JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Business over Lunch | Early Afternoon, Saturday 24th September, 1678

Why was he surprised? Because Douglas didn't value beauty in a woman. He'd grown up surrounded by beauties and familiarity bred contempt; besides, he'd seen in his step mother that a beautiful face could hide an ugly heart. If he'd had to make a guess, he would have assumed that Sir Cedric favoured Ellen, her being the one with the head for business and who had kept his house for him once her mother died. Regardless, he hadn't planned to have this conversation right now. I should have quit whilst I was ahead. But lunch was only half done and it had to happen some time; he had promised Ellen that he would always respect her and he decided that she deserved the truth, whatever she made of it. 

"My request was denied, aye." He confirmed. "But t'wasnae fer Natalie. I was offered her insteid, an' at the time I thocht t'was cause she was least favoured, nae most." But that was the chip on his shoulder influencing his assumptions. "Regardless, I declined." He said bluntly. "I'm sure she's a fine lassie," he said carefully, though Ellen had shown that she didn't hold her sister in too much regard, but Douglas would not offend her, "but I hae heardit that her face was her finest quality, an' I want a wife wi' a guid heid on her shoulders." He said bluntly. So long as she wasn't dog-ugly, he didn't care too much about a woman's looks. Most women had something attractive about them. Heather O'Roarke was no great beauty but her vibrant personality, fun ways and wild, red hair had had him sweating. He'd risked the King's wrath to be with her. "Besides, if she's tae inherit she weel need a man wha alrairdy kens tradin', and' that isnae me." He pointed out. He was hoping to learn that from Ellen. Fuck, I can't deal with beating around the bush; let's get this out. "My request was fer ye."* He said bluntly, and for a moment reached out and touched her hand. 

Ellen summed up the situation with Melville pretty well, though Douglas was not so certain that he would not choose one of the other sisters. If Duncan married Natalie then that would give him Horizon Ventures, which could make him very rich. But perhaps this time he would choose to wed for political influence. Only Duncan knew which. Perhaps it was something the two men should discuss, if Douglas decided that he wanted to pursue a Doolittle girl. The subject clearly upset Ellen though; small wonder really when she'd been on the meet market for so long, and no doubt offered to many men by her father and turned down. Repeated rejection hurt; he understood. 

"Melville weel do as he sees fit." Douglas acknowledged; that was really all there was to be said on that subject. But there was something he wanted to know. He knew he wasn't objective enough on the subject but he was a passionate man and fuck it but there was one more factor that would influence whether or not he sought to change a certain decision. "Tell me one thin' honestly lassie, an' thain I weel ne'er mention the subject again." He promised. "If yer father were tae change his mind aboot my request; wuid that please ye?"** He asked. If she didn't want him there was no point, and if he wanted Doolittle money he might as well pursue Natalie. But if she did... then she might well be worth fighting for. 

Subtitles
* " My request was denied, yes. But it wasn't for Natalie. I was offered her instead, and at the time I thought it was because she was least favoured, not most. Regardless, I declined. I'm sure she's a fine girl, but I had heard that her face was her finest quality, and I want a wife with a good head on her shoulders. Besides, if she's to inherit she will need a man who already knows trading, and that isn't me. My request was for you."
** "Melville will do as he sees fit. Tell me one thing girl, and then I will never mention the subject again. If your father were to change his mind about my request, would that please you?"

At least he was honest about it. But that did not make her feel better.

And then he said he had declined and offered up his opinion of her sister.

And her appearance as well as the truth that her husband needed to be a skilled man and knowledgable with Ships and Trade and he was just not that person. 

And next came the words that stunned her. Then the physical touch of his hand on hers

"What  ....."

She had gone paler than she normally was and the glass she held was in danger of falling.

"Forgive me  ....."

She stammered as he continued on with his thoughts on Lord Melville then dropped the question that demanded her answer.

"If such a thing were to happen .... "

She broke off trying to regain her composure. This was after all no proposal but rather the wanting of an answer that would determine his direction. He made it clear that if she refused then he would let it die and never open it up again. For some reason she found that that hurt. There was something that was flaring up between them they both knew it but she had not thought that it would be put out on the table today. And that he would want an answer. There was hardly time enough for her to think but she did know that if he was simply a business partner and nothing else then the loss would be hers forever and there would never be a second chance.

"It would indeed Captain FitzJames." She found herself saying back quietly as she set the glass down. "It would please me very much."

Not at all how she was planning in her mind to answer but there it was.

Her eyes fixed on his and she did not move her hand from where he touched.

"I am caught in surprise for I had assumed that it was Natalie that drew your interest that way. I can not deny that I have felt drawn towards you and since you have been upfront I must be the same."

"But we both are of an age where honesty serves and to play with the others' feeling is not right."

She took a breath to settle as well as calm herself.

"So what happens next then?"

He would see that she was unsettled but was making every effort to maintain despite the shimmer in her eyes of gathering tears that she would not allow to fall.

If he was simply toying with her emotions to make her feel better he would come to regret it. 

Douglas had promised that he would respect Ellen, and part of that respect, he felt, was being honest with her. And that included not leaving her thinking the wrong thing, even if by her own assumptions. Still she clearly hadn't been expecting what he told her, for she paled and looked for a moment as though she might drop her glass. Perhaps it was a little cruel demanding an answer of her, but since they were talking about it Douglas wanted to know what her thoughts were on the matter. He wasn't asking her to marry him, he was asking whether it was even worth him pursuing that as a possibility. Douglas had no desire for a woman who did not want him, so the question was important to him.

Ellen clearly hadn't expected it - neither had he, when they sat down to lunch - and he waited silently, patiently, whilst she marshalled her thoughts. Surely that was a good sign? A negative would have been an easy answer, he told himself. And indeed, in the end, Ellen answered in the affirmative. This drew a smile, genuine if a little grim, from the big man. There were obstacles between them that would need to be overcome, if they wanted it to happen. 

