JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Business over Lunch | Early Afternoon, Saturday 24th September, 1678

HENS TOES

Settled comfortably on the main street of the town of Windsor, High Street, the Hen's Toes is a neatly turned out establishment, clearly catering to a more well-mannered class of person than the local country folk. A Tudor facade gives way to a comfortable common room upon first entry, scattered with tables and chairs rather than the more rustic benches that might be found in the local tavern. A roaring hearth dominates the right side of the room, staving off the deep winter chill. A few comfortable chairs accompanied by small side tables offer best access to its warmth. Beside it, a flight of stairs leads up to the floors above, where the sparse but clean guest rooms are located. On the other side of the room, an inconspicuous doorway leads to a private dining room.

Behind the bar one might find either Mr Clarke, a middle aged, stocky man whose rugged demeanour hides his gregarious, jovial nature, or his wife, whose beady eyes keep close eye on all goings on within the establishment.

Douglas was feeling guilty. Normally he felt more like a bit player if not general furniture at court, but suddenly he was involved in multiple conversations with high ranking individuals as well as his duties. In the midst of all that, his promise to a lady had not been kept. It was a promise he had wanted to keep, and he had not broken it lightly, but his first duty was to the King. That wasn't normally something he regretted.

Ostensibly this was a business meeting, but Douglas had made the effort to reserve a table in a quieter corner away from the bar, and even arranged for a few available autumn flowers to be set on the table; cyclamen, snap dragons and crocus amongst them. He'd ordered a three course lunch, choosing dishes that were not too heavy, and he had a satchel beside his chair. Perhaps most unusually he wasn't wearing his uniform, but rather his grey-blue ensemble with embroidery in black, grey and striking cobalt blue that matched his eyes, in an interlacing pattern reminiscent of Celtic knotwork. He wanted to be clear that, this time, duty would not distract him. 

He found he was looking forward to this conversation with Ellen more than he had anticipated; assuming that she would forgive him and actually want to talk to him. 

She knew her way round Windsor Town well enough now so it was no trouble to arrive at the arranged time.

It was only yesterday that the two of them had been together and then he had left her alone not returning.

But she was true to herself and did not hold it against him so her manner would be as usual in greetings.

She entered and stood a moment then moving aside as people pressed in and out her gaze looking for him.

She finally asked a passing server and with a nod sent in the right direction.

"Captain FitzJames ..... Good Afternoon ..."

Said as she came to where he sat her gaze taking in the way things had been laid out. He had so it seemed made an effort.

"My how nice it all looks  ... I do like the flowers  ..."

She smiled down at him as she waited for him to stand. 

Her gown of copper-colored brocade with cream accents fit the surroundings perfectly.

He felt oddly ill at ease. It wouldn't be the first time he had met with a woman he'd probably offended and she'd even been quite polite about their brief meeting last Christmas when he'd probably had a little too much to drink. Fortunately it had been brief. Yesterday's meeting had not been brief, but it had been briefer than he wanted. He found his gaze drawn repeatedly towards the door, if often obscured by the patrons in this popular establishment.

Then suddenly, there she was, looking very find in a copper and cream gown that suited her colouring, making her way through the throng. Douglas politely rose to his feet. "Mistress Ellen, I'm pleased ye cuid join me."* He said earnestly, bowing in a way that was strictly too deep for their respective stations, a hand flourished out in front in case she might choose to give hers in turn for a chaste kiss of the fingers.

She liked the flowers. It had been worth the effort. "I haed hoped t'wuid be tae yer likin'."** He admitted, pulling a chair out for her himself. This wasn't the castle and the staff were accustomed to wealthy commoners, which perhaps suited both of them better than the airs and affectations of court.

Once Ellen was settled Douglas took his own chair, before folding his hands in front of him and offering Ellen a frank look. "Afore we tak business, I wanted tae apologise tae ye." He said bluntly. "I sayed I wuid return tae ye yesterdae, an' I didnae." He acknowledged. "Thair were concerns o'er His Majesty's safety, an' my duty mun allus be tae the Croon first, but that doesnae excuse the breakin' o' my word, which I regret. Can ye fergi' me?"***

And that was it, plain and simple. Sometimes his duty to the King did get in the way of other aspects of his life, he'd become somewhat accustomed to it, but there were still repercussions when it did. At the same time he was acutely aware that he occupied the positions he did specifically because of his duty to the Crown. 

Subtitles
* "Mistress Ellen, I'm pleased you could join me."
** "I had hoped it would be to your liking."
*** "Before we talk business, I wanted to apologise to you. I said I would return to you yesterday, and I didn't. There were concerns over His Majesty's safety, and my duty must always be to the Crown first, but that doesn't excuse the breaking of my word, which I regret. Can you forgive me?"

His hand outstretched and she placed hers briefly accepting his "salute" before she sat down.

He then proceeded to offer his explanation and apology without any embellishment.

She had been looking down at her hands resting in her lap as he spoke and when he finished she looked up meeting his gaze.

"Of course I shall accept. How could I not?"

She gave him a soft smile to back her words up.

"Duty to His Majesty is naturally the first priority and rightly so. I would never think to make you feel uncomfortable because of that."

"But I was rather worried that you might have run off with all the winnings  ....."

She teased bringing some lightness back into the conversation.

"Did we make a good showing?"

She forgave him. He had feared she might not. Some ladies would not, and he appreciated that she understood his priorities, as she took the care to elaborate. That was good because the King was his priority, as indeed it would be for any man at court, but Douglas especially so as an officer of the Life Guard. Perhaps Ellen felt something similar with her duties to her father's company. 

He smirked when she teased him about running off with her winnings. "Weel, I cuid a boucht ye a bigger bunch o' floowers." He replied, before fishing in a pocked and bringing out a velvet bag, which made a reassuring, heavy clink as he deposited it onto the table in front of her. It contained her fifteen pounds. "I did mak an extra bet on the King in the final, sae I'm up o'erall." Which was good because in letting her choose which boats they each bet on in the heats Ellen had earned herself a clean sweep. "I think t'cuid be sayed that we made a guid showin'."* He opined. 

"But I steel owe ye a poem." That had, after all, been the forfeit of the person who lost more heats. "An' I hoped ye micht accept a wee ochie as well."** He added, pulling a second pouch from his pocket and setting it beside the first. This one went click in a very different way, and proved to contain a pair of matched, decorative hair combs, the tines of silver and the decoration of carved mother of pearl shell shaped into flowers. 

No doubt she could buy finer things, her father had the money, but these came from Douglas's own estate, made from the shells of pearl mussels found in the stream that ran down to Aberdour Beach. 

Subtitles
* "Well, I could have bought you a bigger bunch of flowers. I did make an extra bet on the King in the final, so I'm up overall. I think you could say we made a good showing."
** "But I still owe you a poem. And I hoped you might accept a little something as well."

Her attempt at humor seemed to have worked for he then produced a pouch that held her winnings.

"So it would seem! We make a good pairing do we not Captain FitzJames - if ever we have the same opportunity shall we try again to Win?"

She was teasing and did not really expect him to actually agree with her. But it made for a nice thought.

"A yes a Poem  ..... Well there is no rush. Far better to take more time to do yourself more Credit."

He then set another pouch on the tabletop and said, so she thinks, that it was a gift  ....

Really that accent of his would prove a challenge!

"For me? Really?"

She looked across at him her eyes shinning in her pleasure. She opened and the pair of hair combs were revealed.

"Oh how lovely!"

She held them in the palm of her hands the light playing with the colors of the shell.

"Mother of Pearl and how delicate are the flowers. It must have been a trouble to find a matched pair."

"Thank You."

She might have even blushed a bit right then much to her chagrin.

"I shall treasure them always."

