JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Dinner and a drink | 31st 6pm- Xmas 1677

Ambrose had decided not to wear his uniform. While he had no qualms with Beth being a whore, he supposed he should not be wearing His Majesties uniform while out in town with her. (Though that said, His Majesty did not have any problem with women of skill in those arts either.)

As he came to wait outside Madame Derrieres, one side of his cloak was flipped back over a shoulder revealing a jacket of dark blue. It was nice to have a night out planned, although he’d restrained his anticipation, not let himself raise hopes of vital fun. (He'd looked forward to the evening with Ellen too, and look how that had turned out!)

He did let himself hope that he might find a good local watering hole, and perhaps company of locals for pleasant conversation. Taking out his pipe he took a few puffs while he waited, habitually rocking back on his heels in the idlemess.

It had taken Beth awhile to decide what to wear. She only had two gowns suitable for an evening out and eventually she decided on the green one. Made of wool, it wasn't fancy but it was fashionable and she thought it looked good on her. Putting on the same burgundy silk fur-lined cloak she had worn the night she and Lieutenant Turnbull had met, she left her house and walked to Madam's, hoping that he would be there and had not changed his mind about taking a whore out for dinner.

A warm smile lit up her pretty features when she saw him at the front of the brothel. She had been looking forward to this night and she thought he looked quite handsome as she approached him. “Good evening, Lieutenant. I hope you have not been waiting long.”

He'd been waiting a little while, but it was nothing much.

The sound of dainty feet arriving was pleasing, and he turned with a smile.

She looked pretty. "Ah there you are. Busy day?" he frowned at the out of place question (usually would be polite to ask, but in this instance not!) "Err... I mean... you look real sweet. I got you a little present." and he offered her a little ribbon-wrapped winter posy of holly with red berries and conifer with nuts.

Beth laughed a bit nervously when Ambrose asked about her day and then frowned and complimented her instead. If she were in any other line of work, it would have been an appropriate question, but no one wanted to know the details of a harlot's daily life. In truth, whoring was only what she did at night. Most of her days were her own.

“Thank you,” A hint of color splashed across her cheeks. “As for how I spent my day, I visited my family. That's what I usually do on my day off.”

Beth received a lot of gifts from her clients, and some of them were quite expensive. Yet the little bouquet he handed to her was sweeter than all of them. “It's lovely,” she said, lifting it up to sniff its fresh scent. At that moment, two gentlemen walked passed them and into Madam's.

“Shall we go?” she asked, knowing already how uncomfortable her charming date was around whorehouses.

(OOC: I wrote this awhile back and thought I posted it, but I guess I didn't. Sorry for the wait.)

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh, ah, ok..." Ambrose replied, thoughts adjusting in his mind. Yes of course he knew it was her day off, it had just become muddled because she had said to pick him up here. It was not a question to ask, but her house must be in quite an undesirable place if being picked up here was preferable. But he was hardly one to judge, he resided at a barracks with a hundred plus other men.

"Would you like me to..." he asked stepping forwards with the posy, "I think it's to be tied around your wrist." he felt embarrassed to say so, what was he to know of flowers, but that was what the flower seller had said.

A pair of derrieres patrons moved past them and up the stairs, Ambrose did not pay them much attention. "Are you warm enough, shall we walk?" the man asked, "Or I can hail a carriage."

OOC: no probs, there is no rush

Beth did live in a run-down neighborhood. Fine gentlemen like Lieutenant Turnbull were often robbed while innocently walking down the street, especially at night. If he had been wearing his uniform, he would have been left alone and most of the residents would be hiding behind closed doors. But as Beth suspected he would not wear his uniform for an evening out, she had suggested meeting at Madam's.

She made enough money to afford a better place, but her parents refused to move. They had lived in the same house for years and were happy there. Her brothers and sisters knew nothing else, and were also content. None of them had ever ventured out of the neighborhood before and didn't know what else the city had to offer.

