JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Under the Light of a Thousand Stars | Late Evening- Xmas 1677

Guest John Bramston

John rode up on his horse, in high spirits as he often was before he went out. He was much more at home in nature, even in this weather. Even the presence of younger sisters was forgiven in his mood. (Something he had personal experience with, considering his family.)

Two large dogs ran alongside him, yipping and twirling and going before the horse and behind. When he stopped in front of Ormonde's house, they both stopped with him. Yet they were dissatisfied. Surely they were going to get more of a run than this? Lar made small sounds of protest, feinting away as if hoping John would follow. Fas just looked at John with the widest, cutest eyes he could, like John was holding his favorite bacon just out of reach. Even his horse was disappointed and huffed as if teased.

But John dismounted instead and walked up to the door. The light flurries didn't bother him at all. In fact, he didn't seem to register them, even though his dogs were increasingly becoming white. His horse, fortunately, already was for the most part.

The two dogs followed along, watching studiously. He knocked and waited with barely restrained eagerness. He wanted to get out in the heath.

OOC: Tag Aria. Starting it here since this is where they'll end up.

Just as the butler came to the door, three ladies on horseback approached from the stables behind the house. Henrietta Butler and her sister Elizabeth rode in front, and another lady rode slightly behind them. “Good afternoon, my lord!” Henrietta called, pulling her horse close to his and dismounting. The other ladies followed her example. At a nod from the third lady, the butler bowed to John and closed the door.

Henrietta was wrapped in a dark fur, with a matching hat sitting atop her honey-blonde curls. She was pleased to see John again, and a sweet smile turned up the corners of her lips. “Lord Maldon, I would like to introduce you to my sister Lady Elizabeth Butler, and our chaperone Lady Blackburn.”

Elizabeth resembled her sister, but her hair was auburn, and she was by far the most outgoing of the two. She was seventeen years old and had a mischievous smile. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Lord Maldon,” she said. So this was the type of gentlemen her sister fancied. He was probably a boring bookworm. Still, looking through a telescope would be fun.

“Delighted,” Lady Blackburn enthused, holding up her hand to be kissed. She was a widow of twenty-two, with porcelain skin, gleaming ebony curls, and intelligent gray-blue eyes. The chaperone was the prettiest of the three ladies and had a flirtatious air about her.

“Good afternoon!” John replied. He lingered on Henrietta just a moment. His heart warmed. It was… good to see her again, in a visceral way. He took a moment to register what she said when she spoke. John nodded and quietly petted his dogs. They were suspicious of the newcomers and looked poised to protect him.

John was wearing a sturdy riding outfit, embroidered with scenes of a white horse and Robin Hood. There wasn’t much fur but it was a sturdy, well made, and practical outfit. He had a small sword on his side and his horse had two lances placed for easy access along with its baggage.

They were easier for him to use because they were couched and thrust. So, they were much more forgiving of trembling hands than a gun. With his dogs, he looked almost like he was going hunting. But it was more concern for safety. The countryside immediately around London, everyone knew, was unsafe. And they'd be returning in darkness.

“A p-p-pleasure to meet you too.” John said to Elizabeth. John shook Lady Blackburn’s hand. He only kissed those he felt comfortable with, he trusted. What a curious choice for a chaperone. John was regretting not bringing along a distracting friend. “Delightful.” He replied.

“Shall we get going?” John asked. He was eager to get out, even though he’d spent most of today outside. He loved the outdoors even more than he loved books. “Where are we g-g-going?” He looked to Henrietta for that.

Henrietta blushed when Lord Maldon looked at her. She was pleased to see him too, but since the night of the ball when she had witnessed a half-naked woman sitting on top of a man in the labyrinth, she had been more reserved than usual. As hard as she tried, she couldn't get that horrible scene out of her mind. She wasn't entirely certain what they had been doing, but it had definitely been improper. Though she had wanted to tell her sister about it, she had kept that shameful incident to herself.

