JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Of Telescopes and Many Other Things - Early Morning - 16th September

Henry Grey

Upon entering the octagonal tower from the quadrangle, one is immediately confronted by an austere stone chamber whose only features include an imposing set of stairs cut into the west wall and three small windows grouped around the entry door. The flagstones have been smoothed by centuries of footsteps pacing to and from the small door on the east wall that leads to the adjoining main tower. Torches, placed in niches cut into the walls at intervals, provide light in the darkened space. A single bench, made of well-worn oak rests against the south wall of the tower immediately opposite the oaken door leading to the inner courtyard. Thick, velvety ribbons of royal blue have been draped along the chamber’s walls to add some color to the otherwise drab surroundings, strings of silver bells tying them at intervals to hooks set into the stone surface. Dried rose petals litter the worn stone, lending their color and refreshing scent to the entrance.

Lord Grey was an early riser. His most productive thinking was done before sunrise, before breaking fast even. So, his morning routine had settled into waking up well before the sun tinged the sky with colour, studying, taking notes, and thinking for a few hours, taking his morning constitutional, and then a hearty breakfast.

The sixteenth had started quite foggy, and Richelieu had needed more attention than usual, so when Henry decided to stop his work on the telescope eyepiece he was trying to fit, it was later than usual. Thus, he decided to break fast first, and then walk up to the castle. It would take him the better part of an hour to get there, so he directed Seamus to take the coach to the castle and wait for him there, as walking one way would be enough exercise for the day.

As he approached, Henry started looking for the best place to setup his telescopes. His observations from afar lead him to think that the roof of the Octagonal Tower would be best, as it was one story higher than the South Tower, and thus farther from ground-level lights. Still he would have to check for the evenness of the floor, and the availability of space. Once he got to the ground floor of the tower, he stopped for a few minutes to catch his breath. Lord Grey had never been the athletic sort, so an hour of walking, although great for his health, was still an effort. Hopefully, as he continued the custom, it would become easier over time.

Edited by Henry Grey

• Henry Grey changed the title to Of Telescopes and Many Other Things - Early Morning - 16th September

Francis had just finished his early morning sparring bout with Tommy and cleaned up. They had done it up on the battlements where they would mostly be undisturbed. He had discovered the utility of it when he's spent almost the entirety of the last winter in Windsor during recess.

The Duke had not yet risen which was typical - Buckingham rarely rose before eleven - and so Francis was exiting the rooms of the duke once again. Though spacious and a nice suite, it was not the space they were used to, and he did not wish to wake the bear with any noise. He had set Tom to some translations since the lad wished to continue his court education rather than go to Trinity as Francis had offered. He couldn't fault the boy, private tutors and Buckingham's opulence were far preferrable to a youth! 

It just so happened that he sighted Lord Grey. Buckingham had once pointed the man out to him, but they had yet to be introduced. Since Buckingham was acquainted with him, Francis thought the man might be intending to pay the duke a call. The ground floors of both towers were connected by doors that were open at this hour.

"Good morning, Lord Grey." He looked behind him from where he had come through the open doorway between towers. Buckingham's suite was just on the other side of it. "If you are intending a call on His Grace, I can tell you he rarely rises before eleven."

Henry had been lost in thought, pondering why his cat had been acting so strangely since they had arrived to Windsor Town. Is it the house he does not like? He keeps trying to get out all the time! Lord and cat had gotten along quite well since Richelieu was a kitten. It was unlike its usual self to try to nibble on his instruments, which was what the creature had tried to do that morning.

The baron was brought out of his reverie by a voice addressing him. As he looked towards the source, he saw a young man about six feet tall with thick and curly flaxen hair that fell well past his shoulders, large blue eyes, and a scar on the top of his right cheekbone. For a moment, Lord Grey was at a loss. The youth had the looks of a Villiers, but the Duke had no sons, at least none Henry knew of. He did have, however a good many cousins.

After a couple of seconds, a thought came to mind. Could this be the new Chancellor of Cambridge? Whether the man was or not, Henry was at a disadvantage. It was such an unexpected situation that Lord Grey did not even register that he should pay his respects to His Grace Buckingham, and soon.

“I am actually going to the roof of the tower, to see if telescopes can be safely set up there, before I ask permission to do just that”. An embarrassed pause. “Am I perhaps addressing Lord Kingston, Lord Chancellor of Cambridge?” It was a gamble. “If so, an honour to make your acquaintance”.

There was some confusion in the look he was given and, for a moment, Francis feared he had misnamed the man and it wasn't that same gentleman his uncle had pointed out at all!

Then, it seemed, the confusion was in who he was. That was all the much better although still made him blush a bit. The infernal cheeks of his. 

"My apologies for interrupting your thoughts," he said. "And for the lacking introduction." He offered an apologetic, youthful smile. "That is, indeed, who I am, and likewise." He probably did not look near old enough to be the Chancellor of Cambridge...

Feeling an explanation was in order, he added, "His Grace made mention of you and that he advocated our acquaintance, and it is my duty to know most courtiers in case His Majesty should ask for a name. One at which I haven't always proven the most skillful." 

As to the telescopes, he looked up as he thought of the roof and battlements though there was nothing there but ceiling. "I have sparred up there in the early mornings with my ward. It would provide an excellent vantage point. It tends to be less traveled than most places, but I have spent most of my Windsor time when court was not here."

