JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Five Hundred Pound Proposition [26/12, evening]- Xmas 1677

Sophia de la Cerda

{OOC: Posted with mod permission as a continuation of the 'Charity Begins At Church' thread}

The Toledo Residence

Esteban had been at the Embassy when Sophia returned from her 'painting excursion' and she had not been able to inform him of the plans she had made at church. By the time she had washed and changed, it was time for dinner, and now she made her way to the dining room, hoping that he would share the evening meal with her tonight.

They had not spoken much since the ball the night before, and she feared he was still angry with her because of her performance at the opera … or perhaps because she had been right when she had told him that nobody would shun them because of it. Hopefully, he would see the wisdom of donating to the Queen's charities and he would be proud of her for suggesting it.

Sophia knew he would never love her, and she didn't expect him to, but she felt that now more than ever, she needed to show him that she would be an asset to him rather than a liability. She was willing to do whatever she could to change England's perception of Spain, and she thought that contributing to the welfare of their adopted country would be advantageous in many ways.

Taking a deep breath, she stepped into the dining room, hoping that he would already be there waiting for her.

Esteban was there, seated in his chair at one end of the table. He had been conferring with Karl, but dismissed the man when he saw his wife enter. Maria was seated at the table as well.

"There you are," he declared matter of factly. "Please be seated so Cook can bring the soup." It was clear he had been waiting for her. "So, wife, where were you today? I returned from chapel to find you gone. Karl knows not where you have been." He did not look amused.

He was there, but he didn't look pleased to see her. It seemed as if he never smiled anymore. Was he that disappointed in her? Did he now regret letting Juan talk him into marrying her? Sophia wasn't sure if that was why he had wed her but she suspected that she would not have been his first choice for a wife. Yet if that was so, why had he consummated the marriage? There was no chance of getting an annulment now, not that she wanted one. He had been kind to her before the opera and she had been quite content.

She could guess what he had been talking to Karl about. Perhaps that was why he didn't rise and pull her chair out for her. Obediently, she sat down and smiled at Maria before turning her attention back to Esteban.. Her gown was the same ice-blue as her eyes and the silver embroidery that adorned it glittered in the light of the chandelier. No matter how discontented he was with her was now, she was certain that he his feelings toward her would change once he knew of the opportunity she had arranged for him.

Maybe he would even smile at her again.

Bringing the subject up, though, was not going to be as easy as she had thought. He immediately asked her where she had been, which she had expected as soon as she had seen the bodyguard. Nothing of the tension roiling inside her showed in her expression, her body language, or her voice. Drawing on her considerable acting ability, she was able to appear confident and poised.

“Lady Kendishall came over for lunch and I took her up to the music room so I could hear her play her cello. After she left, I felt a bit restless and I decided to go to the park and paint on the spur of the moment. I rode Acapella and when I didn't find a good place to paint, I rode through the city and into the forest, because he seemed as restless as I was and I thought he could use the exercise.”

"We have been over this before wife," he reminded her. "Karl is to accompany you whenever you are not in my company and away from home. The French are looking for a way to strike at us, and you still have one Italian madman on the loose who could kidnap you. Incited mobs against the Catholics would kill you if they could. It is not safe." Don Juan would never forgive me if anything happened to you.

"Do not go out alone again. I want your promise." He gave her a threatened stare to demonstrate that he was serious.

At least his voice didn't rise in anger when he chastised her. Sophia never forgot the danger of being the wife of a foreign Catholic and the mistress of the Prime Minister of Spain. She could easily be kidnapped and her safety bartered for whatever their enemies wanted from them. As for the Italians, she had thought they were both dead. The one who had claimed to love her had probably tried to abduct her during the summer, though she wasn't certain if that had been his intention.

Those terrors did not frighten her as they once had. Perhaps, like Juan, she had become accustomed to having a target on her back. Or maybe she disregarded them because taking a bodyguard with her everywhere meant that she had to stay out of mischief. How could she bring Karl with her to her meeting with Lord Arundel? He might agree to wait outside when they went into the cabin, but he would report where she had been and who she had been with to Esteban. His loyalty lay with the man who paid his wages.

The petite blonde feigned remorse with the skill of a seasoned actress. “I promise,” she said, looking down at her empty plate before raising her eyes to his again. “I expected to paint for several hours and I dd not want Karl to become bored or cold.” Let him think that compassion for the bodyguard had been the reason she had left him behind.

