JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sidethread: Breaking & Entering- Xmas 1677

Ambrose Turnbull

Ambrose stood just outside the palace, and took a sip of his hipflask for good measure. Would Fiona really steal away from the ball to meet him?  And if she did not, should he go back and hunt her out? And how long should a chap stand about in this weather and wait...

The odd early leaver exited the grand doors, and with each sound Ambrose eyes turned hopefully. "Come on girl..." upon a breath of steam he encouraged.   

As soon as Ambrose left, Fiona merged into the crowd while edging slowly toward the door. She looked around for her brother but didn't see him. Maybe he had already slipped away for a tryst? Usually the thought of Douglas with someone else would have made her jealous, but it was hard to think of anything now but shagging one of his fellow soldiers. The desire rippling through her body was strong and urgent and she hoped that the lieutenant had not just been teasing her and would really be waiting for her outside.

She considered taking her cloak, but decided against it. If Dougie noticed that it was missing, he would know that she was up to something. Whether or not he would report her absence to Cat was uncertain. He had kept her secrets before. But it was better to be safe than sorry and compared to Scotland, England's winters were rather mild. She would be fine without it and Ambrose could keep her warm.

The cold hit her as soon as she stepped outside about five minutes after Ambrose had left. A slow seductive smile lit up her pretty face when she saw him standing nearby. While she wanted to throw herself in his arms and kiss him, there were other people outside as well, and showing affection in public would do neither of them any favors. However, it wouldn't seem odd if they took a stroll together.

Fiona approached him casually. “So I'm not the only one who needed a breath of fresh air,” she said in case anyone was listening. Leaning closer, she whispered: “although I'm hotter now than I was in the ballroom.”