Said with sincerity as she saw them back into the pouch carefully with gentle hands. At some point they would make their way into the pocket set into the folds of her skirt there to rest safely.

Her gaze moved about the area then and she asked

"Do you think Lord Melville will come?"

We make a good pairing do we not Captain FitzJames...

Well, perhaps they did. "Sae lang as we dinnae bet agin each other."* He replied with a wink. Would he mind such adventures with Ellen again? Not at all. She'd proven excellent company. He'd come prepared to give her a poem, he had some half-formed lines floating around in his head that he was certain would come out as something sensible when he tried, but she said there was no rush. Perhaps it would be better to take the time and pen something with more thought behind it. 

Ellen sought to clarify that the second pouch was for her and Douglas nodded, watching as she drew the combs out and held them cupped in her hand. She seemed to genuinely enjoy them. "They're twa haes o' the same mussel." He explained when she said it must have been hard to find a pair that matched. "Pearl mussels grow in the streams o' northern Aberdeen. These er frae my land."** He'd found a local jeweller who could carve shell and had a few pins and combs made up from the biggest mussels which had been harvested in the hopes of finding a pearl. Waste not, want not. He smiled when she declared she would treasure them, and thought she looked quite fetching with a rose on each cheek. 

Would Melville join them? "I hae my doobts." Douglas admitted. "I sent him a letter, but he kens us both." Perhaps Douglas should have sent a letter to her father, but after Sir Cedric's previous rejection he was less inclined to do so. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission, besides this was a business meeting. "But if he daes..."*** the big man shrugged. Duncan was family to both of them, in different ways. Douglas had nothing to hide from him, but also had no intention of doing anything he might object to. He'd learned past lessons, and he'd seen certain needs met the previous night. 

The waiter appeared with a bottle of a fine French white wine and their entrée, a bowl each of a chicken broth with autumn greens and a barley cake floating in it.

Once their glasses were filled Douglas raised his. "Here's tae business." He said, since that was ostensibly why they were meeting. "I haed a verra int'restin' conversation this mornin' wi' the Ambassador frae Moscow." He began. 

Subtitles
* "So long as we don't bet against each other."
** "They're two halves of the same mussel. Pearl mussels grow in the streams of northern Aberdeen. These are from my land."
*** "I have my doubts. I sent him a letter, but he knows us both. But if he does..."
+ "Here's to business. I had a very interesting conversation this morning with the Ambassador from Moscow."

She had herself not reached out to her former brother-in-law knowing thinking it best to let Captain FitzJames do so. 

"Did you say the topic or just elude to it?"

"He still is  ..... Rather isolated and mourns my sister much."

"In this it might take time but that as it should be."

"But despite it I have to say that he must also see to his Business - he can not neglect it."

Wine made an appearance and glasses were poured and a salute offered.

"To Business."

She replied back.

"Russian Ambassador  ..... There is such a thing here?"

"I mean of course there must be Ambassadors sent from other Courts to His Majesty's."

"What is he like ..... I am curious about other lands ...."

"Are you going into Business with him as well?"

Posted (edited)

"I teltit Melville whaur we were tae meet an' why."* He said simply, having seen no reason to hide anything from him. After all, it had been Duncan who had encouraged Douglas to approach Sir Cedric in the first place, with the offer to wed Ellen. Perhaps if they could prove they were a good business pairing, the old man might even reconsider. 

Ellen's mind however was on Duncan and his recent suffering. "Aye, he cammed tae love yer sister verra much." Douglas said quietly. That much was obvious. "T'weel tak time. Both mysel' an' Catriona hae been supportin' him; if we kin gie him reason tae focus on business thain tis ano'er reason fer him tae think beyond his pain." Douglas wouldn't shy away from what Duncan was going through. "His wee lassie needs her father tae."** He added, something that he'd reminded Duncan of. Certainly the idea of Horizon Ventures expanding into Scottish ports was something that should interest Duncan. 

A toast was drunk, though Douglas was mindful of the vodka he'd drunk with the Ambassador earlier. He would enjoy this lunch with Ellen though. "He sayed he represents the Tsardom o' Russia, which I guess is thair 'kingdom'." Douglas said when Ellen asked about there being a Russian Ambassador. "But my kennin' o' thair politics isnae guid." He admitted. "T'wuid be interestin' tae learn more."*** Certainly the man represented significant power, given the number of troops he was hoping to hire.

What was he like? The memory was clear in Douglas's head despite the vodka. "He's taw like me, but broad, thou' some o' that is hou he dresses. He wears a big coat wi' expensive buttons, a verra different style frae here, t'gies aw the wa' tae the groond an' luiks verra warm. He's an old so'jer, an' a noble in thair system, like a Marquess. But did ye ken that thairs nae inheritin' titles? Thair born a noble, but beyond that they hae tae earn thair titles each throu' service."+ Which had impressed Douglas. There was a measure of that in England of course - how else had he become a Baron? - but the fact that in Russia there was no guarantee for a first son was very different. He rather liked the concept. 

Ellen asked if he was going into business with the Ambassador. "I'm assistin' him wi' a military request," he said briefly, "but we alsae spoke o' trade an' he was verra open tae oor factors tawkin' aboot Scottish guids sent tae Russia an' vice versa. 'Specially if I kin provide my ain boats."++ Which of course would be where Horizon Ventures would come in. 

"He also expressed a desire tae meet wi' yer father tae discuss trade," Douglas said plainly, "includin' fer Scottish wares which he sayed he hasnae been able tae source throu' meetin's wi' Basildon an' Kingston." So the man was already in discussion with competitors. "Do ye think ye micht be able tae arrange a time whin Sir Cedric wuid be available tae meet wi' th'Ambassador?"+++ He asked, hoping that Ellen might be able to arrange that side of the meeting. 

Subtitles
* "I told Melville where we were to meet and why."
** "Yes, he came to love your sister very much. It will take time. Both myself and Catriona have been supporting him; if we can give him reason to focus on business then it's another reason for him to think beyond his pain. His little girl needs her father too."
*** "He said he represents the Tsardom of Russia, which I guess is their kingdom. But my knowledge of their politics isn't good. It would be interesting to learn more."
+ "He's tall like me, but broad, though some of that is how he dresses. He wears a big coat with expensive buttons, a very different style from here, it goes all the way to the ground and looks very warm. He's an old soldier, and a noble in their system, like a Marquis. But did you know that there's no inheriting titles? They're born a noble, but beyond that htey have to earn their titles each through service."
++" I'm assisting him with a military request, but we also spoke of trade and he was very open to our factors talking about Scottish goods sent to Russia and vice verse. Especially if I can provide my own boats."
+++ "He also expressed a desire to meet with your father to discuss trade, including for Scottish wares which he said he hasn't been able to source through meetings with Basildon and Kingston. Do you think you might be able to arrange a time when Sir Cedric would be available to meet with the Ambassador?"

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

So there was doubt with him as well then? That did not bode well for what was wanting to be discussed.

"So then it shall be upon to Chance if he comes?"

"Well fine ...... Is there a reason that we two cannot discuss and exchange thoughts?"

"I mean the idea is yours after all and if we can reach some conclusion then I shall try to approach my father."

"But I can not guarantee that you will be seen or even listened to."

She listened with real interest as he described this Ambassador who might well be figured into what they both thought of as a good idea.

"So the first born son does not autonomically inherit? How odd."

"I wonder if daughters share the same fate as here - it will be no real surprise if told they do."

He then said that he indeed might have Business with them and she leaned a bit forward her voice lowered

"Do you think that Horizon Ventures will take up that offer?"

"The idea of trading between Countries is also a valid one."

"To trade goods and things that neither has is an opportunity not often come by."