Still, she couldn't deny her attraction to the charming Earl and was happy that they would have this time together, even if they wouldn't be alone. She smiled at the dogs as John petted them. Hopefully, they would be friendly and not nip at her.

Henrietta and Elizabeth exchanged amused glances at the confused look on Lady Blackburn's face when Lord Maldon shook her hand instead of kissed it. They were fond of their chaperone but it was fun to see her flustered.

“Yes, we need to be going if we want to get there before dark,” Elizabeth declared. Although John looked to Henrietta when he asked where they were going, the more outgoing sister answered. “There's a hill in the countryside that should be a perfect place to view the stars. There are no trees around it to obstruct the view.”

John’s smiled brightened at Henrietta’s blush. He felt a sudden urge to hold her, to whisper reassurance. He didn’t mind her shyness but he hoped she would be comfortable with him.

John let out a puff of amusement at Lady Blackburn’s flustered look. But he smiled warmly, hoping she would feel welcome in their company. His gesture had not been meant as a rejection in any sense.

Elizabeth answered his question, “As you say.” John agreed with an easy smile. He tapped his horse which loped a little, allowing him to mount more easily. As he swung on he addressed the younger sister. “Want to race? First one there g-g-gets first turn on the telescope?” He challenged Elizabeth with an amused smile. Henrietta might remember John had specifically said he didn’t like racing.

As usual, Henrietta was content to let Elizabeth take the lead. Perhaps she and Lord Maldon would be able to speak privately when the others were looking through the telescope. She smiled as Lizzie explained where they were going. She didn't have to worry about her sister trying to steal him John away from her. He wasn't the type of gentleman she fancied. And since he had not kissed Lady Blackburn's hand, Henrietta gathered that he wasn't interested in their chaperone.

All three ladies remounted. “How can you race me when you don't know where we're going?” Elizabeth laughed. “But you can try to keep up with me once we're out of the city.”

It was still early enough that the streets were crowded. Henrietta tried to ride beside John when she could, but sometimes they had to go single file. Elizabeth led the way and Lady Blackburn brought up the rear so that she could keep an eye on both of her charges.

Eventually, they left London behind, and when the traffic thinned out, Elizabeth spurred her horse into a gallop. “Catch me if you can!” she called. Henrietta looked over at John, wondering if he would take her sister's challenge. She did remember that he had told her that he wasn't fond of racing.

John would try to talk to the others as well. He was annoyed that Elizabeth had come along uninvited but he would’ve wanted to meet her eventually anyway. And he found Lady Blackburn curious. But he’d need to get to know her better before she got her kiss.

John let out a laugh at Elizabeth’s objection, “You’d tell me how to… get there.” John’s tone implied the solution was obvious. He wagged a finger, his scold actually a taunt. “You’re j-j-just afraid of losing.” He was not concerned with getting lost.

But after that he followed quietly. He too tried to stick close to Henrietta. From time to time his horse would bump hers just a little, and he’d smile. I should have asked them to meet me on Piccadilly. John thought.

Then they were free. John took a deep breath. Elizabeth spurred off into a gallop. “Well,” John said, shifting in his saddle. “Ladies first?” He looked at looking at Lady Henrietta and Blackburn. He wanted everyone involved. Even John’s dogs were obviously getting ready for a run. Lady Blackburn probably has to chase her down daily.

Elizabeth tossed her head. “We have to get through the city first. Then we can race.”

Henrietta smiled shyly at John every time his horse bumped hers. Was he doing it on purpose or was it accidental? It was fortunate that her own horse was easygoing. She was an accomplished horsewoman but even the best sometimes lost control of their mounts. Their chaperone, riding behind them, was unable to see their smiles. Lady Blackburn was more concerned that they didn't touch each other.

Once they were out of the city, Elizabeth raced ahead, her brown curls bouncing behind her and the feather in her hat bobbing merrily. Henrietta didn't like racing either but she did like to let her horse run free. “Very well,” she said with another shy smile and dug her boots into her mare's side. The horse broke into a gallop and Lady Blackburn followed. At this speed, they would reach the hill in about ten minutes. It had taken nearly twenty to get out of town.

