JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

To Lord Chatham | arrives 4th April

Nicolette had planned to visit Chatham’s small apothecary at his new house on Piccadilly. Supposed, meaning that she’d agreed to help him with identifications, prior to considering that visiting a single gentleman of his repute by herself was hardly sensible.   

The French Belle existed in a curious state of faithfulness to His Majesty in anticipation of becoming a recognised mistress, you might say she behaved as she meant to go on.  

Quite aside from the off putting sulk that he’d been in at Buckinghams party, Nicolette discovered a lack of desire to carry out her April the firsts plans.   Rather than herself, it was a letter that arrived to his door late that morning.

Dear Lord Chatham

I am peeved with you Lord Chatham, if that is the correct English word, for your lack of effort the other evening.  It was such a dismal exchange that I am loathe to risk a repeat of it, while my spirits might seem to some to be eternally effervescent – they are not. I do not wish then to join you in residance beneath your cloud of doom, a cloud that shall no doubt self-fulfil its misery to any beneath it.  

You discover me conflicted, for it was my forfeit for losing our dare that I assist with your apothecary’s identification, a task that I might usually take great joy in.   To now decline, would be untrue to my promise.  But should I truly be now compelled against my better judgment?  How on earth can we proceed then Lord Chatham.

At the very least I wish to reschedule, while I await your reply for a suggested resolution to this pickle.

I remain &c. &c.

N. Vauquelin

Charles snorted. It was not a surprise, really, when you thought about it, which he had not. It was vexing, though, to find that Nicolette held his temporary ill humour against him. (Oh, he would freely concede that, in retrospect, he ought not to have bothered with Buckingham's party, but he had hoped that it would raise his spirits. Being asked to behave like a performing monkey had had quite the opposite effect.)

He allowed himself a wry smile, and dashed off a quick reply. It was not a matter of any great import, and there was no point in dwelling on it.

Dear Mademoiselle Vauquelin,

You must of course do as seems best to you, and, if calling upon me is what you think you ought not to do, then I shall not press you to it.

You may consider yourself free of any obligation towards me, for in truth I won no victory in the matter of our wager. There is then no 'pickle,' as you put it, and your mind may rest at ease.

Your servant,

Chatham.

• 1 year later...

arrives by hand saturday morning (before church) 

It had been some time Friday evening that Nicolette discovered Chatham’s letter again, tucked into a book as a marker - both of which page she was up to and to reply to the Earl.   How many days had it been now? Quite a few.  Was it too many days even to reply now? Ordinarily the answer to that question might be yes, but amidst the utter boredom of Easter, she guessed that he nor she would be so critical. 

Chatham my Friend. 

Now doesn’t that sound very 'chummy', and terribly English, although I do doubt people shall mistake me for a reticent English rose - despite my growing proficiency with the language.  For alas (what a quaint word that is too!), and alack, I am so bored that I shall shortly break any pretence of reserve. 

Aren’t you bored too? I should guess that the greatest percentage of us are, thus if you claim otherwise I simply shall not believe you.   But what shall be done about that?  Surely some sort of discreet entertainment is in order? 

And so I call upon my most impressive title of Lady of Misrule, and decree a covert assemblage of the faithful in His Majesties laudable wine cellar, all very cloak and dagger!  Perhaps to enjoy a tipple, a game of cards, and most of all a little levity.  Whisper of it to all your friends and I shall whisper to mine, and let us converge say at nine Saturday evening!

Nicolette  

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin

• 1 month later...

Charles did not ordinarily attend to correspondence in the morning, particularly at the weekend, but given the dearth of amusement on offer, he was grateful for any respite from drudging normality. Doubly so once he had read what Nicolette had written.

My dear Mademoiselle Vauquelin,

Reticent you may not be, but never has a finer blossom graced any garden, and so as the rose is forgiven its thorns you shall be forgiven your candour. (Not that I for my part think it anything in need of forgiveness. I too have put aside any pretence of reserve, you see.)

I shall not contest that I am most damnably bored — the delights of the season past seem to belong to another life and another man entirely, and even were it otherwise, I would not have it said that the Lady of Misrule called and I failed to answer. I shall see you at the Wine Cellar.

Your friend,

Chatham.