“A pleasure, Lord Chancellor”, Henry said bowing formally. Francis did look a bit young for the appointment, but the King decided who got it, so what was, was. At least, according to Sir Isaac, the man had been a student in Trinity, and that qualified him for the post in Henry’s eyes. Besides, he was a cousin of the greatest peer in the realm, so no complaint from the baron on any level.

“His Grace Buckingham also mentioned your lordship when I paid my respects in London. We also seem to have another acquaintance in common, Sir Isaac Newton, a good friend of mine”. Newton had mentioned Francis with a certain degree of familiarity and joviality, but Lord Grey did not want to assume that Kingston considered the man a friend. If he did, he would say so. “I have wanted to make your acquaintance for some months now. There was a fire in Codnor Castle, though, and I had to go back home to oversee repairs to the residence. That was early last court season, and I have just gotten back”. Hopefully, that would be enough of an explanation as to why Henry had not attempted contact before.

Francis’ words regarding the tower’s roof made Henry’s face lit up. “As Sir Isaac would say, Praise the Lord for serendipitous circumstance!” A pause, weighing if he should make his request or not, then deciding to. “Since you are familiar with the Castle, would you mind joining me on my trek to the rooftop? We could talk on our way there…” And if the roof is empty, the most sensitive topics will be saved for that place.

In his typical good-natured way, Francis replied, "I am a lord and I am the Chancellor of Cambridge, but I think the only Lord Chancellor is Finch. He might get jealous."

Grey explained that they had more than one mutual connection, and Francis nodded with a smile. "Indeed, I do count Sir Isaac a good friend. Though we did not know each other well at Trinity, we were there at the same time. He was far more serious than I, then, and we enjoy each other's company and discourse." He smiled more thoughtfully and added, "If he counts you among his good friends, then you must be of good, trustworthy character, Lord Grey, for Sir Isaac is naturally very suspicious of other academics." The afterthought was then, "As he should be."

Francis nodded, blond ringlets trailing his shoulders jovially. "Then it is fortuitous we have crossed paths this morning, and I wouldn't mind at all."

“I stand corrected, Lord Kingston. Yes, the Lord Chancellor might object at anyone else being called such”. A pause, and a mischievous smile. “It is just that your Ducal Cousin seemed to like the phrase, and it stuck”. He will probably will not find that strange. I must remember not to call Lord Kingston that. I will reserve it for His Grace Buckingham.

“Sir Isaac is very protective of his research, yes. He is the one that prompted me to cypher all my notes. I started with a very simple cypher, but my current one includes Cyrillic and Hebrew, so it has evolved quite a bit”. Plus alchemical symbols and symbolic references, but there is no need to disclose such details… “In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to talk with you is precisely Sir Isaac. But first…”

As they started climbing the stairs that led to the roof, Henry began with “first, I would like to say that you have my full support in anything related to Cambridge. Your cousin appointed me Fellow of Trinity when he was Chancellor, a post I appreciated very much. I only left at the death of my brother and me becoming the 12th Baron Grey of Codnor. I did not have the time the position required, and there were other capable men who needed it, so I tendered my resignation. But if you ever want me to speak about some of my research…” not the most advanced, or the details, of course, “… I will gladly do it. Or if you want me to tutor a student in the little time being a peer and researching applied optics leaves me, I can do that too”. As long as he stays away from my notes.

"Ah yes, Ducal privilege. Nobody intelligent complains to or about His Grace, so he is far safer than I from such rebukes! Newly made lords and newly made earls do not have that license that the first non-royal peer of the realm commands." Buckingham commanded license like it was his calling in life, in that easy graceful way that Francis envied. In the current environment, Francis could afford no more additional talk about being an upstart, and that included allowing others to mistitle him more grandiosely; it would seem he sanctioned or sought it. But, he could still make a joke about it.

"Take heart, my Hebrew is not the best. I started my life in exile, so I did not much have the benefit of expensive tutors, and I had a lot of catching up to do in languages of learning. I broke the rules about using only those during hours of learning for a good long time, mostly out of necessity of not wishing to seem a mute," Francis joked. His Latin and Greek were exceedingly skilled now, but he had endured many beating days and copied Georgics exhaustively to get there. "Pearson and I have a good chuckle about it now, but imagine his surprise when one of his most unruly charges was name Chancellor; he was my housemaster back then."

Francis smiled, "I know what it is for the responsibilities of court to take you away from other pursuits. Your offer is much appreciated, Lord Grey. I find the areas I have most need in are to do with keeping water out of submerged things and exchanging air, and also things within the realm of pyrotechnics which might aide the Duke of Cumberland in some of his military endeavors, so if you have the acquaintance of any skilled in those areas, I can find them willing sponsors for their research. My own studies were much of Maths and Astronomy for navigational purposes, so your optics and telescopes are of natural interest for me. If you might be willing to endure the company of my young cousin and ward, he has been learning such things since he was ten on ships with me, but another perspective would do him well. He finds the lessons of a ducal household and court to be preferrable to university, so we provide him tutoring here, though I would never ask such a place of you. The benefit of your company and knowledge from time to time would be very generous."

“Well, if anyone can call on Ducal privilege it would be His Grace Buckingham”, Henry replied. From the tone he used it was obvious that he considered the head of the Villiers clan a man grander than life. “He made a great Chancellor of Cambridge”. A pause, before adding. “I am certain you will be too”.

