JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Snow, Squirrels, Mazes, Oh My! | 12/26 - Late Afternoon- Xmas 1677

Diana Butler

Labyrinth

Made of man high evergreen bushes, the Labyrinth was an elaborate design with several exits. The entrance could be found just outside the Privy Garden.

Its shape was geometrical which of course was fashionable. The center contained a wonderful fountain that spouted water high up into the air with a delightful little spray. Several seats were arranged around the fountain. It was considered the height of romance to spend a moment together in the center of the Labyrinth because of the privacy it offered. Often lords could be seen chasing ladies, with squeals of delight.

The air was frigid but lacked the unremitting bite of the wind that Diana loathed. The heat of the Indies was something she missed, even longed for on some days, but the memory of the steamy heat of the tropical summers was something that seemed to be fading from her mind. Every year she remained in England, exposed to its contrasting climate, was another year of memories that slipped from her. Not that she regretted being back. England had been her home long before the Indies and she was determined not to look backwards. Diana dealt with what was in front of her, one step at a time. That sometimes meant taking two steps forward and one step backwards but that was the price she’d pay to make progress.

It was mid-afternoon by the time Diana had returned the second time from the Chapel. She’d overseen to a few details with the servants on menus and their plans for the next several days. An hour had flown by and she was aching for some fresh air, even if it was cold air. Dressed for warmth and walking, Diana and the spotted coach puppy Lord Sussex had given her, Queenie, were in the Privy Gardens near the Labyrinth.

It was Queenie’s first winter and snow was her new favorite thing. She bounded and jumped, sliding and tumbling through the snow. In short, the spotted puppy was having a ball romping around the paths in the park and around the fountains. Her tail swirling in rotary fashion as she raced in circles around Diana and back to the fountains drawing a laugh from the blonde Countess. After a few minutes of this, the cold didn’t seem as noticeable, the fur muff had been discarded to her maid freeing her hands up to put her fingers up to her lips in a shrill whistle and wave an occasional stick at the enthusiastic puppy.

A small flash of red darted across the path of the entrance of the Labyrinth and coincidentally in front of the excited puppy. Queenie, ever a game little lass, took to a chase right into the maze of bushes. Yipping with squeals of glee as she more aptly hopped after the red squirrel. Queenie might have actually have caught the squirrel if she’d not been so excited that with every dart of the nefarious little creature she hadn’t had to slow down and carefully pick her way through the bushes. Diana followed after Queenie as best she could, calling her back but not achieving much success.

In a contemplative mood following his meeting with the Queen, James had elected to go for a walk in the gardens of Whitehall as conducive to meditative contemplation. Few ventured into them enthusiastically in the winter, and they were a quiet place to contemplate the state of the world.

Quiet that was, until an excited yipping sounded on the cold air, interspersed with a piercing whistle. James was wandering in a section of the labyrinth as the sound grew more ferocious and drew closer, and before he knew it a squirrel, closely followed by a small dog, burst through the shrubbery right at his feet.

The squirrel took the opportunity to make an opportune climb to safety, scampering up James’s small frame in a spiral manner before making a leap to safety in a bare birch tree. The doctor, desperately swatting at the climbing squirrel, bowled into and jumped upon by the small dog, fell over into a snowdrift with a genteel exclamation. This brought his face within reach of the little dog, and he was rewarded with an enthusiastic licking.

“Well, hello there.” James said mildly, trying to fend off the enthusiastic puppy. “You’re a friendly little thing aren’t you?” He asked it rhetorically, trying to find enough pause in the paws to get himself out of the snowdrift.

Diana rounded on a hedge aisle in time to see an odd sight. Lord Wentwood was doing some sort of new dance with some rather odd movements. She only hoped it had to do with the squirrel running up the length of his body and that he wasn’t doing that savage little dance prior to the squirrel’s scurrying. Blinking her eyes a couple of times, it dawned on her exactly what the black and white spotted puppy was about to do and in slow motion she lurched forward missing her opportunity to grab her dog before she lept onto the good doctor killing him her enthusiastic kindness.

When had been the last time she’d really noticed the good doctor? Hmm? Perhaps when Lady Mignonette had ran off with him? She’d been a staunchly allied to the Duchess of Savoy, but still the marriage seemed a bit odd even now. It had been a silent wedge between her and Lady Neville… It didn’t seem to matter as much now… He’d done a marvelous job of foiling the Duchess’ plans. Diana would give him credit in that regard.

