JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Banquets, Books, and Bedlam | 28/12, late afternoon- Xmas 1677

Sophia de la Cerda

The Spanish Embassy

Located 5 doors up from the Dutch Embassy, the Spanish Embassy is also unassuming. Its gates are high and the guard out front dressed in the uniform of the Spanish Army. A large flag hung next to the main door, displaying the Spanish colors.

When she returned home from the palace after her meeting with Lord Kingston, Sophia realized that she would not have enough time to get to the Chelsea Veteran's Hospital by two. After replying to Lord Maldon's letter, she sent a note to Governor Trenchton telling him that she would stop by to sing for the residents tomorrow afternoon instead. She was supposed to meet Lord Arundel then, but she had not yet figured out how to elude Karl. She had come up with an idea that involved her trip to Chelsea, but she would need to think on it a bit more.

Some of the servants had gathered some holly and festive greenery that morning, and she sent them to the Embassy with the foliage and the banners in Spain's colors that Anna had made to be used as decorations. The young Baroness then went to the Strand and bought a pair of ice-skates, which as her handsome skating instructor had warned her, came in black, black, and black. She also made a few other small purchases, including some ribbons the color of mistletoe to lace her skates with, as the entrancing Earl had suggested.

Shopping done, she instructed the carriage driver to take her to the Embassy. Carrying the book that Lord Chatham had sent for Esteban, she stepped inside and sent a servant to tell her husband to meet her in the ballroom, where the banquet would be held. Although she had never been there before, she just followed the hammering noises. The stage for the entertainment was being constructed at one end of the room and the servants were busy putting up the decorations.

While she waited for her husband, she gazed around the room, contemplating various arrangements for the placement of the tables that would hold the food and seat her guests. Sophia had hoped that there would be room for dancing, but the ballroom was not quite as large as she had hoped.

Karl had been with Sophia every step of the way, riding with the coachman. She was never really alone, except inside the coach, where he respected her privacy.

Dinner time was approaching and the ambassador emerged from his office, issuing final instructions to his secretary in Spanish. Seeing Sophia he moved to join her. "Sophia," he greeted in his usual familiar voice, yet with an edge of formality. "What have you been about this day?" It was not accusatory, but he had taken to wanting a report of her activities whenever she left the residence. She was certain that he asked the same of Karl, if not others.

When she heard the door to Esteban's office open, Sophia turned toward it, watching as she stepped out with his secretary. She was too far away and her Spanish was not fluent enough for her to understand what he said, but it was probably something political that would not make sense to her even if he had spoken in German or Italian.

She smiled genuinely as he approached her. At the Embassy, she expected him to be formal to her in front of his staff. If they had been madly in love, she doubted he would have acted differently. Even her beloved Juan was reserved in public.

“I was hoping to catch you before you left.” They would not see each other at dinner tonight because she had invited guests over for a ladies-only evening, and she had much she wished to discuss with him, some of it which couldn't wait until tomorrow night.

Of course he would ask her where she had been, even though she knew that Karl always told him about everything she did. She felt that the bodyguard was more of a spy than a protector. “This morning I went shopping with Mademoiselle Vauquelin and then I met Lord Kingston in the King's Presence Chamber. I returned to the house to write a few letters and then went shopping again before stopping here to supervise the decorations for our banquet.”

Her smile brightened. “I told Mademoiselle Vauquelin about your idea for a language game and she really liked it. She said she was going to implement it and that Spanish would be one of the languages used.”

Nodding as she recounted her day, Esteban seemed satisfied. "Do not forget that the French girl is likely a spy. Diego tells me that she kept company with Orleans and those closest to King Louis. Continue to cultivate her but take care in what you say." As for the language game, he nodded approvingly.

"How go your preparations for the ladies dinner and our banquet?" He had largely removed himself from any planning. That was the province of wives.

