JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Coach with Catherine (12/30 evening)- Xmas 1677

Charles Whitehurst

They had left the party and now were on their way to Catherine's abode. If there was to be a shagging, he did not wish to do it at his home with Frances about. Langdon could only hope that Catherine had forgotten the encounter with Davina. Not likely.

"What a dull party," he sighed as they were underway. "We were lucky to make good our escape."

Catherine had noticed the way Charles' eyes had strayed toward Mistress Wellsley while he was making his excuses to Lord Toledo. Perhaps he had been wary of her because of her earlier inappropriate behavior, or maybe Catherine's suspicions had been correct and the two of them were more than friends. She had told herself that she would not be jealous if he took other lovers, but the thought of him with another woman seemed like a betrayal now that she was known as his mistress.

Or maybe, as she had already told herself several times, she was only being paranoid.

She sat across from him in the carriage but as soon as it began moving, Catherine slid beside him and pressed herself against him. “The party was tame, but the food wasn't,” she laughed. Kissing his neck lightly, she added: “There are much better ways to add spice to our evening.”

Fortunately, there was no mention of Davina. He felt relieved, even though it had been but a minute.

"Oh? What did you have in mind? I'm sure the only thing on your mind all night has been how to worship my body. I suppose you mean to spirit me away inside your abode and have your way with me until your carnal tastes are satisfied," he announced lightly in his game voice. As long as his lover was thinking about swiving, she was not thinking about Davina, or so Charles imagined.

Maybe she shouldn't have let him know how eager she was to shag him, but Catherine was determined to banish all thoughts of other women from his mind. Perhaps she had, but she had also given Charles an advantage in their ongoing game.

“The only reason you wanted to leave was because you couldn't wait to be alone with me. And since you're never happier than when I surrender to your every desire, I figured I would give you your Christmas present a bit early.”

She shook a finger at him. “You should really learn to hide your obsession better. I know that Lord Melville could tell how much you adored me. Mistress Wellsley probably could too.” Catherine watched his face closely, wondering how he would react to that last statement.

"Hah," he countered, not wanting to give an edge to Catherine. "Melville was just playing along. He saw how you were fawning over me and was polite in pretending otherwise," Charles asserted. "As for Miss Wellsley, it was likely a prank. The Queen's ladies like to make wagers among themselves who can get a King's man to hold their hand, or arm, or even gain a kiss. Perhaps she saw you so transfixed upon my face that you would not notice her slipping her arm through mine in front of witnesses." He had thought to make it sound like a prank or game, since Catherine and he had a game of their own. He also needed to make light of it, or so he imagined. "Of course, it could be that I am as irresistible to all ladies as I am to you." He was going to fight hard to not lose a point in their game as well.

"How curious, I was planning to give you the same belated Christmas gift," he laughed. "This is proof enough that it is what you desire most." He had a different pair of New years gifts in mind for Catherine.

She had not said anything about Mistress' Wellsley's inappropriate behavior, thinking Charles might have forgotten about it. But no, he made excuses for what she had done instead. He didn't even attempt to look embarrassed.

Warning bells rang loudly in Catherine's head. The pious and proper Queen would never condone such games among her ladies. They would be dismissed if they tried to tease gentlemen into taking liberties with them. There were plenty of young girls who would be overjoyed to serve her, and the position would honor their families as well. Why would she keep flirty girls in her service when she could choose others who would adhere to her strict moral standards, those whose fathers she or the King wished to reward?

Besides, Mistress Wellsley was the only lady-in-waiting at the party. Why would she play this game without any of the others to bear witness to what she had done?

He's lying.

Her amorous mood ruined, Catherine moved over so that she was no longer touching him. “Oh, you were irresistible to her, all right. That was quite plain.” Her voice was no longer playful. “Just how well do you know Mistress Wellsley, Charles? By the way she was acting, I would hazard a guess that the two of you are quite friendly.”

Charles was still trying to learn how women thought. Obviously, he had much to learn. Rather than act distressed, Charles thought it best to remain playful in the hopes of returning Catherine to a carefree manner. He was still learning as he went.

