JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Renewing An Acquaintance | Saturday morning

ORANGERY

The great glass windows supported in their metal frames let in the weak winter sun whilst keeping out the brisk breezes, lending a luxurious warmth to the outdoor-indoor space that was the orangery. The air was moist as well as warm, the great orange trees in their large pots carefully tended so that they would produce their treasure-trove of exotic fruit in the summer, unhindered by lack of water or blight of frost. A few orange flowers lent an exotic citrus scent to the air.

Between the great pots, stone benches were set so that courtiers might come and enjoy the sunshine without the need to brave the outdoors, and in the centre was a statue of a nymph and two sets of wrought iron tables, painted white, with matching chairs, that one might sit and take tea and enjoy the ambiance of the orangery.

The orangery was one of Sophia’s favorite places at Windsor. She had discovered it soon after she arrived in England and was accustomed to the climate of Venice. Even after nearly two years, she had not completely adapted to the weather, and the warmth of the sun reflecting through the glass as well as the sweet scent of the air always comforted her.

This morning she had decided to sketch a bush of bright flowers she had noticed during her last visit. She would have preferred to set up her easel but it was getting difficult to paint. The petite Countess preferred to stand when she painted and her legs began to ache if she was on her feet for more than a half hour at a time. Drawing was also more calming and if you made a mistake, you could just turn a page in your sketchbook and start over. If she liked her work, she could  paint it later, maybe when she was in confinement after the baby was born.

The little one kicked her energetically every now and then, perhaps wanting to make its presence known. As if I can ever forget you, she whispered to it in her mind. Even if I have to give you up. Sophia knew that placing her child with another family was a very real possibility if Henry was the father. Hopefully, she would get to visit it often. She also wondered if she would be able to love the child that she would have to pretend was her own.

Approaching footsteps interrupted her sorrowful thoughts, and she was thankful for it. She looked up, wondering who else had decided to visit the orangery today.

She had not gone to watch her husband Race the day before.

For the past few weeks she had been feeling not herself and had thought she might be breeding but that had proven a false Hope.  Today she was at her leisure with just a few ladies to attend as the rest had been sent off to enjoy the day. This was a thing almost never to be had and for her it was a precious thing and one not to be willed away by staying cooped up her apartments. The Orangery had always been a place she favored - she had a fondness for some of the plants grown especially the Pineapple - and so it was to that she now found herself enjoying her solitude. That a maid and a guard followed at a discreet distance was a given but not something that bothered. She was too long accustomed to the presence of servants.

She was quietly strolling when she caught some movement from the corner of one eye  ..... was someone else also here  ........

Going closer she would see that it was Lady Toledo engrossed in her sketching. She had not had any contact since the previous Christmas when she had come to deliver a note rather than Churchill delivering it. They had had some conversation at that time and if she remembered correctly she had been suspicious of Lady Toledo and she had expressed some things that she hoped the other had taken to heart. She knew that being the wife of an foreign Ambassador to this Court was difficult - there was like as not no other wife amongst the many Ambassadors that were sent to England so no chances to have another of her sex to reach out to. Added into the mix was the level of distrust from Courtiers which was a real thing for many believed, and rightly so, that a wife aided her husband in searching out secrets and information that would be related back to whatever Home Country  ...... It was not an easy job and made more difficult given the age of Lady Toledo.

Her pale apricot taffeta skirts rustled making her presence known to the other

"Lady Toledo  .... I see you have the good sense to remain indoors and not venture out."

She would wave aside any expectations of Lady Toledo getting up to curtsey by adding

"No Formalities please."

The guard would quickly arrange a chair for her to sit in without any fuss and her lady would see her settled then they would move off some distance away within sight.

"What do you sketch   ......"

The lady who approached her was one of the last people Sophia had expected to see but one whom she most wished to speak to. She had not forgotten their meeting during the Christmas season.  The Duchess of York had given her excellent advice on the implications of politics in general and her own position in particular. She had been suspicious of her at first, but they had parted amicably.

Sophia began to rise, dreading having to make yet another painful curtsy. The Duchess must have known how she felt, for she bid her not to observe the usual formalities. The blonde Countess' gratefulness was probably apparent in her smile. “I know that I must be very careful now, Your Grace. This place has always been a haven for me. It reminds me of the warmth and beauty of Italy.” Did the Duchess of York feel the same, she wondered?

After she sat down, Sophia held out her sketchbook. At the moment, the drawing consisted of an outline of the bush and a few minor details on the blooms. “I think these flowers are particularly lovely,” she said. “I noticed them on a previous visit and came back today to sketch them.”

She wondered if the Duchess would take the book and look at her other drawings too. “It’s been quite some time since we’ve spoken to each other. I trust that you have been well?”

She arranged her skirts to her satisfaction and returns the others' smile.

"I remember all too well the last month or so of waiting. Any extra comforts are very appreciated. I remember that too!"

"Italy?"

She looked off into the distance for a moment before speaking

"Many times I think I have forgotten much of there. England is so different as you know. But it is now my Home and so perhaps tis only natural."

She looked at what was being sketched.

"You have many Talents indeed Lady Toledo  ...."

She would wait for Lady Toledo to offer her the chance to look thru what was already done.

"As to how I have been - well enough I suppose. No illness or impediments are a good thing  ...."

That her gaze might have lingered on the belly of Lady Toledo was something that she would try very much to not allow to be seen.

"How much longer before you go to Confinement? Have you everything you need?"

"You must tell me if you require anything . ......"

The offer was made spur of the moment and she had surprised herself.

She best take care to think more before speaking.

