JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A sad encounter | Saturday, mid-morning, the Toes

HENS TOES

Settled comfortably on the main street of the town of Windsor, High Street, the Hen's Toes is a neatly turned out establishment, clearly catering to a more well-mannered class of person than the local country folk. A Tudor facade gives way to a comfortable common room upon first entry, scattered with tables and chairs rather than the more rustic benches that might be found in the local tavern. A roaring hearth dominates the right side of the room, staving off the deep winter chill. A few comfortable chairs accompanied by small side tables offer best access to its warmth. Beside it, a flight of stairs leads up to the floors above, where the sparse but clean guest rooms are located. On the other side of the room, an inconspicuous doorway leads to a private dining room.

Duncan had reserved the private dining room the previous day, so that words between Sor Cedric and himself were not overheard. Some things were better known only but those who should know them, and no one else. Food had been set up on the table, as well as wine and whisky. It was nowhere near noon yet, and the Lowlander had not broken fast yet. Out of respect for the older Baronet, he had not touched food yet.

He was dressed in well-fitting black velvet breeches, waistcoat and justaucorps with burnt-silver thread detailing, white shirt, black silk cravat, and black leather shoes with burnt-silver buckles. A tricorn decorated in the same fashion and pattern as the suit rested on top of a nearby chair. The only pieces of jewellery that could be seen were the silver mourning ring, and huge, mazarin-cut white diamonds on his cravat and right hand. His shoulder-length hair had been tied back in a queue with a black silk ribbon, and his ebony walking stick rested on the same chair as the hat. His cup-hilt rapier hung from the left side of his waist, while a dirk finished the ensemble on the right side.

I pray this meeting goes well.

Edited by Duncan Melville

Cedric came down the stairs, dressed in a light tan velvet jacket with darrker earthen colored breeches.  A diamond blinked as his cravat pin as he approached, assisted lightly by an ornate mohogany cane.

"Duncan, there you are my boy.  You are looking hale ," he complimented.  Duncan had bouts of illness that made him pale and weak at times.  Once invited to sit, Cedric did so.  "The roads are terrible," he announced as he got himself comfortable.  "Produce vendors, farmers, travelers hoping to catch a royal sighting."  He sighed and placed his tricorn hat beside him.  "How are you faring?" 

As Sir Cedric addressed him, Duncan stood up respectfully and only sat again after the older man had done so himself. "Travel to an fro Windsor while Court is in session here is a minor nightmare, yes..." with his hand he pointed at the claret and the whisky, and would serve a glass of whatever Sir Cedric signalled was his preference and pass it on. He then served half a glass of wine for himself.

"I am doing much better, thank you, Sir Cedric..." a shadow passed over his face, remained there for a moment or two, but eventually left. "Ophelia's sickness and death almost did me in, to be truthful. Being powerless and unable to do anything that helped almost drove me mad. Then, when she died, the whole world fell on me. I have missed her so much, Sir Cedric. I try to keep myself busy, even if it is with menial correspondence but, at night, I fell so sad, and so alone..." Sir Cedric was one of the few people Duncan could open his heart to. Cat and Douglas had heard part of it, but there were things not even they should be privy to. There were things too dangerous to be known by more than two.

A sip of the wine. The Lowlander was trying to drink as little as possible. He had relied on the numbing effect of alcohol far too much in the previous weeks. When he spoke again, his voice had changed. It was barely more than a whisper, with heavy undertones of anger and pain in it.

"Doctors were unable to do anything. Women wise in the old ways could do nothing either. Yet, one of them said something to me, in private, that you need to know..." the Viscount drew a breath to strengthen himself for what he was about to confide. "She uttered one word, one word only. She said... poison".

Cedric opted for the wine. It was too early for the harder liquor.

"It is hard, I know," he sympathized with sad eyes and nod.  "It is a parent's worst duty, to bury a child.  So, I understand.  Sometimes it is only in God's hands." It was how people in the 17th Century could cope with fragile mortality.

