JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Hiding Out | Friday Night

Francis Kirke

Francis looked down at her with slightly narrowed eyes full of drama and said, "Definitely not. Perhaps when I am greying, I'll take up the periwig fashion." He smiled. "And when my hair is behind my shoulders, or when I plait half of it, you can assuredly see a giant sapphire."

He was of the habit of plaiting the top half back when he was playing at swords, on a ship, or writing for long periods. It did not do to have one's hair blowing in one's face or obscuring one's view.

"If you think Lord and Lady Worcester would be amenable to that?" The boy had been born to a family of property and modest means, but he was little more than a simple gentleman. He came from no house of noble blood and was solidly gentry. Now, though, at least he shared blood with Francis, who was an earl, so that...was something more perhaps. "I do not give the boy much free time, for I know what boys do when left to their own devices."

Buckingham then arrived back. He had been gone some long while as it was quite late at night. "Your Grace," he greeted, getting up as Nicci did and bowing. "That whole time with York, Sir? I'm surprised you kept enough wits to find your way back to your rooms!" He barked out a laugh as Nicci said at least York did not suffer even if those around him might!

"Perhaps a fortifying cognac?" he asked, letting Nicci attempt to steer his uncle to the settee. Francis was better suited to the role of attentive nephew and set about filling a glass. "Yes, we were talking of honor...after I spoke to Nicci about Burgoyne. But she rather had an interesting theory of her own about why an enemy might choose to attack us at this particular juncture and little of it has to do with my elevation or your increased closeness with the King and power."

He gestured to her to take her credit and to detail that the attack might be more than a power grab but an attempt to remove the person who the King had surreptitiously protecting the Queen in Francis and the person whom the King placed trust in with Buckingham. And all that to further the traitorous plans involving the Dutch.

Francis pressed past any small talk though, and seemed eager for her to share the thought that she'd had, which had impacted him (more than she realised). Her eyes swung between then men, this was not the usual situation for her.

"Well, Your Grace - I was wondering upon why Francis might be targeted as he has been, and it struck me that perhaps it due to the effectiveness of the Vigil he kept upon the Queen.  That his being there that night indeed prevented some dark plot.  So the villain formed a new plan, to slander and discredit in order to displace those that best protect.   All this may be lead up to a further attack upon Her Majesty." 

Nicci was not quite sure what was the penny dropping moment in her thoughts, which to herself had seemed quite as floundering for understanding as she'd always been. But she knew that the men (Buckingham especially) were privy to many other details that they might understand far more than she could ever hope to. "Were I to look into a chrystal ball, I fear I would see deaths in our futures. I pray my lords shall ensure it is of those that deserve it."  She felt cold at the thought, the memory of that night she'd tripped otop a body felt far too close still. 

OOC: as an addition to Francis post, giving Bucks the most to respond to!   

He stooped to kiss the offered hand gallantly.  As Nicolette was cruel to York, it called upon Buckingham to join in.  "I had to give him some wit because he does not come by it naturally," he laughed.

Nicci invited him to the settee and he was agreeable, as he was for a glass of cognac.  He moved as instructed.  "You were speaking of me, and of Tommy's future, then Burgoyne, and of Francis, and then of plotters?  Gad, I was gone longer than I thought," he replied in a light tone as he lowered himself on the settee and invited Nicci to join him.  He reached for the offered cognac and swirled the contents as the French beauty spoke.

She was attempting to link the slanderers with a threat to the Queen.  As a man that could be a maestro of manipulation, he weighed her story.  "I like it," he declared as he thought on embellishment.  "But why not slander Mountjoy too, for he was part of the vigil too?"

Francis handed the drink to Buckingham in that delicate manner that had been ingrained in him through many semi-amused comments of "do you work in a public house or are you handing a drink to a duke?" He rarely heard comments like that now, so it would seem he had mastered court manners to the Villiers degree, which to Francis seemed an over-abundance of grace, but he had not been raised in a royal household like the duke or his father.

He stood whilst Buckingham and Nicci sat, unsure of whether this was one of those instances he should wait for an invitation to do so, feeling a bit odd, now, being in his shirtsleeve, breeches, and house slippers...wearing a blue brocade dressing gown with some Persian motif. The others were obviously still fully dressed. 

With a snort of amusement, he gestured to his robe and said, "I should say you were gone some long while, Sir! I surely don't start dressing for bed after supper." He chuckled some and added, "While not witty, I am sure the prince can hold a good conversation on a number of topics, at least." York was not know for being downright dumb at the very least, just dry, especially in comparison to the king.