"This, I think, might well change my father's perspective."

"A Scottish trade alliance and perhaps another with that Country?"

"Or will you keep what happens between you and this Ambassador private?"

"Money and lots of it are what matters. To all parties involved."

"So let me ask you ..... Just how are we to begin?"

Douglas cocked his head. "I thocht that ye wished tae discuss oor proposal first, thain approach Melville wi'it." He said, recalling that Ellen had been quite adamant on the subject whilst they were at the Yacht races. "Er did I misinterpret?" He queried with a half-smile, copying her phrasing from their initial discussion. "If we reach a conclusion thain let us approach Melville first, afore yer father."* That had been the original plan and Douglas still thought it was the best one. With Melville's backing they stood a much better chance; given the man's response to his previous letter, Douglas didn't think he stood a good chance of being listened to either. 

"I dinnae ken aboot inheritin' lands," Douglas admitted on the subject of Rus nobility, "but they dinnae inherit titles." Which in itself was interesting. "We didnae hae the chance tae discuss Russian lairdies."** Things had been kept strictly business. 

Ellen leaned forward conspiritorially and Douglas automatically did the same, lowering his voice. "Aye, he seemed int'rested in finished guids like soap, broadcloth an' uisge, an' Scotland haes imported grain frae the Rus states in the past." He explained. "Ye sell it tae the uisge makers in guid years, an' hungry people in bad ones."*** Good and bad meaning the weather and the harvests.

So, Ellen wanted to know how they started. "I was thinkin' that I cuid rent a warehoose in Aberdeen an' seek the Russian factors fer produce specifics, then hire Horizon Ventures tae carry the guids. If't gies weel, yer father shuid see the benefit o' the route." And hopefully be interested in investing in it. "Whit do ye think?"+

"Yes of course I remember."

"I am just, well, over eager for this to become a Benefit."

"I am sorry."

Said suitably remorseful.

He then explained that in his opinion the Ambassador was indeed interested and so they would begin there.

She nodded at his suggestion to renting a warehouse for housing and then delivery of goods that were agreed upon.

"Have you funds enough?"

Asked not because she thought he had no money but rather from a Business standpoint.

"If we are to do this properly then I too must contribute."

"I have monies of my own. My late Mother left me an income that I have not touched. And I think she would be pleased to see me use it for my benefit alone."

"Not my father's."

"Even if I am to remain only a 'silent partner' I would not feel right to have just you or Lord Melville shoulder that."

She was very serious in her words. She knew about profits and loss and ventures gained and lost just as well as a man might. Perhaps even better.

"If you succeed and Lord Melville joins hands then that is when you go to my father."

"He would be a fool not to see the bigger picture. After all the clock ticks forward now and he has no son to inherit."

"But I can not promise or offer any guarantees that he will join - I hold little worth to him now so it seems - but in the dark I am fully supportive and am prepared to do what I need to."

"And if my father goes against then so be it."

"It is his loss and Our gain."

She hoped it would to go in that direction. Her father was a keen businessman and not one to let an opportunity for money escape.

"Nae at aw." Douglas assured Ellen, not wanting her to feel bad about being eager. "I'm as keen as ye tae see this succeed."* He was just a little confused that she seemed to have changed her mind. But then that was supposed to be a lady's prerogative, but he had wondered whether, just maybe, her desire for them to meet alone first had not been entirely business. He woudn't have minded that.

Ellen didn't seem to blink at his initial suggestion, before asking about his funding and then offering her own contribution, which he had not been expecting at all. He was also surprised at what she told him; not only that her mother had left her an income but that the lady in question might well be pleased it she used it for something purely for herself. 

Douglas's bowl of chicken broth grew gradually lower as he listened to Ellen express her concerns. "I dinnae want ye tae be a 'silent partner'." Douglas said firmly in response to her words. "Yer kennin' o' trade is tae me more valuable thain ony funds ye micht bring tae the venture, though I wilnae refuse th'offer." He said bluntly. "But I want ye tae use whit ye ken tae bring this venture success. I'm jus' yer factor."** He said, echoing his words the previous day with a smirk, having no qualms about letting Ellen utilise her expertise.

On the subject of his funds, "I hae enou' tae hire the warehoose an' amass a ship's worth o' guids." Though it wasn't a risk he could stand to take twice. "I think the Rus shuid be oor final destination, but if ye ken guids that we kin trade alang the wa' an' ports tae visit, we kin tak a variety o' Scottish guids an' stop at several ports." With the final destination being that agreed with the Russian factor, and the goods agreed upon. It would give them more robustness against mishap than if they took only one or two goods to one port and relied upon getting a guid price. "Whit do ye think?"*** He asked, valuing Ellen's opinion and hoping that she would tell him if she thought he had the wrong idea. 

"The key weel be hirin' a ship, which is whaur I'm hopin' Melville an' yer father weel be on board." He acknowledged. "An' I wuid rather hae Melville on board first; I fear yer father didnae respond tae my ane letter tae him verra weel." He admitted, though refrained from saying what the subject of that letter had been, assuming that Ellen didn't know. "But time moves on as ye say. Yer father michtnae hae a son, but he cuid hae grandsons tae pass his business ontae, an' that is worth workin' fer."+ Assuming he let his two other daughters marry. Poor Ophelia would not be having any now. Ellen assured him that Sir Cedric's eye was always on the profit though, so if they could show him they could turn one, surely he would be on board.

"Still, haps the Russian Ambassador hissel' micht be able tae sway yer father tae do a run east. He's verra keen tae meet wi' him, he sayed."++ He added, recalling Pyotr's distinct interest in doing so. 

Subtitles
* "Not at all. I'm as keen as you to see this succeed."
** "I don't want you to be a 'silent partner'. Your knowledge of trade is to me more valuable than any funds you might bring to the venture, though I won't refuse the offer. But I want you to use what you know to bring this venture success. I'm just your factor."
*** "I have enough to hire the warehouse and amass a ship's worth of goods. I think the Rus should be our final destination, but if you know goods that we can trade along the way and ports to visit, we can take a variety of Scottish goods and stop at several ports. What do you think?"
+ "The key will be hiring a ship, which is where I'm hoping Melville and your father will be on board. And I would rather have Melville on board first; I fear your father didn't respond to my one letter to him very well. But time moves on as you say. Your father might not have a son, but he could have grandsons to pass his business onto, and that is worth working for."
++ "Still, perhaps the Russian Ambassador himself might be able to sway your father to do a run east. He's very keen to meet with him, he said."

So it seemed that her thoughts on remaining behind the scenes were not in line with his. He noted her experiences with Trade which pleased her on a personal note.

He also took no offense at her offering of monies.

'Do not discredit yourself by making use of that word. You are far more than that."

"So you will base this ship out of Aberdeen then? What about other harbors?'

"I know little of them save for the Port of Dundee which imports timber and Greenrock which is famous for its herring."

"My father has had business with some suppliers from both but I have not." 

"You are the knowledgable one regarding other Ports up there and so I would trust your judgement."

"There must be many things that can be traded between our Countries but the 'trick' will be to find things that we do not have or are unusual."

"And vice versa."

"But there is an impediment that must be faced first."

"The Muscovy Company lost its foothold some eighteen years ago and it is now the Dutch that hold sway in Trade."

"They have less of an attachment to silver than we English so they hold the majority of imports there."

"This Ambassador that you spoke of wants things I am sure that will not go thru the usual trade routes  ....."

"And what does he offer in return I wonder?"

"We must think on this issue first do you not think before you set about getting a warehouse and ship?"

"Will this Ambassador provide a safe access for our Ship and goods if it comes to that?"

"Will you meet with him again?"

