JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

interrogating the Servants April 7 morning

"How curious," Langdon replied in consternation.  "He speaks of daggers to a female portrait but does not collect them."  Though he seemed to be without understanding, Charles imagined that the dagger had something to do with his dead wife or mother.  He thought of the Swan.  Could that have been his wife's grandmother?  Even so, why would Lewin be so intent of gaining the dagger from a long dead relative?  Lewin would need to be a lunatic.

Charles had a half mind to call on Lewin and show him the dagger and demand an explanation.  He expected to make short work of the b=villain then.

"When might be a good time to call on Master Lewin if I wished to catch him at home?"  He paused for an answer.  "If I wished to conduct a search of his study, when might be a good time to call when he is not at home?"

• 2 weeks later...

“Why did you ask if he collected daggers?” Mrs Brown asked. Her husband shot her another warning glare, but she ignored him. “Are you investigating the death of his wife?” There was no proof that the woman in the portrait was Lewin’s wife or that she had been murdered. But gossip of any kind was impossible for the housekeeper to resist.

Mr Brown shook his head. “He comes in early some days and late on others. It might be better to catch him somewhere else. I’ve smelled perfume on his clothes before. He might visit a brothel. The hackney drivers could possibly tell you more. They bring him home every night.”

In the corner, Sam tried to catch Charles’ eye. She had an idea.

“He’s never home in the mornings,” Mr Brown continued, “but you would have to break into the house to search his study, maybe tie us up so it looks like a robbery. We can’t let you in the house or help you in any way. He will fire us and we won’t be able to get work anywhere else with poor references. I also don’t have the study key.”

"What do you know about the death of his wife?  Was it under mysterious circumstances?"  His questioning might reveal that his inquiry was not about the dead spouse, but he was curious.  There had to be a reason why he was so crazy about a dagger that had been missing for generations.  He doubted the dead wife held any key, but it might be one more tile in the mosaic in understanding the blackguard.  "Does he hire gruff men to do his bidding at times?"  Surely the hoodlums that attacked Tamsin were his men.

It was odd that Mrs. Brown thought immediately of a brothel instead of a sweetheart.  "Might he not have instead a lady friend?"

Charles did not like the idea of staging a robbery.  It was not what a gentleman did.  "I would be more inclined to call on him when her is there and confront him directly."  Only the beginnings of what he planned to say to Lewin were forming in his mind.  He imagined putting the dagger on the table in front of Lewin and demanding that he confess his nefarious purpose.  It was less clear what he would do if the villain declined.

Sam seemed to have an idea.  He nodded his acknowledgement.  "If you will excuse me for a moment, I need to confer with my fellow officer and then I will see that you are free to go."  he motioned Sam to join him in the hall.

• 2 weeks later...

So you are trying to solve his wife’s murder? That painting really is her and she was killed with a dagger?” Mrs Brown poked her husband in the ribs. “See, Gabe?” Her smile was smug and she puffed out her ample chest. “I’m not a gossip. I know things.”

Mr Brown ignored her. “Nobody comes to the house but the men he entertains in his study. None of them could be described as gruff.” He had not intended to say anything about the rumors about his master’s wife … which he assumed were speculations invented by Margie… but his curiosity got the better of him.

It’s true then? Master Lewin’s wife died mysteriously?” Maybe the reason he thought his master visited a brothel was because he himself frequented them, or at least thought about it. Life with a busybody wife wasn’t always easy. A few days ago, she had found her stockings ripped and she had still not stopped talking about the neighbors sneaking in while they were asleep and slashing them out of spite. Spite for what, he had no idea.

I suppose he could have a mistress. I would think he would bring her home, but perhaps she’s married.”

Charles’ nod told Sam that he had seen her. She followed him into the hallway when he excused himself and got straight to the point. “I think you should be sneaky when dealing with this Lewin fellow, my lord. I doubt that he will tell you anything if you confront him. But if you show up at a place where he goes regularly and strike up an innocent conversation, then maybe you’ll get something out of him. You could take the dagger with you and give him a glimpse of it, see how he reacts. I can question the hackney drivers and find out where they usually take him.”

Not sure any of this was helpful to his investigation, the Earl found himself listening to the words while weighing the strategy best taken.  "I can only say that there may be rumors about things."  That seemed like an answer that said nothing.  Perhaps he might have a career in the law, if not politics.

Why were things not simple?  Lewin was a shady character surely but his activities were hardly suspicious.  There was no activities that he could interrupt at a critical moment to convict the man.  There was an emotional let down as Charles realized that the evidence against Lewin was threadbare.  Still, the idea of thrashing the man into a bloody pulp seemed oddly uplifting.  England had become too civilized for that.  So too should have been the Earl of Langdon. 

Out in the hallway, hoped that Sam had a brilliant solution.  Unfortunately, it was more plots involving disguise and deception.  When frustrated, Charles preferred a sword fight or a fist to a face.