Sophia glanced down at her baby mountain. It was much too large to be called a bump anymore. She knew that the Duchess had a young daughter and so had experience with pregnancy. “It’s quite exhausting. I was delighted to carry this child until recently. I reveled in every minute of it. Now I wish that it was born already. There are so many things I took for granted which has become difficult for me.” She chuckled. “Like walking.”

Perhaps she should not have mentioned Italy. The way the other lady looked into the distance made Sophia think that she might be homesick. “They’re like two different worlds. I only lived in Venice for four years, but I still miss it. I hope to visit it again someday.” Sophia wondered if the Duchess was able to visit her family occasionally. Perhaps when you married into royalty, you had to leave your own country forever. She didn’t think she would have a problem staying in Spain if she married her beloved Prince because she would get to be with him. Spain was much warmer than England.  And she could go with him when he traveled.

“Thank you, Your Grace.” She offered the Duchess her sketchbook. “If you wish, you can look through my other sketches. If you find something you like, you can have it. I can even create a painting of it if you wish.” Sophia didn’t have nearly as much confidence in her art as she did in her singing, but she felt that she was adept enough to show her work to others now.

“I am pleased to hear that,” she replied. She had hoped that the Duchess might be pregnant too. Of course, she would want to give her husband an heir. “I hope the Duke is well too.” Actually, she didn’t care if he had the pox and was expected to die tomorrow, but it was polite to ask. That comment he had made nearly two years ago still irritated her.

Sophia smiled when the Duchess glanced at her belly. “I will go into confinement in a few weeks. I used to dread it, but now I look forward to it.” As long as her instructions were followed. There would be no darkness, boarded up windows, or stale air. Her attendants would be required to bathe daily.  And everything would be extremely clean.

“I have everything I need, I think. Except knowledge. I’m not sure what to expect. My lady mother passed away when I was three. I have no sisters and most of my friends are unmarried.” She shrugged. “Maybe ignorance is a blessing when it comes to childbirth.”

She had to smile at her own memories.

"I remember how anxious I was until the fifth month was finally reached and I was now 'officially' with child * ...... Praying so much that the child would be healthy and grow day by day."

"And then in just a few months being like you are now anxious to be done yet anxious of what lay ahead and that trip to Hell we must endure to have a baby."

"I would like to hope that one day I might return to Italy but, well, it is not really a matter that I have control over."

"You have indeed been fortunate Lady Toledo to have had so many opportunities not usual awarded to those of our sex."

It was not a criticism rather a statement of Fact.

The offer was the made to look at other things sketched and she remarked on several as she turned pages. She came across one of several flowers in a vase saying how she liked it.

"His Grace is well. You attended the Races yesterday yes? Did you win anything?"

"I heard that the Margrave beat my husband but that was to be expected after all."

She brushed at some imaginary thing on her skirts.

"One never escapes from Politics."

Lady Toledo then spoke of her coming confinement and seemed well prepared.

"You must not say things like that - for no matter how much you think you have made ready it will never be as you planned."

"Have you been bombarded with all sorts of things? So many of what I must either do or not do that I could not remember half."

"Having what I ate scrutinized - sour for a boy spicy for a girl; having no animals about me in case the child might be frightened  ...."

"The lists were endless."

"Have you a good midwife then? That is of most importance. If you are worried I will be happy to see that several are sent over for you to look at."

"But you must educate yourself Lady Toledo. And check that what is needed is in supply. Do not think that those Ladies you take into confinement know everything."

"Who have you chosen if I may ask?" 

"Hopefully Lord Toledo has some married female relations that will attend?"

"Or married ladies of your own acquaintance?"

"How lucky you are. I had no say who was put in with me. Being York's wife made it so."

"I had twelve in with me and over half held me in no great esteem."

"I still remember and will never forget. And when next it happens I will not be shy in speaking my mind!"

She caught herself again as she rattled on about the subject at hand.

It would be of no real interest to Lady Toledo anyway.

*(It was believed that the quickening marked the moment that a soul entered the fetus, termed ensoulment thus a human being, at the fifth month and the pregnancy would then be openly acknowledged.)

The Duchess of York seemed to have fond memories of her pregnancy. That she could smile about it made Sophia wonder if childbirth was really as horrible as she had heard. It was different for everyone, of course. Perhaps the Duchess had had an easy time of it, even if she did refer to labor as a trip to hell. She fervently hoped that she would be one of those lucky ladies whose ordeal was brief and without complications.

“I do a lot of praying too,” she confessed. “It helps to ease my anxiety. I know that God will be with me.” She prayed every evening before she went to bed and even sometimes when she woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare. After her father’s death, she had quit believing in God, but now her faith was stronger than it had ever been. Sometimes she wondered if the decision to convert to Catholicism had anything to do with it. Maybe she had been meant to be Catholic all along. She had even consulted Esteban's priest a few times.

The life of a Princess was more restricted than that of a noble girl, but Sophia had been given opportunities that other nobles could only dream of. Her father had allowed her to stay in Venice because the wife of a friend had offered to give her the feminine guidance she should have gotten from her own mother. Since they owned opera houses, they’d had no problem with her studying that art form along with her regular lessons. 

“Perhaps, but that is over now that I am married to the Spanish Ambassador. If I step out of line, it reflects poorly on him.” The same standards were applicable to the wife of the Duke of York, so she was certain that the Duchess understood.

Her royal companion complimented one sketch in particular. It was one of Sophia’s favorites too. “It is yours, Your Grace. You can take it with you now, if you’d like.” Her sketchbook was a portfolio containing loose drawings instead of being bound in the pages of a book.

“Yes, I went to the races. Her Majesty invited me to sit with her so I had a good view. I bet on the King and won a modest amount. I thought His Grace did quite well. The Margrave did not win by much.” Of course it had all been about politics, Sophia realized. The King wanted to court favor with the Germans and that was why the Margrave had won and raced the monarch in the last heat.