"Hah, you are jealous! I love it," he laughed. "Look at you all unhappy with the thought that other women might find me attractive." Charles was gloating openly as if he had just won their game permanently.

"No doubt Miss Wellsley finds me very attractive. Why else would she put her arm in mine?" he played along. "I was not surprised by it. I am quite used to it," he claimed, hoping she would remember how startled he was. "No doubt we are lovers secretly. The same is probably true for most of the other Queen's ladies. I am secretly meeting with most of them, and conquering them all with my charm. In fact, I think most of the ladies at the party tonight were secretly watching me when you were looking away, with longing looks like you give me. In fact, Lady Toledo wants to meet with me later at my house, to discuss my ward, or so she says. No doubt she wants to run her hands all over my body and kiss me until she can bear it no more," he tormented.

"Yet, here I am in a carriage with you tonight. It cannot be that I find your company ... acceptable," he teased anew. "No, it is all a ploy to make my many secret lovers jealous and now Wellsley has revealed the whole scheme by touching my arm. Yes, you have figured it all out Catherine," he goaded. "Or ... your green jealousy is making you see phantoms that are not there. I wonder which it is?" It was a gamble but Charles enjoyed tormenting ladies, so this tactic seemed natural to him.

Catherine told herself that she wasn't jealous. She just didn't want to be played for a fool. If he confessed that he fancied another lady, she believed she would accept it, just as Charles accepted that she wanted to resume her relationship with York. As long as he was discreet and didn't flaunt other lovers around court, she had no reason to complain. What she wanted was for him to be honest with her, but instead he laughed off her accusations.

She knew other women found him attractive. How could they not? And he had seemed uncomfortable when Mistress Wellsley linked her arm with his. He had not been expecting that. But what if he had felt not guilt but embarrassment? His speech seemed more like wishful thinking than anything else. All gentlemen wanted ladies to fawn all over them, and she had never noticed anyone in particular looking longingly at him besides for Fiona MacBain. That Scottish slut gazed at every man with lust in her eyes.

Maybe Charles was right and she was just being paranoid. The best course of action now was to give him the benefit of the doubt, to resume their game as if nothing had ever been amiss. If he slipped up again, she would know that he really was deceiving her.

Catherine grinned and winked at him, but she didn't move closer. “And you have fallen right into the trap I set for you. I knew that you would never want to incur my anger. If I was mad at you, you might lose me forever. And so to remain in my good graces … and, of course, my bed … you made up a fantastical story to appease me. That just proves that you are so obsessed with me that you will do anything to keep me happy so that I will never leave you.”

She shook her head. “That story about the game played by the Queen's ladies was a bit too much, though. You should know that I am aware of the strict standards to which she holds her attendants. Even a simple rumor that they aren't innocent and chaste would be a cause for dismissal and disgrace.”

It worked! Charles was rather pleased with himself.

"Trap?" he stammered. "You walked into my trap, not the other way around. You were the one moving away from me, all hurt like. You are just trying to salvage the situation once I sprung the trap on you," he insisted. He was still trying to piece together her argument.

"I have the same risk of losing you as I do my shadow," he continued in a cavalier way. "You both are so attached to me," he laughed.

"You think the maids act like that in front of the Queen?" he queried. "They compete with each other trying to land the best husband and trying to prove who is the most popular." It was important to try and give credibility to his prior story. "it is not like they are running around naked and fornicating freely," he laughed. "They do not attend libertine events surely, but do not underestimate their willingness to surprise a lord with an arm through his or an excuse to collect a kiss. No doubt they have some wager among themselves, not that I mind of course," he concluded with a smile.

She certainly didn't have to wait long for him to make another blunder. Catherine seethed inside but her expression and her voice remained mischievous. “So you and Mistress Wellsley planned to trap me together? Is that why she linked her arm with yours … to make me jealous? Then you must be very good friends indeed. Why, she risked her reputation for the sake of a joke. How did you convince her to do that?”

Catherine deliberately misinterpreted his following comment, partially because she was too miffed to come up with a fitting retort, and partially because she was still testing him. “You think both myself and Mistress Wellsley are attached to you? Is that why she agreed to trick me?”