“Hebrew is very much like Arabic in many ways. If you know one, the other comes rather easily”. The comment was made in passing, without realizing that most of Christian Europe could neither read nor write either. “I hear that ancient Egyptian inscriptions are proving most difficult to decipher, though”. The baron had not been exposed to them yet. His face lit up. “Good old Pearson! Stern, true, but he made sure we feisty ones understood our place in the great scheme of things called Cambridge. What is he doing nowadays?”

Then a request. One in the line of his previous offer. Not lectures at Cambridge, but something much more personal. A cousin of the Chancellor, living in the Buckingham household. How can I refuse? It is like doing a favour for His Grace Himself! “It will be an honour and a pleasure, Lord Kingston. I tend to work on research for about three hours before sunup, everyday but the sabbath day and Church feasts. I also gaze at the moon or the stars several times a week after sundown, as long as weather allows. If there is an eclipse or another phenomenon of note, I may stay up all night. Your cousin is welcome to join me whenever his current duties allow. May I ask what his name is?”

On the one hand, Henry was very protective of his notes. On the other, it was Buckingham’s household. He would just have to be extra careful until the youth proved his character. But even so, if the young man had interest, there was much that Henry could, and would, teach him.

Francis chuckled at the recollection of Pearson telling him all about the collective gasp amongst the heads of college at Cambridge upon his appointment. A good portion had taught him or heard of him. Half the table had probably birched him stupid at some point. They had probably feared Francis was going to be vindictive after the great number of punishments he'd taken, but he had no interest in that. 

"Stern, mmm, is that what they call it!" He paused. "His arms suffers far less these days, I can tell you, for being spared birching me for over a decade. He is impressed that I have since learned to walk through doors rather than climb through windows." Francis had been a very unruly youth. Between his grandfather, tutors, and schooling, it was rather amazing he still had feeling in his backside at all.

In seriousness, he informed Grey, "He still holds a position at the university, but he is now also Bishop of Chester in York. He is frequently at court and at the Gresham talks. There are privileges to being a bishop. I would not be surprised to see him for the christening."

Grey readily agreed to spend some time with Tom. The youth really did need experience with more gentleman than just Francis. Buckingham provided a little, mostly to scare the breeches off the boy with his impressive ducal presence and penchant for languages both ancient and modern, but the duke did not have time or patience for very much of that. "Thomas Spragge. And yes, a relation of the infamous admiral, before you ask. A cousin on my grandfather's side, not His Grace's. His father and brother died on one of my ships in the last war," Francis explained. "He was just ten-years-old then, so he had much practical experience but not the most socialization other than a ship's crew. He knows how to act and has a sound enough mind. Time on ships gets boring without books and things to do, so he is well-read. I will introduce you, but you must promise not to be easy with him or indulge him too much. I do not." 

For all his easy manner, Francis was a task-master. He had learned because no one had tolerated his antics either, and he was happy for it. His ward led a structured life. 

“Lord Kingston, what would many of us be if the likes of Pearson had not birched us into repentance? I still remember one time I took a newly polished loupe and used it to set fire to a rather large mound of dry autumn leaves on a sunny day. Heat made the burning leaves float in the air, endangering hay bales for many miles. I was given permission to remain standing the next three days”. Francis would understand the reference. Henry may have not been as unruly as Francis, but he had an inquiring mind, and sometimes the questions his brain asked were not the safest ones. “Or the time I packed a large lump of blackpowder under a number of bricks and directed the aforementioned loupe to it. I was almost expelled after the brick pieces broke several windows”. Only his father’s word on it never happening again had seen him remain in Cambridge. It had cost Henry a bleeding back, though. “I think that having studied at Cambridge makes you a better Chancellor, because you understand the spirit of the… most energetic students, shall we say?” Lord Grey tried to state it as gracefully as he could.

As for his newly acquired pupil, “Thomas Spragge, you say? And from a naval family too. You have my word that I will not be easier on him than on anyone else I would take under my wing, but I am certain he has been exposed to discipline already”. Laboratories had to be run like the military. An accident, or just being absent-minded, could have terrible consequences. “If he has the interest and the ability, he will learn how to polish lenses and mirrors, and his experience aboard ships might help me with an idea I have relating spyglasses. I am working on the chromatic aberration problem… the rainbow effect. In exchange I will ask the lad to teach me a few of the choicest colorful metaphors sailors use, just to augment my general knowledge”. There was an 

They finally arrived at the roof. Lord Grey looked around, making sure no one overheard, before continuing.

“There was a matter I wanted to talk with you about. Our mutual friend, Sir Isaac. You know how secretive he is regarding his work. He is also very sensitive at critique. Last time I talked with him he had the idea of securing a Royal Warrant for a printing press. Although that would be best, it is not an easy thing to acquire. But it got me thinking… what if he were to be given control of Cambridge University Press? I do not know if he would accept the post, if a new post would have to be devised, or even if it would interest him, but it would give him the control he wants, and thus freedom to publish. As a Cambridge man I would much rather see him published there than anywhere else. What do you think?”

There were many details not being considered, but Chancellors tended to work with ideas, with broad strokes, not getting mired in the details, or so Henry thought.

