JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

To Mistress Ellen Doolittle | arrives 28/12- Xmas 1677

Sophia de la Cerda

Dear Mistress Doolittle,

I know I am the last person you would expect to hear from, but please read this letter before tossing it away. I have recently taken up a few charitable causes, and if you are also interested in helping the poor and unfortunate, I have an idea I would like to run by you. I know we have not gotten along well in the past, but I hope all that is behind us now. I would enjoy working with you to improve the lives of the citizens of London. Perhaps in the process, we can become friends.

If you are interested, please let me know and we can work out a time and place to discuss this.

Sincerely,

Lady Toledo

After sealing the letter, she fastened a sprig of holly to it with two ribbons tied in a bow … one red and one gold ... and sent it by courier to be delivered immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

She'd purposly left the note unopened until late afternoon - too late to pen a relpy if one was needed.

Seating herself behind her father's desk she broke the seal and read the contents. It was brief and caused her to laugh then say aloud

'helping the poor and unfortunate indeed. I think it nothing but another way to garner attentions onto herself! She will find it a thankless task - the only interest will be in how much coin she parts with.'

Reaching for a sheet of paper she took up a quill and in her precise and neatly slanting script penned her reply

Lady Toledo, indeed I was most surprised to hear from you on any matter, and yet I find myself curious as to just what 'Plan' you imagine will be of any use to those so described as unfortunate and poor about London. Tis a Noble endever nonetheless. I shall be happy to call at the Embassy on the day and time of your chosing.

E Doolittle

There were no mistakes or blotches and so it was sanded then sealed then left on the desk where it would be hand delivered to the Embassy the next morning.

• 1 month later...

~arrives in the early morning of the 29th

Sophia had not really expected a reply to the letter she had written to Ellen Doolittle, but it appeared that her audacity had paid off and her former enemy was curious as to how she could be of assistance to the needy citizens of London. Maybe working for a common cause would settle the differences between them.

Dear Mistress Doolittle,

Thank you so much for agreeing to meet with me. Would Friday morning be a good time for you? My residence is quieter than the Embassy and is not very far from it. I shall have tea and refreshments prepared for us. If you already have another engagement planned for that time, then we can work out a date and time that would suit you better.

Sincerely,

Lady Toledo

Again, she sent the note off to be delivered by hand.

A return was sent

I shall be happy to call on Friday at your residence. I am indeed quite curious as to what the topics will be.

E. Doolittle

And it was True - she was curious as to what Sophia might be entangling herself with now - and if she ran to form than, well, things were like to get out of hand and a steadying voice would be needed she was sure.

Plus there was the Ambassador to think of as well. Ellen felt a certain sorryness for that Gentleman who was now tasked with controlling a much younger wife with ambitions and the abality to NOT see her own folly.

Archived