As to Mountjoy, Francis postulated, "Lord Mountjoy would be a harder target to slander and that might make it more obvious. Besides, though I know it is not true, would you be frightened of the Solicitor General in a fight? Appearances are deceiving, but his lordship hardly seems ferocious. Meanwhile, Lord Arlington has seen me fence with His Majesty and knows I'm no kitten with my history at war. As a former spymaster I'm sure he knows how dangerous foreign ports are and that even gentlemanly sea captains are killers. That coupled with the fact that I'm the one who apprehended Ruvigny's son at the Flotilla 2 years ago with my blade makes me far more threatening. As to Your Grace, if His Majesty does not have you, Arlington goes up many ticks in the trust column as an old friend. He has a Dutch wife, clearly has foreign connections through diplomacy and spying, and he is one of the only persons who knew what I was doing in the Queen's Household...It makes sense, but what if it is the case, Sir?"

"No doubt he is gifted in his own ways, hasn’t his poet Dryden writ a whole book of his successful ocean battles?  But that is not the thing for party talk." She ventured between Francis comment and the Dukes, and then quizzed, "And he appreciated your offering of wit your Grace?" 

Francis revealed that the Duke had actually been gone quite some time... which had her wonder all the more to why?  York had barely been seen around court last season. Nicci had wondered if it was upon account of pining after Lady O'Roarke, whom she had missed also.  The woman who had worn red stockings so proudly, left a vaccume in her absence.  However ... that did not explain why charming and sprightly George Villiers sought James Stuart out?  

Then Nicci noticed Francis acting uncertain (made more obvious as he explained his state of dress), so she simply caught at his hand and urged him to take a chair - in a womanly way dispensing with any need for instructions, for it was her guess that the Duke was not in the mood to instruct. 

"I wondered that Lord Mountjoy's ... ah, stuffiness too well known for slander to in any way stick, so that they did not bother to attempt it."  she agreed along with Francis thoughts on that with a nod, and another sip of her drink.  While Francis train of thought that led to Arlington seemed perfect sense.  "A Dutch wife?" she'd not known that.  "And is Arlington also an ally of Oxford?"  she asked the men. 

"Might theirs be a relationship like lichen, two different plants that grow together." Nicci slipped into a herbal metaphor. "Perhaps Arlington has promised Oxford raised military priority once he gains greater power himself.  Had an attack on the Queen been successful Our Francis would have fallen from favour, others also." Meaning Bucks, but she did not want to say his name in such a sentence. "So now those persons launch a second attempt to defame... and if that does not work, they may try something else even more drastic."

She sighed, "But I do not know politics, I am only afraid for the people I love."

"Mountjoy too boring to be a threat?" Buckingham laughed.  "The red heels perhaps?" he jested.

"Arlington, however, is an ally of anyone who pays him or anyone convenient," the Duke replied more seriously.  "He has clear Dutch sympathies through his wife; but then, so does Ormonde."  His wife Emilia was a van Nausau.  "Perhaps we link him to this mischief as well.  An Arlington-Ormonde alliance.  The latter is still a suspect with the Danby treason.  It would play well with His Majesty.  Oxford has his own regiment to march on London."  He was speaking out loud, testing the treason on his tongue.  "Maybe he is a friend of the Berties."  That would link him to Danby as well, and the Earl of Lindsey. "Private meetings with de Vries perhaps," he mumbled to himself.  The presence of the Dutch ambassador might be a damning card to play.

There was Lady Basildon and that Dutch girl that might be implicated, but that would hardly be a topic to broach in front of Nicci.  After all, this was just about the slanderers.  The conspiracy did not need to be large.

Sipping the cognac, Buckingham uttered "I have put the cards on the table.  Now give me the story that ties it up in a nice bow."  It was something of a game and challenge for the three.  He continued to work on his drink as he invited Francis and Nicci to paint the portrait of treason and slander.

Francis sat himself back down as Nicci took his hand. Back to where he had been sitting when she arrived. His book still abandoned on the little table next to him.

His listened to his uncle weight the evidence. Really it was all just circumstantial. Francis did feel that the threat was potentially real or that whomever was slandering him could be involved with whatever Dutch plot had attempted to harm the their Majesties. It was still difficult for him to fathom someone going through all that trouble and coin to slander him and make trouble for the duke. However, much coin could be expended for greater conspiracies like attacks on nations. He didn't fully realize how frivolous many peers could be with their incomes. Broadsheets seemed a silly thing to waste money on in such prodigious quantity.

"You are too sweet," he said to Nicci, that blush on his cheeks again.

As to Buckingham, he said, "Do you think it could be so? So many would have thought Danby to have been so foolish, other than Your Grace, so I suppose it would not be strange to think Arlington could be just as foolish too. But it was my understanding that it was some fit with Arlington that was contained in the note turned into His Majesty that initially booted Danby from favor, so them working in concert seems unlikely. Approached separately, though..." He paused to think, "I feel a legitimate concern that Arlington has a part to play beyond wishing you taken down a peg or two, Sir, if he is involved in slandering me, us. There are too many coincidences with him being the only one who truly knew what His Majesty had me doing with the Queen. Do you think that possible?"

Then he ran his lips over each other before asking, "Or...is this simply an opportunistic wish to trouble for them because the story fits and they are your - our - enemies? Entirely a story concocted for our benefit?" He asked because he was not sure how he felt about that sort of thing. He did not have Buckingham's experience at court, but Francis struggled with outright dishonesty.