"Egads, he must have liked you if he let you stand afterwards," Francis commented. "We could trade a number of tales of woe I am sure, or at least I could. It would take up an entire evening and be quite the howl. I think my one earlobe shall forever be longer than the other, for he was always dragging me hither and thither by it."

He could almost feel a shadow of the pain across his arse right now!

"The boy surely knows some colourful words in several languages," Francis replied his eyes flaring some at the thought of that. The boy had learned which were not appropriate for the life of a gentleman or life at court. "He is inquisitive, that is for certain, and he can be very diligent when ridden to be so. I would like to say he shall behave perfectly and shall not test you, but I doubt it will be so. Youth always have a tendency to see what they might or might not get away with. He has not tried much with His Grace, but who would if they had half a brain in their head, so you should be on guard. He might very well try to see what he can get away with on you."

Once in the fresh air, Francis inclined his head as he listened to the thought about Sir Isaac and the printing press. Blond ringlets blew in the breeze. "I would have no qualms with that if he wishes it. I could surely make that happen. I have seen to harder tasks than that for him." He then added, "Or if he wishes an audience with His Majesty to ask for his own that would have no oversight, I can request such."

Henry smiled. The propriety learned by the now Lord Grey of Codnor had been absorbed through many a birching. The man of science was thankful for that now, as he would be either dead, or in exile for having killed someone through negligent recklessness. “Yes, my lord. I am certain we could share many a tale. If we ever do, let us not do it within earshot of Cambridge students. It would not do for them to hear what their Chancellor and a previous Fellow of Trinity did in their youth”. A thought, and a glint in the eye. “Perhaps we should do it within earshot of Oxford students, though. They might wish to transfer to Cambridge or at least make all kinds of trouble at that place!” It was said only half in jest.

“As for Master Tom Spragge, he will have to behave all the time… unless he is asked not to. He is too young to know better, I am sure. I do not command the respect of your ducal cousin but, believe me, I could stare down any student when lecturing at Trinity”. For all his good naturedness, Henry took natural philosophy very seriously. “He will quickly learn to differentiate when we are working and when we are not”. English nobility disliked the concept of work, but Lord Grey had no other way of describing it. Scientific research was not a life of leisure if you really devoted yourself to it. “But it will not be all work. There will be moments he will enjoy too. They are necessary reward for a job well done. Does he enjoy fireworks?”

After Francis offered for Newton more than what Henry could have hoped for, the Baron was left speechless for a moment. Even though he had asked in another man’s behalf, he was profoundly thankful. “Thank you, my lord. Would you like to write to him, or would you rather have me do it?” Either way Henry was very pleased with the result of his request. "Thank you very much", he repeated.

Perhaps Lord Kingston's generosity deserves knowing a bit more about my research. “Please humour me, Lord Kingston, what do you know about telescopes and spyglasses?”

"Does any lad not like fireworks? He likes anything that blows up. He's been around cannon for most all his life," Francis said chuckling. 

"Well, of course, you should write to him, Lord Grey. It was your friendship which procured the opportunity. I shan't take credit for it," the newly made earl replied. "You will find that His Grace, my cousin, has taught me very well the responsibility for advancing others who are worthy of it. When it is to do with ideas or research, I very well understand the need for discretion and to not falsely represent things; Sir Isaac would tell you his experience of that for I have aided him in secretive things before.

"I do not need more lauding, so my preference is for proving to be a good friend to have. Facilitating a position that is under my control or an audience that is within my ability is part of the duty of having a position." Then he quickly added, "Not that you would not know such duties, my lord, I merely say it because not every courtier is like that though more should be. There are others who will tramp over someone or not understand these things or require something in return. One must be careful when new to court. I was new to court not many season ago."

With a smile, Francis said, "Maths and Astronomy were the things I learned most of at Trinity, because I knew I wished to serve in the Navy from a young age. THere were naval wars on the horizon when I was a lad, and my grandfather was a good friend of the Duke of Cumberland for a long time, and I had a high-ranked ship admiral for a cousin. I was not born with many opportunities or much coin, Lord Grey. I had to depend upon what my grandfather could do for me, and he could provide me to go on Spragge's ship as a gentleman volunteer, because I could not have purchased a commission. I rose to be a lieutenant and a navigation officer during the 2nd war with the Dutch. By the time the 3rd such war rolled around, I had retired my commission and had my own mercantile ships and privateered. So that is to say I have much academic and practical experience with telescopes and spyglasses." With a chuckle he said, "Nothing like your own but far more than most."

Henry made a mental note to secure some fireworks for Tom to safely be in charge of lighting up at the end of the season… after the nobleman had properly secured permission to do so. He had come to learn that if one was humble enough when asking the powers that be, and made it clear that one was paying for the costs, those same powers tended to grant their approval… unless they wanted to keep the glory and still have you pay, that was.

“I will write to Sir Isaac then. He will be very thankful, I am certain. As am I”. The mention of secretive things did not pass unnoticed. Is this an opening? Let us see how the conversation evolves… No reference regarding that particular comment was made, at least not yet. “Sir Isaac is a visionary, a dreamer. He designs things in his sleep. I, on the other hand, read about ideas and spend months and even years trying to either build them or perfect them. He is the much greater man”. Henry’s words were sincere. “To be able to help to make his ideas known is a source of pride and joy for me”. A pause. “You are sadly correct, Lord Kingston. Not all courtiers serve selflessly”. The history of the Greys was full of selfishness, both within and without the family.

