JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

To the Countess Alyth | Afternoon, Saturday 24th September 1678

James had been at a bit of a loss as to what to do with himself. He was at court yes, but he felt awash and adrift, without real direction or purpose. Reminding himself of why he had come in the first place - to protect the Prince, and to care for children generally - James decided at last to write to his old friend and first patron, the Countess Alyth. She had been amongst those who had raised the money for the Chelsea Veterans Hospital, employment at which had drawn him into courtly circles in the first place. She had also been planning an orphanage if he recalled correctly. He wondered where that project was up to.

To Catriona MacGregor
Countess Alyth

Does Sir James, Doctor Winchester
Baron Wentwood
Send Greetings.

Lady Alyth,

I do hope that this missive finds you and yours hale and hearty, and would apologise for the time lapsed since last I enjoyed your company. How are your sisters? And is young Nessia still growing like a weed?

I have arrived at Windsor rather tardily but am here none the less. I wish to ask whether there might be a convenient time for me to call on you, as I hope to discuss the orphanage which I recall you were planning, and may well have achieved by now.

I regret that my lodgings in the Hen's Toes are such that I feel I cannot in good conscience invite a lady to join me, but would have no objections to meeting in a location of your choosing.

Kindest Regards,

Doctor Winchester

The letter was accompanied by a brace of partridge which had come from his forest of Wentwood. Cecil had the foresight to bring a few pairs, and now that they were arrived James needed to use them quickly.