JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Awkward Circumstances | Late Afternoon 28th- Xmas 1677

Guest John Bramston

Having received directions from the appropriate staff, and the appropriate invitation, John arrived at the appropriate time outside the quarters of the Viscount Beverley. He was dressed neatly and knocked. He'd gotten turned around coming here, and wasn't quite sure where he was in the palace, or what to expect.

OOC: Tag Beverly

Beverley's rooms (which was more just a modest parlour and bedchamber as space in the palace proper was at an exclusive premium) were close to Cumberland's in a quieter part of Whitehall that suited his Prince's more private nature.

He had not anticipated that Lord Maldon would arrive so late in the afternoon and had wondered if the man had not been able to find him.

By that time his lady wife had returned from the Queen's Presence Chamber with Dudley, so there was at least a servant to answer the door.

Dudley was a court veteran in service, likely in his forties, with salt-and-pepper hair, who greeted the other young lord at the door. Not knowing the Lord Maldon they were expecting, he was yet uncertain if this was their expected visitor or someone else.

John had, in fact, had trouble finding him. He still wasn't sure where he was. “The Lord Maldon.” John said with an apologetic smile. I really ought to have sent a note, John cursed his own inconsiderateness in this. He did hope he hadn’t missed the lord or offended him.

Dudley nodded and held the door open for the young lord.

"My lord, Lord Maldon has arrived," he announced.

Beverley had just been walking back into the parlour to see if the knock was, indeed, his visitor. His lady wife, who looked on the young side to be married, rose from a burgundy chaise where she appeared to be putting her touches on a waistcoat for her husband with gold thread.

The viscount was about five and a half feet tall. After his mother's visit, and Dudley's arrival back with his wife, the viscount had put his waistcoat back on and thankfully buttoned with the servant's practiced hands. He looked far more put together again, with his justacorp back on. There was a fire going to warm Maldon from the draft in the corridor.

"Good afternoon, Lord Maldon. I was, erm, beginning to think to send a search party," he said, with a bit of a smile. "This is my lady wife."

John was on the taller side of average, blue eyed and (via a periwig) blonde. He was decent looking other than his limp, shakes, the odd twitch. He was wearing a riding outfit, though done up quite nicely. Still, it had obviously been in use an hour or two beforehand. He was thankful for the fire (doubly so due to having just left a warm place).

John laughed at Beverley’s jest. A small thing, all the more appreciated because it eased John’s fears. “It’d have d-d-done me some… good. Or we’d all have been lost together.” John’s face darkened just a moment, “I’m t-t-terribly sorry for the inconvenience.” He did feel bad about that.

His face brightened again before his wife, “A true p-p-pleasure. I’d heard t-t-tell of you marriage. All of it good, making allowance for the… natural jealousy.” And one big ‘ewwww’ from Sophia.

“Do you m-m-mind if I hang my coat?” John was asking to put it near the fire to dry and warm it. It was, in a wider sense, asking to get comfortable.

Beverley chuckled warmly, "Dudley here knows the palace intimately well for having served my lord father at court before me, so the prospects would have likely been, erm, favourable."

Mary, for her part, smiled and replied, "Thank you, my lord, we are most happy. Apologies for the arrangements, but we have only just moved in. The weather has not been hospitable for moving the prettier of things." Being of such a good house, she had clearly been taught to be a good hostess, no matter her young age.

As to the coat, Beverley gave the slightest nod to Dudley who came forward to help execute the request and take the lord's coat.

"Might you excuse us, my dear wife?" Beverley, meanwhile, asked but told Mary. She smiled with a curtsy and left with her feminine workings.

The viscount gestured to have a seat as he sat in the plain high-backed, wooden chair that was endowed with a few cushions. The other place was a more cushioned chaise that had been put closer to the fire for Mary.

John nodded at Mary’s comments about the weather and her trouble moving, “Do t-t-tell me if I can lend some hands.” John offered. He was offering servants rather than his personal presence.

John shed his coat and took a seat. He eased noticeably. This was the first time he’d sat in comfort today. It might be the last considering he was going out again after this. “How are you f-f-finding the palace then?” John asked.