She felt uncharacteristically sorry for the Duke. He was once second in line to the throne. Now he was not nearly as important as he once was now that a newborn baby had taken his place. She contemplated whether or not he had been told to lose. Or if he had done so because he knew it was what the King expected. Maybe he wasn’t so bad after all.

“My position has taught me about how politics affects everything one does. I am no longer a simple German courtier but a representative of Spain.” Just as the Duchess was more English now that Italian. Neither of them looked like the inhabitants of the kingdoms they had married into either.

“Well, my lying-in chamber is ready at least, except that I might want a painting on the ceiling above my bed. Perhaps a peaceful scene from the Bible that will comfort me. Failing that, I will have some tapestries or paintings where I can see them.”

Sophia chuckled when the Duchess mentioned all the superstitions she was supposed to remember and act upon. She had never heard  the sour and spicy one. Her beloved fish sauce was salty. What did that mean? As for animals, she had her own menagerie, but knew it was not wise to have them in the room with her during her confinement. “There are so many of them, aren’t there? I shall try to adhere to them all, for they certainly can’t hurt. Lady Frances Cavendish gave me some gifts and a list that I must live by. Other friends and even strangers have advised me on necessary precautions as well.”

She nodded. “I have chosen a midwife already. She comes with excellent recommendations and definitely knows what she’s doing. But I would still appreciate your suggestions. It’s always good to have a backup if something comes up and she can’t be with me. I am still in the process of deciding which ladies I want with me,” she lied. There would be no attendants but the midwife if she had her way. “I must make a choice soon, for I will be going into confinement in a few weeks. My lord husband has not told me that any of his relatives are coming from Spain. His sister lives with us but she is not yet married."

Sophia couldn’t imagine having strangers with her during such a grueling experience. And since her child would be in line for the throne, the Duchess had probably had an audience watching her give birth. How awful that must have been! “I hope you will be able to choose your own attendants next time. Perhaps some of your relatives can come from Modena, if it would please you. I suppose I am lucky that I won’t have to deal with ladies who don’t approve of me.”

She lowered her voice. “Do you know of anything that I can do to make the birthing process easier? All the stories I have been told are beyond horrifying.”

The Duchess knew of course that Lady Toledo would have had to convert but had she actually done so?

A number of Catholic Peers had 'converted' but that was just to save Estates and Titles and most practiced in secret in some form or another and attended Anglican services as required by the King.

"It is good that you have God in your thoughts especially now."

"Lord Toledo has given you use of a priest then and you confess?"

She fished a bit wanting to know how things stood.

She had not seen Lady Toledo in Chapel at all even tho she made herself much seen in Public.

Pregnancy was no excuse for not attending on a Saturday and Sunday.

She was 'gifted' the sketch she had admired and she quietly offered her thanks for it.

She had not said her liking with the expectation of it being given - it was just that people felt the need to do just that simply because of who she was - and that had made for many an uncomfortable moment.

She accepted the sketch and within moments her maid appeared and it was taken away carefully.

She had wagered and even won so it seemed on the yacht races.

"Well extra monies is always a good thing is it not!"

She watched Lady Toledo carefully as she then voiced how she had changed and was now wiser in the ways of Politics.

"I am glad to hear it."

"Your thoughts are much changed since last we spoke."

"It is not an easy thing to give up one's Nationality."

"I know from experience. Italian to English. You German to Spanish."

"But it is the Duty of a wife to help ease her husband's burdens and to make his Household a secure and comforting place."

"Mind you it does not always work that way."

She offered no reasons as to the why's.

"Paint the ceiling? But I do not understand this?"

"You will be either sitting in a birthing chair or lying down bearing with all your might to push your child forth."

"There will be no time to look up at a painted ceiling!"

"But perhaps you are speaking of the time before birth then?"

"Your rooms will be lit by candles only no matter day or night so you would not see it clearly anyway."

"As to what to do .... you seem to have ideas of your own  ... Perhaps it is the German side of you."

"That last month is to be taken in quiet contemplation, Prayer, and needlework. To do more is to risk the child's safety."

The Duchess was saying what every Catholic soon to be mother knew. 

"A midwife that is older is preferable. And you must find out how many deliveries went bad and the child dies as well as how many mothers."

"This is important."

She leaned a bit forward in her speaking lowering her tone.

"Send someone in your household that you trust to look into the one who have engaged."

"Find out who else sent for her services afore you."

"If you find her unacceptable send me word and I shall ensure that one is sent to you on my recommendation."

"As to your Ladies ....."

She thought a moment before answering.

"Well since you are here at Windsor and not London the number will be reduced but there should be at least three to four."

"They will need to swear that they saw you delivered of your child - and Lord Toledo being an Ambassador will like as not demand it for his reputation."

"He is after all a representative of the Spanish King and therefore can not afford any gossip or stories about the birth of his child."

"This too is part of being the wives of important men like our husbands."

"Think of who amongst your married friends would be the most suitable. Best if they have children but as I say here at Windsor even one not long married would suffice."

"Even a Widow would be allowed."

"You can not ask any unmarried girl or woman to attend. It is not acceptable."

"But choose wisely for you must all be cooped up together and as I have said I had no say and was in misery from sarcasm, sour looks and mistreatments."

She shook her head at the asked question.

"In that I can not help you. Babies are born in the same ways but the getting of them and then surviving is a task that we women must endure alone."

"Pray to the Blessed Virgin and to God to see you safely delivered Lady Toledo."

"In Them only can put your trust."

"That is why I said it is a trip to Hell and back."

She had said enough on this and returned to her normal sitting position.

"I shall send you a rosary that has been Blessed by His Holiness for you to use."

"This will bring you much comfort I am sure."

