JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Flowers That Yet Bloom | afternoon 29th- Xmas 1677

Guest John Bramston

John's house, one of the older and larger ones, had been redone in a grand style that spoke of wealth. The gardens, half completed, spoke of the same and a careful and skilled master besides. There was one out of place element: a half-completed catapult in the yard.

When Sophia knocked a stray bark could be heard, then a chorus, and soon a whole menagerie of animals could be heard gathering. A polished looking fellow that was a tad too stiff opened the door. "Lady Toledo?" He inquired.

A great many dogs, along with a few other animals, peered out at Sophia. They were good enough to stay in the door. But they had a curious, excited look about them. They were obviously eager to make a new friend.

Inside the home, the furnishings were also luxurious. While the home still had a darker character, a place that spoke of privacy and reclusiveness, it was permeated with warmth.

• 5 weeks later...

A carriage pulled up in the driveway, and the driver assisted Sophia out. As she limped up to the door with her bodyguard following behind her, she lifted the hem of her silver fox cloak just high enough to keep it from trailing on the snow-covered ground. She had already fallen once today. The young Baroness didn't want to repeat the experience or risk soiling this cloak too.

Beneath it, she wore a turquoise velvet gown liberally embroidered with pink flowers and golden leaves. A cluster of tiny golden beads formed the center of each flower. Her underskirt was made of pink moire silk, and she wore a golden necklace around her neck from which a turquoise pendant hung that had been made of Murano glass she had bought in Italy. Her hair was pulled up and fastened with golden combs, and a few long ringlets cascaded down her back.

Karl rapped on the door for her, and a servant opened it. Sophia smiled when she saw the dogs peering out at her. She had almost brought Aurora with her, but now she was glad she hadn't. “Yes, I am Lady Toledo.”

John’s grounds were meticulously kept. There was no snow or ice on the drive or stoop. And the stairs up to the stoop were wide and easy to climb. There was a ramp as well. John was particularly sensitive to accessibility. Plus everything here was designed for someone with a limp.

“Welcome.” The man was friendly but overly stiff. He gestured for the three to enter. “They’re quite friendly.” He said of the dogs. They sniffed and begged for attention but did little more. One particularly serious looking black and white dog had taken to the servant himself and stood at attention beside him.

“There is a waiting room.” He offered to her bodyguard and maidservant. He felt keeping them around impugned the safety and service of the house. But then, he was involved such things. It was a matter for Sophia to decide. “My Lord will see you in the library.” He gestured in that direction regardless of her decision.

The library was just off the main hall. It was large, well-stocked, and richly furnished. The room was warm and fires burned to keep dampness and rot at bay. The room had a large portrait of Robert Cecil and several other historical or mythological scenes. There was a beautiful, illustrated copy of the Battle of Maldon set out on a stand. There were also many chairs and the odd couch or desk, richly upholstered and comfortable looking.

The servant paused, “Would you like a foot pillow or a foot bath?” The pillow was if her leg was sprained or broken. The bath was if it was wounded or blistered. Or if she had gout, though she was not old or fat enough for that to be the culprit.

John was not there when they arrived. This was slightly unusual. It implied John was busy or caught by surprise (or was just being rude and making her wait). In fact, John had intended to receive Sophia on the second floor. The servant had redirected the meeting to minimize her time on the stairs.

The door was opened and Sophia hobbled inside, petting the dogs that sniffed at her. She had been thinking of getting a dog for Esteban, and was hoping that she would be chosen to receive one of the King's puppies that Lord Chatham had told her about. That one she would keep for herself, unless it preferred her husband's company to hers.

Anna had not accompanied her today, as she had been sent with a verbal message for Lord Arundel and had been given the rest of the day off. She had brought another maid with her instead. Karl would go to the waiting room, but the maid would stay with Sophia.

She followed the servant to the library, which she thought was quite pleasant. Her friend had good taste, but she had known that already. Sophia gravitated toward the fireplace and lowered herself into the nearest chair with a soft sigh. It was a relief to be off of her ankle.

“No, I will be fine,” she said when the man offered a pillow or a foot bath. She didn't want to call attention to her injury. There was a bandage around her foot, but it was hidden beneath her skirts. There was no sign of Lord Maldon, but she didn't ask where he was. She was certain he would be told that she had arrived.

The servant bowed and withdrew. The dog that was following him mimed his bow and skipped off pompously, tail wagging happily.