"Fergi' me; I hadnae intended tae speak o' such thin's todae." He said quietly, when Ellen admitted he surprised her. "But I cuid see ye were saddened by the thocht that I wuid prefer yer sister o'er ye, an' I cuidnae let that lie."* He explained. To do so had seemed cruel, and he would not be cruel to her. Nor would he toy with her heart.

Douglas's smile becoming freer, more open, as she said she had been drawn to him. "T'was Melville wha first recommended ye tae me," he admitted, "thinkin' us weel suited, an' noo that I ken ye better, I cannae help but agree." The more he knew her, the more he liked her. "An' part o' respectin' ye is bein' honest wi' ye."** That was his view anyway. Douglas had no time for and poor opinion of those who played with the hearts of others, even if he might guiltily admit to himself that perhaps he had left a lady or two hanging. 

The truth was that, after seeing his father's mercurial marriage to his step-mother, Douglas was probably a bit commitment-phobic. He wanted a wife, wanted that companionship, but always at the last he backed away. Admittedly some of the ladies had been less well suited; he had an eye for the noble-born girls, but his best prospect there was probably Bridget Osborne, and with her father in disgrace that would likely not benefit him save for the connection to the Earl of Linsey. He hadn't intended to re-open the question of Ellen Doolittle, but things had progressed to a point where he felt that he must. I want some time to think about this, but I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Then again, he'd spent plenty of time thinking, and yet he deplored a lack of action in others. He suspected himself of pursuing some abstract he would never have. His ideal woman would be rich, noble with connections, and intelligent. And likely want nothing to do with a bastard Scotsman. 

He looked across to the prettily flustered Ellen, whose hand he was still touching. He really liked her sharp mind, and her blonde hair. Two out of three aint bad.

Ever the realist - which Douglas needed - she asked a very pertinent question. What happened now? That at least he felt he could answer. "We continue as we planned. We hae a tradin' comp'ny tae foond, an' I need my wise an' canny business partner."*** He said firmly, releasing her hand. Sometimes it was better to focus on business. 

And then what? Having made the admissions that they had, he couldn't just leave things there. And he decided that he wouldn't. "In the meantime I weel hae a wee word wi' ane er twa folk; startin' wi Laird Melville." He said. Melville he figured knew Sir Cedric well from a man's perspective.  He might even speak for Douglas; he'd suggested the match after all.

Douglas's sharp features took on a grave and serious expression. "I cannae promise ocht." He warned her. "I hae been refused once alrairdy, but I weel try. Fer ye." Because he valued Ellen. He liked her, and found himself attracted to her. And yes, he might even grow to love her. Then suddenly the smile reappeared. "Wha kin ken; if we show hou successfu' we er as traders, yer father might e'en change his mind."++

Subtitles
* "Forgive me; I hadn't intended to speak of such things today. But I could see you were saddened by the thought that I would prefer your sister over you, and I couldn't let that lie. 
** "It was Melville who first re3commended you to me, thinking us well suited, and now that I know you better I can't help but agree. And part of respecting you is being honest with you."
*** "We continue as we planned. We have a trading company to found, and I need my wise and canny business partner."
+ "In the meantime I will have a word with one or two people, starting with Lord Melville."
++ "I can't promise anything. I have been refused once already, but I will try. For you. Who can know; if we show how successful we are as traders, your father might even change his mind."

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

HIs smile was a welcom'd reassurance right when it was needed.

He too had not planned on this chain of events but it was all based on clearing up the assumption she had wrongly made.

She understood without it having to be said that he was looking around for what he considered to be suitable in a wife which had led him to her father.  But that begged the question - just who else was on the list of his? If he searched about Court there had to be a few daughters and sisters of Peers that were suitable and would bring Benefits to both sides right? Even Merchants besides her father had daughters that would fit his needs as well. It suddenly hit her that she had been thinking in the singular and that it was her alone that held his interests. It would be foolish of her indeed to expect him to want to commit to her right now. She could hardly blame him for that. He agreed with Lord Melville that they were suited but that was just one person. She had no way of knowing just how many others he was talking to and each one of them had their own opinions. And suggestions no doubt about those that would let him advance himself more at Court than she could ever offer. Her father's bought title was not a contention really since that was common thing done so an impediment it would not be. Any perspective father-in-law had to look at the whole picture and all that Captain FitzJames brought was a Scottish Title possible some lands and connection to Trade and Military. And of course his paternity. Would a Peer want to give over a daughter to him? Maybe. But it was all the more likely that a Merchant would and be happy with it as well. 

He answered her question about what was next saying that they continued to pursue their Business as planned. 

"I agree. This takes precedence and while I am happy to hear you sing my praises  ...." She gave him a smile. "And I appreciate your honesty - there is much still undecided on a personal level."

"You will do as you see fit. Draw up a contract and let us make this venture legal."

"Whatever else, well, that will come as it may or not."

"If my father refuses for a second time and you change your mind I do not want you to feel any remorse."

She was giving him face if he wanted to look elsewhere.

"I know that you can not promise me anything and so I am not expecting you to."

"Not here. Not today." 

There weren't many potential brides on Douglas's list. Certainly he wasn't the type of man that noble fathers sought out for their daughters. Oh, there were plenty he fancied, but few that were realistic. Fewer still who seemed to regard him well in turn, but there were some. But of the ladies on Douglas's shortlist, Ellen was the only one for whom he'd actually made a request. 

In her eminent practicality Ellen agreed that they should focus on what they could change - the fate of Highland Trading. There was much undecided on a personal level, but on a professional level decisions had been made, and they would best be served by following through on those decisions. Both were keen to make their own mark on the world, in the face of what they perceived were the inequities of their respective situations. 

In the meantime, he would see whether they might have more of a future together. If her father refused a second time he would have to let things lie, but he could at least ask. This time with a little more prepartion. "White'er happens, I weel let ye ken." He promised. "Sae ye arena left wonderin'."* If it wasn't to be then Ellen should know that, so that she too could move on. Douglas didn't believe in a 'one true love', that was the stuff of faerie tales. But he did think that he and Ellen would make a good pair. They could only see that fate thought on the subject.