John let his horse run free, but his pace was rather more leisurely than a race called for. His dogs ran alongside him, staying close. Truthfully, he’d never had much chance of winning. His horse was laden with packs and theirs weren’t. Still, he wasn’t going too much slower and, while he’d come in last, they wouldn’t have to wait for him to arrive.

The ride was (for his tastes) on the shorter side. He'd thought they might get some distance between the three and some mischief would result. But he supposed it made sense they chose a place close to London. He carefully watched to see who got their first, second, and third.

When John caught up with her, Henrietta rode beside him again, looking down occasionally to make sure that the dogs stayed out of her horse's way. She knew he would allow her to look through the telescope, and wasn't as impatient as Lizzie to be the first. The pace he set was ideal, not too fast nor too slow.

Surprisingly, Lady Blackburn sped past them, catching Elizabeth and trying to pull ahead. She didn't know the area as well as her charges, for she had only recently arrived at court. When the hill came into view, she knew that was where they were headed. It was not a large hill, but it would suit their purposes well. There were no trees to obscure their view of the stars.

Lady Blackburn made it to the top first, Elizabeth following close on her heels. John and Henrietta were the last to arrive, and the other two ladies had already dismounted and were bantering about racing back, Elizabeth claiming that she would win next time. Henrietta slid from her saddle and looked at the packs on Lord Maldon's horse. “Can I help you with those?” she asked shyly.

John let out a puff as Lady Blackburn sped past. Interesting. John looked forward to getting to know her better. (He looked forward, too, to her eyes being in a telescope.) But any other thoughts were banished by Henrietta coming up to him. His eyes flashed with surprise but then shifted into a very pleased expression. He waved at her briefly and stole little looks for the rest of the ride. This is… pleasant, John’s lacked the words to describe the depths of the emotion.

John smiled over at Henrietta one more time before dismounting with a bit of awkwardness. He fished a metal spike out of his pack and drove it into the frozen ground. There were no trees around to tie horses to so the spike would do instead. He was tying his horse off when she asked him. John looked over at her and smiled.

“Thank you." John's smile widened, always grateful for considerateness. "B-b-but first, I have… something for you.” For the moment they were, at least relatively, alone. John went over to one of those packs and fished out a book. It had no title but was well bound and professional looking. He held it out to her, “I hope you l-l-like it.”

It was a book of pictures from John’s travels over recess. The first page was a map from southwestern England down through the Rhineland. There were titles and page numbers with a line drawn to where the picture was from. He remembered Henrietta had asked him for stories of foreign lands and spoke about them wistfully.

As the sun set they could go through some of them. That they wouldn’t get through them all and would have to continue another time… well, John was fine with that.

Lady Blackburn took her responsibilities seriously, but she saw no harm in having a bit of fun. Lord Maldon and Henrietta couldn't get up to any mischief on horseback, and she knew that her charge would never ride off with him so that they could be alone. If it had been Elizabeth, she would have worried, but Henrietta would never behave so rashly. However, she did breathe a bit easier when they joined them on the treeless hill.

Henrietta had been wondering what they would do with their horses while they were looking through the telescope, and had figured that they would just hand off their reins to another when it was their turn. But John had come prepared and she watched as he drove a metal spike into the ground. He was a lot stronger than he looked.

He had brought a gift for her? She wasn't certain if it would be appropriate to accept anything from him, but when he pulled out a book, she couldn't help but be intrigued. Taking it from him, she turned to the first page and gazed at the map, understanding exactly what it was without him having to tell her. Lifting her eyes to his face, she smiled. “Thank you! I hope you will be able to tell me some stories from your travels as we look through it.” It would give them something to do while her sister and chaperone peered through the telescope.