“Yes, please.” One slender hand appeared from beneath her cloak and she held it out to him. Beth had never worn flowers around her wrist before. She had noticed some fancy ladies wearing them during the summer while they were shopping and had thought they looked nice.

“I'm fine with walking. It will warm us up.” She wasn't fond of carriages because most of the time when she rode in one, she was on her way to or from the houses of clients who were interested in deviant sexual practices. She was paid well for her participation, but she didn't want to be reminded of such things now.

Ambrose was charming and she felt like a princess in his company. She didn't want to ruin that with unpleasant memories.

His large fingers were clumsy upon the satin ribbon, but he did his best fastening the posy firmly to her wrist: his intent that it would not fall off with vigorous movement. (Which was probably more of male concern than female, she was hardly about to go off into battle!)

"There." he gave a pleased nod when finished, and looked at the entire of the picture she presented, pretty little face peering out from her cloak and then the splash of colour around pale hand that peeked out. "You look very nice indeed." He felt a bit embarrassed to tell her so, but, just wanted to tell her that anyhow.

"My thoughts also." he agreed, for different reasons than her own. A man upon soldiers salary did not needlessly hire carriages if he could help it. The money saved might buy his first pint, and perhaps a tot of gin for her to boot. (Not that he was poor, more thrifty)

Offering his elbow, he schooled his stride to be shorter so she could keep up. "So did you see your brother today too, the one you were telling me about? Had you told me his name...I am sorry I don’t' recall."

Beth thought that his awkwardness was adorable and she watched his face as he fastened the posy to her wrist. It was snug, but not so tight that it cut off her circulation or caused her any other form of discomfort. “Thank you.” Beth blushed prettily at his compliment. She was fairly new to her profession and had not yet become jaded. At heart, she was just a simple girl.

She had some money with her and didn't expect Ambrose to pay for her meal or drinks. However, if he offered, she would gladly accept his generosity. Beth knew enough about the nobility not to insult them by refusing, Nor would she want to decline, because he was sweet and she liked being taken care of for a change.

It seemed that he preferred to walk as well. “My brother's name is Jasper. When I was there, he and a friend were sparring with wooden swords. He wants a real one and I plan on buying him one for his thirteenth birthday. Maybe you would like to help me pick one out?” Beth didn't know the first thing about swords.

And so they begun their walk down the street..

"Jasper, ah yes, that rings a bell. Sorry I forgot." Ambrose replied. His attention had been less on the unmet brother, than the new friendship forming with Beth.

'Better you buy him a gun I'd suggest. You can carry on practising swordplay with wooden swords like he does, but he cant practise shooting with a wooden gun." Ambrose's answer was pragmatic. "He'll need to know how to shoot when he' joins a regiment."

“I wasn't even sure if I had mentioned his name,” Beth confided. “I did tell him I was having dinner with a soldier tonight and he begged me to let him come along.” She wondered if Ambrose remembered his offer to show Jasper around the barracks.

“He has to learn how to shoot before he joins the military?” she asked. “His birthday is not until spring, so I have time to find one for him. Will you help me pick out a gun instead of a sword? He'll also need someone to teach him how to use it.”

Yes he remembered the offer, but not realising that there was a question to that, he carried on.

"Many youths learn with their regiment, the experienced men teaching the new. Learning beforehand is not at all necessary, but will give him a little pride to not be completely naive when he joins up. And it will elevate him in the view of the others."

"Certainly I can help. But do you know, it would be a finer gift still if you let him be the one to choose his own gun - he can try out weights, and see what feels comfortable in his grip. We could plan a day of it, tell him you've a surprise for him, and we can all go to the weapon smith together. I can give him a few pointers on which to choose."

“And he will be prepared if he is sent off to war shortly after he joins.” Beth was the eldest child in her family and was protective of her younger siblings. She wanted to give Jasper his best chance in whatever path he chose, even if that path was a dangerous one. Not all soldiers die in battle. Lieutenant Turnbull survived and I know some soldiers who are much older than he is. A few of her johns had served in various wars, some of which took place before she was born.