Then again, nobody had ever tried to falsely get Francis convicted of treason and beheaded. Buckingham's enemies had done so before. Perhaps a tit for tat seemed more acceptable and equitable to the duke.

"Alington and Ormond are allied already are they not, my cousin surely told me that they share sister as the others wife." if she remembered correctly.  

The Duke scattered thoughts before them, like pieces of puzzle scattered, some turned up to reveal while many others unknown.  To try to make complete picture of them was a tricky sort of thing, even George himself hazarded guesses - before asking Francis and herself to take a turn. You could look at these things so many ways, it was more like looking though a kaleidoscope at a puzzle, and then turning it to look again. 

Francis ponder various things that reached back 2 or even 3 seasons, but seemed to be most stuck upon this latest slander aspect of it all. 

Drawing a breath Nicci tipped back her head and closed her eyes, there were too many little things for her to make sense of - she found herself therefor wondering of the greater goals possible.   "If we think upon the Dutch prior to the birth of an Heir, then the Prince of Orange is but two deaths short of ruling England.  I would not speculate that he is at the end of such a plot, regicide is never popular with Kings, but you cant say the same thing of aspirants who might benefit from a change. 

"In broad speculation, I would wonder then that our mysterious preventer of the would-be Dutch attack on The King last season was a Frenchman, who once his task was completed did not want to stick around for the acclaim that was rightly deserving, for there might have been odd questions to why a Frenchman was skulking around gardens or tailing Dutch assassins. 

"Then there was chance of attack on the Queen, which in truth we do not really know if an attempt had been planned. Our men, Francis and Mountjoy were in protection of and saw no action. Perhaps because an Arlington/Ormond alliance called the Dutch assassins off."   

"I don’t understand how the Irish fit into any of this, I find it far to difficult to think poorly of anyone from the Emerald Isle - it would be easier to believe that some other used or had been seen using the coastline in covert."

"Back to our current trouble; surely anyone who has already plotted as drastically as we have seen is not going to quit after being baulked at the first jump.  Slander is a far lesser offence than those others already committed - when attempted murder is a high bar they have set themselves.  So how might it be that slander is the launch pad for a further attempt with less chance of their being fought off. 

"By the smaller character of Windsor there are less persons in attendance. So that those pieces that previously used pawns to do their menial work for them, might need now to dirty their own hands? So perhaps that is why we see methods that don’t result in the death penalty used."  Was she musing too long?  

"Perhaps it is like you say Francis, and the scandal is unrelated or even a decoy for our attention. All I can think is we need be vigilant in our observations.”

• 2 weeks later...

The Duke listened to the duo try and put puzzle pieces together while he drained his glass.  Francis seemed less desirous over pure fabrication than his favorite French Mademoiselle, though she too seemed less capable of, or willingness to, assembling the pieces.

"Consider this." Buckingham offered, his index finger aloft.  "Arlington was impeached and forced to sell his Northern Secretary position.  His Majesty gives him the position of Chamberlain as some recompense.  The Chamberlain has great power over the invisible servants at court."  He sat forward on the settee as he conjured a narration in his mind.

"An invisible servant delivers poison to Davina Wellsley to kill the prince and Queen, just as another invisible servant poisoned Queen Catherine in the past.  Arlington is a former spymaster who traffics in assassins and can make servants do as he bids.  A Dutch assassin comes to kill our King and, strangely, all of the servants who should be up an about in the early hour are nowhere to be found.  The path made clear perhaps?  Ormonde, in league with Danby, needs cover his trail.  Both would benefit from the chaos of royal assassinations, though perhaps for disparate reasons.  With all eyeing the French as the enemy, this allows the two to fall in line with an attempt by Orange to remove the King."  He was still putting pieces together.  "The Catholic murder of the Queen and Prince would assure that York never ascend the throne, leaving open the path to Orange and Princess Mary.  Arlington would be indispensable, and Ormonde  would be secure with his Danby treason."

Taking to his feet, he added "Arlington fears I might be an impediment to his rise, and might support the French camp, and plans to discredit me and my family.  Oxford and Coventry join in, having old scores to settle with me.  They need a target close to me.  Who is easier that Kirke's son?  A blackguard's cub within the confidence of the mighty Duke of Buckingham, leading some to wonder whether I was losing my wits in the process perhaps."  He stopped short in finishing the plot, wagging his eyebrows at the pair, allowing them to fill in the empty spaces and conclusion.

"Then it was when Arlington was impeached that in anger he wrote implicating Danby, why one might wonder that the letter was deliberately mis-delivered to hand to result in reprisals." Nicci mused as she learnt details from he Duke she'd not known of before. 

Afterall she was only privy to information she was freely given, she was careful not to lodge enquiries herself for fear of appearing like a French spy.  