Sophia didn't think that Nicolette was a spy but she nodded when her husband instructed her to be careful about what she said. She was thankful that he did not forbid her to see the Frenchwoman but wanted her to cultivate a friendship with her instead. Did he hope that Nicolette would spill French secrets if she grew to trust her? Sophia didn't think she possessed any knowledge that Esteban would find useful.

“Everything is falling into place.” She waved one slender hand in the direction of the stage. “As you can see, the stage for our entertainment is being constructed and the decorating has begun. I have also finalized the menu. Before you joined me, I was contemplating where the tables should be set up.

"This evening's dinner is already being prepared. Thank you for allowing me to entertain tonight. Lady Gowran is interested in viewing the paintings I bought in Amsterdam. I am going to show her the ones I bought in Madrid as well. I have already had a few of them hung temporarily on the dining room walls. If you like where I've placed them, we can keep them there.”

Her eyes met his. “Tomorrow I am going to have lunch with Lord Maldon. He is teaching me about gardening and I am helping him with his German. I am also going to teach him to sing. I think it might help his stutter. He asked me what you thought of the book he left for you and if Maria liked her pipes.”

He was not interested in the details about the ladies dinner. "Gowran is a good Catholic," Esteban noted with satisfaction.

"The hangings look fine," he noted with approval as he looked around. As long as the hangings were not garish, he was satisfied with his wife's taste.

"Maldon." She seemed rather friendly with that new earl. "Si, the book is a good one. It is written by the English philosopher Thomas Hobbes. It is a historical analysis of the English Civil War. It helps one understand this land's hatred for Catholics and absolute rulers. Tell him that the book is most welcome. As for the pipes, I think Maria is pleased to be able to make pleasing sounds from her mouth rather than the uncomely gurgles that she manages. Tell him that she is pleased and thank him for us. Be sure that Karl and Anna accompany you," he reminded.

At least he approved of her choice of guest.

Sophia was also pleased that he liked the decorations with which the servants were adorning the Embassy. “After the banquet, perhaps we can move some of the paintings of Madrid over here. And some of the sculptures as well.” The young Ambassador's wife had a penchant for collecting art, usually from up-and-coming artists who had yet to make a name for themselves. There was not enough room in their house for it all, so some of it could be displayed here.

So far, everything was going well. He did not forbid her to see Lord Maldon and he seemed to enjoy the book that the Earl had given him. She had not looked at it herself, but his explanation sounded interesting. “I should like to read it after you are finished with it. Then perhaps we can discuss it together. I wish to learn more about politics.” Sophia didn't mention that John was teaching her about that subject as well. When she had learned enough, she planned to surprise her husband with her knowledge. Maybe then he would finally be happy with her.

“I will tell him, and of course I will take Karl and Anna with me.” She was not going to disobey him, even if it meant that she could not meet with Lord Arundel the following day. Sophia was beginning to reconsider the wisdom of that assignation, but every time she thought about that lovely afternoon they had shared, she wished to see him again. She didn't want to cheat on Juan but she had needs that were not being filled. Sometimes she wondered if her royal lover was being faithful to her.

“Lord Maldon would like to meet with you. I don't know know what he wishes to discuss, but he did tell me that his family supports the war. Should I tell him to send you a letter?”

"Si, you may read it afterward," the Baron replied. He wondered how she might react to such a serious topic and with a book not written in her native tongue. "Do you know that it is said that the book is prohibited to be sold in England?" he added quietly. "It should be no problem that we have it I should think since we are not English."

As to meeting Lord Maldon, Esteban was agreeable. "Of course. Is he coming to our party? It would be good to meet him then."

Sophia smiled gratefully when he agreed to let her read the book after he was finished with it. She actually read English better than she spoke it and enjoyed learning about the history of her adopted country as well as reading exciting tales of fiction. Whenever she learned a new language, she increased her knowledge of the language and country through her reading. Soon she would be ready for Spanish books and would ask Esteban to recommend some to her .

“It is?” she asked, her eyes wide. Now she was even more interested in it. What insights lay between its covers that had been deemed unfit for the English people? She could hardly wait to find out.