Beth squeezed her charming companion's arm, grinning up at him. “That's a wonderful idea.” Part of the reason it was wonderful was because it meant that she would see him again. He was so intelligent and kind, and he seemed to care about the welfare of a young boy he had never met. “You will be in London next spring?”

"Precisely." Ambrose agreed.

"I expect I shall be here, unless there is war." He replied to her question, it triggered a vague train of thought that touched upon ambition and the uncertain long term. "Or if I gain some manner of foreign commission. You know when I was abroad, now and then we would need to provide passage to a man upon a diplomatic mission from His Majesty, or parliament, sometimes even both. You never know. I might be charged with such a mission. Though." he looked back to the girl and gave a tight-lipped smile, "I expect not. No, I shall likely be here."

"And you. You might have gotten your fancy housekeeping job by then." he tried to change the topic off him, to something more cheery.

“So sometimes you serve as a guard as well? That sounds quite interesting, and not nearly as dangerous as going to war. You also get to meet important people. If you impress them, perhaps it will lead to a more prestigious position, if that's what you're aiming for.” Beth didn't know him well enough to tell if he was ambitious or not. Some men were and some weren't. “I hope you're back in London by spring, though.”

She chuckled when he surmised she might land a housekeeping job in only a matter of months. Beth was more practical about her chances of moving up in the world, but it would be nice if it happened. “Perhaps. Will you let me know if you hear of anyone looking for a good maid? I'm not afraid of hard work.”

Beth grinned up at him. “I've told you a little about myself. What about you? Do you also have brothers and sisters or are you an only child?”

"Yes. I am in the 2nd, that is Monks if you don’t already know." odds were she did not. "We have duties about the palace. Though I am not in the Kings or Queens Guard specifically, I am Lifeguard still, charged with protection of the Royal family."

"Ah. Oh I see where you are going with this. Your brother could become a Whitehall guard yes, there is no requirement for noble lineage to be a guard, but then there is scant to no chance he'll get to interact with the nobles. He'll be standing around hallways, outside fancy doors mostly. Dead boring believe me. Advancement through those ranks would be much slower, you're basically waiting for people to retire before everyone steps up the ladder another rung. But going to battle, there is room for a young man to really shine, and ... well you get my drift."

"Yes, well we shall see." he left it at that, he would go where he was needed.

"Oh yes, I'll do that of course!" Ambrose replied. Though hopefully she had more fingers in pies than just the Lieutenant. He was not terribly likely to mix with people looking for a new housekeeper.

Taking a pause at a streetlamp, he took out his pipe and worked at his flint to light it, sucking it into life before they continued their stroll to the pub. (At least he supposed she was taking him to a pub?) "I've got two brothers, one older, one younger. Trent, he's the oldest, is the Baron Hastings now. And Jeffery is in the Church. I get on better with Jeffery than my older brother, but I think that’s the usual way." he strolled along, puffing at his pipe from time to time. “I don’t think it’s jealousy, so much as eldests are just a different sort. They are raised with expectations on them, that just make them not so nice. Or at least not so nice to younger brothers. Hah. Though it’s not like either of us wanted his job. Poor Trent, really I can hardly blame him for being such a dropkick.”

He did not usually talked about his brothers, about his family, but Beth was not going to tell anyone was she?

"He's insane we reckon. Jeffery has been searching out doctors to treat him. Hopefully they can cure him."

Beth didn't know anything about the military other than what her johns had told her, and most of the time they just complained. Madam's girls were not just trained to give pleasure. They knew how to listen. Sometimes clients let information slip that was of use to her employer. “Impressive,” she breathed. She wanted to ask him if he had met the King and Queen, but since he wasn't assigned to them, he probably hadn't.

She had actually been speaking Lieutenant Turnbull's own advancement rather than her brother's, but … “He would be safer serving as a guard, although I imagine he wouldn't like standing around idle all day. I already know that he longs for battle, so I'm sure that is what he will choose. I'll just worry about him, but I guess that is the lot of an older sister. I want him to be prepared before he joins, though.”

