JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Dawn of a New Year (Dec 31 early)- Xmas 1677

Louis Killington

It was bloody cold, especially in the early hours of a winter day. Basildon sat in his coach sipping brandy while his coachman kept open an eagle eye for evidence of the King's morning walk. At this time of year it was difficult to arrange a meeting with the monarch. There were far too many courtiers present for the holidays and far too many well-wishers. Thus, despite his dread of dawn and the cold, Louis had overcome both with an ironclad desire to get time to chat with the King, and perhaps Buckingham, about his meeting with Danby. It was unlikely that the King's spies had sent a report yet of the encounter and, as such, it allowed the earl to paint his own picture.

Even the fur overcoat and leather gloves were not armor enough against the cold, causing the young earl to grumble audibly. The hour was still ungodly and where was the King? he could only hope that the festivities had not cause the King to cancel his morning constitutional.

Before very long a small group was seen walking. It could be the King or drunken revelers attempting to walk home undetected. The driver alerted his master.

It would seem there were two tall persons in the group and a few shorter ones attempting long strides in the frozen crust over the weary grass.

Basildon would have to exit his semi-warmth to know for certain and still maintain his ability to catch up with them.

Movement begat movement. It was just as well to Basildon, who found sitting motionless in the cold not to his liking.

The coach door swung open and the fur-clad lord alighted into the gloom that was morning. Moving upon an intercepting course, trailed by the steam of his breath, the Earl hoped to encounter the King and any entourage compelled to accompany him on the frigid foray.

As Louis moved closer he would notice that it was the King who was walking that morning. The other tall person was not any of the more expected suspects.

It was not Cumberland, nor York, nor Buckingham, the three men of influence with a height to come close to the King. It was not Kingston whose long legs and sailor's hours made him a likely attendant.

The question was whether or not Basildon could recognize Lord Denbigh and Lord Grandison (who had been conspicuously missing all season) from the same distance. There were a handful of others trailing behind. Grandison was in charge of the Yeomen of the Guard, and was ironically also a George Villiers, but just not the one Basildon required. Denbigh held some English and Irish positions and was commonly seen with Ranelagh.

Basildon could likely overhear, "....tried to pass it off...attempt...Catholic..."

The King had seen Basildon's approach and turned his head in that direction.

"Ahh, gentlemen, we are joined by Lord Basildon. This must indeed be an eventful morning of all sorts of doings for so many of you to join us in the cold!"

As Basildon came in front of them he could see that Grandison had some old bruising on his face.

An interesting assortment of lords this morning, or so it seemed to Basildon. He waited until greeted by the King before closing the rest of the distance and joining the entourage.

"Good morning Majesty, gentlemen. I decided to make a pledge for the rest of the year to join you on your morning walks," he laughed. This being the last day of the year, it was an easy enough promise to keep.

As typical, he moved behind the others that were speaking, awaiting his chance to move up. Frankly, he was in no hurry. He preferred to hear what the others were discussing.

Basildon waited his turn, as it were, and the King replied to the two lords previous conversation with a, "Most concerning. It is fortuitous you are strong of constitution Grandison."

The man had to be sixty at least.

"Your Majesty, I find the circumstances strange," Denbigh said. "Grandison said the people are most content to prepare to fight the French, celebrate it, even. Attacks on Catholic lords have slowed. He is not even Catholic."

"Then you think the attack prompted by something else," the King speculated.

"Lord Ibracken does."

A rumble was the brief response. "And why doesn't Lord Ibracken join you?"

Denbigh the spoke again, "With the Duke of Norfolk, looking."

Another hmmm was the response.

"And what is your news, Basildon?"

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone who was anyone knew Grandison. Noting the bruises, Basildon replied "I expect you gve worse than you received."

When the King asked after news, that was the signal to move forward. Though the King trusted the men around him, Basildon felt less so. "Majesty, I thought it might be of interest that the girl's father has left the kingdom, or is leaving it currently. Had I thought you might have preferred it otherwise, I would have prevented it." It was code of sorts, relying on the fact that the King would remember the girl he had introduced two nights previously. There was little desire to say more until he saw the King's reaction to continuing the conversation amongst the present company.