“Yes, he will be at our banquet. If he also attends Lady Kendishall's party tomorrow, you will have two opportunities to speak to him.” She smiled mischievously. “Remember the snowball fight I told you about? Lord Maldon wants to make some snowmen to guard his snow castle. "They will look more convincing with clothes on. Would you happen to have an old coat and hat that I can borrow?"

It was when she mention Caroline that her husband became more animated. "Sophia, I have inquired as to Lady Kendishall and have learned to my dismay that she is of the libertine bent. I do not believe that we should attend her party Wednesday night. It will cause proper courtiers to wonder about our own proclivities. We have our own party that should remain your focus."

As for the snow fight, Esteban looked perplexed. "How old is this earl? Is he 12 years old?" He knew otherwise but was making a point. "I am sure that my man can find a threadbare coat for you to lend this earl." It made the time his wife spent with the man seem al the more innocent.

Sophia was dismayed that he didn't want to go to Lady Kendishall's party. She was looking forward to seeing several of her friends there. “I do not think it will be a libertine affair. Lord Maldon is very proper and he will be attending. So will Mistress Wellsley, one of the Queen's ladies.” She wasn't completely sure if Davina would be there, but she had not seemed against it when Caroline had invited her.

“Some of the most powerful gentleman at court are libertines. You could make some new contacts there and your attendance will show that you are accepting of all kinds of people. If it starts getting wild, we can leave, which will make the impression you want everyone to have of you.

“Also, I already replied to her invitation and told her we would be there. I do not wish to go back on my word." Sophia knew how important his honor was to him. Hopefully, hers was important to him as well.

His reaction to Lord Maldon's snow party confirmed her theory that he thought of her as a child, though he was speaking about her friend this time. “It is all in fun. Some of the participants will probably be much older than either he or I. You could always come with me.”

Her eyes lit up when he agreed that she could have one of his old coats. They would have their Lord Snowledo. “Thank you, dear husband!” she exclaimed, barely resisting the urge to throw her arms around him. Sophia didn't think he would appreciate displays of affection at the Embassy. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

“Lord Chatham wants to meet with you too.” She crossed over to the table where she had put the book the Earl had given her … a biography of Gonzalo de Córdoba … and handed it to him. “I told him that you enjoyed reading and he sent me this book and asked me to give it to you.”

"One of the Queen's ladies will be there?" That surprised him. "Many of the powerful English lords are indeed libertine," Esteban admitted "but they are happy to do business with proper people. The problem is that proper people do not like to do business with libertine people. If there is ... how the English say ... guilt by association, then it risks our contacts within the proper circle. Do you see?" It was all perfectly logical to him. He was used to instructing his young wife in the way of the world.

"The important thing is that we are seen as proper. We can be friendly with libertines but we cannot afford to be seen as one of them. We shall need to make our excuses. We have our own party to prepare."

He was surprised at the outburst of happiness over the granting of an old coat. It made him almost suspicious that there was something more at work. Perhaps it was just that his wife was a silly creature.

As for Lord Chatham, he took the book and examined it. "A fine book. I should like to meet him. How do you know him?" It seemed an innocent enough question though there was always a bit of suspicion as to the male admirers that his wife drew.

Sophia shrugged. “I was there when Lady Kendishall asked her. Mistress Wellsley is my friend too.” The petite blonde respected her husband for his political knowledge and his diplomatic skills, but she felt that she, as young as she was, knew more about how to navigate through court society.

“I think that if you were to attend this party, the libertines would be more likely to work with you toward achieving your goals. Show them that you can walk in both worlds, and I think more opportunities will come your way. You will not be seen as a libertine, but as a gentleman with an open mind.

“The preparations for our banquet are almost finished. Some courtiers will attend both parties whether they are proper or libertine.”

She sighed, and the expression in her eyes was imploring. “I have been looking forward to my friend's party since the season started. Please, my husband, let us at least go for a little while. We can have refreshments, I can greet my friends, and then we can leave if you still wish to do so. Do this one thing for me. I promise that you will not regret it.”

