JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sign in to follow this  
Defiance

Chatham & Kingston | (Cont after Puppy thread)

Following the affair with the puppies and time spent in conversation with the ladies to give them their due appreciation, His Majesty asked for Chatham and Kingston to stay behind, needing to speak with both on shared and separate matters, both light and serious. 

Ladies and pups save two finally gone (minded by a page) for the time being, the King turned his attention to the two young men.

"Gentlemen, I heard quite a story during my entertainments last evening, when speaking of the arm wrestling wagers of the other night, and it seems there are some other questionable gentlemen avoiding the two of you, thinking they have lost a very significant wager?" the King chuckled at describing the Merry Gang as questionable gentlemen. 

"What say you, Chatham? One of you ought collect on the lazy rogues. They seem to think some bounty of points prevailing here."

Charles was thrown for a moment. The Christmas season wager with the Merry Gang had slipped from his mind, superseded by other sport and schemes. It was only the King's mention of points that brought recollection. He laughed.

"Between one thing and another, I, at least, had quite forgotten the entire affair, your Majesty," he admitted cheerfully. "And now that I think on it, I do not remember that it was ever officially concluded. We shall have to convene, compare scores, and settle accounts, eh, Kingston?" His grin sharpened. "I'll confess that I am heartened to hear that these 'questionable gentleman,' believe that they have lost."

All the more so as Charles did not think his own score particularly impressive.

Juliana and Caroline, for a total of five points. All scored before the wager officially began.

That was an amusing thought, but it did change the fact that a man who had committed to the wager could quite easily have outscored him.

Which begs the question — did anyone?

It was not the money that he minded. Charles just liked to win, despite whatever equanimity or humility he might endeavour to display.

"Well, I freely admit that I had forgotten the entire thing as well, so anything of mine was surely not because of any wagers!" Francis chuckled. "Though I might be able to give Chatham a contest for points, I doubt it would be acceptable to the competition no matter what I say, so I think I ought disqualify myself for the greater good!" He let out a bit of a laugh and explained, "If I make a claim, they will just complain that it is not points gotten of my own accord and refuse to pay."

There was a large amount of truth in that estimation, for ladies oft tried to get close to the King via his gentlemen, so the Merry Gang was like to say it was the promise of the King's cock that ensured Francis' success.

Francis did not wish to argue the point by providing that he had no more fucking now than he had before his position, because they weren't likely to believe that either if it cost them the bet.

"Thus, I think it best if I support whatever claims Chatham might make in order to best divest them of their coin since they are avoiding us, eh? Serves them right!"

"Pa! But I wouldn't tell them that, Chatham!" The King's guffaw was deep enough to reverberate. A few chuckles followed as he shook his head.

"My, but you two are just as bad! Forgot!" He shook and finger at them both as he was wont to do with young men, even though Chatham had neither the appearance or experience of a young man, and the King well knew that Francis might have the appearance of youth but that was quite deceiving in a plethora of ways. 

"Kingston, but you are devious for looking so angelic!" the King laughed again as Francis postulated that they ought plan to win the coin from that bunch of lazy louts regardless since they were being avoid. "What say you, Chatham? Shall we turn it to a joke on them and steal the pot?"

Charles accepted his royal ribbing in good grace, chuckling along with his monarch. It was deeply amusing, after all.

"I am heartened, at least, that I am not alone in my forgetfulness," he said, grinning at Kingston, and then cocking his head as the other laid out his position on the wager. 

His Majesty is not wrong, he thought appreciatively. Kingston, like Milton's Lucifer, hid a cunning mind behind fair features.

"Well, their attempted perfidy deserves punishment, does it not?" he asked with a wolfish grin. "But it would be remiss of me not to offer Kingston the same courtesy, if his tally is higher. And if it is not, then I hope you will at the very least permit me to return your stake."

Francis gave a nod of appreciation at Chatham's offer of deferring to the winner of the tally between them. It was quite sporting, and the angelic luciferian took note of that for the future. 

"My tally is in His Majesty's favor, Chatham, and those rogues will surely attempt to escape payment by any means possible. They will say my tally isn't credited to me and we may lose it all." He let out a small huff of amusement, "But I will surely keep my share of the pot for going along with the ruse if you please." 