“I m-m-must admit I know less of you than I’d like, though everyone speaks well of you.” John hadn’t been able to find out as much as he’d like about the viscount. Still, he smiled and hoped he would share.

"Lord Arlington has offered us the palace servants as well, but that is kind to offer, Lord Maldon. Once this weather breaks, I hope it to be easily accomplished."

Beverley smiled at his wife's words, that was all quite true. For some reason, Lord Arlington had been most accommodating. His lips did shift to one side as he considered why this Lord Maldon would offer his help, for they did not even know each other that Beverley recalled. That was not particularly common at court unless someone wanted to ingratiate themselves to you...or to your master.

"Very well indeed," Beverley replied. "Though I confess to be used to far more vast spaces, erm, as you might guess, but his highness requires me nearer and it is quite an honor to be granted rooms at all. It certainly makes my duties easier to execute. I have just to walk down the corridor." He smiled a bit and added, "And who should prefer even a short travel in such weather."

It was unusually cold. London was not generally a place of snow and ice. The viscount was surely no burly, stalwart looking man.

Not the most socially adept, conversations with someone he did not even know were bound to be somewhat awkward even though formality could hide many things. He could not help but raise a brow as Maldon, who seemed about his same age, said he would like to know more about Beverley. THe corners of his lips turned up as he found he felt rather like a debutante being flirted with at a ball.

He supposed after he had arranged things for the French visit of Monsieur, where the entourage had stayed overnight at his family seat in Maidstone on the river, and after he had been honored during the previous spring with his promotion more people of court had interest in him. He was not used to being so visible to more than just the longtime court veterans who had dealings with either his lord father or his master.

"I should hope to be so lucky," the viscount replied to everyone speaking well of him. It was one of those stock answers of polite conversation, something Beverley was well-practiced in conducting. "Perhaps you might enlighten me as to whom I should extend my thanks for such good reports?" He just barely held himself back from confessing to knowing even less of Maldon than the man seemed to know of him; he judged such a thing to invariably come out wrong and kept himself from it.

John chuckled, “Indeed. Hopefully the walls are thick.” John’s desire for privacy would probably always lead to him keeping a separate home. Then again, it was unlikely John would be in Beverley’s position to have such a suite anyway. “But p-p-perhaps you could get a house as well, have the best of both worlds?” John suggested. He knew that was common enough.

John’s head quirked at Beverley’s raised brow, “D-d-did I say something strange?” John smiled as if in anticipation of apologizing for his transgression. Perhaps Beverley was moving up in the world. But John was a poor barometer for such things.

As for who’d spoken well of him. “Lord Devonshire. Lord Newcastle. Lady Toledo. Lady Lucas.” John listed obligingly. He left out the odd gossip who’d passed on rumors. “They brought you up on their own… too.” John hadn’t directly inquired after Beverley at all, unless one counted the very general question John had asked Devonshire.

For a moment, Beverley's face paled just a bit as he thought of the thickness of the walls. It was possible one of the walls was shared with one of his master's, and the sudden thought of Cumberland hearing him bed his wife made a surge of anxiety shoot through him. Enough that he put a hand to his chest for a moment.

"Forgive me, I find my constitution not always the most, erm, stalwart during such weather." He took a breath and forged onward. "I could, but my lord father has already a house on Pall Mall and in Battersea just across the river from Chelsea, as well as in the Minories, so a forth London house in the family for short times during season is not, erm, a good use of adding property, especially as my master wishes me here. We could have much the same privacy as our own house in any of the London houses," he lied. Well, it wasn't entirely a lie; they could have privacy if his father allowed it since the houses were large enough. He was not about to own up to strife in his family. Such things were rarely discussed, and he had done a fairly good job at keeping the estrangement concealed.

"Ah, yes, Lord Devonshire is of an age with my lord father. Erm, Old Royalists of such an age do tend to band together, especially as they grow fewer in number." That rather explained the good words of Beverley in the viscount's mind, even though he had gotten a good deal of notice in his own right.