It was a good question. "Aberdeen is my nearest town, sae seems a guid place fer me tae start." He said simply. "Tis whaur I kin easily gather guids tae, fer a run o'erseas." Whilst balancing his other duties. "Dun Eidin - sorreh, Edinburgh - haes a verra guid harbour but weel charge accordin'ly. Inverkeithin', on the north side o' the Firth, has a smaw harbour, an' weel be cheaper. Thairs plenty o' wee toons, some wi' harbours er rivers, aw alang the Aberdeenshire coast." He thought about her question. "Rosehearty is Dundarg's closest village an't haes a wee cove; Fraserburgh is the nearest toon an' haes a bayside lee."* Was Ellen suggesting that it might be better to base a boat out of one of the smaller townships close to him? It would certainly be cheaper. 

He was glad that Ellen was asking these questions; she was making him think. Douglas would have been ready to just buy a warehouse and start stuffing it with things. "I s'pose the question is; hou do we want tae trade? Do we visit the smaw ports, buy up local guids, an' ship thaim sooth tae London er o'erseas, er do we tak on large loads at the main ports an' head abroad." And he wasn't certain what the answer was. "Thairs lots o' fishin' aw up an' doon th'coast. Alsae sealin', wi' furs an' oil production. The usual livestock an' grain. We cuid do ocht as simple as buyin' produce an' sellin't at the big ports, thain takin' manufactured guids back."** He pointed out. He'd had grand thoughts about trading all the way to Russia, but was wondering whether it was better to start simple. Where would the profit be found?

Then Ellen threw another stick into the carriage wheel. "He sayed tae speak wi' the Russian trade factors. I kin arsk him fer an' intraeduction." He said. That would be the simplest, just ask what they would be after. "I guess the question o' safe access is ocht tae speir. I was the ane wha brocht up the subject o' trade wi' Russia, thinkin' o' oor plans." He admitted. He'd thought it would be quite the coup to bring that to Ellen, and her father.  "Are ye thinkin' tis best tae start more modestly?"*** He asked. Perhaps simply bringing the less accessible Scottish good to port would be a way to begin. Not everything had to go overseas. 

"I dare sae I weel meet wi' th'Ambassador again, thou' haps not this season. But I weel write tae him. Whit he wants, I'm nae certain, but tisnae nocht. He sayed he spoke wi' Killington an' Kingston, an' wished tae speak wi' yer father, but he wuidnae sae whit aboot."+ That was really all Douglas could tell Ellen about the Russian's motives. 

The subject of how they might begin their Scottish trade venture was growing larger and more complex, and Douglas was feeling a bit lost after all the variables that had been introduced. "Yer the ane wi' experience in this business lassie. Whit wuid ye think wuid be the best wa' tae git started in Scotland? Shall we sail tae the smaw harbours, sell thaim soap, tobacco an' candles, an' bring back grain, fish, meat an' hides tae London?"++ That could perhaps be simplest. 

Subtitles
* "Aberdeen is my nearest, so seems a good place for me to start. It's where I can easily gather goods to, for a run overseas. Edinburgh has a very good harbour but will charge accordingly. Inverkeithing, on the north side of the Firth, has a small harbour and will be cheaper. There's plenty of small downs, some with harbours or rivers, all along the Aberdeenshire coast. "Rosehearty is Dundarg's closest village and it has a little cove; Fraserburgh is the nearest town and has a bayside lee."
** "I suppose the question is; how do we want to trade? Do we visit the small ports, buy up local goods and ship them south to London or overseas, or do we take on large loads at the main ports and head abroad. There's lots of fishing up and down the coast. Also sealing, with furs and oil production. The usual livestock and grain. We could do something as simple as buying produce and selling it at the big ports, then taking manufactured goods back."
*** "He said to speak with the Russian trade factors. I can ask him for an introduction. I guess the question of safe access is something to ask. I was the one who brought up the subject of trade with Russia, thinking of our plans. Are you thinking it's best to start more modestly?
+ "I dare say I will meet with the Ambassador again, though perhaps not this season. But I will write to him. What he wants, I'm not certain, but it isn't nothing. He said he spoke with Killington and Kingston, and wished to speak with your father, but wouldn't say what about."
++ "You're the one with experience in this business girl. What would you think would be the best way to get started in Scotland? Shall we sail to the small harbours, sell them soap, tobacco and candles, and bring back grain, fish, meat and hides to London?

She listened intently as he described each place and listed the benefits.

"Do you think it is wiser to have a safe harbor - a place that a ship can shelter from a storm for example as well as have some securities against thievery?"

"Or just moor in Aberdeen harbor for example? Makes sense to be within range of the warehouse ......"

"How do we want to trade  ..... "

"Well we are not competition for any of the larger companies, at least not yet, so maybe it would be best to 'test the waters' so to speak?"

"What if you were to send a few men there - to those places you have described - and mark down what is needed or can be sold - that way we can start to balance and see correctly just where profits can be made."

"For example - any of those places will have no need of soap or candles as the woman living there will make them. Tobacco yes. Cloth as well - but not wool. Too common already. How many keep sheep up there?"

"Cloth that is not readily available but suitable for the conditions yet can please a woman's fancy. India cottons that are block printed or stamped as well as solid colors; Silks have no purpose in those places save for the big cities."

"Wool brought to London is not profitable. We can not compete against the Yorkshire Mills that produce it. But it might well prove a good item to export out - fine wools that are soft for clothing, shawls  ....."

"Studier wools for clothing that would fit a frozen climate for both women and men." 

"As for trading - salt, silk, pepper, and Chinese tea are items sought after."

She then spoke of this Russian Ambassador 

"Well the Muscovy Company WAS the Trade representatives. There are none now between that country and England. Privateers run ships as well as Companies and trade where they can."

"If this Gentleman wants to trade then he will have to tell you just how that will be managed."

"I am not willing to risk your life nor any man's to satisfy another's wants. Or a Business."

"The fact that he sought out others means he wants business  ..... My father was included?"

This was a surprise.

"Well he will weight profit and loss and what moves others. But he will not side with us over the other. He will try to play both sides."

She then asked about the ship itself

"About the ship - have you one already planned? And what type of ship will it be?"

"A ship - any ship - must fight on occasion."

"So will you look for a great stout ship that is broad and high, heavy and slow, which would make her hard to maneuver and too top heavy for safety."

"Or will you seek a Frigate - swift and nimble, unencumbered effectively but not too heavily armed. One that is built lower to the water than a great ship with decks more flush."

"A three - four masted ship with her length in relation to beam ...... Rather length versus width?"

She was fully aware that she was tossing him into the deep end but he MUST understand and know that they needed to see eye to eye.

Plus she wanted to know just how knowledgeable he was.

There were so many questions. Not that Douglas faulted Ellen for them at all, it was plain this his vision of trade was terribly simplistic and she was simply presenting him the realities of such a venture. He appreciated it, even if it was making his head spin. This was why he had mentioned it to her in the first place, because she had the experience needed to avoid making the kind of mistakes and assumptions that her careful wording hinted at. 

Still, Douglas took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment, then stared into his soup for a few more whilst he marshalled his thoughts, before he tried to reply. 

"Th'Russian Ambassador mentioned trade factors, sae they mun exist. But trade wi' th'east is a long-term goal. Lets leave it fer noo an' I weel continue tae gather infermation on that front."* He decided. Better to keep things simple to start with. Douglas had felt terribly impressed with himself, bringing that possibility to the table, but clearly it needed further planning and thought.

Where did that leave them, and what did they want? Douglas wanted to make money, of course, and no doubt Ellen did too. He'd thought to offer a trade route to her father's company, but it rather sounded as though Ellen wanted to form her own business; perhaps she felt she had something to prove? To the men in the industry, or to her father? Anything else? He wanted to open the north of Scotland up for trade, rather than just exploitations. He might currently be living in border country but Douglas was a Highlander and terribly proud of his homeland. 

