JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Tinker, Tailor, Doctor, Lawyer | Mid Morning, Saturday 24th September 1678

Royal Mews

The Household Cavalry, the oldest English regiment, consists of The Life Guards and The Blues and The Royal Horse Guards. The regiment consists of two units comprising all three "colors". The mounted regiment, as opposed to the unit commonly known as the Life Guard (despite its broader mix) maintains the Royal Mews.

Here enough stabling is provided for the horses of those who are in residence with the Household Cavalry as well as any visiting dignitaries and nobles. The well covered building is also used to provide shelter for coaches.

It had taken an hour for Cecil to return to the Hen's Toes, convey the facts of the situation to his master, James to ready himself and then ride over to the Royal Mews. Since he was staying at the Hen rather than the castle he had his horse stabled there, but the mews was as good a place as any to meet his old acquaintance, and that acquaintance a very good place to start the day. 

"Good morning, Lord Mountjoy." James said calmly as he caught sight of the man in question, thinking that if Charles had already ridden out this morning he might not be interested in another ride immediately. But then he might well, given his reputed passion for such things. For James the ride was an excuse; something for the two men to do.

Winchester's horse, of which he was fond, poked it's head through the stable door as his master entered. It was not a refined head. Called Burdock, the creature was not an elite hunter nor hack; he was what happened when a lord's hunter stallion jumped the fence and got in with the tenant's draft mare. Whilst a first cross, his cob-type build was easily recognised as a good, all-purpose horse, though rather larger than a true cob. James favoured him because of his even temperament and ability to carry equipment along with a rider. He'd also taking to pulling a hackney like he'd been born to it, but was never going to win any races. Burdock sighted on the Solicitor General and blew a horsey raspberry in greeting. 

James himself looked... like a doctor. When he'd first come to London James had dressed plainly, in simple charcoal wools, a neat collar and a hat; almost puritan in style. The only real difference now was that this suit had been dyed black. There was perhaps a little more lace at the collar and cuffs, it was perhaps rather better tailored, but the pretty pastels and effervescent style favoured by his wife that had been associated with Lord Wentwood had vanished. And in the thinness about his normally youthful features and lines about his eyes, he seemed to have aged. 

Still, he made his way inside briskly enough. "We Oxford alumni should convene more often." He suggested by way of conversation. "How was your ride?"

Mountjoy was easy to spot. He was standing in the stable yard next to a white Norfolk Trotter mare. He had divested himself of his coat and was brushing the mare down himself as a stable lad stood by holding his coat. The greeting of Burdock was as readily accepted as that of his rider. “Ah, Doctor Winchester, and a good morning it is.” He greeted stopping in mid brush and coming over to hold Brudock’s bridle indicating to the stableboy that he should help the good Doctor dismount. Mountjoy scratched the horses muzzle as he appreciated a good-tempered mount. The Marquis seemed to be in a good mood.

“Or, as should be as you are now, Lord Wentworth.” Mountjoy considered it good manners to address persons by their proper titles but with no disrespect, he would always think of James as a Doctor taking precedence over James as a Lord. Once he had helped the Winchester dismount the boy assisted Mountjoy with his coat.

“What do you think of her?” he asked referring to the white mare. She has a very sweet gait and is not easily startled. I obtained her thinking she would be a fine mount for Her Majesty during processions and the like.” He said as they began making their way inside and James mentioned their shared alma mater and inquired about his earlier ride.

“It was most pleasant. I enjoy a ride in the quiet of the rising dawn. I would hope to indulge another but my day has become a trifle full.” He would not be adverse to another ride if pressed but he was cognizant of his later appointments.

“It is propitious that you invoke such a bond. Lord Alyesford and I were just speaking of the old place a few days ago. Heneage Finch, as he was before becoming Alyesford, were up together, and we were bemoaning the fact that Cambridge was beginning to take up airs as if they were a proper University. We thought up an excellent plan to organize a debate between the two. The plan is still in its infancy as it would be bad form to do something like this before the christening but I think it would be just the thing that might interest you. I will be taking over the Hen’s Toes for an evening for us to meet, put the Canbridgians in their place and have a nice dinner to console them and you would be most welcome.”