“Both theoretical and practical experience in astronomy and mathematics? You do stand far above than most!” It was not meant as a compliment, but as a helpful acknowledgement. “So…” Henry began piecing his ideas in order. It was far easy to come up with things than to explain them in an intelligible manner. “You have seen the chromatic aberration…” he then added, just in case, “the rainbow effect… when looking through a spyglass or a long telescope? My current line of research strives to get rid of that, or at least minimize it”. A pause just in case Francis needed time to digest the information. Lord Grey then added, “in his telescope’s design, Sir Isaac side-stepped the problem by not using lenses, only mirrors. But mirrors are not practical for spyglasses, only lenses, especially at sea”. In land, a large enough set of mirrors could theoretically work, but the larger the elements, the greater the probability of an imperfection making the element unusable. “So, I started thinking. Sir Isaac showed how light separates colours when passing through a prism. That was my starting place”. Another pause, to see if his line of thought was being followed. “That is, in essence, a side effect of using a magnifying lense, whether a loupe, a refracting telescope, or a spyglass, which is nothing but a portable telescope”. A final pause, before an important question. “What if we were to take the separated colours of a first prism or lens, and use a second prism or lens to regroup colours back?”

That had been Henry’s spark. Newton’s prism being countered by another prism. The rest of his thinking had come from that original thought.

“Am I making sense so far, Lord Kingston? Or do I sound like a madman?”

Francis smiled and nodded, "It would be hard to miss as a navigation officer on a ship or as a sea captain in general. We spend an inordinate amount of time looking through them. It is something we learn to get used to in a way. Your mind develops an ability to ignore it, somewhat, as much as such a thing is possible at least."

Seeing to something to some degree with a spyglass was better than seeing nothing at all. 

As it became clear that Lord Grey's research and work at Cambridge was in minimizing that effect or getting rid of it, Francis' blue eyes widened. "Truly? Well, that would be...remarkably useful." He was, clearly, a bit stunned. His experience and education allowed him to understand how difficult that would be. "If one could see better and make judgements before an enemy...that would be an important findings, Lord Grey, for our Navy." It made him think of Cumberland's long-reach cannon. The one he had been working on providing funding for to be helpful to Cumberland and the Navy. "His Highness, the Duke of Cumberland I mean, have you seen a demonstration of his new cannon. The ones with further range, made of different materials to current cannon? Spyglasses that could discern things more clearly and at more distance would be of use in employing those to their greatest potential." 

Francis hmmmed in thought. Cumberland had just asked him to search out such things. More specifically in pyrotechnics but in anything that might be militarily useful.

He nodded along with the talk about side-stepping the notion with mirrors. He understood that the new telescopes did such a thing. His Majesty had one as the King was quite fond of inventions and advancements in science. 

"Is that...possible?" Francis asked, getting the idea but having no conception if it was fantasy or not. He was far from Lord Grey or Newton. "Do prisms do both...I mean...can one loop back together the light?" Francis chuckled, "You do not sound like a madman, merely an inspired one. I am friends with Sir Isaac after all!" Wild ideas were not precisely unknown to Francis. 

The Chancellor seemed keen on the military applications of what Henry was researching. There would be more, the man of science was sure. But there were civilian applications too. Search and rescue at sea or in high, snowy mountains, for example. A ship at sea signaling cargo status to a looking glass in the port she was approaching would give a financial advantage. But the military tends to move discovery forward, so if that is the way, that is the way.

“I am sure many applications will be found once the right materials and designs are found. One thing you must take into consideration is that once an improved design starts to be used, it will only be a matter of time before other countries get their hands on a sample, and start researching how to copy, or even improve, on it”. But if competing countries pushed discoveries forward, Henry was not going to complain. Besides, the process could take a few decades. “Still, for a time England would have an advantage, just like the Dutch had the advantage in the beginning of this century”. They had been the first to use spyglasses aboard ships.

Lord Kingston mentioned Prince Rupert, the second time he had been told about the man in the same number of days. His Grace Cumberland was, just like the king, famous for his interest in natural philosophy. The difference was that Cumberland built at a much larger scale, not in a private laboratory. Any Peer that had been to the naval discussions at the House of Lords had heard of the prince’s famous cannon. Thrice as expensive as regular cannon, while about twice as good. Most civilians balked at the cost, and pushed for quantity over quality, but Henry was not one of those. Henry understood the need to finance the production of new ideas, or even newer ideas would not come to the fore, and the field would stagnate.

“There is a limit to the usefulness of improved eye pieces due to the earth’s curvature, as you know. But I do not think any existing cannon can fire that far… or am I not correct? As for His Grace’s improved cannon, no, I have never seen one, merely heard of them. I am not an expert in artillery, so I would only get the basics of the design, even if I was to read building plans and specifications”.