There was a pause in the conversation and one of the wait staff swooped in, cleared the platter of bread, cold cuts and cheese, and brought them bowls of steamed pudding, custard and fruit boiled in syrup. All sweetened treats. It was perhaps a good opportunity to shift the direction of the conversation, rather than dwell on uncertainties.

"Ye ken, whin I were younger, I was verra bitter o'er my ain circumstances." Douglas admitted as he scooped up a spoonful of pudding. "I'm my father's ainly son, an' I blamed him entirely fer nae weddin' my mither an' makin' me his heir." He said, none of which was news to anyone who had known him earlier. "It coloured my view o' the world an' made fer a verra angry an' unhappy young man." He could see that now. It had taken a long time and a lot of encouragement from other people, but his viewpoint had shifted. "I cuid ainly see whit I cuidnae hae." And he had focused on that. "But there were thaim whit were willin' tae gie me a chance, an' whilk it still tuik me a lang time tae let that gie," if he really had, "I learned that t'was better tae focus on m'ain strengths an' whit I cuid do." He recalled. "I'm nae great Laird, but aw that I hae - my title, my estate, my Life Guard commission an' my Laird Lieutenantship - I hae earned m'sel. An' I hae foond a contentment in those thin's, an' findin' m'ain opportunities."** It had taken him a long time to see it, but in the end he had. That resentment towards his father would always be there, but it wasn't the massive chip on his shoulder that it had been. Somehow explaining it to Ellen made it more real too. He wasn't the only one who had been dealt a poor hand in life. 

"I'm tellin' ye this cause I kin see, wi' yer sister bein' favoured an' named heir throu' nae fault o' yern, that tis easy fer ye tae feel bitter an' neglected, as I did." He said sympathetically. "But yer a smart lassie and ye hae whit yer mither gied ye. Whilk I appreciate that, as a lassie, ye dinnae hae as mony opportunities as ye might wish, ye kin still focus on those ye do hae. Like oor venture."*** Perhaps that might give her some hope whilst she was stuck tending her father's household for a favoured sister who probably didn't appreciate all that Ellen did.

If Natalie was sixteen and to debut this year, then Ellen would likely be entirely overshadowed by the youngest of her sisters. Then a thought occurred. If Natalie, youngest, was sixteen, then Ophelia, the middle, had likely been at least eighteen, which must mean that Ellen, the oldest, was at least... "I mean nae disrespect, but hou auld er ye lassie?"+ Douglas asked suddenly, a thoughtful expression on his gaunt features. 

Subtitles
* "Whatever happens, I will let you know. So you aren't left wondering."
** "You know, when I was younger, I was very bitter over my own circumstances. I'm my father's only son, and I blamed him entirely for not marrying my mother and making me his heir. It coloured my view of the world and made for a very angry and unhappy young man. I could only see what I didn't have. But there were those who were willing to give me a chance, and whilst it still took me a long time to let that go, I learned that it was better to focus on my own strengths and what I could do. I'm no great Lord, but all that I have - my title, my estate, my Life Guard commission and my Lord Lieutenantship - I have earned myself. And I have found contentment in those things; and finding my own opportunities."
*** "I'm telling you this because I can see, with your sister being favoured and named heir through no fault of yours, that it's easy for you to feel bitter and neglected, as I did. But you're a smart girl and you have what you mother gave you. Whilst I appreciate that, as a lady, you don't have as many opportunities as you might wish, you can still focus on those you do have. Like our venture."
+ "I mean no disrespect, but how old are you girl?"

How nice of him to say that he would let her know she was not worthy   .....

oh stop it  ..... really grow up  ..... he is being what you wanted him to be and that's honest  ....  

A servant appeared and the table was cleaned and deserts came in. It gave her a few moments to settle her thoughts.

He then told her about himself and his younger days and how the fact that his father did not marry his mother was so damaging to him.

"I think that you have indeed come far from those times. Your accomplishments speak much for you as a man as well as of your Ambitions."

"And you have every right to be Proud. Why should you not be?"

"I find you quite admirable."

She favored him with another smile as she dipped into a custard.

"You should eat more  ..... You need to nourish to remain strong  ..."

Little did she realize how like a wife she sounded.

"When my mother died it was a hard thing. Ophelia and I felt the loss more I think than Natalie. She was still in the schoolroom yet if I asked her now she might well say different."

"I was used to keeping accounts for my father and knew my way around the Docks and most the frequent there. I was allowed to roam at will but knew that watchful eyes always looked out for me and I am thankful for it because it made things less frightening. Natalie was and always will be 'The Treasure'. I suppose that I have harbored some bad feelings for her simply because I was not held in such high esteem by our father. My looks you see were made fun of and compared to many. But I grew a thicker skin over time and now, well, I am not bothered."

"It has been hard however to be under appreciated. I am vey capable of running a household and all that entails, I keep accounts and balances and know measurements and weights."

"I know what goods will bring a profit and what will not. I know where merchandise is in the warehouses  ....."

"And still I am not good enough to be taken seriously."

She took a breath then.

"Sorry. I suppose that has been building up for some time now and it burst out. I hope my outburst has not put you off?"

She blinked a few times as he asked her age.

"Nineteen this year."

"And you - how old are you?"

Fair was fair after all.

"And do you suppose that now we are tied together in Business I might be simply 'Ellen' and you 'Douglas?'

"At least in private."

"I mean it will be a mouthful when we argue to be "Mistress Doolittle" and "Captain FitzJames"!"

Douglas didn't think that Ellen might prove unworthy; quite the opposite. The more they talked, the more he liked her. But if her father refused him a second time he would tell her upfront. They couldn't be business partners with that kind of doubt hanging between them. The big Scotsman was avoiding using more committal language because he was afraid that was exactly what would happen, and he did not want to get Ellen's hopes up unrealistically. He liked her too much for that. 