“Thank you,” she said in a grateful tone of voice when he promised to tell her if he heard of anyone who needed a maid. Beth had some friends in the service of various families whom she had asked the same thing. One of them, like herself, had once worked as a whore, so she believed that she would eventually find a job in a noble household too. She wasn't in any real hurry to change vocations. Fucking paid more than cleaning and she really enjoyed sex. Yet she knew the time would come when she would be passed over for younger girls and she wanted to secure a future for herself.

She waited as he lit his pipe, watching the smoke curl through the air. Beth was not certain if he had a particular destination in mind, but unless he stopped before they reached one of her favorite pubs, she would suggest that they have dinner there. The food was simple but delicious and the drink was of better quality than some places she knew. She thought that he would like it.

So the charming Lieutenant was the middle child. She knew enough about the nobility from listening to her johns that the eldest male inherited everything. Beth didn't think that was fair. Perhaps the oldest brother should get his father's title, but the others should have an equal share of the money and properties. She also knew that when a noble family had several sons, one usually went into the Church.

It seemed that in Ambrose's' family, nobody wanted the responsibilities of being a Baron. “Oh I'm sorry,” she exclaimed, her voice sincere, when he confessed that his brother was insane. “I do hope the doctors can help him. You must be as worried about his future as I am about Jasper's.

“And I know what you mean about not getting along. I have three brothers and three sisters and one of my sisters and I just don't see eye to eye. She thinks I'm a slut and that my profession is going to hamper her chances of marrying a lord.” Beth rolled her eyes. “I keep telling her that she'll be lucky to marry a man in a good trade, but she scoffs at me. Mabel is so insufferably arrogant.”

"And you are a better person because of that." Ambrose replied. It was nice to hear of her care for her brother, her brother was a lucky youngster.

Perhaps there had been some miscommunication, for Ambrose had thought that she was going to show him a pub she could recommend. He'd thought that was what he'd asked, and then he'd thought to invite her to dinner at the same time. It had seemed logical. But perhaps what he'd thought he'd said, and what he'd actually said were two different things. It would not be the first time.

"Hmm..." he paused to suck on the pipe once more, the ebony of the mouthpiece clicking against his teeth. "...well no, I'd not quite say that. I want the best for the family home, I'll probably retire there some day, I'd like to have a gaggle of nieces of nephews to tell old war stories to when I do." he gave a short smile, "So I want Trent to get himself together, my happy dotage is depending on it."

She told of her own family trouble. "Families. You can't live with em, cant live without em." Ambrose repeated the cant.

“Truth be told though, she’s right and wrong. Lords always consider families when considering making matches, so your profession would count against her, but then she’d never be considered as a wife in the first place. Perhaps she could be a mistress though. A kept woman. That is a viable career choice for her, I believe, and one in which your own vocation could only be considered a recommendation towards.”

“I hope so. Sometimes I think all my worrying is for nothing. My siblings will choose their own paths, just as I have chosen mine, and there's really nothing I can do about it. Would learning how to read help him move up in the military? I've been trying to teach him but he thinks it's a waste of time.” All of Madam's girls were taught how to read and write. Beth was the only literate member of her family. None of her brothers or sisters showed any interest in learning, not even Mabel, who was certain that she would marry a lord someday.

Beth guided him around a corner and into a relatively quiet street. There were a few people walking down the road or conversing in groups, but they gave the couple no more than a passing glance. “Why tell your war stories to nieces and nephews? Don't you want to marry and have children of your own?” She had thought that the main goal of the nobility, besides for rising in the King's favor, was to have heirs to carry on their family name.

“Very true,” she agreed. As to Mabel: "I told her the same thing, but she says becoming a mistress is beneath her dignity. She thinks that a Duke is going to take one look at her and fall in love with her, even though she isn't very pretty. None of the boys we know are interested in her either. But she's only fifteen. Maybe when she gets a little older, she will see how foolish her dream is.”