Reaching down, Diana grabbed Queenie by the collar and pulled her off of Lord Wentwood. “I apologize profusely, my lord. I fear that snow and squirrels were just too much for her, her poor control just seemed to snap.” Despite being held by her collar, Queenie seemed to wiggle around as if she just couldn’t sit still.

“I wish I could say that this never happened when around Queenie but I am afraid that would be stretching the truth by quite a lot.” A sheepish look made it’s way to her face. “Here let me help you up…” Diana offered him her free arm as support against the mushy snow that would no doubt freeze over again as soon as the sun fell for the night.

• 2 weeks later...

As he lay in the snow trying to fend off the overexcited puppy, a new and entirely more pleasant vision appeared in the skies above him, one slim hand reaching down to curtail the puppy’s enthusiasm. “Why, an angel of the Lord has come to my rescue.” James declared with an amused smile as he tried to push himself out of the surprisingly deep snow.

Diana came to his rescue further, offering a hand in an odd turnabout, though James was careful not to lean on her overmuch. Every man knew that women were delicate creatures and to be treated with care. “Thank you Lady Di-, ah, I mean Lady Gowran.” He corrected himself. For she’d been web at Brighton if he recalled correctly, and to an Earl no less. A good match. “No trouble at all, if we had Louis and Minerva here there would be twice the trouble.” He dismissed her concerns.

“In fact, that’s quite the good idea. Noni and I should take the dogs for a play in the snow, perhaps down to the park, once the puppies are weaned.” He prattled as he brushed the last of the snow off his clothing, which was crafted from a rather fine cream brocade and his coat’s current state would no doubt cause his servants conniptions.

“How have you been? I fear it’s been quite some time.” And they’d not exactly been allies in the past though in truth they’d not had much direct contact over the whole Savoy affair and James would quite happily put the whole of that situation behind him. “I trust you’ve been keeping well?” A reflexive glance over Diana’s graceful form didn’t reveal any telltale signs of pregnancy, which were often expected in a young wife. How else had married life affected her? Then again, James would also show some changes; he’d lost the weight he’d put on the previous year and a tell-tale smattering of freckles across his nose suggested he’d been spending time out of doors.

“La! If the Lord has sent me to you, we are both in trouble. It’d appear it was my little demon whom you need rescuing from!” Diana laughed lightly, no one ever thought she was an angel and probably with good reason too. Ever thankful that the good doctor didn’t lean too heavily upon her. It wouldn’t have taken much to drop the normally polished beauty into the snow.

“It’s quite alright, I have to catch myself still to keep from introducing myself as Lady Diana.” She murmured, her lips turning up just a little on the corner in amusement. Diana relaxed just a little as he admitted it was no trouble at all. Queenie found something else to distract her and began to sniff the ground around their feet.

At the mention of Noni, Diana tilted her head curiously at him. “How is your Lady wife? I believe I heard a congratulations is in order for a new birth, no? Has she quite recovered yet?” Her stance with Savoy over Noni’s marriage had been a strictly political one. As a Catholic, seeing the King married into a rather staunch Catholic family had been a rather obvious choice. Perhaps, the animosity went a little deeper between the Doctor and the Savoyards but that was something Diana was not a part of, her loyalties were rarely to anyone other than herself. She didn’t hold on to lost causes, the doctor had married Noni and as such… that chapter was closed in Diana’s mind.

The countess’ cool grey eyes studied him for a moment and nodded earnestly. “Ah! Yes. It’s been awhile hasn’t it. “ She softened and smiled, “But I am well.” His gaze instantly seemed to drift over her frame and fought the urge to blush. I do… not… blush at things. This glance over her seemed different from most men she knew. Shifting slightly out of nervous habit. I trust you’ve been keeping well? Did he see something wrong with her? That thought caused her to blanch a little…

“I… well… I’ve thought I had been? Is there… Is there something wrong?” Could he tell if something was wrong by a glance? Most doctors could, couldn’t they? Honestly Diana didn’t know much about doctors, she’d hardly had a sick day in her life except for the occasional headache or injury. Dropping her gaze down at the length of her, “I’ve just returned from Ireland and all the travel and activity has been a little tiring but I thought the country air well made up for all the traveling.”

James thanked the Lord that men didn’t have to change their names when they wed; usually anyway. If he’d had to switch to introducing himself as de la Rovere he’d be forever muffing it up. Fortunately Diana excused the slip. “Noni is very well, thank you, as is Rachelle. She’s eight months old now. We did retire to Wales after the birth so that Noni could recover,” he acknowledged, “and it did us all a world of good.” James was certainly looking well. The Welsh countryside agreed with the little family.