Some towns would have sheep, some have cattle, and those would make tallow and have soap and candles. Fishing villages wouldn't, but they could buy from one and sell to the other. Lochaber had wood, the Highlands had good building stone - there was even good granite in Dundarg. Bales of wool could be traded down the coast and manufactured cloth back up, though of course many village wives would do their own spinning and weaving but Scottish wool was course stuff. Linen and cotton cloth he suspected they could sell. Salt was made everywhere along the coast but little luxuries like spices and drink were always in demand. "Yer idea o' sendin' men alang the coast tae see whit's on offer an' whit is needed is a verra guid ane; lets start thair whilk we git thin's organised."** Douglas said. Once they knew what was needed and what was on offer they could decide what to buy and sell.

As for boats, well, they needed to suit the nature of the trade. "A Frigate is tae big tae start wi'." He opined. "Aberdeen is the last big toon north; efter that is smaller toons an' villages, ye wilnae git a frigate intae hae o' thair river berths." He pointed out. "A guid boat wi' a followin' wind kin sail frae Edinburgh tae Aberdeen in a dae." He knew that because he'd done it recently on the Kelpie. "T'weel be ano'er dae tae Inverness, ano'er tae John o' Groats, an' sae on. An' that's wi'oot stoppin' tae trade." So it wasn't great distances they were talking about. "Here's my thocht fer a lang term plan. If we arenae tae hire a boat frae yer father," which had been his original idea, "we luik fer a brigandine. Ye kin arm thaim, an' they hae a guid sized hauld." They were a two-masted ship with a full swell hull, sometimes referred to in the Navy as a brig. They were often used to transport bulky goods such as coal and grain, which meant they were sturdy in construction and could carry quantity, but they were also used as naval vessels. "We start up an' doon the coast wi' the brigantine; takin' manufactured guids north an' bringin' resources sooth. Eventually we open a second an' third warehoose, a day's sail apart. We run a smaller boat out o' each alang the nearby coast, an' use a larger ane like a frigate tae move thin's atween warehooses an' tae the southern markets.*** That was assuming that they were making enough profit that they could afford to have multiple buildings and the people to staff both those and the boats. 

That was the hope, the thing to aim for, but they had to start at the beginning. "But ane boat first. If we find we hae more guids thain one brigandine kin handle, we buy a second. But I think tis best tae start modest, rather thain o'erinvestin'." They both had funds but Douglas didn't personally have a lot to spare and although Ellen spoke of her mother's bequest he didn't count on that being excessive either. Best they not invest more than they could stand to lose. They still had to hire sailors and warehousemen. Like the Russian regiments, he hoped that the venture would bring funds north through employment. "Whit do ye think?"+

"An' aye, th'Russian Ambassador sayed he wrote tae yer father fer tae meet, but didnae git a reply." Douglas recalled since Ellen had asked. "He seemed terribly keen tae hae that meetin', an' speirdit whither I cuid arrange't, when I telt him I was meetin' wi' a business associate o' his."++ He said with a wink. He meant Ellen, of course. 

Subtitles
* "The Russian Ambassador mentioned trade factors, so they must exist. But trade with the east is a long term goal. Lets leave it for now and I will continue to gather information on that front."
** "Your idea of sending men along the coast to see what's on offer and what is needed is a very good one; lets start there whilst we get things organised."
*** "A frigate is too big to start with. Aberdeen is the last big town north; after that is smaller towns and villages, you won't get a frigate into have of their river berths. A good boat with a following wind can sail from Edinburgh to Aberdeen in a day. It will be another day to Inverness, another to John o' Groats, and so on. And that's without stopping to trade. Here's my thoughts for a long term plan. If we aren't to hire a boat from your father, we look for a brigandine. You can arm them, and they have a good sized hold. We start up and down the coast with the Brigantine; taking manufactured goods north and bringing resources south. Eventually we open a second and third warehouse, a day's sail apart. We run a smaller boat out of each alang the nearby coast, an' use a larger one like a frigate to move things between warehouses and to the southern markets."
+ "But one boat first. If we find we have more goods than one brigandine can handle, we buy a second. But I think it's best to start modest, rather than overinvest. What do you think?"
++ "And yes, the Russian Ambassador said he wrote to your father for a meeting, but didn't get a reply. He seemed terribly keen to have that meeting, and asked whether I could arrange it, when I told him I was meeting a business associate of his."

He suggested that they set aside the idea of Trading into Russia at least for now. 

"I agree. It might well set back the entire operation if too much is tried at the start.."

She then realized that that was what he had intended from the beginning.

The involvement with the Russian regarding possible trade was a separate dealing especially now that she understood that several other men as well as the possibility of her own father joining.

"In my .... eagerness ...... at the proposition presented I foolishly got further ahead. It is just that for once I am being taken seriously."

"So I thank you for that."

He also thought her idea of a searching out mission was acceptable as well.

"You will obviously know best for that is where you are from. There is no point in me trying to guess what is needed based on my father's business."

"He trades along many areas while we want to focus on just one."

He then set her straight on his knowledge of ships.

After he finished she gave a small smile looking down at her hands then back up to him.

"You are indeed well versed Captain FitzJames. You have chosen what fits exactly right."

"A Brigantine has two masts, and easier to maneuver as opposed to a bigger vessel. Swift and easy to handle and still holding a good amount of cargo."

"It is also can be used for narrower waterways and tight spots that a bigger ship could not do."

"Very well. Select your ship when you are ready."

"And if a second is needed, well, the monies will be there."

"And next you have to find a crew  ......."

"The warehouse - have you found one or can I help there?"

"I might have a connection or two that you can make use of. I will give your name to them."

"It will be you that also handles the transactions after all so your name must be the responsible one."

"So this Russian wrote to my father but received no reply? How odd. I saw no such letter come in but then my father hardly tells me much these days."

"So he needs an introduction? Well make use of me. I am quite willing to meet but do you think he will say once he sees I am not a man?"

"Again that is your private business with him. If you are approached then you can offer a meeting."

She looked back at him with some amusement.

"What trickery we are employing but if it all helps to start this Enterprise it matters not."

She raised her glass a little saying

"Here's to a successful venture. May we meet with nothing but good outcomes."

"And to Lord Melville thinking it so as well."

Douglas held up a placating hand when Ellen suggested she had been over-eager about the possible trade arrangement. "I git excited aboot the Russians tae." He assured her. A bit too excited at the prospect. They would both have to be careful not to get ahead of themselves in their eagerness for their new enterprise. "I promise I weel allus tak ye seriously, Mistress Ellen."* And he meant it. Especially when it came to their business venture. 

Despite Douglas's more in-depth knowledge of Scotland, he felt that Ellen's experience through her father's business was invaluable. "I ken Scotland aye, but ye wuid hae a better idea whit guids er worth sailin' doon tae London wi'." He pointed out. Were there things produced up north that would fetch a better price in London than in Edinburgh? And what might they take north to sell that could be had more cheaply in the capital? "We want tae trade wi'in Scotland, but alsae tak Scottish guids whaur they're needed, I think. Jus' England an' haps Ireland tae start wi'."** They might want a bigger boat to got to the continent. But that was the ultimate goal, in his mind. 

The Brigantine met with Ellen's approval. Douglas didn't have a great deal of knowledge about boats but he'd seen both frigates and brigantines during his time in the Regiment du Dumbarton. "I weel see whit ships er fer sale once coort recesses. I kin check the big ports on the road north, unless ye ken a guid place tae git ane." He wasn't expecting a new boat. Something strong and seaworthy was all he required. "I hear that ye find the Captain, an' empoower him tae find his crew." Assuming you picked the right man, you got a good, cohesive team. That was the theory. "If she isnae armed, we weel hae tae arm her."*** All of which would cost money. 

