JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Beneath the Stars | Late Evening, Friday 23rd September 1678

The Octagonal tower was further from the castle's centre than the round tower and somehow that made this stargazing evening feel more secluded, and more intimate, than the previous one. That, and it was to be only the four of them. Mary saw Eleanor to the top of course, having dressed her charge warmly in her lavender evening gown with a fine, woolen shawl about her shoulders, but once Uncle Henry was there she would be more than adequately chaperoned, and Mary might retire for the night. Eleanor's room was only on the floor below. For the first time this season it would only be a short walk, not a long climb, back to her room. 

Glad that the wind had died down once the sun disappeared, Eleanor turned her gaze to the stars, hoping that she had done them justice in her embellishments of Henry's outfit. He was deserving of them as a theme. Her Uncle's study of them was deeply scientific of course, but the stars were also the subject of admiration, whim and wishes throughout the history of humanity. 

What might she wish for, she wondered. 

• 2 weeks later...

Henry had acted quickly once he had left the yacht races. He had hurried to The White and placed a last-minute order of finger foods, stating that any Italian items in the selection would earn a premium. He then had visited the Celestial Patisserie, where he had been given a look of disgust when he had suggested the same. French pastries would have to do, it seemed. Torches and braziers he would leave to his servants to arrange. He then hurried home to change, and to leave instructions for master Tom to follow the next morning. Lord Grey was sure he would be sleeping late the next day. Late for him, that was, which meant not to long after sunrise.

Lord Grey had changed into his dark plum brocade ensemble contrasted with a light gray silk waistcoat. His shoes and walking stick had gotten a good cleaning and polish from his valet, and he wore his favourite piece of jewellery on his chest, a pendant made from unicorn horn. Behind him, half a dozen servants finished climbing the stairs and began to set everything up.

As he noticed Eleanore, Henry smiled. "Eleanore, my dear, it gladdens my heart to see you again. Hopefully the day's events did not tire you overmuch?"

"Uncle Henry." Eleanor greeted him warmly as he turned, her ever present chaperone Mary fading into the shadows now that Henry's presence was confirmed. "Did you miss me?" She asked coyly, thinking that they had only seen one another that afternoon, and growing more comfortable in his presence. Admittedly, they had not had a chance to speak alone in a couple of days. "It is good to see you too. And my, don't you look fine!" She stepped forward to fluff the lace of his cravat. "One might almost think that our staff are conspiring." She suggested; the lavender of her dress complemented the deeper plum of his suit. 

At his enquiry she shook her head lightly, brunette curls waving back and forth. "I had a rest after the races." She said, if one counted sitting and sewing as resting. Stepping back, Eleanor's gaze took in Henry's preparations. "You have been busy. Forgive me, I should have offered to assist." She acknowledged, a little chargrinned. Officially it had been his suggestion, but Eleanor had certainly been putting that wish out into the world. 

It seemed that the two had a few moments alone before the Italians arrived. "Thank you for the effort you have gone to." She said quietly. "When the Principessa confided her wish that she had not missed your earlier viewing night, I had hoped you might be willing to stage a repeat." She admitted, a little shyly. "She seemed to enjoy your company." Eleanor added, not wanting to be abrupt and ask outright what Henry thought of her. Eleanor thought she was wonderful, but she acknowledged that didn't necessarily make her a perfect match for her Uncle. 

"Even the moon pales in comparison to you, my dear", Henry replied gallantly. "Of course I missed you. How could it be otherwise?" The baron replied in mock shock. "You are such agreeable company", he added, "and such great help". It was meant as a real compliment. As she ruffled his cravat, Lord Grey lifted his chin to make her job easier. "As I said, such great help", he said under his breath.

"Do you think so?" He asked at her comment about their staffs conspiring. The Baron would not put it beneath Reginald, his valet. I will plainly ask him. He is usually truthful with me.

"It was best that you took the time to rest, my dear. Besides, that is what servants are for. You would not like to leave them without a job, would you?" He teased. "But if you care to play hostess, feel free to give everything the last touches. Everything can benefit from feminine sensibilities..." Except my instruments. I do not want frilly pink laces on them!