How am I going to get away Wednesday afternoon? I suppose I will have to be creative.

“I have news that will please you, husband. At church this morning, Lady Mountjoy asked for contributions of five hundred pounds for the Queen's charities. Many fine gentleman donated to the cause. I told her that you would like to donate as well. We are to go to the Queen's presence chamber tomorrow to make it official.”

"Good," he replied in response to her promise. "Nothing more need be said. Karl will accompany you everywhere." Maria pretended not to listen.

The cabbage soup was brought by the servants. "I cannot say I have developed a taste for English food," Esteban muttered.

Sophia went on to talk about a 500 pound donation to the Queen's charities. This caused Toledo to pause his soup spoon and drop it back into the small bowl. "What?" It was clear he was not pleased. "Five hundred pounds is a large sum of money Sophia. It can fund all Spanish operations in England for a year ... pay our staff and soldiers. We are not wealthy. The Spanish treasury is empty. Don Juan could spare us little. We are living on my rents from Toledo. We are hosting a party that will cost hundreds of pounds. It is such things that will earn regard for Spanish interests; not gifts to the Queen. She has no real influence in politics or diplomacy. The money would be better spent bribing Englishmen," he tried to explain. Maria kept eating her soup.

"You have gotten us into this; now you need to find a way out." He realized that he could not simply order Sophia to tell Ursula that he had decided to renege on his wife's pledge. "Money matters must be left to me." This was, perhaps, the reason that Ursula would not accept promises from ladies.

Sophia was genuinely surprised that their cook, who specialized in Spanish and Italian fare, had chosen to prepare an English meal for them. Maybe she had decided to try something new tonight. “I will have a word with Cook,” she promised. She would choose each day's menu herself if she had to. The diminutive blonde was not fond of English food either. It was so bland.

The soup wasn't bad, though, or perhaps she was just hungrier that usual after her forbidden adventure. She had taken several sips before she told him about the contribution she had arranged. Unprepared for his exclamation of displeasure, she startled when he dropped his spoon, her eyes wide. The warm liquid churned in her stomach and she was afraid that it might made an unwanted reappearance. Why was he not pleased?

Sophia had absolutely no concept of money. She had thought that five hundred pounds was a mere pittance, considering that so many gentlemen had donated. Apparently, it was a lofty sum, but surely he was exaggerating when he said they weren't wealthy. She knew that her father had left her a substantial dowry. He probably just didn't understand what a fantastic opportunity she had given him. Once she explained the benfits, he would quickly change his mind, she just knew it.

“It is not a gift to the Queen, Esteban. It is a way to help the poor and unfortunate of our adopted country. I know that England has poor view of Spain. You do not think that being known to care for the welfare of the English people could help change that perception? At the ball, you told me that some Englishmen favored the French. Well, not a single Frenchman made a donation yesterday.” Which wasn't very surprising since they were predominately Catholic. “You could set yourself above them by this single selfless act.

“The Queen is not without influence. She had the King's mistresses sent to Chelsea, didn't she? He obviously listens to her and wants her to be content. She is also a foreigner and knows the challenges we face. She could be an excellent ally, particularly if she becomes a good friend to your wife. This donation will bring me to her attention. If I can become a part of her inner circle, I could become a great asset to you.”

"If you were speaking of 50 pounds," Esteban began, that would be one thing Sophia, but 500 pounds is quite another." He had enough of the cabbage soup and waved it off. A servant collected it and offered him spiced beans instead. He declined that as well. He informed the servant that he would await the next course.

"The Queen has influence in dealing with the affairs of women, not with the affairs of England," he replied, not realizing how insulting that might seem to a more modern woman. "We need to win the lords that influence policy in Parliament," he added more quietly. "Prince Rupert, Buckingham, Cavendish and Howard."

"If we gave 500 pounds, few would know of it. The French would match it if they thought we were gaining anything by it. They would give more, just top make us look poor in comparison, then the money will have gained us naught. If you give 500 pounds to the Queen, how much must we give to the King, and to York, and to each member of the Privy Council. It sets a price that is too high for our embassy." He paused to see if anything was sinking in with his fiscally ignorant wife.

