JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Own a Piece of Windsor! | Mid Afternoon, Saturday

Sobriety

Abernathy's Auction House dealt in a variety of items, mostly associated with liquidating items of inheritance and repossessions and foreclosures for the authorities. Sometimes a son inherited his father's collection of antique jugs and didn't know what to do with them; sometimes someone failed to pay their taxes and dues on their property, often because they were deceased with no obvious heir. The latter was the case with today's offerings. Not one but two dwellings in the crowded and terribly desirable township of Windsor. Who wouldn't want to own a piece of highly desirable real estate? Never fret over trying to rent a property when court is at Windsor! Or rent it out yourself during that time live off the income! The opportunities were endless!

Arnold Abernathy was quite excited by the afternoon's prospects. With court in session surely some nobility might be interested in procuring their own place in Windsor, which would hopefully boost the price since nobles were usually wealthy. They would of course be competing with the local merchant class who knew an opportunity when they saw one.

Sketchings of the two properties were placed on easels to either side of the central podium, with room for people to look at them. One was a stone cottage with a thatched roof, set within a garden which had, perhaps, been improved somewhat by the artist. It wasn't a large cottage but, judging by the background, it wasn't too far outside the town walls. The second was a townhouse in an obvious row of them, and the sketch showed two levels above ground and a basement window indicating a level below. Windsor castle itself was clearly shown in the background, indicating that the townhouse was quite close to it. Those who were truly interested in such things might well have viewed the properties personally the previous day, but regardless there was unlikely to be anything truly surprising about them. 

Central to the room were a series of neat chairs for those who desired such things, and a couple of staff circulated, offering small beer, ale and cheap wine. 

Having been prompted by his valet to go out and get some air, a navy blue and gray-attired Lord Grey arrived at Abernathy's Auction House. The crafty manservant had suggested to his employer that a Windsor property would be a good place to make his astronomical observations. With that in mind, Henry entered the place, and walked directly towards the easels. The stone cottage seemed to be located outside the town itself, which would be an advantage when using using telescopes. The townhouse was a better building, with two levels plus a basement, but would be more expensive, the Baron was certain. Sadly, Henry had not known that the properties were viewable beforehand.

After examining the sketches, the blu-and-gray dressed man walked towards the chairs, opting for one in the first row. In passing he accepted a mug of ale, to pass the time until the auction started.

Arnold Abernathy smiled a little to himself as the room slowly began to fill. Several merchants and influential businessmen had come to see the properties sold - and perhaps to buy them - and even a few of the nobility had drifted in. A finely dressed fellow in blue and grey who settled himself into the front row looked to be of that calibre, if he was any judge. And he didn't think he'd seen the man at the viewings. Well and good. With any luck he'd timed things perfectly. 

He'd allow a little more time to see whether they'd attract any further interest. In the meantime Abernathy wandered over to the gentleman in the front row. 

"Good afternoon milord." He said with a polite bow. "It's a pleasure to have you with us. Interested in the townhouse perhaps?" He asked, assuming that was what had drawn Henry's attention. 

Edited by Sobriety

Henry had settled into his chosen chair contentedly. He knew that he was overdressed for the auction, as it was not a court function, but his valet had insisted he looked Baronial. In the end, Lord Grey had relented. If prices were inflated beyond what he was willing to pay, he would simply stop bidding. His many years as a second son with a not so generous allowance made him thrifty.

A man approached. He did not look the part of a nobleman, or even gentry. One of the auction's organizers, more likely. "Good afternoon", Lord Grey responded with a friendly nod. "I am not sure. It all depends..." on the price. "The cottage might be a better fit for my needs, though I am not sure. What can you tell me about the properties?" Making the auctioneer talk would help Henry ascertain the value of the properties. The more flowery the language, the worst the state of the place, the Baron was sure.

"Certainly." The auctioneer replied warmly. "Arnold Abernathy, at your service." He added with a flourishing bow. Every auctioneer was a showman.

It was interesting to hear that the man thought the cottage might better suit his needs. He might well be right. "Ah the cottage, you have a keen eye milord. Stone built, two rooms below and a loft, which the previous owner used as her bedroom. Large hearth in the main room, stone floor, shutters. The thatch is in need of replacement," as were some of the stones in the walls where the mortar was loose "but perhaps that will not be relevant to you?" He suggested, giving Henry a thoughtful look. "The cottage itself is quite modest and, frankly, in need of work, but of considerable interest because it stands on a full rood* of land." Which was a considerable amount of real estate in the outskirts of Windsor.

