JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Midnight with a Mistress (Near Midnight the 6th)

His business was done in the park and it was now getting quite late.  He had not visited Catherine Sedley since Darlene had shown her face at court and Charles imagined that Catherine would suspect something soon.  Women were like that.  He hoped that she would be too tired and would send him away.  If she had retired for the night, he would gain credit for the visit but not have to speak with her.  He rang the bell and awaited her servant.

• 2 weeks later...

The liveried servant who answered the door had been in Catherine’s service since she had returned to court last spring, and he immediately recognized Charles. “Good evening, Lord Langdon,” he said. “I shall tell my mistress that you are here to see her.” After taking his outer garments, the man strode away.

Catherine was still up, reading a book in her bedroom while she waited for the baby to calm down. She couldn’t remember Caroline kicking so much so soon. Maybe it was a fine big son who would bind Charles to her forever. She didn’t think he would  marry her and she knew that if she attempted to coax him into it, she would push him away from her forever.

And, in truth, she wasn’t certain if that was what she wanted anymore. Some women were meant to be wives; others were meant to be mistresses. Catherine believed that the latter suited her better than the former. Still, she would not turn Charles down if he proposed to her. It would be nice for both of her children to grow up with a father figure in their lives.

Caroline had been acknowledged by York, but it was possible that Charles was really her father. At one year old, the toddler didn’t resemble either of them yet. She looked like her mother, though Catherine thought she was prettier. What mother didn’t think her children were beautiful? However, others had complimented Caroline’s appearance so perhaps she wasn’t biased. The child Catherine carried now was definitely her lover’s child, conceived sometime last season.

She had retired to the country during her first pregnancy, as she’d had no idea what to expect. Now she did, and saw no reason to skip the spring season. Court would probably be in recess again when the baby was due, so it would most likely not be born in London. If she had her way, she would give birth at Charles’ estate in Cornwall. If he offered. Which he probably would not.

He had not visited her yet this season, nor had he sent her any letters. Catherine told herself that he was just busy with his duties and responsibilities. Every season brought new challenges and his soldiers had to be prepared for anything that came up. She had heard no whispers about him and other women, but as they had never been exclusive, she had no right to complain if he had a tryst with someone else.  All that mattered was that he always returned to her.

Maybe she would have seen him at one of the court events had she attended. The session of the House of Lords was the only one which had interested her so far, but she had not felt well that day. As to the others, opera was an acquired taste that she had not acquired and she had no desire to stare up at the moon for hours. If she did have the inclination, she could do it from her garden.

She jumped when she heard a knock on the door. Her book was open to the same page she had been reading a half hour ago; she had become lost in her thoughts. About Charles. Always about Charles. Placing it on the table beside her chair, she went to answer it. A servant stood there and informed her that Lord Langdon had come to call on her. “Bring him up,” she told him, smiling. Finally he had some time for her.

The servant returned to Charles and led him up the stairs to Catherine’s bedroom. He had acknowledged her as his mistress so there was nothing scandalous about visiting her there. When the man opened the door, Catherine stood up and smiled. She was wearing nothing but a filmy semi-transparent nightdress. The roundness of her belly was quite apparent.

“Please come in,” she said politely. After the servant left, her smiled turned playful. “It must have been tortuous to keep yourself away from me this long,” she said, “considering how much you adore me.”

He offered a smile in return.  There was no need to seem overly serious in one's visit to his mistress, even if this was the beginning of the end.  She was still eager for the game, which relaxed the mood.  "I came because I heard you were crying yourself to sleep at night at the thought of not basking in my presence.  I was worried that you would do something terrible ... like think pleasant thoughts about the French."  He could not help but laugh at his own humor, as he needed it after the night in the park.

"How is our child faring?" he asked as he crossed the room to stand beside her, hand reached out to touch her belly.

"Oh, has it been long?" He feigned ignorance.

Catherine gave him a look of mock concern. “You must really learn to separate your dreams from reality, Charles. Just because you wish it does not make it so.” That smile aroused her, but unfortunately it was too late in her pregnancy for sex. She’d heard that common women often fucked until the day they delivered, but she was not willing to risk harming her child. Most likely, Charles had indulged in a few trysts … men had needs, after all … but only because her charms were temporarily forbidden.