Then, a moment of… disbelief? Wariness? Surprise? A bit of all those, plus some more? Henry knew he was pursuing something new, and in research new meant hard. “If you use two prisms made of the same glass Sir Isaac used for his*, which was probably something like plate glass from the Vauxhall glassworks, the effect is amplified, not lessened. But there are other glasses with different optical properties. Venetian glass, which I started using, has not given me good results for this, although Venetian cristallo can be used for the big lens in the front. On the other hand, Bohemian glass, which is made with the addition of pot ash, shows much promise. There is also a man named George Ravenscroft, an Englishman, seemingly trained in Italy. He has been working with a mixture he calls flint glass. I am of a mind to locate him, and ask what he is doing, perhaps exchange a trick or two I learned in Bohemia in exchange for his ideas. No one would freely give the details, but the generalities could be a good starting point”.

That was more information he had ever given anyone, even Newton, but his resources were not unlimited, and someone like Cumberland or Buckingham, perhaps even both, taking interest in his work would make for a more rapid pace of advance, or so Lord Grey hoped. “So, to sum it up, it is possible, and my research has shown some promising results. I have also seen improved results using Bohemian style glass and practices, but I have not removed the rainbow totally. Still, I am certain it can be done”.

OOC:

* Henry is speculating here. He has no idea what the recipe for making Newton's prisms was.

He nodded as Grey said the military use would not last forever. It was, of course, similar with the cannon. They could be guarded of the technology, but controlling the distribution of a cannon was simpler. An intelligent ship captain could scuttle the ship or have the cannon thrown overboard before getting boarded. It was not foolproof. I was something.

"And, of course, for our trade...There is the use of sighting pirates before the pirates sight you," Francis added, with a chuckle. "At a distance, it can be difficult to know for certain what one is seeing with the distortion."

As to the curvature of the earth, well, Francis was no expert to that degree. He did not think any cannon could fire that far.

"That seems like a problem for someone far more skilled at maths and such matters than I am, my lord," Francis said, with a light chuckle. "But, no, I do not think the cannon fire far enough for that to be a problem, but I am not the expert in them. His Highness allowed me on his ship when he fired them for the court, but he has not shared with me the particular details of building them, and I have no asked. I can confirm from the perspective of a man who has commanded ships in war, that they are formidable and perhaps double the reach of typical cannon. The Duke of Cumberland is a visionary in many things, not just militaria. I have told him that I would have an eye on our researchers and scholars at Cambridge for any who might be useful to his purposes, but alas my personal use is only in ship design. Even for that, I require him to have someone to look over the mathematics.*"

Francis nodded, not particularly understanding the differences in glass properties and what they would do. All he could say to that was, "I buy and ship murano glass, so I do have connections with Italian glassworks. My last shipment was shattered in the entirety, though, so I cannot offer much with that. Lord Chichester wondered if I might have a contact who would be willing to move here to produce pieces with his art studio...residence? In honesty, I am not sure what it is but he is a great patron of arts. I thought perhaps one of his artists might have a use for the larger shattered pieces for stained glass of some kind."

(OOC - when Marie played Rupert, she had Rupert ask for someone to check Francis' work in his ship designs, but lauded him for attempting to design such a thing.)

“Aye, pirate evasion would benefit too. One does need to see the colour of a flag”. If a ship used only colours and not shapes in their signals, and the colours could be discerned from afar, it would also be a minor coup. “Hopefully a solution will present itself soon”. Henry was of the thinking that you discovered things, you did not invent them. They were there, hidden under layer upon layer of unknowing. All a natural philosopher did was to unearth them, to bring them to light.

Bring them to light. What an appropriate metaphor in this case.

“I am afraid I am not of much use at designing or building either cannon or ships. I could work out the maths for siege artillery once I was taught the basics, though”. He had not been the best at geometry, but he could hold his ground unless someone extraordinary was his opponent. “Same with a direct fire piece, I guess”.

At the mention of a whole shipment of Murano glass, Lord Grey’s eyebrows rose. “Yes, Italian glasses in general have that minor problem. They shatter easily, unlike Bohemian glass. Hmm…” an idea was forming in his mind. “How much of that load is cristallo*? I will buy some of the cristallo you have at cost. At least your loss will not be as severe”. It was bound to be a hefty sum, but Henry could use it for front lenses, and he knew the properties of the glass from previous studies*. “You have my word that it would all go to researching spyglasses, and thus for the benefit of the Navy Royal”. Another thought. “I could also provide a few contacts in Prague. I think your shipping losses would be lessened due to the characteristics of their glass”.

Chichester. Henry had not seen the man at the reception, but that did not mean the Earls was not in Windsor. “Lord Chichester has an eye for beauty, that is for sure”. And I owe him for not looking like yesteryear’s fool today. “Another use for the coloured glasses would be to melt them and make lamp glasses of different colours, for signals between ships at night. I know it is an expensive glass for that purpose, but at least the material could be used for something…”

OOC:

* Henry has travelled to Venice several times as part of his search for the best materials for making optical-grade glass.

"Oh, I meant not just with cannon. Cumberland seems to have that well in hand. He has interest in any advancements that could be useful militarily, and things far beyond that from my understanding. He speaks mostly with me about the naval things because that is what I know personally. Many at court do not see him as the great mind that he is, but he has come up with or financed many great ideas and advancements. He shares such interests with His Majesty. One of my first audiences with His Majesty, he allowed me in his closet where there are things of all manner of strange design and mechanical things."

The King spent a lot of time alone there at Whitehall. It was a place of solace and a place where he invited few people. It was a private domain that he only shared with persons of intellect who would truly appreciate it. 