All and all it was a horrible tale unfolding, all these pieces of a scattered puzzle moved about enough to glimpse the only possible picture that of Dutch villainy intent upon the Death of the King.  It was an awful awful thought, what with it's accompaniment being the disgracing of Buckingham that he be essentially removed from Court.  Perhaps to find shelter with the Sun King.

"Oxford and his army is a threat even during peace, and the thought that they might help hoist a chair atop a Dutch ship in the Thames - well, I do not understand how his show of force is even allowed?" 

"While the Hills."  Nicci remembered the boys faces, and could hardly force her mind to think past their state that night.  Though they had not been mistreated, and seemed more protective of their captor than angry at.  "... could even be complicit, after their rescue they were quickly enough taken under a protective wing. What if that protective wing was the target all along, need one be a certain age to qualify as a spy. The boys, the elder most particularly, struck me as a clever sort, and not telling us everything he knew." Her Cousin had minded the boys at his house for some few hours before they had been secreted away. 

"If it need be mere suggestion that the Queens death was a Catholic plot to prevent Yorks assention and pave the way to Orange, then a Catholic hand in this must still be desired." Niccis mind roamed, with random thoughts popping up out of sequence, "and if poison is a method easily used, what of the font the little Prince shall be head wetted in.  Would the evil that lurks about be so cocky as to attempt something when all of England watches."

"I am poor at trying to join the pieces together gentlemen, but feel surely new traps need to be laid to make these others Arrlington, Ormond, and now I am thinking Sunderland with Bristol too." she shook her head as all about there seemed to be ones that wished ill upon them all.   

It had meanwhile occurred to her that it was a small miracle that she was not also in their sights in order to ruin the Duke (which might be only a matter of time.) 

"Gentlemen, more than to redeem your own honour, the truth is required to protect the English King, His wife, His baby. I am sure I not the only one who feels that for these ones I would give my life for, while I pray that shall not be necessary.    

A final thought also occurred to her, and with the dire before her, she knew she had to say, “My cousin said his wife, Lisa Seymour is due back from Holland in time for the Christening.”  Nicci hated knowing that Louis was had, and still did, cross his bets for any possible future outcomes, but did not go so far as to voice that. Besides, she was certain that the Duke already knew.

"Danby had written a note to Arlington to be delivered personally by his young relation that he would not continue to support the movements against Exclusion that Arlington was furthering for the King. The lad dropped it on accident, Lord Melville found it, and gave it to the King rather than blackmailing Danby. That was what caused Danby's monumental fall aside from messing about with Monmouth's head, in more than one way; moving contrary to the King's wish for Toleration," he explained to Nicci. "It is why the King trusts Lord Putty-nose."

It would not be easy to undo. Linking him to a Dutch conspiracy would not be completely easy aside from the man's Dutch wife and relation to the yet-suspect Ormonde. Although...he would certainly be able to manufacture a Catholic attempting to poison the Queen. 

Francis supplied, "And the Duke of Ormonde has control of the other half of the servants as Lord Steward." Together they could easily make it so someone would not be observed. A revelation that made Francis blink. "He could assuredly work with Arlington to make certain any number of things could not be seen."

"Isn't it rumored that Lord Arlington is secretly Catholic, and not one of those silly rumors that people just say to discredit someone?" he asked Buckingham. "The Dutch wife gotten to allay those suspicions? So a Catholic poisoner would not be unheard of in his domain."

Francis had very little to say about Nicci's thoughts on those boys Danby kidnapped. He was well-aware that Danby had most assuredly moved against their father and grandfather, so he very much so doubted it was any form of ruse. He was not certain if he was allowed to say anything about Sir John Trevor having finally arrived back from the Netherlands, after having been prevented from leaving by the Dutch closing ports - probably in fear of what he might say of the conspiracy against their King. He had been smuggled out through France in some grueling ordeal. Things he heard due to his position attending the King were not things that were to be repeated, though. Buckingham knew, but he did not know if he was allowed to say anything around Nicci as much as he trusted her. His word was his word. 

Francis stood automatically when Buckingham did, out of respect, then swallowed most of his discontent over being called Kirke's son, but that did not prevent him from pulling a face and huffing. Nor rubbing his lips together as he tried not to have the visceral reaction of balling his fists every time the man's name was mentioned in regards to him. It was all over once again. It was one thing that perhaps stoked the Villiers temper they were all known to carry. 

"Yes, Your Grace's fondness for me is absolute insanity," he finally said with a laugh, using another of their traits of using humor to dissolve the more negative of feelings. "Surely losing your wits! I have quite clearly pulled the wool over your eyes! Most barking mad thing you've ever done." He snickered at the thought, knowing Buckingham had done many truly barking mad things over the years, mostly with Rochester.