Confident that she could persuade him as to wisdom of her plan, Sophia's stomach stopped churning and she finished the rest of her soup. Ice-skating had taken a lot of energy and she dug into the spiced beans as well. Surprisingly, Esteban barely touched his soup and waved away the second course. Was he annoyed because she was right again? It was not like her husband to refuse food.

Yet still he argued. Her fork paused in midair as she answered him. “You do not think that Her Majesty has Prince Rupert's ear? She is his niece, is she not? I think you do not give her enough credit.” Because she's a woman, she added silently to herself. “Lord Buckingham and Lord Norfolk both donated. I think they would be impressed if they discover that you pledged money to charity too. It is something they would not expect of you and perhaps they will look at Spain in a different light. If you are willing to help them, they will be more willing to help you.”

She took another forkful of beans and washed it down with a sip of wine. At least they had a bite to them and weren't as bland as the soup. Sophia had a bite to her as well, and she wasn't going to give up without a fight.

“You do not understand. Everyone in the Queen's presence chamber will know of it tomorrow and they will spread it around. If the French match your donation or exceed it, they will only be copying you. You will be the first foreign Ambassador to contribute and that will count for much.” The young singer narrowed her eyes slyly. “Unless they hear of it too and beat you to it. How will you feel then? France will become known as a benefactor of the English people and Spain will look both poor and selfish. That, I believe, is too high a price to pay.

“It is not the Queen you will be giving money to. You are supporting her charities, and by helping the poor and ill of London, you will show the King and the Privy Council how important you believe the welfare of the English people to be. You said that the money could be better used to bribe Englishmen. That is exactly what this contribution will do. But you will be bribing them with good deeds instead of padding their pockets. You will be setting an example. They will not want you to get the upper hand, so they might do a good deed for you in return.”

Finishing her beans, she pushed the plate away, ready for the next course. “If you do this, I promise I will not buy anything new this season. And I will put off redecorating the house and Embassy until we have recovered financially.” Sophia still thought that they had five hundred pounds and more to spare, but she could make this concession, even though she hated to postpone the redecorating. She had enough gowns and accessories, and if he insisted she continue to be frugal next season, she could have last year's spring gowns updated to reflect the new styles.

"The dukes of England would have had to donate Sophia. They had no choice. If Don Juan asked us to give to his charity, we would, without hesitation. A foreigner might not," he explained.

"Recognition with the English in the Queen's presence room will be fleeting, especially since so many others had given." Her point about Spain being the only foreign power to give was a valid point, but he had no reason to acknowledge it yet. He still wanted her to understand the foolishness of the endeavor first.

"The English people hate Catholics. We are a Catholic nation. Such a donation would be like throwing a spoonful of water upon a raging fire. It might help for a moment but is quickly overwhelmed by he raging fire."

He was pleased to hear of his wife's willingness to sacrifice economically, but it was unlikely that she would stick to her pledge. Ladies were not well-versed in sacrifice. "How might we offer only a hundred pounds instead?" he asked, showing some compromise.

Roasted lamb with mint was brought in for the main course. Potatoes were on the side. It was to be an English meal.

“No, the attention we receive will not be fleeting. Our donation will stand out above the others because nobody will expect an official contribution from the representative of a foreign country. Those lords you want to impress will hear of it, and they will view you with more respect. They may even be willing to contribute to the welfare of the people of Spain in return.”

Sophia was becoming a bit frustrated that he seemed so certain that nothing he could do would change England's perception of Spain. With an attitude like that, he was destined for failure. If you wanted somebody to believe in you, first you had to believe in yourself. Then you had to work hard to prove your worth. Bribing just led to more bribing, and that would deplete their funds much quicker than a single donation.

“A Catholic giving to a Protestant cause will be noticed, and again, it will make you look much better than the French. It will not change everyone's opinion, but it will change some. The fire may not go out, but it will lose some of its heat. I will find more opportunities like this as well. Unexpected ways for Spain to shine in the eyes of the English people. This is just the first step. I think I know more about the social aspects of court than you do. We can work together. You handle the political angles and I will handle the social ones.”