Lord Worcester had apparently beaten the Duke of Newcastle in the business of marriage-making, or perhaps it was more that Newcastle's son and son-in-law did not provide the caliber of ally Brooke would bargain in for his heir; an unfortunate truth and Beverley knew his father quite well. His preference had been for Mary, but if the better arrangement was with Lady Frances, Beverley was quite certain his preference would not have mattered one jot. No matter, it was certainly not something which he would discuss. He was pleased the duke thought well of him and continued to.

"Lady Toledo is a very kind young lady, erm, I doubt she would have an unkind word for or about anyone." Beverley then added, "I do not even think I am acquainted with a Lady Lucas.*"

(OOC - LMFAO , I forgot about the thread where Cordelia said he was just the son of a viscount)

“There’s something about having your own… house. That you own.” John opined. John was obviously talking of his own thoughts more than Beverley’s. But he sunk into a smile. “Well, everyone has their own preferences.”

Such thoughts were present in John’s mind from his own circumstances. Devonshire had extensive properties too but John had chosen to stand… not on his own, but at least in his own house.

“She’s a c-c-connection of Newcastle’s. Mother of the Lucas Baronet.” John said of Lady Lucas. He didn’t know how she knew him. Perhaps she didn’t and had just praised him for the sake of seeming in the know.

John chuckled, “You are too m-m-modest.” He said. “When… dukes, ambassadors, and great men sing your p-p-praises, blushing is fine. But I w-w-wouldn’t dismiss them.” It might make them re-evaluate the praise. John added silently.

“But I have answered your question, t-t-tell me of yourself.” John said with a smile. He knew little aside from something of his family and marriage, his connection to Prince Rupert, and that Beverley had some talent with horses.

"My lady wife brought me Pauntley Court, so I do. I simply do not have my own London House," Beverley qualified. That was hardly a strange thing. His was not the only family that cohabitated during the London season. "Beverley is too far in the east ridings to ever go there, but it is a pretty place off the Humber on the River Hull."

Even if his father let him live there alone, he likely still would not go there very much. The North had never much appealed to him. Neither had Ireland. He had spent most of his time and childhood at Maidstone; it was their seat and grandest property.

"Hmm, I cannot confess to knowing the baronet either." Curious that someone would mention him who was not even introduced. He did not think himself that great of a personage, but then again he felt his father's shadow more keenly than many young men.

Beverley chuckled, "I would not count an ambassador's wife as an ambassador, for I do not think I know Toledo at all either, nor do I have any wish to be appreciated by the Spanish. She is a very kind young lady, though, no matter her marriage circumstances." He had, after all, not gone to their event the year before, nor Sophia's wedding. Associating with outright Catholics, foreign ones to boot, was about as foolish as one could get at court, especially when one was trying to hide that one was also Catholic.

"I am quite appreciative of the praises of His Grace and Lord Devonshire, though, but both have had more dealings with my lord father than me in particular. It is, erm, of course nice to be appreciated for my duties and service to our military affairs." He knew Albemarle and Ogle far better than either of the elder Cavendishes.

"Tell you about myself?" the viscount raised a brow. What a strange question. "I do not wish to give you any offense, but to what end?" He was not sure he took kindly to being interviewed. It seemed like what one might ask of a servant or someone being vetted for a position.

“Ah, congratulations.” John said of the new property. John was a rather private man, so it made sense he valued his own space. But he didn’t find anything strange in Beverley’s living in the house or cohabitating. At least not strange in the sense that it aroused any suspicion. "So you're a northerner then?" John asked.

“Hmm. Curious.” John said. He didn’t know what to make of Robert’s not knowing Cordelia. Something to store away for later, but not immediately relevant.

John shrugged at Beverley’s reply. John had included Sophia because, as an ambassador, she had very high status. It was a diplomatic nicety, a way to avoid the humiliation of the representative of a foreign king bowing before local nobility. But he could easily understand the cautiousness there.