(OOC - Historically Arlington was secretly Catholic. It was why he was used with negotiations with the French for the Dover Treaty. I've used it before in Defiance posts, so just FYIing it out there for continuity purposes)

The best conspiracy theories were those that had imbedded truths.  Like a fake jewels surrounded by pure gemstones, it could manipulate the eye of the purchaser.  What the trio were doing this night, consciously or not, was spinning a conspiracy theory based upon facts, conjecture, and outlandish suppositions.  Was there a semblance of irony that this trio employed the same technique of another trio of slanderers?  The entertainment value was not lost on the Duke.

It worked so well that Nicci, a co-conspirator, was now greatly alarmed by the safety of the crown prince from this mythical shadowy conspiracy of all of Buckingham's rivals.  Of course, she knew but a fraction of the truths that the Duke had learned, but her reaction was a good test of the potential for meaningful action against Dutch sympathizers and Buckingham rivals.  

Buckingham knew the Danby note to be valid.  He knew Danby's treason to be valid, and that the Hill's had no part in it.  He knew Arlington was not a part of it either.  Arlington was an ass and George could not share the King's faith in the scoundrel.  He could understand the desire to be advised by old advisers, but it irked Buckingham that the King might credit a fool like the Earl to any degree close to that provided by the Duke himself.  This distaste helped explain Buckingham's desire to reduce Arlington to insignificance.  What the fool had done to Francis made him more determined.

Surprised that Nicci would enlarge the conspiracy to impact her own family, the Duke asked "do you suspect Lady Basildon may attempt to poison the heir on behalf of Princess Mary?"  It made for a fiendishly clever plot, but it would make little sense for her and her husband to lose everything over a chance that no other heir could be produced and that her father would be excluded from the throne.  That would require a fanatic rather than an opportunist.

As for Francis' thoughts, Buckingham nodded.  "I am going to continue my foolishness by crediting your analysis," he offered sarcastically with a laugh.  He could tell Francis was still disturbed at the mention of Kirke's name.  The young lord would need to bury that hurt one day.

"Perhaps there could be mistakes by servants be brought to light to embarrass both the Chamberlain and Lord Steward.  Perhaps the King might entertain others to purchase those offices."  His dislike of Arlington was apparent, but Ormonde was easy to dislike as well, and easy to frame with misdeeds.  "Of course, Arlington is a secret Catholic as well.  Why do you think him such a fervent supporter of toleration? If we could prove it, he would lose the Office."  There was the kernel of an idea there.

"As for Oxford, the Parliament dislikes any standing army," he answered Nicci.  "The Life Guard is excepted.  Oxford keeps his men outside of London and they are not mobilized unless in times of war.  Recall the furor of Parliament about Langdon forming a regiment in London.  Soldiers are seen as the tool of tyranny.  He flaunts the limitations because his regiment is little more than a company of irregular soldiers that patrol the streets of London."  As there was no need to include Langdon in their growing conspiracy, at least yet, the Duke moved onward.  "It is the threat of Oxford raising his regiment and Ormond raising Irish levies that play into our hands, should we choose to bring them to heel."

“I understand.” Nicci replied grateful of Francis explanation of the letter’s fateful journey. “Though Danby’s quitting the task is not such a great recommendation for Arlington, who seems to have become the Hero upon account of being the only man standing.”

“I’d like to clarify if we actually think Catholics would be Toleration supporters?”  Nicci was still puzzled, “I can hardly Imagine a Papist to be seeking Toleration as anything but a stepping stone to something else. For while it might benefit them to a degree, their faith is far less tolerant than the Church of England.”  But then Nicci remembered the tales of the Catholic slaughter of Huguenot.  “For a Catholic to want toleration, is like a thief wanting you to unlock your doors.”

If her discovered fear for the life of the Heir, and the Royal Family en toto was a test to theorys fright factor, then it was convincing.  (Nicci frankly did not understand why Francis and the Duke were so casual thinking about it.  Perhaps because they were men, and thought they could just pull out their swords and end any villainy – while Nicci conversely found herself feeling very useless in helping against.)  

“No I do not truly think Lady Basildon would do that, though I feel my Cousins are not near as cautious as I would like them to be.” She replied, stepping up from her place and taking charge of the bottle of Cognac.  “Must the Christening really go ahead next Sunday, cant it be deferred to some other date, or perhaps done in secret rather than public. Are the Lifeguards even vigilant, where were they I ask upon the night of the last assignation attempt? Whoring in the city most likely, rather than protecting His Majesty, the English King.”

Nicci was really a bit strung out.  Pouring herself a full glass of Cognac, she took a good sized gulp.

"If there is any way we can prove Arlington is Catholic, then it must be done." pausing she remembered the Duke's earler visit this evening. York.  Englands most despised Catholic.  "To prevent his religion falling into even poorer repute, perhaps York would help us in this?" 

• 3 weeks later...

"His Majesty believes so," Francis replied. "There may not be many liberties we are affording in this life, but surely the right to decide the fate of our soul is paramount to any man's conscience; forcing someone into a false belief breeds resentment which leads to action. If Catholics were not so attacked, mayhap they would be less like to attack and make trouble as well. Englishmen have been killing each other over faith, in the guise of politics, for far too long. Even the Puritans did so, in their false godliness, while also robbing us of theater, dancing, and Christmastide into the bargain."