Enough had been said of this subject and so she now changed the topic.

"There is much speculation so I have been told in regards to the Masque and to costumes and such ....."

She opened her small wood fan and gently sent it swaying the scent of Sandlewood a lite accompaniment

Oblivious to the terribly serious conversation going on between the two married ladies, Eleanor had had Mary bring her embroidery things to the Orangery so that she might sit in the warmth. She was working on some of the silk veil she was carefully edging and embroidering with silver passing thread in a delicate whip stitch, tracing fanciful curves and curls upon the fabric like wisps of mist in the morning light. 

She hoped Uncle Henry would like what she had done with his outfit, and with her own. She'd worked hard between her social engagements and was determined to have this finished for the evening. Meanwhile the glasshouse with it's heady scent of orange blossoms provided a pleasant place to work. 

(OOC: I hope you don't mind me popping Eleanor in here.)

“Lord Toledo brought a priest with him from Spain who conducts services and preforms other duties.” Sophia smiled. “I was never very devout, but that has changed slowly but surely. As you know, I was raised Protestant, but now that I have embraced the Catholic faith, I have become more pious. I feel much closer to God and find myself pondering spiritual matters and reading the Bible more often than I used to. It’s hard to explain, but I feel as if I am where I was always meant to be.”

The Duchess of York accepted her sketch and gave it to a maid, who took it away as if It was a precious object rather than a simple drawing. Sophia would have been surprised had she known the Italian’s thoughts. She had not given her the sketch because of her position but because she was generous by nature and thought she might enjoy it. Perhaps she did have an ulterior motive, though. She hoped that the two of them would become friends. They had quite a few things in common. Both had married important foreigners, had embraced a new nationality, and were Catholic in a Protestant country. And they seemed close in age as well.

The diminutive Countess felt proud that the Duchess had noticed that she had matured. “Thank you, Your Grace. I never forgot the advice you gave me and have put it into practice. I understand that politics influences everything I do and that I am considered a representative of Spain and have responsibilities and duties to that country just as my lord husband does. I have learned a lot since we saw each other and most of it is thanks to you.”

Her royal companion was surprised that she wanted the ceiling in her lying-in chamber painted. “Both before and after when I am unable to leave my bed. It would be nice to have something beautiful to look at that will inspire prayer and contemplation. I know I will not be thinking of art during the process of giving birth.” Perhaps she would hang a tapestry or two close to her birthing chair anyway.

The Duchess gave her more advice on the process of choosing a midwife and ladies to attend her. She already had a good midwife but she would need to figure out what to do about attendants, considering the circumstances. Sophia had only recently found out about that requirement and needed to find a way around it. “I’m not sure if any of my friends will agree to stay in Windsor after the end of the season. What are you supposed to do if you can’t find anybody to stay with you? I have no mother or sisters and my lord husband’s family is in Spain.”

Sophia smiled wryly at the Duchess’ reluctance to tell her more about childbirth. “I understand, Your Grace. Everyone else I have asked tells me the same thing, but I continue to ask anyway. It seems to be a secret that you must be initiated into. Oh, how I wish that initiation was already behind me!”

Her eyes lit up when the her companion offered to send her a rosary that had been blessed by the Pope himself. “Thank you, Your Grace! I’m sure it will bring me peace and lessen my worries.”

The subject changed to the masque. “I can hardly wait to see all the costumes and guess which courtiers are behind the masks. I can’t hide my identity, of course.” As she had done yesterday at the yacht race, she looked down at her blossoming belly. “But I’m still going to wear a costume. I’ll be dressed as a chrysalis. Will you be in costume too?”

She nodded her approval as Lady Toledo gave voice and said her husband provided a Priest. She hid surprise at how vocal the other was in adapting to her new Faith - but God was wise after all and would welcome any that came to His side. 

"Indeed you have done some self-reflection if that is how you now view your married life. It is all well and good to flutter about in play and desires but at your age now the time has come to settle into Motherhood."

"Only You know to what depths you must reach to aid your husband Lady Toledo. He too must adapt to his Rolé and uphold the Honor of Spain and its King."

"I am sure by now that you have an  ..... adequate .... base of those you trust to aid you in this. Connections Lady Toledo are the basis for Knowledge. And that comes in many guises."

She was speaking of the importance of establishing ones own network of eyes and ears.

"For example the midwife you use - who she last attended will tell you much. Not only of her Ambitions but her wants. If she has a clean record of deliveries and a Noble House or two has made use of her skills then she can be set."

"And you can feel confident in using her. She will not tarnish her record and thus become unusable by allowing bad things to occur."

Lady Toledo offered her an explanation in regards to that 'painted ceiling'.

"Honestly you are so young and innocent in your thinkings that I can not find fault but you will soon learn."

"And when you are pregnant again soon it will be entirely different. I can promise you that!"

"No one to attend  ...."

She sat up a bit at this piece of news.

"But that is impossible. Do you mean Lord Toledo did not send for any of his Family? There is not one Matron amongst any of them?"

Her surprise would show at this revelation.

"If that is the case then I suggest you ask any married women of your friendship as soon as possible. They will need to prepare to remain with you the entire time after all."

"It is unfair to expect them to have no warnings. And you must understand you can not force them either."

"If you have difficulties then I shall hand pick from amongst my Ladies and sent two at the least."

"No." She held up one hand to warrant any arguing. "That is how it must be done. You will send me word Lady Toledo."

She would have no choice in this. The Duchess would make use of her own network to keep her posted.

Next came the fact that she would attend the Masque  ....

"You are full of surprises Madam."

Said with a touch of disapproval.

"I would not have thought you would take yourself to it in your state but if Lord Toledo allows it so be it."

"As for myself - naturally I shall go. How can I say what I shall wear when it is supposed to be a guessing game?" 