• 2 weeks later...

Grandison gave a grunt of a response. He had given quite a bit.

The King listened to Basildon as he continued his walk, grinning to himself of the cryptic language.

"Danby, you mean," the King said.

This perked the interest of both the other gentlemen. Denbigh had been at the party at Caroline's, so he had seen Louis with Bridget.

The King added, "You can speak freely of it, for Denbigh was also just speaking of it when he said Norfolk is out looking."

He had his own spies, so he was a few steps ahead of the matters afoot in comparison to the various tentacles there present.

"Have you seen him yourself?" Denbigh could not help but ask, with an urgency that seemed a bit personal.

"Since I am urged to speak freely, so shall I," Basildon responded, though unsure if he could trust Denbigh or Grandison. Still, if the King trusted their advice it was best he remained on their good side.

"As you recall Your Majesty Lord Danby and I had unfinished business. I considered calling upon him, using the friendship with his offspring and other methods to locate him." It was helpful to answer an unasked question about Bridget. He made it seem he viewed her as an asset in another way. "And so I did."

"I considered, Majesty, that you have known where he is for some time. If you wanted him in the Tower, he would be there. If you wanted him dead, he would be so. If you wanted him in London, he would have come to see you or vice versa. If you wanted him hence, he was likely defying you. The answer was obvious to me, so I acted upon my own initiative, assuming you would encourage your counselors to do so without involving you. The man has been a pebble in your shoe and an embarrassment moving here and there while your enemies seek to force your hand against him."

There was a pause to pull his coat tighter in the damnable cold. In truth he wanted to give the King a chance to deny any of his suppositions, though Louis was convinced of his own brilliance in the matter. On the remote chance that the King was not pleased, he would need to adapt the rest of his story accordingly. Rather, he awaited the royal invitation to continue his story.

• 2 weeks later...

Whether the King, or really any of the other gentlemen, believed that Basildon had no other motive over Bridget was not easily ascertained. None showed any particular reaction on their face. One, all, or none might have inwardly chuckled over the idea that bringing Danby's daughter to a libertine party was a selfless ploy.

The King did crack a small smile as Basildon went on about his elaborate plannings.

"Rest assured, my lord, nobody wished him to remain," the King said, if only to make the lengthy speeches less likely. "In this instance, I do not think Buckingham nudged you wrongly."

In that one statement, the King conveyed much.

"And what else has happened? Simply speak plainly, words in such cold are at a premium." The cold did pull the mouth dry, but he was more concerned of his ears ringing of all the excess explanation. Had courtiers not learned that after decades of kingship, he had learned that even the most culpable could flower their misdeeds to smell like roses; the reverse was, regrettably, also true. Good deeds, in turn, could easily be made to smell like shit.

With the King's confirmation that he wished Danby to depart England, the Earl could breathe more easily. Interestingly, it seemed that the King was aware of Buckingham's role in all this.

"Your Majesty," Basildon protested insincerely, "a cold morning is in need of hot air moreso than another day." It was the reference to word economy that had drawn his jovial retort. "I would have rather described each stroke and counter-stroke, but that shall have to await some playwright I suppose." It was a feigned regret, though he speculated that he would be quizzed at greater length, and at multiple times.

"The short of it is that he has left for Amsterdam. He is to join Princess Mary there and be under the watchful eye of my wife. As further incentive, I purchased one of his minor offices and wrote a note to present to my wife for payment. You will have multiple ways to know his every move there." The King would have his own spies and Orange and Mary would be witness as well.

No reason to dwell more on his negotiations. "One curious addition, if I may. It seems that Danby kidnapped the Hill brothers, entrapping them with news that their father was dead. I liberated both, much to his lordship's chagrin, and now Masters Trevor and Arthur are guests at my house in London. I have plans to reunite them with their family, though I would look for counsel from Your Majesty ... ."

• 2 weeks later...

Just as Buckingham knew His Majesty more closely than anyone, Charles also knew George better than anyone. There was also the fact that some problems could not be entrusted to just anyone. Too many people wanted too many things, but in many ways he knew George would mostly satisfy with being able to say 'I told you so' as payment (and the satisfaction of the revenge itself).