He made the (fictional?) game between the ladies-in-waiting sound more dangerous than he had probably intended. “And what if one of the gentlemen they tease tell Her Majesty? Or what if his wife does? Or just someone who witnessed their mischief? It seems unbelievable to me that they would take risks that would damage not only themselves but their families as well.”

Her manner was still playful. “I think you're making all that up to convince me that you're irresistible to the ladies so that I will be as smitten with you as you are with me. You would go to any lengths to bind me to you forever.”

Things were progressing a bit further than Charles had intended. While he was beginning to like the narrative that he had arranged a trick with Davina, there was a warning shot in his mind. What would Catherine do? Would she confront Davina about it? Did he really want too much scrutiny of his relationship with her? The light humor was replaced with light caution. He needed to end this line of query.

"I have nothing to say," he replied airily, "other than you were trapped into becoming jealous of me and getting upset." He was merely trying to paint that the situation was he had won a large number of points in their ongoing game as a result. "All I can say is that I know you are attached to me. You cannot deny it now. As for the Queen's lady, she was attached to me, for a moment at least."

Catherine continued to dispute his story about the Queen's ladies. Though Charles was getting in deeper by the moment, he comforted himself by thinking that no one would be able to know the truth of it. "What gentleman would complain to the Queen about such pranks? Really. Am I to complain to the Queen that Miss Wellsley was too familiar with me for looping her arm in mine for a moment unasked? No one would do that. If a King's gentleman gave you a kiss, would you complain to the King? Hardly. It is all in good fun anyway. It is the holidays Catherine. You need to not be so serious. Admit that I bested you and plot your revenge for another day. You did well with Duncan. You had me cornered for a time, but I turned the tables."

"Do I need to convince you I am irresistible to ladies? Hardly," he chuckled "You can't resist me, so why think any other lady can?" He reached to try and take her hand in his, offering an olive branch of sorts. "Still, of all the ladies at court, look who I choose to be with this night. That does not mean I am nearly as smitten as you are with me," he added hastily in case she tried to make a point with it. "Rather, I just thought to reward your total obsession with me. You did not look like you would last long without my caress."

“You may have nothing to say, but perhaps she does,” Catherine replied flippantly. “Not that I'm going to ask her.” Would she? She wasn't sure. “You're so blinded by your passion for me that you can't see that I was by no means jealous, just concerned. I don't want you to get in trouble with the Queen for seducing one of her ladies, even if that was not your intention. Who knows what Mistress Wellsley thinks now? She looked much more attached to you than you claim I am.”

She thought it a bit odd that he didn't deny that he and Davina had teamed up to trick her, even though she had just made that story up to see what his reaction would be. The look of surprise on his face when the other woman had linked arms with him proved that he had not been aware of what she was going to do. And yet he allowed Catherine to believe that her tale was true.

Why?

Maybe just to score a few points in their game. He was obviously not trying to protect Mistress Wellsley's reputation, which she would have expected him to do if they were lovers. And all gentlemen liked to think that women adored them.

Charles did, however, defend the game the Queen's ladies played, which Catherine believed he had created to explain Mistress Wellsley's strange behavior. Maybe he was trying to protect her after all, by making excuses for her.

“Not all gentlemen would welcome their attentions, knowing that they may upset the Queen if they were caught kissing her ladies. And what about the people who witness their games? They might not mention their mischief to Her Majesty, but they would tell all their friends and gossip spreads like wildfire here at court. She would find out sooner or later.

“And that is what I would do if one of the King's gentlemen kissed me without my consent. I would spread it around that he kissed like a dead fish and the King would not be pleased that his gentleman was the subject of ridicule, perhaps to the point that said gentleman was dismissed.”

Catherine shook her head when he claimed he had bested her. “It doesn't count when you have help and you have all but admitted that Mistress Wellsley was in on your prank.”

When he took her hand, she scooted closer and entwined her fingers with his. “Of course, you chose to be with me. Your desire for me consumes you're every thought.” She lifted their clasped hands. “And this is proof. You're so enamored that you couldn't wait another moment to touch me.”