It was the mention of the word poison that changed his expression from sadness to alarm.  "What do you mean?  What ... kind?"  He was finding it hard to find the words to ask whether it was a murder, suicide, or an accident.

Duncan fell silent. He had not considered that Sir Cedric's pain was a big as his own. The Baronet's words reflected it. "Sometimes all we can do is accept that God knows best", the Lowlander agreed. For someone as religious as he, it was a given. It had not dulled the pain one whit, though.

The possibility of Ophelia being poisoned was known to very few. The wise woman who had raised the possibility, Duncan's mother, and the Viscount himself. But Sir Cedric had the right to know, the Scotsman thought. "The worst kind, Sir Cedric. The one that is administered to others with the goal of doing them harm..." It needed to be said. "The woman who suggested it had no proof, but she said that her old mentor had once told her about a certain bog mushroom that caused the same symptoms Ophelia had. A large enough dose, she said, could get the humours so out of balance that the victim would die a lingering death... painless, at least, but inevitable".

To lower the tension of the moment, Duncan pulled a wing out of the roasted capon in the middle of the table and nibbled on it distractedly. He then added, "my mother may seem the quiet and harmless kind, but she was the wife of the Secretary of State for Scotland. She appears to know nothing of this, but is quietly looking for answers. If there are any to be found, I am confident she will find them. And if there is a culprit to blame, God forgive me, I will be judge, jury, and executioner". Those last words carried the sombre weight of death in them.

"Ophelia was a gentle soul," Cedric offered softly.  "She wished no one ill and none should have wished her harm."  He was shaking his head slowly as he was digesting the information.  "It makes no sense.  She was not important enough to target.  You had no enemies that would stoop to such evilness, do you?"  Unsaid was the fact that Doolittle determined that no one would commit suicide by eating mushrooms that would kill you slowly.  Typically, a person in despair would seek a swift end.

"I suppose that there is a chance that she might have eaten them by mistake."  He looked up at Duncan with that question in his eyes.  Though book-smart, did so young a girl have the wisdom to avoid the wrong type of mushroom?

Duncan's pledge to seek justice was met with a sterner look and a nod.  It would be expected that the Scotsman would avenge his wife.

"She was the best person I have ever known", Duncan agreed. "No one would do harm to her unless they wanted to get to me. But I have not done anyone any evil that it would prompt such a revenge, at least not that comes to mind. Still, my mother will keep eyes and ears open, just in case. I have a daughter to think of". It was both easier and harder to protect a child.

"I have never seen the mushroom in question, so I do not know. If it was an ugly thing it would be unlikely. If it was more common-looking it is a possibility". The unknowns have weighed heavily on the Lowlander. "I will keep you appraised of the situation. No one else in England knows about this, and I think it would be better to keep it this way". Secrets were harder to keep the more people knew about them.

The Viscount changed the topic. "You wrote that there is a merchant wanting to marry Ellen. Please, tell me about it". Now that things had been said, both men needed to focus on other things.

By not dwelling on the topic of poison, Cedric was satisfied that the cause of death was not necessarily nefarious. "Yes, keep me apprised."

The topic changed to Ellen's potential suitor.  "Sam Cooper," he began.  "Name's no surprise as the family has been coopers for five generations.  Sam has a son Tom, not so motivated to run the business and wants to join the navy.  Sam makes respectable barrels.  I do business with him.  He needs a strong woman to keep Tom making barrels.  There is no other son to carry on the family business.  He's not looking for much of a dowry, but needs one of my girls, which is a good thing.  Natalie, I love to death, but she has no mind for business.  She is so gullible, Duncan, she would get in a coach with a stranger and give him all her money if he asked nicely.  She's such a pretty thing that she is in real danger of being violated. I have to keep an eye on her and find a strong man to keep her out of trouble, but I have to marry off Ellen first and she has no suitors.  I am getting a bit desperate here," he admitted.  "She is not going to like being a mere cooper's wife, I think, but maybe she can grow the business.  I would buy all my barrels from her," he chuckled. 