“Devonshire spoke of you. Not your f-f-father.” John shared. In fact, John knew relatively little of Beverley’s father. The focus on Beverley was at least partly due to the nature of John’s questions, though. Indeed, John had been directed to him for the same reason (probably) that Beverley knew Ablemarle and Ogle better than Newcastle and Devonshire.

John let out a laugh at Beverley’s eyebrow, “That I m-m-might know you better. Don’t then, if it doesn’t… please you.” John wasn’t going to dig in on the subject.

Beverley smiled at the label of being a Northerner. "Two of my lord father's estates are in Kent, my lady mother's in Sussex, so I would not say much of a northerner, no."

Beverley would have thought that someone might have learned more about him before asking for a meeting, one which Beverley was still not certain of the purpose; he has assumed that there was one, but he was beginning to wonder.

"Then I am happy for the earl's praise." He had no idea why it was given, but he was happy for it nonetheless. He assumed it was some recognition of his place with Cumberland, or his duties with their military endeavors, or perhaps even receiving Monsieur; he could not recall if Devonshire had been a part of those receiving the French prince, but he did not think he had gone. Perhaps it was on talk alone. He had not done anything particular for Lord Devonshire before either.

Does he even know who my lord father is? the viscount thought. The other young man was asking a lot of questions. It seemed to Beverley evidence that he must be rather new to court.

"I am not, erm, accustomed to such things," Beverley excused of his objection, after Maldon laughed at it. "I do not oft receive someone who wishes to ask me such personal things upon first meeting." In fact, he considered it fairly abnormal, but he did not wish to say so because that would be behavior beneath him. Questions like that had a tendency to put him on his guard; it would not be the first time someone had wished to get close to him because of his lord father's position or his master's position.

"I'faith, I do not know what one might wish to know of me more than what is easy knowledge. I assume you know who I serve and who my lord father is, such is the, erm, bulk of what there might be to know of a fresh acquaintance," Beverley said, clearly more perplexed than unnerved. "That explains much of me, I think." He blinked and then tried to cover the awkwardness of it by giving a nod toward his cup to Dudley and then gestured to Maldon, "A drink?"

• 3 weeks later...

John puffed but nodded at Beverley’s clarification of his home. John suspected the praise had to do with the fact Devonshire saw Beverley as a stout royalist who was obedient to his father. Neither John nor his former guardian were in a position to appreciate that irony.

“Ah,” John realized something of Beverley’s discomfort. “Well, what w-w-would you prefer to talk about? Horses?” John offered. That was one thing that had come up in asking about him. John had looked into who Beverley was. Not every question was asked because John didn’t know the answer.

John quirked his head slightly at Beverley’s declaration his father and master were who he was. But he smiled warmly. Truthfully he wasn’t so different, too eager to see himself as a position than a man. “If you would.” John agreed to the drink.

I should ask him for a favor, It would allow Beverley to contextualize this as an awkward attempt to curry favor. In truth, John was here because Beverley had been on a list of people Devonshire thought would be a good influence on John. And because John had been tending seaward at the moment. Ah. The answer was obvious

After the drink arrived, “I’m to be introduced to Lord Cumberland soon. Is there any advice you c-c-could… give?” That was true enough. Devonshire had decided it’d do something for his royalist sentiments to actually meet the royals. Or perhaps he had some wider aim John did not see.

OOC: Ack! Sorry for the wait! Please PM me if it takes this long again.

"Horses? Are you fond of horses, Maldon?" he asked, brightening some on that topic. He was no grand breeder of horses, but he might wish to become so if he had coin for such a thing. They bred their horses some, and he was quite interested in all such things. "I enjoy racing. I have not yet had the success of Lord Langdon," who was known as Lightening Langdon, "But I have one strong mount for racing and am bringing up another colt. I am hoping the weather breaks enough for a hunt. It is unseasonably frigid for London, though I am sure the Scots don't mind." He chuckled some at his own little joke, pleased he had thought of it. Beverley was not the naturally funny sort.

Dudley, meanwhile, put together a cup for Lord Maldon and gave it to the young earl before he filled his master's up wordlessly. It was a warm, mulled wine.

