JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Lord Cavendish | 27th December- Xmas 1677

James Winchester

A note accompanied a jar of herbs and a bottle of syrup.

Lord William Cavendish

17 Piccadilly

My Lord,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your kinsmen, however briefly, at Church yesterday. Please accept my apologies for any undue attention, as a physician it is my calling to help those that I may.

Please find enclosed a jar of herbal Tea, which will help soothe a dry cough, and a bottle of Syrop which will aid in the loosening of a chesty cough and the expulsion of the accumulated phelgm. I would recommend using the syrup, which will cause a clearing bout of coughing, followed by the tea, which will soothe it. Afterwards the patient should breath much more easily.

Should you and he wish, I would be happy to discretely interview your father and assess his condition with a view to a more specific treatment.

Yours Sincerely

Sir James, Doctor Winchester

Baron Wentwood

The jar was labelled 'To Soothe a Dry Cough' and contained dried Liquorice Root, Lemon Peel and Sage, all of which were soothing and the sage a disinfectant. The label bore instructions to steep for five minutes and serve with a spoonful of honey.

The bottle was labelled 'To Expel Phelgm' and contained a thick Syrup made with Ginger, Thyme and Black Pepper, which encouraged the opening of the airways and a stronger cough to clear them.

Along with the letter was a doctor's prescription, which might be given to an Apothecary if the Cavendishes desired any more of either medication to be compounded for them.

• 4 months later...

Reply received the 28th

Lord Wentwood,

Thank you for your kindness. While my father has assured me repeatedly that he is fine, at his age, one must take measures to overcome an old man's stubbornness. Please accept my invitation for the two of us to call on him imminent, ostensibly to view his library, of which he is proud.

Yours Truly,

William Cavendish

Lord Cavendish

• 4 months later...

Reply arrives 30th.

Lord Cavendish,

It is my pleasure. All should have good health and care, and I know that with his family around him your Lord father abounds in the latter.

If it pleases you, I shall attend tomorrow afternoon at tea time. It would be a pleasure and a privilege to view your father's library, of which I have heard much. I shall conveniently have my bags in my carriage, and this shall give me time to visit the Apothecary before hand.

Yours in Service

Sir James, Doctor Winchester

Baron Wentwood

• 2 weeks later...

Archived