"Looked more attached than you?" Charles scoffed in the continuation of their game. "She loops her arm in mine temporarily and you stand there looking at me longingly non-stop," he tormented. "Turning away from me hurt was not jealousy? See how you ask after her? See how you warn me against her, as if I was foolish enough to seduce one of the Queen's ladies? The only thing we have discussed since we entered this coach is Miss Wellsley." He pointed at her accusingly in the dark. "Only a jealous and obsessed woman would do that Have I asked you anything about a man paying attention to you? No. Because I am secure in the knowledge that you worship me." He could not help but chuckle at the last point, even though he had wanted to pretend being serious. He had not meant to be so over the top in his vanity, but he felt he finally had her. He needed to get her to stop thinking about Davina and focused on something different, like the year end ball.

"Now then, it is best that you just confess I won, kiss me and beg my forgiveness." His smile was too broad for him to appear serious. "That is unless you want to keep talking about the Wellsley chit some more, pretending that you are not seething with jealousy."

Now Catherine wished she had not moved away from him. She had felt more betrayed than jealous, but the two emotions were closely related. The only way to gain the upper hand now was to ignore that impulsive act instead of trying to defend herself ... and to let the subject of Mistress Wellsley go for the time being.

“You are so smitten with me that you are now having delusions. You have told me that you don't watch me all the time, so if that is true, then you couldn't possibly know whether or not I was looking at you. You just assumed I was because that is what you want to believe. If one of the gentlemen at the party had looped his arm with mine, you would have quickly whisked me away from him and insisted we leave even earlier than we did. I suppose it was a good thing that they were more interested in politics than flirting.

"As you must have noticed, I did no such thing when Mistress Wellsley accosted you. I found the situation rather amusing until I realized that you could lose everything you have if the Queen thinks you're trying to seduce one of her ladies. Like I said before, I was concerned."

When he told her what she should do, Catherine smirked like the cat that got the cream. “Yet more proof that you adore me … asking me for a kiss. You will not be content until your tongue dances with mine, but unless you admit that I won this round, then you will have to wait until we get to my place.”

In truth, she thought that he had bested her by a hair, but of course, she would never admit it.

“So why don't we discuss something else?” She leaned her head against his shoulder. “Did you ever think of letting Frances stay with Lady Kendishall for a few days? She would probably give the Frenchwoman so much trouble that she would bring her back after half an hour anyway.”

"Concern and jealousy are just two sides of the same coin," Charles countered. "Your feeble attempts to mask your mistake is not fooling anyone you know. You revealed your cards and now you can no longer hide them again." He did not think the matter was close at all. He chortled in glee at besting Catherine while at the same time finding a way for her to move on from Davina.

"I'm not kissing you then," he announced firmly. "Perhaps I should not kiss you again until you admit the obvious. You are a jealous creature and you cannot even imagine another woman touching me. You should confess your sin. It will do your soul good," he laughed.

As for Frances staying with Caroline, all the good humor drained from his face. "I would rather stick my arm in burning pitch and then cut it off with a dull dagger," he spat. Already plotting against the French widow he added "I think she wants Frances because she hopes to learn English secrets that Frances may have overheard so that she can tell her French spymasters. I think I may need to investigate the shrew and arrest her if she is a truly a spy." Of course, if there was no evidence of her being a spy, Charles knew how to manufacture such evidence. Had he not done the same to get the infamous Baron of Chelsea years before? The end justified the means after all.

“Is that so?” Catherine asked. “So whenever you are concerned about your fellow soldiers, you are really jealous of them? I know that's not true, because you're only jealous of gentlemen who flirt with me and none of your soldiers even know me.” She wagged a finger at him again. “And I told you that it doesn't count when you have help and you all but admitted that Mistress Wellsley was in on your prank. If I had conspired with someone else, you would say the same.”

She grinned smugly. “But I will be generous and say that we're even.”