Burdock was happy to accept a few scritches on his muzzle as Lord Mountjoy kindly held his bridle, and gently lipped at the Solicitor General's fingers in case there were any treats on offer. James, never a big man, looked positively diminutive on the back of the half-draft bay, never the less swung down with considerable ease onto the stool provided by the stablehand. "Very kind." He murmured to Charles as he stepped down. James was used to the horse, who by now had blown raspberries at some significant figures at court and could add Charles Blount to his tally.

"Doctor Winchester is fine, Lord Mountjoy." He assured the other man. James also always thought of himself as a doctor first. Lord Wentwood was what had happened when he'd married a French princess. The pain was still acute, but away from his holdings in Wales the last couple of years were taking on an almost dream-like quality in his mind. Charles and his love of horses on the other hand were very grounding and very real. 

At the other man's invitation James approached the white mare, running an interested eye over her and holding out a a hand for her to sniff. He noted her heaver, cob-style frame, short back and elegant neck, and and the fact that she seemed to take the various comings and goings in her stride. "Very fine." He opined. "I've seen these in the eastern marches. They're a good, all-purpose breed, aren't they?" He asked. Like Burdock, the white mare looked equally capable of carrying a rider or pulling a hackney carriage. Such horses tended to have excellent stamina and endurance. Unlike Burdock she was finer looking, with a smaller head and minimal feathering. "She'd very neat. I can only imagine that Her Majesty would be delighted." Was the doctor's verdict. "Is she from your lines?" He asked, interested in whether Charles had bred her. 

Charles then explained that he would be happy to ride again but did have a rather busy morning planned. "Of course. Perhaps another morning then?" James suggested easily, not wanting to disrupt the other man's appointments. His schedule was still very much open. 

Ride or no, catching up with Lord Mountjoy seemed just the ticket to distract James from his habitual melancholy, as Charles nattered about this and that and James listened with interest to his regalement of the as yet early plans under discussion with Lord Aylesford. James did recall the name Heneage Finch, though he'd never met the man, but was certain that he was a former classmate of Blount's. "A debate, you say?" He asked with interest. James himself had been a proponent of bringing science and academia to the attention of court, having hosted scientific soirees in the past, but an academic debite might be quite fun, if perhaps not so interesting for the non-academic types. But the university alumni were allowed their own fun, weren't they? "I say, that does sound rather entertaining." He agreed. "How many Cambridgians are there at court these days?" He asked, curious. Regardless of their alma mater, academics still had more in common than not, James felt. 

As his greeting indicated Charles was happy to See James but, alas, there was no carrot in his pocket so Burdock was to be disappointed as he sniffed about for treats. But Charles was perceptive around horses and indulgent of those with a sweet temper, a trait that Roland understood and exploited mercilessly to notice. “Walter, I observed a bucket of apples over by the tack room. If the good Doctor does not mind the extravagance, please fetch a couple for the well-mannered Burdock.” He ruffled the horse’s forehead as one would a rascally teenager

The mare while not as friendly as the Doctor’s mount but calmly stood there as James assessed her qualities sniffing his hand serenely. “Oh yes, they are quite a useful breed. They can carry or pull heavy burdens which is not needed for the Queen but they are also calm and have good stamina. I have found that, in the case of their Majesties, a handsome coat and a patient disposition is more useful than speed. In a procession a mount will spend as much time standing around as they do walking and constantly checking an impatient mount can be taxing for the rider.”