Ellen's words of praise warmed Douglas in a way he'd not expected, though he hadn't been fishing for them. He'd hoped to provide Ellen a bit of perspective on her own situation, even as she had unwittingly done so for his. Perhaps his words did cause her to reflect, for she began to open up more about her life and her frustrations, expounding on her abilities and her obstacles, all overshadowed by comparisons to her sister. From what she said, Ellen would make a far more capable wife than most, whilst her sister would need to be cosseted and cared for. Plus there were her unusual skills in trading, all no doubt learned from watching her father, but because of her gender she wasn't taken seriously. 

"Nae apologies needed lassie." Douglas assured her with a wave of his hand when Ellen apologised for her outburst. "I cuid see't buildin, an' I un'erstand'."* That was why he'd moved on to the subject. Oh yes, the bastard was rarely good enough, and poor Ellen, eminently capable and possessed of a good mind, was forever compared unfavourably both to the men in trading and to her beautiful but useless sister. It wasn't fair. 

"T'mun be richt frustratin', bein' compared tae a sister wha doesnae hae haf yer skills, but jus' happens tae be whit folk deem 'beautifu''." And perhaps rather more pliant than Ellen, but Douglas wanted to live so he kept that thought to himself. "think yer bonnie." He said frankly. "Ye hae verra fine hair." Blonde was such a rare tone, and much sought after. Like spun sunlight. "Besides, I grewd up wi' fower beautifu' sisters - an' thair mither - an' I kin tell ye, it gits auld. I find a guid mind on a lassie far more attractive."** And that was the honest truth. Men valued beauty, but Douglas had become so used to it - and what it could hide - that he was far more interested in other traits. And he knew that people could be so cruel. After all, there were his beautiful sisters and there was him; skinny malinky long legs. 

He understood Ellen's bitter comment all too well. "Alas but ye werenae born a son, eh?" He commiserated. For him you just had to add the word 'legitimate'. "I'm takin' ye seriously lassie, an' fer the few parts o' oor business whaur folk think they need a man, ye jus' tell me whit tae do." He assured her. "I'm yer student."*** Or her factor, or whatever else was needed. He was the Scot who knew the Highlands, she was the Trader's scion who knew the business. He had every faith in the pair of them.

Nineteen? The same age as Catriona then. But Ellen hadn't buried two husbands and bourne a child to a third man. What was it one of the old women in the village near Lochend used to say? All o' God's children hae problaims. Naturally Ellen turned the question on him. "I'm twenty-se'en." Douglas replied bluntly. "Which soonds like an' auld man by comparison, but yer a lot more mature thain I was at nineteen." He acknowledged. He'd still been a bratty youth. "An' yer twa yearn off yer majority, which was why I arsked. I thocht haps ye might be a wee bit closer tae some freedom."+ Going against her father's wishes would not be easy, but if Ellen was legally adult then she would be able to make some more of her own decisions, if she wished. 

They were being open and personal with each other, but her request surprised him. "Aye, Ellen." He said immediately. "Wi' pleasure. In private fer noo."++ He had no problem with that but did not wish to seem disrespectful nor overly familiar in public. 

Subtitles
* "No apologies needed girl. I could see it building, and I understand."
** "It must be very frustrating, being compared to a sister who doesn't have half your skills, but just happens to be what people think 'beautiful'. I think you're pretty. You have very fine hair. Besides, I grew up with four beautiful sisters - and their mother - and I can tell you, it gets old. I find a good mind on a lady far more attractive."
*** "Alas but you weren't born a son, eh? I'm taking you seriously girl, and for the few parts of our business where people think they need a man, you just tell me what to do. I'm your student."
+ "I'm twenty-seven. Which sounds like an old man by comparison, but you're a lot more mature than I was at nineteen. And you're two years off your majority, which was why I asked. I thought perhaps you might be a little bit closer to some freedom."
++ "Yes, Ellen. With pleasure. In private for now."

This had to be the most oddest conversation she had ever had.

Yet she felt as if it were entirely okay.

Well once misunderstandings had been cleared up.

It seemed that their childhoods while not alike were at least similar to create an understanding. The fact the he was actually listening made him all the more attractive to her. Of course she was listened to but it was in that general sense all men used to those of her sex and with just that touch of patronizing that undermined the whole thing. He say her emotional outburst for what it was and did not reproach her for doing it. It still rankled that he brought her younger sister up in conversation but that was her private feeling and one she would push away. 

His saying about his sisters caught her in surprise.

"Your sister? Four of them? Are they all here  ... In London I mean?"

He was quick on the complements but she did not think he was saying them just for effect or to plead his case.

"Student? No. You are your own person and as such I shall trust that in a given situation you will know what needs to be done."

"Ummm .... Try this  ...." She pointed to a fruit pie. "It is sweet from sugar and thickened with almond milk. Even the flowers are eatable."

She looked across the table at him waiting for him to do so.

"Twenty-seven is hardly a 'great age'" She said back. "The age between us is nothing after all."

"Unless that matters?"

"My Majority? I do not understand."

Her brow furrowed a bit as she looked at him.

"I have no Majority to reach. I remain my father's property till I marry then I become my husbands. That is the way of it."

Her words were matter of fact. Everyone knew this to be so.

"If i were a son well then it would fathom. I would be college educated then set off on some Life-Gaining tour then back to take up whatever occupation I had studied for."

"Freedoms come from what I am allowed to do. I can not do anything without the approval of a parent or husband."

"Is it done differently where you are from?"

"If so how fortunate are your sisters."

He then made use of her Christian name and she smiled back.

"And I feel the same  ... Douglas."

She said quietly tying it out.

The shift in mood to a happier one could not help but be noticed.

"Aye, fower hae-sisters." Douglas clarified. "Catriona, Fiona, Shona an' Aileen MacBain." He rattled off. "Weel, Catriona is a MacGregor noo; the Doowager Coontess Alyth."* More's the pity as Duncan had pointed out. She needed Adam around. Their upbringings had been very different but they'd both resulted in resentments that had festered in them; Douglas hadn't worked through to the logic that it would mean Ellen wouldn't want to hear about Natalia, had likely heard about her all her life, but he'd get there eventually. Sometimes it took him a little while to follow a train of thought. Right now all available trains were pulled in to a different station. 