Surely Basildon did not think that Buckingham would share Danby's whereabouts with just Basildon and not his royal master. Or had Basildon not believed Buckingham when he said, in a roundabout way perhaps, that it was His Majesty's wish? No matter, the King did know, and likely more than Basildon thought.

"He shan't find any public reception there. Monmouth is forbidden any contact, and since he is there at court indefinitely with his cousins..." It went to say that Danby would have to be content with the shadows. Charles was under no delusions that his former minister would avoid trading in secrets and other such valuable things to survive, and his nephew could no sooner deny such information even if it was about his dear uncle and ally.

"I count that as him finding a pleasant surprise if he was expecting a reception," Denbigh said with a venomous sort of tone that did not match his fair looks.

"It is hopeful you sent another letter to your wife not to pay him or it shall become the price of his departure, which we are sure you are happy to pay after your piece in this affair, my lord."

It was one of those obligations of nobility that the King could bank on here and there. No lord of Basildon's degree would disagree, in front of others, to sacrifice a few thousands for his king. If the young earl wished to play this game, he was learning stakes increased as one went along, but surely he was expecting that.

However, it was Basildon's last admission that gained the most effect. Denbigh's eyes just about popped out of his head. The King, who was usually very good at concealing things on his face, bore a small smirk, as if he had been expecting the entire thing.

Indeed, if one knew what Charles knew, it was fittingly ironic that he was with the other two earls when Basildon came upon them.

Letting out a light chuckle, the King said to Denbigh, "Well, my lord, speak up. That should be a relief to many of the matters we have spoken of this morning."

Denbigh had a difficult time wrapping his head around this sudden turn. When Basildon has said Danby had left, he had been afraid the kidnapped boys were now further out of reach.

"You have them? They are well?" the earl sputtered.

"I have yet to write my lady wife Your Majesty," Basildon admitted. "I came here seeking counsel first, the event happening only hours ago.

The Earl was familiar enough that the King levied fines at his pleasure. A man in a favored position had no recourse but to concede happily. There was an option to deny Danby the money but that would be a breach of a written agreement. "Unlikely that I can avoid payment, since I signed a paper giving him 500 pounds for one of his Lord Lieutenancies. I am only too happy to remit the same sum to the Crown for any inconvenience I may have caused Your Majesty." He would need to see the sum delivered to Baptist May.

It was Denbigh that warranted attention when he showed such surprise. Louis cursed himself that he could not recall in that moment what relation the Earl was to the boys. "Why yes. They are safely in my care, and in good spirits after their deliverance. I could not leave the lads with a fugitive, especially when Master Trevor asked for my protection." Turning to face the King, Basildon wished royal instructions as to the boys' disposition. "Your Majesty, I would seek your counsel here as well. My cousin and I are pleased to host them for the rest of the season, or longer, or to see that they are united with whomever you suggest."

"And which Lord Lieutenancy might that be?" the king asked.

Being king meant having to deal with the nuances of every office and who would be politically advantageous to humor. It was a tiresome bargain, but even a king needed coin.

Courtiers would profit at the downfall, so it was only fitting that the king would profit too. For the inconvenience of watching the carnage and dealing with change. This time, though, there was little to feel discountenanced about in being rid of the earl. Few understood the lengths of the plottings that were now coming to light.

Those were the king's thoughts as matters to the Hill brothers.

"It is almost a shock, my lord, that you have found them and Danby. Forgive me," Denbigh said, trying to wrap his mind around it all whilst not betraying too much. He had no idea what Basildon knew of any of the Irish affairs. "Many have been looking." Denbigh was not related to the Hill boys, but he was one of Ibracken's closest friends

Apparently none with intelligence as good as Buckingham's (or the king's).

"As for the counsel you seek," the King said, freeing Denbigh from having to say anything intelligent. "Let them stay with you for tonight. Bring them to us in the late morning before that sledding business. Denbigh will spread the news to Ibracken and Norfolk that the boys have been found. Their grandfather is where you have sent Danby." For a moment, the king wondered if Sir John Trevor was the killing sort, or if one could be the killing sort with that bad of a lazy eye. "Beyond that, Norfolk and Ibracken have an equal claim to their care, so we shall see where the boys wish to go and what they have to say."