"A fifth-generation cooper's son who wants to join the Navy Royal? Hmm..." Duncan was biased, of course, being an ex-military type himself. To the Lowlander, a berth in a military ship was far preferable to barrel-making, even if the barrels were respectable. The mention of Natalie stopped him from saying what was on his mind. "Natalie, yes. I understand what you mean. You need to keep an eye on her, and not because she is a bad weed, but rather for her own protection". Having been part of the family for a while, he knew the strengths and weaknesses of both sisters. Sir Cedric needed help to marry both of them off.

A quandary. The Scotsman's brow furrowed. How can I remain true to all parties involved, my conscience included?

"Have you ever considered Baron Dundarg as a possible match for Ellen?" The Viscount asked. "I know the man. We bled together in the battlefields of the Continent. Everything he has, he has earned, not inherited, and he puts great effort in everything he does. I see him going places. He may even have an in with the Russian Ambassador*. Such a man would be an asset to Horizon Ventures, I believe. Knowing Ellen, he would be a better match than a cooper, as a Scottish Barony does have a measure of social prestige, especially north of the Wall". It was left unstated that Douglas' heir would also be at least a Scottish Baron.

There was something else in favour of Douglas. It was a bit impolite to state, but it was true. "Although Scottish Barons are not peers, they probably have an advantage over coopers if a Baronetcy needs to be transferred to a son-in-law". Duncan stated it as delicately as he could. His Baronetcy had cost Sir Cedric a pretty penny, the price of a ship. As a merchant, he was probably loathe to see that amount of money go to waste. The Lowlander was certain the man in front of him would rather see it held by a grandson eventually.

One problem at a time, Sir Cedric, but I am here to help.

* As related to Duncan by Cat, Douglas' sister, here.

He had one Scottish son-in-law, so gaining a second would not be a compromise.  Truth be told, Ellen was not getting younger and she was a difficult match because she thought more like a man when it came to business.  Many men did not appreciate a headstrong wife.

"If you recommend Dundarg, I would consider him surely," Cedric confirmed.  "Has he met Ellen?  Do they ... get along?"  It was fine to imagine possibilities but if they had yet to meet, then one could not assume compatibility.  "Encourage him to call on me here at the inn.  We could go for a walk about town together," he suggested.  "I am here for the week."

Natalie would be an easy match because of her beauty, but she had none of the brains of her sisters.  "We need to find someone for Natalie too.  Sam Cooper is not interested in her because he needs a daughter-in-law that is strong.  We need to find a man that wants a beautiful wife and lots of beautiful children," he added.  One did not need brains to become pregnant, and a beauty was more likely to attract a husband's interest in procreation.  She would need a smart and strong man.

Duncan did his best not to smile. He had expected that Sir. Cedric would take some convincing, even though the Scot's arguments were sound. "He is like a brother, Sir Cedric, and not because he is a Scot. He is a Highlander and, generally, they do not get along with us Lowlanders, as we are too Anglicized for their taste". It was generally true, but in their particular case there were other factors. "But we bleed together in the Régime du Dumbarton when it fought under the French flag. There is no better way to test a man's character as war, Sir Cedric, and Douglas rose up to the challenge". That was as good of a recommendation as he could give.

"As for meeting Ellen, yes, I think he has. I saw them together at the yacht races" which meant they had met in a large social gathering, so propriety had been observed. "I will let him know that he can call on you then". The rest would be up to Dundarg and Sir Cedric. the Viscount had done his part.

May Providence smile upon you both, dear Ellen and Douglas. You deserve to be happy, both of you.

"Natalie needs someone who wants a very pretty face on his arm, but who will also take good care of her. I will be on the lookout and, if I meet such a gentleman, I will let you know immediately". He would. Natalie would not be able to fend for herself. She needed someone who would care for her just as her father did. Perhaps an older gentleman who wanted a young and beautiful second or third bride?

