JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Catching the Cardinal | Before noon – Friday 16th

Henry Grey

After returning from the Castle, Henry went to his rented house to try and get a few hours of either lens-polishing work or sleep, perhaps even a bit of both, before the afternoon and its possibilities. Instead, as the door was opened for him, he faced a paper-white Reginald, who at that moment feared for something far more important than his life: his continued employment. “My lord”, the valet began, with a trembling voice, “I… I… I do... do not… know how it happened, but the Cardinal escaped”.

Lord Grey had been distracted, thinking about convex vs concave lenses and their respective properties, but his servant’s words stopped him in his tracks. “He what?” His optical problem was temporarily forgotten, as his eyes darted to every corner of the drawing room. “Are you sure he is not napping in some nook or cranny?”

The servant was ready to die. He knew how much his master cared for the Cardinal, as the fastidious creature was known within the household. “I am certain my lord. Even Cook looked for him everywhere, even inside your chests… twice!” Reginald was ready to cry, and his employer noticed. “Hmm… he has been trying to get out of the house since we got here. He may have escaped when someone entered or exited the house. You know how devious he can be…” a pause. “Go fetch me a dish with some cubes of beef or venison, his favourites. I will go and look for him myself. And do not worry, you will not be fired over this”. The servant hastily did as he was told, thanking Providence he still had a position.

A good half hour later, Henry Grey was still roaming the streets of Windsor Town, a sterling dish full of meat cubes on one hand, and his walking stick on the other. Then, he heard a rustling noise, followed by a “meow, meow!” The fastidious tone sounded familiar and, as he rounded a corner, he found his Khorassan double-coated tomcat happily mounting a queen. She did not look like a stray, and Henry’s brow furrowed. In Codnor lands, his cat could do as he pleased. In Windsor Town, it was not necessarily so. Have you gotten us into trouble, you little scoundrel?

“Well, at least I found you, you libertine!” He said with mock disgust. “Unlike you, Richelieu, I am mindful of others, so I will wait until you finish your… business. Just do not take too long!”

Meow… meow… meowwwwwww!”

Edited by Henry Grey

• 1 month later...

The cat finally dismounted. Henry placed the dish with cubed meat on the floor, and the animal approached, smelled, and started eating contentedly. The queen looked at the man, then at the dish, and approached to eat. Thankfully, the Cardinal decided to share, as there was enough for both animals.

Lord Grey would wait until both animals finished eating before grabbing his cat and going back home.