As for the warehouse. "Nae yet." He said, as Ellen likely expected. They'd only begun to hatch this plot yesterday. "I wuid be glad o' yer connections."+ Douglas certainly felt no shame in using them. He'd come to the view that anything that gave him an advantage was a good thing.

Douglas nodded when Ellen asked if the Russian had written to her father. "Sae he says." He confirmed, before making a slight moue of discomfort when Ellen big him make use of her. "He was verra specific aboot ainly wantin' tae meet yer father." He explained. "Unless ye ken a time yer father weel be willin', I weel likely hae tae speak tae him m'sel." He acknowledged. "Which I hae tae do onyroad, once we've spoken wi' Melville."++ Unless she was no longer thinking that they needed to involve her father's company. That was there the idea had started but things seemed to have evolved from them. And he was comfortable with that, he just wanted to be sure that she was. 

Still, he own slight of phrase seemed to amuse her. "We do whit's necessary." He acknowledged. "As ye sae, I weel hae tae handle th'transactions, leastways till folk ken us. But sin' yer addin' yer monies tae the venture, we shuid hae a contract atween us, makin' clear we're partners in this." He specified. Douglas had no intention of trying to cheat Ellen, but he wanted to be certain that, should anything happen to him, there was no possibility that she would lose out. "I 'spect ye ken more aboot business contracts thain I do."+++ He suggested. 

Their soup bowls were cleared away and the main course of a plowman's lunch with fresh bread, cold cuts, a wedge of sharp, crumbly cheese, a pot of farmhouse pate and another of chutney was set before them, and the waitress automatically topped up their glasses. Like Ellen, Douglas was feeling optimistic. "Tae oor success an' guid fortune."~ He echoed with a smile. 

Now they just needed to convince Melville and then her father. 

Subtitles
* "I got excited about the Russians too. I promise I will always take you seriously, Mistress Ellen."
** "I know Scotland yes, but you would have a better idea what goods are worth sailing down to London with. We want to trade within Scotland, but also take Scottish goods where they're needed, I think. Just England and perhaps Ireland to start with."
*** "I will see what ships are for sale once court recesses. I can check the big ports on the road north, unless you know a good place to get one. I hear that you find the Captain, and empower him to find the crew. If she isn't armed, we will have to arm her."
+ "Not yet. I would be glad of your connections."
++ "He was very specific about only wanting to meet your father. Unless you know a time your father will be willing, I will likely have to speak to him myself. Which I have to do anyway, once we've spoken with Melville."
+++ "We do what's necessary. As you say, I will have to handle the transactions, at least until people know us. But since you're adding your monies to the venture, we should have a contract between us, making clear we're partners in this. I expect you know more about business contracts than I do."
~ "To our success and good fortune."

She pinked a bit at his words but she was happy that he saw her not just for her sex but as someone who had things to offer.

"Once we have those reports back then we can sit and come up with a good plan as to what is best trade wise."

"I know that such places will be found and I think it also to our advantage to have things that some other Traders might not have."

He spoke of looking for a ship during Recess and that made sense. She knew that finding a ship that was specific to what they needs were might take time.

Again he was proving his worth by taking the lead. She knew about ships but was also aware of that Male-Pride and so would-be careful not to tread on it.

"Very well. Over Recess I will look thru papers and records and come up with what I hope will be some good prospects for a warehouse." 

"Surely a few can be found and are willing to do business as well."

He reemphasized that the Russian Ambassador wanted to meet her father and so she understood.

"Well that is as it should be after all. Yes seek him out yourself either in person or by note."

"And Lord Melville will expect my father to be included."

He then spoke of contracts between them.

"I agree. Business is Business. And we should keep it that way."

"Whatever is personal is not relevant although it will figure into everything."

"Shall I have our Lawyer draw one up or shall we two just keep it simple and word it ourselves and then sign?"

He returned her toast adding in disown wishes.

If there was one thing that Douglas had learned in his time at court when sometimes it seemed like every person wanted to look down on him and shut him out, it was to make the most of the opportunities that did present themselves to him. In Ellen he saw an untapped and unappreciated ability and font of knowledge, and he knew all too well what that felt like himself. In her he saw a very willing opportunity; no doubt she saw the same in him. Together, he felt, they could be more than each on their own. That mutual respect was a good place to start a business, and he had every intention of treating her as a full business partner. 

It had been her idea after all to take stock of their possible destinations first, and see what might be traded. "Yer richt; if we kin find a niche guid tae bring sooth, that wuid help oor business." He agreed. "I weel use local lads as scoots, folk weel be more open wi' thaim."* And the money he paid them would stay in Scotland. That was the start. Over recess Douglas would begin to look for a ship, and Ellen would see what she could come up with regarding warehouses. They each had their respective tasks.

When Ellen stated that the Ambassador preferring to meet her father was as it should be, Douglas shook his head. "I didnae tell him yer a wuman; he didnae wish tae meet wi' Melville either."** Whatever it was, clearly the man had decided that it was something only the head of the company should know about. Which was curious. 

How formal did they want their contract to be? "I wuid say yer Lawyer, tae mak sure tis aw legal. But hou do ye feel aboot yer father haps bein' privvy tae't?" He asked. Did Ellen want her father to know her involvement in this enterprise? To what extent? "Alternately, I kin engage a lawyer whit isnae associated wi' yer father's business."*** He did know one, even if they tended to have issues with mutual incomprehension. But as long as they kept things simple...

"Business is business." He agreed. "But haein' a mutual respect atween parties is a guid basis fer a business."+ And he felt they had that. Was there more? Might there be in time? Well, if there was, then as Ellen said, that was not relevant to business. But it certainly wasn't mutually exclusive. 

"Weel, we hae oor plan in place. The next step is tae discuss't wi' Melville tae see whit he thinks." He observed. Hopefully Duncan would be on board. "Wuid ye like tae be part o' that conversation, er shall I speak wi' Melville m'sel?"++ He asked, happy to involve Ellen if she wanted, happy to take the lead if she preferred. She knew a different Duncan to the one he did, he suspected, but he didn't doubt that every facet of Duncan was a good one. He was a good man. 

Subtitles
* "You're right; if we can find a niche good to bring south, that would help our business. I will use local men as scouts, people will be more open with them."
** "I didn't tell him you're a woman; he didn't wish to meet with Melville either."
*** "I would say your Lawyer, to make sure it's all legal. But how do you feel about your father perhaps being privvy to it? Alternatively, I can engage a lawyer who isn't associated with your father's business."
+ "Business is business. But having a mutual respect between parties is a good basis for a business."
++ "Well, we have our plan in place. The next step is to discuss with Melville to see what he thinks. Would you like to be part of that conversation, or shall I speak with Melville myself?"

"I wonder why he does not want to see Lord Melville? Do you think that might have some meaning?"

"Perhaps I am reading too much into it. It could be any number of reasons."

"Unless this Ambassador wants to make deals under the table and thinks my father will oblige?"

"And in that he just might be right."

She shook her head a bit adding

"But it is not our concern for the moment.."

He asked about a lawyer and her father.

"I shall be honest with you - I am uncomfortable with my father being a part of this."

"Will he set aside his dislike for me or will this Venture only make him more determined to 'keep me in my place'?"

"He was unforgiving of my attempt at expanding the business when he lay dying and that knot has yet to be untied in his heart."

"But I will do as you want. If you want him involved then he shall be."

"Besides I am still under his control legally. He has the right to cast me aside and retain just You and Melville if he wants."