"You have indeed chosen the perfect costume Lady Toledo."

It would appear that Lady Toledo still had much that needed to be driven out of her thinking but that was not her business.

"But no matter what you wear Everyone will know tis you!"

"But you must take great care anyway. Sit as much as possible and NO dancing!"

Her maid then came silently to her side and bent to whisper in her ear then quietly left again.

"It would seem Lady Toledo that we are not alone in coming here."

"There is another Lady present close by who engages in needlework."

"A relative of a  .... Lord Grey ....  or so I have been told."

"Do you know this Lord Grey or her?"

If Lady Toledo might wonder how it was that the Duchess knew the identity and family connection so quickly it would serve as a very fine example of those that she employed.

Eleanor was paying no mind to the other ladies in the Orangery, save to glance at them once and identify one of them as Lady Toledo. It was a large, airy space and it would be the height of bad manners to eavesdrop. It was a public space however so, not thinking that it might be a very private conversation, she had settled herself in a distant corner, chatting with her chaperone Mary, whilst she embroidered and Mary darned her stocking. 

It was terribly pleasant to enjoy the warmth and the morning sunshine.

The Duchess of York seemed pleased that Sophia had embraced the role she had married into. She felt that impending motherhood had matured her. How could one raise a child if one remained a child oneself? Though she had never cared much about what people thought of her (and still didn’t), she had an image to maintain and must behave respectively while in public so as not to disgrace Esteban or Spain.

“I take my responsibilities seriously and I am making new connections all the time,” she replied, hoping the Duchess would know that she wanted her to become one of them. Establishing her own spy network had only recently occurred to her. Why should Esteban have all the fun? Let him get a taste of his own medicine. She planned to discuss the topic with Anna. Servants were great sources of information and commoners could be useful too.

Sophia memorized the information the Duchess gave her about midwives. Henry had hired Molly and she assumed he had made sure that she was experienced and had a successful birth rate. However, if something went wrong, she might have to find another one or use her newfound knowledge to have one sent away if Esteban decided at the last minute to replace the midwife she had chosen.  She wouldn't put it past him.

Her eyes widened. “Really? You only need ladies with you for your first child?”

It was the Duchess’ turn to be surprised by her lack of attendants. “My lord husband has a mother and sisters, but he has not told me that they planned to sail to England for the birth. I doubt that is something he would keep from me. Maybe there are problems preventing them from leaving Spain.” Like the fact that Sophia’s baby was not related to them at all. For some reason, she felt they knew that. “His youngest sister lives with us but she is a maiden.”

Her Italian companion was adamant that she choose ladies to attend her soon or she would do it for her. That was certainly a complication she didn’t need. Sophia opened her mouth to protest but the Duchess’ raised hand stopped her.

“Very well,” she conceded. What else could she do? “I will keep you informed and gladly accept your offer if it is needed.” Henry needed to know of this as soon as possible, but how could she contact him? He seemed determined to stay away from her when there were so many things they needed to discuss. Maybe he had his reasons but it was annoying to be left in the dark when her baby’s life was at risk. Esteban might kill it if it clearly had no Spanish blood running through its veins.

And then I will kill him …

Sophia was grateful that the Duchess changed the subject.  She had expected that  she would not approve of her plans to attend the masque. “Thank you,” she said when complimented on her choice of costume. “It’s quite adorable. I would rather not know what you plan to wear so I can be surprised.” Like the Queen, she would be followed by an entourage and likely be easily recognizable. “I promise I will be careful. I plan to remain seated and will definitely not dance. It is too painful to stay on my feet for very long long.”

A maid approached the Duchess and whispered in her ear. Of course she would be alerted to the presence of others nearby. Sophia couldn’t see Mistress Bayning. There was a large plant with leaves like a waterfall blocking her view. “Yes I know both of them. Lord Grey is an astronomer and Mistress Bayning is talented at embroidery.”

Anger flared inside her. She didn’t want to share the Duchess of York’s company quite yet. This was unusual for her, but her hormones were still raging, just in a different direction than they had before. Her moods were unpredictable and occasionally uncharacteristic. Unfortunately, if the Duchess wanted to meet her, there was nothing Sophia could do but seethe silently to herself.

She was intuitive enough to understand that Lady Toledo wanted her to extend her hand in friendship which was not a bad thing but she would think on it a bit and weigh the good and bad.

"Why are you so surprised in that only Ladies attend you?'

"Once you cross that threshold into Confinement and the doors close no man is allowed to enter it."

"Not even your husband will be allowed. Nor will a Physician."

"Once the child is born the midwife will take it to your husband to acknowledge and if a boy he will naturally want to look at it to ensure that is the truth."

"Then the baby will be returned to you. Have you a wet nurse employed yet?"

Yes it was not the custom to nurse your own child but she knew that many did - she herself had done so amongst objections - but she had stood her ground.

"You must go through the steps required but behind those closed doors it is YOU who rule never forget that."

"You must listen to the advice given from the midwife naturally. But advice is not always meant to be taken."

"Then once your confinement is done you will step over that same threshold on your way to be Churched and Freedoms are once again yours."

"It seems like that day never comes but it will."

"Have faith Lady Toledo and God will see you thru anything."

There was no objection regarding those Ladies that will attend. She was indeed serious about it.

The Masque seemed to be a thing that she wanted to attend and so she said nothing more.

Having been pregnant she could understand the desire to be amongst Company before being shut away.

It seemed that Lady Toledo was familiar with the two names but she gave no evidence that she was open to a joining in. 

Now a decision had to be made ....... Shall she make it or ask Lady Toledo? No that was unfair.

"Ah. So this Lord Grey studies the Heavens then? Perhaps something can be arranged - I wonder if the Duke might be interested  ...."