Duncan paused, and took a sip of wine from his glass. There was another matter he needed to discuss with Sir Cedric, one that pained him greatly.

"May I approach a rather distasteful but necessary topic, Sir Cedric?"

That Dundarg was a Highlander, was a negative for an English father that wanted his daughter to marry an English husband.  Duncan was correct in stating that Lowlanders were the most Anglican-friendly Scots, whereas Highlanders prided themselves on being non-conformists and rebels.  Cedric would need to take the measure of the man.  Yet, being a baron was a status above commoner, which was important.

Duncan promised to help search for a prospective husband for Natalie.  Hopefully there was one at court, perhaps an older man.  "Thank you."

His son-in-law then braced himself for something more serious.  There was a feeling of dread in his words.  What could be more serious that Ophelia being poisoned?  Doolittle was a strong man internally, though (like Duncan) his body failed him at times.  Having three daughters and a sick wife meant that he needed to be strong.  "Yes, go ahead," he offered cautiously.  It was to be a distasteful conversation and Cedric suspected it would be particularly distasteful to himself, given the hesitancy to discuss it.

Had Duncan known Sir Cedric's thoughts, he would have smiled cryptically. He was Presbyterian, after all, and very much so. But the Test Act of 1673 was worded in such an Anglo-centric way that the Lowlander had had no qualm abiding by it.

Now, to grab the bull by the horns.

"Your granddaughter, Ellen, has her inheritance, or her dowry if I live that long, assured. My solicitor in Edinburgh has documents that will see her inheriting Melville House in Chelsea, my investments in Horizon Ventures, the EIC, and the WIC, and the lands and title for the Scottish Barony of Melville of Monymail*. Notwithstanding me living or dying, I have done the best I can for her. The man also has instructions as to who will take care of her until she comes of age if I die before then, and the remuneration to be received from that service". That the first person on a very short list was the Countess Alyth was not mentioned. Cat would do right by Ellen, he was sure.

"My other titles and lands, which make a large part of my wealth, namely the Viscountcy of Melville and the Lordship of Monymail and their entitled lands, would revert to the Crown, as they were issued in the English style rather than the Scottish one**". A pause. "This means that unless I accept their loss with my death, I will have to marry again after the prescribed year of mourning, so I may sire an heir. I intend no slight to the memory of Ophelia with this, nor to you and your family, but I feel cornered into it". It was a distasteful topic to Duncan, as his wife had been dead for only a few weeks. "I wanted you to hear it from me, face to face. I respect you too much, so I at least owed you that".

The Viscount braced himself for the backlash that his words were bound to produce, and his face showed his anguish.

* OOC: Which has no effect in play, but has been in Duncan's character sheet since the beginning.
** OOC: Most Scottish titles could be inherited by daughters, but Duncan is an exception for fairness' sake.

Duncan began with a summary of the care that had been put in place for his daughter Ellen.  This caused Cedric to wonder whether Duncan was dying of some long illness, or was planning to travel the world and leave Ellen behind.  It sounded like the words of someone saying goodbye.  The Baronet found himself nodding cautiously.

The reason soon became apparent.  Duncan reviewed that he planned to remarry one day.  There was some relief that the matter was not more serious. "Yes, of course you must remarry," he acknowledged.  It was what nobles did to produce a male heir.  He had hoped that Duncan would marry either Ellen or, better yet, Natalie.  The Scotsman seemed to have little interest in those directions, unfortunately.  "You have plenty of time to consider the future," he advised, "the loss is still fresh."  Cedric was a perceptive man. One needed that skill in mercantile pursuits.  Duncan was nervous about the issue and he was addressing it with a note of urgency, it seemed. He paused to scan the face of his son-in-law.  "Have you already ... found someone?"

Although Ellen was someone Duncan admired very much as a savvy business person, in his mind she was destined for Douglas. As for Natalie, she would drive him to drink and to an early grave, he was certain. She would drive him to it as he would spend a large part of his time making sure she did not get in trouble. So, he had discarded both sisters as a possibility.

