will think on what others might be useful, but many of are too significant a personage to be asked to such a task by me." He thought specifically of Lord Mountjoy, who Beverley would trust but did not think appropriate. "Unless you wished to ask them. Princes are not to be refused. Viscounts, with living fathers especially, do not enjoy the same privilege," he added with a small laugh, in his own attempt at a joke. "Then I would suggest Lord Mountjoy, who does everything properly. There are few I would trust with your business."

"Yes, Mountjoy," the Prince agreed.  "He comes from good stock and was trained properly."  The older man knew Mountjoy's father and grandfather.  "Members of the Bar also excel at passing judgment on others."  The small smile marked the statement as a weak attempt at humor.  "A good choice.  And what of a lady collaborator? We shall need the sensibilities of the other gender.  They excel at noticing the smallest slights and remembering them well."  Perhaps that was a statement intended to apply beyond the realm of the topic at hand.

"Do not let this assignment result in new conflicts and enemies for yourself.  My hope that the fines are small enough to not engender long time animus.  By making it almost a patriotic duty, we give you armor against insult."

Beverley looked embarrassed for a moment as his master asked about a lady collaborator. It was true that they noticed everything and forgot nothing, he had heard similar words from his lord father, but...

"You know I am not the most skilled with ladies, Sir. Nor is it very appropriate for a young man without a wife to spend much time in their company, so I am not well-versed in the, erm, opposite sex aside from those who were my former marriage candidates." He swallowed, "I doubt my lady wife would find a collaboration of mine with any of them pleasing. Are there any proper young ladies that you have heard of?"

He added, "I could, of course, recruit my lady wife. She hears many things in the talk amongst the Queen's ladies."

Beverley blinked at the last caution. "They do not need to know who is reporting them, do they? It would not make me a very popular person, to be sure, and would also make it less likely to catch anyone. They would behave when I was around. The fines could come from my office or yours and could simply specify the offense without detail of who reported it, merely that it was reported? I assume when His Majesty fines someone through the Lord Chamberlain's office, they do not personally blame Lord Arlington."

(OOC - since there wasn't any confronting the witness against you clause in our era, I think Beverley's supposition is sensible LOL)

Hearing his aides explanation, he sympathized with the man's plight.  "By all means recruit your wife.  That will give her assurance that your interactions are above board.  I think I will speak to my niece and recruit all of her ladies to be our agents.  Yes, that would be best."  Perhaps that would be enough.  Rupert realized he was so old that he knew very few young ladies at court.  He rarely paid them much attention.

"I suppose if you encounter a proper lady that would serve well, you could recruit her to the cause, but I suspect it will be enough that we have all the Queen's ladies."  He thought further on it.  "We could recruit some of the King's men but I suspect they would make more a game of it than intended."  They were very young.  Rupert found that the King preferred to surround himself with young entertaining men than those of the old guard.

"When fined, they will seek you out for information or appeal, just as you are sought to hear every complaint here.  There may be some who do not take it lightly, perceiving it as an insult about their demeanor or training," Cumberland tried to explain. 

"I think she would enjoy the idea that she might also be of service to you," Beverley said. 

He nodded at Cumberland's vast wisdom. "Those of the King's household that are not like to make it a game are likewise too highly ranked to bother with such tasks," Beverley replied in agreement. When the season was upon them, the King's household was packed with the heads of the most prominent families serving as Gentlemen of the Bedchamber, especially in the mornings. In some cases their eldest son or heir might serve as a proxy. They would likely balk at such a duty. 

"Oh, yes, of course," Beverley replied as his master clarified that they would come to Beverley regardless of whether they knew who reported them. "But it would be undignified to find fault when I am only doing my duty and not identifiable as their accuser, so I can, erm, handle such things. I have handled many complaints about many things from all sorts of personages in my service to you, Sir, I'm not worried about that. It would be ungentlemanly for them to, erm, blame the messenger - I think they say - for doing as their position requires. It would say more about them than it would of me." He chuckled and joked, "Perhaps they could be fined for being ridiculous about their fines."

"Husbands should find things to do with their wives, other than child rearing," he advised.  "They appreciate it so.  The life of following around a queen and running errands can fulfil a girl with dreams only so much."

As Beverley explained his plan, Rupert was convinced that he did not need to contrive further protection for his aide.  The man seemed ready to handle the pettiness of it all.

"A further word of advice ," the older man spoke somberly as his gaze went towards the sky.  "Many of the King's men live life as if it is nothing but a game, a comedy written for them by an indulgent playwright.  Do not envy them Beverley." he moved to look his aide in the eye.  "Life is about purpose.  It is about meaning.  It is about duty.  Some lose sight of that in a merry court.  I know you will not."  He reached out and gave the younger man a pat on his shoulder.  "Now go and make your wife happy with your presence and your news."  He offered a small warm smile.

Beverley did not know too very much what the Queen and her ladies got up to. He assumed embroidery or something. His wife and the Queen were about the same age and both were pregnant and had a child around the same time, so he assumed they at least had something to talk about. 

"I try, Sir. We do have things in common like enjoying to ride, so we do that when we might." Then he blinked and belated added, "Horses." In case that was not obvious. "I was lucky in that my father allowed me to forth my ideas on my own match, even if he reserved the final choice, so I got the chance to speak to Mary before we were betrothed."

When the Prince spoke the word 'advice,' Beverley looked up at him quite seriously, even if Cumberland was looking up at the sky. There was much Beverley had learned from the elder man, and it was sometimes easier to take advice from one who was not your father, who did not treat you as if you were a child or incompetent or untrustworthy. 

"I do not envy them, Your Highness. I prefer my service to you and am grateful for it. I am not well cut out for a service so...social...in nature." That was a mild way of putting it. Beverley preferred activity, and he did not so much like small talk and trying to being witty, because he was not witty and had no skill at flirting.  "I won't lose sight of that, Sir. You have taught me that by example." 

Beverley smiled under the pat to his shoulder. There were few praises or gestures he appreciated so much as that. 

"Thank you, Sir. I will," he replied. He bowed and took his leave, looking out over the side of the battlements as he walked back toward the stairs. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Horses?" Rupert replied.  "I am surprised your father would allow you to mount one," he added good-naturedly.  Everyone knew that many courtiers died falling from horseback and everyone knew Brooke allowed no risk to his heir.  "Perhaps in a coach?" he added in further mild amusement.  "Young wives prefer being close to their husbands in a coach."

His aide was wise enough to see that the King's men were mostly viewed for their wit than their service to the realm.  While the Prince respected most of the King's men, he felt the King cultivated more frivolous qualities in those that served him.  Beverley was not a frivolous person.  He was a serious young man, something the King did not value enough, at least in Rupert's opinion.

"You are a good man Beverley," the old prince complimented.  He would never entertain an aide that was not.