"But for now I think we shall remain as we are."

"I shall send a note later with apologies and arrange something."

"Unless you wish for her to join? It is easily done."

"I have an interest in needlework."

She raised her hand a bit and her maid came and then nodded and left.

"I have asked for some refreshments to be brought."

"Will you partake or are you weary? You must not stand on Ceremony and tell me plain if it is time to lie down."

She smiled across at the younger woman.

"In your condition any request is possible and without the need to explain."

Eleanor was aware that two others were talking elsewhere, but as it was rude to eavesdrop - and she had no reason to do so - Eleanor was pointedly focusing on her work, and occasionally chatting with Mary. Being half deaf made this particularly easy. At least until the name Lord Grey caught her ear. They were talking about her Uncle. Unconsciously she left her attention drift... she heard the word Duke, but nothing else. Surely that was good? 

Deeply tempted to look that way and see whether she might be able to make out the shape of the words on their lips, Eleanor restrained herself. Whatever they discussed, it was none of her business. But she did wonder whom it was that Lady Toledo was meeting with. It had been that lady - very regally dressed, in the glimpse Eleanor had risked - who had mentioned her Uncle's name. 

The Duchess of York had misunderstood her question, so Sophia switched to Italian. “Please excuse my poor English, Your Grace. I know that no men will be allowed into my lying-in chamber. The question I was asking was if I would need noblewomen with me for my second child’s birth or if witnessing the first one is enough.” It had sounded to her as if the Duchess meant that witnesses would not be necessary after the first child, though perhaps that comment had been lost in translation as well.

She also wondered where said ladies would sleep. There was only room enough for the midwife and her maidservant besides herself. Perhaps she would have to use the entire house. Esteban could stay with his Spanish guards or rent a room at the inn.

“I will be interviewing possible wet nurses soon,” she said in English. They would need to give birth no more than a few weeks before she did … the closer the better, in her opinion. Sophia was not sure how she felt about nursing her baby herself. On one hand, she wanted to know what it felt like.  On the other, she had heard that nursing caused one’s breasts to sag and hers were so large they’d probably sink to her knees.

She smiled when Her Grace said that God would be with her.

Sophia inwardly sighed with relief at the Duchess’ decision not to invite Mistress Bayning to join them. It might actually be better if the two of them spoke privately. The petite Countess could embroider as well as most ladies and while she enjoyed it, she usually became bored rather quickly. If the two of them started discussing techniques, she would be lost.

Then the Duchess of York asked if she wanted Mistress Bayning to join them. “She would probably prefer a private audience with you.” Just as she did.

Refreshments? Sophia’s eyes lit up. Not only was she always hungry, but another Italian would most likely not mind her using fish sauce. “I am famished, actually. Do you mind if I send my maidservant to fetch a bottle of colatura di alici? I put it on almost everything now.”

The Countess had indeed misunderstood so replying back in Italian the Duchess said 

"And the answer is that every time you are pregnant you will go into confinement and you will also take a few ladies with you as well."

"And each birth will be witnesses just as the first."

"There must be no doubts."

"Not that you have a thing to worry in that regard!"

"This will never change."

"Why even a common girl or woman who delivers at home will have the same Rules."

"But there it will likely just be the midwife and her own mother and perhaps a married sister or friend."

"And no man may enter until the day comes for you to be Churched."

She could not understand how it was that no one had explained everything to her.

"This house that Lord Toledo has taken - you have already made rooms ready yes?"

"Several is best for that will allow some free movements. That way everyone will not be trodding on toes coupled up in one space."

She switched back to English.

"If anything needs to be done to these spaces you should do it now while there is time."

"If you are unsure consult with the Midwife."

The Countess did not wish to have any intrusion despite how politely her words were.

"Very well. I shall not."

"And if this lady takes offense, well, then she is not someone I need to know."

She would in the privacy of her rooms pen a small note to this Lady and suggest a private meeting.

There would be no misunderstandings or hurt feelings despite what her own words might suggest.

"colatura di alic?" She said back in surprise. "You wish for this with everything?"

"I would not have thought it to be a thing wanted but I suppose we are all different ."

"By all means  ...."

A hand half raised brought her maid and a few whispered words.

"I have sent a servant to bring it here."

"In the mean time let us enjoy what is brought ....."

Servants quietly entered with several trays. Tea things and some refreshing cordial type drinks would be offered. She had a fondness for olive bread and so there would be thin slices of that on a plate with cheeses and some fruits. Assorted sweet things also arrived as well as a plate of Castagnole  - still warm. A sweet treat made of dough that has been deep fried and is soft on the inside and crunchy on the out. While still warm they are rolled in sugar. They were popular at Carnaval but she wanted them whenever.

It was hard enough to find the foods of her Homeland in London but here in Windsor impossible. Which was why her Chamberlain made sure that foods designed to please Her went where she traveled.  A wooden side table would be placed to the right of each of them that was big enough to hold plate and cup so that hands would be free to eat and drink.

"Now then  ..... What tempts you?"

A female servant would attend and serve whatever was wanted.

Eleanor pulled tight a thread and carefully snipped it off, then held up the piece of fabric to the light critically. The check beads glittered in the sunlight. For a rushed job, it would do. 

Nearby Lady Toledo and her companion had food brought to them; it looked like they were settling in for a morning tea. Now there was an idea. Eleanor felt her stomach rumble. She'd been up since it had been light enough to sew and breakfast had been hours ago. 

"Mary, I'm quite parched, lets go and have some tea." She said quietly to her chaperone, not wanting to disturb the other two. With a nod the older woman secured the thread of her darning and all the fabrics were bundled into the ever present basket, which Mary lifted. 