The big man shook his head when Ellen asked whether he thought the eight years between them mattered; not in the slightest. It was normal for a man to wed a younger woman. As for their business? Age didn't seem to affect Ellen's competency one whit. He'd honestly thought she was a year or two older, she had such a mature manner to her. It amused him that she all but ordered him to eat, even pushing him towards one of the deserts. She was starting to sound like his sister. Easy lassie, ye haena wed me yet! Probably not the thing to say. 

His comment about her majority seemed to confuse her, and Douglas frowned in turn. He'd never really paid much attention to the legalities that ruled women's lives, though he knew that a widow had far more freedom than a maid. "Fergi' me; haps I misunderstuid." He allowed. "Thair was that scandel, t'mun be a couple o' yearn agie noo, whin ane o' the princesses wha came tae coort the King ended up weddin' that daffy wee doctor as used tae hang aroond coort. They sayed the weddin' ainly went aheid acause she haed reached her majority, an' didnae need the permission o' her... aunt, I think, tae wed."** Having heard that piece of gossip, Douglas had assumed that women gained at least some legal freedoms when they came of age. Not as many as men, but something. He'd been more amused by the apparent karma of the aunt always trying to find a 'better' husband for the girl, and leaving marrying her off so long that she did it herself. 

He'd thought perhaps Ellen might have a little freedom in her future. Then again, if her father wasn't well, perhaps she might anyway. He supposed that Melville might step in if Ellen and Natalie were orphaned. Or Kingston. Now there was a terrible thought. 

Perhaps it was better to move away from controversial topics. "Weel ye be attendin' the masque?"*** He asked. 

Subtitles
* "Yes, four half-sisters. Catriona, Fiona, Shona and Aileen MacBain. Well, Catriona is a MacGregor now; the Dowager Countess Alyth."
** "Forgive me, perhaps I misunderstood. There was that scandel, it must be a couple of years ago now, when one of the princesses who came to court the King ended up marrying that daft little doctor that used to hang around court. They said the wedding only went ahead because she had reached her majority, and didn't need the permission of her... aunt, I think, to wed."
*** "Will you be attending the Masque?"

A sister who was a Dowager Countess would be familiar with the Court and its ways so she might not be favorable to her brother attaching himself to a Merchants daughter.

But she left that thought unsaid.

"You seem to have managed to hold your own amongst so many!"

"Perhaps for a Princess it is different. But for me, as I said, I can not marry without my father's permission."

"I can have a say in regards to friendships and the company I keep or the styles of dress but for anything legal it is my father who has the final word."

"Which is why we are meeting here now. What fault is to be found?"

"The masque  ...."

"Yes. And you?"

"You I think shall have the hardest time to remain 'unknown' simply because you are so tall!"

"Perhaps you should alter your voice in some way as to confuse others?"

She was glad he had changed the topic. 

Any personal relations between them was unknown and there was no point in further discussing 'what ifs' at this point.

Best to move forwards in the Trading Business and all that it would entail. There was much to occupy each of them.

Cat hadn't approved of any of the women Douglas had expressed interest in, so he had, quite frankly, stopped listening to her opinion on the subject. Fortunately she had no actual say in the matter. Duncan approved of Ellen and that meant a lot to Douglas. So much so that, based on that recommendation alone, he had approached Sir Cedric. It was also why he was going to talk to Duncan about the matter first. He snorted in amusement when Ellen said he managed to hold his own amongst so many. "Cat an' I hae some bluidy guid rows, but we're family. Clan means a great deal tae us Scots."* It was hard to explain to those south of the border. 

As for the princess, clearly there was more to the situation than he had gathered from rumour alone. "Haps t'was cause her father haed passed." He suggested. Ellen's father was very much alive. "Er some quirk o' French law."** The big man shrugged. Whatever it was, there was no point in harping on the situation if it didn't apply to Ellen. Clearly her situation would only change when she wed, and if she wed the wrong man it might change for the worse. Some men valued women who were mild and simple and wanted nothing more than a comfortable home to manage and decorate. Douglas didn't understand that at all. 

"Weel, I'm glad ye hae the freedom tae choose yer friends an' associates."*** He said simply, else they wouldn't be sitting here as they were now. And he had carefully chosen the location to be open and public so that no claim of inappropriateness could be considered. They were two people having lunch, and discussing business. 

Personal matters between them settled as much as they could be for the moment, Douglas switched the topic to the Masque, which Ellen seemed pleased about. She pointed out that he would have a hard time hiding his identity. "Aye, tis easier if I dinnae open my big mooth." He agreed with a grin, not offended in the slightest. "I hae foond misdirection is my best tool; mak folk think I am abody else. Abody they want tae see." He said with a wink as he scraped the last of his pudding from his bowl. "Haps I weel see ye thair, if ye kin guess. Er I kin guess ye."+ He added, by way of a challenge. Ellen seemed to enjoy challenged and games, with those extra clues he suspected that she might pick him once she saw him, but there was only one way to find out. 

Subtitles
* "Cat and I have some bloody good fights, but we're family. Clan means a great deal to us Scots."
** " Perhaps it was because her father had passed. Or some quirk of French law."
*** "Well, I'm glad you have the freedom to choose your friends and associates."
+ "Yes, it's easier if I don't open my big mouth. I have found misdirection is my best tool; make people think I am somebody else. Somebody they want to see. Perhaps I will see you there, if you can guess. Or I can guess you. 

"Yes. Family is important."

"You are fortunate indeed to have such about you."

"It has shaped you well."

He seemed to enjoy the idea of confusing everyone too.

"Well that is what is intended is it not? To make everyone guess who others are?"

"Ah yes I understand  - a misdirection takes away from you and sends it towards another  - perhaps of your choosing?"

He then issued a challenge of sorts regarding each other's identities.

"I think I shall find you before you find me."

"There are few that have your height - unless you bring along some friends that are just as tall?"

"What misdirection that would create!"

"As for me, well, I shall say that it will be simple rather than ornate."

"Are we placing a wager here too?"

She teased him.

"After all yesterday was profitable and it may well carry forward!"