Lady Blackburn looked over at them and when she saw that they were studying a book together, she didn't think anything of it. Henrietta loved to read and Lord Maldon looked like the bookish type as well. As long as they weren't reading erotic love poetry, she wouldn't interfere. Her gaze turned to the spike. “Let's tether our horses,” she suggested to Elizabeth and the two ladies walked their horses over and tied them to the spike.

“What are you reading?” Lady Blackburn asked.

Henrietta turned the book around so that her chaperone could see the map. “It's a book about Lord Maldon's travels during recess.” She hoped that Lady Blackburn would let her keep it.

Elizabeth came to peer over her shoulder. “Where did you go?” she asked him.

This was John’s element, more so even than the rooms of the great houses he’d grown up in. He’d not brought Henrietta out here as a ploy to get her away from everyone. (Well, perhaps a little of that.) He’d brought her out here because he was introducing himself.

John smiled at the proceedings and then let out a puff at Elizabeth’s question. In the cold air it was very visible. “I started in Maldon, went to… the Netherlands, and from there down the Rhine.” That was one contiguous route, from the port of Maldon through the North Sea to the ports of the Hague and Amsterdam down the Rhine river.

"I’ll t-t-tell m-m-more after we’re set up.” John didn't intend them to lay exposed to the elements. "And no snatching the b-b-book away. It's for your... sister." In this it might be divined John had two younger sisters. He was familiar with one steamrolling the other.

He turned to Henrietta and smiled brightly. He held out a chest. “It’s the t-t-telescope. Be careful.” Despite the fact he would carry much more, his task for Henrietta wasn't idle. The telescope was very delicate and John didn't want to balance it while carrying other things, especially not with his hands.

With that John turned back to his horse. He took off the packs and slung them over back and shoulder. He then loosened his saddle slightly so the horse would be more comfortable. He let out a bit of rein so they could move and tossed a large, warm blanket over them so they'd not be cold. "I'll be b-b-back." He said. "Whine if you g-g-get cold." He patted the horse warmly.

John whistled and his dogs came up beside him. He leaned on the pikes to even his gait. "I've b-b-brought a half tent and some blankets. Some liquor too, to ward off the... cold. We c-c-can set up against the slope to shelter without obstructing the top's view. And it'll g-g-give us good protection from the wind and snow. I've g-g-got the makings of a fire but we c-c-can't set it till we're done with the telescope. It n-n-needs darkness."

The girls' mother was Dutch but neither of them had ever been to the Netherlands, or even out of England. As for Lady Blackburn: “I've been to the Netherlands and to the Holy Roman Empire. We should compare notes someday.” She had traveled quite often with her late husband, and it had partly been her adventurous spirit that had attracted him to her. Neither of them had been content to spend their recesses on some remote estate, but had visited other countries instead.

Both of their families had disapproved, believing that traveling so much prevented her from conceiving and giving her husband an heir. He had been gone for two years now, and while she missed him, she was ready to marry again.

Lord Maldon promised to tell them more later. When he told Elizabeth not to take the book away, Henrietta smiled at her. “Don't worry, I'll share.” She didn't want their chaperone to believe that it was precious to her or she might demand that she give it back.

Henrietta took the chest he handed her and held it tightly, pleased that he had trusted her with his telescope. It appeared that John had thought of everything, including keeping the horses warm. All three ladies had blankets in their saddlebags for just that purpose, but it turned out they didn't need them.

At the moment, they were warm enough from the race to the hill, but the air was chilly and it would be colder when the sun sank below the horizon. “You came prepared,” Lady Blackburn remarked. “Thank you for thinking of our comfort, my lord.”

John looked surprised but in an approving way at Lady Blackburn’s revelation. “I’d l-l-love to.” Lady Blackburn was proving more and more interesting. “Who knows, maybe you c-c-could come along next time I go.” John had extended a similar offer to Henrietta last season (although chaperoned or with a male relative along). She’d demurred.