It occurred to James that, with Alexandra gone, Diana might be one of the few friends Noni had from before her marriage. “I’m certain that Noni would love to see a friend, if you’re inclined to visit.” James suggested. “In fact, we’re planning to have a little tea party in the near future, perhaps you and your Lord husband would care to join us?” James didn’t care about people’s religion so long as no one made a fuss about it. They all ultimately served the same master.

Is something wrong? James realised his scrutiny might have been a little too keen, and unlike Diana the little Baron blushed quite noticeably. “My apologies Lady Gowran, for my unforgivably rudeness.” He said quickly, a bit flustered. “I’m afraid it’s all too easy to fall back to viewing the world with a doctor’s eye.” He tried to explain. “You are looking very well. I was simply wondering whether your union had been blessed yet.” After all, Noni had fallen pregnant quite quickly.

“It will be the fashionable thing, of course.” James added with an odd little smile, trying to hide his embarrassment. “What with Her Majesty expecting.” With a Royal heir on the way there would probably be an almost competitive trend, not to mention fashions suitable for a lady with child.

• 4 weeks later...

Rachelle. What a lovely name! Names had never had much appeal to Diana before her marriage. They were what they were and she tried not to spend too much time dwelling on things like the sounds of it or how it went with the rest of a name. After being married though, names held a little more significance. They weren’t something that occupied her every thought but occasionally and in the right situations they did force her to do more than just give in that they were what they were.

“That is a relief to hear!” Diana replied politely, with an earnest smile. “I must press my husband than to retire to the country when our blessed event occurs. It does seem to have settled well with you.” She wondered what eight month old babies did all day? They hadn’t learned to walk or talk yet. How did they occupy themselves?

She startled a little at the mention of Noni loving seeing a friend but a nodded her head with a small smile. “It would be good to see her again. If you are sure it wouldn’t be an inconvenience, I’d be pleased to accept the invitation for myself and Lord Gowran to a tea party. I’d love to pick your wife’s mind about motherhood. I must say, children are not really something I know anything about so, my knowledge is I fear very, very rudimentary.”

The doctor blushed and her eyebrows shot upwards. Good heaven’s! A quack that blushes! A year ago, when they both weren’t married she might have had quite a bit of fun with that… a puckish little imp in her head still might if it got half a chance. “Blazing cannons! My Lord, there is no need to blush so. If anyone needs to apologize it should be be for being so blunt. I was just assuming since you were a Physician that such talk would not surprise you. Please excuse my indelicacies… I should not have put words to my questioning thoughts. But thank you…” Her words drew almost quiet and her gaze fell to the puppy for distractions, “I… I do not think we’ve been as blessed as yourself.” Steeling herself she lifted her gaze and met his directly, she wasn’t a coward… she’d ask him her question. “That’s not anything to worry about though is it? I mean… sometimes it takes a little while, no?”

The idea of pregnancy being fashionable hadn’t been something that crossed her mind, the rumors about the Queen’s pregnancy were swirling about but no one had a good answer to things. Except… perhaps this very man. “Yes, that would be something wouldn’t it… and so many married so recently… You might have just uncorked the next big fashion trend since ermine.”

“Of course it wouldn’t be an inconvenience; quite the opposite! We’d be delighted to have your company.” And that would give his beloved wife a chance to reconnect with someone else she knew. Yes, it was all shaping up well. “We’re thinking the afternoon of the 30th.”

Suddenly Diana was apologetic, but there was something in the way that she spoke that made James uncertain as to whether he was being sent up or not. Still, always better to give the benebit of the doubt. “Not at all Lady Gowran, you perhaps misunderstand the reason for my… discomfiture.” He said carefully, having already flushed slightly pinker. “As a physician I take the privacy of patients – and indeed of anyone with regards to their medical status – very serious. I am… chargrined because the question of whether or not you might be pregnant was absolutely none of my business.” He said frankly. She hadn’t volunteered the information as the Queen had, and he should never ask.

Then Diana turned the tables, suddenly making the subject a professional concern. “No, not at all.” James assured her. “Indeed, I was quite surprised that Noni and I conceived so quickly.” Surprised but pleased. “Some women do, and some take time; just as some bear a babe every year or two, and some rather more modestly every few years. But there are few woman who cannot bear at all.” Such was his experience. “It is God’s design, after all.” Having children was part of the core being of women; it was why those who could or did not often suffered from hysteria.