Had his family shaped him well? He didn't use to think so, but most of his anger and bitterness had really been directed against his father and stepmother, and only his sister by way of association. Things were very different now, and he was glad that he and the girls had each other. If nothing else it meant that Cat could retire to bed whilst under the weather and Douglas could look after the girls. "I cuid say the same fer ye." He replied. He knew that there was irritation there directed at her father and sister, but Douglas thought Ellen was a fine lady and clearly that came from somewhere. "Do ye think ye tak efter yer father er yer mither?"* He asked, curious. He had no chance to get to know her mother of course. 

The idea of confusing people with his costume was an entertaining one. Simply hiding didn't work very well as she pointed out, there were aspects of himself that he couldn't hide easily that were very distinctive. But misdirection could be very effective. "Aye, tis the idea." He confirmed. "If they're tae busy thinkin' I'm abody else, they're less likely tae suspect tis me."** Especially if it was somebody else they would really like to see. 

Ellen opined that she would find him before he found her, stating that she would keep her costume simple. Then she asked if they were wagering on this as well. "Ye alrairdy won fifteen poonds an' a poem frae me wuman! Whit else wuid ye hae o' me?"*** He asked with a laugh. The problem with betting against each other was that only one of them could win. 

Subtitles
* "I could say the same for you. Do you think you take after your father or your mother?" 
** "Yes, that's the idea. If they're too busy thinking I'm somebody else, they're less likely to suspect it's me."
*** "You already won fifteen pounds and a poem from me woman! What else would you have of me?"

She had to think a moment before she could answer him back. Just who did she most resemble?

"I would say my adaptability for figures and such my father."

She gave a little shake off her head as if not satisfied with that reply.

"My mother  ..... She was a soft creature and as such had the temperament but there were times when she was quite intimidating  ....... And I think I also have that."

"I am of an orderly mind from both if that were possible."

"My love of fabrics and fine things also from my mother. Although my father has a fine eye for certain objects and knows false from real."

"So I suppose I am a mix of both."

"I have not really thought on this before but now that you have put it to me I must think further."

He laughed as she suggested another wager and said had he not given her enough already?

"There is no reason to even wager."

"I was not thinking to have any advantage over you at all."

His humor to her bit of seriousness.

Even tho he had laughed maybe underneath he was put out by it. She did not know him well enough to think otherwise.

"Never mind. Just dismiss it and we shall enjoy seeing how quick the other is found."

To cover what she thinks is an awkwardness she took upon her glass drinking it down.

"I hope the weather holds."

"Sae yer the best o' both yer parents."* Douglas observed. True, she hadn't mentioned any disagreeable traits, well, depending on how one felt about strong, intelligent women. Douglas liked them. 

His response to her question regarding a wager had been meant to tease in turn, but she turned suddenly serious and it seemed that he had overdone it. Bugger. "Dinnae fret lassie, I didnae mean ocht by't." He assured her, feeling bad that the fun atmosphere had just evaporated like that. He supposed that, however comfortable he felt with her, they had still only just met and were yet getting to know one another. "I greatly enjoyed oor time yesterdae."**

He wondered whether she might be open to a little wager, or if he would be pushing things too far. One way to find out. "Tis a masque. Hou wuid ye feel aboot the ane who finds th'other first, claimin' a kiss frae the ane foond, whaur they choose?"*** Usually in such games it would be the lady's choice, and expected choices were the hand, the cheek or, if daring, the lips. 

Douglas's bowl was empty, and Ellen commented on the weather. Perhaps it was time to wrap things up. "I hope sae. A gentle autumn is a boon, specially fer those o' us whit spent a lot o' time oot o' doors." It also meant that there was less chance of snow in the passes north. "Thank ye fer a mos' enjoyable lunch, Ellen. I shall hope tae find ye first, at the Masque."+ He said with a wink, rising to his feet to help her from her chair. 

Subtitles
* So you're the best of both your parents.
** "Don't be upset girl, I didn't mean anything by it. I greatly enjoyed our time yesterday."
*** "It's a masque. How would you feel about the one who finds the other first, claiming a kiss from the one found, where  they choose?"
+ "I hope so. A gentle autumn is a boon, especially for those of us who spend a lot of time out of doors. Thank you for a most enjoyable lunch, Ellen. I shall hope to find you first, at the Masque."

How in the world did her child find all the ills in the world and pass them on to her while being perfectly fine?  Cat pondered this as she strode into Hen to find her brother and tell him the good news about Fiona's fate.  Dressed in day gown of Celtic blue satin, the Scot was looking much better than the last time her brother saw her.  With her hair up in an elaborate braid, she scanned the room looking for her sibling.  And being Douglas, he wasn't hard to spot.  She began to make her way over to him.

"Well if I am honest I did not add in my bad habits - you will see them in time anyway!"

""I suppose that as children we do take on things from both parents in that you are right."

He sought to assure her that he was not upset which brought a rather soft smile in response.

He then offered up his own wagering

"Well since there is a great margin for errors in naming the wrong persons your idea holds merit."

"And it can be any place the winner chooses ...... No changing the Rules after  ......"

"If you agree to that then I shall agree."

"Life around you is never going to be dull if this is any indication!"

Since they had both eaten enough it was time to leave without any awkwardness in sight.

He stood to assist her and from the corner of her eye she saw a Lady wearing a beautiful gown in blue and her trained eye saw at once it was fine and well cut.

She also was coming right towards them both.

"There is a Lady about to arrive and it must be You she knows for I have never seen her."

She leaned in to whisper to him. She would take her responses from him she decided.

just let it not be an embarrassment please  ...... no  lover who wishes to claim her property or start an argument .... 

Was her thought as she readied herself for a meeting.

Douglas laughed when Ellen assured him he would see her bad habits in time; that no doubt held true for both of them. At least they could be open and not pretend that such did not exist. 