"Quite a bit is colored, but I am sure you would find more than enough for your purposes. I would be happy to gift you whatever pieces you would like if you share the advancements with His Highness for the Navy. I can send Tom to London to get some and bring them back for you," he said with a nod. As to loss of coin and cargo, Francis shrugged, a more common gesture than he usually displayed at court, "The loss is regrettable, but one takes losses in such ventures all the time. Squalls are uncontrollable, and we have learned a thing or two about packing them, so the value is in the lesson."

At the suggestion of re-melting the glass, Francis raised both brows. He had not particularly contemplated that, but if it was possible his losses could be re-made into other things. 

"For that suggestion you may definitely have whatever pieces you wish, Lord Grey. I have crates sitting in my warehouse doing nothing." It might be something of a generous gift, but if the gift was also a kind of donation to Naval advancement, then Francis was happy to do it. The young earl was a loyal fellow, and he felt it was his duty to continue his loyalty to Cumberland. Now that he had more ability, he would put it to good use. One should put their raising to the use of the King and the country; a sentiment Cumberland had shared with him and words his grandfather might also have said. 

"I did not think of making gifts of it for repurposing or selling it to repurpose. I will find out if the colored glass might be off use for our ships. Thank you for the suggestion."

His Grace Cumberland was an intellectual giant, Henry was well aware of that. He was also a keen investor in colonial endeavours. Not the penniless prince he once was anymore. So, how the man spent his time said much about what his interests were. Up to a point, it was the same with the King. Charles II had to remain a bit more distant than he probably would have liked, because it was lonely to be the one at the top.  I do my duty as a Baron. His Majesty does his as King. I would not like to be king. It must be a very heavy burden. Monarchs tended not to be happy.

“I would love to once be able to see His Majesty’s Closet”, the Baron said almost under his breath. It was a passing comment, more out of curiosity than anything else. He was not hinting at Francis getting him there.

“As for the Murano glass, yes, please. Ask your ward to bring a bag or two of the smallest pieces, even dust would do…” it was easier to measure precise for mixing and melting if the glass was ground first. “And no need for him to hurry. There is no immediate need for it”. Henry had two eyepiece sets he had to polish before thinking about melting more glass. “Weather may be uncontrollable my lord, but minimizing loss is important, do you think not?” Henry had had to learn that now that Codnor was his. Certain principles could be applied both to estates and to commercial enterprises, or so the Baron thought.

Lord Grey smiled. It seemed his suggestion would see some use. “Your underlings can contact my valet, Reginald. He will gladly give them the information on who to contact and maximum price to pay for the melting services”. The man had researched the same for Henry’s needs, after all. “They should ask for bulk rate discounts, though”. Most courtiers wanted to be seen as not caring about what they paid for anything. Some were like that, but those were either filthy rich, or would soon be penniless. Henry had some wealth, yes, but he needed to take care of it if he wanted to see it grow. My grandchildren. I must never forget my future grandchildren. Hopefully, there will be a number of dowries to be paid!

The conversation with Lord Kingston had been more than worth it. There was still one more topic that Henry decided to approach before taking his leave, though. A second one would perhaps have to wait. “Lord Kingston, a question if I may. On my last visit to His Grace Buckingham, I mentioned opium dreams. He said that those could be arranged. Do you think he was serious?”

Henry hoped that the Duke had been.

Francis giggled some at the muttering under Grey's breath. He was sure that was a pinnacle of existence for most gentlemen of such scientific mind. 

If I ever have chance to put such a thought in His Majesty's ear

Never had he thought his position as a Gentleman of the Bedchamber would be a role that was never technically off duty if one did it properly. Of course, the heads of families had such a position out of rank and need, and served a different purpose that was more political. Theirs was less duty and more right. Francis had an utterly different purpose than that as his uncle had taught him; he had to be informant, memory, companion, servant, lady-master or whoremaster (depending), entertainment, and present himself well for his family. That was his use. He had no strong understanding of politics. 

"It is but a short trip, and he would be pleased for the excuse to ride and deliver some orders to my warehouse crew. He enjoys that sense of responsibility, and it encourages his sense of autonomy in small doses," Francis said of Tom. 

"Oh I shall certainly ask for a discount for such business endeavors. My beginnings were not lofty, Lord Grey. Business negotiations might be beneath most peers, but I view getting swindled to be the greater crime and idiocy."

As to the last question, Francis smiled and nodded. "His Grace always knows where to find those less-encountered pleasures and pursuits, but in this case they are close to home. I can arrange it easily, but such things are to be used sparingly, you understand, and should not be done alone or without a watcher. I have a blend which also includes tobacco and other herbs, not the drudge you might find in the London back alleys."  

Henry assented, agreeing with Francis’ words regarding Tom. A ward had to learn from his mentor, and Lord Kingston seemed to be handling it well. “it is settled, then. Tell Master Tom to deliver the glass to my house in town”. The Baron gave the Earl directions on how to get there.

Henry had not always been Lord Grey. Most of his adult life he had lived within the boundaries of an allowance. Yes, he had traveled extensively, but that meant he had had to economize in other areas, with clothing and food being the ones hit hardest. Negotiating prices, in Henry’s case negotiating the silver paid for manufacturing secrets, was a skill both men seemed to have in common. “I agree with you, Lord Kingston. A fool and his money are soon parted”.

