JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sign in to follow this  
Davina Wellsley

An Assignation, Thursday 7th, 5 pm The Walled Garden

(placeholder for 'Man in Silver Mask')

The Walled Garden

The walls are covered with climbing roses and ivy, while also containing many other rare plants, including a weeping willow. The enclosed walls give the impression of being separated from court, almost in another world. Not surprisingly, the Queen used to favour this garden by day, often drawing comfort from its surroundings and the familiar scent of orange blossoms from the citrus trees scattered throughout.

Davina had arrived early simply because she had been jittery all day and the chance to be outside alone was a thing she could not ignore.

Since that Auction months ago she had, from time to time, spared a thought as to this Gentelman's identity but had remained clueless. That he was a Courtier he had to be for how else could he have been a part of that and his manner has also been a clue. Well she would soon know it and he hers.

Spring had arrived and flowers bloomed and the air was scented with fragrance and from beneath her own mask - the 'bee' - her blue eyes sparkled and her step was a bit lighter as she ambled through the pathways dressed in pale lemon colored silks with pearls at neck and ears and her black hair casual in its complecated artwork worn up with tiny tendrils that curved about her face. She bent to pluck a pale pink rose sniffing in the scent then tucked it into the blue ribbon that held the pearl bracelet in place on her right wrist. The colors complement she knew and she gave a satisfied nod as she continued on glancing over one shoulder now and then to see if he had arrived.

Edited by Davina Wellsley

Davina waited for ten minutes and then a half an hour and there was still no man in a Silver Mask to appear.

In fact, she was quite alone for it was not a hospitable area for passersby, so there were no others walking there or meeting others. After a few more minutes, a middle-aged gentleman with a servant following him with paper plans entered into the walled garden, but neither of them were wearing a mask. The older gentleman could have almost been mistaken for Baptist May, but it clearly was not.

The pair appraised Davina in her mask some distance away, the elder with brow raised. Then both went back to their business. The elder pointed to a potted citrus tree and potted Ficus. 

Honestly. She'd been pacing forever or so it seemed and then there was movement ....

Turning she looked towards the entrance her heart beating a bit faster as finally things would all be discovered!

Not the Masked Man in Silver but rather an older Gentleman and servant who spared her a passing glance then carried on.

She had had enough. She took a few more quick turns her skirts billowing from her pace then at last she halted blew out a breath and then snapped the mask from her face and tossed it away giving it a kick for good measure.

"The idea of making me wait only to not arrive .... Well all the btter for tis obvious he is quite uncaring .... Well his loss. His loss!"

She turned and then retraced her orginal steps and just before she left she pulled the flower that rested along her wrist and that too was dashed to the ground and then she was gone.

Edited by Davina Wellsley

As Davina huffed and then threw her mask, she drew the attention of the pair again.

It was quite odd, for the day before there had been a man in a mask who was in a similar huff of annoyance. Though he had not thrown his mask or kicked anything. He had sworn with several expletives and stalked off.

When her words cut through the air, the older gentleman really stopped what he was doing and took notice. 

"By chance, my lady, if you were looking for a gentleman in a mask, there was one waiting here yesterday for quite some time." 

Though the man and the servant had no idea of the circumstances, it seemed a bit too odd to be entire coincidence when paired with what she said. Little did the two bystanders know that the meeting had been moved one day from Tuesday to Wednesday by note and somehow Davina had misunderstood the time and come on Thursday instead.

Such things happened in the busy bustle of court lives and young people were quite dramatic, so the middle-aged gentleman was quite used to the expressed frustrations of missed assignations. 

His words reached and she came to a sudden halt then walked towards him saying aloud

"What? What? How can that be - it was Today!"

She drew a breath then quielty set to make amends.

"Forgive me Sir for my rudeness - you have no bearing on this and so I must blame my Temper for my behaviors." 

She gave him a nicely done respectful curtsey. She pressed one hand to a cheek sure that it blossomed pink. Her smile was charming and she hoped he would forgive her.

"It was arranged you see to meet here, today, Wednesday at five of the clock  ....."

"There is nothing to forgive," the gentleman wisely said. 

The servant ignored the exchange entirely, looking with interest at the pot.

"Therein, I believe, is the issue...For today is Thursday."

"Thursday?" 

Davina was cleary taken back by this revelation.

"But .... I mean .... How is that possible? How can I have mixed the days like that?"

She looked at the Gentlement rather intently as if he could actually provide her the answer.

"And how was that Gentleman then?"  

The gentleman was not about to answer any questions about how any lady had been mistaken. He was of an age where the whims of young women were well-known.

"I could not rightly say, for we were each about our business. It is merely difficult to miss the notability of a man in a mask in the daylight when there are no such parties." Then he added, "Though I do not think he was happy of the situation, as one might expect, by the speed in which he finally left." 

"Oh Dear. This is most unfortunate! How am I to know who he is .... "

She gave a sigh in frustration nibbling at her bottom lip.

'Whats to be done then? I shall have to be clever indeed ..." That she was speaking her thoughts aloud as she paced a bit she didn't realize.

"What would you do in the circumstances? I mean if you were that Gentleman ...."

That she might well be fishing for some guidance might not escape his notice.

Sign in to follow this