"Yes, the loss is still fresh, and I need time. I guess that is the need for the one-year mourning custom. Ophelia is ever-present in my thoughts at this point. Not that I will ever forget her, but I do hope things get easier with time". There was a shadow over his face, one of profound sadness. "I will miss her my whole life". His voice broke.

At Sir Cedric's keen question, Duncan looked the man in the eye, and answered candidly. "I might have. I just met a young lady. Nothing is certain at this point, of course. Ellen saw me walking with her yesterday at the yacht races and can give you her opinion. I will meet her mother today, and will ask permission to write to her. If I am given permission, and correspondence with the young lady is agreeable, then in some months' time I will ask to speak with her father. If that goes well, then a season or two will pass before anything happens. Nothing has been said, nothing has been hinted or promised, as it should be". For a moment Duncan considered not revealing the young lady's identity yet, but Sir Cedric was bound to find out anyways, especially since his only granddaughter was indirectly involved. "The lady in question is the oldest single daughter of His Grace the Duke of Newcastle, Lady Frances".

Yes, the one rumours speak about all over court, being surpassed only by those about Lord Kingston. A pause.

"Due to His Grace's standing, nothing is certain. I am but a Scottish Viscount, albeit from a very old family. It might happen, it might not. Providence will decide. If it does not, I will have to restart my search". All Duncan knew was that he needed to sire an heir to keep the name of Melville thriving. "The most important test will be how the lady in question treats my daughter. If I do not like what I see, and in war one learns to read people, things will not proceed. Ellen is all I have left from your daughter, Sir Cedric, besides my friendship with you and yours, so she must be treated with respect by whoever I marry".

Sir Cedric was as close the Lowlander had had to a father in a long time, so the Lowlander's words were far freer than with most others. the Viscount would like the older man's blessing, but that was neither the time nor the place to ask for it.

Cedric found himself listening to a long explanation, instead of a simple yes.  As an older man, he could see things more dispassionately than a woman, such as his late wife.  Ophelia's mother would say that a man should not begin his search for a year; that it did not matter if a second wedding was a year later, but when the heart moved onward.  Doolittle could hear her voice in his mind as well.  For such a heart-broken man, to an outsider, he might seem to have moved on quickly.

Cedric, on the other hand, knew men that were so lonely that they remarried right away. They needed a woman to complete the family and could not abide the emptiness they felt.  Ophelia was a commoner girl.  She was no queen or princess worthy of monuments and long grieving periods.  An experienced man knew that each man had different needs.  Perhaps Duncan was more needy than he imagined.

To Duncan, he would see that his father-in-law was deep in thought, allowing Duncan to finish his monologue. "A duke's daughter," he replied at last, sounding impressed.  "You just met her at Windsor?" he sought to clarify.  "I knew her grandfather, a grand lord of the north, one of the greatest of that generation.  He liked Lowlanders too." It was his way of trying to say something encouraging.

"His daughter Frances you say?" he again sought clarification.  "People say ..." he caught himself before slandering her, "she is unique," he substituted.  "She has a elder sister Elizabeth, married Ablemarle," he went on, "been married for years but no issue."  Those sorts of facts were critical to a lord looking for an heir.  People also suggested that Elizabeth was mad.  Frances might be both as well.  Might that be why the Howards and Dorset broke their engagements?  Clearly something was wrong with the girl, but it was not Cedric's place to give voice to the caution. It would sound spiteful coming from the father of Duncan's dead wife.  "I know that you will do the right things," he uttered in conclusion.  That included care for his granddaughter.  Yet, would a stepmother show the same concern?  Time would tell.  