Finally it seemed as if he was beginning to see reason. One hundred pounds would not make as much of an impact as five hundred, but Sophia didn't think she had specified an exact number when she had spoken to Lady Mountjoy. It was more important to be seen doing a good deed for the English people (and beating the French to it) than it was to contribute a large sum of money. And only the Queen and Lady Mountjoy needed to know the exact amount. Everyone else could speculate and perhaps she could lead them to believe that they had donated much more than they actually had. Still …

“How about three hundred?” She would try to get him to pledge as much as possible. “The more you donate, the harder it will be for the French to surpass it.”

Sophia began to raise valid counter arguments, though Esteban was loathe to admit it. Far better to be stubborn at times. If Sophia thought she could best him in an argument, he would be opening a door, for the next 50 years, that should have remained closed. Expectations needed to be set early in a marriage.

"I disagree with your assessment of the benefits Sophia," he replied after hearing her out. "One must weigh the benefits against the cost. Is it the best use of 500 pounds? I think not."

The most welcome news was that she was lowering the offer to 300 pounds, signifying that she had not pledged 500 pounds. It allowed the man to exhale a bit.

"Half that, I think. 150 pounds is more than generous."

Esteban obviously didn't understand Sophia very well. By not acknowledging the wisdom of her arguments, he was not putting his foot down but provoking her into challenging him more often in the future. Germans never backed down and they were stubborn to a fault. The next fifty years would be full of debates unless he died prematurely of frustration. Plus, he was inviting a plethora of triumphant variations of 'I told you so' if her suppositions proved to be correct.

She said nothing when he disagreed with her, nor did any negative emotion flicker across her face. Her expression remained completely neutral. He would see that she was right in time. As long as he did not donate a ridiculously low amount, she believed the desired effect would be achieved.

“Half what the others donated would be better,” she suggested after daintily chewing and swallowing a bite of roast lamb. “But if one hundred and fifty is the highest you will go, I understand. And I can go ahead with my plans to redecorate this house and make it ours instead of Ronquillo's.” What would he prefer, she wondered, donating to charity or spending his money on new wallpaper and furnishings?

“You will come with me tomorrow, will you not? The contribution should come from you, not from me. I have other things to discuss with Lady Mountjoy, so you will not need to stay long. I told her we would be there at three in the afternoon.”

"Half would be better if goodwill depended merely on the size of a gift," her husband replied. As to a choice between a grander gift or decorations, he was quick to indicate his preference. "Proceed with the decorations, but we shall deduct 150 pounds from the budget."

"Yes, I will accompany you. We will explain that we are not seeking anything in return, other than goodwill. That may help and explain the smaller gift," he offered as an idea. "What other things do you have to discuss with Lady Mountjoy?" He gave her a look that made plain that she was to have no secrets from him in such matters.

He was set on one hundred and fifty pounds. Sophia was afraid that if she continued to negotiate for for more that he would decide not to contribute at all. She had seen his anger the morning after the opera and knew that it would not be wise to push him too far. It was not an insulting amount and perhaps as Spain's fortunes increased, as she was sure they would under Juan's leadership, they could make larger donations later.

What was important was to set a precedent and to be seen to care about the poor and unfortunate. Esteban had the right idea, that it would be a gesture of goodwill and that they did not want anything in return. The petite blonde smiled smugly to herself. She had won this argument and perhaps when he reaped the rewards of his generosity, he would take her more seriously.

Now she would have to find other opportunities to raise Spain in the eyes of the English people. Sophia believed she had finally found her mission … to be the social representative of her husband's country. It was a lot less dangerous than spying and she thrived in social situations.

“We must get everyone's attention before you speak to Lady Mountjoy. No one will expect the Spanish Ambassador to step into the Queen's presence chamber, so that should be enough to get people to take notice of us and listen to what you have to say.”

She shrugged when he asked her what she needed to discuss with Lady Mountjoy. “I will play it by ear. I want to impress her so that she will speak well of me to the Queen. I am hoping that the two of us will have something in common, but if not, we can always talk about our homeland.” Her fork paused in midair. “You want me to become accepted in proper circles. Befriending the Queen will definitely help.”

Sophia was certainly not going to tell him about her investigation into the goings on at Bedlam. She didn't even know if that subject would come up tomorrow anyway. Perhaps she could casually ask if the Queen had decided to send somebody to look into it, but she couldn't seem too interested. Lady Mountjoy had told her to stay away from Bedlam and she needed to believe that Sophia intended to follow her advice.