Then, he thought, the true purpose behind the visit came to a bit of light, or at least he thought so whether wrongly or not. Maldon was going to be introduced to Cumberland.

"Certainly," he replied, taking a sip to wet his mouth before he continued. "His highness is even more an, erm, English prince than a German one," for Cumberland had spent much of his life not around his German relations but his English ones, serving English purposes, "but he favors the straightforward more so than an Englishman and dislikes intriguing. As I am sure, erm, Lord Devonshire is, my master is very traditional like the other old Cavaliers. As any prince, he enjoys having attentions on him in conversation." He paused to take another sip. "With the talk of war, it is most expedient to talk about such things. We wish funding to continue the outfitting of the Navy with his namesake cannons."

“Yes, of c-c-course.” John said. He was a bit scandalized by the idea of someone not liking horses. “Oh yes?” John said. “I’ve always f-f-felt… a deficient there. But it’s one of the… great joys of my life to go riding through the countryside. Wind in your hair.” John’s tone was wistful.

He remembered himself after a moment, “Mine’s… not a racehorse, honestly.” There was no point in getting one when he felt deficient. John rode a grey who was mostly white. Mostly because John liked the heraldic significance of the white horse, Invicta. But he didn’t want to actually spend the money for a white.

“Say, I know a young… lad that recently got an excellent horse. Good fellow, Robert Gerard. He loves… horses too but could use a bit of help handling it. Maybe you… could show us a bit?” John’s eyes sparkled with the possibilities. Maybe he would be better at it than he thought. “We could go out in the countryside, or up to a track…”

John sipped the wine. He nodded at hearing Cumberland was more English than Rhenish, Well, John thought, Good thing I gave away the last of the nutcrackers then. Reminding Cumberland of a homeland he felt little attachment to would be worse than useless.

“That shouldn’t be hard.” Court had been abuzz with it last season, “He is for the war, I t-t-take it?” John asked.

As for funding, “He should t-t-talk to Devonshire about it. He has a great d-d-deal of influence in Parliament. More if he can get his relatives on board.” John naturally presumed that was the source of money.

“How much d-d-do the cannons cost, anyway?” John asked. “C-c-can you tell me that? Or how much you need?” As a lord, John could be privy to classified information. But he wasn’t necessarily.

Beverley smiled, "I think that freedom and excitement just grows more in a race. Perhaps that is just the honor in noble competition when, erm, private prowess only does much for those who naturally think overly well of themselves."

THere was not much that most people saw that the viscount was good at. He was more visible with Cumberland after a few accolades and also a good marriage, but he was not like those young men who had all the ladies hanging about or who made the King laugh.

"A thicker horse then?" Beverley speculated was what Maldon owned. Those for racing tended to be more lithe and have Arab or Barbary blood like Buckingham's, Lady O'Roarke's, or..."If you truly wish to test perhaps His Grace of Newcastle might have stock which you could try to see if it could suit you."

When the earl asked Beverley of one of the Gerards, his eyebrow quirked up some.

"One of Lord Gerard's younger sons or the cousins?" Beverley asked, though it mattered little as he paused for but a moment and then continued. "Lord Gerard is likely my master's eldest remaining friend. He is quite close with the family. I do not know Robert, though I have to talk or correspond with Lord Gerard over his regiment of horse often." A thought which made Beverley pause for another moment. There were many Gerards who were likely very skilled riders with Lord Gerard being so known for that very thing. Perhaps embarrassment at needing to improve or a desire to secretly outdo siblings; either, Beverley could imagine.

"I am always happy for a ride, so when the weather breaks some, I would surely ride."

As to war, Beverley nodded, "His Highness is not a man who thinks battle by attempted assassination is gentlemanly, so it is not a slight which he enjoys the King bearing after last winter. It is happy coincidence that Englishmen almost always seem to, erm, unite under a call for French blood." For the rest, it was more that there was coin to be made, power to grab, or valor to showcase. Perhaps for some it was even a chance to die in a brave way than sick in one's bed.