As for Lord Chatham: “We met at the ball, remember? I asked him to dance and you agreed that I could show him around the gardens yesterday morning. We had a pleasant stroll, but he seemed more interested in you than he was in me.”

The lies tripped easily from her tongue. She had planned out what she would say about the handsome and desirable Earl in advance. “He does not strike me as a libertine, but he may be at the party tonight as well. Your attention will not be in as much demand as it will at our banquet. You could speak to both him and Lord Maldon there.”

As Sophia asked prettily, Esteban considered a request for a reversal. He considered that he might attend with her and leave at the first opening; but, what if his presence was misconstrued in London as well as Madrid? Even his master would likely question taking his lover to the parties of known libertines.

"No, I think we send our regrets," he stated at last. "It is not polite to disappear so quickly. As for the libertines, I doubt they are attending with a goal of discussing business. No, I know she is your friend but it is best to keep that relationship as nonpublic as you can," he advised. Left unsaid was that he thought her reputation was already in jeopardy after that sinful display in the opera.

"Let us spend the evening together instead, finalizing plans for our banquets." In a more quiet voice he added "we could go abed after that if you wish." By that he meant that they could have sex, which was a rare thing. It was meant as a reward for taking her mind off libertine things and he thought it overdue to service her. He could only hope that Don Juan would arrive soon and take care of her more completely in that regard.

As for Chatham, "oh si si. I remember him. The one with the patch. I shall speak to both at the banquet. He handled the book and opened it to look inside.

For a moment, Sophia thought that she had gotten through to him, but he was still adamant that they not attend the party. “I do not think that they will discuss business there, but they may want to make an appointment to speak with you at a later time. Opportunity sometimes comes from unexpected places.”

Ordinarily, she would pleased to spend an evening with him, but she was set on socializing and wasn't interested in staying at home. It was a credit to her acting skills that she didn't roll her eyes when he suggested that they sleep together.

Having sex with him was better than no sex at all, but it was no substitute for attending the party of a friend. If he were Juan, she would accept gladly. Making love to him would be worth missing any party, even her own. Her husband couldn't begin to compare to her royal lover in the bedchamber.

But perhaps Juan was the exception rather than the rule. Maybe most gentlemen were mediocre in bed, although Sophia suspected that Lord Chatham and Lord Arundel would be fantastic lovers. It would serve Esteban right if she cheated on him, but it would not be fair to Juan unless he was unfaithful to her. She was torn between wishing to know another man's touch and wanting to remain true to her Prince.

She said nothing to his offer. Let him think that he had won for now. Sophia didn't want to infuriate him when she still had a few matters to discuss with him, but she was not going to let the subject go. She just needed time to come up with a way to convince him. “I hope they will both be there,” she said of Lord Maldon and Lord Chatham.

As he opened the book, she broached another subject. “Remember when we went to Lord Chichester's art studio last spring and how I was so eager to try everything? You know how much I love to paint but I have had little luck finding an instructor. I once asked Lord Chichester to give me a few lessons. He said he would, but quickly changed his mind when I told him I would need permission from my guardians. I think he considered it inappropriate to tutor an unmarried maiden. Now, however, I am married to his friend. Will you ask him if he will teach me? I know I could learn many things about art from him.”

Perhaps her husband had no wish to be compared to Sophia's royal lover. Perhaps he was mediocre by design. Might that not be more in keeping with not intruding upon the royal prerogative?

It seemed that the subject of Lady Kendishall's party was settled. They would not be attending.

She brought up the topic of learning painting from George Hardwick. Esteban was friendly with the Earl and trusted him, so he gave his consent. "Yes, you may study with him. You should bring Karl and Maria too. I should think that Maria might like to watch the painting." Maria had been looking bored lately and he was certain it would cheer her.