Was Duncan one of those men who needed a wife to feel complete? He had never considered the thought and, if he had, he would not have known the answer. The Lowlander was relieved that Sir Cedric seemed to be patient and understanding. Although the older man was no longer his father-in-law, the Viscount's respect and affection for him was great. "Yes, I met her only yesterday. With great families things take a very long time. The young lady seems agreeable enough, but now I have to meet her mother and gain her approval, be investigated at length, meet her father and gain his approval, have solicitors draw up a draft contract, have it reviewed by both parties..." it would take many months and Duncan knew it. "And Newcastle being a dukedom, the King's acceptance is also necessary..."

Things had been far easier between Duncan and Sir Cedric. A dinner, an after-dinner chat, a contract that was approved after the first draft, and a wedding. Which prompted another thought...

"I mean no slight to you or yours, Sir Cedric, but I must seek a wife outside your household. Ellen would always feel like she was being compared to Ophelia, even though she would be, and that would just not be fair to her. As for Natalie, I have done enough killing to last ten lifetimes, and her beauty would attract many a blackguard, I am afraid. His Grace Charles would exile me after the second of third duel killing after a perceived slight, I fear". Duncan meant no disrespect. On the contrary he spoke plainly because he respected and trusted the Baronet.

A moment's pause as he listened to the older man's words.

"The Albemarles are a... unique... family", Duncan said using the same word. "His Grace is a fop. Her grace is known to dabble in things better left unspoken. It is very possible that she has had no issue precisely because of her particular... interests". As a God-fearing man, the Viscount preferred not to speak about the supernatural directly. "Yet..." a moment to compose his thoughts. "Yet, I thank you for your warning. If Lady Frances were to display the same... inclinations... as her older sister, my interest in her would end". Duncan would not expose his daughter to witchcraft of any sort. "I will do what is right for your granddaughter, Sir Cedric. You have my word".

"You met a lady only yesterday and already you have all the next steps planned out?"  It seemed incredible that a detailed and lengthy courtship would be launched after a brief meeting.  No other woman had caused such a reaction?  The older man could explain it to himself that it was not every day that a Scottish viscount could have a chance to marry a Cavendish daughter, let alone be a son-in-law to a duke.  Perhaps such an opportunity demanded a hasty move.  Cedric chose not to make Duncan explain himself. It would be awkward perhaps.

The excuses for not pursuing another of his daughters seemed just that, excuses.  Ellen, he believed, would be quite happy to marry Duncan and she would be a good wife for him. Natalie neded protection, but she was no light skirt to spark multiple duels.  He wants to marry up.  Duncan had married a merchant's daughter and now he wanted the prize of a duke's daughter.  It was as simple as that.  Cedric may have felt better if Duncan had said that he felt the necessity to marry into a powerful noble family.  That would have seemed more honest to Cedric, but it was of no matter.

Cedric sat back and finished his drink. "I truly wish you luck Duncan, but let me leave you with this thought, if you were to marry Natalie, I would know that she would be protected.  I could go to my grave content.  I need to save Ellen's dowry, but I would give you everything else I own ... everything in the way of inheritance, if you took care of Natalie.  All my ships, real estate, coin, and stock in my warehouses.  She would give you a son and more, and I would give you a princely dowry and inheritance.  You can have my grand house in London as a wedding present.  I will move away.  It is worth 10,000 pounds surely.  I will give you another 15,000 dowry, and my estate, when I die, could be worth as much as 50,000 pounds.  Even Newcastle cannot match anything near that.  He has too many daughters. You may be lucky to get 5-10,000 pounds, and your wife may be unable to give you children.  Think on it."

Merchants did not take no for an answer lightly.  To them, everything was a negotiation.  Duncan, though a proud noble, was a businessman at heart.  Cedric needed to make him an offer he could not refuse.  Natalie was his favorite because she was so innocent and simple.  It was an endearing quality to a father, but Cedric needed to find her a worthy husband, and he would spend his last shilling assuring that his youngest was happy and protected.