“It would make things interesting, certainly.” James replied with mild amusement. “At least at first. Somehow perhaps less pleasing once things come full circle.” And the pregnant women laboured. “Still, perhaps flowing dresses and a lack of corsets shall be the thing this summer?” He suggested. After all, he vaguely recalled Diana as one of those women who always looked fashionable. “What do you think, Lady Gowran? Could one build a new fashion on such things?”

“The afternoon of the 30th would work well I believe for me.” Diana and Noni hadn’t been the closest, but they had known one another. It was Diana’s understanding that Noni had been much closer with Alexandra then she had herself, but maybe the opportunity to connect with someone else… maybe that would do her good as well.

“Ah! Well in that case I am afraid I did misunderstand your reasons for discomfort.” She paused, “It’s quite comforting to know that you take privacy that serious, I am afraid not everyone feels that way. If I may be so frank though…” Diana relaxed a bit more again, “If there was something wrong with me medically… or something off. And you could tell something from my appearance than whether or not it was any of your business I would have been perfectly okay with you mentioning it to me…” With a small wave of her hand, “With discretion of course but… I don’t fear that you are not the indiscret sort to begin with.”

But there are few women who cannot bear at all… The words played over a couple of times in Diana’s mind as she digested them. It brought a relief to her and she nodded slowly in understanding. “That is... “ She searched for the right word, the met his gaze, appearing more relaxed than she had during this entire conversation. “That is… a relief.” Her gaze softened, “It seems like has of lately women are conceiving so quickly. With the Queen and everyone else… it has been a little overwhelming.”

She smiled a little. “Flowing dresses and lack of corsets. Perhaps yes to the first and I can’t hardly ever picture a world without corsets… would have to be my answer to the second. The lack of corsetry in public denotes a certain imagery that is not entirely flattering to one’s reputation. Perhaps looser corsetry? And of course darker colors… they are much more flattering to the… um... round figure…”

• 2 weeks later...

“It does seem that way rather.” James agreed on the subject of women conceiving quickly. “Though I’m not aware of anyone other than Her Majesty who is currently expecting.” But then it wasn’t exactly something you made a big fuss about. A woman could lose her child, or it might not survive birth. Once they had been Christened there was more certainty of their survival. “All things in God’s good time.” James assured Diana. “A healthy lifestyle and husbandly attentions and I do not doubt you two will be blessed.” And perhaps it was odd that the little man might blush at the thought of privacy violations, but could say ‘husbandly attentions’ with a completely straight face.

It was always a delicate area, the question of whether or not to intervene – or even offer to do so - when it was obvious that someone’s health was not optimal. It wasn’t always taken kindly, though admittedly that didn’t always stop James. Still, with Lady Gowran’s permission… “Should I have any cause to suspect your health might have suffered without your knowing, I shall not hesitate to make that observation known to you, discretely.” He promised. He could only wish that others would trust him so.

Diana’s observations on his fashions suggestions made the good doctor chuckle. “And that, dear lady, is why you are a doyenne of fashion, and I let my manservant dress me.” He replied cheerfully. James’s fashion sense had long ago been pronounced dead, and he had no particular issues of pride with that subject. “I shall be intrigued to see what fashion’s leaders come up with, in the coming months.” Of course, James himself might still be one step ahead of the game, since he served Her Majesty closely.

“How did Ireland treat you, Lady Gowran?” James asked suddenly, aware that, like himself, she was an English transplant. “Wales has proven quite to our liking.”

“La! But I wish I could take notes…” Diana half laughed, as he provided counsel. This was definitely not her milieu. The only child of her parents, she’d been raised in isolation. In addition, the Howards, like most influential families didn’t see much use for children until they were of a certain age to participate in the society. His assurances alone were something she wanted wrote down. Something she could read every day and settle her anxieties. “You make it sound so simple.” She snickered, her head shaking to keep from laughing a bit more. “But I shall try and stop worrying so much.”

His promise of disclosure should he note anything unwarranted was another relief. “I… I…” The blond beauty wasn’t sure what to say. “Thank you.” Letting out a breath she hadn’t realized she’d even been holding on to. “That relieves me to know you would be so candid. I fear, many people hold onto things that sort of eat at them from the inside out. I do hope you mean that, that you’ll tell me. I shall take your word though.” Glancing around for her puppy’s whereabouts, she was spotted nosing around the at the hedge. Returning her gaze to the good Doctor.