"You did well, my dear", Henry said referring to her part in making the event happen. "It showed your impeccable upbringing. You make your parents proud". The Baron's face showed that he was proud of her too. "As you know, I am a bit... focused... sometimes. That you help me see what should be obvious is of great help to me". Then the Principessa was mentioned. "And I enjoyed hers very much". Lord Grey said with a smile. "The Gonzagas are a very old family, from the fourteenth century, if I remember correctly. The d'Estes date from the eleventh century, just like the Greys. Their friendship is very much worth cultivating".

Henry left his personal thoughts about Maria unvoiced, just as he left his questions regarding Eleanore and Césare unvoiced. Although they were family, they had just started to know each other. Time would need to pass before they were familiar enough with each other to be able to discuss such things freely.

Eleanor flushed prettily and looked down with a little giggle, fanning herself at Henry's flowery compliments. "You are far too kind, you shall have me all flustered." She murmured ruefully, a little embarrassed that his words did mean so much to her. This court season was her first real outing into society and Henry's approval and appreciation were a balm to her nerves and a boost to her confidence, she held him in such esteem. Plus he was a fine man, he even had a fine chin as she fluffed out his cravat to it's best display; together with his intellect and earnest manner, how could anyone not like him? Eleanor silently thanked her mother for her wisdom once more. 

Did she really think their staff would conspire? Eleanor shrugged her slim shoulders. "Or perhaps we have similar tastes in colours." She allowed, though she was fairly certain that Reginald at least knew she had this dress. It was certainly convenient. "But then I already know you have excellent taste." She dimpled at him, before glancing around at his invitation, eyeing the preparations critically. There were the telescopes, which she would not dream of touching. They had braziers for warmth, food to eat, and... "Do you think we might be able to have some mulled wine or cider brought up?" She asked, thinking that a warming drink would be just the thing to keep everyone comfortable in the cool of the night. 

A shy little smile graced Eleanor's lips when Henry told her outright that she had done well. His words of affirmation meant the world to her; she was trying very hard to be the young woman she'd been brought up to be. "Thank you, Uncle Henry. I am trying," she admitted, in a moment of youthful candor, "to make you all proud." She looked up at him, her blue eyes wide. "Thank you for your support, and your confidence in me." She said earnestly. In the complicated and sometimes confusing arena of court, Henry was her safe place. He provided the structure and guidance that she needed. 

"Thank you too for being open to my suggestion." She added, on the subject of meeting the Gonzagas, pleased that Henry felt they were definitely worth meeting and cultivating, and also that he had found Maria's company as enjoyable as Eleanor had. He didn't comment further and she didn't ask, that he both approved and enjoyed the interaction was enough. "And I am pleased to help you, as you help me. That is what family is for." She assured him with a smile, repeating words her mother had often told her, resisting the urge to reach out again to straighten his coat in a gesture of affection. She did not want to seem fussy.  She knew that they both had their strengths, and should play to them, to benefit themselves and each other. "After all, not every Lord at court has such access to and knowledge of the heavens." She reminded him. Here his academic achievements were proving a social stepping stone, twice in one season!

• 2 weeks later...

"What is family for, dear Eleanore, if not for singing each other's praises and, dare I say, form a common front against everything and everyone?" Her ruffling of his cravat reminded Henry that he should find a wife to do that for him. Next season. I need to focus on it next season. His study of the heavens would suffer, sadly, but it was a responsibility to the name of Grey he could not neglect.

"Or perhaps we have similar tastes in colours", he agreed. Even if their staffs had been in communication, they were just doing their job, and doing it well. "Whatever it is, it suits us, does it not?" The Baron was in a good mood. "And you have impeccable taste too, my dear". A compliment deserved another.

"As for beverages", Lord Grey answered to her question, "they will be brought up. Warm cider, mulled wine, and brandy. That should cover a range of tastes. And if our guests would like something Italian, I was able to convince The White to part with a bottle of wine made from Sangiovese grapes in the lands of the Ricasoli family near Gaiole, in Tuscany". A mischievous smile. "It cost a pretty penny, but silvers does wonders when you need to convince a merchant..." And sometimes you just have to spend the silver, even when you would prefer not to.