Sophia craved affection. She had grown up with a loving father and stepmother and she had been adored when she had sung opera in Venice. Esteban's aloofness baffled her. She wasn't even certain that he found her attractive, which was confusing to a young lady who had been told she was beautiful since she was a very small child. Did he not like her at all? She feared that he had only married her because Juan had suggested it and now he was sorry that he had not refused his master's request. It seemed that all she ever did was disappoint him.

Yesterday he had been in a pleasant mood after their audience with the Queen, and today, he was more amiable than he usually was. Maybe he was finally realizing that she could be of value to him, despite her youth and her penchant for mischief. She was afraid that if she pushed him too far, he would withdraw emotionally again, but she hadn't given up on changing his mind about the party.

She nearly bounced with enthusiasm when he agreed that Lord Chichester could give her painting lessons. “I would love to bring Maria with me. Maybe instead of watching, she would like to learn now to paint too.” Her sister-in-law couldn't express herself in words but perhaps she could convey her emotions through art.

“Will you ask Lord Chichester if he will instruct me when you meet with him? I believe he would be more likely to agree if the request came from you.”

Sophia glanced toward the partially-constructed stage. “I received a letter this morning from a lady named Mary Betterton asking me to dinner. Anna told me that she and her husband are well-known and respected actors. They probably heard about the opera. Would it be appropriate to accept her invitation? If they are influential, they could possibly help change England's perception of the Spanish through plays that shows your people in a favorable light.”

"Si, I shall ask him when I see him," Esteban agreed. He also liked the idea of Maria trying her hand at painting. Things were more agreeable between them and it pleased him too.

Suspicion returned when Sophia mentioned a letter. "Oh? Why would an actress send you a letter? Let me see it," he requested. Don Juan's mother was an actress. They were always known to be libertines. Toledo had no desire for his wife to be educated in any fashion by an actress. A noble painter was a different matter.

“Gracias, querido esposo.”* Sophia hoped that Lord Chichester would not refuse to give her painting lessons because of what Lucas had revealed about him in the gazebo. She would take that secret with her to her grave, for she had promised the composer she would never speak of it and she took her promises seriously.

Most of the time.

She just happened to have the letter with her to remind her of the actress' name. The young blonde had never heard it before this morning, although her maidservant seemed quite familiar with the woman, or at least her good reputation.

Sophia pulled it from the pocket in her petticoats and handed it to her husband. “The impact of a play can be quite powerful. It is possible that if I do not accept that she and her husband will think I believe I am too good for them and Spain will be ridiculed in a future production. If I do meet with them, I could suggest ideas to subtly sway opinions in your favor.”

Although she had offered to take him with her, she was afraid that he was too reserved to make a positive impression on flamboyant actors. Sophia, however, would fit right in, due to her association with the opera culture in Venice and her natural theatrical flair.

“I do not have to go to dinner. I could always meet her somewhere else.”

*Thank you, dear husband.

OOC: The letter is here.

Her husband's eyes darkened as he read the letter. Using the term fever in connection with his wife's ill-advised foray into an opera put Esteban's teeth on edge.

"Write her and tell her to call upon me at the embassy. That I should like to discuss something with her prior to any acceptance of a dinner invitation." He doubted the actress would come; but, if she did, Mary would not like what the man wished to say.

Sophia watched his face carefully as he read the letter. His gaze seemed ominous and his words were even more so. She believed that if the actress met with him, he would tell her not to contact his wife again and then there would be plays showing Spaniards as idiots and buffoons all over London.

Even though she had told him that the theatre could be influential in both positive and negative ways, he seemed to dismiss her experience in such matters as inconsequential. She considered telling Esteban that she would deliver his message in person, but he would probably forbid it. Maybe she would meet with Mary anyway. Her husband would change his tune quickly if Spain was represented superbly on the stage, and he would thank her for going against his wishes.

Or perhaps she would not answer the letter at all. She needed a bit of time to consider whether the advantages outweighed the repercussions. “It shall be done,” Sophia lied. She felt that she was doing him a favor by not obeying him this time.