She smiled when he touched her belly. The warmth of his hand seemed to burn through the thin fabric of her nightdress. How she wished he could pull it off and run his hands all over her body. The baby leapt within her, reminding Catherine that she should not be thinking like that. She concentrated on Charles’ jest instead. “It hasn’t been long for me. But it must have seemed like centuries to you.

“Our child is healthy and strong.” Taking his hand, she moved it to the place where she had just felt it kick. “Feel for yourself.” As if the baby sensed the presence of its father, it kicked robustly beneath his hand. “I think he recognizes you already,” she said, gazing up into his eyes.

In response to her comment about dreams and reality his smile widened.  "Do not make me go over to your bed and pillow and feel the wetness of your tears."  He was still chuckling.  "It is best to just confess your adoration and then you can be free of the tangled web of decit you try and spin."  he feigned a motion towards her pillow.

When he felt the kick with his hand on her belly, his smile was more one of fascination than amusement.  In silence he wondered how women tolerated moving creatures in their stomachs.  It must be quite painful. "I suppose he is kicking you for falsely saying that you have not been counting the minutes until my arrival."

Sitting beside her he thought to inquire.  "What have you been doing these past months?  I have not seen you at court events.  Are you planning to just nest here the rest of the season?" 

Catherine waved one hand toward her bed. “Be my guest. When you don’t find what you seek, maybe you’ll finally realize that your obsession with me has deluded you once again.” She had missed their fun little game more than she cared to admit. No, she definitely didn’t want to marry Charles. They would have to give up that witty pastime. Still, if he asked …

The fascination on his face was satisfying. She doubted that he had ever felt a baby kick before, and if he had, the child had not been his. This one was and she hoped Charles was proud of the tiny life growing in her womb. “He kicked right beneath your hand,” she reminded him. “He’s trying to tell you to quit denying that you are smitten with his mother.”

Catherine moved closer to him when he sat down and  she held his hand against her belly so that he could feel his child move again. “I didn’t stay in London during recess,” she informed him. “Since I’ve been back, none of the recent court events have interested me except the session of the House of Lords.  Unfortunately I wasn’t feeling well that day.

“You know that I don’t like opera.” They had not gone to the last one, spending the evening in bed together instead. “And I didn’t want to hurt my neck by staring up at the moon. Hopefully, something more intriguing will come along, like a banquet or a ball.” She gazed at Charles inquisitively. “I wouldn’t mind attending a play.”

As if trying to coax Charles into inviting her to a  night at the theatre, the baby kicked beneath his hand again. “What about you? Have you done anything interesting or have you been busy with your duties to the King?”

"I do not want to embarrass you so I will not go over to your pillow."  He made it seem magnanimous of him.  "We both know the truth. You need not confess your weakness this night."  He fought a smile.

Charles was not really one for plays and banquets.  They seemed too mild for an active mind.  As such, he did not comment on the apparent invitation.  "Yes, many of the events are too ... " he was searching for the word.  "Unsatisfying."  It then fell to him to explain his own events.

"There are plots I have discovered; some by foreigners and some by Englishmen.  I am planning a trap of course and hope to make many arrests."  he was feeling good about that.  "Tonight I turned out my regiment to clear out St. James Park.  Do you know that there are all sorts of low life that inhabit the park in the darkness?  It is not safe for decent folk.  I am working with the Bishop of London to scare the bad elements away.  If they come back, I'll have them arrested and sent away ... perhaps to an island or far away colony.  The King walks in that park in the early morning.  It could affect his safety."

"I have little time any more for myself.  So it may well be that no one will see much of me this season, other than villains."  Left undiscussed was the return of Darlene Hamilton to court.  It would spell the doom of many of his relationships with women.  Wives were jealous creatures and it meant that the womanizing so much enjoyed by the Earl would likely come to an end, albeit for good reason. 

“You only say that because you know that I’m right.”