She stopped in front of a simple two-storied building. The sign on the post said 'The Flaming Phoenix' and below it was a simple painting of a red bird with fire for its wings and tail. “This is one of my favorite pubs,” Beth told him. “It's quiet and out-of-the way and serves excellent food and drink. Shall we go in?”

"I think any skill he can acquire would put him in good stead." Ambrose nodded with Beth's hunch that learning to read would be good for the boy. "Besides, reading enriches the mind, and there is plenty of time to read when you are a soldier, mark my words."

They rounded a corner to a quieter street. Ambrose would not have chosen that route himself, and he wondered if it was some shortcut that locals knew of? "No I don’t plan to marry. Wot, and leave a widow and youngsters with no father? There are too many war orphans already." he explained.

“Yes dreams are free. When I was fifteen I had fanciful ideas too. A few more years and reality will strike, and she will compromise like the rest of us. Really... it probably kinder to let her enjoy her ignorance while it lasts." he mused.

And then they arrived. It was not a shortcut to some greatly popular pub on a popular street at all, but rather a little tavern curiously named. "The Flaming Phoenix" he read, committing the name to memory, peeking through the windows and feeling a strangle pleasant feeling that it was not at all what he expected. Rather, something far more personal, intimate even.

Opening the door for her, he made a small bow, "After you milady." he gave a lopsided grin. It always surprised him when a moment of happiness struck. This was pleasant, this was good, he was pleased to have met this young woman.

“I'll tell him you said that. Knowing that a soldier thinks learning to read is important might persuade him to give it another try.” Beth chuckled lightly. “I'm just his big sister and he probably thinks I'm only trying to torment him.”

A dark brow rose quizzically. She had not expected such pessimistic reasoning from him. “So you think you are going to die young? Some soldiers live to a grand old age. There's even a hospital where they can retire. The grandfather of one of my friend's lives there.” Her voice took on a teasing note. “Maybe you'll change your mind when the right girl comes along.”

Her expression became thoughtful. “I guess I was too practical for fancies, even as a little girl. I always knew my limitations and what I could and couldn't do. I found a way to rise out of the poverty that I was born into, but there are those who say the price for that was not only my reputation, but my soul.” Most people thought prostitution was one of the worst kinds of sin, but she saw it as a much-needed service.

Lieutenant Turnbull opened the door of the pub for her and Beth preceded him inside with a smile. They stepped into a large room that was charming in its simplicity. Tables of various sizes took up most of the space and the delicious aroma of roasted meat filled the air. The tavern was about half-full, with a nearly equal amount of men and women. They were all dressed neatly, although their clothes were not as fine as those of the nobility.

“I call the Flaming Phoenix one of London's hidden treasures,” Beth explained as she led him over to a table in a corner. “It's not very well-known and it's difficult to find unless you know where it is. However, it's been here for years and it has a loyal following. Most of its customers are well-to do merchants and such. It's also quite safe. Anyone who looks like they might cause trouble are asked to leave.

“There's no menu. You just eat what their cook has prepared. But whatever it is, it's always delicious and filling.” As soon as she had finished speaking, a woman approached the table and asked what they wanted to drink. Beth ordered a glass of white wine.

When the waitress had gone, Beth leaned forward. “So what kind of fanciful dreams did you have as a child?” she asked.

"Reading, or any other skill he can pick up. You never know when a man ranked above you might need something done, and if you’ve got some skills, you might be the man to save the day for him. It might be the thing that gets him noticed, shortlisted, and took under their wing." He gave what he thought was good advice.

He said no more about his anticipated short-lifespan. If he was honest he'd admit that he was a bit surprised to still be breathing at 29. If he was honest, he'd admit he'd rather be dead than doing nothing. He'd felt alive at sea, where the horizon gave a man the sense of possibilities. Here, he saw walls.