A few moments later two large dogs arrived. They sniffed suspiciously (and perhaps Sophia would see something of Karl in them). John appeared behind them and scratched the smaller one behind the ear. She suddenly looked like a puppy, curling into his hand and joyful. “Lady Toledo.” John smiled. “Welcome to my Westminster house.”

John moved over to a chair next to hers. The two dogs settled in near the fireplace, eying her with disinterested suspicion that was fading into pure disinterest as Sophia (presumably) did not attack John. “Before we… begin, I wanted to ask you about something.” John gestured and a young girl (about Sophia’s age actually) came in with an overfull cane stand. She placed it before them and withdrew.

“I’m always… gifted a great mass of c-c-canes. I suppose they figure it’s better than gloves,” Gloves being a stereotypical gentlemanly gift. “Since you’re so fashionable, I was hoping you c-c-could help me sort through some of them. See which I should keep and which… I should give away.” In reality, this was all an excuse. John was attempting to give Sophia a cane or two (and some lessons as to its use) in his usual, subtle but polite fashion.

(Though John also did get more canes than he could count every Christmas.)

Sophia watched the tow large dogs enter the room, sniffing the air. They probably smelled her cats and perhaps another scent that they couldn't identify. Monkeys, though not uncommon as pets in Venice, were rare in England. She had played with the felines and Aurora before she had left the house.

John was right behind them, and she smiled warmly at her friend. “Thank you, my lord. What I have seen of it so far is quite lovely.” As he sat down beside her, her eyes followed the dogs as they flopped down close to the fireplace. “I think you might have more pets than I do.” The petite blonde had quite a menagerie.

She tilted her head to the side when he said he wanted to ask her about something, and in a matter of moments, a servant arrived with a stand full of canes. He certainly had a lot of them. A cane would be useful in her current situation and would take some of the pressure off of her injured foot. Unfortunately, she didn't own one and she wasn't certain if Esteban did either. Many gentlemen used canes as a fashion statement.

“I promise that I will not give you a cane for Christmas.” She winked teasingly. “Or gloves. I'll be happy to help you sort through these, but I confess I know very little about canes.”

• 3 weeks later...

“Maybe,” John said with a gentle smile, “I’ve always loved p-p-plants and animals.” John’s decorative taste included a fair number of indoor plants. He left out that he rarely felt judged by them. His dogs, if they ever sensed John was unloved or hated, just loved him more to try and make up the difference.

I wonder what she is getting me. John smiled in amusement at her winking tease. “Oh, I’ll show… you how they’re used. I’d just… l-l-like to know what you think looks good. Why d-d-don’t you try this one?” John plucked a cane from the stand. It was a wooden cane, stained red. It was thin and could be easily made feminine or masculine within the user’s fashion.

There were no obviously feminine canes in the stand, but John had a wide variety. More so for himself than other gentlemen, they were a necessity. While he could walk without him, he walked more evenly with them.

“Why d-d-don’t you try walking and see how it feels… and l-l-looks?” It was a chance to help her with her form. John was not a particularly offputting fellow because he’d long ago learned how to be as polished as he could within his limitations. Now that Sophia shared one, he was glad to share what knowledge he had.

“I can tell.” Sophia had noticed the plants when she had entered the room. All of her own were in her orangery and were currently being taken care of by a gardener, except for the ones that she had brought from Spain. Those were still in the drawing room on a table close to the fireplace. They looked much healthier than when she had first shown them to him. She dared hope that they would all survive.

Why did he want her to try out one of the canes? She could tell him which ones were fashionable just by looking at them. She studied the thin red one he held out to her, but made no move to take it. “I think it would be better if I remained seated. I fell into a pile of slush this morning and ...”

His intention finally dawned on her and she smiled wryly. “Your servant told you I was having trouble walking, ja?” Or perhaps he had watched her hobble to the door from a window. “And you would like to offer me one of your canes to make it easier for me to get around.”

Sophia leaned forward and took the cane from him. It was plain enough that she could decorate it with ribbons, lace, and jewels to match her gown. Using it as leverage, she stood up, flinching as her ankle shifted painfully. Holding the cane on her bad side, she lifted her ankle and tried to hop on her good leg. Losing her balance, she fell back onto the chair and sighed. “I think I must have done that wrong. I confess I have no idea how to use one of these things.”

• 2 weeks later...