Then, the unusual topic of opium. “My interest comes from reading that such dreams might provide insights that in normal circumstances the mind does not arrive to. I have hit a particularly irritating hindrance in my research. Perhaps the dreams of the milk of the poppy can clear some of the blockage”. Francis’ warnings seemed serious… and the man sounded like he knew what he was doing. “So I bow to your wisdom as to the what, when, where, and how… whenever it is not inconvenient to you, of course”.

He had not assumed Lord Grey wished opium for the other uses of the substance. That would more be the purpose of a water pipe and the Merry Gang on opulent and tasseled cushions with some rope climbing and twisting performer...with some undulant music in the background. 

Still, some music was always a good accompaniment for the journeys the substance provided. 

"We should do it at your place here, somewhere that is comfortable and somewhat familiar and - of course - away from the noises and bustle of Windsor Castle. Disturbances around you can be an unwelcome stimulation, especially if you wish to focus on something or remain open to the, well, wanderings of the universe."

He was attending Saturday morning into Sunday morning on his usual rotation. Nobody wished to have to attend during chapel, and the King required non-napping accompaniment in chapel, even after a hard night of partying. It was a frequent place of repose for the King, who had a tendency to start to snore until it was time for hymns if one was not there to give him a surreptitious poke at the right moments. It was a bizarre duty, to be sure, but an important one. Buckingham had told him the King had always enjoyed the sights and sounds of rising bosoms in praise of the Lord but had been a constant upright sleeper through the rest of services. It was a Blessing none could see his eyes but the Queen.

"Early in the week, I think. I attend His Majesty Saturday into Sunday, and t'would not be good to tempt God on a Sunday evening." Francis might have his libertine tendencies, but he also had a good enough esteem of God to behave himself on a Sunday, mostly. Any naval officer or sea captain of long-term voyages learned a good deal about being close with God; Death was everywhere and sudden. The things that were fearful were of a level of fearful most gentlemen could not fathom. Francis had walked with those fears and experiences.

“My rented house in Windsor Town it will be then". Henry gave Francis the particulars. "I will just tell the servants to keep away and make sure neither they nor the Cardinal disturb us”. Henry did not think about explaining who, or what, the Cardinal was, his mind focused on the details of the meeting. “I will have food and drink from The White or The Toes delivered”. He would also have a very old apple brandy from the town of Lisieux, in Normandy, but he was keeping it a surprise.

He attends His Majesty Saturday into Sunday… a Gentleman of the King then. No wonder Lord Kingston could ask the King to listen to Newton’s request. An idea began forming in Henry’s mind.

Henry had enough fear of the Almighty in him not to tempt Him with opium on the Sabbath. Not Catholic-level everyday guilt, but on Sundays it was close. “Agreed. Not on the Sunday. Monday or Tuesday would do for me, unless either of us is required for some court function or other”. You never knew with the Merry Monarch and his court. A last-minute event could intrude on the best laid plans.

Lord Grey removed his watch from a waistcoat pocket. “I fear I have an appointment, Lord Kirke, so I ask to be excused. But thank you very, very much for everything. You are a true gentleman”. If there was nothing else, the Baron would bow formally, and take his leave.

OOC: Fin?

"The Cardinal?" Francis asked, with a cheeky grin. He assumed the baron wasn't hiding a Catholic priest of that rank in his Windsor house and speaking of it so openly, so instead he added, "Is he a capuchin monkey per chance? My time in Italy has taught me their behavior quite similar!"

The baron checked the time and declared that he had a conflicting appointment that he had to attend. Francis nodded, "If I am not back before His Grace awakens and do not have His Majesty as an excuse, I am likely to get an earful." He smiled. "A man has many duties and the Duke is not a man who consciences those due him being forsaken. I will accompany you back down and then we can part ways."

Francis had no reason to linger up on the battlements or rooftops.

(OOC - Psssst, he can't be called Lord Kirke ;) II'm just gonna ignore it as driver error) 

"Armand Jean du Plessis, Duc de Richelieu, l'Éminence rouge". Then a grin. "No, not the bones of the French statesman, but a cat from Khorassan I named after him, although the creature behaves as if he were a Prince of Rome. Hopefully the Mob will not burn him at the stake for his manner of action". Then, an explanation. "That particular French First Minister was very fond of cats. I know of at least fifteen felines that graced his palace. In fact, in his will he left a palace and monies to see that his cats were taken care of in the manner they were accustomed to!" Henry smiled. Cats were independent, egotistical creatures, but at least they did not pretend to be otherwise. You always knew where you stood with them: you were their servant, and they did not pretend otherwise.

"So, my servants call him the Cardinal. I do not mind, and often call him that myself. Other times I simply call him Rich".

Both men started climbing down the stairs. Two important things had been accomplished: determining that the tower had enough space for the telescopes, and an important advance towards Newton getting control of a print shop. Other things had also been discussed too, of course.

"I am very thankful for your help regarding so many matters, Lord Kingston. I will await word about when it will be best to do the... exploration of dreams". Then, a realization. "And I must call upon your Ducal Cousin. His Grace would not forgive me if I do not do it promptly. His greatness demands it to be so!" If he was jesting or not was not easily discerned.

With a final bow at the bottom of the stairs, Henry bowed formally, and took his leave.

OOC: Fin, and thank you very much!

Edited by Henry Grey