He claimed he was not going to kiss her and Catherine wondered if she had trapped herself. What if he didn't shag her when they arrived at her residence? No, that wouldn't happen. His desire would prevail over his willpower. It always did. Charles was a man of great passion and she was his weakness. And they could shag without kissing. “Lying is never good for the soul and if I said I was jealous, that is what I would be doing. So take my offer and consider us tied for this round.”

His laughter was replaced by anger when she brought up the subject of Frances. Catherine reluctantly admitted that he could be right about the reason Lady Kendishall wanted custody of the girl. She could very well be a spy. But why would she think that Charles would confide in a street rat? The very idea was absurd. “Perhaps another lady can take her in then, at least until she gets over the ridiculous crush she has on you. And what if you decide to marry again? Do you think your wife is just going to accept having an unrelated young girl in your household, when she might grow up to be a rival for your affections?”

"I am not jealous of other men that flirt with you," Charles countered. "In fact, Bradley was quite taken with you when I brought you to dinner. I do believe you charmed him. Am I jealous? No. I encouraged him to think of you fondly," he confessed. "If you wanted to kiss him, I would not care. I'd react that you were showing him a kindness. Had you a sister and she took a shining to me, you would get all hurt and turn away from me in the coach like you did tonight." He was not going to give up on winning a complete victory this evening. "You can only kiss me when you admit absolute defeat tonight," he challenged.

Back on the topic of Frances, Charles considered the possibility of another lady looking after her, but who? "Only a jealous woman would see Frances as a threat. That would mean YOU!" he laughed triumphantly. "She is just a child and already you see her as a rival," he accused. The evidence kept stacking up in his mind. How was Catherine going to get out of this one?

“That's easy to say now, but I'm sure you were furious at the time. Our lovemaking was particularly intense that night, as if you wanted me to know that you and no one else possessed me.” Their lovemaking was always intense, and it was possible that it could have been more tumultuous that evening. If it had been, Catherine had not noticed, but it sounded good and kept her afloat in their game. “I also seriously doubt you encouraged your brother to be fond of me considering that he was quite interested in me and I haven't seen him since. You probably told him to stay away from me.

“If I had a sister, it wouldn't matter what she did because I know you are so obsessed with me that you wouldn’t give her a second glance, even if she was much prettier than me.” She wished Charles would quit bringing up that one mistake she had made. Now she wished she had said she had turned away because she wanted to look out the window. But it was too late for that.

Maybe she should just let him win this time and best him later. Yet her competitive spirit protested. “I can kiss you whenever you want and you will be overjoyed.”

Catherine actually rolled her eyes when Charles tried to turn an important subject into another point in his favor. “I said your future wife would be jealous. I know you will never ask me to marry you because you would never be able to bear my refusal.” If he did ask her, she would jump at the chance, but he didn't need to know that.

“If I concede this round to you, will you be serious please, Charles? Frances is not a child anymore. It wasn't so long ago that I was her age. I know how she feels. Her behavior is going to get worse before it gets better, especially since she fancies herself in love with you. A single gentleman should never raise a teenage girl alone. It could also damage her reputation.”

Although Catherine told herself that she just wanted Frances out of Charles' life, she grudgingly admitted that she was actually concerned about her. She would never want Caroline to be in a similar situation if something happened to her. Perhaps motherhood had changed her more than she had thought.

"I did not tell him to stay away," Charles insisted. In fact, he had openly considered Bradley's idea to wed her. "He is just likely shy."

"Yes, if you concede I will get serious," he promised. Victory was at hand, at least for this round.

On the subject of Frances, he queried "so what would you recommend I do with her. The King appointed me her guardian after all."

"We should also discuss your plan to confront York tomorrow night," he reminded her. "Have you thought it through?"

“He certainly wasn't shy at dinner,” Catherine said, with a look that would tell Charles that she didn't believe him.

“Very well. But know that I am only yielding because you promised to be serious while we're discussing Frances.” After that, she fully planned to resume their competitive banter, and this time, there would be no doubt that she was the winner.

“Frances needs feminine guidance now that she is growing up. Maybe you can find a lady to share her guardianship. A respectable Englishwoman, preferably an older widow who has daughters of her own. Frances could live with this woman, and you could share the responsibilities of raising her. I don't think His Majesty would refuse your request. He will probably approve and will think you wise for realizing that a young lady shouldn't live with a single gentleman.”