Eleanor carefully searched her skirt for stray pins and, satisfied, rose to her feet. "I wonder if they have any of those St Clements tarts left at the bakery." She mused as the two made their way back into the castle. Just the thought made Eleanor's mouth water. Mary made nod comment, knowing exactly who would be sent to fetch one, should her charge decide that was what she desired for tea. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the things the Duchess told her sounded familiar to Sophia, as if she had heard them before but forgotten. Signora Grimani had taken her education seriously, and it was possible that she had been taught about childbirth but had not paid much attention. All she had thought about then was opera, opera, and opera. Marriage and motherhood had seemed so far away. Memories were slowly returning to her, but she doubted that she would recall everything she had learned. Nor did she believe she had ever known it all. She was glad that ladies like the Duchess of York were willing to give her advice. Having a baby was so complicated. Maybe she would be content with just one.

“One room has been prepared already, but I will need more. Perhaps I shall use the entire house. The extra space will give everyone room to move about and there will be no petty arguments resulting from ladies being cramped into a small area for an extended period of time. I don’t need to mediate quarrels while I’m supposed to be relaxing. I can’t even imagine how stressful it was for you, Your Grace.”

Like most little girls, Sophia had dreamed of marrying a handsome prince and becoming a princess. Now she was glad that wish had not come true. The reality of a royal’s life was much less glamorous than the fantasy. They had no freedom whatsoever, they were spied on even by their own spouses, and everything they said and did was discussed and dissected. Not to mention they were always in danger of being assassinated.

Yet still she would marry Juan in a heartbeat. She believed that he had arranged for her to marry Esteban because he wanted to protect her from his enemies, though he wished he could have wed her himself.

The blonde Countess breathed an inward sigh of relief when the Duchess decided to keep this encounter between the two of them. It would better if she spoke privately with Mistress Bayning without Sophia getting in the way. “She will not take offense. I am certain that she will be honored that you wish to meet her.” Maybe either the Queen or the Duchess of York would appoint Eleanor as a maid of honor. It was a position that Sophia thought would suit her sweet and proper demeanor.

Her royal companion was surprised by her constant use of fish sauce. “It is my only craving,” she confessed. “I developed a taste for it in Venice but I am obsessed with it now that I’m pregnant. It is even great on strawberries.”

Sophia thanked the Duchess for sending one of her maids for the sauce. Her stomach rumbled when the trays of refreshments arrived. “How wonderful!” she exclaimed. “It seems like forever since I had Italian food. It all looks delicious! You are so generous, Your Grace.” The baby pummeled her insides as if he or she approved too. “You are so lucky to have access to food from your homeland. I sometimes buy Italian delicacies in London, but my chef usually cooks either Spanish or English cuisine."

She told the servant what she wanted and a full plate was placed before her. Taking a bite of olive bread, she washed it down with a sip of tea. “Did you attend the party after the races last night? I was hoping that I would be invited because I was the Queen’s guest, but Lord Toledo and I were not included. Sometimes I still have to remind myself that I am Spanish and thought of as an outsider.”

She did not offer any further comments regarding Lady Toledo's upcoming confinement.

What else was there to say that had not been. She would however monitor if she had selected her ladies to accompany.

"Will she?" This asked about Mistress Bayning. "I shall hope she does not."

She was indeed pleased with the offered refreshments even saying how Lucky she was in having foods from Italy. 

"If you wish for something then ask for it. Its is after all your household. I am sure Lord Toledo would be happy to provide whatever you want."

She nibbled on some bread with cheese finding the bread a bit dry - she would have to speak to her cook and find out who was lax in their duties - each servant had a job so it was not difficult.

Or so she assumed.

"Last night?" She gave a small shake of her head. "I was otherwise occupied. And my company would not have been missed."

No explanation offered.

"Well in your state I very much doubt that Her majesty would expect you to be there. You were at the Races so she had a good look."

"A lack of invitation, in this instance, has nothing to do with Politics Lady Toledo."

She smiled across at her.

"Her Majesty has a child now and so remembers well how she was at your stage. The last thing one wants is to be 'social' after all."

"There will be opportunities for further invitations so do not worry overmuch."

She sipped her tea glad for these moments of quiet and of not having to be on guard all the time dealing with all the Court Politics that followed her husband.

Sophia thought the bread tasted fine, but perhaps that was because it had been a long time since she’d had it. Even if she did find fault with the food … which she did not … she would never voice her displeasure. “He denies me nothing. I love strawberries and he makes sure that I always have them.” She smiled warmly. “I suppose the main reason I rarely eat Italian fare is because I have nobody to share it with.” One aspect of Italian culture she had fully embraced of was socializing during meals.  Dinner had always been a lively occasion.

She wondered why the Duchess of York had not attended the party or the races or why she thought she wouldn’t be missed. Had she quarreled with one of the other royals or did she still feel like a stranger among the English? It was more likely that there was simply something else that she would rather do during that time, a reaction that was the opposite of Sophia’s.

The young Countess had cried inconsolably when she got home, certain that they had not wanted her there because of her connections to Spain. Then again, she had once cried when she stepped on a bug because the bug had been some bug’s child and it’s mother would miss it. Sometimes she thought that inanimate objects had feelings. Pregnancy wreaked havoc on one’s hormones.

The Duchess’ explanation as to why Sophia had been excluded made sense. Most  ladies didn’t attend social engagements in the late stages of pregnancy. Perhaps instead of rejecting her, the Queen had been concerned for her instead or believed that she would rather not attend.

“I didn’t think of that,” she confessed. “And I do hope you’re right and that I’ll receive other invitations after the baby is born. I am trying to actively support my husband but perhaps now is not the right time to do it. I hope to throw another party next season. The last one, to celebrate our marriage, was well-received.”