It was time for a change of subject. “I bought some skates today. I think that learning to skate might help me overcome my fear of water so I will not be so frightened when we go back to Madrid. I got the idea from Lord Arundel. We spoke a bit after the dance and he offered to teach me. I do not know if he was serious or not, but if he was, may I skate with him if we can find a frozen pond and I promise to take Karl with me?”

Certainly he would not object to her associating with a known Catholic. At least she hoped he wouldn't.

Unaware yet when his wife was lying or not, Esteban accepted her deference with an amiable smile. She would be better off without corrupting influences. She was too young to know that it was not in the power of actors to help Spain. If anything, it was in the hands of the playwrights. It had been for this reason that he had sought out the advice of Charles Sedley, though Sophia knew none of it. Actresses were libertine influences that sought only to make merry without consequences. Sadly, they acknowledged not that merriment itself created consequences.

"I am certain that Lord Arundel would seek to teach you many things," her husband replied to her broaching the idea of skating. Unlike George Hardwick, Esteban seemed to have reason to think differently about Henry Howard. At least she knew to include Karl in her plans. "Maria will accompany you as well. Like with painting, she shall enjoy learning skating," He seemed certain in his response. "Was there anything else you wish to learn?" Did he suspect something?

In Venice, Sophia had heard many tales of opera singers convincing composers to create certain roles … or even entire operas … based on their ideas. She thought it likely that actors could influence playwrights as well, particularly if they were as respected as Mary Betterton and her husband seemed to be. Maybe she would be able to inspire them with her tales of Madrid, both real and imagined.

Yet it didn't seem she was going to get that opportunity without disobeying her husband, which she was less inclined to do when he was in a cheerful mood. He was rarely this pleasant to her, and she dared to hope that he had forgiven her for her flamboyant performance in the opera because she had given him the chance to speak to the Queen. The donation she had suggested had most likely made Spain seem compassionate in Her Majesty's eyes.

Whatever his reasons, she was enjoying his affability. Idly, she wondered if she did take him up on his offer of sex, he would be more affectionate toward her now. There would be no reason to contemplate straying if he could satisfy her in bed.

As it was now, she remembered Lord Arundel's passionate kisses and tantalizing caresses and wanted to feel his lips and hands on her again. Now that she had Esteban's permission to learn how to skate from the intriguing Earl, it might be easier to meet with him. She could always pick a time when Maria wasn't able to accompany her. Her sister-in-law was very observant. Sophia didn't think she would be able to get away with much in her presence.

“I will bring her along with me, and perhaps on other excursions as well. I thinks she stays in the house too much. She probably gets bored. Maybe she would like to go to the palace with me sometimes. She might enjoy the library if they have books in Spanish or French.”

Sophia smiled shyly when he asked her if she wanted to learn anything else. If he suspected her of anything, she wasn't aware of it. “Yes, I should like to learn how to play chess, if you would be willing to teach me.”

Sophia did not resist, which pleased Esteban. Perhaps she was learning. At least he hoped that was true.

He had asked almost in a sarcastic way if there was more she would like to learn because Sophia seemed intent on learning a dozen things simultaneously. Nevertheless, she professed an interest in chess. That was easy enough to accomplish, and something that he could teach.

"Very well," he agreed. "Let us wait until after our party and we can begin." It was not that he found her company disagreeable. Rather, it seemed that they had so little in common, except for Don Juan.

~fin?

Sophia did want to learn a million things at once. She was insatiably curious and lessons had been a part of her life for as long as she could remember. Perhaps she would be less likely to get into trouble with so many new interests to pursue. Unfortunately, expanding her knowledge would not calm down her raging hormones. There was one way to do that and only Juan was able to satisfy her sensual desires.

“Yes, we can start on New Years Eve.” Before they began, she would set out the chess set she had bought for him, and he would be pleasantly surprised when he saw it.

“I will not press you to attend the party tomorrow night, but I do not wish to stay at home. I never get to go out in the evenings except when there is a ball. I think I shall go to the palace and see if anything is going on there. I will take Karl and Anna with me.”