"I just do not want to create problems before we even begin."

She looked down at her hands some of the excitement having gone out of her.

"As for Melville  ..." She said quietly. "I would like to be present but he too might not want me. Even tho he knows my worth."

It was an interesting question. "I think th'Ambassador wishes tae speak wi' the heid o' the comp'ny." He said bluntly. "But whither that is due tae status er cause he thinks yer father kin help him wi' ocht specific..."* the big man shrugged his rangy shoulders. That one he couldn't answer. No doubt time would tell. Under the table deals were possible, though perhaps more likely were legitimate but quiet ones. Douglas didn't know and right now he didn't see reason to care, save in the possibility of the Russian owing him a favour. He was far more interested in their own proposed business venture.

Ellen's admission caught Douglas by surprise, though in a way he appreciated that she felt she could be so frank with him. "Is he really that angry o'er ye work wi' the business whilk he was ill?"** Douglas asked, thinking it odd and a very difficult situation for her. If she did well... but then he knew how most nobles felt about women doing things beyond looking pretty and raising babies; there was no reason for commoners to be any different. And Ellen made a good point; her father was still her guardian. Which meant she had not yet reached her majority. They did not want to offend him and have him deny her the liberties to which she was accustomed. It was an awkward situation and Douglas felt for her, knowing himself all too well how it felt to try to do good and be punished for it. All for 'stepping beyond one's bounds'. Well, he'd learned over time that there were ways around such boundaries, if one were prepared to be creative. And he was. Going into partnership with a woman was a good start. 

The big man rubbed his jaw thoughtfully for a long moment. "Hou aboot this thain?" He began. "We keep this venture atween us; oor ain comp'ny. I weel find a lawyer tae draw up a guid, legal contract; I dinnae want ye tae loose oot if ocht happens tae me." Which, lets face it, was always a possibility. Douglas didn't live a low-risk life. "Ye cam wi' me tae speak wi' Melville, an' I weel speak wi' yer father. Sae far as either o' thaim ken, I speirdit ye fer advice afore approachin' thaim." Which in his eyes was still a sensible move. "If ye want tae tell Melville more, that is up tae ye. We kin allus see hou he responds."*** He pointed out. They could start describing the venture and see what he said. 

"Sae, the question thain is, whit shall we caw oor little venture?" He asked, since it seemed they were to form their own company. "Heelan' Tradin?"+ He suggested, perhaps not with the greatest of imagination but it did what it said on the box. 

Helping himself to some of the bread, cheese and chutney, Douglas took a satisfied bite. This conversation had gone very well indeed, and he felt he had an ally in Ellen whom he could rely on. He hoped she felt the same. 

Subtitles
* "I think the Ambassador wishes to speak with the head of the company. But whether that is due to status or because he thinks your father can help him with something specific..."
** "Is he really that angry over your work with the business whilst he was ill?"
*** "How about this then? We keep this venture between us; our own company. I will find a lawyer to draw up a good, legal contract; I don't want you to loose out if something happens to me. You come with me to speak with Melville, and I will speak with your father. So far as either of them know, I asked you for advice before approaching them. If you want to tell Melville more, that is up to you. We can always see how he responds."
+ "So, the question then is, what shall we call our little venture? Highland Trading?"

"That makes sense I suppose."

She said regarding the Ambassador and her father.

"I guess we shall just have to wait and see what occurs."

"But what if my father agrees and a deal is arranged - do you think my father will still have an interest in us?"

The question was then asked of her about naming.

"Highland Trading ....... "

She thought for a moment

"Yes I like this. And it states exactly what is being done."

"I think you already had this in mind! But it is much better than naming her with some woman's name."

(Was she referring to her own or was it that it would have annoyed her if he had indeed picked out a name. No doubt a lover's she thought.)

"And I think that it is best if we keep this between ourselves and Lord Melville - if he joins."

"My fathers lawyer can still be used but I would not feel confident that he would not inform my father."

"If you know any then let us do that."

His reasonings made perfect sense - she was involved wholly, he would reach out to her father. So no need to even mention her own involvement unless it had to be done. And she would be there with Melville.

She broke off a piece of cheese and gave a happy sigh. 

"It would seem Captain FitzJames that we are now joined together."

She smiled across the table at him. 

Douglas was quite sanguine about the Ambassador's interest in Horizon Ventures and Sir Cedric in particular, but then he wasn't related to the man. Either he'd find out in time, or he wouldn't.

Still, Ellen was concerned that might affect what they were doing. "I think - I hope - that the twa willnae interfere wi' each othair. Efter aw, Moscow is a lang wa' frae Scotland."* Douglas observed. And really, two very different markets.

"Regardless, whilk I first thocht tae promote a trade route tae yer father, t'rather seems that we hae engaged tae foond a trade comp'ny o' oor ain. Sae we arenae limited in wha we kin work wi'."** If Sir Cedric wasn't interested in the north of Scotland, perhaps others would be, or perhaps they simply worked out their own trade routes. Time would tell, but with Ellen's expertise then he felt the options were much more open. He hadn't expected her to jump on board the idea like she had. Perhaps she'd simply seen an opportunity to do what she wanted. 

At least she approved of the name, though Douglas snorted in amusement when she accused him of having it prepared. "Lassie, I wasnae e'en plannin' on startin' oor ain comp'ny this morning, but that seems tae be whaur we're headin'." And he didn't object to that. In fact, it might be preferable to being reliant on Sir Cedric; he could meet the man on his own terms. "Sae I weel find a lawyer m'sel, an' ye kin luik o'er the contract."*** He promised her. Since Ellen seemed to think that her father knowing of her involvement would set the man against them, which seemed odd to Douglas's mind but perhaps Sir Cedric preferred demure, obedient women. Douglas found them boring.

A thought suddenly occurred to him. Had he completely misinterpreted Sir Cedric's response to his letter asking for Ellen's hand? Might the man, in offering him Natalie, have actually offered him the favoured daughter? Well, even if he had, the outcome was the same. Natalie would bore him to tears or annoy him, he didn't doubt. 

As Ellen declared them now joined together in what were obviously happy tones, he smiled in turn. "Aye, sae we er." He agreed. "I hope ye wilnae came tae regret that."+ He added dryly, noting that they'd gone from a possible trade route to a trading company at her instigation. Did she have other plans? After all, Sir Cedric had a reputation for trying to offer his daughters to any noble, with Ellen repeatedly rejected. Did she have her own agenda? Douglas thought that he would not mind if she did, so long as he did not get her father off side. Or perhaps he was reading far too much into things and Ellen was simply pleased at the opportunity to enter into the kind of trading endeavour that her father had held her back from. 

Lets see what Melville thinks of all this.

(OOC: Thank you! Would you like to finish, chat further or see if Melville would like to join us?)

Subtitles
* "I think - I hope - that the two won't interfere with each other. After all, Moscow is a long way from Scotland."
** "Regardless, whilst I first thought to promote a trade route to your father, it rather seems that we have engaged to found a trade company of our own. So we aren't limited in who we can work with."
*** "Girl, I wasn't even planning on starting our own company this morning, but that seems to be where we're heading. So I will find a lawyer myself, and you can look over the contract."
+ "Yes, so we are. I hope you won't come to regret that."

"Indeed they are but my father has an eye for Profits after all .... "

"So yes for now let us not dwell on what may or may not happen."

"There is much that we have to do. And a time may come that we both are inclined to include my father."

She gave a small laugh at his frank statement about starting a Company.

"Well I am the same but we have in name agreed and there too you are right - the choice to include others or to trade is indeed ours to make."

She took a long drink of her wine and then indicated she wanted more.

"An association with you Captain FitzJames is not something I expect to be sorry about."