Toleration was not a point of contention for Francis. He found religion to house many zealots and many zealots who were false to their own beliefs. No one religion seemed to have the monopoly of beneficence to him.

"We have upset you, though, I think, he then observed. "This is just conjecture. One cannot act without proof. That is a fools course, for even without..." he stumbled over his words for a moment with a hum of consonants, for in the intimacy of the company, he'd nearly fubbed calling Buckingham his uncle and his tongue barely stopped him... "the Duke's vast knowledge of intrigue, even I know such actions can be flipped around by the 'wronged' party without some kind of evidence or some plan on how to convincingly present suspicion." He watched her go for the bottle and didn't intervene. Instead he said, "Fear not, His Majesty is always well-guarded even when he is given the appearance that he is not. It is not just the Life Guard tasked with such."

He turned his blue eyes onto Buckingham's and raised a brow. Perhaps this would best be continued, without the propensity to upset Nicci, at a later time.

"We should not do anything rash, lest His Majesty think we are employing the same tactics heaved at me in base retaliation. Clearly they expect something useful to happen as a result of these slanders and me losing my place or face would not be worth it. I am nothing by comparison to Your Grace. They expect you to do something they can take advantage of, Sir. It is best not to play into their hand."

As to York, he left Buckingham to speak to that. York had never seemed one to tolerate men moving against the crown; he was far more stringent about royal tradition than the King and far less forgiving.

Nicci was becoming distraught as a byproduct of the conspiracies real and imagined in their conversation.  George watched the beautiful Mademoiselle seek solace in cognac, smiling inwardly at the power of words.

Francis answered Nicci eloquently, and the Duke merely nodded and pointed to his nephew with a bejeweled finger.  "Listen to Francis," he encouraged, but was never a man to not add his own postscript.  "It is the minority that wants tolerance always.  In England, the Catholics are in the minority.  In France, it is the Protestants in the minority that beg tolerance," he observed.  Henri IV had been the last French monarch to demand tolerance.  Sadly, once Cardinals began ruling France, that toleration came to an end, at a cost of thousands of lives.

"There are many secret Catholics here at court.  Do not fool yourself," he explained.  "The great families are riddled with some and exposure would be a ruination to them."  Names came to mind.  "The challenge with Arlington is, even if we had a Catholic priest give testimony that Arlington was a Papist, he would lie, take the Oath to prove otherwise.  He would deny his own mother if there was an advantage to it.  Still, public sentiment can overcome convenient oaths," Buckingham observed, mulling intrigue in his mind.  Villiers hands could not be seen behind such work.  It would need to come from those independent of his orbit, and there were many.

"As for the royal family, they are safe.  The yeoman are the first layer, the Life Guard the second, but it is the gentlemen that surround the King that are his true guardians.  We have a grand one in our presence.  And, he is quite correct that we need evidence before we can act.  To delay the Christening could trigger other dangers," he added cryptically.  It could breed fear and weakness.

Francis made an excellent point, causing the great man to pause.  Had the slanderers been so clumsy and loud in the hope that Buckingham would retaliate in a clumsy fashion?  When one was on the top, one had to be more cautious than those of lesser station.  The risks were greater.  This sort of plotting would need to be sober, and outside of the earshot of Nicci.

"In the end, fools can be trusted to act foolishly.  Those who plot mischief against the Crown do so at their peril and nothing can be kept secret long.  We must be ready to pounce," the Duke announced.

Nicolette had hardly realised her own anti-Catholic sentiment until this moment. She had never felt at liberty it think let alone express such before now, though raised as a secret Huguenot  in France she had no reason to think well of the harsh treatments her own religion had suffered there.

"Belief in the freedom of choice is a rather English thing..." she softly replied, while not wanting to say anything more against the Catholics it was thus implied that if they were French Catholics having this discussion they would not be so tolerant.  There was a vast difference between the Nations views on Religion. 

Soothing nerves with a hearty sip of Cognac, she realised that the men were entirely aware of her stressed state.  "I apologise I am not a natural to unwrapping political intrigues, I did not mean to get upset.  Show me a boil to lance and I would do so far more happily.  But yes, our Lord Kingston’s diligence in sword practise make him a fine body guard to dispatch those blighted pustules that take human form."

Starting to calm, mostly because the men decided it best to discuss these things outside of her presence (though she felt less an ally to them because of that) she drew a soothing breath.  "I hope I do not disappoint much." she gave a rueful smile, "though I might not contribute well, I wish to learn, and keeping your company both is surely the swiftest method of that. I would hate to be the child you need shelter important things from.  Informed, I might be of use, but ignorant I'm definately none at all."  she tryed to sway them back.  

A small smile cross his face as the his uncle encouraged Nicci to listen to his words. He did not tire of Buckingham's small praises, and considering the man's penchant for words both written and spoken, it was no meaningless token. 

