JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Jane's Reports [pls do not archive]

I intent this thread to be a series of reports Jane sends to Williamson through her contacts. I might play that out on occasion but will put the letter here for reference.

20th of March

There is talk that the Spanish Court favours an Austrian candidate for the English throne, which of course is not surprising as there is no Spanish Candidate left. Naturally they do not favour the French candidate Mss De Chartre, who incidentally Lord Aylesford is accompanying in ten days or so.

The Ambassador is waiting for word from Madrid but the diplomatic patch is late. He seems frustrated by his inability to act.

He is aware of French money paid to the King by way of Dover and has a decided upon relieving them of this money, so that he can turn it into good use as money offered to the King by the Spanish. I have not have to tell you this would mean the French being forced to arrange the payment anew. A clever ploy to benefit the Royal Coffers, getting paid twice. Whether the theft of a wagon takes place, nor how and when, I cannot yet tell you.

Bristol was very upset with the arrangements I was forced to make, setting up house with Senor Ronquillo. To make matters believable, for the old fox sensed something, I have allowed him to think I serve the Spanish Crown. I request that Bristol is encouraged in this belief.

Your ever loyal servant.

• 3 weeks later...

Jane pondered if perhaps it was a little too early for another report, however she had what she thought to be time sensitive information. No doubt the French would be frantic by now and accusing English government of what not. Realizing the danger of Pedro finding out about her placement by the English spymaster far too soon, but deciding she needed to risk it, she took great care in formulating a small missive.

She still withheld some details, because she was not sure how it fitted into the bigger picture. The handsome operative by name of Diego for instance, or what precisely was done at Leeds. Was it the place the gold was captured? In that case it was not vital, and if it was something else she'd look foolish mentioning it in the wrong context.

21st of March

Ronquillo is in high spirits. He has managed to secure the French gold by use of English bandits after they previously escaped the Spanish Agents. It is my understanding this happened by the French betraying themselves to a farmer by way of using their native tongue.

The money currently is guarded somewhere in London. I believe I can identify the man, a banker, by face. Should I learn his name I shall send you this in my next rapport. What Ronquillo will do with the money and if an offering will be made to the King I cannot yet determine with certainty.

I believe the Ambassador has not entrusted many people with the full story and motive of this plot and remains convinced the English government remains unaware of this coup against the French. I hope I may yet prove useful to you in other instances and know that you will be discreet with handling this information so that it does not lead back to its source.

Your ever loyal servant.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1st of April

Diego Estrada is an operative of Ronquillo. At church I heard Ronquillo give Estrada the order to "do it then." I later observed Estrada on business in the East End on Monday, but was almost exposed. I believe I am as of yet not compromised, but feel the need to warn you this might be so in case I disappear.

I offer apologies to the damage done to His Majesty's sommelier's shop during this escapade and trust it will not inconvenience anybody.

Monsignor Ignatius Berterelli, the Papal Legate, has arrived in London, by his own words with orders from the Holy Seat. I had the impression that he has business with Ronquillo later this week.

Your Ever Loyal Servant

• 1 month later...
4th of April

Monsignor Ignatius Berterelli, the Papal Legate, is missing, as you well may know. One of his staffmembers, a priest, was found dead. Ronquillo knew not what was afoot but speculated it would be crazed Protestant, as well as the legate is likely still alive. The entire Catholic community is abuzz with the news during the Good Friday mass, causing great fear and excitement.

Incidentally, I have found an increase in the number of dark clad men from the Iberian Peninsula in London, though it might merely be my imagination or paranoia. If I go missing you will know which dark clad man has become my nemesis.

The father of Ronquillo's mistress, the earl of Hardy, has arrived in London. His mistress frets over this as he has not yet learned of the status of her relationship with the Spanish Ambassador and is not likely to respond positively. Ronquillo has set watch on Hardy.

Meanwhile Ronquillo has information that there may be an attempt to harm the Archduchess of Austria, perhaps trying to frighten her and run off before a final bride selection is made. Surely this is the sign that someone at court sees her as a great contender. As one of the hosts to the Austrian delegation Ronquillo has seen to her protection. The Spanish Ambassador naturally suspects the French behind this all.

I have heard the rumour that Lord Basildon is currently playing match maker for his cousin by marriage Heneage Jr though I know not if this may be of interest to you. An ambitious man, Basildon, who does not easily tie down to a single faction, though at current he seems to favour the French and perhaps Savoy, quoting strategical advantage for the King for such a match. He is convinced his own machinations will have some influence, though you will not catch his glib tongue saying so.