"He has to know who I am Sam," he whispered.  "The weaponsmith identified me.  He sent ruffians that I fought.  He penetrated the hidden passages in the palace.  He has probably observed me enough that he would have a chuckle if I approached him in a tavern,  No, it would have to be someone he does not know."  He was about to suggest that Sam attempt it, but he did not wish to put her in harm's way.

"What if I wait for his coach to depart for his usual haunt?"  His plan was still unfolding in his mind.  "The coachman stops for me and I enter the coach, catching him by surprise and ask him what he would offer for the dagger and why it is so important.  Maybe he will be more truthful in the privacy of the coach.  If he attacks me I'll have the dagger and my pistol.  I'll tell him I'll not sell the dagger without a good story to compel me to part with such a conversation piece.  He cannot run away, so who knows what story he will tell?"

• 2 weeks later...

Mr and Mrs Brown immediately started arguing … quite loudly … as soon as Charles and Sam left the room. There was nothing Sam didn’t love about Charles, but she felt that his confrontational attitude might not get results in this particular case. From what she had heard, she didn’t think that Lewin would respond well to pressure.

Charles reminded her that their quarry was already aware of his identity. Approaching Lewin in a tavern was not going to work. However, the plan he outlined might, though it would also put him in danger if Lewin tried to attack him. “Your strategy  is much better than mine,” she admitted with a wry smile. “But let me come with you in case you need backup. He may be better armed than you are.  It is easy to overpower someone in a carriage. With me there, it will be two against one.”

"There is no one I would rather have at my side," he offered as a reward for her dropping notions of him wearing a disguise.  It was also true.  He completely trusted Sam and she was an excellent soldier.  "Very well.  Bring a pistol and a dagger for yourself.  In close confines we will not be able to use our swords."  In fact, they would get in the way.

"Let's go back and discover when the best time would be for us to remain cloaked outside his house awaiting his coach to depart."  He was ready to rejoin the quarreling couple and get that last piece of information.  Sam could contact the coachman they had just released and arrange the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam was pleased that Charles agreed to her suggestion and his compliment made her heart flutter. Saying that there was nobody else he would rather have at his side was not exactly what she longed to hear, but it was the next best thing to the confessions of love she didn’t think that would ever emerge from his lips. But who knew what the future held? There was still hope that he would see her as more than just a trustworthy soldier someday.

She nodded and followed him back to the room. It was oddly silent. As she and Charles entered, the Browns were standing at opposite ends of it, every now and then shooting each other venomous looks. Their argument, she assumed, had not gone well.

“May we leave now?’ the wife asked. “I don’t want to spend another moment in the same room with him.

"My thoughts exactly," her husband replied.

• 2 weeks later...

Upon returning to the room, the coolness was apparent.  It made Charles wonder if this was the way of marriages.  Would he have heated exchanges with Darlene?  Would they not want to speak with each other?  Things had been roses for them to date.  Had they ever had a real argument?  Not really.

"You can go shortly," he offered. "I just need to know the best time to intercept your master's coach when he leaves for the evening, so that I might have a chat with him."

“When he comes home in the evenings, he stays.: Mr Brown said. His voice was more civil than it had been when speaking to his wife.

“Last spring he went out a few times,” his wife remarked.

“But not since then,” Mr Brown confirmed. “I saw Mr Granger here when we were brought in. He is Master Lewin’s coach driver. He takes him to the Strand every morning. They leave around seven o’clock. That might be the best time to catch him. As I said before, hired coaches brings him home at various times in the evening. Those drivers might know how he spends his time.”

Sam had offered to find out that information for Charles already but he wanted to catch Lewin when he left the house instead. Stepping closer to him, she kept her voice low. “We can wait for him in the morning, and board his carriage shortly after he departs. The coach driver will recognize us and know to stop. It’s usually foggy in the early hours, which will give us enough cover so that he doesn’t see us coming until we’re in the carriage.”

"Thank you for your assistance," Langdon offered in an appreciative voice.  "You are both free to go, but under orders to speak not of this encounter." 

Once they were gone, Charles agreed with Sam.  "Yes, seven o'clock."  It would mean an early morning.  "Let us have two troopers in support to follow.  The two of us will intercept the coach.  I will bring the dagger.  Shall we plan on it for Tuesday?"

“We won’t say a word, my lord,” Mr Brown said. He threw a pointed glance at his wife. “Will we, Margie?”

“My lips are sealed,” she replied. Her husband wasn’t certain if she could hold up her end of the bargain. She was a hopeless gossip and was terrible at keeping secrets. She would, however, agree to anything to get out of here. As would he.

Mr Brown bowed to Charles as he left, but his wife just swept by him, as if she was somehow superior. She should spend a day in jail for disrespect, Sam thought as she watched them leave.

Charles agreed with her plan and was being very cautious about their safety. Her heart did a little flip-flop when he asked if they should intercept the coach on Tuesday. He had asked for her opinion, instead of issuing an order. He had done so before, of course, and every time, Sam reacted the same way. She knew he saw her as more than just an ordinary soldier, but his trust in her always awed her.

“Definitely Tuesday,” she said with a subtle smile. “The sooner the better. I don’t trust that woman to keep this meeting a to herself for long.”