Basildon had purposefully withheld the name of the office. To mention it by name ran the risk that the King would want it for another and the Earl was in no position to deny the King anything. "Something in the north," he began, in hopes of underplaying it. "North Ridings of Yorkshire," he added, not knowing that it had once been Buckingham's target. Between the King and the Duke, Louis had obstacles to avoid.

As for the boys, Basildon was indeed ignorant of Irish affairs. In fact, he took pride in ignoring the Irish, Scots and Welsh as much as possible. Few of them were fit company anyway.

In response to Denbigh's astonishment, Louis smiled and declared "I had good intelligence." That was true enough. He was certain the King would know that he had relied on the efforts of others, especially Buckingham. Basildon was not known for his spy network, though he had initiated one with the servants in the palace in the prior year.

The King wanted to see the boys on the morrow, and Louis gave a bow of his head. "Of course." Ibracken was one thing, but a close relationship with the Duke of Norfolk was quite a surprise. Maybe the Irish family was worth getting to know after all. He had much to include in the next letter to his wife. "They both have equal claim?" he asked ignorantly. Silently he wondered why they would not be reunited with their grandfather. "Sounds like a good basis for a wager." It was always good to not be overly serious. It was likely that the Duke would try and match the boys with his bastard daughters of the same age if rumors were to be believed that Norfolk was aggressively shopping them.

• 3 weeks later...

The king showed little on his face as Basildon said North Ridings.

Buckingham, he knew, would expect the West back. Basildon was squeaking his own advancements out of something which should have been recompense for his (unintentional) piece in the matter. Such was the way of things.

Instead of commenting further on it, considering he would get his coin for the whole thing, he turned his attention to the boys and their relationships.

"Indeed, at least until their grandfather is recalled or their father is found. The Duke of Norfolk is their godfather and has seen to many of their stays in London and schooling. Lord Ibracken shall be Trevor's father-in-law; he is betrothed to our baby cousin."

Or perhaps Basildon did not know that Lord Ibracken's wife was the king's cousin Cat, one of his most favourite relatives.

"So, my lord, who shall you choose? You are given first pick for the wager," the king offered with a generous laugh. "100 pounds sufficient terms?"

(I thought I posted this awhile ago...it's been sitting in my drafts sorry!)

There was no reply to the disclosure of the office. Louis exhaled. Perhaps the King would not wish to reassign it beyond him, or so he imagined.

The King, ever a sporting gentleman, seized upon the idea of the wager, as Louis hoped he might. It was hard to get in much trouble, or so Basildon hoped, if the King was in playful spirits.

"Ibracken is Irish, just like the lads," Louis began, looking for clues in the King's face. "He's marrying well." That last bit was an understatement. "The boys would feel at home with him surely." Yet, the Earl did not commit.

"Yet, the boys came to Oxford to study, not Ireland. Their father appointed Norfolk as godfather," he continued. "A solemn position. I know not where Ibracken is, but Norfolk is here is London and so are the boys. A Duke's claim is hard to avoid ... without royal wishes in other directions." He kept looking for signs of the King's wishes.

"I'll take Norfolk for 100. He's seen to them when they are in London. They are in London. You say he has seen to their schooling. It is to there that they must return. Ibracken is not yet their father-in-law." At this point, 100 pounds was meaningless. This was more about the laughs Louis might get later with tale of his wager against the King when the King might decide the affair in his own favor. It was worth being proven the fool, or to have received royal favor in winning. This was one of those moments that one could tell one's grandchildren.

"Who might you bet on Your Majesty?" Basildon asked coyly.

• 2 weeks later...

"Very shrewd reasoning," the King complimented, not betraying his own thoughts as Basildon puzzled it out.

The fun was rarely in who won, for as king, he won oft enough. Gaming and wagers were entertainment on their own value. Taking in a breath of chilly air, he felt the little jolt of anticipation. Something to look forward to.

"Although, my lord, the Hills are English," he added, shaking a finger at Basildon. "So to speak." They simply had estates and land in Ireland. Their origins were not of that island.