She savored a tasty bite of cheese. “Is there anything you particularly like about Windsor? Or are you happier when court is held in London?”

The Duchess smiled across to her.

"Well in ones' condition we are full of many humors and oft times more of Melancholy or so it seems."

"You must learn that a box has many sides - the four on each as well as the top and bottom - and the ones you can not see."

"In trying to solve a problem or thought the answer does not always come from the obvious side but rather from allowing yourself to 'think' about a different path."

"You could only see not being included as a snub because you are the wife of the Spanish Ambassador."

"You have learned much that is true but you still have a journey ahead that will be life-long."

"With many occurrences and situations that will require you to have a different perspective."

"That is also why I have said it is so important to cultivate those about you."

"Learning everything that you can about someone within reason is a valuable tool that you can use."

"Whether it be for good or bad."

"Of course invitations will come. How could they not."

"Recess will offer you a time to perfect your Skills. Use it wisely."

A question was asked then about her own feelings

"Court is but the vessel that houses."

"I go where the Duke my husband goes. Whether I like it or not is never considered."

"I have my own Household and servants. I have the ability to come and go within reason."

"Windsor is for escaping. Much like all the other Palaces that are scattered about."

"Except they are not under my husband's name but The Kings."

She sipped her tea now gone luke warm and without raising an eyebrow hot water appeared as if by magic.

She smiled pleased that Lady Toledo would see how well she managed her household.

A flush of embarrassment warmed Sophia’s fair cheeks as the Duchess pointed out her mistake. She wasn’t certain that politics didn’t have a little bit to do with not being invited, but it wasn’t the main reason. Nobody had rejected her. They were being considerate and sympathetic. She regretted all the tears she had needlessly shed, and chastised herself for jumping to conclusions. Hopefully, her much more sensible companion would not hold it against her.

As she pointed out, the young Countess still had a lot to learn. Someday I will be as knowledgeable and sophisticated as the Duchess of York and then I can help others the way she is helping me.

“Sometimes it’s difficult to see beyond the obvious,” she mused. “I’m absolutely certain that my lord husband uses my bodyguard to track my every move.” She didn’t even attempt to lower her voice so that said bodyguard wouldn’t hear. She wanted this snippet of conversation to reach Esteban. “I couldn’t see past the idea that he didn’t think I was being faithful to him, but he could be observing me for an entirely different reason.  Maybe he’s watching me to make sure that I am loyal to Spain and that I won’t be tricked into spying for his enemies. Perhaps he is also trying to protect me from those nefarious individuals. I am now trying to prove to him that I can be trusted and that I am not as naive as I was when we were married. Did the Duke watch you too in the first few years of your marriage, Your Grace?”

Sophia suspected that the Duchess was taking her own advice where she was concerned, subtly seeking information that would help her decide if the wife of the Spanish Ambassador was worth befriending or just another sycophant who wished for royal favor. “All knowledge is worth having,” she agreed. “Courtiers can be so secretive that it’s not often easy to discover much about them. I suppose I need to figure out how to be more covert and less direct.”

The Duchess was secretive herself as to her feelings about Windsor, though she did say she thought of it as an escape. “It is the same with me. I go where His Excellency goes, even if I would rather be elsewhere. Traveling to Spain and back is physically and mentally exhausting, especially for one who is afraid of large bodies of water, but I do enjoy the change of scenery and culture. I suppose I will always have a wanderer's soul."

Her eyes widened when the Duchess said she had her own household and could come and go as she pleased. “I envy you for that,” Sophia said sincerely. “I do not have that kind of freedom. Yet. Perhaps it will come in time. You are to be commended for managing your household so well. I hope that someday I can do the same.”

She bit into a savory piece of cheese. “My first season at court was at Windsor, but I was too frightened to enjoy it. I’m making up for that now. There’s some wonderful shops in town. The Mare's Nest is definitely worth a visit. They have so many lovely antiques. Do you like to collect intriguing items with which to decorate your rooms, Your Grace?"

Lady Toledo was very vocal about how she did not have her husband's Trust and how she was being watched adding in various reasons for it.

Clearly she wanted to be overheard.

"It is the nature of a Man to protect is it not?" She said quietly.

"As a wife or daughter or sister we should be thankful for it. And I understand how it is an easy thing to become too protective."

"You must solve whatever has created this knot. But have a care about how it is done."

"As to your question - I never gave cause to be watched. It is as simple as that."

"I am sure that York took care to make sure I was as safe as possible and naturally he knew my movements and who I saw."

"And that is his Right."

"Over time I learned to plant a seed and then watch as the idea grew to where he thought the idea was his own and thus was able to do what I wanted."

"Every wife learns this. Or should. To control a husband one must use a soft touch and stroke when needed."

She gave a small smile as Lady Toledo spoke about Courtiers and being secretive.

"Since you can see that already then you should learn how to play back."

"If you do not have the freedoms as you say then how could you be here now? Or anywhere for that matter."

She gave her a pointed look over her tea cup. One brow slightly raised.

"And do you not have your own household within the Embassy? Who manages that if not you?"

"It is a wife's responsibility to ensure that the Household runs smooth."

"Every effort must be taken to ensure that, in the end, your husband finds no faults and sees only the virtues in you as his wife."

She gave an inward sigh. She really had nothing more to say on this matter.

"I have seen most of what is here. Nothing that excites. That is for London."

"I have an interest in Porcelains and have a few pieces but the expense makes it difficult."

"I use my own monies but York has given me several knowing it would make me happy."

"I also find pleasure in small illuminated manuscripts but they too are a rarity as well as costly."

"And what, besides painted ceilings, do you have interests in?" 

"Obviously Music and Singing  ......"

She would not add that she had no fondness for it. It all sounded like a cat screeching anyway.