JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

To Lady Kendishall | arrives 1st April, evening

Written on a piece of cream-colored paper, scented softly with rose and vanilla, and penned in Sophia's flowery handwriting:

Dear Lady Kendishall,

I hope you are well and that you enjoyed your recess.

I will be holding a concert on the evening of the fifth of April and would like to invite you to perform with me on your cello. If you accept, we should probably get together and practice. I am free all day tomorrow and in the late afternoon on Sunday if either of these times would work for you.  Monday is an option as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you and I hope that your answer is yes. You are a wonderful musician and I would be honored if you joined me.

Sincerely,

Sophia de la Cerda, Lady Toledo

Accompanying the letter was a box containing a beautiful, colorful embroidered and beaded bag, just the perfect size for carrying sheet music in. Sophia sent the gift and the letter with a servant to be delivered immediately.

Her servant would return with the same letter but there was now a reply on the back of it.

Sweet Sophia,

I was delighted to receive your letter and accompanying gift. How very kind of you. I would be thrilled to perform with you in your planned concert. I have not played in public since that opera last year and I miss the fun and excitement. I am certain you will get an enthusiastic audience both for your talented singing voice and for the men, your other two assets. As for myself I will have to rely upon my cello!

Sunday should be good for a practice. How about at my residence since there would be more privacy than you amongst all those Spaniards. I will expect you sometime in the late afternoon then unless you inform me differently.

Sincerely,

Caroline Despanay

Edited by Caroline Despanay

• 2 weeks later...

~arrives early evening on 2nd April

Dear Lady Kendishall,

I am so happy that you will be performing with me. I am calling the concert Rhapsody in Rose since it will be held in the Scarlet Drawing room. We can discuss ideas before or after our practice. And thank you for offering to host our rehearsal. How about we meet on Sunday evening after dinner?  Please let me know if that's a good time for you.

Sincerely,

Sophia