"Ibracken suits then." The king nodded is own choice. "The boys shall choose. Far more sporting. Both lords have been cooperating in searching for them, so whatever outcome shall be agreeable as it is only temporary." After all, a little kidnapping was no reason for a boy to shirk his studies...

• 2 weeks later...

"Ah," he murmured as it was revealed that the Hills were of less Irish blood than he had imagined. "The game is on then," Basildon exclaimed when the King took Ibracken. There was a pause to see if others in the retinue wanted to interject their own wager. There were two boys, causing the Earl to winder if the brother's would be unanimous in their preference. So much more entertaining if they were not.

"I shall bring them as you wish late morning. Undoubtedly they will be in good spirits for the freedom that the new year brings. They will enjoy the sledding as well, thinking it the only sport of the day." The others present would know otherwise. "Are you to join in the race tomorrow Majesty?" Louis inquired. There was a purpose behind his innocent-sounding question.

"Sledding and an audience with the King sound like quite a day for a boy," Charles replied, chuckling warmly. "Far preferable to dank inns, especially as it was not for revelry or shirking their childhoods." Further chuckles rolled forth.

Boyhood was such a fleeting gift. It made him wonder if Worcester's boys had blown anything else up lately.

Grandison had fallen back some to speak with another of those accompanying the king, so no other wagers came about.

As to the sledding, the king replied, "A royal appearance shall likely be made, though not by the Queen." A chill from being outside would not do at all.

"Indeed," Basildon agreed. "A day that they will remember for a lifetime. In their dotage they will enhance their stories to their grandchildren of Danby's treachery, the horrors of their captivity, my daring rescue, and once they were saved your majestic magnificence. They will tell it that no King was kinder or more regal. They would be correct of course. A pity that we shall not be there to hear it," he offered in light humor.

As for the sledding, "I was thinking that the right thing to do for the pairing of the teams would be to allow the Lady of Misrule to do the pairing, so that there might be pairings that might also give rise to entertaining stories in the years to come. Surely you see the sport of that?" Royal agreement would go a long way in insuring the outcome. Although he had yet to coordinate with Nicci, he was certain that she would end up with the King. Surely he knew that as well. His agreement would be a necessary encouragement. The Lady of Misrule was a sort of royalty for the season, so it was only far ... at least to Basildon's thinking.

"Well, we shall have to make certain it will be a tale to equal the tale of my escape," the King said, with a jovial grin.

"They will tell tales that all will doubt the possible truth in the future."

It was now something of an amusing mission.

"Ah, yes, but we mere mortals shall leave such things up to the lady to pursue. I am certain she needs not our help in her frivolities."

"Perhaps I shall pay to have it reduced to canvas," he offered in jest but was coming to like the image. There had been talk with George Hardwick of immortalizing Basildon in Parliament, so why not this as well? The thought warmed him.

"What scene would be best I wonder?" he mused aloud. "A scene in a tavern room would be too common I think. If it were the descending the stairs in the tavern, the artist could have the room filled with dark and unsavory characters playing with weapons only half-hidden. But, no painting would do justice unless we had you somewhere in it. Perhaps it could be allegoric. I could be leading the brothers through a dark woods. On one end would be the lone figure of a dark cloaked Minister, in search of the boys, with a lantern that barely illuminated his surroundings, but hinted at the demons waiting in the shadows. On the other end of the trail would be the royal coach surrounded by men in your colors, along with either Norfolk to Ibracken. Of course you would be crowned with a nimbus of light, in part responsible by a bevy of lanterns from stout gentlemen around you, and partly due to divine assistance perhaps? What do you think? Perhaps something more grand? You could be beneath a mighty oak, the symbol of escape from tyrants. I see it clearly now." The Earl was half serious. It would be quite expensive to commission surely; but, if the King was keen on the idea, perhaps it could be done.

The King laughed heartily at the idea, imagining some cherub-faced boys and the scene that could come from it.

"You amuse me, Basildon," he complimented, with a nod.

For his part, His Majesty was curious if Basildon would contemplate commissioning such a thing or if it was just talk.

"A happy resolution to such a scenario. It will almost be a pleasure to see these boys tomorrow."

(Shall we fade out and get started on the next thread? It's started already and awaiting you )