“Ah! So tell me true? Are you avoiding your wife’s advice on dressing?” Diana teased, a cheeky smile forming. “It must be a husband trait for Lord Gowran doesn’t let me pick out his wardrobe either.” Was that an eye roll from her? “I shall not stop trying though…”

At the mention of Ireland, her eyes lite up a little more. “It wasn’t at all what I was expecting.” Her cheeks flushed a little in surprise of her own enthusiasm of the answer, but she continued. “Travel to and fro wasn’t really for the weak-hearted but once we were there and settled… Ireland was magnificent. I couldn’t get enough of the riding there. And my goodness! The hunting… The hunting was jolly. I am still rather new to hunting but… Ah! It was a thrill.” She bit her bottom lip and shook her head, blonde curls bobbing. “Ireland was very agreeable.” Diana made an attempt at sounding more subdued in her last comment.

“That is wonderful to hear about Wales.” She wrinkled her nose and added, “Can you imagine being stuck somewhere that wasn’t to your liking… imagine the fortune to be spent avoiding your home…”

• 1 month later...

“Ah, well,” James looked down shyly, “I think that, as with most things in life, the theory is simple; the execution not always quite so much.” For there were myriad complexities around and within relationships. His own with Noni was happy and had proven surprisingly fruitful, though if the deep, lustfull passion that the Libertine lovers wrote of actually existed, he hadn’t seen it. He adored Noni absolutely, but he couldn’t really claim to lust after her. Perhaps it depended upon one’s temperament.

Was Lady Gowran so concerned for her health? It was an odd thought, for she did not look to have cause to worry. “Absolutely I shall be candid, if that is what you would have of me.” He assured her. “I think that there are those who will complain that I am candid whether they would have it or not.” His moustache moved in a brief, wry smile. “But please believe me when I say that I can see no cause for concern.” He paused for a moment, before adding quietly. “If you do have concerns of your own then I would be more than happy to make a private consultation, if you would like.” Here was hardly the place to speak of one’s health concerns, especially if they were of the distinctly feminine nature.

Her sudden accusation drew genuine laughter from James. “No, not entirely.” He admitted. “I often let her choose the colours, though I take my tailor’s advice on the style.” For Noni was far too fond of bows and fairy-themed embroidery. Certainly James was more often seen in pastel shades these days than he used to be, though if he had his own way he’d dress in the practical dark tones of a doctor still. “Perhaps you might reach a similar compromise?” He suggested, wondering what Diana might try to dress her husband in, though he had observed that she had far better fashion sense than many at court. If she was his wife he’d likely be inclined to take her advice.

If Diana was ebullient in her descriptions of Ireland, it drew only a warm smile from James. “Excellent! It sounds as though our adopted lands have much in common then; Wentwood is also green and ripe for hunting.” Though he’d made a cottage industry from it rather than indulging in overmuch himself. “It is a dour thought, isn’t it? And I’ll admit that I was somewhat leery about the prospect of Wales, but found my fears entirely for nought. It has proven quite delightful, though I’m not certain I’ll ever master the language.” He admitted. He was going to try however.

• 4 weeks later...

Diana had a true talent for taking the simplest of tasks and making them more complex than was needed. Her cupid’s bow shaped lips twitched cheekily as the good doctor looked down shyly. “Perhaps execution is not the right word… it leads one to thoughts of murder and less to the method.” Darting her gaze away, she sighed simply. She’d never had any problems with the method… perhaps that was because both of her lovers had been older, and well schooled?

Things were going just too smooth for her. It was terrible to say, but she was looking for that other shoe that was bound to drop at any moment upon her happiness. “That is exactly what I would have of you… and those who complain about it are fools.” He set her at ease that the other shoe didn’t appear to be her health. Letting out another relaxing deep breath, she shook her head softly. “I don’t have any concerns… not as of yet. I suppose I am just expecting the worse is all.”

“Oh, but I bet Lady Wentwood is quite at home choosing the colors!” Diana chuckled. Dressing a husband was quite like playing dress up with your dollies. Her grey eyes twinkled and she gave a small shake of her head. “I’ll expect you to tell my husband just how wonderful my taste is and how he should listen to it. He’ll not listen a wink to me.”

“Yes, I know quite what you are talking about on the leeriness of Wales… or rather Ireland. Lord Beverley told me horror stories of the number of sheep and the liberties the sheep were given in the kitchen that I was quite terrified of what I’d gotten myself into. But, I was quite surprised… and the sheep were quite a bit more reserved at Gowran Castle. “ He lips lifted impishly, “But I have made a decision that I shall bring Lord Beverley a lamb back this spring after lambing season commences.” She gave a small roll of her eyes, “I do not think I shall be mastering Celtic anytime in the near future either… the natives’ English is almost a language of it’s own as it is…”

Archived