If Duncan had known Sir Cedric's thoughts, he would have been horrified as he realized that his words and his thoughts had not come across as intended. "It is not that I want to plan things, Sir Cedric", Duncan explained. "But I spend most nights awake, looking at the ceiling, and I need to occupy my mind with something, anything, lest I go raving mad". It was true. The Lowlander's nights were not nice. His days were only a little better. "I even asked Lord Kingston to get me a guard post just so I had something to do, something that tired me enough so I could go to sleep, and even that was denied to me". The Viscount could not elaborate on what had been allowed. "I need something to do. I have been working on a military project, but there is only so much time I can dedicate to it before my brain wanders..." Duncan did not elaborate on what the project was, because he did not think Sir Cedric was interested.

And then, Sir Cedric made an enormous offer if he married Natalie. Truly enormous. To Duncan, the Baronet was even downplaying the amount. Melville House had cost ten thousand pounds, and it was located in Chelsea, not St James Square, and was only two stories high, not three. Sir Cedric's mansion was bound to be worth a lot more than the man claimed. As the Scot was about to reply, a sudden realization hit him.

He knows me, and approves of who I am. Else, he would not be making this offer. He is just a father trying to do his best for his youngest daughter, and he thinks I am good enough for her.

It was a sobering moment.

The Scot's tone of voice changed. "Here we are, Sir Cedric, two men striving to do their best. Me, to my name, and you, to your daughters. All I can say is that you are the better man". For a moment, Duncan was at a loss for words. "I bow my head in shame. I have been so self-centered, that I have not considered your pain, nor your care for them". Another moment of silence. "Please, forgive me". The words were truly heartfelt and his head was indeed bowed.

Cedric was not without feelings for Duncan.  He was like a son to him, in a way, after marrying poor Ophelia, and had been an honorable man.  Few aristocrats were so upstanding.

"Stay busy," Doolittle agreed.  "It has worked for me.  There are mercantile opportunities aplenty to consider.  Trade between Scotland and London has been something I was pondering broaching with you."  One needed Scottish connections, usually with Lauderdale, to make a true profit on a trade route north.

Duncan's reaction was something of a surprise.  Cedric had not intended to shame the Scot; rather, he sought to keep him in the family to care for his greatest fear.

"Feel no shame son," Cedric offered quietly.  "At funerals we cry for our loss, not the deceased.  We care about our pain, not others at the time.  It is the way of things."  He paused to see if the Scot would raise his head.

"Duncan my offer to you is to help you, but it will help me too.  You need money to build the Melville name.  In doing this you aid yourself and Ophelia's memory.  You are in pain.  What better way to lesson the pain than marrying Ophelia's sister?  It is the family that you know.  Your daughter will grow up with her aunt to love her.  There are no snooty in-laws telling you what to do and who to befriend.  We like everyone and believe you should be the captain of your own life."  It was not uncommon for the scion of a family to expect the family to follow his lead.  "You would be one of many in-laws to the Cavendishes and would not be treated as special.  To us, you are special. We know you to be a good man, an honorable man.  You are the next north star of the Doolittle family, whereas you are but one star in an infinite constellation of Cavendishes.  A Scottish viscount is not notable to their clan, but it is to us.  With the Doolittle wealth, you can have estates all over the Three Kingdoms, in the New World, and on the Continent.  You can raise your own regiment and afford to outfit it.  The last Newcastle did that for his King.  Oxford does it for this King, as does Langdon.   It would keep you busy and earn the regard of the court.  With money, you make more money.  You can afford good dowries for your daughters, to attract cream to the Melville banner," he continued, a natural salesman.  "It opens a world of possibilities to make the honored Melville name even more storied."

And what do I get out of this arrangement?" he asked rhetorically.  "I keep a good man in the family, one that will protect both my daughters and my grandchildren.  And I fear for Natalie more ways than one.  She will likely attract a husband that may beat and abuse her, take her money and treat her like an animal."  His eyes were sad as he reflected on the possibility.  "I will not likely be able to help her, nor might you if you were married to a Cavendish.  I would not choose such a husband for her, but I may be fooled, or she might be kidnapped and impregnated by a blackguard intent on having her."  His face flushed with anger.  "This is what keeps me awake at night.  I am inclined to hide her in a nunnery," he added for a bit of dark humor.