"I was of the thought the earl was quite the supporter of His Majesty, so I doubted little of his intentions for his vote." Beverley considered this, wondering if Maldon was saying anything below the literal, still wearing a small smile. The old Royalists were some of the easiest to anticipate in his mind, for they had given their loyalty at far greater cost before. "One wishes most to know about those more ambiguous votes, but if His Highness has yet to speak with him, it would be worth a query. And, yes, they are more costly but quite the performers," Beverley said, not willing to be very specific. It was hard, if not impossible, to get information bad once given.

"It is no pittance, but I cannot yet place a number." He had spoken of preliminary estimates with his master, but he was also to get updates from Pepys, so things could change very quickly. He would not want an initial number to skew the vision of the true number that was presented.

“Well, you’ll have to show us.” John said of racing, a smile on his lips. As for his horse, John laughed, “Wait and see.” He was sure Beverley could divine a great deal from seeing them. Though John was happy with his horse for the moment. More because he enjoyed the creature’s temperament than its abilities, in frank.

“A younger son.” John clarified. He smiled and nodded to Beverley’s agreement. “I shall arrange it. On the track, let's say.” John presumed there was a track somewhere. Perhaps this fellow can do something about Robert’s hair… The poor lad had a teenager’s fashion sense.

John was not intimating anything about Devonshire's loyalty. “Oh, I imagine he’ll vote for supply.” John said plainly. “I just imagine he might know something of those who are… more ambiguous.” John borrowed the term. He hoped, in time, Devonshire would see that his position was better than he imagined. Perhaps this could be an example. Something he could influence his son and the rest on.

John nodded to the quiet on price. He presumed it was a matter of classification rather than ignorance. Regardless, he would find out if a bill ever came before Parliament.

“Performers?” John repeated. “Do you think it would d-d-do well in a coastal emplacement? There’s always the issue with ships… dancing into ranging, unloading, and withdrawing.” If the forts outranged the enemy ships, though, that tactic became much riskier.

Beverley thought Maldon asked a lot of questions about military matters though he had never heard the man's name or title mentioned before as having anything to do with them. He vaguely recalled that Maldon had only just had his first sitting of Parliament, so it was curious that he thought about such things. Beverley wasn't sure whether the earl was trying to learn things from him or just seem smart about things he couldn't know much about.

Either way, he was not one to go divulging important facts about their new weaponry to a gentleman he knew very little about.

"Such specifics will be left to later dates. I am sure you understand the need to keep such information to a select few for as long as possible. The more people who know such things, erm, the more chance there is for the information to get out in an undesirable way." The viscount thought to be more direct about the issue to avoid having to skirt more questions about the specifics.

"If you were eager to make personal contributions toward the funding, my master might be inclined to share some of such information earlier than it is available to Parliament." Coin spoke in many different ways.

Changing the subject some, in his awkward fashion, Beverley said, "So this ride with the young Gerard...you are wishing to do so at Newmarket? I am not aware of any closer tracks. Such things are generally laid out for a specific event, erm, not maintained constantly." He hmmed for a moment, "Lady O'Roarke does some breeding in Chelsea, but I do not think that she has a track for her purposes either. There are plenty of fields that could likely be used for such a purpose."

John’s mind was more on the local defensive emplacements than naval engagements. He had learned such lessons as being under naval bombardment (and the locals returning fire) taught. John had not even flinched when cannons sent the lords fleeing last season.

John had not lived as peaceful or isolated a life as most people presumed. But John didn't correct those who thought him a total neophyte. There was little reason to. (And something impossible about saying 'I am experienced!'. The very act was childish.)

Beverley was direct and John smiled, “As you say.” He replied. “What I was… thinking.” John was equally frank, “Was that the c-c-coastal counties forts will want good defenses. They’re the… next line of defense after the navy. But I won't p-p-pretend to expertise.”

John let out a brief puff when he asked for a contribution. "I d-d-did ask you the price. What you needed. But if you d-d-don't wish to tell me, I won't press." John was dropping the subject unless Beverley continued on.

