JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

On Catholics and their damnable consciences

Defiance

(the day after arriving home from Brighton)

Dressed in more regal mourning attire, a mix of black and dark purple, His Majesty and the Duke of York were having a conversation in York's quarters, attended by John Churchill.

"What do you mean he confessed to FitzJames?" Charles asked, with a huff. "Could he not wait until after this sitting of Parliament?" The King paced. York was standing still by the mantle, arms crossed, a confused and petulant look on his face. "You Catholics and your damnable consciences! Is that not what you have your priests and your confessions and your repentance for?"

The King tapped his foot and hummed just slightly, annoyed. This could not be at a politically worse time. Catholics murdering anyone or doing anything, especially Catholic lords who had been imprudently vocal in the house, was precisely what the mob did not need to hear about right now.

"Who knows what the people shall turn this into!" The King added.

"Do not act like it is my fault, Charles," James protested, feeling like he was getting yelled at. Then he also quickly added, "Nor Captain Churchill's for being the messenger of it all." James was even more protective of his servants than his brother.

"I did not say it was your fault." James was horridly obtuse. It was something, as a brother, and a King, that was hard to deal with for Charles.

"I am not some puppeteer of my fellow Catholics." James protested more.

"Well, James, I really do not need everything to do with Catholics to filter through you. It only adds fuel to the conspiracy. For instance, what if Captain Churchill was an utter rogue and went blabbing that FitzJames needs to clear arresting a Catholic with you first? For what reason might they invent?"

"Well he is not a rogue," James pointed out as if it was clear as day. He did not get the point.

"I work for toleration, tooth and nail, I scrape, to protect the throne you might very well sit on and those of other faiths who have aided me; and, it would be convenient if those I wish to protect, do not make matters even worse!"

There was something of a strange, stubborn nature in most Catholics, Charles noted as he licked his lips.

"Tell them to keep the entire matter silent until after the sitting of Parliament," Charles said to Churchill. Poor Churchill. If any of this blew up, it would be his position and all his promise and all of those there-connected. The Mob was not a force to be trifled with right now in matters of Papists.

"As Your Majesty wishes," Churchill said with a deep bow.

The King would see what damage control could be done when there was less dire circumstances in policy.

Archived