She grinned when he mentioned York. “Oh yes, I have it all planned out. The gown and jewelry I have chosen will make me stand out from the crowd. He won't be able to miss me. You and I should arrive together, but separate as soon as we enter the ballroom.

“I'm not going to confront him. I'm going to ignore him like he doesn't exist and flirt and dance with other gentleman, letting him believe that I have completely moved on. He's not the kind of man who likes to be forgotten, and if I flirt with his own gentlemen as well, I think he will realize that it was a mistake to send me away and that he still cares for me. If I see him standing under the mistletoe, I might give him a quick kiss on the cheek and dart away, which will also intrigue him.”

She cocked her head, her eyes searching his. “So what do you think, Charles? Will it work?”

He shook his head as Catherine looked at him with disbelief. "I did not dissuade Bradley," Charles insisted. "I think, truth be told, he felt a bit awkward taking a shining to a lady that is madly in love with me. Even though I threw no obstacles in his path, what was he to do? What if you did not welcome a visit from him? What if you did not take him seriously?" Were men so different from women in wanting to avoid rejection? "He knew that he would visit and tell you how charming you were and then you would tell him that your heart and soul was already given to me and that you could never look at another man." Here he winked for her benefit, signaling that it was more jest than trying to take their game to the next level.

"Frances has her mother living with me too," Charles began, though he realized that Mrs. Smith was hardly capable of chaperoning her daughter. "It would be wrong to split them." It was dawning on him that, just maybe, there was some truth to what she said about a young woman living with an unmarried man. "I might need the permission of the King," he mumbled, though he doubted it was true. "I'll think on it."

As for York, Charles grimaced a bit as he heard her repeat her plan. "I'm not sure that is going to work Catherine," Charles opined. "He has ignored you all season, and more. You ignoring him in return is not likely to re-establish things. It may signal an end to things rather than a hope to the contrary. If it were me, I'd ignore you back ... and I'm not even a prince that will have all sorts of ladies happy to keep him company. On the other hand, you cannot seem desperate either." It was a dilemma to be sure. "I think you try and be witty and make him laugh. That is the sort of thing that will cause him to miss your company. Seeing you dance with other men is unlikely to do it. Yet, if you get others in his company to laugh and have a grand time, he will remember why he admired you in the first place, I should think. You cannot insult him, of course, but you could insult those that are seeking to be his toadies." He kept thinking. "Maybe you introduce him to some boring and simple company so that you stand out even more in their midst. You must take the battle to him."

Catherine let him have the last word in their game, since she was already planning to let him win if he promised to be serious for at least a short while.

“From the way she was acting the other night at dinner, Frances' mother is in no condition to take care of her. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't remember that she has a daughter. Yes, they should remain together, but they can both live with another lady. Perhaps the King will be able to suggest a proper matron who would be happy to share her guardianship. If she's a widow, you will still be in charge of Frances, since you will be the only gentleman involved. She just won't live under your roof anymore.”

The subject of York was more complex. “Has he been ignoring me, or has he been watching me while I've been ignoring him? I've been hoping that he would approach me, but maybe you're right and he's waiting for me to make the first move. Perhaps he is afraid that I will turn him down since I have been acting as if I no longer care for him. He would never risk looking like a fool."

Catherine sighed. “You've given me some good suggestions, but the problem is getting his attention. I can't just walk up to him or he'll refuse to speak to me out of spite. How can I get close enough to him so that I can enchant him all over again?”

"I shall have to think on it," Charles replied as to his wards. "Maybe I just send her to my estate in Cornwall and leave her there for a few years. There is less trouble for her to get into there, and she can be far away from me." Out of sight out of mind.