John chuckled as Beverley revealed he knew much more about local racing than John. “Well, m-m-might I trust you to arrange things then?” He asked. John usually went riding in the countryside and didn’t race. “I’d be grateful.” He added. It would take some burden off his shoulders. He noted too there was no permanent racetrack close to London.

• 2 weeks later...

"That may be so, but if we cannot supply the ships, we surely cannot supply the coast or ports, so it is something of a moot point," Beverley replied. "Forging is a time-consuming process and we will be pressed as is. His Highness focuses on what is doable and most advantageous."

Making hundreds of cannon did not happen in a fortnight and his master had made no mention of any intention of fortifying ports with the cannon, so Beverley did not invest his time in contemplating it. His master knew more about naval affairs and warfare than anyone in His Majesty's kingdoms, and the viscount deferred to that expertise in such matters.

Frowning some in confusion, Beverley replied, "One need not know the cost of one cannon to make a contribution toward outfitting the Navy. That would seem to be more constrained by someone's income and coffers than on what needs be procured. Any coin is helpful and a more abundant generosity certain to garner some attention especially in those who are first to do so." He gave something of a facial shrug. Perhaps Lord Maldon did not have much coin, for so many questions on cost seemed strange to Beverley.

It's Christmastide, perhaps he bought too many extravagant presents? the young viscount mused.

"That is no difficult thing. I can arrange something," he answered, with a nod.

• 2 weeks later...

“Certainly. Quite sensible.” John said. He was willing to defer to the experts, even if that meant have a wall of wood abroad rather than a wall of stone at home. Hopefully there will be no Medway. “Forgive me for… bothering you with my amateur thoughts.” John smiled apologetically. Though he did consider it somewhat his duty, since he voted.

John wasn’t sure what to make of Beverley’s confusion. Beverley’s actions made it look like he was asking for a bribe. And not very subtly. John was too polite to point out knowing what he was buying made it harder for Beverley to just pocket the money. And just personally, John preferred to give a gift of a number of cannons over an amount in pounds.

So John looked back with an equal amount of confusion over his refusal. John hadn’t had many questions, he’d had one that Beverley had steadfastly refused to answer. John looked a bit agape as Beverley basically accused him of poverty. Then he laughed, My, but you haven’t given me so much as a kind word. “A hundred pounds. I'm... afraid I c-c-can't give more than a token, really.” John said. His tone was even.

“Thank you,” John said with a smile. Beverley would no doubt know more about local racetracks.

The viscount could have little idea what was going on in the earl's mind nor any ability to make sense of it if he did. Beverley would not have been the one to collect donations, that being a matter for lesser men who were involved with the coin, like the good Pepys. So skimming was not of Beverley's repertoire enough for him to suspect what John might think of him.

What he did think, though, was more wholly based upon what the other man said. A hundred was quite a paltry sum!

"Perhaps it is not an endeavor to your tastes, then. For while I would, erm, happily relay such an offer, I would do you a disservice by doing so." And then he added more quietly, as if he was being nice and friendly by not accepting the sum, "Some offers are so little as to be more insult than aid to a royal. That would not even cover the purchase of one of the old cannon in a used state much less improved one."

Surely that was not what one wished to say when one was attempting to show largesse which was what Beverley thought most men's motives were for such actions as donation.

"I will look forward to our time riding, though," the viscount said, since it did not seem to him that Maldon was a very good source of advantage to the Navy and he thought to politely change the topic.

• 3 weeks later...

“As you say. As I said, I can offer luh-little but a token.” John said with a smile. He did not fear looking stingy in part due to his opulent gardens. “I thank you… for the service.” He spoke of Beverley’s discretion of recommending he not make the offer. The sum had been enough to buy several normal cannons. But John was not one to push on the refusal.

“I too.” John said of riding. “I think… you and my f-f-friend will find each other decent folk.” He did not stand but felt the meeting was drawing to a close. He wasn’t sure that he’d gained anything by the meeting, but it was useful to make the acquaintance. Perhaps Devonshire would have more to say about how he should act in regards to the navy.

Archived