Then there was the townhouse. "The other property is quite the contrast." Abernathy said, indicating the sketch of the townhouse. "A sitting room, kitchen and modest parlor or dining room on the ground floor, with a cellar below and washup out the back. Two bedrooms and airing cupboards on the upper level, and an attic for the servants. Glass windows throughout. Very neat, very self contained and very close to the castle." He enthused. "In need of a little refreshment perhaps, I'm afraid the previous owners neglected it these last few years, but that just gives one a chance to have it done up to one's own tastes!"

* a quarter acre

• 3 weeks later...

Henry listened attentively, frowning whenever Mister Abernathy spoke about an item that needed fixing or had been neglected. making a mental note of all of them. "Perhaps I should have seen the properties myself. The artist may have taken too much artistic leave..." he said referring to the sketchings. "Not any fault of your own, of course, but artists tend to be... rather liberal... in their interpretation of reality". There was no need to antagonize the auctioneer. "I have my doubts..."

If he seemed too eager, prices would go up needlessly, which would make Lord Grey would not forgive himself.

"What can you tell me about the seller and the previous owners?" They were not necessarily the same person. "Why are they parting with the properties?"

The auctioneer would not dare lie to a peer of the realm, the Baron thought. He would embellish his descriptions, it was part of his job, but he would not lie. The cottage was in need of repair, and the townhouse needed a makeover. But the price could be driven either up, or down, depending on the identity of the previous owner.

Abernathy smiled ingratiatingly. "The illustrations are of course available simply to aid the memory and concentrate the mind. I assure your lordship that I have described them accurately." If the fellow in question hadn't taken the time to view the properties then that was his own problem but really the cottage was of interest for it's land and the townhouse for it's proximity to the castle.

What could he say about the previous owners? "The seller is the crown. Both properties dues are in arrears." It was not an uncommon situation for an auction. "As for the previous owners, I can't tell you much. The cottage was owned by an old lady for nearly twenty years. She died and apparently left no heir, nor a will." The man shrugged. 

"The townhouse was owned by a local businessman who I understand fell on hard times, and then disappeared. Perhaps to the continent to escape his creditors, but the truth is not known. The crown cares only to recoup what it is owed, and the rest is to your benefit!" 

The auctioneer glanced around the room for a moment; the flow of people in through the door seemed to have slowed. He would start the bidding soon. 

As the crowd in the room began to thicken and a few people began to take their seats, a short figure in black, rather plain but incongruously well tailored, slipped in. Ash blonde curls were caught back in a queue by a black, velvet ribbon and he sported a rather natty blonde moustache and goatee. Beyond that his only ornamentation was a jet cravat pin, set in silver and carved into the shape of a cross. He looked almost puritan. 

He wandered over the length of the room and paused in front of the image of the townhouse.

"I am certain you have. I am certain you have". It was not a fight Henry was looking for. It was an astronomical sanctuary... if the price was right.

"A question... if an heir or a will were to appear, would the paperwork resulting from this auction still hold? I would not want to be tied down in litigation". A prudent question. One never knew. He surmised it would, since the Crown was involved, but it was always good to ask.

"What is the base price on the properties?" A question Henry should have asked from the start. He did not want to lose Mr. Abernathy's time, nor his own.

It was then that Lord Grey noticed a short man in black, with ash blonde curls tied in a queue, a blonde moustache and a goatee pausing  in front of the image of the townhouse. The clothes, although unremarkable, were of fine make. A merchant? A peer? Gentry? Henry was curious.

Nobles with their air of superiority could be tiresome for the honest businessman, but they could also be very profitable. And so Abernathy nodded politely at Henry's words. 

The enquiry about an heir was legitimate. "The properties are in default and thus now belong to the crown which can dispose of them as deemed appropriate; all any suddenly appearing heir could legally claim is a debt." He assured the man. Ample time had been permitted for the dues to be paid, and they had not been. By the enquiry he assumed that the fellow was interested in the cottage, since there was no conclusive evidence that the previous owner of the townhouse was actually dead. Mind you, there was no evidence he was alive either. 

At the question about a base price, Abernathy gave a slightly puzzled look. "I'm not sure what you mean by that, my Lord. Any item, including a house, is worth what people are willing to pay for it." He pointed out, gesturing to the now fairly full room. "I assure you that, with court in season, Windsor properties are currently very attractive." 

But the fellow here wasn't the only one starting to look impatient. "If you will excuse me." Abernathy bid Henry farewell. Time to get things started.