"Of course he is ignoring you. He has not even inquired about Caroline. He's not written a letter or sent an inquiry through a mutual friend," Charles ventured. "He has other mistresses and, truth be told, perhaps our plan has backfired. Rather than my attention making him jealous, what if he is angry at us both, feeling that we both have betrayed him? He's not spoken to me at all this season, of course I have not sought to be in his company for obvious reasons." He was just thinking out loud and was beginning to realize that he was being too negative. "Or, maybe he is happy for us both, since he has not sent one of his gentlemen to berate me. However, even that nice response does not suggest he is looking to become lovers with you again." He paused again to imagine himself as the Duke.

"He betrayed you, rather than the other way around." He did not want Catherine to feel guilty. "So it would be easier for him to mend, than if you had been the one to reject him."

"I guess that maybe you join whatever group he might be with, not seeking to speak with him directly, but to join the group and start laughing. If you can get him in a good mood, he might take a walk with you somewhere and give you a chance to win him back."

“That sounds like an excellent solution, Charles. You won't have to worry about her darting away to her street friends again. Just make sure you send a strict governess with her so that she doesn't run wild. The country might also be good for her mother's health. Maybe peace and quiet will help her to heal. You can visit them both during recesses.”

Catherine had chosen to believe that York was secretly pining for her and that he would soon sweep her off her feet again. But the facts Charles stated were impossible to ignore. He had not attempted to see his own daughter, nor had he shown any casual interest in her. He had stayed away from Catherine and had not made a single romantic overture. Nor had he told Charles to stay away from her. Had he really given up on her and decided that she wasn't worth his time? If so, trying to win him back by any means would fail.

She was not the type of person to give up without a fight, though. Catherine didn't love York, but she liked the perks of being the Duke's mistress. She was more emotionally connected to Charles, though she wasn't in love with him either. Until she had looked upon Caroline's tiny face for the first time, she had not even known what true love really was. Now that she had experienced the pure unconditional love of a mother for her child, she didn't think she would be able to find anything remotely close with even the most charming of gentlemen.

Yet that didn't mean she couldn't care for a man or enjoy the pleasure of his company in bed and out of it.

Catherine appreciated Charles' concern for her feelings. He was trying to spare her the distressing notion that it was futile to expect York to reconcile with her. “Even if our plan did fail, we can't break up. It will look like I'm desperate and on the rebound. It would be better for him to think that I chose him over you. It will boost his already considerable ego. Maybe we shouldn't separate as soon as we enter the ballroom, but stay together until I can find an opening in his group of sycophants. Do you know any of his gentleman? You could introduce me to one and he could serve as my ticket into York's little circle.”

Catherine supported sending Frances to Cornwall. It held a certain appeal for him as well. She would be punished in a way but he would still be her protector. Maybe, after a few years, she would mature and become grateful. If only the Duke of York could be dealt with so easily.

"I really do not know his gentlemen that well," Charles confessed. "There are the Churchills," he remembered. "I think one one Kingston's kinsmen is one as well." Catherine would remember Arabella Churchill, the York mistress that she replaced. Her brothers John and George were York's men and likely held no love for her. "I think you need no introduction," he suggested. "I think you walk up and join York when he is speaking with more than one person. Think of what makes him laugh. Maybe something about the holidays. You know him well enough to know what he likes." Perhaps there was some hope.

"We should be seen as friendly to each other but look to dance with many others, having a merry time in other company. Then ... that is when you join him." Charles paused to see if see would see sense in such a plan.

Catherine had been hoping that if Charles introduced her to one of York's gentlemen and he led her over to him, the Duke would think she was deliberately choosing his company over her current lover's. However, if he was ignoring her, he wouldn't see Charles with her anyway. She couldn't believe he never looked at her at all; certainly he stole secret glances at her from time to time. He had adored her once. She didn't think he could have forgotten the closeness they had shared.

She wrinkled her nose when he mentioned the Churchills. If they were with York, they would try to stop her efforts to infiltrate their group. She would have to catch him when they were off trying to charm unsuspecting ladies into dancing with them.

“Yes,” she replied, her voice thoughtful. “I could walk up to his group and start talking to someone who is hovering around him. From there, I can ingratiate myself into the conversation and have everyone there laughing at my witty comments. Maybe he will then realize how much he has missed me.” Her wit was what had attracted him to her in the first place.

