JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Friendly Visit | Sunday, 3 pm- Xmas 1677

Sophia de la Cerda

“That is true,” Sophia nodded. “Because I attended a couple of seasons here, I knew what to expect in Spain. I think I did well enough there for a foreigner who stands out by her appearance alone. There are not many fair-skinned blondes among the nobility of Madrid.”

As to Esteban's family. “He has four siblings. I would call that a large family. I don't know them well enough to miss them yet, and I doubt they think of me often either. Perhaps we will grow closer in time. His youngest sister lives with us. She is pleasant and kind, and we get along quite well, though she is mute and we cannot communicate in the conventional way. I do not feel as if I need any attendants and I have enough friends at court to keep me company.”  She didn't like Karl following her around all the time; she certainly didn't want a group of ladies doing the same.

Sarah certainly had a lot of questions, but Sophia didn't mind them in the least. “I could speak enough Spanish to carry on a conversation when I went to Madrid last recess. My command of the language has improved since then, though it will be quite some time before I become fluent. And yes, I do have a tutor who gives me lessons twice a week. And I practice with my husband too. I think he is pleased by how well I have learned his mother tongue.” Sophia chuckled. “My Spanish is much better than his German or Italian.”

"So she does not speak but can hear? Or not either? That must be difficult I should imagine."

"You should always have attendants Baroness for that reflects directly upon your own Status. Your Position allows for you to act as Sponsor to the unmarried daughters and sisters of the Spanish Nobility and to have one or two amongst your personal companions is both fitting and expected. Seeking to make good matches for them is also a thing that is well within your reach. Did you have to dismiss any of the German ladies that came with you?"

"As for servants - why do you not employ those that you have selected? Those that answer to you directly as the Ambassador's Lady. Tis your Duty to run the Household after all."

"This residence is where you live and thus under your control leaving your Husband free of worries to manage his Business."

"Do you emply a Steward on your side? This is a large House after all. No matter how honest a servant is there should always be an able person to supervise. In using servants trust is important. You must frequently inspect to ensure that what you have Said is being Done!"

"Friends do see to your personal wants nor are they a part of your Household."

"But then again perhaps you wish to allow others' to run everything and to remain in the dark? And of course Lord Toledo may wish for that so if that be the case then please to disregard anything that I have said!"

Sarah smiled acrossd to the other.

"I am, as you see, outspoken! You are more than capable Baroness in my opinion and I should like to see you thusly!"

"Do you think we can have more tea? Tis growing late and we both have to prepare for the nights Festivities! So I shall soon need to take my leave."

“She can hear but not speak,” Sophia said of Maria. “She understands only Spanish and French, but as I speak and read enough of both to get by, I speak to her and she writes down her reply. Or if I ask a 'yes' or 'no' question, she either nods or shakes her head. You get used to her way of communicating after awhile.”

Sophia had no intention of sponsoring unmarried ladies. She knew how much trouble they could get into because she herself had caused a lot of mischief when she was single. Plus, most of those ladies would be older than her and unlikely to do as she asked. Maybe in about ten years or so, she would change her mind.

Did Sarah think she was a pushover? “All of our servants answer to me and I did select most of them. It took them some time before they were comfortable taking orders from a teenage girl, but I earned their respect. I manage my household like any other married woman manages hers, I assure you. My lord husband spends most of his time at the Embassy and expects me to handle everything at home. He has neither the time nor inclination to do it himself.

“I know of everything that goes on here and my servants understand that they can come to me with any concerns they have, even if they are personal. I have helped members of their families find jobs and I have helped them financially when they needed something, such as medicines, that they could not afford. To my knowledge, they are quite happy serving me and I appreciate them greatly.”

The young Baroness smiled. “We Germans value bluntness, as I have said before. And yes, we can have some more tea before you go.” She nodded at a maid standing by, who hurried out of the room to see to her mistress' request.

(OOC: Shall we end it here?)

If Sarah was surprised at the litnany uttered regarding the capabilities the other possessed she hid it well. There was no telling how much was all for Show or was indeed Fact. 

"There you see - I was right is saying that I thought you capable! Lord Toledo is indeed in good hands with a Wife that understands all the ins and outs and I am relieved so shall not worry about You."

"Oh Good! I do like the taste of this brand - will you share its name or is it secret?"

Sarah would make the last parts of the conversation as light as possible as she did not want to leave Lady Toledo a reason to NOT invite her again. 

The gaining of information was after all a slow process.

(thank you!)