"There are far greater students of the night sky than I, my dear. But you are correct. Very few have the added duty of being a peer of the realm. Lord Kingston and His Grace Buckingham are noteworthy exceptions, though". They were. Both men had acute intellects and, though their interests were not focused on the moon and the stars, they knew much more about them than many a university student.

"Would you like to sample the dainties?"

"It does indeed suit us." Eleanor agreed with a smile, happy that they appeared dressed to match. Even her necklace and earrings with the single pearls and enameled violets followed the theme, though they were nowhere near as grand as Henry's embellishments. She was proud of how elegant her Uncle looked. 

Lord Grey explained that warmed beverages and brandy were already on their way. "Then I do believe you have thought of everything." She said happily. That he was taking such care spoke of his esteem for their new acquaintances; even acquiring an expensive bottle of Italian wine! "I have no doubt that they shall appreciate your thoughtfulness." She enthused. This evening was going to be perfect! Family, friends, fine food and the stars; what more could they want? It would be magical. 

That Eleanor was very proud of Henry's intellectual achievements went without saying. "Well, it is the place of Peers to champion what the realm needs, is it not? And surely learning and enlightenment are important to advancing society." After all, they were now sailing to places that had once been nothing more than myth and legend. Maybe one day they would sail to the stars. And there was the name of Lord Kingston again. She had met the man only very briefly. "Has Lord Kingston a university education as well?" She asked, curious. If he was both intelligent and had an excellent patron in Buckingham then no wonder he was such a rising star at court. Perhaps she would have the chance to speak with him again. 

Henry asked if she wanted to try some of the food he'd ordered. "Is there something you would recommend?" She asked, not wanting to over-eat but tempted by the thought that there might be some exquisite delicacy that she would regret not trying. "I was actually wondering whether you might be willing to describe how the telescope works?" She asked. "Whether now or for our guests as well." They seemed like magic to her, but Eleanor knew that they must be Science and thus there must surely be an explanation. 

"When you play the host, or hostess in your case, the minutest of details are the ones that tell your guests that they are esteemed. No one would have blamed us if we had offered a Gasçon claret, but having a Tuscan red makes a huge difference". Such things he had learned from a young age. Even though he had only the spare back then, he had attended all the lectures his older brother had received regarding social niceties. They had seemed unimportant to Henry back then, but they were proving to be extremely useful now that he was Lord Grey.

"It is the duty of peers to better the King's realms, yes. A duty I take seriously. I am glad we are not in London this season, because I have had time to look at the heavens, but whenever we find ourselves there, I will give the House of Lords all the time it requires". Thankfully, the King adjourned court so he could have a life... and so could his nobility.

"Lord Kingston is a very intelligent person. He is Cambridge's Chancellor. He was a student there until the last war started. He left to place his ships at the King's service. I think I have heard that he lost two of them. His cousin, His Grace Buckingham was also Cambridge's Chancellor. He was the one who appointed me Fellow". The extended Villiers family was full of noteworthy individuals.

Henry offered his arm to Eleanore, and walked towards the nearest tray. "I suggest you try these now. Toasted slices of bread topped with sturgeon roe from the Po River in northern Italy. They are an acquired taste, so it is better to find out if you like them or not before our guests arrive". Making a face at an Italian delicacy in front of their guests would be a faux-pas. "As for how telescopes work, well..." they moved to the nearest instrument, and proceeded to explain how the tube, mirrors, and lenses each had an important part to play in the viewing of the night skies.

A peal of bright laughter and a baritone chuckle heralded the arrival of the Italians. Unaccustomed to the English autumn, they were both wearing hooded fur-lined cloaks, Maria’s of light mulberry and Cesare’s of deep royal blue. Appearing at the top of the stairs, they marveled at the preparations that had been made. The telescopes looked both magnificent and wondrous, ready to reveal the secrets of the night sky. They had expected warm drinks but certainly not a feast, and with Italian delicacies, no less.