Catherine sometimes wondered why Charles was so eager to help her reconcile with York. If she became his mistress again, she would have less time to spend with him. She didn't want to consider the notion that he might be trying to get rid of her so he could take up with some other lady … like Mistress Wellsley, perhaps, or that detestable strumpet Fiona MacBain.

“We should arrive at the ball together, though. If we don't, it will look as if we are no longer a couple.”

"That is a good plan," Charles agreed. It meant trying to win back the Duke with her best weapon. Essentially, it was the plan he had given her.

"Yes then, I shan't make it look like we separated. No one would believe that you had separated from me, of course, since everyone sees the adoration in your eyes when you look my way. We will arrive together and then you shall begin your hunt with me far across the chamber from you. Make sure the Duke has had plenty of merry drink, so that he remembers what he lost and his pride is lessened by wine," he advised.

The coach arrived at her house. "I think I should escort you to the door and take my leave. If I give you a good shag tonight you won't be able to stomach the thought of an old man having his way with you tomorrow night. You need to be drunk yourself and desperately aroused," he laughed. "That is your only hope for banishing the unsurpassed passion you have for me." He gave her a wink.

So the game was on again.

“Finally, your obsession for me will give me an advantage. I know that you won't be able to stop throwing longing glances my way. York will notice and it will boost his ego to know that I have chosen him over a gentleman who adores me to distraction.” Catherine chuckled. “And of course you want me to ply him with drink so that he will be too inebriated to do anything more than ogle me. That will give you a chance to spirit me away and console me with your kisses.”

The carriage came to a stop. So he didn't plan on coming in? She hoped he was only jesting. “Oh, but you must give me a thorough shagging tonight so that you will be certain that I am thinking of you while I am with him. If tonight is extra memorable, I might even call out your name instead of his.”

She lifted one of his hands and placed it on her bosom. “You know you want me. Don't deny your most fervent desires. If you do, you will lie awake all night with regret and you will be too tired to enjoy tomorrow's ball.”

The game was indeed back on again and now Charles found himself in a quandry. He felt he had been scoring points readily this evening and now Catherine was making it seem like she might win points if he agreed with her and went in to shag her. Knowing her, she will think us even if I go with her. He also remembered Frances at home alone. Perhaps it would be best to prove that he had not been with women by coming home early. Decisions floated in and out of his head.

"Ha. It is my name you will blurt out if you are with him tomorrow night," he replied in confidence, though finding it odd that he encouraging her to be with another man. That was, in part, to address his own guilt for being with Davina. If she showed interest and was intimate with York, it would carry with it the perverse license for him to fool around as well, not that he needed it necessarily, he supposed.

"Beg me to come in and I shall. Otherwise, I shall go home and leave you unfilled in your unbridled infatuation with me." He smiled to show his words were not to be taken as anything more than gamesmanship.

“Only if you give me reason to be thinking of you while I am with him. Otherwise, it will be his name I scream.” Discussing her reunion with York as if it was a certainty made Catherine believe that it was actually possible for him to rekindle his passion for her. She had not felt very optimistic about her chances lately, particularly as he had not even inquired about their daughter. Maybe the end of the year would be a new beginning for the two of them.

Strangely enough, she was not quite as starved for his attention as she had been in the past. Perhaps her lack of desperation would work to her advantage. If not, maybe it was time to let go. She was happy with Charles. He was handsomer than the Duke, and much wittier. She felt that they were equal partners in their relationship, while York held himself above her. However, Charles couldn't give her the perks and privileges that York could, and she had to think of Caroline. He was more likely to look upon her with favor and find her a good husband if he was fond of her mother.

Catherine, too, realized that if she and Charles continued at trying to best each other that neither one of them would get laid tonight. Her young body was already burning with desire for him. Although her competitive spirit protested, she knew that if she let him win, then she would win as well.

Scooting closer to him, she wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed herself against him. Her lips found his and her kiss was as insistent and demanding as their lovemaking always was. She didn't pull away until she heard the handle on the door click open. “How's that for begging? I don't mind feeding your delusions every now and then.”

Archived