John smiled at Lady Blackburn’s praise. It was always nice to be recognized. “I w-w-wouldn’t leave you exposed,” John said with a smile. He held out the bottle of liquor, smooth and sweet so it would go down easy. “I think it’s b-b-best you have control of this.” Liquor was a well-known way to keep warm outside. Watchmen in winter were often issued a ration. It also had other uses that the girls’ father might approve of.

John took out the rods and tarp. The half tent was easy to assemble and he threw in a spare blanket. Against the slope it was basically protected from the wind and had a decent view up the hill. He wrapped the other around himself for warmth.

John turned to Henrietta before going up the hill. “You can set the telescope… up, if you w-w-want.” John’s hands weren’t the best. Besides, John thought Henrietta would enjoy it.

“Then we should make plans to meet again.” Lady Blackburn was a bit surprised when he invited her to join him on his next journey. “We shall see,” she replied enigmatically. The young widow needed to learn more about him before she made a commitment like that, but an Earl would be a step up if he was interested in marrying. She could ignore his infirmities if he was wealthy and from an influential family. If he was just interested in an affair, then he would be disappointed. She was no libertine to fall into bed with every gentleman who came along.

Henrietta was a bit jealous of the easy rapport between John and her chaperone, but she tried to hide it. Her father would never approve of a match between them and she would be wed to whomever he chose for her. Yet she couldn't deny that she was fond of the young Earl and she had thought he felt the same way about her. Now she was not so sure.

He trusted her with his telescope, though, and had ridden beside her instead of racing ahead. Maybe she was just being foolish to think that he preferred Lady Blackburn over her. He didn't seem particularly enamored when he handed her the bottle of wine.

“Yes, perhaps I should keep this,” the chaperone agreed. It wouldn't do to bring her charges back drunk, not that she thought they would imbibe too much on purpose. They were both good girls, but it was quite cold and alcohol could take the edge off a chill.

All three of them watched as John set up the tent. It would be a welcome shelter once the night set in. Henrietta's worries disappeared when he offered to let her set up the telescope. “I would like that, but you will have to tell me what to do.”

At the top of the hill, she gently sat the case on the cold ground and opened it, kneeling down beside it as she awaited John's instructions.

“When would be convenient?” John asked. John just nodded to Lady Blackburn’s answer. He hadn’t invited her. He’d only spoken of the possibility. He found Lady Blackburn interesting and wanted to get to know her better. But that was it for the moment.

At the top John watched Henrietta kneel. That turned to watching Henrietta and when she looked up at him... Well, it caused John to blush at least. He obviously wasn't thinking of telescopes. His eyes met hers again, much more quickly than they had before. After a few moments he managed to begin.

The contents of the chest were relatively simple. The telescope was a cylinder, with complex knobs and levers hanging off of it, and there was a tripod. There were a few screws to attach them to each other. Operating the telescope would be a bit more complex but those mechanisms, while delicate, were already assembled. “You p-p-pull the legs of the tripod out and then turn the screws… on the side to tighten them. Then you p-p-place the telescope on the tripod and turn the screws to tighten it on top.” His tone had the faintest hint of his look in it.

That was not the end of the set up. They still had to calibrate it. But that was the first step.

“We c-c-can look inside, if you want. But we’ll n-n-need to cover it.” It was gently snowing tonight. John offered her an edge of the blanket he had around him to pull over herself and the device. There was a screw on the side that opened a panel to let them inside. John didn’t think of that they were disappearing beneath a blanket (albeit standing and obviously working on equipment).

“I will check my schedule and get back to you.” It was never wise to appear too eager to meet with a gentleman. Lady Blackburn also noticed the envy in Henrietta's eyes. She seemed more than mildly attracted to him. But did he share those feelings?

It appeared he did from the expression on his face when Henrietta knelt down beside the telescope case. I will have to watch these two closely. This time it wasn't Elizabeth who needed to be kept in check.

Henrietta blushed too when his eyes met hers, and she tried to hide it by looking down at the telescope as he told her how to set it up. Ever curious, Elizabeth came over and peered into the case. “Do you mind if I help?”