He chuckled when asked if he had bread her. “Unfortunately, no. I purchased her from a stable in Waterstock Do you know the place? It is about eight miles East of Oxford between Tiddington and Ickford and has some of the best pasture East of Ireland. I would ride out there on occasion when I wished a quiet afternoon to study… they also had a reasonably priced public house which added to the allure for a student on a modest allowance.” He mused. “I would love to breed and raise horses but at present I do not have the time to do it justice. Perhaps when I leave public life I will retire to the country, wear a leather vest over my potbelly and alternate my time between the stables, the deer park and the local Inn.”

James expressed an interest in the proposed debate. “Oh there are quite a few unfortunate Cambridigians scurrying about Court… one would assume in a perpetual state of disappointment.” He responded in good natured ribbing. “Under the auspices of Buckingham Lord Kingstone was made Chancellor so we will approach him to gage interest. Drink will be provided so that should not be a difficult task. We have not yet even decided upon a topic. As I would hope that this would become an ongoing event, I would like an interesting not overly controversial subject. If you have any recommendations, I would be glad to hear them.”

Amused that Burdock had managed to sweet-talk Lord Mountjoy into an apple, he waved a hand in a nonchalant manner. "Not at all, though don't make his girth any broader than he already is." He mock-cautioned. Certainly there was nothing narrow about the big bay. On having his forelock ruffled Burdock lifted his head slightly to bump his nose against Charles' arm, then leaned in and attempted to scratch his face against Mountjoy's coat, if the man held still. "I swear, he's anybody's for pat." James observed dryly to Charles. 

Mountjoy's white mare was a different creature, and James was respectful of her, withdrawing his hand once she'd had a sniff and making no attempt to touch her. Though as a cob-type she was likely much more even tempered than the hot blooded hunters, and she was certainly tolerating Burdock's antics, he did not wish to give her cause to change her mood. The doctor nodded as Mountjoy outlined his reasons for selecting her. "Indeed, for a processional mount you want elegance and an even temperament. And she is certainly elegant." And was demonstrating the even temper that was desirable. 

James snorted in amusement as Charles described the mare's origins, for they were very much in their collective student stomping grounds. "The Fox and Goat? I knew it well." He admitted. Not that he was carousing every night, but like Blount, Winchester had found the ride soothing and the pub well priced for the student budget. "So the stud and riding school is still in Waterstock?" It was some years since James had last been in Oxforshire. "I guess that makes her an Oxfordian too." It was an entertaining thought.

"I will admit my surprise though Lord Mountjoy; given your known love of horses I would have thought you would have an extensive stud to support the creatures." Still, the mental image of a middle-aged, pot-bellied Blount in a leather vest smelling of horses and ending his days down the pub was, whilst entertaining in itself, almost enough to short-circuit the brain in it's incongruity. "And what would Lady Mountjoy think of your retirement plans?" He asked in good humour. Still, it was an interesting idea. James himself had added to his original holding in Wales, and the thought of running a horse stud on his estate was rather fine. Perhaps over recess he would do some research into the local horses. There were said to be ponies up in the mountains that were as hardy as any could wish...

"I wasn't aware Lord Kingston was a Cambridge alumnus." James said, trying to place the title. Kingston... ah, the young protegee of Buckingham's. The one with the boat. "It sounds like a fine evening, one I would be pleased to attend and even participate in, should you need to pad out the team." He offered gently, hopefully in such a way that Mountjoy would not feel badly should he need to tell James that the team was already full. "As to the topic, are we looking to entertain ourselves or to engage other courtiers as well?" James was always aware of the latter angle. Court had money, and courtly patronage of the sciences helped greatly in their progress. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mountjoy was not shy around horses so he had no objection to him being nuzzled. Chuckling at James’s characterization of his horse’s morals he replied “It puts me in mind of a certain Bar Wench I knew when at Oxford.” He smiled. “I will refrain from naming the woman in case you, like the Fox and Goat, know it well.” Of the stud and the approval of Lady Mountjoy he confessed, “It is still going… the war almost did them in but they managed to survive. They are not large or as well known as Cheveley but they can produce some fine mounts and not being well known one can oft find a good buy. As for a stud of my own, I would, with my present commitments, have to delegate the running and management so what would be the fun in that. The Margravina supports my hunting… or at least tolerates it… so I will not press the issue by adding horse breeding to my distractions. At present our lives are bountifully filled with our social and professional obligations so we are quite content.”