"Presumably he has already done so," Francis agreed, figuring that Arlington had made it past the Test Act before Francis had even come to court. "But it shan't please His Majesty if he believes you, or we, used such a thing to cause a man's downfall. He was livid over Danby acting against his wishes for Toleration behind his back, and stoking such fires is unwise, especially given the Duchess, your sister, is Catholic." And nor did she hide it. As a woman, it was less of an issue, and nobody would much dare to attack a royal duchess who had been married to the King's late cousin. "The King would not thank you for causing another Catholic witch hunt when many of his friends could be caught up in it in addition to Arlington."

Francis blushed deeply when he was named as a "grand one" of the King's true guardians. He might not be the most skilled courtier at many things, but he was good with a blade and a formidable opponent in a true fight. He blushed more red when Nicci added to the compliment.

"There were some things I learned before life as a courtier that are useful, and skill with a blade and ferocity in a fight is a family trait, as is a willingness to risk one's life." Not only had his father done so, but Buckingham had tried equally hard a damned few times himself from the tales he had heard.

"And you need not apologize for such things being new to you and distressing. We here do not wrap our ladies up to carefully keep them in the corner if they do not wish to be, though we are also practiced with our gallantry. Women around us..." he looked to the Duke for the proper way to put it, and then attempted, "...tend not to be wholly vacuous blushing beauties." Buckingham's sister was a prime example of that, as was his lady mother and a host of their other female relations. 

As to the rest he said, "Then we should not plot anything of that nature, no matter what quarter it comes from. The King may be angry enough that these men are causing the Crown mischief by causing us mischief. We can, of course, make sure there is nothing more nefarious to the plotting or bring it up as a concern that there could be based on the circumstantial, but the King takes unkindly to any movement contrary to his interests and wishes. If we prove from whom these broadsheets have originated and that there was an intent to undermine His Majesty's favor for blind personal gain and by attempts at manipulating him, the King takes offense to that easily."

"No one is a natural at unwrapping political intrigue," the Duke replied softly to Nicci with a smile.  "One must develop the skill with experience," he assured her.  "Give it time," he chuckled.  "Francis speaks true, we Villiers do not coddle ladies, unless that is their wish."

Francis gave voice to the many dangers of using religion to bring down Arlington.  He was correct that one should not attempt anything that would go against the King's wish for tolerance.  Had that not been Danby's downfall, in large part?

"Yes, yes," the Duke replied.  "The rules of engagement hamper our ability to intrigue.  One must find ways to use those rules to one's advantage," he offered in a surprisingly cheery tone.  "Or deal blows in ways that do not offend the rules."  He had an idea or two.

"Perhaps we are merely being petty," he offered as he looked at his nephew following the observation that they risked the King's displeasure over personal gain, as did the slanderers.  George had risked the King's displeasure many times, and suffered for it at times.  Yet, here he stood at the pinnacle of favor, his greatest adversary vanquished.  Perhaps the Duke took his sibling-like relationship with King Charles too far.  Yet, in times of crisis, Charles valued such relationships the most.

Trying to lighten the mood, he declared "but this talk has been cathartic and amusing to me.  It has been far more entertaining than and other meetings this day, and it will be fodder for future such entertainments between us."  He moved closer to Nicci, as if to put his arm around her slim shoulder, but withheld, not because he wished it. "Better than speaking of lancing boils," he offered to Nicci with a hearty laugh, an attempt to bring her back to a jovial state.  

The men mutually claimed it was a family trait, which had her smile.  She knew Francis had not always been so enamoured with family members, he basically loathed Kirke (so much so that he considered it reason to never marry nor have children!) So now hearing him with this embrace of family drawing him warmly in - well she was very happy for him. Though she did not yet know all the details there of.

"Nor do I wish to be coddled... well except such times when that means tender and love." she added this latter bit with a grin, content to take the Duke's lead and soften the mood. 

While her eyebrow did rise to hear one such uncoddled woman, Mall, was a Catholic.  But Nicci mostly just listened (at this stage) to this conversation around who had or had not Sworn the Test Act.  Francis and George agreed that that was not the field they should plan their battle on though, the Kings cry for Toleration was first and foremost before anything else. Nicci nodded along quietly, then smiled and unconsciously leaned in toward the Dukes torso as he moved his arm. Though not to touch of course, not that she didn’t wish it.   

"Hmm… not petty I don’t think, but wishing our happiness and that of our friends to know no bounds.” Nicci’s gaze swung from the Duke to Francis, whom was most hurt by this latest.  “Still, the strongest retaliation is no reaction at all.  I shall enjoy imaging how the writer of the scandals steams that nothing has actually changed.”

Mood relaxing generally, a light of heart idea grew from that thought.   

“Or, we might tease them into greater frustration; and promote the next ball to be themed Ottoman.  Let us see all peers dressed as Janissaries.” She giggled, then covered her mouth hoping that Francis saw the funny side. 