Your ever loyal servant.

• 1 month later...
6th of April,

Milord,

Forgive my hasty report. Some issues of a more personal nature have risen. It may be pertinent to a lady of our acquaintance to marry swiftly with a man who shall not hinder her mission in any way or form, to throw off the scent. Some men are known to be pleased with a lady who will look the other way, if they will do likewise. If you know of such a man, or if you wish to discuss the matter, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Your Loyal Servant

• 2 months later...

Jane discreetly hired a courier to bring this to her employer without delay:

9th of April

Milord,

I humbly submit the meagre results of the inspection you requested.

The banker met a German gentleman, who has taken up residence in the East Room on the second floor of the Red Lion Inn and will depart tomorrow. He was a heavy set man, wearing grey clothing. They met in the common room over beers. It was impossible to overhear their conversation. After about an hour the meeting was withdrawn upstairs, where some kind of agreement was put to paper. Wine was called for to celebrate. The waitress of the Red Lion Inn was very obliging and will try and learn more as time continues. I will contact her tomorrow.

Perhaps though before the gentleman departs a search of his belongings can be conducted?

Your Ever Loyal Servant

PS. 1. The lady of our mutual acquaintance has elected to entertain an offer of a gentleman for her hand in marriage by the name of H.F.

PS. 2. Should somebody inquire after Lady Prudence please know her to live at her cousin's house, Anne Spencer.

• 4 months later...

14th of April

Milord,

Upon my last report I can add that the names of the Germans were Mr Schwartz and Mr. Weiss., who were meeting with mr. Barclay who does his banking business on the Strand. Shortly thereafter the Germans are said to have travelled to the docks, one presumes to depart England.

A coded letter to the Spanish Ambassador contained the following message which seems related: "Gold placed with German. I kept 50%. In name of Fairchild. Flint and Steel code."

Further know that Signor Ronquillo keeps 30,000 pesos in the bank of mr Benson of Hoare & Co, which I presume is also known as Higgens & Hoare's.

Upon some worry a letter in Spanish warned the Ambassador there was a spy in their midst. It did not indicate me, but I know Diego is suspicious of me. He keeps vigilant watch. I do not know how long I shall remain of use to you.

Ronquillo has gained a serious back injury due to wanting to play a young man with his mistress last Friday during a coachride. His overuse of laudanum, no doubt encouraged by her, has caused a small incident of overuse today in which a doctor was called. I presume he shall be out of commission for a few days, though no doubt his staff will cover this up.

You might also have learned that he now has his daughter and a niece living with him, and he seeks to marry off the niece, who was involved in some scandal back in Spain wanting to elope. It might provide opportunity to introduce an agent.

Your Ever Loyal Servant

• 1 year later...

Putting down her quill the blond worried that it was all together too light. Yet the smallest delight might be of importance to her employer, even if she was the tenth contact to report on it.

Jane went to the jeweller herself to dispose of this letter, eager to know if her there was a box of jewellery she had ordered.

20th of May, London.

My Lord,

It appears that steadfast loyal Catholic lords have been approached by a Cult of sorts, The Order of Saint Joseph, no doubt priests of Rome, enticing these very same lords to action through fearmongering, stating they must strike back. Lord Hardy might be among those targeted by the Order to participate. Upon the next secret meeting of this Order my contact has promised to alert me so that I might learn more by observing them.

Ronquillo still has the gold in his possession, using it to fund covert operations. His relationship with his mistress is still intact, though they now meet in the greatest secrecy. He has promised her to send his daughter home. As regards to the position of Estrada, more news shall follow soon. He is said to have laid a trap to find the traitor.

Your Ever Loyal Servant

• 3 months later...

There were some small inconsequential reports over summer, then early September the following note arrived per the usual way:

My Lord,

Today I write to you in defeat. My usefulness to you has evaporated this summer. I must hand in my resignation now that it has come to a final blow with Ronquillo. I shall not be able to provide you with more information, safe this: it seems that the French government, some say with direct interference of le Roi, paid a sum of 50,000 livres to Ralph Montague in order for him to reveal to Shaftesbury that Lord Danby was the author of the Dover Treaty in name of the King, including details of said treaty. A secret no longer.

Further, I fear Estrade managed to find out things of a personal nature about the mistress of Ronquillo, betraying them to the Ambassador in order to forge a wig between them. There was a big fall out.

With regreat, I remain,

Your Ever Loyal Servant

Archived