"Have you ever noticed that souls are rated highest by people who have tiresomely adventureless live’s." he replied with a wink. "If you can, live a life that has you keen to get out of bed each morning - and plan a timely death-bed repentance. Besides, you'll make more interesting company in the eternal here-after if you've some good stories to tell." he huffed a laugh.

Then in through the door they went. The Lieutenant, though out of uniform, still walked with that military precision that gave him away, the fine sword at his side being another clue to his profession. "Looks like a nice place." he took off his hat and tucked it under his arm, looking about for a spare table they might take. Beth found a table first, and he followed after her as the moved to claim it, giving a polite nod to those they passed.

"Whatever is on the stove smells bloody good." He expressed as he relaxed into his seat. The barmaid asked for drinks orders, "I'll have two pints luv." Ambrose said, then looked at Beth and flushed. "Err, to keep me going." (The first pint always went down quickly.)

"Me?!" she asked of fanciful dreams, and he gave a laugh. "Well, as a lad I had ideas that I might have a skill that was needed by someone above me one day, and I'd get took under the wing. Then my future would be all roses and golden. I'd have become a captain, and maybe even an Admiral. Yes I used to day dream of myself stood up on the poopdeck, my fine admirals hat on, white britches that always stayed clean, sea breeze blowing in my face."

"Heh. Life."

Jasper was a clever boy, but he didn't have any practical skills. He was so obsessed with joining the military that he had not even given any thought to a trade. Beth decided to ask Ambrose what else he should learn besides reading after they were settled at a table in the pub.

She noticed that the charming Lieutenant didn't respond when she said that he would live a long life or to her playful teasing. Maybe war had scarred him and he didn't want to get his hopes up too high. Or perhaps she was prying too much. It was best to let that subject go.

His comment about souls made her laugh. “That's because those who value their souls the most think that they will blacken them if they have any fun.” She shrugged. “Fun to them is a sin. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I would rather enjoy each day to its fullest and worry about my soul when I'm old and gray.” An impish wink. “Maybe not even then.”

Beth didn't even blink when he ordered two pints. Her johns often drank much more. She did think his blush was rather adorable and she grinned at him to let him know that she didn't mind how much he drank. He didn't strike her as the kind of man who imbibed too much and she trusted that he knew his limits. Taking a deep breath, she relished the delectable scents. “That smells like their signature stew. If it is, you're in for a real treat.”

She listened avidly as he spoke of his dreams of moving up in the navy and becoming a captain or admiral. Had he given them up? “Those sound more like goals than dreams. You are still young. I don't know how much my opinion counts, but I believe that you are capable of achieving great things.”

He'd not replied toher comment that he might change his mind if the right girl came along, because it seemed like a ribbing, there was not really anything to say to it, also it seemed very unlikely.

"There, that is a good spirit for a 'working' girl." he smiled as she laughed delighted with his claims. "Course, if you get a serious job as a Housekeeper one day, you'll need to sing a different song. I don’t know why really, but seems like society likes their servants to be uptight and legs crossed."

"A signature stew, that sounds pretty special in itself. Heh, but they could serve me near anything and I'd demolish it. If there is anything I don’t miss about the Navy, it's the food. I think they teach naval cooks to make stuff taste so beastly, so as to conserve the rations." he gave her a wink, he was trying to make her laugh again.

"Goals you think?" if he'd been a little pink over the pints, he was fullblown red over this. "Nah, I'm not really the ambitious type, not clever enough. It was just day dreams. I... I am just a chap from Sussex, who's spent too much time at sea to know anything better." Gawd, he felt so foolish. "Err... so, you lived in London all your life?" he tried changing the subject.

"It's a good way of thinking for everyone, no matter what their position in life.” Beth grinned when he spoke of high society's expectations for their servants. “Not all of them. I hope to find a household with more relaxed standards. I doubt the stuffier nobles would hire a former strumpet, even if she claimed that she had reformed.

“It might take me longer to find the right placement, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm something I'm not. If becoming a housekeeper doesn't work out, I can always open a brothel and compete with Madam.” She had saved over half her earnings and already had a good little nest egg set aside for the future.