Their host and his niece were already at one of the telescopes.  "Well, we are a bit late," Maria whispered. They had been delayed by barrels that were blocking the road and they’d had to wait until they were loaded back on the cart they had fallen from. Theirs had not been the only coach affected and she blushed as she remembered the curses the drivers had hurled at the owner of the cart.

Buonasera amici”* Cesare presented a short bow to Lord Grey and a deeper one to Mistress Bayning. Glimpses of his brocade justacorps in varied shades of blue as well as his dark blue breeches could be seen beneath his cloak.

“I love your matching outfits,” Maria exclaimed, smiling at both of them. As this was not a formal occasion, she did not hold her hand up to be kissed.

*Good evening, friends.

Lord Kingston sounded more and more intriguing. Alas but that she'd only managed to exchange a few words with the man. Still, she'd had an introduction; she might speak with him again if the opportunity presented itself. 

Henry's advice about playing hostess reinforced things that her mother had taught Eleanor over the years, and the consistency gave her immense confidence that she was surrounded by those who not only cared for her, but cared about their standing and appearances as well.

Happily taking her Uncle's arm, Eleanor followed him to the tray of delicacies he wanted her to try; little toasts topped with sturgeon roe. She'd heard of it once but never tasted it; what a treat! Well, she had asked for Henry's recommendation, so on it she delicately took one of the little squares and popped it into her mouth. The taste was... intense. Rich, salty, strong. Almost like pickled eggs in a way, but with an unmistakable fishiness. Not unpleasant though, quite the opposite really. "I can see why it is served in small portions, but it is quite delicious." She decided at length, with a little smile for her Uncle. If it was a delicacy then it behooved a cultured person to appreciate it, and since she didn't dislike it she decided it was a taste she could definitely acquire. 

Taste test passed, Eleanor watched with keen interest as Henry named the parts of the telescope and explained further what was inside it, all the lenses and mirrors that together worked their magic to enable one to view a celestial body. No, not magic, science. She was intrigued. "How fascinating. And you build them, do you not? You make your own lenses?" One might suggest that was a craft better left to someone of the appropriate class, but clearly at this cutting edge there were few with sufficient expertise and the technology was constantly being improved. "It's probably a silly question, but if you were to turn it towards the ground, might you be able to see ants as though they were horses?" She asked. If it could make distant celestial bodies seem larger, what about closer, smaller bodies? Wouldn't it be fascinating to see an ant or a flower as though they were the size of a horse or a house?

There was no real time for further question however, as now-familiar voices called to them across the top of the tower. Cesare called out to them in Italian and Eleanor mused that perhaps she might see whether she could ask for an Italian tutor over the recess. Or one who could teach Latin. 

"Good evening Principessa, Signore d'Este!" Eleanor called out brightly, warmly, curtseying deeply to the pair with her hand on Henry's arm for support. "Thank you so much for joining us."

She smiled at Maria's compliment. "Oh thank you. You two look marvelous, and marvelously warm!" She enthused, thinking that the fur-lined cloaks looked very fine, if perhaps a tad too warm for autumn. In winter they would be magnificent. 

Edited by Eleanor Bayning

• 2 weeks later...

"I build my own instruments, yes. I used to do everything myself, but I am now training an apprentice. He has started polishing lenses after I ground them into shape. I am not sure how good he will become, but time will tell. The lenses in these instruments were all made by myself". Eleanore's question was acute in its very special way. "As for pointing them to the ground, they would not focus in their current configuration... the focal length would not be the right one, you see..."

Lord grey was about to explain what a focal length was when sounds came from the staircase.

"Buona sera!" Henry replied, bowing to Maria and Cesare in turn. "Honoured guests are never late. Indeed, clocks are set around the time of their arrival", he said gallantly. The Baron signaled the servants to cater to the newly-arrived guests. "As for our outfits, we were wondering if our servants have learned to coordinate their efforts on our behalf". Good servants were uncommon. If they could be bought and sold, great ones would be worth small fortunes.