There was one final question she wished to ask him. “May I have some extra money to buy Christmas gifts? I want to buy something for Don Juan and for my other friends as well.” Her smile was a bit sheepish. “I already spent the allowance you gave me on gifts.”

OOC: This is the last thing she wishes to know.

When she mentioned that she wanted to go out the next night, Esteban became suspicious. Was she trying to fool him and, against his wishes, attend the libertine party? He would not be fooled so easily. Karl would be with her, but had she convinced him to be an accomplice to her adventures? Was that why she needed money? To pay Karl?

He thought long on it, about to suggest that they start their chess lessons on the morrow instead. With longer consideration, he came to a different conclusion.

"You may go with proper escort. I want your word that you will attend no libertine affair tomorrow night, nor this Kendishall party." He paused to receive it. "How much money do you need?"

It had never occurred to Sophia to go to the party after her husband had expressly forbade it. Maybe if he had been more disagreeable, she would have done it, but he was quite pleasant company this afternoon. If he was finally beginning to appreciate her, she didn't want to ruin that opinion by disregarding his wishes. She just didn't want to stay at home when she had been looking forward to an evening out.

“I promise. I just wish to go the palace. I will take some sheet music with me. There is a piano in the music room.” There had been a piano in the house they had rented last summer and she had practiced on it often. She was already proficient on the harpsichord and the piano was similar enough that it was not too difficult to pick out simple tunes. Sophia wanted to move beyond that and play more complicated pieces. She hoped that either Don Juan or Esteban would buy her a piano of her very own for Christmas.

Her expression turned thoughtful when he asked how much money she needed. “Maybe seventy-five pounds for my friends. I want to buy something very special for Don Juan. What do you think is a fair amount to spend on him?”

Her promise seemed to mollify him. He would trust but verify.

"Sophia, presents to friends are just friendly holiday wishes. We are not trying to bribe them," he chuckled. "A wool muffler, a bottle of fine spirits, or a goose is sufficient," he attempted to explain. "Don Juan is a different matter of course; but, even with him, his love for you and us will not be affected by value of the gift. A curiosity or a commemorative is sufficient. Unless you have hundreds friends, I should think your entire budget should be under 50 pounds."

It was perhaps a testament to Sophia's youth and inexperience that she was unaware of the value of money or the purpose of gifts. She had been taken care of all of her life and such decisions had been made for her. Now she was trying to assert her independence a bit and she truly believed that the best gifts were extravagant. Esteban disagreed. Maybe he was right, for he was older and wiser than she … in most things, anyway.

She was surprised that her husband mentioned his master's love for her. He seemed to accept their relationship rather than resent it. “Don Juan will have my portrait, but it will not be ready by New Years Day.” Lord Chichester had told them that fine paintings needed time. “He will be here by then, will he not?”

Her Prince had told her that he would join her in England at the end of the year. “I want to give him something that he will treasure, something that will remind him how much I love him when we are apart.”

He already had a lock of her hair and, unbeknownst to her, a twin of the cameo that she had sat for last spring. “May I have fifty pounds for my friends and up to fifty pounds for him? I may not spend it all. I have not yet found the perfect gift for him.”

"A man in love needs no extravagant gift to kindle his admiration. A letter, a locket, or an embroidered, scented handkerchief should be sufficient." He might not seem the type to understand love, but he sounded as if he might.

"I have not heard from our master. He should have written by now," Esteban confessed. "That means one of two things. Either he cannot escape from his duties in Italy and fears disappointing you greatly for the holiday; or, he is planning to surprise us." He offered a hint of a smile. "Would that not be the best present we could receive? He need not arrive with fancy baubles to win our love further."

Getting back to the subject of money, Esteban was unmoved. "Fifty pounds is far too much a budget, but I am inclined to be more generous in our first holiday; but, be careful that you set no precedent that your friends should expect such plush gifts each year. So, you will be given 50 pounds and I expect a full accounting. If you need more we shall discuss it after your 50 has been spent and I am satisfied that you spent it wisely."

Archived