She made a face at his description of Navy food, chuckling lightly. “You're teasing me. Surely it can't be that bad. If it is, Jasper won't last very long. He loves to eat.” Her eyes narrowed playfully. “Maybe I should push him to become a Navy cook instead of a solider, so he can improve the quality of their meals.”

Beth had not meant to embarrass Lieutenant Turnbull and she felt guilty for telling him that his dreams sounded more like goals. He obviously did not share that opinion. Not all people were ambitions. Some were content to follow rather than to lead. Perhaps he knew his limitations just as she knew hers. Sometimes she imagined that one of her noble johns would fall in love with her and decide to marry her, but she knew it would never happen. It was not a goal, just a dream.

The barmaid returned, setting a simple glass of brandy in front of Beth, and two frothing pints in front of Ambrose. “No, I've never left London. Before I started working, I had never left the street where I'd been born. Now I know most of the city like the back of my hand.”

She leaned forward. “Where have you traveled? Have you been to any exciting places?”

• 3 weeks later...

"It is a vision." Ambrose replied, avoiding pointing out that she held more in common with her sister than she'd admit. He saw her as a girl in a futureless situation, who'd come up with a pipe dream to hold out for. He gave a sigh, for he'd never be in a position to help.

Talking of Jaspar, he chuckled of her notion. "Tell him whatever you will!" he drank of his ale deeply, "once he joins, he can hope to get into the kitchen if that is what he wants - though he wont be needing to learn to shoot if that is the case. Perhaps buy him a wooden spoon for his birthday instead - it shall be far cheaper!" he winked, guessing that the kid would be utterly dismayed - and she surely knew as much too!

"So your work has you traveling around the city then?" He was surprised at that revelation. Perhaps the Madam sent her girls out to clients houses? "Then your horizons are already considerably broadened." Ambrose was unable to imagine never leaving a single street, the life she'd led before was alien to the well travelled man.

“You might think anywhere beyond London exciting." he teased, and then answered.

"I've been to most allied ports of Europe. Up to the Hebrides, over to the New World, down to the West Indies. Travelled in and out of India. Why all over the place really." he took another sip of his drink. "England is a great trading nation, and her merchant ships need the protection of the Navy." he explained for the young woman.

Beth wasn't sure what he meant, or even if she wanted to know. Was he saying that her goals were visions of what the future held for her, or only dreams that would never be achieved? She chose to believe the former, even though he seemed pessimistic about his own life. He had admitted that he had little ambition. Well, she had enough for both of them. She would move up in the world one way or another, and hopefully she could pull her family with her, despite the fact that her parents had so far refused her help and seemed quite content to live in destitution. It was all they had ever known.

Jasper would make something of himself in the military and perhaps her other siblings would eventually accept her assistance. She laughed when Lieutenant Turnbull suggested that she buy her brother a wooden spoon instead of a gun for his birthday. “You know, I should do that. Wrap up a wooden spoon and then when he opens it up and tries not to be disappointed, I can tell him that I'm taking him to a weapon smith's shop to buy him a gun and that he'll receive pointers from a real soldier. He'll be thrilled.”

Beth shook her dark curls. “Not my work.” Madame rarely sent her girls to private homes unless she implicitly trusted the gentlemen who requested them. “I explore the city with friends on my days off. That's how I found this pub. One of my friends knew of it and brought me here.”

She knew that Ambrose was teasing her and she playfully stuck out her tongue at him. The stew arrived as he spoke of his travels … big wooden bowls of a rich fragrant broth filled with large chunks of meat and vegetables. A loaf of bread with which to soak up the broth accompanied the simple but hearty meal. Beth inhaled deeply while she listened. Most of the places he mentioned were familiar to her, but only because some of her johns were well-traveled too.

“So sometimes you just guard merchant ships? That sounds a lot safer than fighting in battles. Have you ever had to defend them from pirates? And did you see any cannibals when you went to the New World?"

Archived