“Yes he was, the poor creature.” He lamented as James questioned Kingston’s choice of alma mater. “He is a pleasant fellow despite the fact. So far we have no team other than Lord Alyesford who will make a fine captain. As the host it would be inappropriate for me to officially take a side but if you are willing to not only attend but participate we certainly have room for you on the team. As for the topic I think a little of both. Our prime goal is to be entertaining and hopefully insightful but we are at Court so must also keep politics in mind. As most courtiers of any consequence would likely be from either Oxford or Cambridge there should not be any difficulties in that area. If you have any suggestions for an appropriate topic I would be happy to consider it.” 

He moved away from the affectionate Burdock and gestured to the stables. “I have had a little office set aside where I may do paperwork. Would you like to withdraw there and I can offer you some tea or would a tour of the stables be more tempting?”

As they moved he inquired. “I hear you yourself eschewed the Court and sojourned in the country for a time. Did you tire of the bucolic serenity or has the lure of London society proven too strong to withstand?” He was aware of the circumstances that had changed Winchester’s situation and he hoped his inquiry was sufficiently general so not to cause any distress.      

"I'm afraid that I didn't make much of a study of the bar wenches whilst at Oxford." James admitted dryly to Lord Mountjoy, "My loss, I'm sure, but I suspect you're safe." No, it was a different type of body that the young doctor had been studying. 

It was good to hear that the old Waterstock stud was still going, he remembered the fine horses from his own travels past. Clearly their stock was still as fine as ever, if not finer. As for Mountjoy's own stud... "Well, one would not wish to discombobulate the Margravina, so perhaps the horse stud shall be something for you to look forward to in your leather-vest-and-potbelly days." James allowed with a hint of his former good humour. Charles Blount was eminently sensible in knowing his limits, and given both his and his wife's devotion to Royal Service, James could well understand that they did not have time to manage their estates as closely as they might otherwise wish, including personally overseeing a horse stud. 

"Ah well, we can't all be perfect." James replied, amused, when Charles confirmed that Lord Kingston had been educated at Cambridge. "Still, he should at least present a worthy opponent, and I would be pleased to join Lord Aylesford on the Oxford team." That was an opportunity and likely to be quite a fun evening. The question of the topic remained however. "If we wished to be cheeky, we could argue at which university the young Prince should be educated." He suggested. The whole country was alive with fervor for the young, Anglican heir after all. "Let me think on it; if anything suitable presents itself, you shall be the first to know." He assured the other man.

James restrained Burdock from following the Solicitor General as he disengaged from the big bay, and a moment later Walter was distracting him with an apple, even as Lord Mountjoy made a very tempting offer. James hadn't really seen much of the Royal stables, or it's residents. "A tour from the Queen's Master of Horse would be a treat indeed, if it's no trouble." He confirmed, handing the happily munching Burdock's reins off to Walter in order that he might follow Charles. James might not ride a fine hack or hunter, but that did not mean that he did not appreciate good horses. He'd had Burdock since he'd been a poor student, and was fond of the creature. 

As the two men moved deeper into the mews Charles asked James what had brought him back to London. For a moment the doctor paused and looked off down the mews. One might have thought he was simple admiring one of the beasts housed therein, save for the glint in his eye and the tight set of his mouth visible to the keen observer. Indeed it might well be such a face that led to the expression 'a stiff upper lip'. After a moment he spoke, keeping his voice steady with effort. "Noni loved Wentwood." He said quickly, by way of explanation for his absence. Now she would be there forever. "I felt the need for a change of scene." He added after a couple of moments, still looking away down the mews. "And my duty to Their Majesties, and of course our young and most precious Prince." James finally glanced back at Charles, a flush on his cheeks as he spoke of young Charles Henry. If Blount knew that James had lost his wife then he surely knew he'd lost his daughter as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

“You are quite right.” He said in regards to Winchesters vision of the future. “My Grandfather used to say time is like a river. You may swim across it but the current will take you where it will.”