It seemed that Sophia yielded in the end so that Esteban could feel as though he had won the argument. He nodded his gratitude that she did not carry on further.

When she revealed no plan in particular with the upcoming meeting, her husband gave her a look that suggested he had something to say. "My advice is to decide in advance wht you wish to raise, then practice the delivery. One does not get many opportunities to impress the Queen or her Mistress of the Robe. Do not leave to chance what you might say." Of course, he had no idea that she planned to discuss a topic she kept secret from him. "Let us think together of a topic. Mountjoy is a Saxon, rather than from the Palatinate. Perhaps you need to find a correspondent in your homeland so that you can bring the Queen news from home."

Both of them believed they had bested the other, which was perhaps a fortuitous situation in a marriage where both partners had such diverse personalities. One trait they did share was obstinacy. Esteban was determined to exert control over his wife and Sophia was equally determined not to let him. Maybe they would become more compatible over time. Perhaps he would learn to enjoy life more, and she would learn that there were times when one should take things seriously.

A look crossed his face that she could not remember seeing before. It was much like the expression her governess had worn when she had been about to suggest a certain course of action. She arched a platinum eyebrow as Esteban advised her to decide which topics she wanted to discuss with Lady Mountjoy and to practice how to bring them up. He seemed to genuinely care about her impressing the Queen. It was the first time she could recall him caring about anything good that she did.

Sophia was accustomed to improvisation, not to planning conversations in advance. How could she predict what Lady Mountjoy wished to talk about? What if she brought up a subject that was painful to the Queen's Mistress of the Robes? It was better to just answer the questions she was asked, and to ask similar questions in return.

Discussing politics, she imagined, took more planning. And politics was all Esteban knew, in his young wife's opinion. Still, his idea did have merit. He was also willing to help her come up with things to speak to Lady Mountjoy about, which was surprising in itself. Working together could only improve things between them. At least that was her hope.

“All I can tell her about the Palatinate now is what I observed when we visited my estate a few months ago. If you remember, no one came to visit while we were there. I lost touch with my German friends during the years I spent in Venice. We wrote for awhile, but after a year or so, the letters stopped coming as we grew up and pursued different interests. I saw some of them at my father's funeral but it was as if we were strangers. We no longer had anything in common.”

She sighed. “I asked the steward of my estate to keep in touch with me regarding my property. I could write him and ask him for news, but he is only a commoner and would know little of noble affairs. I suppose I could also write a couple of my former friends. One of them was betrothed to a Graf when I saw her at the funeral. That has been over a year ago, and she will be married by now.

“Tomorrow I can tell Lady Mountjoy about our trip to my estate. What other subjects do you think we should discuss?”

Yes, Esteban was trying to help his wife. It was not in his interest to see her fail in anything. If there was a partnership between them, he was the junior partner certainly; but then, that was the normal situation for women in the 17th Century.

"Si, tell her about our trip," he agreed. "We need to find a way to create a network of correspondents for you in the Empire." Before her eyes widened with the assignment, he added "it will take years to do this, but there is no time like the present to start." One of the challenges in keeping up correspondences was the amount of time necessary to pen a thoughtful letter. Finding the time to author a dozen letters could take days. Would Sophia ever have the patience to stay indoors for hours and hours maintaining correspondences? Only time would tell.

"See if we can learn from Lady Mountjoy what particular interests Karoline has. Perhaps we can find correspondents in that field." He had little idea whether she had a passion for any topic at all. Like his own wife, she was so young that it was doubtful that she had the time to develop a particular interest, though Sophia, in just 16 brief years seemed to have developed a wealth of interests. Yet, Sophia was an aberration in having such an inquisitive mind.

The idea of relying on her steward or mere acquaintance did not seem fruitful to the Baron. His facial expression seemed to dismiss that idea.

“I will try to find a way to bring it up. I brought a few nutcrackers back with me. Perhaps I should bring one along as a gift? That might prompt her to speak about our homeland."

Sophia had no idea where she would find people to correspond with in the Palatinate and he didn't seem to think her steward or an old friend was appropriate. Her eyes only widened when he said it would take years to create the network he wished her to use. “We need to find people who are influential, people whom the Queen is interested in. Do you know any Germans who are visiting for the season?”