Apparently, Charles was not willing to take her to a play. Catherine thought she knew him so everything about him, but she was unaware that he didn’t enjoy that form of entertainment. Or perhaps she had never considered that anyone would dislike the theatre after growing up with a poet and playwright for a father. Oh well. I have plenty of friends I can go with. Watching a play wasn’t very romantic anyway. Even in a box, the actors could see you and they sometimes broke both character and the fourth wall in order to comment on what was going on in the audience.

So Charles, too, had not been excited by the season’ first few events. She couldn’t say she was surprised. For his own adventures had been more interesting than any drama that could unfold onstage. “Unsavory characters in the park? That sounds terrifying. I’m glad I’ve never visited it at night. I wouldn’t want to be robbed, raped, or murdered.” Catherine shuddered. The baby was quiet now, and she removed his hand from her belly and held it in her lap, caressing it softly.

She could understand why Charles wanted the rabble out of the way. They could, indeed, be a threat to the King. She had joined him on a few of his walks when she was York’s mistress. He had acknowledged her a few times for her witty comments, but most of the time he had ignored her in favor of his usual entourage. It was good enough for her just to bask in his presence.

Nobody was going to see much of Chalres this season? Surely he didn’t mean her. He had not even visited Caroline yet. The one-year-old, who still resembled her mother more than either of her potential fathers, had gone to bed hours ago. “Then it’s fortunate that you sent your ward away. How is she doing in that school she’s attending?” Catherine hoped that the stupid girl had forgotten all about her guardian. Maybe she would run away back to her street friends and would never be heard of again.

Frances was trouble, and Charles didn’t need to be burdened with her when he would soon have a child of his own.

Charles was glad she could see the sense of chasing the rabble from the park.  Ladies understood well the need for safety from the criminal element.

"It is early but she has not run away from the school yet.  That is progress," he laughed.  It also meant that he coud have lady friends over to the house because she was gone, though he did not plan to tell Catherine about it.  Such would be for Darlene's benefit.

"I need to be leaving soon," he announced.  It was getting late.  "I just needed to check on the welfare of my most fanatical admirer."  He smiled.

• 2 weeks later...

Catherine didn’t give a flying fuck about Frances, except for making sure she stayed out of Charles’ life. And it appeared that at least for the moment, she was. Now he just needed to get rid of her crazy mother, but that wasn’t a subject to bring up now. After the baby was born, she would have more leverage.

She didn’t have any desire to stay at his house overnight. It was larger than hers, but they had more privacy here. She could invite him to her bedroom like she had tonight with absolutely no repercussions or interruptions. Not even Caroline would walk in on them, as she had hired a second nurse to watch her at night.

As the Duke of York’s acknowledged child, it was possible somebody might sneak in, kidnap her, and hold her for ransom. That wouldn’t go well, as the Duke seemed to care nothing about the adorable little girl. Perhaps Catherine was a bit paranoid, but all mothers were protective of their children. Caroline also had the tendency of climbing out of her bed and wandering around at night, which  also had the potential to harm her.  She had only been walking for about a month.

Charles had just arrived and he wanted to leave already? “You just couldn’t bear another second without me,” she countered. She lifted his hand to her lips and kissed it. “You will be spending Easter with us, won’t you?” Easter was boring, full of church services, prayers, and family gatherings. She certainly didn’t plan on spending any time with her own hated father. Catherine didn’t even allow him to visit his only grandchild. Charles’ presence would make the day much less dull. “I know you won’t be able to stand an entire weekend without me.”

"So you need me for Easter do you?" Charles jibed.  "I must spend the day with Bradley and Frances," he confessed.  "I have hardly had a chance to speak with Bradley.  He's signed up for the Guard and I cannot show him favoritism."  It was possible that Frances would stay at her school but he assumed the head mistress would send her home.  "I suppose I could have a miniature painted of me and you could moon over it when I am away," he offered in jest.  He then took his turn and lifted her hand to his lips for a brief kiss.  "This will have to hold you for a bit.  And now off to sleep and chase villains in the morning," he proclaimed as he took his leave.