Happily Ellen seemed open to his own suggestion of a wager. A kiss to be claimed was the kind of wager that no one really lost, and in a way he rather hoped that Ellen would spot him first. He'd like to see where she wanted to be kissed. "Tis a deal, an' aye, nae changin' the rules!"* He offered the lady his hand as a man might offer to another man to shake on a business deal. If Ellen enjoyed life not being dull then he could make it so!

Helping his companion from her seat Douglas had his attention on her but Ellen's gaze slid past his shoulder and she leaned closer as she rose, advising him that there was a lady approaching whom Ellen did not know. Douglas glanced quickly over his shoulder, noting the identity of the person with a touch of surprise, before turning back to Ellen. "Thain I mun intraeduce ye." He replied in an equal whisper, but with a smile. "Tis my sister."** He would in no way hide that he had been speaking with Ellen.

Once Ellen was on her feet Douglas turned and favoured his eldest sister with a smile. Thank God but she was looking better, she'd looked like something found drowned in the loch last time he'd seen her.

"Cat!" He called out to her with a broad smile. "Ach but tis guid tae see ye luikin' sae weel."*** He said, reaching out to take her hands for a moment. And she did look beautiful, he mused with an objective eye. Douglas himself was, for once, not wearing his Life Guard's uniform but rather his grey-blue ensemble with embroidery in black, grey and striking cobalt blue in an interlacing pattern reminiscent of Celtic knotwork. Their respective blue tones, matching their eyes, drew the eye to the similarities between the two siblings. 

"Alloo me tae intraeduce Mistress Ellen Doolittle, dochter o' Sir Cedric Doolittle an' sister-in-law o' Laird Melville." He gestured to his companion, whom he thought looked very fine, and thought even finer. The fact that she was Duncan's sister-in-law practically made her family already. "Mistress Ellen, this is my eldest sister Lairdy Catriona MacGregor, Doowager Coontess Alyth."+ There, that was all nice and formal, right?

Subtitles
* "It's a deal, and yes, no changing the rules!"
** "Then I must introduce you. It's my sister."
*** "Cat! Ah but it's good to see you looking so well."
+ "Allow me to introduce Mistress Ellen Doolittle, daughter of Sir Cedric Doolittle and sister-in-law of Lord Melville. Mistress Ellen, this is my eldest sister Lady Catriona MacGregor, Dowager Countess Alyth."

Cat noted the woman with Douglas, but the face didn't register as familiar, though there were similarities between her and Duncan's late wife.  She was intent on her brother, out of uniform and smiling at her.  As he took her hands, she went up slightly (as Douglas was way too tall, even for her) to buss his cheek before turning to his companion.  "It's lovely to meet you, Mistress Ellen.  I am sorry for the loss to your family.  Lord Melville is a dear friend to our family, so if you ever need anything, please feel free to reach out."  Then, as though it just occurred to her, Douglas in his good clothes with a single lady, she started.  "Oh, was I interrupting something important?  I do apologize.  I just have some news I need to share with my brother, but I can wait..."

Sister?

She released the breath she had not known she had been holding.

She turned at the introduction and smiled as she gave a little curtsey.

"Lady Alyth."

He introduced her as 'The Dowager Countess' which struck her as odd. She was hardly old enough to be that. She also did not took like she had a son old enough to marry.

She knew enough of how the Rank and File operated amongst the Peers so being a "Dowager" was when your oldest son married making his wife the Countess and you the Dowager. But perhaps things were different in Scotland in this as well? She could see that they were related now up close and that this Lady was also quite lovely to look at. She felt a bit out of place for a moment but then knew that her own dress was of fine fabrics and the cut was expert and fit her perfectly. She watched as they greeted each other and it was a display of affection that made her glad that Douglas was not as Alone as he had told her. Lady Alyth then extended sympathies over her sister's death.

"Thank You. I shall pass on your kind words to my father - I am sure they will bring him comfort."

"Lord Melville is indeed fortunate to have those about him to help."

She caught the moment that Lady Alyth took note of the situation - her brother and a woman alone together and hide a smile.

"No, please stay. We have finished our business."

"Good Luck with your wager Captain FitzJames."

She could not help herself in saying that as she gave another curtsey to them both and then made ready to leave.

It was an odd situation and it did feel a bit odd introducing someone as young as Catriona as a Dowager, but since Nessia MacGregor was the Countess Alyth, having inherited the title from her apparent father Adam MacGregor, as far as Douglas understood that made Catriona the Dowager. Which seemed ridiculous but there it was. In Douglas's mind Catriona should marry a Duke, if she could stand the idea of marrying a third time, and become a Duchess.

Catriona had a smile and words of commiseration for Ellen, along with an offer of assistance. It was as warm a welcome as he could wish, and Douglas appreciated her words, especially given recent discussions between himself and Ellen. Given the way Cat looked from one to the other, he didn't doubt that she would ask certain questions. Well and good, they had much they needed to talk about.

"Mistress Ellen an' I haed jus' finished."* Douglas echoed Ellen's words to Cat, bourne out by the evidence of the empty crockery on the table behind them.

He offered Ellen a polite bow in return to her curtsey, a half-smile curving his lips at her words. "Thank ye fer the comp'ny. Enjoy the rest o' yer dae, Mistress Ellen."** He replied politely, his blue gaze following her as she left.

Then he turned to Cat. "I wuid offer tae buy ye lunch but I ken ye wuidnae risk it here." He said quietly, well aware of his sister's allergy. "We shuid tawk. Do ye want tae gie oot, er cam up tae my room?"*** He asked, curious as to what news Catriona might have for him. He had plenty for her.

Subtitles
* "Mistress Ellen and I had just finished."
** "Thank you for the company. Enjoy the rest of your day, Mistress Ellen."
*** "I would offer to buy you lunch, but I know you wouldn't risk it here. We should talk. Do you want to go out, or come up to my room?"

Since the odd situation was her life of the past few years, Cat paid no mind.  She simply accepted she would not normally be addressed as the dowager, but if Dougie was trying to push buttons, she would ignore it.  That's what siblings did, especially the MacBain ones.  She was out of bed and feeling human again.  She simply replied, "Please do," to Ellen's mention of passing on her words to her father.  Cat inclined her head as the other woman bade them good day, murmuring her own farewells, but waited until the other lady was gone before she looked at her brother and raised her brow.  Oh, she had questions.  