"Indeed I suspect we shall butt heads and even argue and perhaps shout at each other at times but that is the way a Business works."

"As long as we have Trust and Respect then we are bound to prosper!"

She would clink her glass to his once more and then they might further discuss more plans and ideas  ......

If Lord Melville should happen upon then he would be welcome but she did not think he would by this point.)

It was true. If they founded a trade company of their own then they worked with others on their own terms. That was the positive side. The negative was that the risk was all theirs to own and if the venture failed then they lost all that they invested. So it had best not fail. Douglas was determined however, and felt that with his knowledge of the Highlands, Ellen's experience in the business of trade, and his new connection to the Duke of Lauderdale, they were at least playing with a full hand and likely with some advantages others had not. 

Filling Ellen's glass for her as she indicated she'd like more wine, Douglas then topped off his own and gave a brief, almost shy smile when she assured him that she did not expect to regret an association with him. It was an odd looking expression on the big man, but her sentiment wasn't one he was accustomed to hearing. Her next words suggested that she wasn't viewing the association through rose coloured glass either. He snorted in amusement. "Atimes a guid row clears th'air, sae long as naebody says ocht they weel regret." He acknowledged. The Scots were known as hot blooded people and he and Cat had resolved issues on several occasions by shouting at each other. "As ye sae, trust an' respect as a basis, an' I gie ye my word on that."* He promised, lifting his own glass to clink against hers, blue eyes meeting hers squarely. 

Ellen wasn't what he had expected, and that wasn't a bad thing. Perhaps he'd become far too accustomed to noble-born ladies and their more retiring ways, or perhaps that was simply Ellen. She knew what she wanted in life, she was forthright about it, and she got frustrated when others tried to put her back in her place. God but didn't that sound familiar. He could relate to her struggles; her as a woman in business, him as a bastard at court. Both always pushed away, told to mind their place and that they couldn't achieve what those around them could. Both determined to do it anyway. Melville, you devious sod, you could have told me. Perhaps in some ways it was better that he and Ellen met on these terms.

It did make him curious about her though. Spreading some pate on a piece of bread, Douglas gave her a thoughtful glance. "Sae whin yer nae winnin' bets an' makin' business deals wi' bastard Scotsmen, whit do ye enjoy doin' wi' yer time?"** He asked. What made Ellen tick, or was she all business? 

(OOC: revived as agreed!)

Subtitles
* "Sometimes a good fight clears the air, so long as nobody says something they will regret. As you say, trust and respect as a basis, and I give you my word on that."
** "So when you're not winning bets and making deals with bastard Scotsmen, what do you enjoy doing with your time?"

He insisted that he would never not respect or trust her. She would have to wait and see.

Things should have concluded but then he asked her an unrelated question asking about her personal life.

She frowned across at him at his usage of that word to describe himself. She understood the reasonings behind it however but would not comment.

"I rarely bet." She gave a small shake of her head. "But yesterday was Special so I took a risk and it paid off."

"As for how I spend my time ..... " A little shrug of her shoulder. "In the usual manner. I keep my father's house. I oversee the servants. Keep accounts."

"Mind my younger sister and try to keep her out of harms way. She is a dreamer and as such is naive and far too trusting."

"My father barters her looks over her mind - But I think he cares for her in his own way and I know that he plans to have her inherit."

"My lady mother told me before she died. She knew of his plans. I suppose the is why she left me what she did.  Oh I will inherit something but the bulk goes to Natalie."

"I am surprised that you have not been approached - just about every man about Court has - or so it seems."

"Do you suppose he has talked to Lord Melville about marrying her? Do you know?"

She gave him a wide-eyed look as that thought crossed her mind.

"Of heavens above. I hope he has not. How awkward will that make things." 

Douglas was curious about Ellen. Apart from frustration over her father and the ways of conducting the trader's business, what went on in her head? He told himself that it was important to understand one's business partner, so that they might work well together. 

He noted her frown when he described himself as a bastard. It wasn't pleasant but it was the truth, and he thought she'd better get used to it. He didn't use the term often but others did. It didn't hurt as much as it once had. But rather than commenting she revealed that she was rarely a gambler, instead saying that yesterday she'd taken a risk, which had paid off. For a moment Douglas wondered whether she was talking about the money, or him. Perhaps both. One might suggest the sentiment could go both ways. 

Other than that, it seemed that Ellen had taken over the role of her mother when she'd passed, keeping her father's house and minding her sister. And minding his business when he was ill, though apparently he wasn't so appreciative. Did he take Ellen for granted? Or did she feel that he did? The admission seemed to open a flood gate on the subject of her sister Natalie, and rather than interrupt Douglas listened silently, letting Ellen vent, possessed of his full attention.

Her father favoured Natalie - that was news to him. He'd assumed the man had favoured Ellen. And her mother knew and perhaps did not approve, but made sure that Ellen would inherit from her as well as something from her father. Still, one dark brow rose when Ellen revealed that Natalie would inherit her father's Empire. That was... unexpected. 

She expressed surprise that her father hadn't approached him, and Douglas fought to keep a straight face. If only you knew lassie. Still, perhaps she should know some of it. "He did." The Scotsman revealed after swallowing his suddenly dry mouthful. "Thou' he didnae say ocht aboot an inheritance." He admitted. Perhaps Sir Cedric would have if Douglas had accepted his invitation to dinner. Had Douglas fucked up and missed out on a fortune? Probably. It wouldn't be the first time nor likely the last. His reasons for doing so stood however, and it would be obvious that nothing had come of the offer. "I wuid hae assumed that thin's wuid be split equally atween the three o' ye."* He said. Or even the business arm go to Ellen, given her obvious aptitude. The tone of surprise in his voice was genuine. 

Would he have spoken to Melville? "If he hasnae, I'm sure tis ainly a matter o' time." Douglas observed. It would be a logical thing for Sir Cedric to do, and Duncan must think about marrying at some point. "Yer worried cause Melville is still in mournin'?"** He asked. How long ago had Ophelia died? Douglas didn't know the answer to that one. A man must wait at least a month, a lady a year. How long would Duncan want to wait?

Subtitles
* "He did. Though he didn't say anything about an inheritance. I would have assumed that things would be split equally between the three of you."
** "If he hasn't, I'm sure it's only a matter of time. You're worried because Melville is still in mourning?"

He said that he had indeed been approached by her father and that made her look away from him for a moment.

She felt embarrassed yet again for it. But determined to not give in she looked back saying

"Of course it wouldn't be mentioned but whoever marries Natalie inherits his Business as well as fortune."

"Why are you surprised? She is after all his Princess and thus he will sell her only to the man that also brings worth to his Company."

"So Lord Melville or Lord Kingston or even you Captain FitzJames will be set."

"You were denied your request then?"

She left unsaid that she referred to Natalie. She was judging him unfairly she knew but it stung knowing that he sought her out for second place.

"As for his monies ..... I have said it already. I will get something but the bulk goes to Natalie."

"That is why he shops for a strong husband that will not be swayed by her looks when it comes to money."

"And he needs a man with experience when it comes to taking over for him."

"Besides my sister has no head for Business of any kind. She only appreciates what it BUYS. She does have her interests but they are in no way profound."

He agreed that Melville would be approached.

"No surprise there. And now I must suffer more awkwardness when we meet."

"But if I think logically he will not marry her or I - Ophelia was his world and we can never compete."

"Will he think on it? Of course. But in the end he will marry an outsider and keep his controlling shares in the Company."

"Am I worried  .... No. He can marry anytime now without any stigma to follow him ....but he is far from ready to."

She gave a sigh and took a longer drink of her wine.

Then asked

"Can we change the subject? Please."

"Or perhaps we might leave and go somewhere else  ...."