Henry waited for the new arrivals to chose what they wanted to eat and drink before continuing. "Come, take a look. This telescope is pointed at the North Star. It is a celestial body all navigators are familiar with".

Mistress Bayning was so cheerful and well-mannered, completely unlike the young lady who had been present the last time Cesare had viewed the heavens through a telescope. She had a brightness of character that appealed to him and he imagined that she would be an outstanding wife. It was a pity that she wasn’t Catholic.

Lord Grey’s sentiment brought a grin to Maria’s pretty face. What a considerate gentleman he was! He knew just how to alleviate her guilt at the lateness of their arrival. “Thank you,” she said to Eleanor’s compliment. She opened her cloak so that her friend could see the fuchsia gown she wore beneath it.

“Good servants are hard to find,” Cesare remarked.

Maria nodded in agreement. Her eyes slid to the trays of Italian delicacies. The Baron was generous as well. He had even supplied sturgeon roe, one of her favorites.   It was much more expensive in England than it was in Italy. “You shouldn’t have gone to so much trouble on our behalf, though we do appreciate it,” she said.  Picking up one of the delicious morsels, she delicately bit into it.

Cesare partook of the refreshments as well. He was quite impressed with the wine that had been provided. Maybe Lord Grey had developed a taste for it when he visited Italy to buy glass.

Maria’s eyes lit up when Lord Grey suggested they look through the telescope that he and Mistress Bayning had been examining. Stepping up to the instrument, she peered into it, gasping in wonder at what she saw. “It’s beautiful! I feel like I can reach out and touch it!” After gazing at the star for a few minutes, she reluctantly stepped back.

Cesare smiled at Mistress Bayning. “Ladies first.”

Eleanor was fascinated to learn more about how Henry made his telescopes, and that he had indeed made the lenses for these ones himself. Clearly he held a great depth of knowledge and expertise, but then that was why he'd gone to university. She wondered quietly whether he sometimes resented the need to take his brother's place as Baron Grey. The glimpses he'd given her of university were of a whole new world. 

She wondered whether she might view small things up close if she used the telescope on them, but Henry explained that it would not focus, due to something called the focal length... that meant that her idea was not wrong in principle, but the application was more complex. Alas but his explanation was interrupted by the arrival of their guests. Except Eleanor could never be upset at seeing Maria, and Cesare seemed very pleasant company as well. 

Maria was such fun to be around, she even opened her delicious looking fur cloak so that Eleanor could coo over the rich fuchsia tones of her dress. "It suits you so well." She enthused. Maria's complexion, whilst perhaps not the most fashionable in England, allowed her to wear the richest of tones and Eleanor couldn't help envying her friend slightly. She adored the rich colours of flowers, how wonderful to be able to wear them. And that had to be an expensive dye. 

Henry's wisdom in his preparations was immediately made apparent, as Maria gravitated towards the sturgeon roe he'd had her try earlier. Her uncle definitely wasn't the clueless academic he sometimes made himself out to be. But then, he was a Grey. "We wanted you to feel at home." She said warmly, with a glance full of equal parts acknowledgement and admiration for Henry. 

Her uncle invited Maria to view the North Star through the telescope first. It's bright, cold point, marking the direction north, was familiar to most and important to navigators; somehow viewing something that they at least knew about made it all the more interesting. She glanced at Cesare, even as Maria stepped away from the telescope, thinking that as their guest he would view next, but he kindly urged her to take her turn. Eleanor dimpled at him and gave a shallow curtsey, then stepped forward to place her eye on the eyepiece. 

It was so bright! So clear and crystaline, like the dawn on a fair morning, after the rain. "So perfect." She breathed. "The Lord's light." She would have liked to keep looking, but would not monopolise the telescope, so after a moment she stepped away so that Cesare might have his turn, knowing that she would likely have opportunities in the future, if Uncle Henry were in the mood to humour her. Just as when she had seen the moon on Wednesday night, the view left her feeling a little breathless. It was like the stained glass windows in the royal chapel, except that no human hands had touched these wonders. They had come straight from God's.