Francis briefly wondered if a good portion of the conversation had not been based upon the Duke's desire to see him reason things out and where he would come up in the end. At any rate, he had not said anything sufficiently idiotic to be told he was being idiotic, so he considered that a win. Intrigue was a new skill for him, and he bore no comparison to Buckingham's capabilities.

"It is not that I think we are being petty, for I do not, but if one maintains the higher ground of not annoying the King in methodology of intrigue, I think that a safer course. To make the slanderers look at their worst, joining them shan't do.

"I do think they are prodding me to cause a misstep, more likely from you, Sir. Nicci is correct in that if we do not do what it is they expect, we thwart them on the basics. If there are more nefarious reasons behind it, you cannot let our response threaten your closeness with the King, even if it is short-lived and unlikely to last, for what they might attempt in that time. My reputation will recover. They wish harm to you, to reduce your closeness with the King. Better I suffer a season than that."

Not that they should not gain evidence of who was behind it, for that might be enough to reduce the favor of those responsible to a level of insignificance where they would no longer be a threat. 

As the mood was made lighter, Francis chuckled and replied, "And now you have uncovered my plan! I was fully intending on going to the masque dressed as a Janissary already! The Duke did tell me to ignore or poke fun at the slanders and that was, honestly, my favorite of the bunch. I just need a scimitar to complete the costume, having been there many times I do have the clothing." He snickered at the idea. "I am sure the Duke of Cumberland must have one in his collection of weapons, perhaps I might ask him to borrow one if so."

(OOC - we should work this to a close since we are out of timeframe. We can always plot again later down the line)

• 2 weeks later...

It was clear that the case study was coming to an end.  It had been an entertaining evening.  The whole exercise had been for the Duke's benefit in judging the reaction of certain plots.  More importantly, the Duke hoped that the exercise would be cathartic to Francis.  In the end, it was Francis that had cautioned against impulsive responses.  That was good.  It had been Francis that had reasoned that the right response was to ignore it, and even make light of it.  The Duke and Cumberland had already advised the younger man to do so, but there was nothing so persuasive as someone coming to the right conclusion on their own.

"Grand," he exclaimed.  "Perhaps I shall go to the Masque as the Sultan."  It caused a smile.  "Now, if you good people will excuse me, I need to finish some correspondence before bed."  He gave Francis a look that meant that the man's assistance in this endeavor was not needed.  Ordinarily, Francis assisted with the correspondence, but given the time of night and the company, it would be best for the Duke to get more comfortable in a state of undress and sift through letter sitting in bed.  "Perhaps there shall be some new slander in my correspondence."  He meant that in jest as he moved away to excuse himself.  

"Mademoiselle, every night in your company is a lovely and memorable one."  With that, he was on his way.

Edited by Duke of Buckingham

• 5 weeks later...

The sober talk dwindled, it was only now that it begun dawning on her that it was not a call for action but more of a preparedness and exercise in mental alertness.  She'd never been a part of this style of conversation with the Duke, so it was a grand (even if uncomfortable at times) learning curve. 

"Then I want to go as a Sultanah, and I shall probably require a half dozen eunuchs to see to my every whim..." Nicolette laughed, "or Jack would do." she broke into giggles at that thought.  Young Ashburnham was mercilessly teased by CR, she loved the idea of, but thought it unlikely that she might indulge in that sport too. 

The break in mood soon propelled the Duke to his feet again, arising, Nicci dropped into a curtsy to bid him a farewell, "As always it is my greatest joy, Your Grace." She was very happy to say.  English lords were typically wary of flattering talk, but Buckingham wore such like a comfortable cloak.  She enjoyed too how she could say these things with it sounding like typically French court speak, when in fact, it was entirely true.

He left.  And the room was so much emptier then. Loosing a soft sigh she moved to Francis, "while for the rest of us it might be time for bed.  Sweet dreams my dearest." touching his arm she moved to hopefully offer a kiss to his cheek in farewell.

• 2 weeks later...

Francis snickered as the Duke declared his rightful place as Sultan if Francis were the Janissary. 

"It is not enough to be your dutiful relation, Sir? Must I now be your personally bound guard?" he chortled. "I thought being tethered to the tailor punitive enough!"

Nicci, it seemed wished to join in on the fun too. "Well, by all means. Let us do so then. I will turn the best of the broadsheet criticism into something to laugh and boast about." In truth, the Janissary bit was the only funny part to the broadsheets. "I am sure your royal champion could easily order you a Turkish inspired servant or half a dozen," he added to Nicci.

"And if there is new slander in your letters, I would rather hear about it in the morning anyway. I need my beauty sleep," he joked to Buckingham. Francis was, after all, the one already in his bed-clothes himself! "Goodnight, Your Grace."

His uncle always left something of a void in his wake, and Francis noticed it was no different for Nicci.

"Indeed," he replied to her. "And goodnight to you as well," he added, leaning down to offer his cheek and kissing hers in return. 

(FIN! Thanks all!)