Her head tilted to the side. “Perhaps I could speak to the Duke of Cumberland? Maybe he has some visitors or if I tell him that I am homesick, he might feel sorry for me and put me in touch with some ladies to exchange letters with.

“I never did thank him for the advice he gave me on the King's birthday, so I have a reason to contact him. He might also know what interests the Queen better than Lady Mountjoy. All I know at the moment is that she is involved in building an orphanage and an infirmary for the poor. I plan to volunteer to help tomorrow after you have made your donation. Through Her Majesty's charities, I might meet more ladies who are close to her.”

"I am not aware of any new Germans to court," Esteban admitted. "I think the Queen has a new German attendant, but I do not know whether she is here but temporarily." It was possible that she was just spending a season in England.

"You could ask Cumberland if you feel you know him well enough. Do not impose a burden upon him," he suggested. "He is likely asked regularly for favors. Use a light touch."

Sophia's ideas about volunteering for the Queen's charities made more sense now that he considered it further. It might build goodwill, and it might keep Sophia out of mischief. "The plan seems agreeable," he announced as the next course was delivered. Politics was forgotten in that moment as his attention turned to food.

OOC~ Ready to wrap up?

A new German attendant? How could that be when Sophia had been told you had to be either English or married to one to serve her? Maybe the woman Esteban spoke of was married to an Englishman. If so, then she was not visiting and might be a beneficial contact. If she was unmarried and planned to stay, them maybe the rules had changed.

By marrying a Spaniard and becoming an Ambassador's wife, she was probably not eligible, but if it had been possible a year ago, she might have made different choices. And what would have happened then? She would have still met Don Juan … she was positive that their paths had been destined to cross … and she would have become his lover right under the nose of the Queen. She could have been banished from court if Her Majesty had found out.

Nor was she sure she had the temperament to be a lady-in-waiting. She wanted to be known as a proper and respectable young woman, but her heart yearned for the libertine lifestyle. Sophia tried to suppress those longings, but sometimes it was impossible, especially in the company of handsome gentlemen.

“I do not know him well at all.” she said of Cumberland. “Maybe I will be able to speak to him at one of the parties this season.” Sending a letter seemed a bit presumptuous considering that she had only spoken to him once. Maybe Lord Beverley could put in a good word for her, if he even remembered who she was. The last time they had conversed was at the King's birthday ball in May. Seven months had passed since then.

Esteban agreed to her plan about the charities and she noticed that he now seemed more interested in his meal. “Must I take Karl with me when I do charity work? He might scare the orphans or upset the poor, and I will be perfectly safe in the company of other ladies.”

Whether the German girl was an attendant or just a visitor placed in the care of the Queen, Esteban was not sure. However, one thing of which he was sure was that "Karl shall accompany you everywhere." He was firm about that. "You need protection at all times outside of this house." Left unsaid was that she needed watching as well.

Sophia managed to hide her disappointment at his insistence that Karl go with her whenever she left the house. He wasn't going to budge on that point. She had hoped he would agree that she didn't need protection while visiting charities so she could use charity work as an excuse to get away alone on Wednesday to meet Lord Arundel. It seemed that everything was working against her as far as the handsome Earl was concerned.

Either she would have to be clever or she would not be able to go to him at all. She was still not completely sure she wanted to go through with it. Whenever she thought of that lovely excursion they had shared earlier in the day … the sleigh ride, the ice-skating, those wonderfully tantalizing kisses … she longed to be back in his arms. Yet then an image of Juan would insinuate itself in her mind, and the notion of betraying him sickened her. Sophia was utterly in love with her Prince, but he was not here to satisfy her desires. She was young and passionate and needed much more than Esteban was willing to give.

“I understand,” she replied with a little smile. “I will not disobey you.” Unless I can get away with it. There was nothing else she wished to discuss with him, so she picked up her fork and dug into the next course.

~finis?~

Esteban was glad that the matter was settled. Not only did he fear French provocations against her; but, he harbored a desire to keep her from infidelities. Juan had warned him to service the girl periodically to keep her from wandering; but, Esteban preferred his sire to sire a child on his wife. Perhaps once that was done, or Juan lost interest in her, his attitude would change.

As for Sophia, any trysts she might attempt this season were going to be difficult. She could either stay true, or did deep in the mine of creativity to find an opening. It would be a risky venture for sure; but, sometimes, risks only heightened the allure.

~finis

Archived