"I enable your dreams and you allay my nightmare," he summarized.  Cardinal Mazarin had been fooled by a man that professed love for his favorite niece, Hortense.  The man beat her and mistreated her, while squandering her fortune.  In the end, she fled her husband and hid in friendly courts.  If it could happen to the Chief Minister of France, it could happen to Cedric.

"I do not require an answer now," Cedric allowed.  An answer compelled was more likely to change.  "Pray on it for a few days before you take your next step with Lady Frances," he recommended.

Duncan nodded at the advice of staying busy. “Trying to, trying to. I need to sleep more, that I know. I had decided against herb draughts suggested by a wise woman, but then I started to drink myself to sleep. That was no good, so now I am having a bit of the herbs. Not laudanum, though. That would be even worse than uisgee”.

”Trade with Scotland? Hmm…” Here was another opportunity to promote Douglas. “Talk to Dundarg. He is close to His Grace Lauderdale, far closer than I will ever be”… unless I am sinking a dirk into his kidney, that is. “His grace will probably want a cut, but if Douglas asks, the cut is bound to be smaller. I will make it a point to tell Dundarg to seek you the next time I see him”. Unbeknownst to Duncan, Douglas’ closeness with Lauderdale had increased dramatically of late. “Having said that, this humble partner of yours approves trade with Scotland wholeheartedly. There are wares much needed north of the Wall, and who better than Horizon Ventures to provide them?”

Pray on it for a few days…

As much as he considered himself a devout Christian, Duncan had not prayed about who to marry. “I will do more than that, Sir Cedric. You are right. I should not make a hasty decision. I will wait at least until next court season before I make a choice”. That will give me time to really pray about it. That is what I should have been doing in my listless nights… “I do want to thank you, though. To know you think so highly of me means a great deal…” and I need to think about how to protect Natalie if I decide to marry someone else. I owe him at least that.

Sir Cedric’s words had given Duncan much food for thought. Although he had taken to the exercise of finding a new bride as a way to spend his sleepless nights, there were things, probably many things, that he had not considered. The link between his dream for an artillery regiment and money, for example. If he had the money, not only would the Lowlander not need to beg Parliament for it, but his election into the Lower House would be eased, or so he thought. It could even get him the English Barony he had wanted for so long.

Decisions, decisions… decisions I do not need to make right now, thank God!

”Thank you for your advice. It has given me much to think about”.

(OOC: fin?)

Format

"Take your time,of course," Cedric replied as he made ready to take his leave.  The older man had expected his offer to bowl over Duncan, but the Scot merely expressed a need to think on it.  To a merchant, when showing a customer a prized piece of property at a very low price, a response that the buyer would need months to think on it was not especially encouraging.  There was only so much selling he could do to his former son-in-law; Doolittle would need to accept that Duncan was likely set on chasing the Duke's daughter.  It was a pity, but maybe the younger man would come to see the world more clearly in time.

"I'll be staying at the inn for the next five days and then I am needed back in London," Cedric announced.  "If you need me, I shall be available."  With that, Cedric took to his feet, left coins on the table for the inn staff. "It was good to see you again Duncan.  I best tend to my correspondence before I find time to walk to the castle."  With that, he was ready to depart.

Duncan had finally begun to learn to take his time. Yes, Sir Cedric's offer was difficult, if not impossible, to top, but even if the Lowlander were to accept, he would not do so immediately. He needed to consider many factors. In a sense, the shipping magnate was responsible for delaying the Scot's decision. Something that the Baronet had said had struck home... that to His Grace Newcastle he would be only one of many sons in law, and never the most important one. He is right about that. I must think long and hard about this...

The Viscount stood up, and nodded respectfully to the older man. "Thank you for making time to see me, Sir Cedric. And it was good to see you too. I am certain that we will meet again soon". Having nothing more to say, he extended his right hand in a farewell gesture.