“Of course.” Between the two of them, they managed to set up the tripod and attach the telescope to it. Henrietta smiled shyly when John offered to share his blanket with her. She glanced over at her chaperone, who shook her head slightly.

Luckily, she was saved from refusing by her sister, who placed her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes. “Shouldn't Lady Blackburn and I get to look first, my lord? She won the race and I was right behind her."

She didn't know that the telescope would need to be adjusted before they could use it. Nor was it dark yet. The sun was just beginning to set, splashing beautiful colors across the sky.

John did feel deeply for Henrietta. Still, he was… bothered. She’d not looked at him or met him after Parliament. She'd not even sent word. At the dance a few days ago he’d seen her dancing with others happily. Since it was a ladies' night to ask, that meant she'd gone up to others but not him, even when he was near her family or looking for her.

For the moment he still felt… happy to be around her, a lightness in his heart and butterflies in his stomach. But there was a gnawing, tugging doubt that hadn’t been there before. Only a hint though. She still captured his eyes, causing them to linger with longing that John, increasingly, was understanding.

But he'd invited her out hoping for a sign, for some reassurance. And while he'd not received it yet, the night was still young. There was a part of him, the greater part, that knew that she'd hasten to assure him. And that was all he needed, just a word of reassurance.

Then a little sister interrupted. Again, something John was all too used to. After a moment, John let out a small puff at Elizabeth’s pose. She reminded him of his youngest sister. “Do you w-w-want to see how a telescope works too?” John asked. Lady Blackburn was welcome to look as well.

“We can all look inside it.” John said. He’d offered to let Henrietta look inside the telescope, to see its inner workings. They were opening up the body using a hatch intended for maintenance, not looking through the eyepiece. That, and the front, was still capped. He had not forgotten that Elizabeth and Lady Blackburn would look through it first. John looked forward to Lady Blackburn's vision being focused millions of miles away from her charge.

“But we c-c-can’t let snow get on the inner mechanisms.” John hadn’t seen Lady Blackburn’s nod but someone would have to hold the blanket on the other side. It was a delicate instrument and he didn’t want to get snow in it.

He only intended a peek anyway. He was not qualified to explain it all in detail and there was a sunset and a book to go over for the hour or two until it was dark enough to use.

OOC: Henrietta dancing with others and being distracted from John is from BG and Defiance respectively.

Henrietta had been too shy to ask anyone to dance at the ball. She had let Elizabeth do the talking, and they had approached gentlemen in pairs or in groups, so that there would be partners for both of them. The reason she had not sought out Lord Maldon was because he had arrived with a pretty lady on his arm and she had seen them together again later that evening. He seemed quite attentive to her, and until she had received his letter, Henrietta had thought that he had forgotten all about her.

She wasn't comfortable showing affection in public, especially in front of her sister, who would tease her unmercifully if she knew that she fancied him. Henrietta wasn't aware that Elizabeth had already figured it out or that Lady Blackburn suspected that she and John had feelings for each other. They were out in the open here and she didn't think they could get away with holding hands as they had done in the labyrinth. And she was no longer as sure of him as she had been before the ball and his casual interest in her chaperone.

“Of course I do,” Elizabeth replied. Her sister was considered to be the smart one, but she felt that she was just as intelligent. She was also extremely curious. Looking closer, she noticed that Lord Maldon had opened a hatch in the body and had not been talking about peering through the eyepiece.

“I wouldn't mind seeing it as well,” Lady Blackburn said. “And I'll help you keep the snow off of it.” She took the edge of the blanket and spread it over all of them. There wasn't much room and they had to huddle together. Henrietta was standing next to John and she moved her head close to his so that she could see the inside of the telescope, smiling shyly.

John didn’t want to call Henrietta to account. He just wanted to know that she still felt as he thought she had. His emotion wasn’t anger or jealousy but worry. The fear that she’d forgotten him over recess. That her inaction was not shyness but apathy.