"Let's take a walk.  I've been cooped up too long.  You know how cranky I get and it will feel good to get some fresh air."  She opted not to remark on the issue with the food at the Hen's toes.  It could be heard by passing waitstaff and no one NEEDED to know here because the food at home and the food at the castle would always exceed it.  And cooks in both kitchens were aware of her allergies.

Posted (edited)

Douglas wasn't pushing buttons, he was trying to be precise, so that when Catriona's fabulous Duke finally showed up, he wouldn't fail to sweep her off her feet on account of thinking she was married. A brother could dream on behalf of his sister, right?

"As ye wish."* Douglas replied easily, offering his sister his arm if she wished it so that they might make their way out of the Hen's Toes and take a perambulation in Windsor Town itself. The morning's mist had cleared to a fine autumn day, which to the two Highlanders felt positively balmy.

With court in session Windsor was busy and lively, and there was plenty to catch the attention as the pair strolled down the street. Douglas glanced around surreptitiously for the guards he expected and hoped Cat had with her. "Are ye weel recovered?"** Douglas asked solicitously, once they were on the move. Catriona was generally something of a force to be reckonned with and it took a lot to take his sister out.

"Sae whit's this news that ye hunted me doon tae tell me?"*** Douglas asked, curious that whatever it was apparently warranted Catriona coming to find him. He was pretty much guaranteed to show up at the house she had rented every day or so; even more so whilst she'd been recuperating and he'd been entertaining the girls. Hopefully it was something good. 

Subtitles
* "As you wish."
** "Are you well recovered?"

*** "So what's this news that you hunted me down to tell me?"

Cat took Douglas' arm as they left the Hen's.  When Douglas looked for her guards, two men pushed off from where they had been leaning, watching the entrance.  One met Douglas' eyes with a nod.  He would look familiar as he was often following as Cat's shadow.

Cat, meanwhile, walked with the confidence of a woman barely out of her teens.  "Aye, fully recovered.  I kept to my bed for one extra day, just to make certain, but I could stay still no longer."  She nodded at a vaguely familiar face as they walked.  

At the question, she grinned.  "I spoke with His Majesty before falling ill.  We discussed Fiona.  It is out of my hands now.  He's finding her a husband now."

Pleased to see that his sister hadn't ventured out without her guards, Douglas paid the two men no further mind but rather focused on Catriona as the pair walked arm in arm along the street that featured the Hen's Toes, and also, as it happened, the White. It was one of the more affluent streets of Windsor, not far from the castle itself.

"I'm glad tae hear't; I kept the girls as busy as I cuid whilk ye were doon." Douglas replied when Catriona assured him she was fully recovered, glad she'd had the time to do so. She looked very much her usual self but he wouldn't want her overdoing it if she wasn't one hundred percent yet. He snorted in amusement when she said she couldn't stay in bed any longer. "I cannae blame ye."* He commiserated; they both preferred action.

The Catriona delivered her news. Three days ago Douglas would have been delighted to hear that Fiona was no longer their problem; now however the solution was going to cause bigger problems. For a moment Douglas considered keeping the situation hidden from Catriona, but that would be the coward's road. She had to know, this had to be discussed, and the sooner the better. At least they were somewhere public; the chances of her trying to stab him were less.

Rather than cheering as Cat probably expected, Douglas drew a breath in through his teeth. "That's giein' tae mak thin's a wee bit complicated;" he observed, "sin Fiona an' I hae alrairdy foond her a man."** He revealed.

Subtitles
* "I'm glad to hear it; it kept the girls as busy as I could whilst you were down. I can't blame you."
** "That's going to make things a little bit complicated, since Fiona and I have already found her a man."

"And I do appreciate you taking care of them.  I have no doubt, without you, there would have been pure pandemonium."   Of course, if she had known that Douglas had been pimping out his little sister, Cat might not be so appreciative.  Luckily, she was in the dark.  For now.

Douglas' words had her steps falter for a moment before she kept moving.  "Oh? Tell me about this man."  Her voice was deceptively level, sounding even curious.  But for some reason, the happy words her brother spoke gave her a moment of dread.  If Fiona was involved with the plan and approved of it, Cat could only imagine the man to be absolutely horrid.  Her sister had issues with choosing suitable men.

Catriona's question sounded like simple curiosity, but Douglas had grown up with his sister and besides, he'd known this was going to be an interesting conversation.

When Douglas began he spoke quietly, not wanting any passers by to overhear them. "A lot haes happened whilk ye hae been indisposed." He said, hoping she'd bear with him. "On Wednesday abody shot at Fiona in the Great Park, an' wuid hae hit her haed her horse nae thrown her." He admitted quietly. "Melville foond her an' brouchtit her hame. She an' I haed a wee tawk on Thursdae, an' yesterday I put an end tae her stalker."* He laid out the timeline. That was one problem out of the way at least.

"Her stalker happened tae be the wife o' the man she's apparently been mistress tae since last Christmas." He paused a moment to let that sink in. "She kept it frae aw o' us." He acknowledged. "But I hae thocht afore noo that Fiona wuid mak a better mistress thain wife. She prefers it, an' t'weel benefit us aw. Haps she saw hou ye gained much frae bein' mistress tae His Majesty."** The big man shrugged. No doubt Fiona was oblivious to Catriona's reasons, but that didn't chance the current situation. Certainly Fiona seemed to enjoy the favours from her lover. 

Subtitles
* "A lot has happened whilst you have been indisposed. On Wednesday somebody shot at Fiona in the Great Park, and would have hit her had her horse not thrown her. Melville found her and brought her home. She and I had a little talk on Thursday, and yesterday I put an end to her stalker."
** "Her stalker happened to be the wife of the man she's apparently been mistress to since last Christmas. She kept it from all of us. But I have thought before now that Fiona would make a better mistress than a wife. She prefers it, and it will benefit us all. Perhaps she saw how you gained from being mistress to His Majesty."