It is settled then. I will inform Lord Alysford of his new teammate. I am sure he could have no possible objection.” But when James went on to suggest the topic could be which university the prince should attend he stopped with a surprised look on his face. He never once doubted that there could be any possibility other than Oxford. “Blast and damnation!” He exclaimed. “I am past fuddled, I am utterly befuddled. It is inconceivable, and I know what that word means, that there would be any question in the matter. Not go to Oxford?” He did not wait for Winchester to respond as the question was rhetorical. “Why would anyone want to do something like that to a poor innocent child?” That question was also likely rhetorical.  He started walking again and calmed down. James was not a foolish man so perhaps Charles’ fondness for his alma mater blinded him to the possibility that Cambridge could steal the Prince away from Oxford. It would be just the sort of thing those dastardly Cambridigans would try to do.

“Hmmm…” he exhaled, returning to his former composure. “Arguing the virtues between Oxford and Cambridge may not be cheeky after all. It would certainly ensure the debate would be well attended by the alumni. You may just have hit the nail on the… flat part of the nail that you hit. If you will exclude the crude metaphor as I am not conversant in carpentry.” He had at least fourteen years to prevent such a tragedy and the debate might be an appropriate start.

His final question on his return to Court, which he had hoped was gently couched proved to be enough to touch what obviously was a still raw nerve. James’ reaction was as visceral as his about Oxford but deeper and more personal. Unlike Charles, James did not have the option of hyperbole to fall back on so Mountjoy could only sympathetically pause as his emotions ran their course. Charles, to his relief, had not suffered such loss but his love for his Margravina and his devotion to his own daughter allowed him to understand the grief and heartache that James must be suffering.

“Well…” He finally said with a huskiness of understanding. “I paraphrase the wisdom of my grandfather the river will take you where it will, all you can do is find the strength to keep swimming.” Charles reached out and squeezed James’ shoulder releasing it as he turned to look back. His own cheeks a tad flushed as Charles was not a demonstratively emotional man.

He let out an “Ahem.”  To punctuate the episode for really, how much emotion were two English gentlemen expected to display in one day.

“So here are the stables.” He said leading the Doctor down a long passage with rows of stalls on either side. They were basically akin to every other stables Winchester might have been apart from the volume of stalls and that the woodwork and spindles separating the stalls was a clean crisp white. “The horse bays stretch along three sides of the yard with the carriage house adjacent. This area is for Their Majesties mounts, the permanent staff and that of the senior household. The two other wings are for the transient court. Above is tack and staff accommodations with additional storage or overflow servant accommodations when Court is in residence. I have had much of the woodwork whitewashed as it helps with cleanliness and reduces pests which, when housing many itinerant mounts reduces the risk to the horses. The stablemaster is not particularly fond of my choice as it increases maintenance but, being an old cavalryman, Prince Rupert is a great advocate for the wellbeing of his mounts.” They walked around for a bit with Mountjoy pointing out interesting facts about the building, the various horses, which were all fine specimens, and the differentiations resulting from it being a Royal Mews.

They had worked their way back to the front of the yard where there were some administrative buildings. “For my stay, I have taken over a few rooms here where I can do some of the endless paperwork in relative peace. I have liberated a par of comfortable chairs from the palace proper to allow me to offer you a cup of tea in relative ease if not grand surroundings. I do not think His Majesty would begrudge me the comfort but Rupert’s Steward may curse my name when he has to confirm his inventory. Tea is all I can offer you. I used to keep a bottle of brandy here but the Grooms, being the sickly lot that they are, kept using it for medicinal purposes. Perhaps I should ask you to bleed the lot to see if that would restore their health.”