But John was in an optimistic mood. Henrietta made him happy just by her presence and there was a part of him that… knew things his rational mind did not.

“Alright then.” John said to Elizabeth with a smile. John held out the edge of the blanket to Lady Blackburn. Henrietta might find it gratifying that he moved to make room for her rather than seeking to get close to the beauty.

John looked at her shy smile and blushed again. He was becoming more experienced but Henrietta reminded him of when he was wholly innocent. Still, it took a mighty effort to resist the urge to lean in, towards her lips… His eyes were drawn there but they flicked away quickly. He gently bumped against her, just a slight motion. He looked at her for just a moment afterward so she would know it was purposeful.

“Let’s see what’s inside.” John pulled open the hatch to reveal a complex system of mirrors and lenses. There were mechanical parts meant to adjust those lenses. John gently turned one of the levers to adjust it and the mirrors and lenses slowly moved.

“Fascinating.” John said. This was new to him too and he looked at it with a focus, analytical eye. “D-d-do you want to give it a try?” John was offering to Henrietta, though that wouldn’t stop Elizabeth.

It was a bit dark beneath the blanket. Henrietta didn't see John's blush, but she did notice that his gaze fell to her lips. Color splashed across her cheeks and she lowered her eyes demurely. Then she felt him bump against her, and she looked up again. He had done it on purpose and she smiled, but did not bump him back. Neither Lady Blackburn nor Elizabeth caught the subtle interaction between them.

They all found the inner workings of the microscope riveting and leaned closer to get a look at the moving lenses. Henrietta thought that John was asking her if she wanted to adjust it, but Elizabeth, as usual, spoke up. “I want to try it.”

“You will get to look through it before your sister,” Lady Blackburn said. “Let Henrietta be the first at this.”

Elizabeth sighed and Henrietta beamed. “What do I do?” she asked John. “I don't want to mess it up so that we won't be able to see the sky.”

John smiled at the scene playing out before him. “Ah, yes.” John said to Henrietta’s question. He gave a thorough explanation of how to use the mechanisms of the telescope. It would be difficult to break them unless Henrietta forced something. It was good for them to get familiar before they actually operated it anyway.

“It’s Dutch, you know.” John shared. He’d brought it back from his trip. “Have you ever been to the Netherlands?” The question was directed at Elizabeth since Henrietta was busy and Lady Blackburn had already answered. John was wondering what stories would best entertain.

The three ladies listened intently to John's instructions and then Henrietta made a few minor adjustments, watching as the lenses changed. She didn't think she would break it, but she hoped that they would still be able to see when they looked through it. Lord Maldon seemed to know what he was about, so if she made a mistake, she believed he would be able to fix it.

Elizabeth was eager for her turn, but she smiled when John asked her if she had been to the Netherlands. “Neither my sister nor I have traveled abroad, but my mother has told us stories about her homeland.”

Telescopes needed to be adjusted based on the object being observed. Jupiter was different from a star. Mars was different from Jupiter. And so on. It was why it was so easy to adjust. If Henrietta set it so it was perfectly aligned to look at some empty of sector of space, changing it again would be simple.

“Oh, really?” John was surprised by that. He presumed the daughters of an Irish duke would have been to Ireland. Maybe Elizabeth didn’t consider Ireland and Scotland foreign countries. But John was English enough that he did.

He knew where to focus now. There were plenty of landscapes and scenes from there. They were a bit happier too since the area was less war scarred. “Any choice ones?” He said with a smile. Perhaps they could trade stories rather than John just telling his experience.

“No, not really,” Elizabeth answered. She knew better than to speak of her mother's childhood without her permission and most of the stories she had told her daughters had to do with her own experiences. She grinned flirtatiously at John. “Your stories are probably more exciting.”

Jealous of the attention her sister was receiving, Henrietta moved away from the telescope. “You can have a turn now, Lizzie.”

The younger girl immediately looked at the inner workings and began pulling levers.