John hoped the plants would live too. He would send for them soon and probably send them up to Maldon. He had more substantial facilities there. He would cherish them, both because he loved the exotic and because they were from Sophia. He dreamed of getting seeds and spreading them far and wide…

John smiled and listened politely as Sophia objected. His faced was sympathetic as she spoke of her accident. John’s intentions dawned on her and he smiled happily. He couldn’t resist a small puff as she stated it bluntly. That had always been Sophia’s way, but it was charming in its fashion, as Sophia was herself.

“Indeed.” He confirmed. He was thinking of offering her two, actually. The cane Lucas had given him was topped by bright dancing ladies. He thought it would look better with Sophia, and that she could better use the gift. (Besides, it was from last season and so suitable to be a hand-me-down.) But another would be for more utilitarian purposes.

John watched her movement carefully. He moved forward just slightly as she fell, anticipating she might fall further than she did. But she fell harmlessly in her chair. He smiled at her confession, “It’s quite alright. Watch me.” John took his own cane and stood up. It was a little different since John’s foot didn’t actively cause him pain, but it was a smooth, practiced motion. His ankle was kept safe and he was able to stand up with minimal awkwardness. John was very polished in the ways a gentleman should be, and that had never failed to come through in his bearing.

Drawing himself up to his full height, he smiled and looked to critique Sophia’s form.

OOC: Ack. Somehow I managed to not post this by mistake! Sorry!

Sophia was afraid she might have offended him by guessing the true reason he had brought out the canes, but he smiled and acknowledged that she had been correct. It was sometimes difficult to figure out how to act around the English. They weren't as blunt as she was, and telling him point-blank that he had already known about her injury could have been seen as impolite. But Lord Maldon knew her well and didn't mind that she had stated his intention outright.

She did like his smile. He was one of her dearest friends and she would always be glad that they had met in the palace gardens several months ago. He was so good to her. And they had quite a bit in common and they both loved to learn new things. Today she would begin teaching him to sing, hoping that it would help his stuttering.

She felt guilty when she lost her balance and he leaned forward as if to catch her. Luckily, she had not even been able to take a single step and collapsed back in her chair. If she had tumbled to the floor, a servant would probably have had to help her up and that would have been embarrassing. She didn't know if John would have been able to assist her on his own.

Sophia smiled gratefully when he offered to show her how to properly use a cane. She had never paid much attention to the way he walked before but now she watched carefully as he stood, surprised at how gracefully he did it. “You make it look so easy,” she teased.

Again with the cane on her bad side, she rose, this time placing her injured foot on the floor without putting any pressure on it. The petite blonde tottered precariously, but managed to remain upright. She felt extremely awkward. “Better?” she asked. “Should I try it again?”

• 2 weeks later...

John smiled, just a bit of pain tinging its edges, “I’ve had a very, very long… time to practice.” John had not been left off from the obligations of a noble son. He had been polished up as best his parents could, and they could do quite a lot there. He could have assisted her if she fell, albeit it would’ve taken some time.

John smiled and nodded approvingly as she came up and tottered. This time he didn’t move to assist her. When she stood his smile was wide and bright. There was a bit of pride, the pride of a teacher in a student and a friend in his friend. “Much better,” John said with a smile, “You’ll m-m-make as fine a cripple as I do.” He teased in reply, hefting his cane to make his point.

“You should t-t-try it until you’re comfortable.” John would provide not only advice but a safe place. She didn’t need to fear trying to look graceful or falling over in front of him. John didn’t mind at all whether his friend was as graceful as she’d been on stage. She was his friend, even with an awkward gait. "And I'll show you how to walk with one, how to... c-c-climb stairs and the like." They were going to be together for a while. He would make small comments and allow her to observe how he did it.

For the moment John waited to see if Sophia sat back down to try standing again or preferred to move onto something else.

Sophia felt guilty about reminding him of his afflictions. The subtle sorrow in his smile told her that she had brought back painful memories. If she had thought she could manage it, she would have reached over and squeezed his hand, but if she tried, she would probably lose her balance and fall in his lap.

His smile broadened when she asked if she was doing better. Now she could see the pride in his expression. “You are not a cripple!” she insisted, belatedly realizing that he had been teasing her. “You just have a few more challenges than most people. You handle them well, and you have not let them stop you from doing the things you enjoy. Now that I know a bit of what you experience on a daily basis, I admire you all the more.”

He was such a considerate friend to her. Obediently, Sophia plopped back into the chair and stood again, repeating the process several times until she could do it proficiently, if not with grace. “There!” Her lyrical voice held a note of satisfaction. “I think I have the hang of it. If you can teach me how to walk, I can practice that for a few moments and then I will begin to teach you how to sing.”

Archived