He looked somewhat expectantly between the King and Chatham, for surely Chatham would offer His Majesty something for being in on the scheme and presenting the opportunity! Francis was well-aware that the King enjoyed being 'in' on such jokes, shirking a little hint of the royal mantel for even a short while.

(OOC - I will let Chatham post again before I post CR, since it's the natural progression and makes more sense for Chatham to reply to Francis before I reply as CR)

"I suppose that, having opted to avoid their debts by avoiding us, they would not baulk at stretching even sophistry to breaking point," Charles conceded, returning Kingston's nod. "If you are certain then, I would be most grateful for your help."

He smiled thinly and turned to the King.

"We shall have to settle accounts with our debtors at a time and place such that your Majesty can observe. Their faces are sure to be entertaining, and some amusement is the least you are owed for the reminder."

It was the very least, too, and Charles would give more, once he could think of something appropriate to gift the King.

"Chatham it is, then, and Kingston is likely right in his assumption. At least Johnny would complain." Rochester would try to skate out of payment, surely, for he had lost quite a few wagers recently. As well as the sum he had forfeited in fine over the Brighton incident.

"That would be immensely enjoyable. It is easily enough arranged. Dorset can wrangle together the group if he can be stolen away from Newcastle for a moment, and Kingston can keep you aware of a when and where." The monarch swiftly assigned responsibility for the execution of this amusement, trusting in Chatham to uphold his piece by insisting he was the amusing victor and providing the 'evidence' or 'names' to which he and Kingston would agree. 

One might have even forgotten the strangeness of the morning's interview after such a change!

"Best to be on your toes, Chatham. When coin is involved, that lot can be ruthless. Be prepared to be very convincing," the King chuckled, already anticipating a lighter evening some time in the future. 

It was clear that the audience was at its end, though there was much promise for the remainder of the season. John Ashburnham, who had been so quiet he had disappeared into the decor, stepped forward to show Chatham out.

"And Kingston, Ashburnham informed you to stay? There is a task that requires your attention." His Majesty was most anxious to have Mademoiselle Vauquelin checked upon. It was the cub's duty as her keeper, and the King could only assume that she was in a fit state. Though he held Ranelagh in high esteem, he was not the one closest to Nicci, and the King wished Francis to take Nicci back to George's, where he was far more sure she could be both protected from harm and wagging tongues. 

And His Majesty wished to hear from Ranelagh the details of what had happened outside, even though he had already heard them from Etherege. He most expediently wished a changing of the guard!

(OOC - Seeing as I play Kingston, I cannot mod him "winning" the subterfuge via CR no matter what ;) so he cannot be the candidate put forth from an IC or OOC standpoint! Thanks for allowing Chatham to be volunteered for some fun!)

Francis merely dipped his head as he was volunteered to keep Chatham discretely in the know of when the King next planned to attend a gathering with the Merry Gang. 

"And if you need run anything through me beforehand to coordinate with your story, I am at your disposal," Kingston added, with a grin. His Majesty enjoyed little tidbits, even before the main act.

Before long Ashburnham was showing Chatham out. His Majesty then alluded to what Ashburnham had told him outside. That he was to stay and attend, for some reason. It reminded Francis of all that business with the sword which caused him to look down at the hilt of his, the one the King had gifted him some seasons back, and then look back up.

For some reason he already had a feeling that he was not attending in order to set up a illicit rendevous or trip to a whorehouse! 

"Then our course is set," Charles agreed, nodding along with Kingston as their sovereign laid out their plan of action. He was quite looking forward to this he found, for more reason than just winning the wager. The thought of getting one over the Merry Gang was deeply pleasing in and of itself, and he was by no means immune to feeling flattered at being in on a joke with his Majesty. (And his practical side whispered that this might be a glorious opportunity, if he played his part well, and that, too, was a pleasing thought.)

"I'll let you know," he said, turning his attention to Kingston and matching the other man's grin. Charles liked Kingston, he decided. 

The audience was coming to an end, he realised, and he laughed along with the King at the final rejoinder.

"I endeavour to always be on my toes, your Majesty, but I shall strive to be doubly so. It would be a great shame to let them slip the net now."

He made his bows and allowed Ashburnham to lead him out.

Sign in to follow this