“I can hardly wait to hear about your travels,” Henrietta remarked shyly.

Lady Blackburn remained silent, holding her end of the blanket and watching the interactions between the Earl and her two charges with interest.

John let out a puff at Elizabeth’s answer, a white breath in the cold of the night. How well bred they are, He marveled, not for the first time in Henrietta’s case. “Oh yes, daring escapes, the engagement of a princess, the… destruction of an ancient city.” John had learned his lesson from talking to Lady Somerset (although these were real events).

John smiled easily to Elizabeth’s flirtatious grin. And Henrietta’s reaction produced a wider smile. (It showed, too, where each lady’s priorities were.) His heart warmed at the shy praise and he beamed.

Though he wouldn’t admit it, not in front of her chaperone anyway, John had been trying to impress Henrietta. She’d mentioned an admiration for the well-travelled men. John had done what he could to become one.

“I c-c-can hardly wait to tell you.” John said, plainly eager. “Maybe I could show you where I started from. Where I live. We’ll save the foreign bits for when they’re done?” The question was directed at the other two ladies.

John imagined those would be boring to Elizabeth and Lady Blackburn. But maybe Henrietta had some interest in where John lived (and where, if they married, she would live).

Elizabeth's eyes widened when he spoke of his adventures, but at the moment, the telescope was more intriguing and she took Henrietta's place.

“Yes, I would like that,” the elder sister said. She didn't think her father would let her marry Lord Maldon. But she did fancy him all the same.

“Stay under the blanket,” Lady Blackburn instructed Henrietta. “You can look through the book while Elizabeth and I are peering through the telescope.” She would be able to keep a better eye on them while they were out in the open.

Elizabeth stepped back. “It's your turn now,” she told her chaperone.

The raven-haired widow handed her the edge of the blanket and looked inside the telescope but didn't touch anything. “Fascinating,” she declared after a brief moment. She was now standing next to Henrietta. “Do you need to readjust it before it's ready?” she asked John.

The sun was quickly setting and the sky was a deep violet hue.

John nodded. He wasn’t going to object, especially not to be ordered to stay close to Henrietta. When she got the book, he flipped through the pages to one of the early ones. “That’s… Maldon.”

It was a landscape of a large city with a smaller city across a river, like London and Southwark. It had bridges running across and an active port. It was walled and had several unique looking buildings. A strangely shaped church, what looked to be a school, and something that had obviously been a deaconry before the Dissolution of the Monasteries. There were great docks and the city had a commercial look to it.

It all looked very old and very English. “I live very c-c-close by. From there you c-c-can get a ferry to Colchester, Chelmsford, Harwich and… the sort in a few hours. Oh, and the naval yards at Brightlingsea. London and Norwich are b-b-both a day away.” John lived in a wealthy, urban area. There was a real animation to him as he spoke of his home.

“Or a ship to the continent.” He left the segue open. “I departed from there.” John pointed to Heybridge docks. They were large dockyards on the far side of the bridge. (Heybridge was the equivalent of Southwark for Maldon, a smaller city across the bridge). After that there was a pause, to see if they were going to dwell longer on his home or go across the channel.

John’s attention was briefly taken away by Lady Blackburn. John smiled easily, “You need to… adjust it when you look at the stars. Change the focus and distance for each one.” John closed the hatch and locked it again. “You’ll get the hang of it… quickly.” He promised. It was a good deal simpler than the large ones at the Royal Observatory.

Henrietta looked at the drawing with interest as she listened to John describe his home. He did seem to be quite fond of it. She didn't think she would ever get to visit it herself, but she liked to see other parts of England, even if only in pictures. “It looks lovely,” she commented, “and close to so many places.” Her eyes met his. “You miss it, don't you?”

Her sister and chaperone were finished fiddling with the inner workings of the telescope and Henrietta hoped that she and John would have some more time by themselves to discuss his travels before the evening was over.

“Can we look at the stars now?” Elizabeth asked, “Or do we need to wait until it's darker?”

Archived